[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kids and Monsters Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 16
File: Monster.jpg (494 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Monster.jpg
494 KB, 750x750
You stare out the window wordlessly as the car pulls up to a red light. The radio music is the only sound filling the car this morning as your dad drives you to your new school. You'd hoped the move would give you a few days before you had to go back to school, but no such luck. As the light turns green and your new school comes into sight, you lean your head against the window and sigh.

“What's wrong sport?” Your father asks, noticing your sulky behavior.

“I don't want to go to school. I want to go back to Virginia.”

Your dad smiles sympathetically. “Aw, c'mon Jason, it's not so bad here in Ohio.”

“But all my friends are back in Virginia. I'm gonna be the only one here with no friends.” You complain.

“Just give it some time, I'm sure you'll make plenty of new friends.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.”

The car turns right and pulls into the school's car loop. Past a sign that reads “Lakeside Elementary School”. As you start to climb out of the car, your dad puts his hand up and smiles.

“Show em what you're made of, sport!”

You smile back weakly and give him a high five before he leaves. Throwing your backpack over your shoulders, you reluctantly head inside and start looking for your new classroom.
>>
Pedo quest is a go
>>
>>43990215
–-STUDENT ADMISSION FORM, PLEASE FILL OUT PRIOR TO ATTENDING---
Name: Jason Fisher
Grade: 4th

Please circle the appropriate option(s) in each column.

Excels in:
>Feet – You used to be the fastest kid in your class. No one could ever beat you in a footrace, and you were always the first pick when your friends made teams to play kickball. Your Feet stat represents your speed and agility.
>Guts – You were the toughest kid in your old class. No one could make you say “Uncle”, and almost nothing ever scares you. Your Guts stat represents your physical and mental fortitude.
>Hands – In Virginia, you were one of the strongest kids in your class. Bullies knew better than to pick a fight with you. Your Hands stat represents your physical strength as well as your manual dexterity.
>Brains – Whenever someone in your old class needed help with their homework, you were the first one they asked for help. Tests are a breeze and your grades are always great. Your Brains stat represents your intelligence and perception, and helps determine when you declare an action in combat.
>Face – The cool table at your old school had a spot with your name on it. You always had the most friends and gave the best insults when you needed to. Your Face stat represents your charisma.

Above average in (Select two of the following):
>Feet – While you weren't the fastest, you would usually come in second place in a race at your old school.
>Guts – You weren't the toughest kid at your old school, but you still don't afraid of anything. Usually.
>Hands – While not the strongest in your old class, you can still throw a mean punch.
>Brains – You still have to ask your dad for help on your homework sometimes, but usually you can get by in class without too much effort.
>Face – While you weren't the coolest kid in your class, you still had little trouble making friends back in Virginia.
>>
Performs poorly in:
>Feet – You've learned over the years that slow and steady actually doesn't win the race.
>Guts – You bruise fairly easily.
>Hands – You hit like a girl.
>Brains – You get really nervous when the teacher says there's going to be a test.
>Face – You prefer to read anyways.

Is very skilled in (Select one skill from the whole list. Skills are listed under the stat they belong to):
-Feet-
>Dodging – For getting out of the way. Sometimes it's better to block than dodge.
>Kicking – Remember to aim for the shins.
>P.E. - Running, jumping, climbing, etc. P.E. governs moving fast, Wind governs moving for long periods of time.

-Guts-
>Courage – For not getting scared.
>Wind – Health, breath, and fitness. Wind governs moving for long periods of time, P.E, governs moving fast.
>Wrestling – Grabbing someone and not letting go until he cries “Uncle”.

-Hands-
>Blocking – For stopping blows. Sometimes it's better to dodge than block.
>Punching – For when Billy won't stop calling your mom fat.
>Shop – Working with your hands. Governs actions that use your hands but don't fall under blocking or punching.

-Brains-
>Notice – For seeing and hearing things that aren't immediately obvious.
>Out-Think – For out-witting others. Helps determine when you declare an action in combat.
>Remembering – For remembering what the answer to question #5 is.

-Face-
>Charm – For persuading people and making friends.
>Connive – For lying and being sneaky
>Putdown – For telling Joey just how ugly his mom is.

Is moderately skilled in (Select two):
-Feet-
>Dodging
>Kicking
>P.E.

