[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 25
File: Victor-Mousetrap.jpg (210 KB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Victor-Mousetrap.jpg
210 KB, 1900x1200
/tg/, I need your best idea for traps to irritate the fuck out of my players.
>>
Cute girl that is actually a boy.
>>
>>43996837
you're not wrong
>>
File: 1448289100036.jpg (118 KB, 384x720) Image search: [Google]
1448289100036.jpg
118 KB, 384x720
>>43996837
Why didn't I see this coming
>>
File: lwhQAOY1s7rco9o1_1280.png (1020 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lwhQAOY1s7rco9o1_1280.png
1020 KB, 1280x720
>>43996791
make them best girl
>>
File: Bridget.full.1063178.jpg (234 KB, 869x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bridget.full.1063178.jpg
234 KB, 869x1000
>>43996849
>Best trap
>Not Bridget

Get on my level.
>>
File: play pretend.png (147 KB, 849x672) Image search: [Google]
play pretend.png
147 KB, 849x672
>>43996863
fuck off pleb
>>
Any sort of puzzle is sure to enrage your party, bonus points if it's some obscure cryptography method.

Riddles with no answer.

Punji stick traps everywhere. Go ahead, look up some Punji stick traps, the Viet Cong had all sorts of clever traps. Ceiling spikes, side-impalement, even miniature crossbows were sending soldiers back to MASHs in droves.

Collapsing towers

And my favorite, establishing paranoia and false senses of security by constantly asking questions like "Greg, what's your dodge skill again" or "Which hand do you open the door with?". Also roll your dice and "write" things down. More bonus points if you're drawing something cool while pretending to be making notes.
>>
File: _20150629_020715.jpg (188 KB, 656x586) Image search: [Google]
_20150629_020715.jpg
188 KB, 656x586
>my time has come.
>>
>>43996881
His head seems really small compared to his body
>>
>Rakes
>Dangling wet strings in a pitch black hallway
>A door that opens inwards
>A door that when opens sends a fake ghoul with black robes down on a zipline at the party.
>A platinum piece that is glued to the floor of the dungeon
>>
>>43996964
>not a couple fake platinum pieces glued to the floor of the dungeon
>>
I had one that was an clear glass orb with a construct inside that looked at you. It said "do not tap glass or construct will explode". The players decided to put it in a bag. And I ask them how they go about it. They all "I pick it up carefully and place it in the bag". I then start rolling as their walking, and a room later it blows up because they decided not to wrap it in anything to muffle.
>>
>>43996791
Anon, you should know by now that the word 'trap' is a trap by itself.

But for a serious answer to your question...

You know the stereotypical idea of puzzles and riddles to advance through a dungeon?

Subvert that stupid shit.
You're not going to put traps in your dungeon to keep away all but those smart enough to solve some stupid games. What's the point of that?

So, you could put there riddles and puzzles that are actually just traps, and trying to solve them serves no other purpose than to activate them.
>>
The fake boulder with bees inside and the no escape corridor.
I wish i saved that
>>
Save or die traps. Multiples of them.

Honestly the only time a DM has done anything at all, that actually made me angry.
>>
>>43997055
>You know the stereotypical idea of puzzles and riddles to advance through a dungeon?
>dungeon to keep away all but those smart enough

Make a puzzle and reduce and re-skin the elements as natural objects and events. I agree that a Sudoku as a lock is stupid, puzzles can be done if they seem to be there for a reason.

Making puzzles traps is enforcing the point that puzzle solving is bad for the player, I don't think that's good for the game. You might as well not have puzzles at all.
>>
3 x 3 lines of chests in a room. 8 of them are lined with bags of holding, holding six kobolds each. The last chest has actual loot, but if you open any of the kobold chests, all kobold chests open and the loot chest blows up.

