[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best kind of orc?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 37
File: history-of-the-orcs_v2.jpg (405 KB, 1800x760) Image search: [Google]
history-of-the-orcs_v2.jpg
405 KB, 1800x760
What is the best kind of orc?
>>
As a rule of thumb, I dislike ugly races unless they are played against type (being the good guys basically) so I prefer the more modern type of orc, as opposed to the one that looks like a rounded Neanderthal with leprosy or a pigman. Something like Elder Scrolls orcs, or the ones from the recent Hobbit movies.

Its very easy to play a character who slaughters things that look like they would be judged last in a beauty competition within the deepest bowels of hell, but killing something a lot more closer to you, a lot more human, is hard, and therefore more interesting.
>>
>>44009325

Ugh.
>>
>>44009248
They literally get better and better, but the last two are a tie.

My favorite are Orks.
>>
-Tall
-Muscular
-Amazonian females and conan-esque males
>>
More Shadowrun, less WoW/WHFB
>>
>>44009325
Ugly fag detected
>>
>>44009364

Ly.
>>
>>44009248
I like Tolkien's orcs, at least visually. I'm more a fan of the stunted, creepy crawly fuckers. I prefer them to be their own race, though. And the industrious aspect is interesting, too. I'd like to see them as competitors to humanity in something.
>>
i dont know what i do like but i dont like rapey orks

or more acuratly its the whole most half orks are born of rape thing i hate my games tend to have a large amount of rape in them but my half orks are never rape babys.

i suppose i like my orcs to be green
>>
>>44009248
>in game sprites\models up to Dark Messiah
>concept art for V and VI
ok
>>
>>44010315
that is a little odd yeah
>>
>>44009248
Ah Dark Messiah Orcs.

>'Stranger go no further!'
>>
File: 1446910488631.jpg (2 MB, 5120x2128) Image search: [Google]
1446910488631.jpg
2 MB, 5120x2128
>>44009248
I hate to admit it, but I actually have a soft spot for the Warcraft orc design.

except for pierced nipples/tusks, I have to draw the fucking line somewhere
>>
File: orc bear.png (1 MB, 900x1332) Image search: [Google]
orc bear.png
1 MB, 900x1332
>How do I like my orcs
Sexy
>>
File: Orc.jpg (112 KB, 400x548) Image search: [Google]
Orc.jpg
112 KB, 400x548
>>44012366
>>44009248
Likewise. I like the DnD 3E and Warcraft Orcs. I tend to have them savage brutes and raiders, usually CE and/or CN in nature.
>>
Best Orc is the one that has the highest comparable strength in relation to the other races in the setting. So, if Average Orc in setting A has three times the strength as the baseline, but Average Orc in setting B has four times the strength as the baseline, setting B Orc is best Orc.
>>
>>44009248
Just for the sake of completeness let me put it here that in the newest Heroes of Might and Magic lore orcs are actually human slaves/convicts that the wizards of the Academy faction used for experimentation with demon blood to create their army to win a war against demons, they literally bought/traded thousand upon thousands of them and put them through magical experiments to make them into warriors, thus goblins, orcs and cyclopses were created. Orcs generally have weird body deformities like an extra arm or monstrous fingers etc.

After the war they fought was barely won the orcs were instituted as slaves working in mines and shit treated as rejects of an experiment that is no longer needed of course they rebelled and escaped

Then the mages went, well fuck that, let's something else so then they decided to create beastmen instead of orcs by merging the bodies of animals and the same convicts/slaves so they created harpies, centaurs, minotaurs, Raksasa etc.

However that didn't go to well either as the orcs came back to free the slaves and thus most beastmen joined them, notably the Raksasa didn't.

After that the mages really got fed up an decided to make an army that just doesn't have free will and resorted to making constructs golems, gargoyles, titans etc. which cannot rebel and feel no pain or remorse and cannot be stopped unless killed.

In the end orcs moved to become traveling barbarians in the most inhospitable places of the world like deserts and jungles.
>>
>>44009678
This
>>
>>44009940

I kind of like the creepy crawly style too, but its hard to see them as being competitors to humanity since they are usually being shown as being shitty, stupid, or weak. Or too chaotic to band together.

What special things do they even do to make themselves competitive?
>>
They are not!orcs that have just come to the southwester mountains in my primitive setting.
They are white, grey,black or blue and any shade in between. They have small heads with mouths that stretch nearly from ear to ear, small noses and ears and small eyes. They aren't very large but are still stronger than most humans and are one of the most intellegent races. They have domesticated various animals and have a culture simialr to the Andean civilizations. Their fighting style usually involves slings, bolos, nets and for up close stone weapons(knives, axes, hammers etc).
>>
>>44009248
The orcs in heroes 5 and dark messiah were fantastic. I enjoyed that they were essentially the good guys of the setting without turning into hippy noble savage types. They were doing the right thing for the world and generally being following mythic ideals of heroism, but that didn't make them any less brutal.
>>
40k, but from OP's picture, HOMMIII.
>>
>>44009248
HoM&M2

Regardless of what you're comparing between them, HoM&M2 wins.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 447x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 447x432
>>44016278
>bolos
A sensible choice to support the sling-and-net guys, I'd say.
>>
>>44009248
Bird-like, and called "Auks" instead of Orcs.
>>
Gork and Mork are ashamed of this thread. Do you guys hate fun?
>>
File: +20 Boots.jpg (209 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
+20 Boots.jpg
209 KB, 1280x1024
>>44011343
>Kicking intensifies
>>
File: raaaaaaa.jpg (8 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
raaaaaaa.jpg
8 KB, 320x180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
These
>>
>>44015026
Fucking wizards.
>>
>>44009822
epic post, my meme /b/rother

upvoted
>>
Why are orcs green?

