[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Warhammer Fantasy magic is inherently corruptive, if not in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Wizard_npcs[1].jpg (180 KB, 1500x562) Image search: [Google]
Wizard_npcs[1].jpg
180 KB, 1500x562
In Warhammer Fantasy magic is inherently corruptive, if not in the same sense as in Warhammer 40k, provided you maintain proper focus and discipline.

And in the Empire, there are eight different lores, or Orders, of magic. These are:

Amber Order.
Amethyst Order.
Bright Order.
Celestial Order.
Gold Order.
Grey Order.
Jade Order.
Light Order.

Magic corrupts in such a way that the magic-user takes on aspects of the Wind of Magic (or Magic Lore) they are using.

This means that a Bright Wizard becomes increasingly erratic, their hair turns redish, yellowish, or orange, their tattoos start to glow, their eyes take on a fire-y hue, and so on.

In the case of strong casters of the Bright Order, their hair becomes literal fire, their breath becomes like the air from a forge bilge, and their skin becomes warm.

This is pretty well-established, and there's plenty of art for Bright Wizards, and the effects of being a Bright Wizard comes up again and again, because Bright Wizards is what we see the most of, because they are the battle wizards and the warriors.

But what of the other winds/orders/lores? What effects do they "suffer"? What aspects do they take on? What happens to them?

And lastly, what do you think they look like, and is there any good art? I started thinking of this because I couldn't find any good art at all of Gold Wizards or White Wizards, and very limited art for others.

Green Wizards are basically any druid, though, so that can be pretty much ignored. Treehuggers.
>>
>>43999175

Could you list the descriptions of and powers associated with the other Orders? I'd love to throw some ideas in but what the hell am I supposed to do with ' describe Gold Order' when I've got nfi what Gold Order is about

And I say this as someone who used to own the damn Wind of Magic expansion book
>>
>>43999254

Amber - animal part of druidic magic, very intuitive / informal, half-wild druid with beastform, summon animals to do bidding, the works
Amethyst - death magic, "good" necromancy as in using only pure death energy and not undead, actually consider undead anathema and work with priests of Morr
Bright - Fire fire fire, also fire
Celestial - Astrology (also the mathematical kind), precognition, visions
Gold - alchemy
Grey - mage looks like your typical Gandalf kind, but I actually forgot what this one deal with :|
Jade - amber but with plant stuff instead. Also healing/herbalism.
Light - energy manipulation, ley-lines, large-scale spells, communion casting with acolytes or other mages, energy of pyramids
>>
>>43999175
I'm to lazy to google it, so I'm going by memory

Amber --- Beasts
Amethyst --- Death
Bright --- Fire
Celestial --- Heavens
Gold --- Metal
Grey --- Shadow
Jade --- Life
Light --- Light
>>
>>43999536
Well, we know gold more or less. Balthazar Gelt was the highest ranked wizard of the gold order, (eventually the supreme primarch of all wizards) and he was always seen wearing golden masks/robes, which some said were one with his body.
Grey wizards are masters of illusion - check out "Vermindtide", the recent warhammer computer game. In the game, you encounter two grey wizards - your "getaway driver" is pretty normal, but she drives a magically disguised chariot pulled by shadowy ghost horses. A higher ranking grey wizard, whose tower you traverse later in the game, has libraries full of banned books and paintings by a heretic artist. (Based on the witch hunters' commentary.) Though you never see him, he talks to the party magically and is very eccentric, even insane. Based on this, I'd say that in lieu of physical transformation, grey wizards just develop an increasingly esoteric attitude over time, slowly losing their grasp on mundane reality.
We saw an amber wizard model from GW once, IIRC. It was a bearded man who had antlers and was pretty ripped. I'd say that amber wizards are probably super healthy (compared to the skinny intellectuals of other magic types) and take on aspects of nature.
>>
>>43999254
>Could you list the descriptions of and powers associated with the other Orders?

The Light Order - The Lore of Light, Hysh, associated with the colour white. Referred to as White Wizards or sometimes as Clerics. Contemplative, philosophical, near-pacifists that uses healing spells and anti-daemon fare.

The Gold Order - The Lore of Metal, Chamon, associate with the colour yellow. Referred to as Yellow Wizards, Gold Wizards, or Metal Mages. They're all about forging, and are tied very much to order and the physical world; easy to learn, hard to master. They use a lot of metals, but most two; gold is a magical conductor, lead is a magical insulator.

The Jade Order - The Lore of Life, Ghyran, associated with the colour green. Referred to as Jade Wizards or sometimes as Druids. All about the forces of nature, growth, rebirth, cycles, rainfall and so on. Their powers are at least partly tied to the seasons. They're pretty much druids.

The Celestial Order - The Lore of Heaven, Azyr, associated with the colour blue. Referred to as Celestial Wizards, Diviners, or Augurs. This wind of magic is channeled through the stars and is very insubstantial compared to other lores, associated with dreams and creativity, theory, and divination.

