[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your reason for not including recreational use of magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 20111118-pissworld.png (226 KB, 750x1091) Image search: [Google]
20111118-pissworld.png
226 KB, 750x1091
What is your reason for not including recreational use of magic in your settings and games, if only in the background? If people could pay for a polymorph, a charisma boost, flight or invisibility, what's stopping them? Why do magic users not learn magic specifically for recreation? Why is there no "adult" magic industry?

I'm going to bed now, /tg/. This is a litmus test. Show me how it looks in the morning,
>>
Because you are not playing FATAL at the moment.

In a more serious note, wizards make items for that, and those who buy them keep them so very well hidden that your average adventurers never find them.
Or they do, and agree to forget they ever did.
>>
>>44008497
Because just learning to use magic takes like 6-20 years and any shit you can do thereafter yer liable to charge through the fucking nose for.

Nobility can afford magic entertainment like but they can also afford to have actual people do shit instead and only one of those is a status symbol
>>
>>44008497
It happens, probably, but not as much as you might expect since magic is kinda dangerous. If you rile up the spirits to get some magic done, and then lose control of them, they tend to get a little... well, mischievous at best, maliciously destructive at worst.
>>
>>44008497
None, I have it.

Because the moon goddess is also the magic goddess, magic users get drunk if they drink the bright blue sea tides which appear on full moons. Some people hate them for it.

There's a kind of crab toxin which provokes alucinations. When taken by sorcerers, those appear as ilusions around him. Fun stuff, if you know the pink elephant of the Far Realm isn't real.

And I once read a story where a not!rockstar bard drank, whored, gambled and experimented all that he could. The NPC which needed some info from him gave him some potions. The guy loved to feel like he had twice the speed (haste), the strentgh of a bull, etc etc.
>>
Personally, it's because the games I am in are all modern tech to future tech. Which has quite a bit of it focused on entertainment.

Now, setting wise, for the average campaign in a fantasy land, the problem is that there isn't an assembly line churning things out. To make any magic item takes power from the maker themself, and it is a long, tedious task for even the simplest of items. Now, I am not going to say they are so much the average person couldn't afford one. The problem, though, is that even a cheap one is still worth possibly years of saving up for it, in a setting where every dime can count for the masses. Now, nobles might. Or they might spend their money on their own safety and more mundane comforts. So in a nutshell, no production lines or cheap methods, it costs a part of a dude's soul, and people don't have money for expensive toys, while the ones who do may have to choose between an extravagance or something of utility. That said, Eberron likely does away with those problems well enough for some things to be pretty common.
>>
>>44008497
i realized i haven't been to gunshow in a while and apparently it ended a year ago.

thanks for making me sad OP.
>>
>>44009395
Oh, also, more often than not magical traditions are steeped in some philosophy/religion or another that holds the practice of their rituals in reverence, and so frown upon over-frivolous use of them. Still not a reason that it doesn't happen at all, though.
>>
File: Divination_Wizards.jpg (40 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
Divination_Wizards.jpg
40 KB, 640x417
>>44008497
Shadowrun mentioned that some magicians work in the film industry as literal special effects wizards. There are a number of spells intended for recreation, including Trid Entertainment, Orgasm, and others. Quite a few magicians work in art, enough to get text in core books. I think there are also magicians who specialize in sex-related magic.

D&D has some spells like Prestidigitation and Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion which are explicitly supposed to be used for entertainment, though the games have such a total focus on combat that these are often forgotten or marginalized. There are a handful of adult-themed splatbooks, the most well-known of which is 3.5's Book of Erotic Fantasy.

>all these other questions
Sometimes they do, but usually magicians are rare enough that there isn't a stable market for it. Also it usually doesn't fit the fiction that fantasy RPGs are based on. Merlin and Dumbledore didn't walk into town selling unicorn rides and their brand of dick enlargement pills.
>>
Our DM/games do allow it, usually for comedy though. Sometimes at the expense of players, sometimes makes the game more interesting.

Usually though it's not without reason.
>>
File: 2K5RGEB[1].jpg (29 KB, 392x384) Image search: [Google]
2K5RGEB[1].jpg
29 KB, 392x384
In traditional DnD, it's a matter of cost. Higher-end spells cost thousands of gold to cast, unless you're a powerful wizard, and powerful wizards...ACTUALLY GET UP TO THIS SORT OF NONSENSE.
>>
>>44014240
Well yeah, powerful wizards do, but they tend to keep it to themselves.
>>
I've just woken up, and I'm actually positively surprised. I was expecting to either wake up to five insults and a dead thread, or a flamewar speckled with deleted posts.
What do you know, /tg/. You've still got it in you.
>>
>>44014240
>Higher-end spells cost thousands of gold to cast

