[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: self loathing DM edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: dm.jpg (283 KB, 545x386) Image search: [Google]
dm.jpg
283 KB, 545x386
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

how long did it take you stop being mediocre at DMing?
>>
>>44020774
https://www.mediafire.com/?w25pdt9075b868b This is the Primeval Thule Campaign Setting adapted for 5E. Can it please be added?
>>
>>44020801
>Not official WotC content
Why would it be?
>>
>>44020830
>Why would it be?
Because the pastebin is for misc content.
>>
Asked in the last thread but didn't get an answer, I remember finding some really big homebrewed monster manuals a while back but didn't save. Anybody got anything similar?
>>
>Killed because my group is a bunch of cowards
>GM realizes this and gives me a reincarnation for free
>Gnome
There goes my Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master...
>>
Have you ever made any tweaks inspiration, find anything that works better for you? I like the idea of it, but it falls into some hoarder tendencies, even if it is easy to get back.
>>
So tomorrow UA, but when exactly?
>>
>>44020988
Normally around now to about 2 hours from now.
>>
>>44020927
>find wizard
>enlarge person
>permanence

You're welcome.
>>
>Everytime I roll a female characer it dies in the first session, the game gets cancelled, etc
>"Holy shit, anon, you always play male characters"
>>
>>44020774
>How long did it take you stop being mediocre at DMing?

Once I started telling groups to make more than one character because they'll probably die, the dice show no mercy.
Even if I don't mean it.
>>
File: 370760709_f12ac5fae4_b.jpg (461 KB, 1024x773) Image search: [Google]
370760709_f12ac5fae4_b.jpg
461 KB, 1024x773
DMs: when do you give players advantage or disadvantage on ability checks?

Why do that and not just adjust the DC?
>>
>>44022039
This.

"I diplomacy the king" = DC 15
"I remind the king of the our kingdoms' bond and that our armies united can stand against any orc threat" = DC 10
>>
>>44022039
I usually don't adjust the DC and just give them advantage if either the circumstance is working in their favor or if they fluff a good enough reason for it. The only time I really adjust the DC is when the circumstance gives them some measure of assistance, but not enough in my eyes for advantage, in which case I give them a +1 or 2. I'm not even really adjusting the DC in that case, and I don't even do that very often.

In my view of things DCs pretty much always remain static, and it's the characters' attempts that range in effectiveness.
>>
Quick question /5eg/, how would 5e stat a cestus?
I figure pic related would do 1d4 bludgeoning while one with spikes could do 1d6 piercing.
If anyone's curious whym, I'm doing a muscle wizard Goliath Cleric of War and I need a good way to cast fist without monk levels.
>>
Can someone tell me if they made a d20 with another d20 inside it? I thought about using that for (dis)advantage rolls.
>>
File: d20_Koplow_double_battle.jpg (429 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
d20_Koplow_double_battle.jpg
429 KB, 1824x1368
>>44022392
Koplow makes them but their dice suck.
>>
>>44022392
>The Meta 20
>A transparent D20 with slightly opaque black numbering on the sides
>Inner die is pure black with bright white numbers
Honestly, I'd be afraid it'll break if someone rolled it wrong.
>>
How do people make those homebrew sheets that look exactly like the PHB?
>>
>>44022039
You know you can do both, yes?
>>
Is a good subtitle for my martials-only setting "hit it until it dies"?
>>
>>44022748
There's a setting called "Earth" that doesn't have any magical classes, and it has options besides "hit it until it dies".
>>
>>44022285
>tavern brawler
>find a pair of gauntlets designed for heavy armor
>ask DM if he can fluff it so that you deal a better damage die than 1d4 while wearing them, and something about you cant be disarmed from it or some shit
>get further upgrades to the gauntlets, adding spikes and etc, to increase damage
>punch orcs
>>
>>44022039
It's a lot less annoying to players if they feel like the DCs don't change because of fiat.
>>
>>44022461

Either PDF editors (used to do it all the times with WoD sheets) or by re-creating the sheet from scratch using the PHB ones as a model.
>>
>>44022794
>fluff it so that you deal a better damage

Isn't that the opposite of fluffing something?
>>
>>44022419
Thanks. Keeping a eye out for there buggers.
>>
>>44022818
I could see it going either way. Advantage or disadvantage might encourage more roleplaying and creative thinking, or it might encourage players to game the system (even when it doesn't fit their characters).

Altering the DC means it remains on the DM side of the screen, so either players realize sweet talking the king is better than general persuasion, or they assume everything is DC 15 so what's the point.

You could always just tell them, I guess. Don't be completely transparent, but make it clear before the game: "If you do something clever or foolish, you might gain advantage or disadvantage," and/or: "If you do something clever or foolish, you might adjust the Difficulty Class you need to hit."
>>
>>44021118
>permanence
How about an answer that isn't overpowered homebrew?
>>
File: 1447427558101.png (258 KB, 549x560) Image search: [Google]
1447427558101.png
258 KB, 549x560
>>44022794
>fluff something to be mechanically better
>>
>>44020927
>GM giving you reincarnation for free because the other players are dorks

What the fuck
>>
>>44020774
>how long did it take you stop being mediocre at DMing?

The correct answer is I'm always improving. I can remember certain milestones in my experiences though.

Like after trying railroad stories for a while, making a full-sandbox game for the first time and realizing that it wasn't what my players wanted either but something in between. And eventually that anywhere on the spectrum can be good as long as you know the kind of game your players are looking for.

Learning to give players more agency in the story telling process was a huge improvement for me. At some point I stopped seeing it as my game they were going to experience and started seeing it as a shared story we were all crafting together.

Or learning to keep tension and tone where you want them with the proper pacing of events and details. Eventually I learned to do unique voices or speech quirks for each NPC so players immediately recognized them when they spoke. One of my players favorite things is trying to trick me into talking to myself as two different NPCs...

A big one for me was getting comfortable enough to improv entire session with only a loose idea of what I wanted it to contain. I used to be a rigid structure kind of guy but that's not how stories should be written. Not to mention how much effort is ultimately wasted.

The thing I am currently struggling with is teaching others to be DMs. I have lots of players but they all are lacking in one department to keep them from being truly great DMs (no work ethic, poor improv skills, anxiety issues, etc.) and I am learning to help them cope with or improve in their deficient areas. But for the time being it seems I am a forever DM.
>>
File: where do you think we are boss.jpg (221 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are boss.jpg
221 KB, 700x525
>>44021118
>>
>>44022932
Why do want to alter DCs so much when you don't have to?

Modifiers and A/D do the same exact thing: change what you have to roll on a 20 sided die to pass.
>>
>bards got LITERALLY nothing except a couple pages of fluff in SCAG
God damn. Why the fuck? Barbarians and Clerics, the two classes immediately on either side, got new stuff.
>>
File: 1439321921105.jpg (47 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1439321921105.jpg
47 KB, 604x453
>>44023174

>rangers
>>
>>44023174
Time and length restrictions combined with bards already being good.