It's fun.
>>
>>43997653
So I have a 1/9 chance for loot and an 8/9 chance for 48 dead kobolds worth of equipment? Sounds like a win/win to me
>>
>>43996884
>Riddles with no answer.
Riddles with answer, but with the riddler attacking you not only when you answer wrong but also when you answer right.
> "Good answer!" BAM
The riddler was just trying to earn time for whatever ticking plot you may have.
>>
>>43996791
>to irritate the fuck out of my players.
>>43996837
>is actually a boy
If you wanna actually torment your players you need to step up your game a little further. Besides the above, make "her"
1) plot important
2) raging tsundere
>>
>>43996791
czechbro
>>
>>43996791
A door that locks if tampered with.
A door that only opens if you use your offhand twisting in a counter clockwise motion.
A door that leads to a hypercube dungeon.
A long hallway that has a tile that when stepped on depresses activating a trap.
A long hallway that has a lot of tiles that when stepped on depresses activating a trap.
A long hallway that has a lot of tiles that when stepped on depresses activating a trap 30 seconds later at the end of the hallway.
A long hallway thats full of tiles that when stepped on depresses but doesn't actually activate a trap.
A long hallway full of false tiles with a statue at the end that asks "if a father gives one son 10 cents and another son 15 cents what time is it." The statue actually doesn't do anything but take up 3/4 of the hallway.
A barmaid.
>>
File: dynamite1-large.jpg (2 MB, 2152x1614) Image search: [Google]
dynamite1-large.jpg
2 MB, 2152x1614
An Ideal site for a fireplace with a delayed trap that explodes the whole site into smithereens an hour or a couple of hours after being triggered by the unlucky adventurers. Everyone gets killed in their sleep.
>>
>>43996791
Just use a bog standard cave in trap they are annoying as fuck and good at killing pcs
>>
File: d&d beasts ceiling monster.jpg (25 KB, 353x263) Image search: [Google]
d&d beasts ceiling monster.jpg
25 KB, 353x263
>>
>>43997878
>>43997863
>>43997127
I don't want to kill the PCs, just make them hate the ever living guts out of the villain that planted all of the traps just for them.

>>43996964
Calm down there Satan
>>
>>43997925
Exploding frogs.
>>
>>43997925
Do stuff like zombies with choking powder and grease traps then
Stuff that is save or lose actions with things trying to kill them in the room
>>
>>43996964
>>Dangling wet strings in a pitch black hallway
>>A door that opens inwards
How are either of these traps?
>>
>>43998004
>I've never had fun irl
>>
>>43997925
Doors. Every door they come across leads do a plane of death and war. Everytime they open it flames, arrows, and demonic hands shoot out. Closing the door seems to send all objects back to said death plane. The sneaky part? Its all an illusion. From then on omit the mention of doors entirely. Occasionally blatantly point out a door in decent description and watch the characters explicitly avoid it and the players visibly sweat and panic. If you ever want them to break the habit put a very important objective behind a door and leave no other way to get to it. Once they open the door lo and behold its just a plain none death dealing door. If you want next campaign no matter the setting mention a door in length and watch them panic.
>>
>>
>>43998040
Explain to me how a door that opens inwards is a trap when 99% of all doors in existence open inwards from one side.
>>
>>43998049
When the fuck did we improve this shit?!
>>
in my last campaign i had a room that got half feet worth of water in it per round (it started filling when the guarding waterweird closed the outlet, and so combat began at the same time) the trick to unlocking it was pouring some water into a small hole coming out of the door, the door would automatically unlock once the water reached the hole, but this was about 6 feet up.

on the other side there is a small pathway before going directly down, far into the darkness.

the real trap is that the more water that the room gets before it unlocks the harder the save is to make when the doors open, if it auto-unlocks it's borderline impossible to make.
>>
>>43998116
Reminds me of a trap from The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, but that was with sand, and would actually kill the characters.
>>
>>43998064
The trap is the door ALWAYS opens towards you regardless of previous experiences.
>>
>>43998116
something else i have yet to use it is something a bit like the potion room from the first harry potter book.

a room with several potions and a door blocked by fire/magic/danger.
while the standard would be that one of the potions will be a anti-fire/magic/danger potion, some variations is that all of them need to be consumed, all of the potions sit on trigger plates that need to be triggered to unlock it, the fire is just an illusion, the fire not radiating any warmth due to illusion magic (but still burning if you actully touch it), all of the potions are actully poison/different kinds of juices/polymorph potions etc, etc and the lock mechanism is something unrelated
>>
>>43998191
>a room with several potions and a door blocked by fire/magic/danger.
I vote we demolish the wall.
>>
File: scale trap.jpg (240 KB, 2280x1700) Image search: [Google]
scale trap.jpg
240 KB, 2280x1700
>>43998127
never heard of it, sounds fun.