...photosyntesis?
>>
>>44016759
Nice one lad
>>
File: Mordu-Warlord-02.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1603) Image search: [Google]
Mordu-Warlord-02.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1603
I'm fond of warcraft orcs, but as of recent have also found an attraction to the orcs depicted in one of the recent MTG blocks.
The orcs of Tarkir are a little more primal and non-humanoid looking but not enough to tie them down, they feel quite unique in appearance. I'm digging their manes and tufts of fur too.
>>
>>44009940
Tolkien orcs is how I make Hobgoblins, Orcs I borrow a lot from TES and Gorillas, with some french comics for inspiriation thrown here and there.
>>44016155
Make them fascist instead of so chaotic, perhaps even add some myths and stuff, I like to add little touch like fertility cults for goblinoids. But well I use goblinoids as tipical evil mage henchmen because they have low willpower and are easy to goad or hire for nefarious plots.
>>
>>44009325
You make me sad.
I bet you fucking swoon at elven culture too.
>>
>>44017635
Fuck you, i'll have racism double standards if I want.
>>
>>44009325
I don't mind "ugly" races, but when their racial shtick is "ugly and primitive and savage warriors" it falls flat for me.

You're telling me every orc everywhere is hideous and scarred and innately hyper-violent and they all wear bones on their dicks and shit? And that's it?
>>
>>44017635
>/b/
>upvotes
>newfag trying this hard to fit in
>>
>>44017391
I, too, enjoy it when DMs are able to do a song and dance for me.
>>
>>44016155
Traditional fantasy orcs have an insanely high birth rate and are not any less innately intelligent than humans, they're just in a bad spot- the human/elf/dwarf/halflings have all taken the good overland areas and band together to shove the orcs into caves. There's not enough food in caves, or space, so orcs are constantly butting heads with the "civilized" races who refuse to welcome them into society and who insist that they were there first so this land belongs to them and just because the orcs are starving in bleak caves doesn't mean that they should change anything!

So the orcs are pissed off and hungry, for generations. Dozens of generations of lean, angry, violent warriors who teach their children to be lean and angry, and to watch the fat weaklings in the cities, for one day all land will belong to the orcs...
>>
I Like Pig Orks myself.
I think they have the superior, more interesting design all together.
They are what they are like that, not some "misunderstood green muscular human."
That said, I hate green orks, except 40K orks.

Let's not even mention that in pig/hog form the tusks makes more sense as well.
>>
>>44009248
Never cared for orcs outside Tolkien. They make good mooks, though. UbiOrcs are fucking retarded, down there with Blizzard WC3 and onward. "Noble mistreated savage" is such a shitty concept. Mistreated savage? Sure, why not? But don't give me that noble shit, brutal savage warriors are not noble, no matter if they've been mistreated or not. If they've been mistreated, all the more reason for them not to be noble. Plenty of tribal people have been "noble" in that combat's a ritualized (but dangerous) affair with champions deciding the outcome through dueling, but they've been small dirt tribes who simply wouldn't survive if they didn't co-exist like that.
>>
>>44017734
Exactly.
That's why Pig Orks are the best
>Ugly
>Actually, more disgusting than ugly
>Hits like a truck
>Quantity over quality
>Rapes Elf women

the best kind
>>
>>44017734
>What is Flower Wars
>>
>Love ugly, menacing orcs and goblins
>Also love muscle-girls and shortstacks variant
Suffering.
>>
>>44017727
They are less intelligent, DnD orcs for example have a malus of -4 int, and in lots of other media they live in primitive societies or they are too violent and don't know how to control themselves so no, violent grunts or noble savages is the tipical way to portray orcs, or as fetish fuel for Japs.
>>
>>44017803
The Aztec weren't tribals, they had cities and standing armies. It's only they way of making warfare was retarded for European standards than they were wrecked so hard, plus steel weapons and armors plus horses are OP as fuck.
>>
>>44015026
"A wizard did it" that isn't a cop-out. Nice.
>>
>>44009325
I want to agree, but if you think the Hobbit movie orcs were well done I really can't
>>
>>44011343
>Abomination!
>Aratroooooooook!
>>
File: 1444176831973.jpg (174 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1444176831973.jpg
174 KB, 600x800
>>44017841
>only tiny tribes fought ritualized combat
>the Aztecs where an empire not a tribe, so I'm still correct.

Also, Warcraft is aiming for PG13, of course they're not going to include rape and killing of civilians and other common aspects of actual warfare.
>>
>>44017883
>average wc3 match starts with killing the non-aggressive natives, looting their stuff, hiring local mercenaries, exploiting the ressources
>after you defeat the enemy army you march into the enemy base, burn all their farms, kill all their helpless fleeing workers
dunno warcraft is a nice excercise in imperialism
>>
>>44017803
Came about as a result of famine, to maintain combat readiness while keep neighbors down without draining too many of the scarce resources, while also appeasing gods and people. More focus on elite noble warrior class as well. Ritualized with champions for the sake of survival, basically.
>>
>>44017803
Hardly noble. The flower wars were fought for the express purpose of capturing vast quantities of prisoners of war, so that you'd have a steady supply of people to sacrifice to the gods. It was ritualised barbarism.

I think anon was talking about those African tribes that get together every now and then to have their champions beat each other with sticks, like these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdlz55Aaho
>>
>>44009248
I prefer "Hackson-Trilogy-Uruk-Hai" Orcs, visually, and their mentality somewhere around Azog and his warband in "the Hobbit" trilogy.

