[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10
File: 001.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. This means avoiding tripfag drama or discussion about subjects such as 'make a board for quests'.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/pV7sdNnv
This link contains numerous writing guides, as well as the addresses of quest related IRC channels.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QMs. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you aren't on the list, post your twitter here and someone will make sure it gets added eventually.

>QM Question:
What is the answer to the player question?

>Player Question:
What is the answer to the QM question?

>Bonus Question:
What should I have asked?
>>
File: Baron2.png (1 MB, 1365x563) Image search: [Google]
Baron2.png
1 MB, 1365x563
I need to run a House Harkonnen quest one day.

I'm thinking the main character could be a

>Mentat
>Some sort of Harkonnen foreman on Arrakis
>Or Harkonnen bodyguard/troop leader

People on /tg/ could vote on one, and the other choices would work or try to undermine the PC.
>>
>>44029694
This will fail just like those Game of Thrones quests.
>>
>>44029714

What happened with the GoT quests, to make them fail.
>>
>>44029714

House Malroy Quest is doing well.

Karban had a great run.

Success or failure seems to be much more attributable to the QM than to the content of the quest.
>>
What's a good way to implement upgrade trees?

I'm planning on running a zombie quest where the MC is a newly infected zombie and can mutate through kills/certain plot points. Still a really rough idea, but I've been messing around with it for a while.
>>
>>44029806
>I'm planning on running a zombie quest

Don't.
>>
>>44029898
I'm having some serious deja vu, anon.
>>
>>44029806

I'm thinking, you should start with a blank template

Like fast vs, slow

Then you could evolve it further.

For instance, you could make the "slow" zombie evolve into a lumbering brute, or a practically immobile pile of flesh.

Or the fast one could be an excellent sprinter, or even some sort of small, mutated, winged creature.
>>
>>44029952
Well, I'm still working on exactly what the upgrades are, my question was more about implementation. Should I go with branching trees with some upgrades gated behind prerequisites and whatnot? I was thinking of maybe three specific paths. One would be something along the lines of issuing orders to the less sentient undead and using them temporarily and whatnot, another would be something regarding agility or something, and the other would be just brute strength and durability.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it's Sunday, I'm surprised there's no Super Stand Sunday up. Anything happen?
>>
File: Takumi Gouka.jpg (116 KB, 812x694) Image search: [Google]
Takumi Gouka.jpg
116 KB, 812x694
>>44029487
So, I'm thinking of doing an Exalted quest but the protagonist is a earth aspect lost egg

The only things I have so far is that A: Said lost egg will be recruited by force into House Cathak.

B: Stat wise said MC will have breeding 3, 4 on a very lean stretch because there's no way in hell there was ever a breeding 5 lost egg much less the concept not working in the actual game unless you want to horribly gimp yourself

C: Quest MC is a swordsman/pit fighter (pic related)

D: Said Quest will happen take place in something akin to the house of bells

Lastly E: I have some knowledge of exalted but not enough to consider myself and expert so most of it will be on improv
>>
>>44030597
go the fuck to anonkun with that bullshit.
>>
>>44027999

I'm running a Golem quest if anyone wants to if anyone wants to watch a newbie DM bumble about
>>
>>44030727
>>44030655
That's rude.
>>
>>44027312

Quest: Living Weapon Quest
Name: Brother Ivan
Species: Post-human clone I guess
Description: Shape shifter. Base form is a soulless ginger.
Background: You're an assassin clone that's been made to carry out the will of a cult that might actually be a mercenary group. Things are currently in limbo since the last thread ended with you getting shot and fading to black.
Sexual Orientation/Romance: Hasn't been broached yet.
>>
>>44024078
>>
>>44031290
Nice try, Poseidon in Chains.
>>
Help, I think I broke a QM.

Normally they do end of session pastebin of character's current thoughts and feelings but they just abruptly ended a session after I posted a worried extrapolation about what we may have missed happening behind closed doors and where it could be going and now I'm rambling holy fuck I didn't mean it!
>>
>>44031653
...never mind.
>>
What quest ideas do you have?
>>
>>44031918
You're the acting president of the newly revived Adventuring Club, a group of students dedicated to exploring and mapping out the labyrinthine depths that lies beneath the ages old academy campus built on top of the many former academies before it.

Unfortunately the club is facing hard times as adventuring has fallen out of style, losing much of its popularity that it previously enjoyed and the equipment left behind by the previous members is in bad condition due to years of poor maintenance.

Your 'club' really only consists of yourself and your desperate friend you've roped into helping you, eager to earn the bonus credits the club offers for exceptional performance.

