[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be forever GM >Your players are appreciative and excited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Do-It-For-Her.jpg (94 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Do-It-For-Her.jpg
94 KB, 500x375
>Be forever GM
>Your players are appreciative and excited about the game. They're having a good time and it makes it fun!
>Out of game, new work schedule has you exhausted and you're starting to run out of new ideas and are struggling to come up with enough content for each session.
>Each session hangs over your head the whole week while you try and keep up the quality of the game.
>Each time you think about quitting.
>Each time you are thanked for your effort and have some fun while you're actually running it.

I can't quit, /tg/, I can't do this to my players. I'll pull through because I always do, but in this moment I'm just so tired and creatively bankrupt.
>>
I've got your back, broseidon. Tell me what your campaign is about and we'll see what we can do.
>>
>>43995472
Dude, just take a break. It's better to go on hiatus for a bit before you burn out than it is to let your entire game crumble to nothing because you weren't willing to step back and take a breather.

Let somebody else try their hand at GM'ing for a bit, and take some time to catch a second wind. Your players sound like the good kind, they'll understand.
>>
>>43995472
Run something where the players have a lot of narrative power, give them a problem and let them solve it in new and interesting ways, especially if the players are competing with each other to solve their goals. They will create their own story, you just have to create the foundation for it to flow, and the bulk of the creative load is lifted from your shoulders.

As much as I fanboy this, Paranoia High Programmers is fantastic for just this reason. Small amount of set-up, different every time as your players feud and generally create the story themselves. If your players probably won't be up for it, I've also heard good things about Nobilis.

Just generally find a system that encourages the players to shape the story, and they'll have just as much fun, if not more.
>>
File: 1399224327684.jpg (41 KB, 258x389) Image search: [Google]
1399224327684.jpg
41 KB, 258x389
>>43995472
>"Hey guys, work and life in general are pretty harsh right now, and I've got a lot on my table, it's making it hard to continue DMing. Do you think one of you guys can run a game for a bit to give me time to create some content?"

Why is this question so god damn hard for /tg/ to ask? Not to trash on you, OP, it's a legitimate curiosity of mine. Why do you guys let yourselves be roped into ForeverDMing?

My group has an overabundance of DMs. We have our one who runs OD&D, one for AD&D, and one for a heavily homebrewed 4e, and I've got a pile of one-shots ready to go JUST IN CASE.

The system is beautiful. DM 1 runs until he has no more content/we finish a story arc, and then 2 takes over and runs his shit. Usually gets us around 3 solid months per campaign before switching depending on work and school loads. We don't get stressed out when we have to step back for a bit because we're working overtime or completing a thesis.
>>
>>43995472
Then run something with less planning on your part. Run one of those AP books or something for a campaign or two. Let those recharge your batteries if you don't want to quit DMing altogether.
>>
>>43995472
Just tell your players that you need some rest and ask if one of them will DM for a bit. If they are reasonable human beings, they will understand and one will step up.
That aside, tell us what you're working with and we might be able to throw some ideas your way.
>>
>>43995472
Take a break, GM.

If your players like you, they will understand.

And you will be able to have fun again aswell.
>>
>>43995472
Gonna sound bad but have you tried drinking? Hold judgement till the end please.
Try drinking. Take a break from the actual game and get to that nice level of drunk where it doesn't matter what it is you'll bang it but remember every detail drunk. Come up with ideas during this state. Any idea will do just attempt to write it down. Watch tv and/or listen to some music. believe it or not new and unique idea's will come pouring out in no time and then use the rest of the break to refine them in a sober state. Artists and musicians do this all the time because it not only reduces inhibitions but lets the mind wonder in new and unique ways it normally couldn't do.
>>
>>43995951
You might be lucky and never have run into it or your expectations for dm's is severely low but actually decent DM's are quite rare. It not only requires quick thinking, linear thinking, available freetine, and a good clear voice it also takes the ability to manage all of those during different times of your life. Sure ted might be able to make some shit up on the spot and can voice it out in a sufficiently ominous voice but his puzzles suck, his npc's are terrible and he never has time off work and between games to actually set up a proper story. OP might be the only decent DM among his group and maybe the others know it. I've had plenty of people refuse to play unless -insert DM name- isn't DMing because they know he's the only one who can do them right by it.
>>
>>43995472
Run sessions only half as often. Find some cool war games or board games to play on the other weeks. Or watch movies. Or run something less serious like Paranoia. Or have somebody else GM. Whatever it takes to give you a bit of breathing room between your sessions. Don't burn yourself out. You won't be doing anybody any favors.
>>
>>43995472
I'm in the same situation. Except I don't want to quit at all - I want to pull my shit together and prepare a session properly.

Actually, I should probably get on that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.