[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instead of turning into Liches, would humans first try polymorphing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: 1448848396600.jpg (161 KB, 478x689) Image search: [Google]
1448848396600.jpg
161 KB, 478x689
Instead of turning into Liches, would humans first try polymorphing themselves into elves/other long lived races if they just wanted to live longer?
>>
>>43999935
It's actually a plot point in my setting that people have a clock out on them regardless if they change their race.
The only racial change for which this actually works is dragons, specifically the change to half-dragon.
It doesn't matter too much at this point anyways, because there's a cataclysmic event set for within the next two decades.
>>
"Long life" is not a racial trait and similarly is not granted by polymorph. Try harder next time
>>
>>43999966
Wouldn't life span fall under "and other gross physical qualities such as appearance and number of limbs"?
>>
>>43999935
Elves are humans that fucked around with life extending magic until it became a part of them.
>>
>>43999935
Nymphs are fey. They probably live forever. Can I legitimately polymorph myself into one of them with the justification that it's for the sake of immortality?
>>
But I do that I can't wear jewels in my eye sockets and cover my bones in gold.
>>
>>44000472
In rearguards to your fellow players?

possibly.

Play up the love of music. Play down the love of sex.

All is well.
>>
>>44000496
Yeah but you get to have hot elf sex.
>>
>>44000472
The true reason is that you want a good reason to slut it up for the rest of your life isn't it?
>>
>>43999935
>elves aren't a real species
>their just humans that polymorphed
>>
>>44000499
I mean in-character.

>>44000519
Whatever do you mean, I want to be immortal and liches are evil. What more is there to say?
>>
File: Kiloren.jpg (35 KB, 290x400) Image search: [Google]
Kiloren.jpg
35 KB, 290x400
>>44000472
There are other fey that would be more suitable for polymorphing into, since most of the nymph's powers don't transfer over, including their high charisma stat.

Kiloren seem like an apt choice.

But, there's also no evidence that Nymphs and other fey are immortal, since playable fey races like the Shadar-kai have listed maximum ages, and they're not even particularly long.
>>
File: 1444490648525.png (400 KB, 465x886) Image search: [Google]
1444490648525.png
400 KB, 465x886
>>44000536
It's not unreasonable for your character to want to spend the rest of their immortal life bouncing up and down on a cock.
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>44000143
>elven immortality
1) Elves are humans with a biologically integrated form of life extending magic.
2) Elves have a biologically integrated form of life extending magic. Humans are elves who have lost this magic.
3) Elves are immortal so long as they maintain some kind of spiritual focus.
4) Elves are immortal so long as they remain in a specific location.
5) Elves are immortal so long as they maintain a connection with nature.
6) Elves aren't immortal, but each elf's companion sprite is. So long as the sprite is alive, the elf won't die of old age.
7) Each elf is actually the biological host for an immortal nature spirit. If you were somehow to sever the connection between body and spirit, the body would age normally.
8) Elves are immortal because their long ears act as receptors for reinvigorating magical background radiation. The older an elf, the bigger its ears.
9) Elves aren't immortal - they're just all clones.
10) Elves are immortal because they're secretly leaching the lifeforce of an imprisoned god to feed their race.
>>
>>44000660
11) The long lifespan of the elves is bought at the cost of the shorter lifespans of all the other races - an ancient curse on the world drains our lives to extend theirs.
12) Only the body of an elf is immortal.
13) Elves maintain their immortal through a complex system of magical salves, potions and mind-bending drugs.
14) The immortality of elves comes from their regular consumption of raw, sentient flesh.
15) Only some elves are immortal - these clans are the most prestigious and the ones that control contact with the outside world.
16) Elves' immortality comes from the ancient, nonhumanoid immortals their race is descended from.
17) Elves maintain their immortality through an immense, worldwide illusion spell that hides them all from Death.
18) Elves are immortal because their presence is anathema to the gods of the afterlife.
19) Elves actually stole their immortality from the dwarves.
20) As a child, each elf eats the fruits and bathes in the waters of the Eternal Garden. Their immortality comes from this.
>>
>>44000499
>rearguards
lewd
just because I'm a nymph doesn't mean I have to get fucked in the ass
>>
>>44000519
>>44000650
I know you think you're amusing, but it's just sad at this point.
>>
>>44000705
Are you implying I'm joking?
>>
>>44000711
I'm implying that you're not amusing.
>>
>>44000671
>17) Elves maintain their immortality through an immense, worldwide illusion spell that hides them all from Death.
>18) Elves are immortal because their presence is anathema to the gods of the afterlife.