Maybe 5% of them at most.
>>
>>44014240
Polymorph Other costs literally a handful of coccoons. It's probably the one spell with the most abuse potential (which likely is why that saving throw was added - to discourage players from casually throwing it around).
Early D&D (I'm talking 2nd ed here, mainly) still had a lot of the artifacts of being written by neckbeards - hell, even in spite of the Christian moral panic, there are still a lot of spells that are written with a certain audience in mind. With an imagination and a purpose, you can go through the PH and find quite a lot of abuse potential.
The ways to do it were buried in there from the beginning, and while TSR were never really completely open about it, it's still pretty clear that the intent to create recreational magic was there. There's a reason that the Book of Erotic Fantasy didn't actually have to include all that much material of its own, and can instead just give a lot of examples.
>>
>>44013508
You say that orgasm is meant for recreation, I say there's nothing more surprising than a guard having a discussion that's quickly going south, he does not believe anything that he's hearing for why this group of people are where they should not be, then suddenly having an orgasm, and then getting suckerpunched.
>>
>>44016523
I still need to read the book of erotic fantasy I will keep what you said about not auctualy needing to have much material in mind when I get round to it
>>
>>44017242
It adds an Appearance stat and a few spells, together with a bit of fluff, but most of the spells are either explicitly sexual or are buffs to the Appearance stat. It does give a lot of examples with existing spells, though.
>>
>>44008497
Peasants can't afford magic and merchants only exist as stores and quest givers.
>>
>>44008497
Well...

At present, OP, I'm running two campaign settings. In the one, the reason there isn't much in the way of recreational magic is because magic itself is incredibly rare and dangerous - there simply isn't enough of an understanding of it due to most users violently 'YOUR HEAD ASPLODE' all over the place when they fuck up bad enough, and because, again, most users are likely to end up as large red clouds of goo, they don't exactly tend to experiment much on developing new, non-lethal utility magic. But hey, them's the breaks.

My other campaign, however, does in fact have many forms of magic for everyday use, and while most of the best spells remain the purview of the nobility, the aristocracy and others who can afford the ridiculous fees, it's still a poor farmer indeed who can't afford a simple lux-stone to light his hearth, or a pretty little dancing doll for his daughter's birthday.
>>
File: Boys56-Covers_1.jpg (194 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Boys56-Covers_1.jpg
194 KB, 600x900
>>44010024

Tbh it really peetered out some time before the end.

>Not having an adventurer version of Doc Peculiar that the players go to to get dirt on someone.
>>
>>44008497
I do include it
>>
>>44008497
But I do. In fact one of my biggest critiques of the Elder Scrolls games is that everyone and everything is fucking lousy with magic but there are no mundane magical items and spells in use. You'd expect magical hoes and shovels to break the earth up, every guard should be carrying that club of submission from Oblivion, and why in gods name would anyone need torches? Hell, why would getting an arrow in the knee stop you being an adventurer when fucking everyone starts with a healing spell?
>>
>>44008497

Mostly because every usage of magic causes one of a miriad rollable effects, including wiping all life on the planet.
>>
>>44020873
It would take most shops their entire savings of gold to afford a single staff of magelight. Staves and scrolls are prohibitively expensive in Skyrim, when everyone is dirt poor.
>>
>>44020873
Taking arrow to the knee is a turn of phrase for proposing, they got married and settled down.
>>
>>44008497
My setting has no magic at all.
>>
>>44008497
I did in a setting I'm kinda turning into a text game. I called it Wizard's Chess. When you defeat an enemy, they have a chance to drop an insignia, which is basically a little wooden, stone, metal, etc. statue of themselves. You can use this insignia to summon a tiny, incorporeal version of them...

Okay, yeah, it's wargaming inside a game to incentivize fighting enemies instead of taking less violent options. There's a perk that you can take, much later on, that lets you diplomance an insignia out of an enemy, but it's a higher-end perk.

I also do it in other systems, but I had to change the monetary systems in them to make it feasible for a common person to be able to afford it. 1 sp/week for unskilled labor does not leave you with enough money to afford a shapeshifting prostitute, man.
>>
>>44008497
>If people could pay for a polymorph, a charisma boost, flight or invisibility, what's stopping them?
That they can't afford it. For example in 3.5 a labourer would make like 5.2 gold a year and it costs over 100 for a first level spell.
>>
>>44026601
I've always ran the commoner income as a bit higher just cause of how fucked up the D&D economy is
>>
>>44020873
The protagonist is exceptional for having a magical education, and indeed having the magicka to even fuel a spell in the first place.
Most shmucks have a piddling magicka pool and have no clue how to cast a spell or to read an academic text detailing the method.

That said, enchanting should be more ubiquitous. Tools will run out of charge, but clothing doesn't. More stuff you find should be magical but exhausted just because over time a petty soul gem must have been shoved into everything.
Not that it would be adventurer quality, but a pair of boots with 5% cold resistance would be cozy, or a jacket with a couple points of stamina very useful to a laborer in the long run.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.