Dive into the underground, fight monsters lurking underneath, discover treasures to sell, recruit new members, help other clubs in exchange for favors, balance your activities with your studies and do your best to make your club prosper while uncovering the secrets of the labyrinth.
>>
>>44031918
You are pulled into a world cobbled together by insane aliens, populated by cultures torn from through out human history and slapped next to each other on a single continent all forced to duke it out. The Vikings next to Imperial Mali, the Commanche next to medieval Japan, Carloginian France next to Ancient Babylon. Colonial US alongside the Kievan Rus.

You have to make sense of it all, and either end the bloodshed through diplomacy, or unite the people under a single leader, to take the fight to your alien overlords.

And you may or may not be guided by the voices of great military leaders like Napoleon in your head.
>>
>>44032030
Ouran High School Host Club meets D&D?
>>
>>44032030
Sounds like fun.
>>
>>44031918
Posted this before, but may not run it after all. Zombie quests don't seem to be received too well, but >>44030016 is what I had in mind. Basically the MC would be some sort of sentient zombie infected after the outbreak spread to their city. It's a pretty shallow idea so far, but like I said, I'll probably scrap it.
>>
>>44027312
Quest: Shinigami Savant Quest
Name: Kusajishi Riku
Species: Soul (Shinigami)
Description: Slightly on the tall side, athletic build, with black hair. Was at least half-Okinawan in life.
Background: A Shinigami Captain whose soul has been scraped together from the remains of a murdered lesser goddess and the traumatized, fragmented soul of a spiritually powerful human, neither of which could survive on their own. Has a personal vendetta against the setting's main canon antagonist, and seems to have become a pawn in some infighting within the Japanese pantheon. Best described as a well-meaning loose cannon.
Sexual Orientation/Romance: Due to having lost most of her memories and much of her original personality upon her death, it's likely her preference is “Yoruichi” rather than “women”. Which makes sense, as Yoruichi was the first Soul to genuinely care about Riku's well-being.
>>
dang, first time I've COMPLETELY missed SMT quest, not even around before it archives.
>>
>>44033364
>SMT quest
Whom?
>>
Would anybody be interested in an inquisition quest? You'd start as interrogator and work your way up. It'd end when you died or pledged yourself to chaos.
>>
>>44033665
SMT London New Cycle
>>
>>44033793
I've never heard of it.
>>
>>44033913
There are demons. And Angels. And if we see Mastema again, he's probably a deadgel.
>>
>>44031918
Been planning on a character suddenly drifted to fantasy or future sci-fi, depend on the player choice.

The goal is to get home and you will need allies to survive.

Still thinking of creating Anti-magic for fantasy but no idea for the sci-fi
>>
File: 01bc35f5d92.jpg (200 KB, 850x603) Image search: [Google]
01bc35f5d92.jpg
200 KB, 850x603
What goes into a fun, comfy freediving quest hunting for treasure and also yuri, to make it at least decent?
>>
>>44034685
The things that would make that sort of quest "decent" aren't allowed on this site.
>>
>>44034573
sounds directionless. I hope you know what you're in for when making a sandbox quest

>>44034685
I was about to answer, but
>also yuri, to make it at least decent?
>the assumption is that it would suck without yuri
I don't think any advice I could give you would be appropriate as we are running from completely separate initial values.
>>
>>44034726
I don't like straight romance and I like femMCs. What advice can you give?
>>
>>44034685
>yuri to make it decent
>implying yuri is anything but detrimental to quests
>>
>>44032030
Oh this actually sounds cute and fun as hell.
>>
>>44034780
Are you a female?
Are the majority of your players female?
If not, then don't write about a female MC.
>>
File: 1440202799780.jpg (94 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1440202799780.jpg
94 KB, 900x900
>>44034872
I..

What?

Anon have you been diagnosed? Is it okay for you to be using a computer?
>>
>>44034780
I...did you not read? The fact alone that something HAS to have yuri for you means there is a fundamental difference in what you and I find fun/important in a quest.
>>
File: typhoon under construction.jpg (384 KB, 450x623) Image search: [Google]
typhoon under construction.jpg
384 KB, 450x623
Submarine guy again, actually an oldfag who may be coming back from the dead

Got some good technical tips from /k/ about how this submarine might work (and why the 1920s makes way more sense than the 1890s-1900s) and the cool things you could do with it..

The design would essentially resemble a slightly shorter, slightly beamier I-400 with a more hydrodynamic casing for sustained underwater travel.

There were some cool ideas about hydrowings, but you have problems with the necessary parking space for something with a 200-foot underwater wingspan
>>
>>44034780
run on anonkun instead
>>
>>44032030

10/10 would cheerfully participate in.

Sounds like all the good parts of Egwen School Quest without all the nonsense.

>>44032142

Sounds wacky as fuck. But it's an original setting, which is refreshing, so I say go for it.
>>
The last "worst system you've played" thread gave me an idea.

An awful idea.