In mythology, Orcs are vaguely related to the Thyrs, which are a breed of giants. I actually liked this idea so much that I made Orcs an offshoot breed of half-giant humans. Depending on what paternal genes are more dominant, they're either bulking, towering stronkmeats or more wiry raptors, thus leading to more variety in appearance and character.
>>
File: 1432245391765.png (207 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
1432245391765.png
207 KB, 600x453
>>44017916
Especially undead
>Kill everyone and take their shit
>everyone feels guilty in the future
>you dont give a shit because your rich

Literally genocide the campaign.
>>
>>44016278
My last setting just had orcs as a tribal name for a bunch of wilder elf kingdoms who were actively raiding against humans (initially encroaching tribes, then all humans for loot and claimed revenge, then it just became the culture)
>>
>>44009248
Weren't the M&M 6 monster ogre, not orcs?
>>
>>44009248
Personally, I like orcs that molest elves.
>>
>>44009248
I like most of them. The only orc I could never tolerate are pig orcs.
>>
>>44012366
>Pierced tusks
This is a blue board, anon.
>>
File: orc.gif (128 KB, 424x424) Image search: [Google]
orc.gif
128 KB, 424x424
I'm fond of the Orcs from the Peter Jackson movies. Yes, including the Hobbit. They looked good, shame the same can't be said about the movies themselves.
>>
>>44020885
Though, to clarify, I prefer the less stylized LotR ones.
>>
File: BestOrc.png (49 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
BestOrc.png
49 KB, 1152x648
>>44009248
>>
>>44016759
How the fuck does a Bolo turn with a giant tread right down its middle.
>>
>>44009325
>Like Elder Scrolls Orcs
You mean ugly elves?
Just like everything that isn't a furry or a human in that series?
Fuck that generalized for the sake of mechanics and bland story bullshit, go back to /vg/.
>>
File: pig_faced_orcs.jpg (86 KB, 1000x476) Image search: [Google]
pig_faced_orcs.jpg
86 KB, 1000x476
I prefer Pig Orcs.
>>
>>44020885
The hobbit ones were way to big, the battle of the five armies was the major let down ever too for me, when the fuck huge troll appeared it shatered the last hope I had for the movies. Than they let out so many parts (unless they put them in extended) like the Throin funeral and all that was the last thing I could tolerate. Fucking hack, he is the new Spielberg.
>>
Honestly, if we're talking Might and Magic, Dark Messiah's orcs were pretty much spot-on in what I want.

Not too crazy.

Not too real.

Just right.
>>
>>44021340
At least he's depressed about they turned out. Like if you look at pictures of him he looks fucking destroyed during filming and post production.

So hopefully he'll go back to his roots with some lower budget stuff soon.
>>
File: 1449346978537.jpg (243 KB, 800x1063) Image search: [Google]
1449346978537.jpg
243 KB, 800x1063
>>44009248
I prefer Tolkien's orcs with Jackson's aesthetic design (LOTR movies, not Hobbit movies).

I based my own orcs off of Tolkien's.

The first orcs were male elves that were tortured to the point where their souls left their bodies, but they remained alive. This left a soulless husk. Female elves never did survive the process.

These male-only "dark" elves then bred with non-orcs (elves, humans, dwarves, trolls) via rape. The products of such defiled unions were orcs, a race of ugly, misshapen, sociopathic rape machines whose only desires are to kill, fuck, and eat. They can only propagate through the rape of other races' females, and their offspring is nearly always a fullblooded orc male. Half orcs don't exist.

About 1% of the time, the union will result in a "changeling". A changeling looks like its mother's race, and while orcs have sociopathic tendencies, changelings have psychopathic tendencies and are masters of infiltrating civilized society. When a changeling is born, the father usually makes sure it finds its way into a city or town so it can grow up and fuck things up from the inside.

My orcs are savage and cruel, but not stupid at all. They survive in warbands led by a warchief. They raid towns and villages for supplies, cannibalize the men and the children, and kidnap the women to turn into slave "wives".

Being soulless, they're incapable of magic. They make up for this by focusing on the martial skills.
>>
>>44009248

Warhams ork is best ork. Whimsical and brutish, callous and good-humoured, like a big dumb psychopathic schoolboy.
>>
>>44021375
I would say this is magical realm, except it's pretty much what I'd imagine legitimately evil orcs to be as well.
>>
File: neanderthal_with_spear.jpg (50 KB, 401x600) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal_with_spear.jpg
50 KB, 401x600
Evil bigfoot.
>>
>>44017537
In Warcraft, orcs are originally brown. A large group of them drank demon blood and turned all rage-red for a while. Then they sort of repented, but they turned back to green instead of brown. They passed this on to their children as well.

So, orcs are green because they have the taint of demon blood.

Idk why 40k orcs are green. Something about them being fungus monsters I think. You might be on to something with your photosynthesis theory.

DnD orcs are sometimes kind of green, because the writers took a middle road between Tolkien bad guy orcs and Warcraft noble savage orcs. Probably the least original and least interesting orcs in fiction.
>>
I like proportions on Lineage orcs inbefore fanservice fap material. However, some art from Warcraft series is also good.
>>
>>44017732
I like the idea of pig-noses and tusks, but Japanese Porks are fucking terrible looking.
They either look like furries with fatrolls or Alf, and they aren't even grey, green, or other unnatural colors.
They literally exist just to rape things.

I'm not big on WoW's overall design, but I love their ridiculously bulky proportions. Just wish the women were more 'refrigerator' instead of 'green elf.'
>>
>>44019737
I think you're right. You had goblins at low levels, in New Sorpigal and around Castle Ironfist, and then ogres around, where as it, Blackhaven? A fortress or something?
>>
>>44021526
>>44017732

Pig-men make great antagonists, no-one sexualises pigs (well okay hardly anyone does) which is the usual problem with rapey orks. Fighting off a rapey army of pig-men is likely to be taken much more seriously by your average player than if you go the "green-skinned musclemen" approach.
>>
>>44021564
No one takes Porks seriously, the puns about Beacon are never ending.
>>
>>44021580

Sure, but there's no misplaced sympathy for them either. People these days expect you to present orks as judged unfairly but no-one bats an eye at genociding a race of pig-men.
>>
>>44021564
Okay,
You wouldn't be phased at all if at the table, the GM says something to the degree of:
>So you find the remnants of the villages sacked by the orcish horde,
blood and semen stain the ground where the orcs had their way with all the peasant women.
>A dead orc lies before you, his tan skin glistening with sex sweat and his head in the likeness of a pig.
>I you want to fight these orcs, I highly suggest the sorceress should wear more concealing clothing, you don't want to be raped do you?
>>
>>44021604
You could usee broos for that, more disgustin or fun to smite beastie is hard to find.
>>
>>44017279
what is this game???
>>
>>44021390
I know it seems kind of realmy, but I swear it's not.