>>43998191
i also made a "scale trap" sort of thing, after drawing this i realized that there needs to be a way to be able to reset it, so something like weights being in a small room behind square 3, usable for counter weight or some way of allowing the square one people to climb up the wall, allowing for the scale to lighten and reset
>>
>>43996791
Start at 1st level and put normal traps.
At best they're going to spot 5% of them, they also going to move half their speed making the whole game tedious as fuck.
>>
>>43998268
It's dungeon module C1, one of the tournament modules. That means that it's pretty lethal, so that players could rotate fairly often.
>>
>>43998268
>Splat
The weight of two humans aint going to kill one.
>>
>>43998268
>Traps that only work on turn based games
That's metagaming
>>
>>43998218
you break the wall, the ancient mechanics that produces the blockade of fire are damaged and while you don't take damage from the blast so are you hurled towards the take with the potions

roll 7 consecutive fortitude saves
>>
>>43998268
There shouldn't be a pit at 3, otherwise platform 2 will fall in as soon as the first guy steps on it.
>>
>>43996791
This one pissed mine off something fierce.

The trap was a 50 x 50 room. The exit had a powerful lock. The only feature in the room was a dial, which started at '5' and counted down by one every round. As it counted down, the room's walls contracted by ten feet. Fortunately, there was a button on the dial. When pressed, the room retracted out, and the dial went back to '5', giving them ample time to figure out a way out.
After about two hours, they finally let the dial count down from '0' to '1', and instead of the walls contracting a final time and crushing them, the door opened.
>>
>>43998283
you usually put your heavy armored 6,5 feet tall beefcake paladins and fighter in the front

and the limpwristed wizards wearing robes in the back

it's not enough to kill someone (i like when my traps are annoying and complicated, not leathal) but should be enough to offer some damage, not to mention getting squashed means you lose control of your character and few things are as annoying as that

>>43998300
it might work better for turn based games, but aslong as you just know their marching order and such you can treat it as a regular trap, the waterroom one you can instead set a timer that's ticking down.

>>43998279
it was pretty far from lethal when i did it, even if they would have failed the first save (only one did) the others managed to grab ahold of him, even if he would have failed that he would have been swept down, landing in a thick layer of mud with "darkness" mist covering the entire thing, blocking all sight and sound (but the others could still have gotten him back up
>>
>>43996791
Happened to me last session
>GM makes a wooden bridge inside a dark as fuck cave that only be crossed by one PC at a time
>Takes 3 turns to cross
>Ranger with seen in darkness 120' decides to cross first
>Lel CR 5 at the other side
>Can't even act because surprise turn
>Other players can't metagame and decide not to cross the bridge because "your character died even before screaming"
Fuck this shit, we all leave the game

Btw, 2nd level characters
>>
A fun trap a friend told me about was a room with a lever, the room would visibly and audibly count down from five everytime the lever was pulled, the party he had would pull the lever every time before it hit zero trying to find a way out of the locked room they were in.
After most of them starved or killed eachother the last one eventually became too weak to pull the lever, then when the counter hit zero the door opened
>>
>>43998304
the rope on square 4 is anchored to the ground, meaning that platform 1 can't go up beyond that point(only down) and platform 2 can't go down(since they all use the same rope)
>>
>>43998415

>>43998313
>>
>>43998406
In front usually goes the explorer/scout/rogue, you know, the one who can detect traps and spot for shit.
>>
Oh this is an easy one.

Alright plain and simple...
Have an injured looking man against a tree groaning in agony.

Players go to aide him..