-Guts-
>Courage
>Wind
>Wrestling

-Hands-
>Blocking
>Punching
>Shop

-Brains-
>Notice
>Out-Think
>Remembering

-Face-
>Charm
>Connive
>Putdown

Is somewhat skilled in (Select two):
-Feet-
>Dodging
>Kicking
>P.E.

-Guts-
>Courage
>Wind
>Wrestling

-Hands-
>Blocking
>Punching
>Shop

-Brains-
>Notice
>Out-Think
>Remembering

-Face-
>Charm
>Connive
>Putdown
>>
>>43990259
>Hands
>Brains
>Face
>Feet
>Out-Think
>Punching
>Charm
>Dodging
>Blocking
>>
Excels in:
>Guts – You were the toughest kid in your old class. No one could make you say “Uncle”, and almost nothing ever scares you. Your Guts stat represents your physical and mental fortitude.
Above average in (Select two of the following):
>Hands – While not the strongest in your old class, you can still throw a mean punch.
>Feet – While you weren't the fastest, you would usually come in second place in a race at your old school.
Performs poorly in:
>>Face – You prefer to read anyways.
Is very skilled in (Select one skill from the whole list. Skills are listed under the stat they belong to):
>Wind – Health, breath, and fitness. Wind governs moving for long periods of time, P.E, governs moving fast.
Is moderately skilled in (Select two):
>P.E.
>Courage
Is somewhat skilled in (Select two):
>Punching
>Shop
>>
Gonna wait about 10 more minutes then I'll move on.
>>
>>43990507
Thissun
>>
>>43990507
Yeah why not.
>>
>>43990507
Looks fine to me. Though having poor Face is going to make it hard to make non-monster bonds.
>>
>>43990655
I just wanna be that weird kid in the back until some poor sap tries to pick on us
>>
>>43990655
Dude we get to have a monster friend. Ten year old me would trade whatever shitty friends I had back then for a monster friend.
>>
>>43990655
Super durable kid doesn't seem like it will go very far. All physical and with minor fighting and no friends means that we're pretty much trying to solo this. It's a bit risky as far as char-gen goes (so it'll either suck or be great).
>>
>>43990931
We got a monster dude.
>>
---Student Report Card---
Feet: 3
Dodging - 0
Kicking - 0
P.E. - 3

Guts: 4
Courage - 3
Wind - 4
Wrestling - 0

Hands: 3
Blocking - 0
Punching - 2
Shop - 2

Brains: 2
Notice - 0
Out-Think - 0
Remembering - 0

Face: 1
Charm - 0
Connive - 0
Putdown – 0

----------
You walk through the school's hallways with a map in hand. When you and your dad came here to register, they lady at the front office printed out this map for you and wrote down the number of your classroom.

“134, 134...” You repeat to yourself. This school is way bigger than you're used to, just like everything else in this city. The thought occurs to you that you could possibly leave school and pretend you just couldn't find your class, but you know your dad would be upset if you did that. You know he wouldn't buy your story anyways, dad always seems to know when you're lying.

“This school is way too big.” Someone complains. Besides you, however, the hallway is empty. The voice actually comes from one of the small pockets in your backpack, and belongs to the only friend you brought with you to Ohio. Well, maybe friend is a weird word for him. You've known him for as long as you can remember, but he's not like a normal friend. Really, normal isn't a very good word for him at all.

You stop for a second to check on your friend. Setting your backpack down, you open the small pouch on your backpack and peek inside.
>>
>>43991124
---Describe your friend---
>Humanoid – He looks like a person...sort of. He got the two arms, two legs bit down, but not a whole lot else. You doubt anyone would mistake him for a person if they saw him.
>Beast-like – Your friend walks on four legs and looks kind of like an animal. You doubt you'll ever find something at the zoo that looks like him though.
>Serpentine – Your friend looks kind of like a snake or an eel. His fangs are a lot bigger and sharper though.
>Insectoid – Your friend looks like some sort of giant bug. Except when he bites someone, it does more than just itch.
>Weird – Your friend doesn't really look much like anything you've seen before. You think he looks pretty cool though.
>Write-in – Your friend looks like _____. Bonus points for including a picture. Write-ins subject to QM approval.
>>
>>43991141
>Serpentine – Your friend looks kind of like a snake or an eel. His fangs are a lot bigger and sharper though.
>>
>>43991141
>>Weird – Your friend doesn't really look much like anything you've seen before. You think he looks pretty cool though.
>>
>>43991141
>Beast-like – Your friend walks on four legs and looks kind of like an animal. You doubt you'll ever find something at the zoo that looks like him though.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>43991141
1: Beast-like – Your friend walks on four legs and looks kind of like an animal. You doubt you'll ever find something at the zoo that looks like him though.
2: Serpentine – Your friend looks kind of like a snake or an eel. His fangs are a lot bigger and sharper though.