Also applies to druids and rangers, though instead of being good it's because WotC wants to rework the ranger entirely and not waste much time and effort publishing official additions to a shit class.
>>
>>44023223
That's fair, but it's not like a new college with crunch to it would make existing bards better, or make it possible to make a better bard than it's possible to make now, unless the new college was OP as fuck.

It would just provide more options. Same with the druid.

Any hints on what they're doing with the ranger?
>>
File: 1445118800192.jpg (151 KB, 592x750) Image search: [Google]
1445118800192.jpg
151 KB, 592x750
>>44023174
>expecting balanced crunch from a setting guide

I don't understand peoples' expectations sometimes.
>>
>>44022821
>>44022955
I'm with you guys, that sounds kinda excessive.
Would this work; http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/cestus
Naturally you'd have to get a specific kind to deal piercing damage, and I'd probably not be allowed to wield another weapon in my hands while wearing them, but otherwise it looks pretty balanced.
>>
>>44023281
Oh, forgot to add "can't be disarmed"
>>
>>44023174
I feel like the only reason Bladesinger went to Wizard is WOTC's weird decision to give high elves a bonus to Int rather than Cha, which never made any sense since book smarts is never the thing that defines elves in anyone's fluff compared to beauty or wisdom. The original Bladesinger was basically a cheap way to let Elves play a Bard to begin with.

That said I'm not sure what else would look good there; Jester maybe, but Arcane Trickster gets a lot of the old Jester. Dirge singer is something I'm iffy about.

Also fwiw, Ranger and Druid also got ignored in SCAG too.
>>
>>44023174
Bards aren't really any different along the Sword Coast.
>>
I rolled:

Strength 15
Dexterity 8
Constitution 17
Intelligence 16
Wisdom 15
Charisma 17

The party consists of a Half-Orc Barbarian, a Half-Orc Ranger, a Human Rogue (Swashbuckler) and a Tiefling Wizard (who is new).

I would like to play something new from SCAG.

We also get a new feat.

I have to be someone who infiltrated an enemy keep either by signing up and pretending to be a merc or by breaking in at night sneaky as shit (hard to do with dex).

Start at level 3.

Free feat.
>>
File: 1363035963630.gif (3 MB, 256x195) Image search: [Google]
1363035963630.gif
3 MB, 256x195
>>44023686
>letting the new guy play the wizard

You're in for a world of suffering or he is going to die a terrible death.

Go human sorcerer or warlock with the +1 to all.
>>
I'm in a party with three other players. The four of us are a bard (me), a druid, a fighter, and a paladin.

My level 2 bard has a DEX of 16. I want to get his AC as high as possible since at this level I do run out of spells fairly quickly and I'd like to be able to fight if we get jumped while resting or something.

Any other advice on how to stay at least somewhat useful at low levels, where I can cast 3 spells and then I'm down to cantrips that only do anything at all if the opponent fails a will save? This game is fun as fuck in general, but I find myself feeling like, "Well, I used my last level 1 spell. Might as well go get a snack and a drink, take a leak and maybe a nap. Let me know if I die."

Also, should I take faerie fire even if the druid already has it? It's a really good spell, and it does require concentration, so it would allow us more options if we both had it, I suppose, but I dunno.

>>44023859
Why not variant human for the +1 to two stats and feat?
>>
>>44024071
Because 4 of your ability scores are at an odd number, and you're already getting a free feat.
>>
>>44024112
Oh, right. I forgot about the free feat.
>>
>>44023014
Also because I'm the only one who seems to keep the game/plot/campaign moving, the other players are passive as fuck, so I guess it was a "gift", though a poor one because, fucking wasted feats.
>>
>>44023686
I'd probably go with rolling up a Druid, Paladin, or Cleric with those stats and be a plain old human, because if you do that you'll have a three +3s, two +4s, and just a dump stat in Dex (which admittedly is a bad stat to be the dumpy one, but whatever).

Just be a beefy front liner to go back-to-back with your raging Barbarian friend. Like you could hit 20 AC even with your Dex being a dump stat if you go Cleric or Paladin and grab Plate + Shield and go S&B.
>>
File: Eve_Ventrue_07.jpg (146 KB, 1300x715) Image search: [Google]
Eve_Ventrue_07.jpg
146 KB, 1300x715
Hey guys, here is the link to Quests of Doom volume 1 and 2. Written by Necromancer Games and published by Frog God Games, it features adventures written by authors like Ed Greenwood and Steven Winter. Written using the OGL, it features eighteen adventures that use fifth edition rules, but have a first edition feel.

https://mega.nz/#F!iF9wnYAZ!hDKUHtvWubme490vKYThyQ
>>
>>44023859

I've already played for a few sessions and my character is going to die next session. I have been helping the wizard out so it isn't too bad.

I was thinking of Undying Light Warlock, with the dex I was thinking I could wear heavy armour and multiclass either Cleric or Fighter? I want to try multiclassing since I think the character is strong and well suited to it
>>
>>44023174
Both of the current Bard collages cover Bards from the Sword Coast and most of Faerun in general almost comprehensively. What new collage would you add that is both unique mechanically AND belongs on the Sword Coast?
>>
File: spookyride_zpsd4166c8a.png (1 MB, 441x603) Image search: [Google]
spookyride_zpsd4166c8a.png
1 MB, 441x603
>>44024310
>that use fifth edition rules, but have a first edition feel.
>>
>>44024171
Ideally he'd have you roll up a new character with feats that fit instead of giving you an out-of-character gift that fucks you over.

Alternatively, he needs to learn to motivate his players, but I guess that's a two-way street.
>>
>>44024482
Presumably that means it's balls hard and involves killing lots of goblins and giant ants and shit.

I bet it's fun.
>>
>>44024271

That sounds interesting, could I go Cleric then Warlock I've heard that works?
>>
File: 1446481387961.jpg (353 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446481387961.jpg
353 KB, 1000x1000
Why is half-orc's Savage Attack better than Savage Attacker feat?
>>
>>44020887
need this as well
>>
>>44024310
Thank you! I've been requesting these for a while.
>>
>>44024678
its free
>>
>>44024678
It's not hard to be better than Savage Attacker.
>>
>>44024528
Yeah that sounds about right.