Don't these imply that elves are invulnerable as well?
>>
>>44000788
No, but possibly unkillable.
>>
>>44000650
Yes but she can't admit that, can she?
>>
>>44001737
Eventually people will admit anything.
>>
File: oceanstrider.jpg (242 KB, 400x694) Image search: [Google]
oceanstrider.jpg
242 KB, 400x694
>>44000588
Did someone ask for the best Fey?
I've got the best fey right here.
>>
>>44002593
I actually used orca giants in one D&D setting I ran a few years back. They worked like inevitables in regular D&D, if you fucked up natural laws they'd come find you and sink your battleship.
>>
>>44000650
I first read that as
>It's not unreasonable for your character to want to spend the rest of their immortal life bouncing up and down as a cock.
Made me wonder when absorption/cock TF was thrown in here
>>
>>44003445
Jesus Christ. You could be less blatant.
>>
>>44002653
>They worked like inevitables

Anything that works like inevitables gets a pass in my book.
>>
>>44002653
So like Hippy Fishmen?
>>
>>44003504
Nah, they really weren't very peaceful. And the ain natural laws in question were all tied up with the metaphysics of the setting, it'd be awkward to explain.
>>
>>43999935
Or something like Elan from that one 3.5 book.
>>
>>44004611
Elan aren't always female, so polymorphing into one of them for immortality wouldn't be an excuse for eternal cock-riding.
>>
>>43999935
hahahahahaha thats just what happened to my character
at first he was afraif but then he realised that now he would have 5-600 years o rmore left instead of 50. But hes working for "immortality" one way or the other.
>>
That is definitely a thought. What human wouldn't want to become a Storm Giant if he could? Or she, for that matter.

In any world where you can gain the lifespan of the creature you transform into practically every society should be ruled by immortal giant sorcerer kings.

Kinda like Darksun but with giants instead of Dragons and the magic doesn't have to fuck up everything.
>>
>>44000499
why play something down? any restirction would be against the very nature of fey.
If sex is their nature then goddamnit play it out. It is harder to play this in a believing way than you think.

>>44000588
Fluff wise Fey are immortal in a way that even if they die the will be reborn and start again, their soul is immortal. And it needs really high magic to make our soul fey. Your body is something different...
>>
>>44005314
In DnD Lawfull characters could be offended by it or at least not do it themselves because its against the natural order of things
>>
>>44005382

Hardly. They'd be going with the natural order of things, they'd just align themselves with a DIFFERENT order.

The main ones getting pissy would be the gods 'cuz they can't snack on those delicious souls.

"DIS VERY DISHONURABU, AGAINST THE NATURAL ORDER! YOU ARE FAITHLESS! GET ON THE WALL!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs
>>
>>44000000
>>
>>44005314
The way I see it, most people can't become immortal, even if they wanted to.

Reincarnation is like playing Roulette, and some of the things you can be reborn as can have significantly SHORTER lifespans. If your game has semi-permanent penalties upon death, like losing character levels, then you only get so many attempts before another death would spell your doom. There are also a finite number of spellcasters strong enough to cast Reincarnation, and the price for such a service would be very high according to the DMG.

Permanent Polymorph spells can only be cast by the strongest mages, and are extremely expensive. Very few casters are high enough level to cast such spells, and I wager that few would have the time or interest to do so without good reason (like double or triple the standard rate, even).

It's not that extending your lifespan is impossible, or something people haven't thought about. It's just too expensive and difficult to acquire for the vast majority of the population.
>>
>>44005314
So it's like Darksun meets Dark Souls. You could call it Dark Dark
>>
>>44005546
>Permanent Polymorph
Ahh, but you see therein lies the rub.

One mage can cast permanent polymorph. The rich people pay him money and he casts it on them; now they're immortal races with magic affinity. They learn to cast it and cast it on their favored servants and children. Their children will want to do the same for their own kids and favored servants, and so on. They're immortal, after all. They have time to learn.