I wanted to design them to be as killable as possible. They're absolutely irredeemable. The only good orc is a dead orc sort of mentality. There's already a lot of moral gray area in the campaign because of a lot of human on human conflicts, so I wanted to give my players something to kill that they couldn't possibly feel bad about.
>>
>>44021657
I would ask how concealing clothing would protect the sorceress from being raped if she was captured.
>>
>>44009248

Overall I really came to dislike Warcraft Orcs. They came to represent a perfect example of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Blizz wanted them to be violent and warlike but also still the franchise's good guys so we got a confused mess of tropes aggregating into a race whose main defining trait was its members' skills at dodging karma.

But that said, I absolutely loved the Iron Horde orcs. They felt to me what the Orcs should have been. Throwing all that noble savage spiritual good guy garbage out the window and turning them into violent jackboots with a shitload of scary, metal industry tech and given some of the most awesome theme music the game had ever produced (which is saying a lot for a Blizz game). Shame they were written to be such bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroaLAbltxg
>>
File: 1411089521096.png (529 KB, 862x1200) Image search: [Google]
1411089521096.png
529 KB, 862x1200
I like my orcs nice and my elves lewd
>>
>>44021839
Aren't they a total failure?
>>
>>44014314

When I saw dnd orcs, and read how they had lupine features. I started doing wolf imagery for them. Did the typical warg riding and such, had the god bless the great champions with lycanthropy and stuff.

It actually ended up working well when I gave elves a white stag god. To create more rivalry between orcs and elves I gave the elves as much deer imagery as I the orcs had wolf.
>>
>>44021941

They were, and their entire role in the story was just one big bait and switch.

It was a little disillusioning. This was the first time since Wrath a clear and unambiguous antagonistic faction was established from the beginning and all of the leveling stuff was meant to point out how huge of a threat these guys were supposed to be.
>>
>>44022098
That sucks, I stoped playing WoW after the first expansion, and I see they only boggled the lore more. My prefered part were the trolls and I seen they didn't do very well.
>>
>>44021698
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
>>
How does orc breed?
>>
File: 1448946663694.jpg (150 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
1448946663694.jpg
150 KB, 786x1017
>>44009248
Dead and/or emasculated.
>>
>>44023465

According to Midnight (a 3.5 supplement about a dark god overrunning the world) they reproduce sexually. Female children are seperated and the vast majority of them are sterilized and used as domestic slaves and midwives. Those who aren't sterilized are groomed to be breeders. Male children that aren't killed outright are dumped in a pit. Only a fraction survive, and only a fraction of those are actually fit for combat. And of those there's only a small percentage that are deemed fit to reproduce, and are only allowed to do so once before being sent off to die in the war.

Despite the obvious numbers problems this practice presents, orcs are still mostly used as disposable cannon fodder in a campaign meant to subjugate an entire continent.
>>
>>44023465
Most fictions have them reproduce sexually the same as humans do, and they can often interbreed with humans, an idea that orginated with Tolkien.

I prefer my orcs to be all males that can only reproduce by enslaving other races' women for breeding purposes. It makes them more evil and killable. Obviously, they have to breed true to propagate the orc race.

It's hard to justify killing a pregnant orc lady. It's easy to justify killing an evil orc rapist.
>>
>>44017279
>>44011343
>>44021698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E
>>
I like em green because greenskins is a great slur to throw around.
>>
Physically, my Orcs are probably closest to WarCraft Orcs. Culturally, they're a seafaring race who are some of the more prolific merchants in the world.
>>
>>44009248
1996 to 1999 is best
>>
>>44009248
Well I have the Orcs in my head to essentially be the Elf equivalent of a Tiefling. They are as clever as elves, and are much hardier and stronger. However they are weaker willed, less deft and easier to control. Essentially equaling out at +2 STR +2 CON -2 WIS -2 CHA. They have a much stronger impulse to murder the shit out of things compared to Tieflings, yet they only do about as much raping and pillaging as humans do. Because of this, they tend to not form societies, insomuch as they live in ghettos or in the wilds with animals.
>>
>>44009248
dead ones.
>>
>>44022032
that's pretty awesome
>>
>"orcs"
>basically Mesoamericans in terms of looks and dress
>worship the Eternal Language (= math)
>decked out in bone/bronze bling (with dimple piercings that look like tusks if you squint a little)
>tatooed from the neck upwards (and sometimes downwards too)
>type and arrangement of tatoos indicate rank, caste, and honors received in their lifetime
>the inks used for most of the tatoos are a greenish black
>fully decked out priest looks like a green skinned mother fucker with tusks and at least three skulls around their neck

>tfw neigboring people think you're savage when you spend half your day thinking about muh mathematical theorems
>>
>>44021382
>This
40K ORKS IS DA BEST! DEY'S DA GREENEST, DA STRONGEST, DA SHOOTIEST, DA MEANEST, GOT DA BEST KULTURE, DA FLASHIEST BITS, AND DA BEST WARCRY
WAAAAAAAAAAGHDAKKADAKKADAKKA!!!!!
>>
>>44028068
>autizm
>>
File: [lo-fi mocking laughter].png (110 KB, 560x280) Image search: [Google]
[lo-fi mocking laughter].png
110 KB, 560x280
>>44009248
pig orc best orc

the end
>>
>>44023597
Then how are there still orcs if 9/10ths of the males ever breed, and 9/10ths of the females are stealized?
>>
>>44028208
Where does Pig-orcs come from ?
>>
>>44028458
pige butt
>>
>>44021505
>Idk why 40k orcs are green. Something about them being fungus monsters I think. You might be on to something with your photosynthesis theory.
correct, Orks were made to be living fungus, they even reproduce via spores that emit from dead bodies
>>
dead ones

/thread
>>
>>44017851
Maybe he's one of those people who wanted to fuck the albino
>>
>God Tier- Pig-faced orcs
>High Tier- Orks

>Forgettable tier- everything else
>>
>>44009248
I like a mix of green elf orc and pig orc. So ideally green with a pig snout and tusk, no real preference for elf ears or pig ears.

