[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game setting/system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 01-Cover_Final_HIGH-600x306.jpg (49 KB, 600x306) Image search: [Google]
01-Cover_Final_HIGH-600x306.jpg
49 KB, 600x306
Hey /tg/ got perhaps a strange question, I have a craving for weird party combinations and settings. I was wondering if there was a system and/or setting that allowed odd mix ups of groups. Like one player being a gun wielding cowboy while another could be a wizard and someone else a private eye from the 50s. That kind of stuff. Please don't say GURPs.
>>
>>43998327
D20 with multiple corebooks.

Don't expect it to be balanced though
>>
>>43998327
>one player being a gun wielding cowboy while another could be a wizard and someone else a private eye from the 50s
>Please don't say GURPs

Why not GURPS? GURPS is easy. Look at your skill/ability score, add/subtract any modifiers and roll under. That's it.

You seriously don't need to use those silly books from 3rd Edition, which force you to grab a calculator, so you can balance your starship's power's usage, speed, mass and cost.

Look up skill. Add modifier. Roll under.

Read splatbooks to cherrypick rules which you deem cool. Player does something you didn't cherrypick/written yourself? It's time to improvise, something which probably every DM ever has to do at some point.
>>
>>43999135

Behold the GURPS player. He tempts the unwary, he lists so many features.

But never in his instructions does he say 'Have fun'. He knows that is the one thing his system can never provide.
>>
>>43998327
I would personally use Fate for something like that, but it's not to everyone's tastes.
>>
>>43998471
which is sorta why I haven't done that. I'd like balance and everyone feeling useful.

>>43999135
Don't like GURPS. It CAN do it, probably, but doesn't mean it does it well.
>>
File: cool_guy.jpg (32 KB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
cool_guy.jpg
32 KB, 257x212
>>43999155
I chuckled, I'll give you that.

>>43999201
Maybe Savage Worlds then?
>>
>>43999135
I'd do freestyle rather than GURPS. It's basically the same thing. If a rulebook can't provide enjoyable crunch or enjoyable narrative rules that substitute crunch, then the rulebook is worthless.

Such as GURPS.
>>
>>43998327
I don't know, man. You just described a book on my shelf called "Tales From the Floating Vagabond".
That shit gets ridiculous.
>>
>>43999256
>provide enjoyable crunch

Fun is subjective.
>>
>>43998327
>I need a really wacky party guys
>I want gunslingers and wizards and private eyes
>please don't suggest the system that was created specifically to tailor to this kind of setting
mkay
>>
>>43999343
It is the same line of reasoning of
>I would like a fantasy RPG but I don't like D&D
>"Tsk, you pretentious prick"
Just because your precious system can do anything doesn't mean everyone has to accept to use it for anything.
>>
>>43999343
See
>>43999368
>>
File: 1442267750988.png (1 MB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
1442267750988.png
1 MB, 861x1169
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.