Can't decide. Go dice!
>>
>>43990215
>Ohio
RUN KID RUN
>>
>>43991141
>>Beast-like – Your friend walks on four legs and looks kind of like an animal. You doubt you'll ever find something at the zoo that looks like him though.
>>
>>43991141
>weird
>>
>>43991141
>insectoid
>>
>>43991141
>>
>>43991141
>>Serpentine – Your friend looks kind of like a snake or an eel. His fangs are a lot bigger and sharper though.

My group fell through for this earlier, I had a small loch ness monster as mine, and was the nerd of the group.

Definitely interested to see how this goes as an online campaign.
>>
>>43991141
Your friend walks on four legs and looks kind of like an animal. You doubt you'll ever find something at the zoo that looks like him though. As for what he can do...

>He's really strong, but he can't really do anything particularly fancy.
>He's pretty strong, and he knows a few cool tricks too.
>As far as monsters go, he's not all the strong. He does know some awesome tricks though.
>>
>>43991141

A dog* is a man's best friend!
*but dogs typically don't have 4 rows of teeth, 3 eyes, some spikes coming out of mange, or raptor feet. That just makes my dog better.
>>
File: 1373216698865.gif (941 KB, 398x223) Image search: [Google]
1373216698865.gif
941 KB, 398x223
>>43991450
>>He's pretty strong, and he knows a few cool tricks too.
>>
>>43991450
>>
>>43991450
>He's pretty strong, and he knows a few cool tricks too.
>>
>>43991450
Oh yeah, and specify if there's any sort of specific animal you want your monster to resemble.
>>
>>43991450
>He's really strong, but he can't really do anything particularly fancy.
Not specializing would be stupid.
>>
>>43991450
>>As far as monsters go, he's not all the strong. He does know some awesome tricks though.
>>
>>43991450

Also remember, whatever you do in this game, do not do drugs. You'll let the dog out
>>
File: Chimera01.png (4 MB, 2000x1633) Image search: [Google]
Chimera01.png
4 MB, 2000x1633
>>43991477
?
>>
>>43991477
Cockatrice!
>>
>>43991477
A dragon/Cerberus mix
>>
>>43991477
capybara
>>
>>43991477
Your Mom
>>
File: th.jpg (12 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
12 KB, 300x225
>>43991477
>>
File: Cerberus.jpg (31 KB, 275x355) Image search: [Google]
Cerberus.jpg
31 KB, 275x355
>>43991534
?
>>
>>43991591
close enough!
>>
Alright, I'm drawing up stats and writing the next update now. While I'm doing that, I guess I should just have an actual vote to decide.

>Dog
>Gorilla
>Chimera
>Cerberus
>Cockatrice
>Other
>>
>>43991637
>Dog
>>
>>43991637
>Cerberus
>>43991591
>>
>>43991637
>Cerberus
>>
>>43991637
>Gorilla
>>
>>43991637
>Cerberus
>>
>>43991637
>>Cerberus
>>
File: cerberus.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cerberus.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>>43991637
>Cerberus

All of you have good taste, I'm impressed.
>>
File: Cerberus_DDS_Concept_Artwork.jpg (82 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Cerberus_DDS_Concept_Artwork.jpg
82 KB, 1000x667
>>43991591
>>
>>43991748
Just tossing things out there.
>>
File: 1184091-cerberus3h.jpg (21 KB, 335x640) Image search: [Google]
1184091-cerberus3h.jpg
21 KB, 335x640
>>43991760
Forgot pic
>>
File: tumblr_mb4ftl74iA1ru8cggo1_1280.jpg (231 KB, 1280x989) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb4ftl74iA1ru8cggo1_1280.jpg
231 KB, 1280x989
I'm partial to this Cerberus design.
>>
>>43991637
>Cerberus

