[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy Craft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: FantasyCraft Cover.jpg (143 KB, 612x800) Image search: [Google]
FantasyCraft Cover.jpg
143 KB, 612x800
Can we get a Fantasy Craft thread going? It doesn't get enough love from /tg/, especially since it's the one d20 game that is really fucking good.

What are you guys building, running, and playing?
>>
File: 1439260457219.jpg (27 KB, 318x307) Image search: [Google]
1439260457219.jpg
27 KB, 318x307
I'm playing a Courtier/Gallant as a pimp-ass noble and going to play as a raeg Priest/Inquisitor.

I'm planning on building a Shinobi Halfling/Goblin/Human for the next one since i've been playing a lot of social characters lately. That said, not a lot of folks tend to GM Fantasy Craft around here, what gives?

Spellbound when
>>
File: Roksha, not Rokasa.png (2 MB, 1200x1562) Image search: [Google]
Roksha, not Rokasa.png
2 MB, 1200x1562
>>44041312
Still playing muh soldier. Hit Level Seven. Feel like the GM isn't quite clear on a few of the distinctions between FC and D&D/PF. Got into a scuffle with an NPC who had a +11 Fort Save. (Mine it +6. I'm not exactly MAX CON, but I feel like it's nothing to sneeze at either.)

But hey, maybe I'm just imagining things, and that was someone with legendary CON. Need more data points. Still, Ragged Wounds trick is going to be useless if everyone's like that.

Plot-wise, we're likely to get embroiled in a war for the survival of my long lost noble family. Which is weird on a couple of levels, but hey, get to meet family.

Afterwards, we can look forward to acting as diplomats to the country I grew up raiding. You know, as a savage steppe barbarian. Which I'm expecting to be both awkward and hilarious.
>>
I'm having a bit of trouble with a build. I'm new to the system, and I'm not sure what the best way to do what I want is.

I decided to keep it simple and just go with great sword barbarian that smacks people silly, and uses rage extensively. GM also recommended pic related as an expert class, and I'm planning on using it, though if there's something better, I'm open.

I'm just feeling like I'm not doing enough damage, coupled with the fact that I don't really know any good tricks to take or anything. The greatsword basics/mastery stuff seems kind of meh, especially since I'll be using Rage Stance 99% of the time.

Any advice to get the most out of it? I'm considering taking Martial Arts, purely to be able to apply Strength to Defense. I also feel like I'm missing something for my damage, since it seems really low, for 25 strength (while raging) fucker with a claymore. Only 1d12+8, which again, seems a bit lo2, especially to use stuff like cleave and whatnot. Am I missing something like the 3.P rule where you get 1.5 strength to damage when two-handing?
>>
>>44041312
>It doesn't get enough love from /tg/
There's a reason for that
>especially since it's the one d20 game that is really fucking good.
Part of it is that this isn't even remotely true.

On the bright side, Drakes are fucking cool.
>>
File: Feral Heart_20151202_005412.jpg (485 KB, 1100x1200) Image search: [Google]
Feral Heart_20151202_005412.jpg
485 KB, 1100x1200
>>44042588
And I forgot the pic. Fuck me.
>>
>>44042588
>Am I missing something like the 3.P rule where you get 1.5 strength to damage when two-handing?
No.
If you're two-handing a 1-handed weapon, you get a +1 to damage. That's it. (Longsword is the highest damage weapon in the game then, since it has a d12 damage die and can be given the +1 for two-handing. Greatswords tend to be better though, since they actually have qualities.)

Damage wise, I can't really help you too much; Remember you'll be able to make two attacks a round from level one on, so you can be doing 2d12+16 damage a turn.
Trick wise, I'd advise Ragged Wounds and Shove- the former is good with greatswords (high damage, high save) and the latter is just so immensely flavorful and satisfying- knock people back five feet on every hit, damage or no.