They can be toned, fat, or strong fat, but but being tall and some form of bulky is a necessity.
>>
>>44028458
p-orks. Orcs are mythological creatures from ireland/scotland. They are mostly portrayed as pig dudes.
>>
>>44009248
Highly intelligent super-soldier savants that were made by a Russian-like empire by modifying humans.
>>
>>44021375
>>44021739
I like this, and I like your reasoning. It makes them nice and irredeemable without being too over-the-top grimdark... Well, depending on your tastes. I mean, I like WoD and 40k, so my threshold is probably higher than most non-fa/tg/uys'.
>>
I like my orcs taller than humans, and a sort of lean bulk- less Warcraft more, say, wolves. Strong, visibly so, but mostly hard. Culturally they tend to be tribal and dim witted, but less because of actually being stupid and more because they are instinctive, hot blooded, and extremely aggressive, so they spend a lot more time acting than thinking. It doesn't help that they worship a xenophobe god whose children include the God of Stupidity and Brute Violence. They're generally portrayed as not being inherently evil, but instead being trapped by a combination of their own aggression and short sightedness, and the vicious control of Gruumsh, who tolerates little deviation from his vision of a "perfect" society of hardened, murderous raiders who disdain building. Many do try and expand out, but they get forced back on path by cries of "HERESY!" and murder. This has created a long lasting, marginalized, and oddly rigid society of nomadic tribal warbands that are awful to live anywhere near. The closest thing to "good" orcs are groups of warriors or even whole tribes who shake tradition by becoming mercenaries. They generally have to moderate their xenophobia, and their courage in battle appeases Gruumsh to allow it, if they're careful. So they wind up being almost tolerable to be around, and usually far wealthier than their tribal relatives... though too much success brings the wrath of Old One Eye, who hates softness with a literally holy passion.

tldr orcs are super aggressive and have a cunt god
>>
>>44009248
Plucky underdogs just doing their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1x4JkZTfPs
>>
As long as they aren't magical realm rape monsters I don't really care.
>>
>>44032188
In one setting a half orc hero, during a disaster, saved Pelor and then fought his way into Gruumsh's realm to get him to stop having the local orc populations swarm the local tribal humans (disaster involved the sun going out, so the night capable orcs suddenly gained a huge advantage).

Gruumsh beat the shit out of him once he got that far, but he managed to say something (what he never said) to convince Gruumsh that his rampant loathing of all non-orcs was wrong, and that strength could be found in any race (except elves, fuck them, the local elves were huge cocks anyway). Gruumsh agreed, and moderated, and in setting is now just a really tempestuous god of strength and conquest.

Said hero went back home after, unified all the human and orc tribes, and melded them into one culture. Then he died/ascended into herogodhood and his kingdom fell apart. The orcs and humans are still one group though, and he's their cultural god. The two groups maintain some difference and cultural gaps, but it's more the diff. between Yankees and Texans now. And about a third of the population is "half" (really anything from 20-80 percent) orc.
>>
>>44017841
>It's only they way of making warfare was retarded for European standards than they were wrecked so hard, plus steel weapons and armors plus horses are OP as fuck.
Well, it's really more that literally everyone that wasn't the aztecs hated the aztecs, so the moment anyone else showed up everywent "hey are you here to kick aztec ass? we're 100% behind you" and by the time they actually reached the aztecs the spanish were vastly outnumbered by native allies.
>>
File: orc2.jpg (689 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
orc2.jpg
689 KB, 1920x1080
Like this
>>
The pureblooded ruling class over a warrior society of half-orcs and human raiders.
>>
File: tumblr_no56sougvV1r0uumto4_500.png (269 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no56sougvV1r0uumto4_500.png
269 KB, 500x532
>>44014297
Amen to that.
>>
File: 1427882086476.jpg (139 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1427882086476.jpg
139 KB, 750x1000
>>44021839
>Warcraft
I disagree with this. I was a huge fan of the Warcraft orc's storyline, pre-Garrosh. They actually had some real depth to their character, rather than being generic savage bad dudes. They had risen up from their savage background to start to find their own identity as a civilization, with Thrall leading the way in an uncertain and alien world. It was never a smooth transition, with the species having an established history of warlike aggression, but Thrall and most of the grizzled, worn-out veterans of the First War were determined to settle their species down and actually make something of themselves.

It's a far more interesting storyline than what they did with Garrosh's horde, or the Iron Horde orcs. Those were just generic, mindless killers and pillager. It's been done before, and was never interesting. That said though the character design in WoD was fantastic
>>
>>44017684
epic /b/ meme, /v/ro
>>
>>44022098
>>44021839
That's because Chris Metzen went from being one of the designers and artists to Blizzard's top dog for Warcraft story and has to inject all his orc wank into the story.
I liked the Warcraft orcs at first when a good orc was the exception, not the rule and Thrall's quest in WC3 was a compelling one because he was fighting against the nature of the orcs he was saving.
Now he's Green Jesus and the Orcs are all dundu nuffins and that's even being worked into the fucking movie.
Fuck Metzen and fuck his Nu-orcs.
>>
>>44032772
>Orcs are all dundu nuffin

oh i see, it's because you're /pol/
>>
>>44032798
I despise /pol/, but the phrase is useful to describe Blizzard's attempt to retcon and whitewash the Orc's history.
>>
>>44017679
Only the boss wears bones on his dick.
>>
I like all orcs, both types of Warhammer Greenskins, Tolkein orcs, Elderscrolls orcs, Lineage Orcs. I did like Warcraft orcs, but like everything Warcraft I'm fed up with them. Fucking hate pig orcs except for >>44020763
good shit for its genre.
>>
>>44032844
I don't mind retconning when it's with the intent of giving one aspect of the lore some more depth. I don't know why the idea is so offensive to some people that orcs might culturally develop themselves as a species and as a civilization, that's what civilizations have a tendency to do.