TAA DAA it's some sort of horrifying mimic tree monster thing using the dying man as a lure to bring in more victims
>>
>>43998141
What about a door that always opens towards you, and the knob is on the left-hand side of the door?
>>
>>43998268
i also got a few more simple things.

old wooden stairs break, what's bellow the stairs? a weapon rack, crates, barrels? what's the content?

an open pitfall lies ahead,jump over it to discover that there was a pitfall on the other side aswell.

an unfocused spyglass/peephole allows the user to see something special (x-ray for the bard?) when someone attempts to tune it to focus a small blade pops out and stabs the user in the eye.

a not all that wide (easy to jump over) pit filled with liquid (just water/mud, flamable, poison, disease, etc, etc?). on the other side there is a narrow ledge (enough for one person to stand on but nothing more) and a plain stone door with a door handle. the ledge, door and walls are all covered in grease, forcing a save, if the person grabs ahold of the doorhandle and argues a bonus for doing so, the handle instantly pops out and he instead gets a penalty. causing him to fall back and get covered in the liquid
a pitfall (mine was filled with rotting slime, causing the player that fell down to get covered in slime and making him vomit) there is a rope hanging down the middle of it and a narrow ledge on the side, with a rope/hand hold running along side the wall. on the side that the ledge is, towards the side that the party is coming from, is a ladder leading up from the bottom(so that if you fall down you can climb back up again.
the rope in the middle is hanging very lose and if anyone tried to use it to swing across they will fall. the narrow ledge will tip once too much weight is on it (and the wall it's connected to aswell, looking a bit like an L revealing a hidden room, aslong as the weight is still on on the ledge (by hanging on to the hand-holds.
>>
>>43998432
yeah, i guess, but in my current campaign we don't have any form of scout
>>
>>43998432
Unless you play 3.5/PF in where rogues/scouts/rangers/etc are utterly shit at their jobs.
>>
>>43996791
Why do you want to irritate your players? As the GM you should be trying to make them enjoy themselves.
>>
>>43998663
Only if the hinge is on the floorboards.
>>
>>43998744
As stupid as this premise is? I know it'd drive my players up a wall.
>>
File: coin.jpg (71 KB, 350x334) Image search: [Google]
coin.jpg
71 KB, 350x334
Put a bag of coins in one of the rooms, just sorta chillin' out on a desk, being a bag of coins. The coins are all tiny mimics with the swarm rules. They proceed to start biting the fuck out of whoever loots it - preferably with a short delay between the looting / biting such that one PC starts spazzing out in a dangerous hallway with other traps in it.

Put in a damsel in distress - bitch is actually a CR+1 vampire who attacks the party when they go to sleep. Bonus points if she looks a lot like the chick the party is "supposed" to be rescuing.

Breed distrust in the environment half the time, and make a doorknob literally just be a doorknob the other half.