Even less helpful; I might suggest you not focus entirely on combat. FC seems to encourage a lot more lateral growth than D&D/PF.
>>
>>44042618
Old version of the class. Here's the current (or last really) from the creation thread.
>>
>>44042588
All-Out Attack. it's one of the most straightforward and boring-seeming feats alongside what the weapon feat chains may offer, but it is another +8 damage, which is huge... So long as you can afford the -4 penalty to hit. If not, scale that bonus down.
Also, Greatsword Basics offers a wonderful stance for damage, so look into that too. With AOA and GSB, you could be pulling off like, 24 damage with a single attack; that's a STUPID amount.
>>
>>44044161
I like GSB, but I already have Rage for my go-to stance, so not really an option.
>>
>>44044330
Oh right, i don't know how i forgot about that. still, options, i guess.
>>
pdfs where?
>>
>>44044039
Any other 3rd party supplements like this?
>>
>>44044566
the official forums has a lot of homebrewing on it, like that PDF right there. there are only a few guys who know how to dress it up and make it look good like that, however, and it's not terribly easy to get them to do so.
>>
>>44044494
>>44044566

On crafty's license to improvise boards. Page 1 of the Class Compendium's thread. Big_Jim's post has a lot of links to the pdf's he's made.

A bunch are updated past the pdf's in the FC general starter post.
>>
>>44045063
>>44045092
Thanks man, these look good
>>
>>44041312
I've not really checked out Black Powder weapons, since none of my games have been set in a time period with them, so my question is how good are they? I'm thinking about making a character focused on them, since my new game is in a Victorian setting, but I'm not sure what I'm in for, pro and con wise.
>>
>>44045749
A lot of them are fire and forget. Check out their crazy reload times.
>>
>>44047748
Damn. Maybe a brace of pistols? But what advantages do they offer in exchange?
>>
>>44048054
Huge damage. Also, the quick draw feat makes the reload much less of a problem.
>>
>>44048054
Huge amounts of damage is the trade off. I would still suggest packing a few specifically as a panic button. Make the GM think twice about sending people your way.
>>
File: 1442290220297.gif (1 MB, 475x267) Image search: [Google]
1442290220297.gif
1 MB, 475x267
>>44044039
>>44042618
>>44042588
>tfw someone uses the class I made

Anyway, for a greatsword barbarian sort of character you'll definitely want to use a Claymore for the extra reach. Try and get Keen onto the weapon if possible; you'll be able to deal pretty nasty damage and break people's arms and legs with it.
Martial Arts isn't particularly important for you, since you can shore up your Defense based on your class or you can use armor to reduce the damage you'd take; since you probably have the Barbarian specialty, you can afford to wear movement-restricting armor since you'll still end up going faster than normal.
Remember to add tricks like Fully Engaged or Shove to your attacks, since those will quickly add up. Blade Wall from Greatsword Mastery also helps you a lot with a Claymore, since it means enemies can't get near you but you can still hit them with your reach. As a note, you actually shouldn't be in Rage Stance all the time; the lack of skill-usage really hurts your potential, since it stops you from using useful things like Bull Rush or Trip until you get to the Supremacy level. I'd say alternating between being in the Overpowering Force and Berserk stances would be most helpful to you.

And, as >>44042787 said, find ways to be useful outside of combat too; be the craftsman of the party if you can afford to drop some ranks into Crafting, or be the outdoorsman and lead people through the wilderness with your Survival and Athletics.
>>
>>44048054
If you build around them (buy a Bandolier, grab Quick Draw, maybe go into Deadeye) you've got enormous raw damage and as a Deadeye especially you can score massively dangerous crits that will just about end anyone you hit.