That does sound pretty fun to be honest. I've never got why people harp on about intrigue campaigns and how awesome they are and how combat sucks and RP is king and so-on, because the most fun games I've played in were old-school dungeon crawls where RP had its place, and it was at the door.
>>
>>44024748
>>44024820
How do we fix Savage attacker? Toss in half-orc's racial?
>>
>>44024678
Because feats are a mixed bag that aren't as well designed or balanced as the races in the PHB because they're a variant rule for DMs to allow or disallow if they want more character customization in their games.
>>
File: maymaygetti.jpg (83 KB, 383x512) Image search: [Google]
maymaygetti.jpg
83 KB, 383x512
>>44024310
>necromancer games
>frog god games
>>
>>44024870
Doesn't need fixing, all feats were not created equal. I'm sure there's some Assassin Rogue out there with a magic dagger who wants Savage Attacker more than he does Sharpshooter or Skulker, and the feat as-is works fine for that niche.
>>
File: skr.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
skr.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>44024976
thanks SKR, we all really love the return of trap options at character creation
>>
>>44024847
I like both quite a bit. I'm playing a bard right now and we have combat and dangerous shit AND interacting with NPCs meaningfully quite a bit. I've never felt like either was lacking. It's a lot of fun if you can get a good DM for it. But I also can appreciate full-on political intrigue games and "this could be a board game" straightforward dungeon crawling.
>>
File: 1392683847775.png (97 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1392683847775.png
97 KB, 250x250
>>44024870
My fix is that it gives you two rerolls a turn instead of one, and you can reroll critical hits without using up one of your uses.

I haven't got to test it though because I never actually play.
>>
>>44024976
Does sneak attack count as a single instance of weapon damage? Re-rolling all your dice on a sneak attack would be pretty neato.
>>
one of my players turned evil and leaved the party, what should i do?
>>
>>44025287
Cartoonishly evil or just selfish? Is there a reasonable chance of redemption or at least reconciliation with the party? If so, give it a session or so. If not, s/he's an NPC now. Roll up a new character.
>>
>>44025287
Make him a BBEG?
Have the players try to turn him away from his evil ways?
>>
>>44025287
If you suspect a player has committed a heinous criminal act, such as burglary, murder, or rape, call your local police station's non-emergency number and report it.
>>
What the best way to bard, without actually playing as a bard?

Mastermind rogue with instrument?
>>
>>44025287
Let him roll a new character, he tells you between session what the evil character those through emails.
>>
>>44025325
Anything with Entertainer background.
>>
>>44025325
>>44025392
Do these, but replace sneak attack with bardic inspiration. Work the same exactly the same, but it uses the dice for sneak attacks instead of what the bard uses

There's your non-magical bard
>>
>>44025392
>Anything with Entertainer background.
PHB specifically says that playing an instrument does not make a bard. Read the books or shut the fuck up.

>>44025325
If you're playing for the diplo/skill side of things, then yes. You just wanna skip spellcasting?
>>
>>44025216
No, Savage Attacker does not work with Sneak Attack dice. >>44024976 is a cheater.
>>
>>44025325
Mastermind Entertainer is pretty much a Darksun Bard.
>>
Is there any sort of a guideline for creating custom monsters? I feel like I must have overlooked it somewhere.
>>
>>44024976
Savage attacker does not work that way.

Rather than outright assume you're s powergaming degenerate, in going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you're illiterate.

Learn to read, then read the books.
>>
>>44025450
That Guy's guide to always succeeding the DC
>>
>>44025594
DMG page 273.
>>
>>44025287
tell him not to be a faggot. If someone cant be bothered to be a part of a group then they dont need to be able to play

I dont allow evil characters in my games unless we all decide we want an evil game, and even then YOU DONT FUCK THE PARTY.
>>
>>44025482
>PHB specifically says that playing an instrument does not make a bard.

PHB says that not every musician is a Bard, but every Bard IS a musician.
>>
>>44025595
Okay, you're right. Mea culpa. Still doesn't change the fact that Savage Attacker doesn't need "fixing".
>>
>>44025287
>>44025318
>>44025333

If you want to be the bad guy, be a DM.

wanting to keep playing a character that has turned evil is just the sign of a lazy That Guy
>>
>>44025681
You can very easily play an evil character, but if they left the party, then they have shown that they're not interested in working with the other players.

Which is fine, as far as a character arc goes, but they do need a new character if they plan on playing still.

I'd be 100% ok with a player leaving like this as long as they showed a willingness to continue with a new character.
>>
>>44025634
>>44025634
umm no...

Story-telling Bards have been a staple since the creation of the Bard class.

You trying to tell me the Bard himself, Shakespeare, isnt a Bard?
>>
>>44025310
selfish, he want to know more about the undead and shit so he helped a necromancer
>>
>>44025877
That's just an evil action. It doesn't mean his character is irrevocably evil or incapable of rejoining the party.
>>
File: 1439812808475.gif (1021 KB, 360x300) Image search: [Google]
1439812808475.gif
1021 KB, 360x300
>>44025681
A That Guy DM yells at his players and does stupid meta fiat, instead of just dealing with it in game.

The problem isn't so much that the character is evil, but that he went his separate ways.
People who want to switch characters do this all time, they say that character went home or something, and they play a different character.

Between sessions, my players email me about what their other characters are doing if long periods of time passed. Often it's just bullet points and locations, I tell him something bad happened or good during that time to each character.
>>
File: Bard.png (658 KB, 400x692) Image search: [Google]
Bard.png
658 KB, 400x692
>>44025845
>the bard is a master of song
>The music of bards is an attempt to harness these echoes
>Discovering the magic hidden in music
>Depth of knowledge, a level of musical skill and a touch of magic

Bard means something different in D&D terms as opposed to in real life.
>>
>>44025772
In my experience people who want to play evil character are nothing but trouble.

I have never seen a evil character played well by a player. They always fuck the party over which isnt fun. #1 rule in my games is EVERYONE has to have fun.

Maybe your players can play evil without it being a problem, but I have experienced quite the opposite, 1 campaign ive run and 2 campaigns ive played in have all ended due to players turning evil and fucknig over the party
>>
>>44026020
>Discovering the magic hidden in music
You don't know anything about performing arts and their cultural significance literally everywhere if you think it doesn't fit.
>>
>>44026020
huh. Apparently then Im just illiterate

Ive always play storytelling Bards who use the power of words rather than music and no one has ever corrected me till now.

You may be correct sir, but I will keep on in my incorrect ways.
>>
>>44026020
>song, speech, and the magic they contain
>they
>meaning both song AND speech contain magic
>>
>>44024659
I'll admit I don't know the mechanical reasons behind why going Warlock is good in terms of multiclassing. But there's a lot of domain options for Clerics and your stats will allow for them to match up well. And once you hit 20 Wisdom by level 8, you can spend the rest of your ASIs on buffing whatever you want or spending it on more feats.

And there's still some good, offensive spells for Clerics to use if they get in the fray (Spirit Guardians is pretty damn good).
>>
>>44026187
He's not correct though. Like, legends about musicians and people reciting odes and shit doing amazing shit through the power of word is old as fuck.

And theatre, before the 20th century, almost always had music.
>>
>>44026187
Eh it's fine. It's literally just class fluff anyway. Now I'm going to argue with other anons about it.