Let's face it, in the old pre-WC3 lore the orcs existed entirely as a big dumb enemy for the good guys to kill. That's fine, but incredibly tropey and uninteresting as a device.
>>
>>44033000
Warcraft three orcs were good. All the shit that's going on in WOW disenfranchised me hard.
>>
Depends on the medium, I guess. Tolkien's orcs worked well for Tolkien's world, and so on. During one of my world building sessions, I had an idea for the orcs being a tribal grassland people, inspired more by Predator than your conventional orc as far as body structure goes. They're definitely bigger and stronger than humans, but they're not walking biceps. Facially they were a cross between WC orcs and boars.

I liked them.
>>
>>44032798
Man cmon its a perfect way to describe current Warcraft Orcs. Garrosh nukes Theremore and Thrall doesn't step in. Jaina amplifys her magic to summon a massive tsunami to put Orgrimmar under water and Thrall stops her.
Not because of his duty to the Horde or such but because of the amount of lives that would be lost.
It was a minority of Orcs that went against Garrosh in the Seige of Orgrimmar not the majority.
The only way to salvage the future of the Orcs would be for Eitrigg or Saurfang to somehow become warchief, seeing as they seem to be the only Orcs that aren't warmongering idiots. Thrall isn't really alive anymore, it's just Metzen wearing his skin.
>>
>>44021518
female orc by wei is my favourite piece of blizzard art i will see if i can find a picture of it
>>
>>44021746
indeed i doubt the rapey orks care what your wearing
>>
>>44018650
Wait source?

My research in mythology orcs revealed them to a be type of Fey and another was a kind of undead warrior. I never run into anything remotely like what you found so I find myself quite curious.
>>
>>44021840
dident they make a sequel to that i still need to read it
>>
File: CharrConcept_t.jpg (99 KB, 475x312) Image search: [Google]
CharrConcept_t.jpg
99 KB, 475x312
Dark Messiah Orc look with GW2 Charr hat, they have been steamrolling everybody in their part of the world. One of my players thought they were a bit like the Qunari from dragon age but thats all because I made them dislike magic and use tech.
>>
>>44021518
That's just a green, muscular elf.
>>
>>44020763
Where is that from?
>>
>>44017573
Warcraft has the best version of races. Their Orcs are badass. Goblins are clever, and Trolls aren't giant retards
>>
>>44033681
>tfw Metzen even voices Thrall
>tfw he's really bad at it
>>
File: 1449393920388.gif (561 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1449393920388.gif
561 KB, 625x626
>>44009325
>>
>>44035984
Japan.
>>
>>44032353
Those native allies were wrecked after fighting the Spaniards during four days (and some night atacks) at first the Txacalans tought the spaniards were allied with the Aztecs and with they otumba cronies tried to smash them with they vast number (they boasted to be able to put at war 100.000 warriors, probably all the fighting age males). Because they tactics than were like the aztecs and Cortez leting the most experienced soldiers lead and using the terrain at they advantage they only lost one men and a horse the first day (after his injuries and the horse had to be sacrificied, promptly buried in a house to don't let the Tlaxcalans see his dead) while the Tlaxcalans counted they dead for the hundreds.
>>
>>44033681
the only way to salvage the future of the orcs is to remove them from our clay, and kick the infestation to another fucking planet
>>
>>44035757
As I said, it's a vague relation. They're mentioned as "Orcneas" in the same line as "Thyrs" and "Heldeofol" in the Beowulf-saga from where Tolkien presumably took the name "Orcs".

Etymologically, "Orcneas" does indeed translate to "dead body" or "underworld body" of sorts. I doubt that a literal translation would be helpful, though, in discerning a clear-cut shape of the orcish origin.

Thinking about it now, Orcs or Orcneas being a type of fey doesn't necessarily go against a relation to giants as there's such a wide variety of them that some of them could very well be interpreted as fey, being just as outlandish a concept to humans.

Generally speaking, Orc(nea)s are ebul creatures that associate with hellish devilcreatures and Giantbreeds. That's what I got from the Beowulf saga. With so much argument between actual experts of mythology on what they are supposed to be, I guess it's nigh impossible for us worldbuilders to stay "true" to the source material, anyway, so I will admit my interpretion might be as false any other's and that it is purely based on my personal preference.

But, as I stated, "I liked this idea so much that it stuck with me".
>>
File: 1448482896356.jpg (23 KB, 282x270) Image search: [Google]
1448482896356.jpg
23 KB, 282x270
>>44018650
>Azog and his warband in "the Hobbit" trilogy.
>that moment when the entire army appears from the earth worm holes
>>
>>44039323
My first tough were about the spice and flow. It ws a total rape of the Hobbit the five armies battle, a fucking shame because the desings of the Dwarf, some orcs, men and stuff were great but the scale and silliness of it all... What a shame.
>>
File: 1438539644844.jpg (87 KB, 736x1259) Image search: [Google]
1438539644844.jpg
87 KB, 736x1259
>>44009248
I like them exterminated
>>
File: lewdelf1.jpg (556 KB, 608x3200) Image search: [Google]
lewdelf1.jpg
556 KB, 608x3200
>>44035864
Yeah I'll post them all if you like.
>>
File: lewdelf2.jpg (663 KB, 608x3200) Image search: [Google]
lewdelf2.jpg
663 KB, 608x3200
>>44040551
>>
File: lewdelf3.png (2 MB, 862x4596) Image search: [Google]
lewdelf3.png
2 MB, 862x4596
>>44040569
Never did find the lewd drow thing that someone did. Involved a mindflayer if anyone remembers.
>>
>>44040551
Dddoooooeeeeiiiitttt
Lewd elf is great
>>
>>44009248
The whole point of orcs is fuck-ugly evil savages.
So pig-orc works best.
And of course if it's a non evil campaign they aren't a playable race.
>>
>>44017727
You just explained how the immigrant crisis is going to play out.
>>
>>44009248
The nonexistant ones, because my setting isn't shit