But leaning more towards the mundane
>Dog side of things.
>>
File: Megatherum_DB.jpg (97 KB, 733x1068) Image search: [Google]
Megatherum_DB.jpg
97 KB, 733x1068
>>43991637
Mega sloth
>>
---Monster sheet---
Name: Oscar
Favorite Thing: Dog Treats

Three heads – 8 dice. Extras – Attacks (Can attack with), Burn (Does one damage per turn unless put out)
Tough Body – 7 dice. Extras – Defends (Can block with), Tough x2 (Takes two less damage)
Sharp Claws – 7 dice. Extras – Attacks (Can attack with), Gnarly x2 (Does two extra damage)
Fanned Tail – 7 dice. Extras – Attacks (Can attack with), Wicked Fast x2 (Dice treated as two higher for speed)
Pointy Noses – 8 dice. Extras – Tough (Takes one less damage), Useful (Scent – Can detect and track both monsters and mundane creatures)

-------
When you open up the pouch on your bag, you find six beady eyes staring back at you. Your friend looks kind of like a really weird dog, with three heads and claws that almost look like knives. Right now he's small enough to fit inside your bag, but usually he's the size of a normal bear. He only gets this small when he's trying to hide.

This is your best friend, whom you've known all your life. You can't even remember when you met him, he says that's because he's been with you ever since you were a baby. He's been looking after you all your life, kind of like a guard dog, but your dad doesn't know he exists. Only one other person besides you knows he exists, and that was because he had a friend much like yours.

You call him Oscar, because that's what you would call your dog if you had one.

“I told you to stay at home.” You tell him, frustrated.

“I don't wanna, it's too boring when everyone's gone.” He argues. “Besides, you know I hate leaving you alone.”

You sigh. “Fine, whatever. Just stay in my bag unless I tell you to come out. The last thing I need is for you to bite someone on my first day here.”

“I only bite people when they deserve it!” Oscar defends.

“Or when they smell like cats.”

“...That was one time, okay?”
>>
>>43992465
“Once is still too much. Poor Mrs.Carter was in the hospital for a week.”

“Okay, fine. I'll stay in the bag.” Oscar finally concedes.

“Good boy” You tell him, giving one of his heads a pat before you zip up your bag.

-------
With your map, you manage to find Room 134 easily enough. Once you've found it, you fold up your map and put it back in your pocket, then head inside. It looks like the teacher isn't here right now, but most of the students are already sitting at their desks, talking to their friends or goofing around.

You see three places where you can sit. There's a spot in the front, next to a kid currently playing on his DS. In the middle, you see a seat open next to a bunch of kids that are talking and laughing amongst themselves. In the back, you find a lot of open seats, all of them next to a girl with long black hair and clothes that look like they haven't been washed in a long time. Something about her seems kind of...weird though, you can definitely understand why no one is sitting next to her.

>Sit in the front, next to the kid with the DS
>Sit in the middle, next to the laughing kids
>Sit in the back, next to the weird kid.
>>
>>43992487
>>Sit in the back, next to the weird kid.
>>
>>43992487
>back
>>
File: 1422612680316.png (31 KB, 149x152) Image search: [Google]
1422612680316.png
31 KB, 149x152
>>43992487

Let's see if she also has a [MONSTER]
>>
>>43992487
>>
>>43992487
>Sit in the front, next to the kid with the DS

I ain't about to be a casual.

Unrelated, but when Oscar talks do all the heads do equal talking or does one head talk? It could be relevant if the talking head is ever incapacitated.
>>
>>43992624
They all talk at once. Someone not familiar with monsters would find the sound of all three heads talking in unison a bit unsettling.
>>
>>43992624
I imagine he sounds like this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfL1s-W2ZbE
Skip to 2:30
>>
File: WeirdGirl.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
WeirdGirl.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
>>43992487
The teacher might call on you if you sit in the front and you'll look like a dork if you sit next to that big group of kids and don't say anything, so you decide you'll go sit in the back next to the weird girl.

The weird girl is sitting in the back corner of the classroom, on the side of the door. Both the seats next to, in front of, and adjacent to her are empty. Whether that's because the students that sit there aren't here yet or because no one wants to sit next to her, you're not quite sure. Regardless, you go ahead and take the seat next to her in the very back of the classroom.