The last "worst system you ever played" thread gave me a terrible, AWFUL idea.

I'm thinking of running a Wreaththu quest just to see just how bad it is.

Anyone care to go down the rabbit hole with me?
>>
>>44030597
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Solar%20Quest

All the inspiration and good ideas for an Exalted quest you could ever need.
>>
>>44034979
What IS yuri these days, anyhow? Is it just lesbians in general, or a specific sort of lesbians, or what?
>>
>>44035468
the running definition I assume is teen/young adult women with lesbian tendencies treating all close relationships with other females as romantic and/or sexual.

not that the straight version is any better.
>>
>>44035519
What, you mean teenaged girls who treat any social interaction with a boy as romantic? Because if that annoys the same people "yuri" annoys I think I understand.

Because that shit's the worst.
>>
>>44035572
the problem is that a QM "forcing" a relationship feels very much the same. Even if it's noone in particular, the idea that you HAVE to be in a relationship for the quest to not suck is just so....it's such a different viewpoint.
>>
>>44035572
>>44035703
From my experience it's players who force romance. QMs just give the option
>>
>>44035770
That doesn't mean I'd want the QM to force the romance.

My opinions on players is a completely separate topic.
>>
>>44035788
True true, I just can't remember forced romance in any quest recently
>>
>>44035846
well it's possible that the definition is different.

"yuri" can also mean several NPCs in the quest are already in lesbian relationships with each other and focus is on them purely for fanservice.
>>
>>44035788
>>44035846
Same. I know some people talk about starting a QMC with a spouse or partner, but I can't remember ever seeing that either.

What counts as "forced"?
>>
>>44035873
I guess favoring someone to be the romantic interest?
>>
>>44035873
For me, it feels forced when the QM produces someone that seems into you from the get-go. They're friendlier to the MC than other characters would be, they're more willing to talk to you, etc.

Then you have the extreme end where the QM just throws people at you that have the most obvious cock/cuntlust imaginable.
>>
>>44035873
STARTING in a relationship is a bit different. At the very least, you have a gateway to explore much more nuanced themes.

"forced" can mean a lot of things, but the easiest that comes to mind is
>interact with NPC often=romantic interest in NPC
just.....no.

that said, there are also QMCs/NPCs that start out liking someone else, and it is quite clear in the writing. That's....okay, I guess. Not interesting for me, but characters are allowed to be characters without my input. The goal is to have a character that feels ALIVE, although realistic is not necessarily required.
>>
>>44035923
Well, you have to signal somehow, especially when players will start making plans to fuck certain NPCs five seconds after meeting them.
>>
>>44030597
I don't understand shit
>>
>>44035945
That happened in one of the quests I frequent, the potential love interest turned out to be psychotic murderer. Which was kind of hilarious

>>44035954
This is /tg/ that's always gonna happen, that's why the quests that let you fuck everyone never have relationship shitstorms.
>>
>>44032030
That is cool as fuck and I'll probably steal it if you don't run it.
>>
>>44032142
Riverworld?
>>
File: 1436242064807.png (249 KB, 967x1400) Image search: [Google]
1436242064807.png
249 KB, 967x1400
>>44036005
>That is cool as fuck
>I'll probably steal it if you don't run it.
>>
>>44036072
Are you nt going to run it?
>>
>>44035994
>the potential love interest turned out to be psychotic murderer.
In one of the quests I follow they found out she was psychotic murderer and was also abusive on top of that but decided to keep romancing her anyway. Doesn't always work.
>>
>>44036140
Hiss is the best waifu.
>>
File: 1446609093136.png (234 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1446609093136.png
234 KB, 853x480
>>44036113
Maybe?

Probably not anytime soon, I've got exams coming up.
>>
>>44036140
Abusive? /tg/ is fucking pathetic
>>
>>44036018
No, inspired by Age of Empires and Civilization.
>>
>>44036165
Damn, how'd you guess?
>>
>>44035930
I'm kinda bothered that Diarca has pulled this off thrice so far.
>>
>>44036169
Here's another reason why not to share your ideas here. Also, the premise sounds a lot like another quest that started a few months ago. I never read past the first thread, so I don't know if its still running. The MC was a teacher at a magic academy, and was something like the club adviser for a dungeoneering club. Can't remember the name for the life of me.
>>
>>44036243
It had a lot more threads, the QM went back to his older quest to finish it up.
>>
>>44036217
Which one?
>>
I've been struggling with a single line of my opening post for over a weak. This is fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>44036321
>You're a futa.
There you go, fixed it for you.
>>
>>44036176
Sunk cost fallacy has some stuff to do with it I think.
>we've spent so long getting the waifu
>we can't waste that, even if she gets mad and hits us sometimes.
>she says sorry afterwards, makes the excuse about temper and says she won't do it again for the third time
>friends tell us that this is fucked up, we go into full battered wife mode and defend her
>>
>>44036358
What quest is this anyway?
>>
>>44036358
>>44036358
It helps that the excuse for Hiss being abusive is literally that she is an inhuman monster who eats our kind for laughs. The fact she loves us at all and tries to make us happy is pretty amazing.