They also make decent sidearms in settings where they're reasonably available.
>>
>>44049484
>Remember to add tricks like Fully Engaged or Shove to your attacks, since those will quickly add up. Blade Wall from Greatsword Mastery also helps you a lot with a Claymore, since it means enemies can't get near you but you can still hit them with your reach. As a note, you actually shouldn't be in Rage Stance all the time; the lack of skill-usage really hurts your potential, since it stops you from using useful things like Bull Rush or Trip until you get to the Supremacy level. I'd say alternating between being in the Overpowering Force and Berserk stances would be most helpful to you.
Well I'm hitting supremacy pretty quick, and are the greatsword feats really worth it? They feel really meh, and I"m feat-starved already, but I'm not really good at judging FC stuff yet.
>>
>>44041312
Hoping to run a few sessions again when I'm back home with my old group. Last we left off they where in a dungeon that housed a unueie race of mine whose main gimmik was that they showed extreme heterozygosity and all members of the race are significantly diffrent from each other though do to the mechanics of the world the ones that live general have high magical ability. Sorta of struggling with how to build them as Npc's and general dungeon layout things. ( first time GM'ing )
>>
I've been boning up on the rules the last few days, and I and a friend are quite taken with the system. We'll probably do a chain of short adventures soon and might make it a more permanent thing for the group if it goes over well.

Anyone have a good quick-reference sheet to help the other guys pick it up faster?
>>
>>44052263
Think there's one in the dropbox

I know it's got a quick reference guide for character creation at least.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dkzgw3cn842eyw/AACivEvWTEODXQgsjBPsHv8wa?dl=0
>>
File: Serar.png (161 KB, 256x428) Image search: [Google]
Serar.png
161 KB, 256x428
Newbie to Fantasy Craft here, familiar with 3.PF, 4E and 5E D&D among others. I'm reading through the rulebook and I have a few questions.

1) Dwarves have a base speed of 20 ft. while Elves have a base speed of 40 ft. Why are elves twice as fast as dwarves on foot when they're the same size category? Wouldn't their huge speed difference mean an Elf could 'kite' a dwarf in battle with a ranged weapon and sufficient room to maneuver?

2) Shouldn't the human Talent thing be a racial feature and listed there, under attributes and base speed?

3) How do Panache and Prudence interact in redards to the income you get from Panache? Also, why is the Appearance bonus info there? Makes no sense to me.

4) On page 187 it states that characters need to relinquish Prizes at the end of an adventure if they exceed their Renown + 1. I understand why you'd want to cap a character's power, but I don't like the idea of telling a player "Hey, the adventure's over. I know you like that magic sword and that enchanted armour, but you have to donate one of them to charity because you're over your Renown limit."

5) Magic items being generated by a table feels really lifeless and devoid of flavour. I don't like it. Is there another document somewhere with a larger reserve of magic items?

6) Why is this game so damn complicated? I consider myself something of an expert on 3E but there's so much more going on here. It's really intimidating. I mean, look at the Sea Dragon on page 262. I KNOW how to interpret the monster's stats and abilities but goddamn, all those abilities and tables are so spread out that it'd take half an hour just to figure it all out. Compare that with a monster in 4E D&D, where everything I need to know as a GM is already at my fingertips. I feel like this game requires WAY more system mastery than any edition of D&D but I don't see what it gives back in return.
>>
>>44052946
1- Assuming they both had no access to other class-related skills/abilities, yes

2-I think that was more of a book layout choice on the part of the editors (it also allows for new Talents to be added into supplement books without being underneath the Human header)

3- Honestly don't know too much about it; Appearance is part of Lifestyle.

4-You don't have to be so blunt about it, you can work it into the plot of either the ending campaign, the downtime between it and the next, and the next campaign (ie the magical sword getting stolen is a plot hook).

5- Spellbound might, whenever it comes out
6- It's just that there's little if no reduplication of information in the core book, otherwise it'd be even largely and more unwieldy.

Also posting my latest version of the 'Roll-A-Character' PDF, even though no one asked for it.
>>
>>44052946
>1) Dwarves have a base speed of 20 ft. while Elves have a base speed of 40 ft. Why are elves twice as fast as dwarves on foot when they're the same size category? Wouldn't their huge speed difference mean an Elf could 'kite' a dwarf in battle with a ranged weapon and sufficient room to maneuver?