>>44009364
>I literally can't
>I mean, UGH
>Wow
shut up
>>
File: 1445922833176.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1445922833176.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
Fun that there's a thread about Orcs, I bought WoW just yesterday.
Speaking of WoW..

>Warring tribes and clans just living life
>Gul'dan keks them
>Old Horde slowly kills all sense of culture between the tribes, leaving only the largest few clans a unified culture..
>Old Horde splits
>A few clans are still mildly homogenous, namely Frostwolf and Warsong(kinda)
>Thralls Horde is formed, blending cultures even further, RIP Warsong clan
>Frostwolf Clan officially leaves the Horde
>The Horde is now just one Horde by the time Garrosh becomes Warchief
>Garrosh pushes for Pan-Orcish Fascism
>Fails
>Orcs now a powerless, leaderless minority in their own organizatio
>Gets whipped by Alliance
>Alternate Universe timey wimey bullshit happens, Orcs travel home and see all the glorious culture before they just became "Greenskins"

I feel bad for the average Orc
>>
>>44041177
>I bought WoW just yesterday.

Why would you ever do that?
>>
File: Forsaken_Girl.jpg (306 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
Forsaken_Girl.jpg
306 KB, 849x1200
>>44041226
Nostalgia
>>
>>44040770
Reminder that there is no Charisma penalty for playing an Ilquar Goblin in Dragonlance 2e.

Also reminder that, if you ignore the racial max/min tables, the maximum starting Charisma for an orc in 2e is 16.
>>
>>44041167
>complaining about use of words like ugh, sigh, use of emotes etc.
Careful, I received a warning yesterday for telling some fucktard who wrote out "sigh" to fuck off.
>>
>>44009248
The only good orc is a dead orc.
>>
>>44009248
I liked how Gruumsh made orcs witht the intent of having them be equal with all the other races until they got screwed out of land and instead of backing down he said "fuck your shit" and made orcs eternal warriors so that they could take back what was stolen from them.
I hope Corellon goes blind.
>>
>>44028458
Early D&D art.
>>
>>44040588
http://imgur.com/a/ZZsuO
Don't know about the drow one, but here's the whole series.
>>
>>44039323
>>44039590
Maybe I should've focused down on the first film. Orcs riding on Wargs and fucking up shit, y'know?

But yeah, shit got rilly silly.

Dat battering ram-helmet troll
Dat quadruple-amputee assault troll
>>
>>44041730
Fuck mate, if you're going to make the most obvious, fucking epitome of low-hanging fruit joke, maybe you could take the time to scan the thread and see if someone else all ready made that joke several fucking times. Just do us all that favour, because then you look like less of an idiotic cunt.
>>
>>44042672
I'm sorry, but I've already made some of the most intelligent posts in this thread, and I'm not quite that hung up on whether I will look like an idiotic cunt to a bunch of anonymous strangers (especially not when a prerequisite for becoming upset over it is to be a bit of a moron yourself), that it will affect my behavior. Again, I'm sorry to have to say this, but it appears that on top of me wasting your time, since you had to read what I wrote, you've also gone and wasted your own time by taking the time to write an answer to it.
>>
The only good orc is a dead orc.
>>
File: lotr orc.jpg (26 KB, 466x289) Image search: [Google]
lotr orc.jpg
26 KB, 466x289
I've kind of been wanting to play with Hobgoblins in my setting.

See, I've noticed with my group that most of the players don't like playing short races. With a lone That-Guy-ish exception, most of my players want to be charismatic with their characters, and if not, they want to be strong. In their eyes, halflings, gnomes, and in particular, goblins, don't fit into that criteria.

So, with "DM a party with at least one Goblin PC" on my bucket list for some dumbass reason, I've been looking for ways to incentivise people to play as a non-orc greenskin race.

Hobgoblins seem to fit the bill, being around 5 feet tall, and generally more competent than your standard picky fingered cr1/4 goblin. My mental image is the rank and file orcs from pic related, with proper orcs being closer to the larger uruk.

Don't know how I'll flesh them out fluff-wise, but so far I'm thinking of having them more developed than your standard goblin tribe, maybe having something resembling nobility (though with less wine-drinking political intrigue, and more fist fights and beheadings in you day-to-day Hobgoblin Court)

Input is welcome on this.
>>
>>44042927
>Not industrialized Hobgoblins sitting on a massive coal mine and thus developign a culture as miners and traders with sky-high birth rates to make up for a creature that's worked to death by age 19
>>
>>44042965
...I like it!

There was another part of me that wanted to have Hobgoblins sitting around the technological/cultural level or the early Roman Empire compared to the weird non-specific medieval of all the other races, with a disciplined, permanent military, equipped with mass produced weapons and armor.

Just imagine a Hobgoblin Centurion in full Roman-style plate.