That she apologizes on top of that, and goes out of her way to try and humor our requests to steer her entire race of inhuman soul devouring monsters away from complete gullet-stuffing domination is pretty sweet to me.

You need different standards when your romance is different. In normal standards, we'd be food - or worse.

>>44036380
Snakecatcher.
>>
>>44036333
I'd like to see an attempt at a dead serious quest about a girly girl suddenly growing a penis overnight and the resulting fear and identity crisis. Should she seek medical aid, or try to keep it a secret so she doesn't get labeled as a freak? Could any boy ever want her now? And what happens to her swimming career now? Whatever does happen, her road is sure to be long and hard.
>>
>>44036388
>It helps that [...] or worse.
Wow.
>>
>>44036388
That sounds fucked up enough for me to read
>>
File: 1326789379200.jpg (21 KB, 484x382) Image search: [Google]
1326789379200.jpg
21 KB, 484x382
>>44036418
>Whatever does happen, her road is sure to be long and hard.
>>
>>44036418
You cheeky fuck
>>
>>44036418
I'd probably play it.
>>
>>44036430
Stockholm Syndrome is real and can be transmitted through Quests. Thought at least she's stopped hitting us now, finally got enough people to put the foot down on that.
>>
>>44036437
I got into it specifically because someone on one of these threads mentioned your waifu was literally a snake. I had to go find out what that was about.

It's been a fun ride since then. The waifu means well, but her sense of morals are strictly within the "Amoral monster hidden within human skin" spectrum.

>>44036479
She hasn't stopped that. No amount of talking to her actually stops that. Wishbonds do, but those are different. What part of "inhuman monster with different standards" do you not understand?
>>
>>44036500
I don't know, I think she genuinely meant it this time.
>>
>>44036460
Pun aside, I wasn't joking. To me, it could be genuinely interesting to just throw away hentai logic and think, what would it ACTUALLY be like, how would you deal with such an enormous change in your life, how does your environment respond, stuff like that. It would probably get banned on the first thread though, which makes me sad.
>>
>>44036561
>snake, tempter of mankind, deceiver of the innocent
>genuine, truthful

Gonna go with noooo
>>
>>44036594
Since when does she tempt? She's usually about as subtle as a brick.
>>
>>44036561
Hiss has genuinely meant it pretty often. But, as she's mentioned and we've seen. what she WANTS and what HAPPENS is different. She's pretty frustrated with how casually she ends up hurting us as well, she's just terrible at avoiding it, even when she tries.

>>44036594
We believe in snakewaifu. We're just not naive about snakewaifu.

>>44036647
brickwaifu best.
>>
>>44036647
It was more of a reference to the bible than the actual character. The snake being the deceiver of mankind, brought us down from paradise etc
>>
>>44034726
Maybe
The first few sessions will be choosing factions and game play.
Maybe more into civ type or into adventuring.
thats for fantasy.
for future sci-fi, Maybe more on training and exploring
>>
>>44035274
But anon I'm thinking of a setting like the house of bells.
>>
>>44036785
Wat
>>
>>44037611
Its a flexible quest but decisions will shape the path you guys go.
Kinda like Mass Effect combined with ripple effect

Its like you suddenly appeared in a strange world and forced to participate with that world's upcoming events
>>
>>44035191
You'll be banned if you do.
>>
>>44036718
>The snake being the deceiver of mankind

Nice try, Demiurge!
>>
Did someone sage this?
>>
>>44038564
Autosage for not being the weekend anymore
>>
File: 200px-Jon_Arryn_TheMico.jpg (26 KB, 200x283) Image search: [Google]
200px-Jon_Arryn_TheMico.jpg
26 KB, 200x283
>>44029776
>House Malroy Quest is doing well.

Only thanks to our greatest ally.
>>
No Xenoblade Chroincles X inspiration for quests yet?
>>
>>44039078
maybe after I play it

good luck, in my backlog of games, the current game on the nintendo console chopping block is Skies of Arcadia
>>
>>44039078
That game is 2gud for quests.

It even has a buff loli wrench wench who uses a gating gun
>>
>>44039078
How is XB?
>>
Harvey bumpo
>>
>>44039849
Thread's been autosaged by a janitor, I believe. Not that I mind, it being Monday and all
>>
>>44035930
Still not as bad as QMs that write the main character in such a way that they're dying to slut it up with every NPC. Then they keep writing new NPCs into the story, each hornier than the next.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.