If the elf wants to attack with his ranged weapon, he's got to move once and shoot once. Meanwhile, the dwarf can run or charge. He's got ways to close the gap.

That said, it does definitely give the elf a maneuverability advantage, but there are ways for the dwarf to get a movement speed advantage, and dwarves are also naturally pretty tough and damage doesn't get all that high.
>>
>>44052946
>1) Dwarves have a base speed of 20 ft. while Elves have a base speed of 40 ft. Why are elves twice as fast as dwarves on foot when they're the same size category? Wouldn't their huge speed difference mean an Elf could 'kite' a dwarf in battle with a ranged weapon and sufficient room to maneuver?
I mean, a horse is large and a cow is large. Wanna race 'em?
And while an elf could kite a dwarf, I've yet to meet someone who can kite a heavy crossbow bolt.

Maybe. The book has famously poor organization.

Uh, about how you'd expect? At the start of each adventure, you get income according to your months of downtime and Panache-based income as initial pocket change, (unless GM rules otherwise,) and then at the end of the adventure, you lose your prudence percentage^-1 of it.

Well, they could always give it to a different NPC. Or decided which of their various widgets and doodads they wanted to ditch instead. It does kind of suck, but it seems in roughly the same way as max HP sucks.

Custom make 'em, babycakes. The table can be used as inspiration, random generation, reference material, whatever you want. Nobody's going to cry because you didn't roll. (Well, some might, but are you really playing with those people?)

Infamously poorly organized. It's optimized for 'all rules included, as little printing cost as possible'.

AS a GM it's a bit of work, as a player it's a lot less than having to browse through the entire PF SRD every time you make a character.
>>
>>44052946
>I feel like this game requires WAY more system mastery than any edition of D&D but I don't see what it gives back in return.
There's an online NPC generator that can take those stats and pump out the stat block for any given threat level. And as far as NPC stats go, the big advantage to their approach is that every monster works at every level which really frees you up as a GM.

The layout is intimidating but the game is actually much more coherent and easy to play compared to something like 3.5 (although it probably is more complex than 4e, and I say that as someone who enjoys both FC and 4e)

As to what you get out of it? A coherent system where a huge number of options are all feasible for player characters, where the player is rewarded for his choices without trap options, one that's easy to run since the individual rules for a situation are short and sweet.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d12)

>>44053149
Trying again, for whoever may care.
>>
>>44041312
Can someone explain to me the whole Scene/Instance/Adventure concept or whatever they're called (it's been a while since I read the rulebook)? I remember reading this thinking to myself 'What exactly constitutes a scene? How long should they be? When is a scene going on too long? Adventure I can kinda get, but then there's abilities that are once per adventure, so does that mean an 'adventure' is shorter than what I imagine? Because Adventure says to me an entire story arc, possibly more than one.

I had wanted to try DMing this, but my confusion surrounding this mechanic was such that I decided not to.
>>
>>44053404
Okay, basically, Adventure is one whole adventure, so one complete plot. You're doing Laboratory of the Forsaken? That whole module is the Adventure. That should be about one to three sessions, which are... you know, sit down and play sessions. Scenes are the individual plot beats of that adventure. An adventure should probably have 3-5 scenes. Think of 'em like acts in a play. The high society ball where the party meets their rival? Scene. The chase through the city streets with them leaping from carriage to carriage while the town burns around them? Scene. Tracking their foe to the ancient mountain temple and working out the puzzle entrance? Scene. Big final boss fight at the temple of doom? Scene.
>>
Anyone have any free slots in games?
>>
>>44041312
So, I'm most familiar with D&D3.5, and I've heard people say that this game is a better D20 alternative.

What does this do better than that system? (Because I'm sure that it IS better in many ways, I just haven't read the PDF, yet.)
>>
>>44053444
Explained that way, I think I get it... Maybe one day I'll join a Fantasycraft game and see how it plays out better.
>>
>>44053688
Think of it this way - if you were shooting a movie of your campaign, a scene ends wherever you'd expect a camera fade.