I guess the idea stems from the fact that orcs in LotR were really all about the march of industry destroying nature and all that hippy shit. Mass produced steel weapons, siege engines, fucking gunpowder explosives. Maybe Industrial Orcs'n'Goblins is a logical direction to move towards.
>>
>>44042927
I found Sengoku Jidai aesthethic and part of the culture mixed with Spartans, Dionisians/fertility cults and Thracians to work well for them.
>>44042965
Industrial Hobs are good too, Midnight got some good Hobs too.
>>
>>44042965
Basically Industrialized English, with an emphasis on the Great Man Theory and meritocracy through the only somewhat modern banking system functioning in Hobgob society, allowing poor miners to loan a capital and come up with new contraptions.
>>
the only good orc is a dead orc
>>
>I've already made some of the most intelligent posts in this thread
holy shit the ego. that's not something that anybody gets to say about themself
>>
>>44043861
>>44042735
>>
>>44040588
>>44040569
>>44040551
Best orc. He's a truly great neighbor.
>>
>>44043786
>>44042879
Go fish for replies somewhere else.
>>
>>44043861
To begin with, calling someone an idiot is the same thing, only you're putting someone down instead of lifting yourself up. Either way you make a a comparison in your own favour. You can only be idiotic in comparison to something less idiotic, the implication being that the one doing the putting down is of the latter category. By that same token, you can only be or do something intelligent in comparison to something less intelligent, and this thread is not exactly full of gems. Scroll through it, see for yourself. "Posts" does not equal "self" either. An observation like "I played a smarter game of poker than the rest of you tonight" does not mean you're always a smarter person, because a person's post quality can vary rather wildly, and again it's a matter of what you have to compare yourself against. I never said I was more intelligent, I said I had made some comparatively intelligent posts. I don't doubt anyone's ability to make similarly intelligent posts, I'm just not seeing a post majority of that kind ITT. Making these observations is not egocentric. Could be. But I certainly wouldn't say egocentric in comparison to getting one's kicks by calling others idiotic cunts, not to mention the implication that one should care about some kind of reputation or whatever on 4chan, which certainly betrays some egocentric concern.
>>
>>44028249
Yeah, that first guy got the Midnight orcs so utterly wrong it's beyond belief, what he typed was almost the polar opposite of what orcs are like in that setting.
Orcs in Midnight are an entire race of religious fanatics. The males exist pretty much only to fight for their god and to breed. Their society is matriarchial, and lead by the priestesses. And there's no retarded "durr we purge our weak children" crap going on, the orcs live in territory so hostile that the weak usually die of natural causes.
>>
>>44039590
I mean, you could have had that mindset in the first or second movie, but come on, the third? You knew exactly what to expect.

>>44042079
Oh god forgot about those madmen.
>>
>>44009678
yes
>>
File: 1403584836314.png (995 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
1403584836314.png
995 KB, 1024x600
>>44032365
>dark skin
>underboob
>abs
>wide hips
>>
>>44047865
me to
>>
>>44035531
they used it as the art for one of the hearthstone cards but i cant remember which
>>
>>44009325
You are repulsed by black people but convince yourself you are not racist by intellectualizing it despite your gut reaction whenever you see a black man in a hoodie.
>>
>>44009248
I actually do kind of like Elder Scrolls orcs. I know thats memeshit but I like that style of just regular dudes more or less with a bit of shamanistic or combat oriented culture.
>>
>>44038688

You're confusing the line from Beowulf ("eotnas ond ylfe ond orcneas" = "ettins and elves and demon-corpses") with an Old English glossary that defined "orcneas" using the synonyms "þyrs" (giant/ogre/troll) and "heldeofol" (hell-devil).

It's part and parcel of the fact that prior to Tolkien, supernatural beings were a total hodge-podge. In their earliest mentions, an orc or elf is as much an angry spirit of a dead ancestor, or an animated zombie, as it might be a fairy being or a hulking monster. Germanic elves and celtic trooping fairies (sluagh, daoine sidhe, bean sidhe, the Wild Hunt) run the gamut from fallen gods to undead spirits (draugr) to actual otherworldy fey. Elf, dwarf, drow, and troll are all practically synonyms in Old Norse, and likewise there's confusion between troll, risr, thurse, and ettin/jotun.

The upshot of this is that you can untangle this linguistic clusterfuck pretty much however you want to.

For my campaigns, I term things as follows:

Draugs - dead elves brought back to life wrong by dark powers, they're the primordial ancestors of goblin-kind. Like the ghouls they resemble, they can paralyze with a touch, but they themselves are paralyzed by sunlight. (Inspired by orcneas, draugr, and drows/trows.)

Goblins - twisted descendants of ancient draugs. They tend to stand between elf and dwarf in height. They're basically your standard Tolkien orcs/goblins. Some goblins are created by evil magic, dug out of the mucks and slimes of the earth (it must be earth where elves have been slain and buried), while others are born naturally. The closer a goblin is to a magical origin, generationally, the more soulless and evil (and long-lived) it is. Goblins which come from a long line of naturally born goblins are theoretically capable of developing a conscience (if only their culture facilitated such niceties).

cont'd
>>
Imps - also called "hobgoblins", they're small relatives of goblins. Those that live underground tend to be clever with machines (especially explosives and torture-implements); those that mine are also called kobolds or tommy-knockers. Surface-dwelling hobgoblins are barely-sapient savages living in deep, dark forests ("wood imps").

Ogres - ultimately the result of hybridization between goblins and men, these are your big green muscle-bound Warcraft/Elder Scrolls orc types when they're good, Fighting Uruk-Hai when they're evil. Inspired by the fact that the Germanic word "orc" is etymologically related to the Latinate source of the word "ogre" (Italian urco, Latin Orcus).

Trolls and Ettins - big rock-skinned brutes which are permanently petrified by sunlight. Trolls are the somewhat smaller, more intelligent variety with names and language (like the trio from the Hobbit), while Ettins are the huge dumb and mostly subterranean variety (cave trolls, or Olog-Hai if you like). Originally created by dark magic from corrupted ents, in the same fashion that created draugs and eventually goblins from corrupted or dead elves.
>>
Maltak
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.