Do some One Small Favor shit from RuneScape where a short quest unfolds into a hellishly long endeavor. Reward the party 10gp from the senile old man who wondered why it took so long to get some mundane item.
>>
>>43996863
Old news at this point.
>>
>>43998753
>GM: the knob is on the left-hand side of the door
>player 1: that's stupid
>player 2: whatever, I just open the door
>GM: LOLOLOL I TROLL U
>>
ITT: Forcing players to go all "I disbelieve the air"
>>
>>43996791
Make it so that the dungeon is a huge memory puzzle, and they have to proceed through the rooms in a certain order or automatically return to an earlier room. All monster return whenever you're brought back, and you don't tell them it's the same room, you just offer the same room description and see how long before they figure it out.
>>
>>43998784
Do you not use LARP props appropriate to the situations for immersion?
>>
>>43998845
>LARP
Eugh.
>>
>>43996956
Most drawings of Space Marines do that.
>>
>>43998724
see
>>43997925
>>
>>43998845
Nigga you hardcore as fuck if you have left-hand-door-knobbed doors laying around for LARP and PnP purposes.
>>
File: Shadowrun Hideout.jpg (2 MB, 3762x3323) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun Hideout.jpg
2 MB, 3762x3323
>>
>>43998908
Do you just not plan various things out between games, have a table saw, levels, handsaws, scredrivers, a drill, and construction experience? I could be the oddman out here but you're the odd one if you don't have the above.
>>
I don't understand the left-hand-side/inward opening door thing. don't most people just say, 'I open the door'? how would this be annoying?
>>
>>43998971
I have those things and more, but I generally use them for practical reasons. I live on a farm dawg, I have my own tractor and everything. The last owner was a professional and hobbyist woodcrafter, and I got his entire workshop with all the tools when I bought the place. He didn't exactly need to bring them with him to the home at the ripe age of 89.
>>
File: 1410171945513.jpg (61 KB, 626x460) Image search: [Google]
1410171945513.jpg
61 KB, 626x460
>>43998663
Woah! Slow down, Satan.
>>
File: what are birds.gif-original.gif (1002 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
what are birds.gif-original.gif
1002 KB, 250x251
>>43999127
>663
>>
>>43998797
But what if the air ACTUALLY IS AN ILLUSION
YOU'RE ALL IN A VACUUM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>43999079
Then you best be making a dungeon in the barn and grainhouse or you're failuring your players as a GM. Nothing says fun like zombies in the corn field.
>>
>>43998797
>>43999160
How about illusion traps which mimic common nightmares, like being unable to run swiftly from a pursuer, or falling down a hole, and stuff like that?
>>
>>43999174
My players are usually content with the huge frog in the basement drain, the cave rats in the stairs, and the giant spiders in the corners. And the dire boars in the fields.
>>
>>43996791
asbestos ceiling tiles
>raid dungeon
>rather fancy in some bits
>develop a rather nasty cough a couple weeks later
>dead at 30
>party contacts Proudfoot, Proudfoot, and Took
>sue dreadlord of dungeon for emotional damages and funeral costs
>Proudfoot, Proudfoot and Took: we're on your side, just below the hip
>>
>>43999320
"HO HO HO TRAVELERS! I'VE BEEN DEAD FOR YEARS!"

Do you sueance liches?
>>
>>43999320
Asbestos Dragon
>>
>>43998115
>>43998049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnjxftU6r0
>>
>>43997677
Who said the Kobolds had equipment?
>>
>>44000350
Okay then smartie pants, 48 kobold skins. Should see for a pretty penny
>>
>>44000412
What kind of MMORPG shit is this?

How many points did you sink in skinning and tanning, to be able to quickly skin 48 kobolds and preserve the skins well enough to transport them back to civilisation?
>>
>>44000613
Or rather, why would anyone want a kobold skin?
>>
>>44000766
Either way. Get that vidya notion out of my /tg/.
>>
Have thief disarm trap, disarming trap triggers another trap and so on.

Have a random object like an urn in the middle of the room players inspect nothing special about urn but trap on what's holding it up.
>>
>>44000949

Deal with it grandpa, that's the way things are now
>>
File: Yes.png (206 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
Yes.png
206 KB, 768x768
>>43996837
>Cute girl that is actually a boy.

Also the cute girl that is actually a boy is also a goddess and you managed to piss them off by breaking into their chamber.

Seriously though >>43996884 summed it up fairly well. Another thing I would add is a teleporter system that must be used to move through the dungeon and that will drop the party into various dangerous situations i they choose the wrong teleporter.
>>
>>44001040
Get your WoW off my lawn, you darn kids
>>
>>44001040
What's even the reward in that? You get a silly amount of a stupid item, story-wise. So, what? You get hard when you get to add random shit to your character sheet? Big fucking whoop.
>>
File: 1431309234289.jpg (318 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1431309234289.jpg
318 KB, 2048x1536
>>
Runes in an obscure language that read "overthinking". Place it on a wall, level, statue, sword...
>>
>>44001558
Anyone have the /k/ screencap or the original source of that?
>>
>>44002564
Don't remember its name but its an actual guide book for vietcong that was reprinted in better quality paper and print then somehow got over here and someguy translated it and printed it in even better print. Actual book is long discontinued but theres PDF's i've seen. /k/ one has been altered for hilarity.
>>
File: 1431308436812.jpg (382 KB, 1696x1336) Image search: [Google]
1431308436812.jpg
382 KB, 1696x1336
>>44002564
I don't have the PDF, but I can share a few more pics I got?
>>
File: 1431308890283.jpg (320 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1431308890283.jpg
320 KB, 2048x1536
>>44004394
>>
File: 1431308970314.jpg (259 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1431308970314.jpg
259 KB, 2048x1536
>>44004410
>>
File: 1431310459389.jpg (320 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1431310459389.jpg
320 KB, 2048x1536
>>44004517
>>
File: mfw diet dr kelp.jpg (25 KB, 625x555) Image search: [Google]
mfw diet dr kelp.jpg
25 KB, 625x555
>>43996791
>>43997925
>Automatons shaped like seductive women conjured by a wizard
>horny adventurer touches them
>explodes into a rain of razor-sharp slivers and hydrochloric acid, mild enough to leave unsliced areas alone but absolutely burn any open wounds
>>
>>44005850
>enchanted awesome looking plate armor with great base stats, let alone magic effects
>players check it over for dangerous enchantments, nothing screams at them
>give it to whoever needs it most, of course he puts it on
>the inside of the armor has mundane razors attached to it so they take damage when they put it on
>>
>>44005963
What if my character is a sadomasochist and this ain't his first time to that particular rodeo?
>>
Riddles that are heavily dependant on how words sound in their original language. Meaning that they don't make any sense in the language the PCs currently speak.

