[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm running a 5e D&D game, and it I've been running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I'm running a 5e D&D game, and it I've been running it since January. My players are having fun, I'm having fun... But they haven't gone through a single dungeon yet. Was the game built with dungeon exploration as the main focus? Could my games be any better with an actual dungeon or two to explore?

I'm just running it as a large-scale urban exploration/thieves campaign.

I know if everyone is having fun, that's the whole point. I realize that, I'm asking if my game can be even funner.
>>
You don't need to throw in dungeons just for the sake of having them.

A good way to test the waters for if dungeons would improve things, is to have them hired to steal something from a noble's manor, and have their mansion and security system function as a "dungeon" with traps and monsters (fluffed as hired security).

If that ends up being more fun, include more dungeons and shit, and if it ends up being less fun, just keep running around in their normal urban game.
>>
>>44022899
That sounds like pretty solid advice. I haven't had this much fun since playing a table top RPG since 2e Dark Sun game back in '92
>>
>>44022548
>>44022899
"Dungeon" doesn't necessarily mean a literal dungeon. Any specific location with a set of traps, encounters, puzzles etc is a dungeon.

Just like how a villain doesn't necessarily have to be a literal dragon.

Also, OP, if you're having fun you're doing it right, regardless of what preconceived notions or even rules say. However, have you considered alternatives to D&D? Some are built more specifically for things like stealth and social encounters, while others are more narrativist and rules-light and thus more flexible, if you worry you're not using D&D "right". But, again, if you're having fun you're doing it right.
>>
>>44022548
Dungeons are shit.

Congradulations on noticing
>>
>>44022999
"However, have you considered alternatives to D&D?"

That's also what I was wondering, but I didn't want to seem too impolite to 5e fans. My group is really interested in low-fantasy/pulp stuff, like Conan the Barbarian and Fritz Leiber. But they don't want to learn an 80's grognard system.
>>
>>44023009
Well in my opinion, they seem "compartmentalized" just like combat. I have a house rule for combat, you add your initiative modifier and a D20 roll to an "initiative pool".

Certain actions cost different amounts of initiative points, and a round consists of the highest pools going first. A round finishes when there are no longer any initiative points to spend. Combat is actually faster this way, and speedier characters sometimes act twice in a round.
>>
>>44023104
Might I suggest Burning Wheel?

It does low fantasy pretty well, and is at its best on character driven stories with PCs perusing their own goals
>>
>>44023250
Okay, you've piqued my interest. I've heard the game is really difficult to learn though, what are the basic mechanics like?
>>
>>44023818
The base game is pretty simple to learn, it's the sub-systems that kinda can be tricky.

Pick a relevant stat, or skill, roll a number of d6s equal to the rating, get enough successes (typically 4, 5 or 6) to meet the obstacle set by the GM, you get what you want.

The issue with learning Burning Wheel is that people ignore the part at the end of the first half of the book that says "start playing with just these rules" and try to learn all the sub-systems at once. The subsystems are kinda complicated, but they are not actually essential to the system, the ideal way to learn is to just play with the Hub and Spokes, and slowly introduce sub-systems as needed.

Most situations in the system, even fights and arguments, don't actually NEED the big fight and argument system, a simple setting stakes, and an opposed roll takes care of it. The Sub-systems are for the BIG DRAMATIC situations, where we WANT to get a blow-by-blow fight, or a point-by-point debate. Introduce them once you are more comfortable with the base system and you feel it is important enough.
>>
>>44024035
That sounds pretty cool for an RP-heavy campaign.
That said, OP, if you're all having fun with 5e I'd stick to it at least until the campaign reaches a satisfying conclusion. >>44022899 sounds like a solid course of action to try a dungeon.

Personally I really enjoy making & running dungeons, but it would be boring if the game was all dungeon crawls all the time. I try to throw in one every three levels or so, and maybe sprinkle a few into sidequests.
>>
>>44023158
>ITT: How I subscribed to ivory tower game design and forced all my players to take the alert feat
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.