>>44026208
Yeah and then literally everything else just talks about the music as the source of the magic. Bards are musicians m8.
>>
>>44025902
well he attacked the party
>>
>>44024310
Thanks.
>>
>>44026248
>And theatre, before the 20th century, almost always had music.

Which is relevant why? If anything it further justifies bards-as-musicians, accompanying their stories with musical spells.
>>
File: typical chaotic good.jpg (74 KB, 523x362) Image search: [Google]
typical chaotic good.jpg
74 KB, 523x362
>>44026068
You forgot to mention to your groups that alignments should be viewed as teams more or less. Being evil doesn't mean you go out of your way to fuck people over or have a deathwish. Self interest, reputation and self preservation are still important.

I actually have the most problems with neutral characters, they like to act like evil ones but without the fun roleplaying.
>>
>>44025914
>stupid meta fiat

>No Jerry Im not going to allow you to slit the Paladin's throat and take his +2 Flaming Brand Longsword 'cuz it what your character would do'. How bout instead you play a character that isnt a giant faggot?
I fail to see what is wrong about not allowing douchebaggy behavious that will cause an ooc argument.

Im not wasting my Wednesday night so Steve and Jerry can work out their unresolved heterosexual tensions.
>>
>>44026313
Yeah his character is a hostile NPC now. He's an encounter at the start of the next session or leaving to live on a farm or join a cult and come back as a villain later. The party stays together, not necessarily physically but as friends/allies, or there is no party.
>>
>>44026248
Honestly doesnt matter to me.

Rule Zero says I can change whatever I want anyways
>>
>>44026378
Let him do it. But something fucks up and Jerry gets his ass kicked in the end.
Or you can make it rule that you control all evil alignments, so as soon as he says that-- you take his character sheet. He'll learn his lesson real quick.

PvP can actually make for great RP, some groups can handle it; some can't. It's a great way to dispose of shit characters and potty train goobers.
>>
>>44026355
>alignments should be viewed as teams more or less.
fair point. I actually do do this. I dont nessesarily have an issue with playing Evil in general, my issue is players working against the party.

Stealing from and attacking/trying to kill party members are things I will straight up veto. But I do explain this to players well before the campaign ever begins so it should never come as a surprise.

Have had fun playing in and running evil campaigns (planning bank robberies are really fun) but even then we dont fuck each other and dont turn on each other. its not fun and its not interesting roleplaying. its just stupid, predictable and lazy.
>>
>>44026724
>But something fucks up and Jerry gets his ass kicked in the end.

doesnt sound like fun for jerry. My #1 rule is everyone should be having fun, even jerry.

Im not gonna fuck him over, its easier and causes less argument to just say 'No'

>or you can make it rule that you control all evil alignments,

I control all OPPOSITION to the party. If its a 'Good Guys Save the Day' type of game then ya I control all the evil guys. If it is a 'We are bad guys and fuck shit up' campaign then I control the good guys.

>some groups can handle it; some can't.
True, guess my group is one of the ones that cant. I personally have never seen good RP come out of it and someone always ends up pissed off. Statistically it causes too many problems for me so I would rather just not have it be an issue.
>>
File: 1447954233026.png (483 KB, 1000x1201) Image search: [Google]
1447954233026.png
483 KB, 1000x1201
>>44026068
In my experience it is actually the good aligned players that are generally more disruptive of the overall group. Not that I mind some of the tension that they bring. It's just that some of the more willful people in a "Any Alignment" game tend to be on the side of evil, with some of the more neutral characters generally agreeing with their plan because their actions benefited the group as a whole. Whereas the Good guys would either get tripped up in a moral quandary or derail planes because the characters believed it to be unethical.

I mean. This is just my experience. I've seen some good RP from both team evil and team good. It's just that it actually requires a bit more skill to RP as a good character in a mixed alignment game, than it is to RP as a evil character. Simply because an evil character's actions can be justified as them being manipulative and sneaky.
>>
>>44026355

Nigga, I might not know much, but I DO know kawaii.

Taking a shit on the roof of my car is NOT kawaii.
>>
>>44026922
Any alignment games a shit. Make the players pick one and stick with it or the party inevitably falls apart due to ethical conflict.
>>
>>44026922
>Using Evangelion picture
Opinion Disregarded
>>
>>44025670
This, savage attacker doesn't need fixing, it needs to be completely removed from the PHB because is pure shit beyond fixing.
>>
>>44022039
I would change the DC only if something is harder or easier to accomplish with all other things being equal. I would give advantage or disadvantage situationally since all things are not ever equal and one may have a crap idea or good circumstances.

It's important in distinction. No matter what you do, a lock is always the same difficulty to pick. With crap tools, it could be tough to do, but the lock hasn't changed. If something else occurs to help (new tools, guidance) it still isn't easier but you canceled out the problem preventing the issue. Much easier to adjudicate a lot of variables than going up or down on the DC all the time.

The lock is always just the lock. The world around it is just constantly in flux. Use both.
>>
>>44020774
Am I the only one who finds it a bit gag-inducing that that image implies that alignments are the only thing needed to craft a scenario?
>>
>>44026967
A game that involves only a single alignment is just not very realistic in my eyes and most people aren't particularly imaginative whenever it comes to alignments in the first place. So having more than one option is good.

>>44027007
Eva is good bby.
>>
>>44027052
Like a bunch of feats, it's a watered down version of a class feature that would probably be considered acceptable as a racial. No you're not going to have a full class' feature as a feat, that's stupid.
>>
>>44026967
I no longer allow Neutral characters in my games at all

Not since that one asshole took the True Neutral joke from futureama as character inspiration.

sure it seems funny at first to answer every question with "I have no strong feeling one way or another" the first couple time. but by the 24,567th time it makes me want to kill you with a folding chair.

His commitment to the bit was simultaneously admirable and loathsome, but i'll never play with him again.
>>
>>44027087
Its, by far, the worst feat, it doesn't even give you a +1 to one stat to compensate how fucking shitty the main effect is.

But woe us if something that you get 5 times in 20 levels is actually useful.
>>
>>44027066
>It is unrealistic that a group of people committed to defending each other's lives would share similar world views

Someone has been watching too much shitty anime. Eva sucks Shinji's non-existent dick.
Seriously how incompetent do you have to be to take a concept like "giant robots punch giant monsters in the face" and fuck it up?
>>
>>44026870
Players trash characters they're bored with all the time or screw up. Perhaps he was actually trying to dispose of that character, but he wanted to go out in a bang(probably just being a goober).

