[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to run a game for my 11 year old nephew. I own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: dnd.jpg (43 KB, 625x625) Image search: [Google]
dnd.jpg
43 KB, 625x625
I'm going to run a game for my 11 year old nephew.

I own DnD3.5, DnD 5e, Pathfinder, Dungeon World, and 13th Age. Which of these systems would be best to teach to a kid whose rpg knowledge consists only of Skyrim? Should I use a different system?

Also, how to tailor a campaign to a single player?
>>
>>44015285
Use the one that you can explain the best and throw out half of the rules.
>>
>>44015285
start them off with 3.5, then pathfinder, then 5e, then DW, then 13th age
>>
>>44015285
5e was literally designed for the equivalent of children, so use that one.
>>
>>44015285
>Posting a reddit meme pic
>>
File: MS_HeroesHesiod.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MS_HeroesHesiod.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44015285
Try this.
>>
>>44015285
Avoid 3.5 and pathfinder. Too crunchy. Don't know about 13th Age.
>>
>>44015492
*Way* too crunchy .I'd say 13th or maybe Dnd 5e if your must.
>>
>>44015285
>run a game for my 11 year old nephew.

...is it a one-player game?
>>
File: 1431189244706.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1431189244706.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44015285
Use this. It's simple as heck and pretty fun! You're familiar with Dungeon World, this is simpler and more flexible. Enjoy!
>>
>>44015285
5e is really simple, but make up the more complex rules as you go along to keep thinks simpler.
>>
>>44015285
The capability to role-play is system agnostic. Story-telling is system agnostic. These skills are utterly disassociated from rolling dice or holding a controller.

If he's used to playing video games, you need to ease him into using his imagination for the game world. Use visual, auditory, and kinesthetic aids like minis/tokens, maps, music, and physical puzzles to get his brain attached to what his characters are doing. Encourage him to role-play by doing some role-playing of your own.

Explain to him that character creation is just as much deciding WHO your character is as what they can do by getting him to play an archetype (I RP'd the greatest mage in Skyrim by making a magic user and going from one side of the map to the other, killing anyone and anything that used magic until it was just me and RNG'd NPC's left. Use a similar thing, like a sword fighter that refuses to use shields and is focused on agile, dexterous combat because his family was murdered by a ninja and he wants to be him at his own game).

If he's coming from video games, even Skyrim, he's going to need clear, concise goals. You can get him to figure out how to make goals of his own by giving him clear, concise choices. You don't have to railroad, but it can't be total player freedom. He'll just get bored.
>>
>>44015285

Dungeon World is about perfect for that, as he only needs to learn the rules on the character sheet, and the basic/special moves list, and making a character is super fast and easy.
5e or 13th Age will work, too, if he's the sort with a fair bit of patience.
Save PF/3e for kids who are number-obsessed spergy types. They're way too crunchy for most folks who aren't already huuuge nerds.
>>
>>44015769
The only time a system will play into this is the focus of the system on gamism. Simulation-focused games and narrative-focused table-tops are not for new players, especially ones coming from video games.

Play D&D with him. Any edition (if you go with 3.PF, don't give him all the errata at character creation, just stick with the standard PHB). Don't bog him down with numbers and charts unless it's really obvious that's what he wants (most people who come from video games don't).

Help him make decisions by asking him what he wants to do and then building that character for him. That way you teach him the game instead of forcing him to learn it on his own by showing him the process, but he doesn't get bogged down in a million different decisions. If he wants to play a caster, reduce the spell list or get him to play an archetype, like only take destruction spells or fire spells or the hell ever (that's why they exist in the first place, to streamline decisions).

Finally, get used to the idea that--unless he really likes your story-telling and suddenly awakens to a love for narrative-focus--you're going to be doing a lot of combat. Learn your monster manual and use a DMG to help you build appropriate encounters.
>>
>>44015285
>I'm going to run a game for my 11 year old nephew.
An 11 year old?
Back when I was 16-17 me and my buddies played 2ed D&D.
We mostly played at one of our players houses. Due to his mom being zonked out on Zannies 24/7 and they had a HUGE dining room table that was never used for dining.
He had a 10yo brother that pestered us a lot and wanted to join in.
>Why not let him give it a try?
2 sessions in and he was doing well with a thief.
Had the basics down like Thaco, saving throws and skill checks.
But that was learning via an experienced group.
Honestly though I say use either 3.5 or just go either pick up the D&D Starter Set. It's like 20$.
Or download it off the net.
The Starter Set would probably be better because miniatures, premade maps and whatnot. It'll give a good visual layout that's easy to understand.
Not to mention it's less complex rules wise so it's easy to pick up.
>>
Stealing the thread a moment for meaningless complaining.

Why reincarnation sucks so much? yeah, I know is cheaper, but come on, on top of losing a level (or get-2 to Con) you also turn into another race that is going to mess with your character.
My Human Barbarian/Warblade is now a Spellscale with -2 to Con and penalty XP because neither Barbarian nor Warblade are favored classes for Spellscales. Fuck my luck.

>Inb4 "Why did you accept?"
Campaign homerule, dead don't have a word on resurrection, they can't choose, in fact, they don't have memory of being dead.

Rant off.
>>
>3.5
>pissfinder
>5e
Throw these out. I don't mean throw them out of the running, I mean throw them into the trash after setting them on fire.

Run Dungeon World for your nephew. Become the coolest uncle.
>>
>>44015285
Dungeon World.
Leave D&D and it's ilk with a dozen subsystems aside. Unless the lad has an interest in needlessly obscure and bizarre math.
>>
>>44017247
>needlessly obscure and bizarre maths

Yeah can't expect basic arithmetic from today's kids.
>>
Honestly I have more fun RPing in skyrim than I do in my typical D&D games.

Just mod the shit out of their skyrim and set them loose.
>>
Unlike Skyrim, make certain channels become closed to him, or very difficult to reopen, depending on what he chooses.

You want to be a grand Necromancer? Great, but know that members of your Paladin guild will be very suspicious of you from now on.
>>
>>44017901
To what end?

If the kid wants to be a necromancer while holding the title of the holly light let him as long as he is willing to put the time and effort into it. Just make sure he keeps it on the down low.

Mental compartmentation for the win.
>>
The kid will probably have issues with a class based system if they're coming from skyrim.
>>
>>44018143
That's what I mean.

It's okay to be both, even with the same character if you feel they can manage it. I just mean try to tone down things like in skyrim, where you can be the Grand Werewolf Nightingale Cannibal Dark Leader of The Companions Thieves Magician.
>>
Why does no one ever recommend 4e when its the superior d20, is easy, bears a resemblance to videogames, is highly malleable and even has character sheets and mods made for children?
>>
>>44015285
I thought D&D was for little girls?
>>
>>44018394
Okay that's fair. I'm just big believer not 'locking players' into a certain route at least without not clear warning.

>Well anon your hair is some and bravery would make you the perfect paladin of our holly order.... shame you have been the irredeemable corrupted By wedding that fair ghost maiden... now die you fiend!
>>
>>44018408
They used to before 5e came out
>>
>>44015567
More flexible than Dungeon World, it's plain freeform
>>
>>44015397
That is literally the fucking opposite of what you should do.
He wants something that's EASY to teach to people.

So you start with DW, move to 13th Age, do 5th edition, and then burn your Pathfinder and 3.5 books so you don't upset them because now their favorite class is dog shit and requires high school level math to minmax into being passable.
>>
>>44015285
UESRPG. If he wants to play Skyrim, make him play the tabletop version of Morrowind
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.