A couple kids look in your direction when you sit there. Their expressions range from simple surprise to amused grins and, from what you can tell, worry.

If the girl has noticed you, then she doesn't show it. She looks down at her desk, not saying a word or even looking in your direction. Now that you're sitting close to her, you can tell that she smells really bad, like she just climbed out of a garbage can or something.

>This is awkward, try saying something
>Fine by you, pull out a book and read quietly
>This was a mistake, find another seat
>Holy crap this girl stinks! Tell her as much
>Other
>>
>>43992932
>>Fine by you, pull out a book and read quietly
>>
Gotta go take care of something, I'll count votes and start writing once I get back.
>>
>>43992932
>>
>>43992932
>>
>>43992775
I like Wolf's voice from Kindred on LoL better.
>>
>>43992932
>Ask her about her 「MONSTER」

It's clear that she has one, why beat around the bush?
>>
>>43993096
Because we have a minus in face
>>
>>43992932
>This was a mistake, find another seat

I mean, probably still in the back, but out of smell-range if possible.

Even if it's the point of the quest I don't want this to go full Madoka Magica and head down a grimdark alley where we end up beaten and without a kidney. At least until we know how some of this shit works.
>>
>>43992932
>>This was a mistake, find another seat

Red flag warnings
>>
Holy Sword that was a lot of chargen I missed.
>>
>>43993374
She has a monster and will be important, it's better to get to know her now.
>>
>>43992932

Make sure she glimpses our monster, she most likely talks to nobody so there's no risk of her telling. And if she has a monster as well we just boosted our social link.
>>
>>43992932
Honestly, if she doesn't want to talk then that's fine by you. To pass the time, you lean down and pull a book out of your backpack, and begin quietly reading while you wait for class to start.

The book is one your dad bought for you before you moved from Virginia. Titled "It Came From Beneath The Sink!", you started reading it out of curiosity since you used to see books from the same series in your library and at the book fair all the time. The story itself is really goofy, it's about an evil sponge with teeth and eyes that curses the family that finds it with bad luck. Despite the silly premise, it actually proves an alright way to pass the time, and while reading it you even pick up a couple words you didn't know before.

>+1 Remembering

Before too long, the teacher finally arrives. The teacher is a fat woman, with curly brown hair and glasses. She sets her bag down on her desk and addresses the class.

"Sorry about that class, the faculty meeting ran a little longer than I was expecting. Now, before everyone hands in their homework from last week, we have a new student with us today!" The teacher says, in that happy voice teachers always use. "Jason, would you like to stand up and tell us a little bit about yourself?"

>No thanks
>Tell the class your name and where you're from, nothing else
>Tell the class a little bit about yourself
>Other
>>
>>43993582
>>
>>43993582
>>Tell the class your name and where you're from, nothing else
>>
>>43993582
>>
>>43993582

With that shitty face stat I'd rather not press my luck.

and for those who have never heard of the book series "Goosebumps", have a youtube vid to pass the time while Sparks updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkZov2GEQcA
>>
>>43993582

With our face stat I don't trust ourselves to not drop our spaghetti.
>>
>>43993444
Thats not how monsters work. Someone with a monster shouldn't be inherently detectable by anyone but our monster. The fact that everyone thinks shes weird suggests shes either cripplingly poor or a weird child, the latter of which are incredibly dangerous and might or might not be from the same driving force that drives monsters.
>>
>>43993582
>>
>>43993744
Ok, I'm out of the loop. Where are people getting these ideas of monsters? Is there a canon I have wholly neglected as I've been voting?
>>
>>43993794
I've been assuming they function similar to Stands since Oscar has said he's been with us ever since we were born.
>>
>>43993794
This is based on a tabletop game. Thats the extent of my knowledge.
>>
>>43993794
They're powergaming without reading the canon to actually powergame properly with. All monsters have some way to hide, whether its to get small, to be anti-memetic, or to hide on or in someones body (tattoo camouflage is a common one). However, monsters usually dislike other monsters, and will identify the nearby presence of one almost immediately, although usually not with high precision. In addition, there are people without monsters with monster like powers, however they almost always come with an addition of acting weird or being overtly weird to everyone around them. Think super man with a side of autism, or those two twins from the avengers.