Mother-may-I style DM'ing is slippery slope, before you know it you'll be advising them how a overcome something, since stupid choices aren't allowed. Kills a lot of memorable sessions that never were, and shows that you don't really trust your players at the end of day with big boy decisions.
>>
>>44027228
>Shitty players trash characters they're bored with all the time

Fixed it for you
>>
>Want to try a build
>TPK without even able to try what I wanted
Fuck, what should I do? copy-paste the same character with a different name? wait a little? I hate when this shit happens, guess is the problem of starting at fucking 1st level.
>>
>>44027294
With a different background and characterization it would probably still fly.
Talk to your DM about if this would be too disrupting or whatever. If it's too obvious it'll probably be a bit distracting.
>>
>>44027294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ohk5Swy-04
>>
>>44027294
Probably best to just be upfront and talk to your DM about it. That said, if your primary reason for wanting to make that character was to 'try a build', it may be best to simply play a character you'd prefer to roleplay.

Out of curiosity, what was the build?
>>
>>44027228
>slippery slope fallacy

>memorable sessions
ya that time jerry called alan a "cock-gobbling faggot" and left 2 hours early was really memorable. good times.
>>
>>44027228
That Guy Detected
>>
File: cross.jpg (93 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
cross.jpg
93 KB, 720x720
>>44027419
Why do you even tolerate such a shithead in your group? I'm curious why so obsessed with pleasing Jerry.
>>
>>44019411
>>44020887
>>44024703
There are three as far as I know, Demongnome's Manual of Monsters, the "Expanded Bestiary" collection and Necromancer Games' "Fifth Edition Foes". The Demongnome one is in the index: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AABmdimNuEUGLQZBYXOYUo1ra/Creatures%20-%20Demongnomes%20Manual%20of%20Monsters.pdf?dl=0
Fifth Edition Foes: http://www.mediafire.com/download/23y7xhacy3qpf91
Expanded Bestiary is probably something from Reddit since it's not in the index and I've never seen it in 5eg, attaching in case you want it.
>>
>>44027497
Everyone playing the game should have fun. Even Jerry. Just cuz someone has autism doesnt mean we cant all have fun.

Also, Jerry is not where my 'dont fuck over the party' rules comes from, but from those before Jerry. Time when I ran Pathfinder games on Roll20. Those were dark times...
>>
>>44027163
I think Eva suffers to much from its age. At the time it was made it was taking the "giant robots punch giant monsters in the face" thing apart in a way that hadn't been done before. Plus a whole load of shock value in the visuals and plot points.

Modern anime has had the giant mech cliches picked apart and put back together so many times that the genre has actually evolved (partly influenced by Eva and later deconstructions) and moved on from Eva. It's not avant garde anymore so people can't see the value in it. I personally like it but I get why it's considered bad.

>>44027497
>>44027419
Jerry won't slit the Paladin's throat, he has too much HP. Unless Jerry's an Assassin in which case the Paladin makes death saves while his gurgling screams wake everyone up.

Huzzah, now Jerry gets to have his big moment while the party gets to kill him like the cockmongling teamkiller he is.
>>
>>44027294
You never ever should try builds if you start at 1st level, what you do is come up with a boring as fuck concept and try to survive, then, when you have enough level, retire that character and try whatever you want.

Complex builds don't survive the first levels.
>>
So, my friends play in that adventure league thing that WOTC sanctions, I was thinking of joining my friends. My question is, does WOTC sanction death domain clerics?

I was thinking of joining them but beast master rangers seem to suck massive amounts of cock and the only thing really zazzing me are death domain clerics.
>>
>>44027734
Eva was never avant garde, it was pretentious, up its own ass, and predictable as hell. The plot wasnt even laughably bad. It cant even be considered 'so bad its good'

It was just a giant steaming pile of predictable shit pack full of unlikible characters whom you didnt even get the satisfaction of watching die.

also, how do you know the phase 'avant garde' but not 'coup de grace'?

You are as dumb as your taste is poor.
>>
>>44027831
>My question is, does WOTC sanction death domain clerics?
They do not.

There's an Adventurer's League pdf that has the okay'ed stuff.
>>
>>44027734
>Instead of using DM-fiat to resolve the situation you should just use DM-fiat instead. Also i love the taste of Hideaki Anno's cock.

That is you. That is what you sound like
>>
>>44027898
>also, how do you know the phase 'avant garde' but not 'coup de grace'?

I know what that means, and also that that's not a thing in 5th edition retard. Don't be surprised when your shitty houserules get abused by moronic players.
>>
>>44027905
>>44027831
>>
>>44027965
>Instead of using DM-fiat to resolve the situation you should just use DM-fiat instead.

I'm going to allow the player's action and mete out consequences rather than say it didn't happen. There's a subtle difference if you can read English.
>>
UA when?
>>
File: 1419098218153.jpg (100 KB, 998x810) Image search: [Google]
1419098218153.jpg
100 KB, 998x810
>>44027898
Well I'm not that poster, but you like 5e. So you're shit is just about as poor as mine is fucklord.
>>
If Evangellion is so shit why are we talking about it on /tg/ 20 years later?
>>
>>44028071
Weeb-Virt pls go.
>>
>>44027898
>coup de grace
>5e

You are dumb. You are so dumb.
>>
>>44028031
Tomorrow, probably around noon CST.
>>
>>44027973
>Attacking against an Unconscious or Paralyzed creature
>Massive Damage

A rose by any other name...

Tho I shouldn't expect some who thinks Eva is 'avant garde' to have elementary school level reading comprehension, so thats my fault.
>>
>>44028132
If you attack an incapacited creature it gets 2 failed death rolls, nomatter you deal 1 damage or 1 billion.

To kill by massive damage you need to deal his current HPs + his full HPs in damage, pretty hard to accomplish beyond first levels.
>>
File: Set_Phasers_To_Mongle.jpg (112 KB, 357x310) Image search: [Google]
Set_Phasers_To_Mongle.jpg
112 KB, 357x310
>>44027734
Good adjective
>>
>>44024870
You can use it every attack, then it's acceptable as a damage boosting feat for mounted fighters with lances. Or make it a half feat that also boosts a stat, or find some other benefit to add.
>>
>>44028268
>implying you dont find out about shit players before level 3.
>>
>>44028102
old habits die hard.

an autocrit at low levels is easily x2 HP Lethal, especially from rogues, whom are ALWAYS the ones who try to slit throats.
>>
File: Shadowfell-Boxed-Set-013.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Shadowfell-Boxed-Set-013.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Planning to have my campaign head into the Shadowfell next session and I love the idea of Despair Cards from 4e.
Problem is I can't find a list of effects or other such ways to easily find out what they would entail, though I did find this picture that at least gives the names of all of the cards.

Given that I'd have to change a fair few uses of terminology to give similar effects I might as well wing the effects and just go off the descriptions, but I've only just started. Does anyone have a list of the card effects handy or want to help me whip up my own?
>>
>>44028132
Massive damage is an optional rule, unless you mean the rules for instant death in which case the Rogue would have to roll incredibly well to manage that.

