[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /tg/ Can you suggest any good D&D retro clones where people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 3dices01a.jpg (147 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
3dices01a.jpg
147 KB, 1280x960
Hi /tg/
Can you suggest any good D&D retro clones where people roll for their stats and stuff?
I don't want to play Pathfinder or 3.5 anymore because those games are cancer. And the last time I tried to get people to roll in those games they whined about not being allowed to dump their charisma to 7 for point buy.
>>
File: 1445397244518.png (775 KB, 1080x6540) Image search: [Google]
1445397244518.png
775 KB, 1080x6540
Oh look, baby thinks that he can take a swipe at the 2nd and 3rd most popular games without being called a fag.

Best call your little fag friends to have your little "we hate what's popular!" party in this gay little thread.
>>
I can't remember if DW rolls for stats but Gamma World does
>>
>>44001612

Popular doesn't mean it's good.
McDonalds is popular, is that what you define as quality food?
Well I'll say this, McDonalds menu at least has a reasonable amount of options, where as those two games are so bloated and inflated with unnecessary shit that they belong in a Dobson illustration.
Go cry to someone who cares, your games are shit and you're a faggot for trying to correlate popularity with quality.
>>
>>44001567
Just go all out and download the Rules Cyclopedia and play BECMI. It is my favorite edition.
>>
>>44001612

It's not that everything is shit. It's just that people like you are shit.

>>44001567

People roll for their stats in pretty much every retro-clone of AD&D or OD&D. Play Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry or BFRPG and you'll be a happy man. Labyrinth Lord is the most popular of these, just because it has the most support.

If you need the extra AD&D classes, you're better off going with Labyrinth Lord + Advanced Edition Companion than with OSRIC.

If you want something simple and tactical (i.e. you like moving minis around on a grid), try Retro Phaze.

If you're looking for sci-fi, Whitestar is the popular darling these days (and deservedly so, it's pretty great). Meanwhile, for Fallout/Post-Apoc stuff, Mutant Future is pretty much the only game in town.

Avoid Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
>>
File: crawford bling.jpg (75 KB, 599x798) Image search: [Google]
crawford bling.jpg
75 KB, 599x798
Why bother with a retroclone when you could play 5e?
>>
>>44002086

Even basic 5e suffers from excess complexity relative to your average retro-clone.
>>
>>44001885
>trying to correlate popularity with quality.

You moron, there is a correlation between popularity and quality.

Do you even understand what correlation means? Or does it having more than six letters leave you bewildered and befuddled?

More importantly, those games are critically acclaimed, the 2nd best sellers on the market, and basically trump every other roleplaying game in any quantifiable statistic.

So, that leaves you with your "feelings", which are dismissed by the majority of players, and your little petty complaints that are more often than not simply preference-based gripes or non-system related bitching.

Enjoy your little pity party.
>>
>>44002244
You heard it here from Quadruple Dubs Man. Twilight is better than most movies and books. And The Phantom Menace is the best of the Star Wars movies.
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (21 KB, 640x496) Image search: [Google]
8c3.jpg
21 KB, 640x496
>>44002244

>Thinking the d20 Spergstem is actually good

lol no.

3e is only popular because the OGL caused a little secondary fad/boom in tabletop gaming between 2000 and 2003 that drew a bunch of new players into the hobby.

It's first-timer rose-colored nostalgia glasses, nothing more.
>>
>>44002457
>hey, if I can show outliers to the trend, I can pretend that the trend doesn't exist!

Come back when you've got more than just your wittle feewings and your hopes that saying "but its shit its shit i swear its shit" will be enough to convince the majority of players that the games that have dominated the market for the last decade+ are not at least deserving a spot in the Top 10 RPGs list.
>>
>>44002563

Nobody comes to 3e after playing other RPGs and thinks, "this is great, I want to play this now!"

They only like it if they start with it.
>>
>>44001612
Wow, so fucking many of those are d20!

Why are 3.5 and pathfinder even separated?
>>
>>44002604
Oh that's a cool theory.

Oh wait, it's retarded.
>>44001612

Looks like you're just upset about how your opinion isn't as popular as you want it to be. So sad.
>>
>>44002563
>>Outliers
Hah, the American Box Office has pretty consistently shown that Americans have shit taste in movies.
>>
>>44002244
Huh, quadruple dubs for an actually true post on 4chan.

Sometimes the universe likes to taunt you that justice might exist.
>>
>>44002563
Get a trip so I can filter you please
>>
File: 1392479914889.gif (2 MB, 324x270) Image search: [Google]
1392479914889.gif
2 MB, 324x270
>>44002687
You fail to understand the largely diverse demographics that watch Movies. Many younger, stupider people watch bad movies, this is true across the world. They also have more free time for movies, and usually have to go with their parents, which just ups the numbers more.

Actually good movies get good numbers, but it can't be compared as their target audience is just busier and less interesting in movies.
And that's not even mentioning that movies based on bad books still usually have impressive and expensive special effects

Meanwhile, the d20 games seem to be popular across the entire spectrum, from new to old and experienced.

It's very easy to believe the average person is stupid, or every American has shit taste in movies, but in reality:

The problem is in your limited perspective.

It's called Dunning-Kruger.
>>
>>44002794
>You fail to understand the largely diverse demographics that play d20 games. Many younger, stupider people play d20, this is true across the world. They also have more free time for games, and usually have to get their parents to pay for stuff, which just ups the numbers more.
>Actually good games get good numbers, but it can't be compared as their target audience is just busier and less interesting in games.
>And that's not even mentioning that games based on bad books still usually have impressive and expensive marketing campaigns built-in from crossover fans
>Meanwhile, the Michael Bay Transformers movies seem to be popular across the entire spectrum, from new to old and experienced.
>It's very easy to believe the average person is stupid, or every American has shit taste in games, but in reality:
>The problem is in your limited perspective.
>It's called Dunning-Kruger.
>>
File: 20100512after.gif (26 KB, 362x360) Image search: [Google]
20100512after.gif
26 KB, 362x360
>>44002940
Eh, 3/10, you forgot that parents buying the products doesn't up the numbers because they're still not buying for themselves.

Not to mention implying that good systems are made to appeal to people who don't play tabletop, which is hilarious. Also, the Michael Bay movies are directly marketing to kids, with only the first one having extra marketing to try and play on late 80's nostalgia. So it's actually an amazing example of Twilight.

It's correct that you would come to the same conclusion, you are suffering from SEVERE Dunning-Kruger.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.