After they have solved a riddle or two they come across writing that looks like it could be a riddle, but it isn't. Maybe it's poetry, maybe the writings of a madman, etc. Whatever the case, the correct 'solution' is to just ignore it.

Riddles with missing words because something fell on the stone they were engraved on.

Mechanical traps that they have all seen before. Except these are ancient traps that have been worn down by time. They are broken.

A maguffin that is secured to both the ceiling and floor by taut ropes. All ropes are tied to the maguffin at one end. The ropes are the only thing holding the floor up.
>>
>>44006148
>A maguffin that is secured to both the ceiling and floor by taut ropes. All ropes are tied to the maguffin at one end. The ropes are the only thing holding the floor up.
Oh, you son of a bitch.
>>
File: desire.png (467 KB, 736x756) Image search: [Google]
desire.png
467 KB, 736x756
>>44006094
Maybe bleeding damage? Or maybe it can just be an armor whose limbs lock up at times when you try to swing a weapon.
>>
File: dbb.jpg (19 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
dbb.jpg
19 KB, 640x426
>>43996791
>>
>>43996791
Irritating trap? Have the room contain a lurker above, a trapper, and 4 stunjellies.

>We enter the room.
>Okay, every surface attacks you, roll for initiative.
>>
>>44006148
This kind of shit reminds me of a puzzle in The Witcher 2

https://youtu.be/L-0YBy54B48?t=5m35s
I fudged my way around this in my play through so idk if it's correct. Presumably though you could make a riddle door where a correct answer would actually be the trap. Seeing as anyone installing a riddle door would probably fear an intellectual more than a boorish adventurer.
>>
>>43996847
You're new
>>
>>43996964
I had a game where a town was built around an enchanted platinum ingot.
It was a truly immovable object (relative to the planet)
People kept trying to pick it up, more people came to try, an inn was built to service those who showed up to try
Eventually a town then a city was built around the ingot.
>>
>Random inn by the roadside
>Go in
>Innkeeper seems a bit out of it, just standing still behind the counter
>Asks adventurers to get rid of some rats in his basement
>Go down, there's rats
>Rats seem lethargic and don't really move much beyond attempts to bite whoever gets close
>Hitting them once causes them to just tip over and stop moving
>On closer inspection, the rats are fused to the floor on one side
>Innkeeper thanks you and offers a free room for the night
>Innkeeper doesn't say anything else
>Badgering him just has him keep repeating the request to kill rats and giving you a free room
>The door slams shut
>The entire inn starts shaking slightly
>Looking over the counter reveals the innkeeper is basically a fleshy growth attached to the floor from the waist down
>The inn is a mimic
>roll initiative
>>
>>44010089
...holy fuck
>>
>>43999187
Actually, taking a consistent player who is not going to metagame and making their character experience illusions that make them become a danger to the party could be really cool.
>>
>>44010089
>>
>>43998004
Dangling wet strings are super creepy.

>>44010089
This is also super creepy, and consider it stolen.
>>
In the middle of the room is a playground slide.