If the Rogue is killing him over a +2 flaming longsword then they must be high level, say ~level 10. At that level a Paladin with a +3 Con mod has on average 94 HP. The Rogue hits him with a rapier for 2d8+10d6+5 because autocrit. That averages out to 49 damage. 50-1 if you assume a +1-2 weapon. That Rogue can't even hope to kill the Paladin in one hit, even if he is unconscious. If he rolls maximum on all the dice with the +2 rapier then he deals 82 damage, which is still not enough to kill the Paladin.

Hell scale it down to level 5, let's assume they have a weapon way over their level. Paladin only has 49HP. Rogue hits for 2d8+6d6+5 (we'll assume he has 20 dex though by rights he shouldn't). That's a maximum of 57, which is enough to kill the Paladin, but an average of 35. Still can't kill the Paladin reliably. Certainly can't instantly kill him, system shock might get the Paladin but even then in the worst case scenario he's going to be making death saves like any PC does when they drop to 0 hitpoints. He certainly can't deal damage over the Paladin's Constiution score to insta-kill him.

Conclusion: Jerry can't even kill the Paladin, he should probably have just lifted the sword off him instead of being a teamkilling fuckwit. Also stick your dumb fucking house rules, they facilitate cockmonglers like Jerry who murder their friends in their sleep.
>>
>>44028306
>>44027052
I made this suggestion as a fix and I'd still rather it be removed from the game than deal with a PC that rerolls the damage of every hit just for slowing down the game too much. Plus, GWF style. Fuck that. Exile that shit feat.
>>
Why are Rogues proficient with longswords but not scimitars? They can't even sneak attack with longswords.
>>
>>44027987
What's a fun class to play in your opinion? I never played 5E from a player standpoint.

Also does adventures league incorporate the sword coast adventurers guide?
>>
>>44028566
This.
People are going to reroll everytime, at least GWF is for when you roll a 1 or a 2, doesn't happen that much.
>>
>>44028574
Moonblades.
>>
>>44028521

>assumes I dont give lvl 1s super powerful magic weapons at the start

But seriously, you know this mathematically proves that just saying "No Jerry don't be a fuck-wit" saves me a lot of math.

Thanks anon!
>>
>>44028574
Because sunblades and moonblades, magic weapons from the DMG that have the finesse property.

But here the funny stuff, if you are proficient with shortswords you're already proficient with sunblades...and moonblades don't always have finesse property (you have to roll the properties from moonblades) so really, why? who knows.

People are going to reply you that an useless feature is better than no feature though, because people is dumb.
>>
>>44028599
>Have to roll to see if you get finesse
>Chances are that isn't going to be finesse
So, in the odd as fuck case that you're an elf or a half elf, in the more odd case that you get to find a moonblade, in the way more odd case you roll finesse for that moonblade...you can use it. Woah, that's a really shitty excuse, also pretty fucking metagaming, not every rogue is going to be elf and find a monnblade with finesse, so why rogues "train" with longswords?
>>
>>44028574
Leftover from when longswords were one-handed. IMO it would probably be better to give bard and rogue full proficiency in martial finesse weapons and lose longsword.
>>
>>44028584
It does, though there's some weirdness with it and Elemental Evil that I haven't looked too far into.

I find Swashbuckler to be very fun to play, also Wizard though that's more of a power trip after level 5 or so. Bearbarian is fun but bear in mind you'll want to slap medium armour on ASAP for decent AC.
>>
>>44028636
Saves the players a lot of maths. You as the DM just have to sit there and watch Jerry cry as the Paladin stands up and pile-drives his face into the floor while he has nobody but himself to blame.
>>
>>44028584
Bard, Rogue, Paladin, Warlock as my usual go-tos
>>
>>44028688
Longswords ARE one-handed.
>>
>>44028767
Are they? I thought the 5e longsword was the old bastard sword
>>
>>44028747
What is fun about watching an autistic cry tho?

Is it wrong I'd rather just say "no" and move on with the game? Is it bad DMing to want everyone to have fun?

Also, it is a bitch to get tears out of teak floors

Seriously tho, Jerry is actually autistic. Its way better for everyone to just say no and explain why he shouldnt.
>>
>>44028376
Level 1 rogue can do 2d8+2d6+3 (18) average.

Level 1 paladin has 12-13hp.

Rogue needs to do 24-26 damage all at once to kill outright.

So in fact it isn't easy its more likely than not to fail
>>
>>44028791
Longsword held one handed deals 1d8
Longsword held two handed deals 1d10
It's both, longsword has now versatile property which allows you to use it either with one hand or with two
>>
File: 1367913916912.jpg (19 KB, 350x465) Image search: [Google]
1367913916912.jpg
19 KB, 350x465
>>44028521
Goober-wrangler DM BTFO

Jerry would have gotten lynched, and it would have been sweet divine justice.
>>
>>44028762
>Warlocks
Do GMs in adventures league allow enough short rests? my previous experiences with this class tell me it fucking sucks man ass.
>>
>>44028844
>What is fun about watching an autistic cry tho?

Maybe I am just a sadist then, like my psychiatrist said.
>>
>>44028684
What does it matter
>>
>>44028881
I've never tried Warlock in an AL game honestly, it's more "what four classes to I play and find fun everytime I pick them" and aside from the addition of 4e warlord has mostly been true in general.
>>
>>44020774
>how long did it take you stop being mediocre at DMing?

>Implying I ever stopped
>>
>>44028926
See, like I said >>44028638
>>
>>44024528
It totally has an adventure where you invade a giant anthill and kill giant ants.
>>
>>44024870
You deal Str Mod damage on a grapple, shove, disarm, etc?
>>
>>44024870
Replace its effect with:
>When you deal damage with a melee weapon, you deal one extra die of damage of the same type the weapon deals.

And that's it. Worth a feat and universal.
>>
The cantrip thaumatugry, it can change flame colors. My question is, can I change the colors of the flames I conjure through other spells like flame bolt and the likes?

I want to be a scumbag special snowflake that casts purple flames or some other color.
>>
>>44029791
The problem with that is that thaumaturgy takes an action, and most fire spells are instantaneous (so the flames are gone before you can change the color).

Just ask your DM if all your fire magic can be a certain color.
>>
File: 1444830855927.jpg (26 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
1444830855927.jpg
26 KB, 500x306
>>44028109
When is that in civilized people time? 7 bong?
>>
>>44029622
Might be balanced at high level, but your level 1 variant human with a 2 handed axe is now doing 2-24+STR instead of 1-12+STR every turn.
>>
>>44029815
I doubt it, I'm the guy whose making that adventurers league character. So I'm assuming if I can't bullshit it through logic where, I can buff myself with thaumaturgy for 10 turns in combat to cast different colored flame spells I don't see it flying in adventurers league.

