[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Five Color Draft MTG Deck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 4chin.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
4chin.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
How fucked am I if I was a dumbass and drafted cards of all five colors? I've got dual lands, but it still seems sketchy as a new MTG player.
>>
>>44045519
It depends on what format you're drafting, most cubes and certain booster draft formats have viable 5+ colour strategies but for the most part, you want to stick to 2 or 3 colours.

The current format of 3xBFZ is almost exclusively 2 colour unless you're drafting Converge, which can have all 5 colours. Released a year ago, 3xKTK was a format where the standard was drafting 3 colours for one of the 5 clans, but there were fringe 2 colour strategies like BW warriors as well as plenty of 5 colour control decks since the fixing in that set was so good.
>>
>>44045742
This. It's all about the environment.

As a beginner I would avoid doing so though. Balancing manabases is sometimes complex.
>>
>>44045742
>most cubes and certain booster draft formats have viable 5+ colour strategies

My bad, that should be 3+ rather than 5+.
>>
>>44045519

>I've got

This wording makes it sound like you're in a draft right now. If so why are you asking us, you're going to know much sooner than we will whether you fucked up or not.
>>
>>44045742
Well, as a new player I have no idea what most of the abbreviations mean. Thankfully most of the other players are new so maybe I won't bet boned right off the bat.

>>44045798
That may screw me over; I didn't really think about balancing the amount and types of basic land I have, other than sticking in non-basic land.
>>
>>44045915
Well we're done with the drafting process but we've yet to play. And since I'm new, I have no idea if I just fucked myself from the start.
>>
>>44046073
What set did you draft?
>>
>>44046104
Not a single set to my knowledge. I believe all the cards in the pool came from the span of MTG's lifetime, most of them from the newer releases. If it helps, I remember a few of the cards: Jeskai Sage, Mulldrifter, Wall of Ice, Goblinslide, Ulamog's Crusher, Mardu Skullhunter, Pacifism, Singing Bellstrike, Claustrophobia, Priest of the Blood Rite, Pacifism
There were some green cards that added mana to my pool, just don't remember them.
>>
>>44046412
Sounds like a peasant cube, although Priest of the Blood Rite is a rare card so maybe not.
>>
>>44045519
depends what format.
>>
>>44045519
>I've got dual lands
I don't think you know what that means. If you do, how can I get in on that draft?
>>
>>44045519
Barring exceptional situations, you'll be pretty screwed trying to go five color in a draft. Exceptionally, royally, be prepared to lose every game, levels of screwed.

You'll generally want to focus on one to two colors for your deck.

You've shot yourself in the foot already, but you can try to salvage the situation by cobbling something together from your strongest two colors. Perhaps a third, especially if the third color is only present in a handful of your more expensive spells.

To help smooth out your color requirements, you'll want to play any relevant dual lands and perhaps any mana sources that can produce mana of any color.

>>44048820
dual lands are different from The Dual Lands.
>>
>>44045519
why did you pick all the colors anyway? If i was new i'd just go, ' i really like X and Y colors. Going to draft it tonight unless something strange happens'.
>>
You're probably pretty fucked, I played against someone that drafted Chromanticore in a draft and tried to make it work and it flopped horribly
>>
>>44045519
In some sets you can pull it off. The current set BfZ is one of those sets.
>>
>>44051417
The cards seemed pretty good... the text of the card in the OP post kind of reflects my state of mind at the time. Not to mention the fact that halfway through, I forgot which secondary color I had drafted, and ended up putting a couple cards in that didn't fit the overall color scheme... yeah. Some amount of cards later, I was as they say, balls deep.
>>
So what formats have you been able to draft five colour?

KTK is probably one of my favourite formats of all time in honesty, and that's because of how much fun I had forcing five-colour every draft, and because of me a lot of the people at the store ended up two-colour or dodgy three-colour a lot more than they should have.
I played Alara too, that was a lot more meh because of the fixing, and I've heard stories of invasion, but are there any I'm missing?
>>
>>44054114
You could manage in Ravnica.
>>
>>44052375
The fixing in BFZ isn't anywhere near good enough to play more than two colours (though you can occasionally splash a third). The only archetype that allows for 4 or 5 colours is Converge, which is effectively a base green deck that splashes up to four other colours.

KTK on the other hand was a draft format where you could easily get enough fixing to have a five colour deck that had spells in every single colour.
>>
>>44045519
5 color good stuff is always a viable strategy
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.