After a while the immortals would probably outnumber the mortals.

>>44005552
Sun Souls: Reign of the Scholar.
>>
Could a human just polymorph themselves into a younger human?
>>
>>44005644
Maybe in RAW you can Polymorph into creatures with inherent spellcasting ability, but I've never seen or allowed that in any game. That's not to say it doesn't happen, it just sounds like a million types of overpowered bullshit.
>>
>>44005887
For PC's that's ludicrously overpowered, yeah. But it makes perfect logical sense from a story and setting perspective. Rulers want to live forever. Mages want to live longer too and becoming a lich or vampire sucks.

Why not transform into a storm giant instead? Rulers do turn into dragons in some settings.

It should be an option but too difficult and long term for PC's. Something that requires lifetime dedication. It would also help solve the, "Why don't the PC's slay the king and take his place" issue. The king is a fucking Titan. Don't fuck with him.
>>
>>44005981
It creates WAY more problems than it solves. Why is the king sending a group of 4th level adventurers to kill some Orcs a few miles away if he could just do it himself? Why wouldn't he turn all of his retainers into Storm Giants and just give them Rings of Reduce Person so they can return to Medium size? Adventurers are meant to be a cut above normal people, with access to strength and spells that generally aren't available. This kind of power escalation messes with that, even worse it begs the question why the PCs aren't ALSO Storm Giants!

Basically, pic related.
>>
>>44006179
Make it require something retardedly rare, like the left nut of an ancient dragon, consumed on the night of an equinox, while preforming the correct rites.

Though, polymorph is the least of the problems of Magic user PCs, especially book casters, from a storytelling perspective.
>>
>>44006179
Look at Dark Sun, dude. The rulers there are giant sorcerer-god-kings. They actively eliminate the competition but don't do everything themselves. They consider it to be even more important, if anything, to work through proxies.

Just because they have great power doesn't mean they can use it to stomp out every problem that arises. If the king is off killing some kobolds he can't sign tax forms. He also can't go fight the dragon that decides to attack the capital while he's gone.

Or hell, maybe the nobles are, you know, nobles. They aren't actually super skilled fighters or mages, they just pay the real mages to make them giants with innate spellcasting and long lives. Perhaps they were knights or something similar as a human, but like a 1-10th level NPC, not an epic hero.

I think it actually just creates more hooks if the ritual to turn a human into an immortal magic giant requires giant blocks of gold you can only get from the plane of elemental earth and rare spell components pulled from the corpses of great beasts. The nobles pay the PC's to get the ingredients for the ritual.

Why don't the PC's do it? Because even if they stole the ingredients they'd have to spend years having their body magically prepared for the change. It'd be a retirement option for PC's, not an adventuring perk.
>>
>>44000788
No, it means they can't die of disease or old age. These are subtle things and harder for death gods to sniff out, the illusion is strong enough to keep slow and feeble deaths like cancer or getting old safely masked from the reaper. But being stabbed in the head is like sending up a flare for the reaper, it doesn't matter how many illusions you have.
>>
>>44000821
Immortality and unkillable without invulnerability can rapidly head into nightmare territory. Queue up the psychotic BBEG with a thing for tearing elves apart...
>>
>>44008224
Overall I would argue it's still an advantage though. I mean there's the potential for endless suffering, but only in a situation where you'd normally die.
>>
>>44004611
Elans are some pretty weird stuff.

They're also in pathfinder.
>>
>>44009385
There's no incentive to design an eternal torture for you if you're just going to die.

Overall though, I think Blade of the Immortal did a fantastic job of exploring what it means to have an immortal body.
>>
>>44000007
One would think
>>
>>44009385
>>44014906
>eternal torture
Maybe the villain turns the victim into an immortal female so that they can endure eternal rape.

An eternity of sex doesn't have to be a good thing.
>>
>>44000660
>10
Blood Elves confirmed
>>
>>44014906
Did it? I'm biased on that series because Manji is so by far the worst character in it. The prison arc did explore the potential monstrosity of that though, sure.
>>
File: boti_v19_221.jpg (312 KB, 1507x1100) Image search: [Google]
boti_v19_221.jpg
312 KB, 1507x1100
>>44018107
I was going to give the series a C- until the prison arc. That alone elevated it to a B+.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.