It was kind of murky and hoping MAYBE it could be casted on a source of flame in this case the player, and not the flame itself.
>>
>a random encounter happens

Okay, how far away are they?

This is something older editions of D&D did perfectly but the past three editions of D&D have had no rules for.

>"I rolled a 16-20, you're fighting hobgoblins."

Fuck you. Give me more information, rules. Don't give me bullshit about how it's "up to the DM" or I'd just decide the fight and everythign instead of relying on random spur-of-the-moment factors.
>>
File: saves your excuses for hell.png (2 MB, 1280x1295) Image search: [Google]
saves your excuses for hell.png
2 MB, 1280x1295
>>44030135
Random encounters are shit and if you depend on them that much, you are shit.
>>
Has anyone used the Hero Point rule from the DMG, or something similar? How did it go?
>>
>>44030203
They also get incredibly silly and make it hard to justify there being any civilization at all. They're the equivalent of Skyrim's sabertooths on main roads or Oblivion's ebony-geared bandits and spriggans everywhere.
>>
>>44030242
It works well if you remind your players of them regularly.

It makes lower levels much more survivable and gets replaced with normal core features as they level up.
>>
Alright. So here's a question.
What the fuck is going on with the barren wasteland of no new fucking materials for 5e?

Where are the class books, the extra PHBs, the campaign settings beyond "five pages of web supplement"?

What the fuck is going on? Did they decide not to support the game as soon as it came out? What's with this fucking trickle? I'd expect this from many companies, but Wizards of the motherfucking Coast?
>>
>>44028991
Can you explain why it matters giving rogues longsword proficiency
>>
>>44030379
They're 5 people and can't do a full book every month because Hasbro slashed their budget after 5e. Wizards doesn't actually exist anymore, there will never be fucking class books, 4e's PHB2 was a dumb idea, and SCAG just fucking came out.
>>
>>44029622
Just add a crit die NEXT
>>
>>44030414
It doesn't, it's literally a holdover that should have been traded for something actually interesting like whips.
>>
>>44030135
Make the players declare a marching order, decide who's navigating and who's keeping a lookout, what about their supplies and mounts, is the terrain difficult? If it's a single-file march then who's where, if not how many abreast and in what order, what's their pace, have they been warned about hobgoblins, are they camping perhaps?

Take some initiative as a DM and decide what kind of terrain features there are, describing them to the players as you do. A ridge, a hill, a treeline, tall grass, a river, a gorge with nothing but rickety rope ladders, a ravine crossed by a rickety rope bridge that shudders as they walk.

Think about how hobgoblins operate and how they might approach. Are they marching along the road in the opposite direction, off to campaign? Are they lying in wait for an enemy force and mistake the players for them? Are they a scouting party looking for food? Are they drunk off their asses coming back from Big Chief Noggernug's birthday party and carrying the remains of a six tier fucking cake with them?
>>
>>44030443
If they didn't have longsword prof would you complain
>>
>>44030379
The SCAG literally just came out. They're trying not to do the 4e thing of bombarding people with material nobody will ever fucking use. A lot of the campaign setting stuff is in adventures, an extra PHB is unnecessary, class books are a fucking stupid idea.
>>
>>44030379
D&D has a total of 15 people working on it. That's rules development and licensing and other stuff, in total. They don't have the in-house manpower to crank out books like that.

Rules bloat does nothing positive for a system in the long run, and having barely-advertised books shat out every month can't be good for revenue, either.

They want to try something different after flooding their own market every edition since forever.

No system besides D&D (and, perhaps, GURPS) is expected to flood the market with material that most people will never use, so there's no reason for them to bother.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>44030487
No. The longsword in the elven racial, bard and thief literally feels like they put it there before being sure of what they were going to do with weapons. There's other equally good blades which also work with what these two classes and that race have to offer, which is high dex.
>>
File: 1372024335710.gif (711 KB, 360x242) Image search: [Google]
1372024335710.gif
711 KB, 360x242
>>44030379
>mfw 4E turbo aids release cycle

>>44030526
How many did 4E have?
>>
>>44020774
What do you guys think of this variant rule to replace the current Inspiration mechanics?

>Characters have a number of Inspiration points equal to 1 + their Intellect or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher. A character may spend an Inspiration point before making an ability check to gain advantage to that check. They should describe how their character's knowledge, cunning, or quick wits helped them gain an edge to that particular check. GMs who feel their description is insufficient or nonsensical can prevent a player from spending Inspiration on that particular check. A character regains half of their maximum Inspiration, rounded up, after taking a Long Rest.

Do you like it? Hate it? If so, how would you improve it?
>>
>>44030674
>How many did 4E have?
I'm not sure, but there are like 35 people credited in the front of the first 4e PHB?
>>
>>44030807
I'm not seeing why Inspiration should cue off Intelligence
>>
>>44030807
So you use Wis/Int modifiers so that Wis/Int skills can be justified, that makes sense. Now why would you not do the exact same for Charisma, Dexterity and even Strength? And when you go there then you're back to square one since having good modifiers there already gives you a plus to the roll. If you want to change it so that you have advantage x number of times instead of +x to all checks, or have both, do that, but don't go for something arbitrarily in-between.
>>
>>44030807
Inspiration is 100% to encourage roleplaying, leave it as is
>>
>>44030807

...wouldn't that heavily favor casters?
>>
>>44022748
No, it needs to be "group up, and hit it 'til it dies."
>>
>>44031153
Actually, in the latter case it replaces an already existing thing, which is granting inspiration even when you don't HAVE to. If the GM thinks the character would be better at the skill than their modifiers say, or if there is something environmental to aid them. This forces the players to make up excuses to get to use inspiration and will just end up having poor justifications.
>>
Best feat for a variant human to take at level 1 as a rogue going for arcane trickster?

My first thought was savage attacker but I see it getting a lot of hate in this thread.
>>
>>44031274
Magic Initiate or Observant with a +1 to Int from it.
>>
>>44031274
Warcaster or the Ritual feat
>>
>>44030934
It's meant to represent flashes of insight or creativity the character has, the 'aha!' moment when they spot a weak point in an enemy's armour or come up with a clever comeback line.

>>44031153
Because I want to find a way to make Intelligence and Wisdom more useful for non-caster characters of all classes. I'm not trying to make Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution better. I'm trying to make Intelligence and Wisdom more attractive options. Eventually I'll get around to making Charisma more useful, but I'm looking for feedback on this first.

>>44031157
That's what it's geared towards in the base game, I'm trying to find a way to make it more, uh, diegetic if that's the right word. Something that's a character trait, not a player trait. Kind of like how the Lucky feat represents your character being lucky, not the player becoming empowered with the ability to make re-rolls.

>>44031163
Yes, you're absolutely right, but I'm trying to make it something that helps and is desirable by non-casters as well. Suggestions on how to do that would be really helpful.
>>
>>44031411
This pretty much, Lucky is great too.