If you go down it, a trap opens at the bottom and you fall in.
>>
Whenever they go down a stair, every so often one of the steps will go down just a little more than they expected. Their feet will never reach the ground when they think they should.
>>
>players go into a carnival funhouse to track down a violent fugitive
>hall of mirrors
>fugitive is a shapeshifter
>>
File: Mines1965.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mines1965.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Have fun.
>>
I was thinking of a trap, but I lack creativity and original thought.
>Room with a big table in the middle, fitted for a big feast with wine barrels in the corner
>skeletons around everywhere, only a few bites in the food
>magic can be detected from the food on the table and the wine barrels
>glasses set out are filled with wine, on closer inspection the wine is rancid
>if they players open a chest/press a pressure plate the door locks and the wine barrels' uncork
>the room starts quickly filling with magical wine
>the players have to eat the food on the table to gain water-breathing abilities enough to find the corks and recork the barrels, opening the doors again in the process
>>
The is a magical sword at the bottom of deep well. If you pull it out a grate locks into place overhead.
>>
In the middle of the room is a red potion sitting on a pedestal next to a plaque. It says, "Drink Me."

Its poison.
>>
There a hold in the wall behind a painting just big enough to see through. Removing the painting activates a silent alarm on the other end of the wall. If you put your eye next to it to look into the next room, a kobold with a big spike stabs you in the eyeball.
>>
>>44010778
Why would you make a trap with a way out?
>>
>>44011000
Better yet, when you remove the painting you might hear a small bell ringing. Punishing players for their own stupidity is far more rewarding.
>>
>>44011043
it could just be a spike attached perpendicular to a long plank that is set upon a vertical hinge, being held in place with a peice of rope or string, so that when you cut it it swings downwards and drives the spike through the hole in the wall.
>>
>>44011108
You want it to hit them in the eye, not stab the air while they are talking about where to put the painting.

Light coming through the hole arms the knife, next time it goes dark (like a PC looking through the peephole) triggers the knife.
>>
>>44010741
Thanks anon.
>>
>>44010781
Oh shit.
I really like this one. Is there a way to escape it?
>>
>>44012611
...put another sword back in?
>>
>Library with interesting-looking books
>If you open a book, it makes a small explosion, releasing irritating powder in the reader's face
>Some books are delayed, so you never know when the powder will strike
>Other books trigger booby traps just by pulling them from the shelf
>Rugs cover pressure plates that cause dust-bombs to explode from the shelves
>Rugs also rigged to fire darts with a weak toxin if players try to raise it
>Chandelier rigged to "fall" if someone stands under it
>It doesn't actually hit the ground, and the tiles around the chandelier are rigged to unleash dusty hell on whoever lumps on them to avoid the chandelier
>If the players get wise on this, chandeliers actually do fall, but never deal enough damage to kill
>Armor rigged with tripwires to fall
>The tripwires are also rigged, so cutting them causes the tiles to push players forward so they activate another tripwire instead
>Paintings rigged so moving them makes them release a weak magical explosion to knock players down
>Stairs rigged to suddenly flatten into a slippery slide when players reach the top
>Doors rigged to unleash a blunt arrow when opened
>The rigged doors are rigged so even if you disable the crossbow, a bucket of powdery hell will land on you
>Closets rigged to blast the opener away with a burst of energy
>Drawers are rigged to release potent sneezing powder when opened
>The rigged drawers are double rigged to unleash potent sneezing powder even if opened while the opener's head is below the drawer
>Beds rigged to be terribly uncomfortable
>Chairs rigged with magic strong enough to throw them out of the seat
>Windows rigged to hit the opener with a wooden bar so they fall on their backs
>Tiles are randomly rigged to freeze players in place for a short duration, but long enough for weak poison darts to hit you
>Treasure chests rigged to unleash sneezing powder when opened
>Rigged treasure chests double rigged with poison darts that come out of the lockhole
>>
Two pit traps adjacent to one another. Most times, even reasonably alert PCs will spot the first, then carelessly jump onto the second.