>>44053670
Feats have a major impact so every time you get to pick one, it matters.

Classes have no empty levels.

There's a wide variety of combat actions, and they're not all strictly inferior to Full Attack (mostly because Full Attack no longer exists, but also because skills are much expanded in usefulness)

Classes actually get decent amounts of skills.

Magic doesn't actually replace fucking everything.
>>
>>44053741
NPCs are built around 3/4ths BAB, not 1:1, so combat classes actually get to be GOOD at combat, not just okay.

Damage is lower across the board which makes tactical advantages like tripping or grappling more practical.

NPCs are built on a scaling system that actually works so you can judge encounter difficulty accurately and use any monster at any level without fucking things up too bad.

Magic items are more tightly controlled, and the math is actually built in such a way that you don't need a +1 every X levels to be competent, so magic items actually matter

There are classes that are straight up just facemen, and not only are they great, Courtier and Emissary may be two of the most useful classes in the game

Except EVERY class is great
>>
>>44053741
I don't know if 'movie' is the right comparison to make. 3-5 scenes is awful short for a movie. It sounds to me more like maybe an episode of a TV series.
>>
>>44053790
Yeah, that's fair

The camera cut/fade comparison holds, though. If, when picturing the action, you go 'this is the point where we transition to a new thing', that's a new scene.
>>
>>44053817
Actually, thinking about it AGAIN, comparison to a TV series works out quite well. Each 'episode' is a game session, and these sessions are part of one story arc, or Adventure. Story arcs, at least in western TV, tend to be pretty short (although given how little I watch TV nowadays, I don't know if that's changed).
>>
>>44053783
Skills are important.

No real dump stats.
>>
>>44054007
Yeah, I think it's worth noting that the default point buy allows for a 14 14 14 12 12 12 array and that that's actually an optimal array for a lot of classes
>>
>>44052946
1. If, for some reason, the dwarf is ONLY making standard moves, does not have a ranged weapon, does not take advantage of cover, etc., then yes. However, that's a pretty stupid dwarf.

2. It's more akin to the Specialties and would needlessly bloat the species section, but technically yes.

3. Panache gives you money every so often. It represents some enterprise or social thing your character has that has them receive all sorts of things. These "things" are, mechanically, money and stuff that makes you look better. Prudence affects nothing gained from Panache, only end of adventure and downtime money.

4. Why did you give that item to him if you didn't want to have to take it away? Does any of the PC's friends have a an open Prize slot?

5. Then don't randomly generate items. Craft them yourself or ask your players for requests. It's just a list of effects, the numbers are only there if you want to use them.

6. There is a cheat sheet for most of the fiddly and hard to remember stuff. If you're preparing a big monster, just copy-paste the attacks into a little document. If you're scrabbling to spring an enemy onto your players, just pick something and plop it into the converter in the copy-pasta.
Also, the game isn't really that complicated. Or, rather, that you can make it as complicated as you want by keeping all the subsystems you want. You have to remember that the FC game is a toolbox system, unlike D&D/PF.
>>
Betsy,
Unborn
Mystic
Priest
>>
>>44050856
Greatsword feats aren't bad, per se, but they definitely reward a different style compared to just "cleave and crush." The real strength of them is that you can pair them with Hammer or Sword BMS to gain some extra power to them; Hammer is especially good for you if you bring Greatsword up to the Mastery level, since the Hammer tricks are "reduce an enemy's CON" and "insta-kill someone with less CON than you".
The Greatsword line also gives you more Defense (since you can use a Claymore and it'll gain Guard +2), lets you play keep-away (the aforementioned Blade Wall), and is an AoE machine (Spiral Cutter to hit everyone within 10 feet, which also has the added perk of +1 Strength for more killing).

What's your species, class, specialty, and statline? Might help a bit more with that knowledge.
>>
>>44055248
And more importantly, having an 18 at character creation isn't just unnecessary, it'll probably actively-hamper you because the rest of your attributes are probably meh-to-bad.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.