The Grey Order - The Lore of Shadow, Ulgu, associated with the colour grey. Referred to as Grey Wizards or Illusionists. It is mysterious, disorienting, and confusing, and described as a thick fog.
>>
>>44000555
>cont'd

The Amethyst Order - The Lore of Death, Shyish, associated with the colour of (dark) purple or amethyst, because why not. Referred to as Amethyst Wizards or (derogatory) "Gravediggers". All about the ending of things, the slow decline of the soul, and the awe of death that all living things must face. They also teach they all of creation is permanent and that our soul passes on; they apparently did not foresee the Age of Shitmar. If the Jade Order is about cycles, this one is about beginnings and endings, strongest around times of transition (dusk/dawn, equinoxes, etc).

The Bright Order - The Lore of Fire, Aqshy, associated with the colour red. The Bright Wizards we all know and love, also called Pyromancers. All about the flames and passion and courage and excitement and so on. Not necessarily destruction, but it definitely tends to take that form.

The Amber Brotherhood - The Lore of Beasts, Ghur, associated with the colour brown (or amber). Referred to as Amber Wizards or Beastlords, and if Jade Wizards were druids, these guys are shamans, and they don't even have a college in Altdorf (all others do). All about the bestial spirits, predator and prey, the unchecked wilds and everything free from the touch of civilization, savage, unreasoning, but devoid of malice.
>>
>>44000582
>Amethyst Order

It should be noted that while they deal with the dead, they are not necromancers, and calling them that would not just be derogatory, but likely cause for immediate and violent sanction.
>>
If you can get a copy of the artbook 'Blood on the Reik' it has some really cool designs for wizards of each order.
>>
>>43999175
>In Warhammer Fantasy magic is inherently corruptive
I would say mutating? Using a single lore with proper discipline is perfectly possible for a human. They may change physically and mentally, but I'd save corruption for the effects of Dhar, which is all 8 winds of magic flung together and what powers Chaos magic and Necromancy.
>>
>>44000763
>If you can get a copy of the artbook 'Blood on the Reik' it has some really cool designs for wizards of each order.

I'll keep trying, but so far I've only found .epub and .mobi versions, which does me no good. Hopefully there's some scans out there somewhere. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
>>
>>43999175
Lexicanum has a bunch of info on this with sources cited.
I also remember that most of these were explained in either a WD article or one of the background books (Blood on the Reik?) with pencil illustrations from Kopinski for at least a few.
Amethyst Wizard basically looked like a Necromancer, just less dead.
I can't remember much else, but I remember that Jade Wizards are not 'just' druids, they're more like embodiments of wilderness. Start to live in caves and avoid all traces of civilization etc. I know that to some degree there is the D&D analogue, but like most Warhammer stuff they turned the dial up to 11 on that.

And I seem to remember that either Light or Heaven wizards tend to get blind eyes.
>>
Hang on, I remember there being blurps about the effects in the old WFRP books and their Tomes of Magic.

I'll look them up and get back to you.
>>
>>44000831
>but I remember that Jade Wizards are not 'just' druids, they're more like embodiments of wilderness. Start to live in caves and avoid all traces of civilization etc

Those would be Amber Wizards, no? All about the wilderness and fuck civilization. Doesn't even have a base in Altdorf, and instead hangs out in Amber Hills.
>>
>>43999451
>Celestial - Astrology (also the mathematical kind), precognition, visions

You forgot they use and control thunder and lighting.
>>
>>44000895
Oh right, sorry. I always get them confused.
The only ones I can really remember are Amber, Amethyst and Grey Wizards, because one sets stuff on fire (which is my favorite kind of magic), the other is a different flavor of Necromancer and the Grey Wizard is WHFB Odin/Gandalf to me.
>>
>>44001002
>Amber, Amethyst and Grey Wizards
>one sets stuff on fire
>the other is a different flavor of Necromancer
>the Grey Wizard is WHFB Odin/Gandalf

So.. Amber wizards set things on fire? But... that's the Bright Wizard's job!
>>
>>44000948
>You forgot they use and control thunder and lighting.
They do? Well shit. Didn't know that at all. Do they also control winds and shit?
>>
>>44001228
Yes. Lightning, wind, comets, and telling the future. They focus most on the last one, however.
>>
>>43999868
>paintings by a heretic artist.
>it's blanche's art

The more I look into this game the more I'm amused
>>
>>44000815
Warhammer fantasy general/wargame resources/mega link/fantasy/background

Is pdf ok?
>>
>>43999175
Gold Wizards start to become literal metal statues that make use of contraptions to move them around,

Brown wizards become more feral and start to grow fur and their canines can become more pronounced but they won't actually turn into a wild animal.
>>
One of the WFRP books describes the attributes different order wizards take I forget if it's in the actual magic section in the main 2e book or if it's the actual Magic supplement for 2e
>>
>>44004318
>Is pdf ok?

Would kill for it.
>>
>>43999175

This is all covered in the WFRP 2e book Realms of Sorcery, page 175, entitled "Arcane Marks"

It describes exactly what you're looking for
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.