+1 to all is better most of the time though.
Think of it like this, if you could chose +1 to all or a feat beyond the first level, what would you choose?
>>
Thoughts on this situation? I want to know if I can do the following as a level 5 Fighter with the Charger feat (although, this shouldn't really affect anything)

>Wielding a lance with two hands, have a shield on back.
>Charge 20ft, land attack on first baddie in a line of baddies
>Equip shield as a free action at end of turn
>Get attacked by x creatures with new AC
>Start of next turn, take a 5ft step back (assume AOO's missed)
>Free action to stow shield
>Full attack with lance
>>
>>44031597
Donning/doffing shields is an action.
>>
>>44031597
>>44031663
It should technically work. Drawing a weapon is an object interaction that can be done during another action, so I imagine it's the same for shield (unless errata says otherwise).
>>
>>44031663
Well shit, completely missed that. I thought that fell under object interaction like sheathing / unsheathing a weapon. But yeah, it's right there on page 146.
>>
File: page 146 donning&doffing.jpg (131 KB, 636x468) Image search: [Google]
page 146 donning&doffing.jpg
131 KB, 636x468
>>44031751
>>
>>44031785
Then I, too, missed that. I guess somebody thought of your plan beforehand.
>>
>>44027987

>Demongnome's Manual has stats for Giant Space Hamsters

i don't even.

>>44027987
I think I'm missing something about Adventurer's League. Is it meant to be like, I can play in Store A for a while and then pick up later with Store B with a different DM there or something? Frankly it just doesn't seem fun in the first place to play with so many restrictions, like "You can't give other players your gold, because Reasons."
>>
>>44032164
The restriction on trading is so you don't need to keep logs of it, as such would basically be impossible without an online database.
> Don't worry guys, I got this gold and legendary item legit, a guy at a con gave it to me
>>
>>44032692

But couldn't I just write some treasure down from an adventure that I didn't really get, and be like "Oh yeah I got this staff of defense from the evil mage" regardless?
>>
>>44033074
AL DMs are supposed to record which adventures you take part in, which have treasure and XP caps. Magic items also have printed-out certificates that you're supposed to hold on to.
>>
>>44030526
>No system besides D&D (and, perhaps, GURPS) is expected to flood the market with material that most people will never use

Who are Paizo
>>
>>44033102

Huh, ok. Thanks for the info. Still seems like a strange way to play to me but I guess I can see the appeal for some people.

Anyway
>Criminal starting lifestyle is Poor
>Urchin starting lifestyle is Modest

I guess crime really doesn't pay
>>
>>44033241
3.75 edition d&d? Yeah I guess they count.
>>
>>44028404
Seconding this. I'd love to have my hands on something like this for a spooky dungeon and have people draw from a deck when their mental fortitude starts to wither
>>
>>44031591
feat still.
+1 to all only mattes if the class is really MAD and additionally only if I'm at odd numbers to bump them up to even.

Feats are powerful, m8.
>>
>>44029963
I think it's about 6-7 bong.
>>
>>44031785
you have to strap a shield onto your forearm in order for it to truly block effectively.

you're thinking of a buckler.
>>
could you get through a small campaign in three long play sessions. I would say totaling in around 24 hours
>>
>>44034259
I would say that qualifies as a "very short campaign".
>>
>>44034329
its a lot of new players and they are just visiting for a few days during the holiday but i was wondering realistically if I could get them to complete a small campaign.

Got any ideas to make it a smooth process so we can focus on progression rather than tedious bullshit
>>
>>44034445
characters built beforehand

setting filling in all done beforehand

clear goals

Make sure party has what it needs to do your planned adventure. If there's nobody with trap disabling and you have a lot of traps, you might want to point out to everybody "hey, what will you all do if there's traps?" Have the barbarian tank them all and then the two priesties heal him is good enough., just make sure they have a plan. Same goes (especially) for healing. Plenty of ways to get it, whether through feats, or spells, or class features that make shortrests better, or etcetra. Just make sure they've got at least one, or shortrests ever 5 minutes will start getting cumbersome. Or people will start dying for stupid reasons. That's the other option, depends on how foolhardy they are.
Unlike thieves tools and healing, Rituals/Casting aren't quite as brickwall if nobody has them, but still nice to have around and speed some things up.

Combat timer. Printed spell cards. Make sure everybody writes down what their feats and class features do on their character sheet, so no constant rulebook checking.

Additionally, make yourself pretty familiar with the rulebook, so you don't need to check things often either. When you do, electronic bookmarked scan is most useful if you know where things are. Physical book is next most useful if you don't.
>>
>>44034762
awesome thanks man i think im going to skype with each person to setup their characters
>>
Cleric Beast jumps down from a chapel and attacks your party. What happens?

Can a party of 4 level 3's beat it?
>>
>>44035377
The beast isn't dangerous in particular - it's one of the easier fights in the game. Considering it's also weak to fire, it has a common weakness that can be readily exploited.

A group of level 3's (Let's say a group of 4) could take him on as a boss, i'm sure.

He's no Ludwig.
>>
>>44029622
>Deal an extra 6.5 average damage on every hit with your lance.
Yeah, no.

How about Str bonus damage when you miss, or reroll one missed attack. On top of its effects.
>>
DMing for the first time within a few weeks. Our entire group is pretty new to TTRPGs, so there's little experience around. Should I focus on small stories/quests or one longer overarching story for our campaign? I had one of the latter planned, but as I read the PHB more and more, it seems like the "bosses" I would be pitting them against would all come up after at least level 10. Any input?
>>
what is the male vs female ratio in your party?
>>
>>44035377
Easy. A party of 1 lvl 1 can beat it in game so on table 4 lvl 3 players should be just fine. Gascoigne on the other hand could prove to be very challenging.
>>
>>44035620
Three women, one man played by a That Gal as the edgiest character I've ever seen at a gaming table, to a point where we're considering ditching the character for fucking up attempts at diplomacy constantly.

One of the women is played by the lone guy at our table (someone's bf).
>>
>>44035377
i doubt it. the cleric beast is basically a high level adventurer who turned into a werewolf, but instead of becoming a normal werewolf, he became a huge however many stories tall werewolf.

which 4 level 3 adventurers probably cant kill.
>>
>>44035711
He's like 15 feet all. And one person can kill him.

He's the least most dangerous beast from the healing church you deal with. There's no information about what the cleric beast was before he hulked out. He just changed so badly due to the way members of the healing church change.
>>
>>44035620
dm is a guy. party is 5 people, 1 of which is a girl.
>>
>>44035711
Any ideas for a undead/spooky boss monster for a party of 4 level 8s?
>>
>>44035620
My group is 2 MtF trans and one guy and myself. It's a pretty interesting but overall tame group of good friends.
>>
>>44035734
>>44035711
Ops, didn't mean to quote.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.