> PCs then become paranoid as fuck for months
>>
>Horrible deadly trap
>activates on the group
>It's so old that it's completely broken and it just rattles a bit harmlessly
>Rattling awakens the thousands of spiders that have since started living in the trap
>Spiders swarm out and over the players
>They're harmless, but any exclamations or commotion (In character or out of character) will alert the kobolds/goblins/orcs/etc in the room over and give them prep time
>>
>>44012611
Put it back in, tie a rope around it, pull it out by the rope.
>>
>>43997013
>not a couple fake platinum pieces glued to pressure pads that look like the floor, and will trigger a nasty trap if the poor sot actually manages to release the coin
>>
>>43997953
Do they sing "Camptown Ladies?"
>>
Bucket of glue.
-2 dex until you apply solvent.
>>
>adventurer steps on tile
>Hot Pink dye lands on them
>they're Hot Pink down to the bone permanently

If you hate them
>party enters the first dungeon room
>12x12x12
>can feel a vague sense of movement for a moment
>party checks the door they came in
>looks like another 12x12x12 room where the hallways used to be
>welcome to the hypercube
>>
Several bad pun traps.
Like a bear trap, that when triggered spawns several fully grown angry grizzly bears.
>>
>>44015132

six canopic looking jars nearby labeled "case of bear attack" above an alcove, opening the jar causes a bear paw to reach from inside and attack the player before disappearing leaving the jar empty.
>>
Magic curse that makes the player a few inches shorter. don't have it affect stats or anything, though maybe mention that their armor chafes a little, and have npc's bring it up when they see them. no way to reverse the curse, though a magical means of growing is possible.

It will drive your player fucking insane, especially if it happens to the tallest character because odds are the player made him as tall as he wishes he was.
>>
>>43997677
Hold on there buddy. He didn't say the 8 chests had 6 kobolds each. He said the 8 chests were lined with bags of holding, each of which has 6 kobolds. Depending on how big the chests are, you could be looking at a swarm of 8 x 50 = 400 kobolds, maybe more.
>>
>>44015132
Stake trap. It launches steaks at the party when sprung.
Alternatively, have several traps that do meaningless things such as a glue trap, and the next one a chicken feather trap.
>>
Puzzle dungeon with vary obvious and tedious puzzles based entirely on gear nobody brought. Like a portcullis that can only be raised by inserting two 10 foot poles and using them to turn the capstan.

Rube goldberg machines that are needed to unlock treasure room requiring items like buckets to be hung on grappling hooks that fill and empty with water and rope to be strung along pullies. Pitons placed to control the flow of ball bearings in a pachinko machine and other madness The mechanism only works when all the items are in place and then inputs what amounts to a long form combination lock from the seemingly random actions of the combined devices controlling water flows and manipulating machines inside the walls.
>>
>>44007175
>Oh, you son of a bitch.

You say that. But, if there are enough ropes, there is an obvious solution:
- Assign the ropes into pairs of one floor rope, one ceiling rope, with the points they connect as close as possible.
- Untie one pair of ropes from the maguffin. Cutting them is also an option.
- Tie those two ropes together as taut as possible.
- Repeat for all the other pairs.
As long as the floor stays up while one pair is untied and you've got someone who can tie a decent knot you'll be good.

If there are only two ropes, I hope you brought some strong rope of your own to tie them together before you untie the maguffin. The floor should only slip by a small bit.

Now for how my players actually solved this trap when I threw it at them:
> Sci-fi campaign
> Structure floating in the atmosphere of a gas giant.
> Players cut one rope.
> Floor shifts a bit.
> Cut more ropes.
> More floor shifting.
> All but one player leaves room.
> Last player holds onto maguffin.
> Cuts remaining ropes.
> Floor falls away.
> Mad scramble back to their shuttle to catch the player with the maguffin while he's tumbling through the atmosphere.
>>
>>44014521

Try to pry up the platinum piece, its connected to a metal rod and the player hears an audible click. Oily copper pieces fall from the ceiling and make an ungodly noise and bludgeon the player lightly and cause them to slip about.

Its exactly 500 copper coins if anyone counts
>>
>>44015595
How much would 500 copper pieces weigh anyway cause i don't know if you've ever cleaned coins but part of the process is oiling them which actually makes them clump together. You might just be dropping a massive 300lb wad of copper on his head.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.