Monsters also don't obey physics. They can be perfectly comfortable in the plains of Ohio, the wastelands of detroit, or 1000 feet under the Polar ice sheet. They shrug off bullets and pretty much anything except other monsters and... oddly enough, children with monsters or weird children.

I have the PDF somewhere on my computer if you all want to harass me for it. But I don't want to spoil too much. In fact, I really don't know any of the backstory, just facts about the monsters and such. Also about what happens if you, as a monster possessing person, use drugs or alcohol

You thought I was actually going to tell you didn't you
>>
>>43993582
You do what the teacher says, and stand up so everyone can see you.

"My name is Jason Fisher. I moved here from Virginia." You tell them. You don't elaborate on why you moved here or anything else, just your name and where you're from, then you sit down.

"Oh, Virginia? That explains the accent then. Well, welcome to Greensville, let's all have a round of applause for our new classmate Jason!" The teacher says.

The class claps, just as the teacher told them to. The girl next to you does not clap, nor do a few other students you see sitting closer to the front.

"Alright then. Now, everyone pass your worksheets to the front of the class and I'll collect them. Once I have them all we'll go over the answers and see how everyone did. Jason, you should pay attention to this too."

>Brains (2)+Remembering (1) roll. Roll 3d10, taking best of first three rolls. You are aiming for matches.
>>
Rolled 7, 6, 6 = 19 (3d10)

>>43994148
>>
>>43993913
>Also about what happens if you, as a monster possessing person, use drugs or alcohol
The PDF says something about that? I'm going to have to look through it and find that then.
>>
Rolled 4, 10, 3 = 17 (3d10)

>>43994148
>>
>>43994148
>You are aiming for matches.
>>43994163

Mother fucker
>>
Rolled 3, 7, 8 = 18 (3d10)

>>43994148
Alright!
>>
Rolled 6, 7, 4 = 17 (3d10)

>>43994148

Captcha says milkshakes GO!
>>
Rolled 3, 4, 9 = 16 (3d10)

>>43994165>>43994148

Also, there is width and length of dice rolls. 2 tens is great if you are throwing a punch or a rock. However four fives is better if you're trying to run away from something or block a punch.
>>
>>43994224
Yeah I know. Amount of matches represents how good you do, and the actual number on the dice represents how fast you do it.

Anyways though, writing.
>>
>>43994163
>We almost wrote the secrets of good and evil on our test

Damn it Satan.
>>
>>43994295
I was mainly sharing for everyone elses sake, as most of the rest of the people here are unfamiliar with the mechanics and lore. Makes your job easier.
>>
File: 15.png (240 KB, 431x527) Image search: [Google]
15.png
240 KB, 431x527
>>43994327
>>
>>43994148
>2x6, Success!

The lesson isn't too hard to follow. You think you already learned this before you left Virginia, actually. Good thing too, because at some point the teacher calls on you to answer one of the questions.

"17?" You answer, hoping you got it right.

"Very good Jason! They must have had good teachers in Virginia." The teacher responds.

You breath a sigh of relief. For a second you thought you were going to look like an idiot in front of the whole class.

The lesson continues for a while longer, before the teacher looks at the clock and sets her marker down.

"Okay everyone, it's time for lunch. Everyone line up at the door, single file please!"

Everyone gets up from their seats and starts lining up at the door. Most leave their backpacks at their seats, but a few bring theirs with them, you included. Oscar would have a fit if you left him in the classroom while you went to lunch.

The teacher leads the way out to the cafeteria, located in a separate building adjacent to the main school building. The class files inside and buys their food from the lunch ladies one at a time. When it comes your turn, you fish out the lunch money your dad gave you prior to leaving the house and grab a tray with chocolate milk, some chicken tenders, a roll, and some applesauce.
>>
>>43994634
Once you have your food, you look around the cafeteria for a place to sit. You see two of the kids that were laughing this morning sitting next to their friends, there's an empty seat close to them. You also see the kid with the DS sitting at a table by himself, eating while he plays his game. Someone from the table behind him throws an empty milk carton at his head, and the table giggles at his expense. The kid rolls his eyes, but says nothing. Meanwhile, the weird girl you're sitting next to exits the cafeteria with her food. None of the teachers seem to notice her as she slips out, they seem to be too busy managing their own stuff to notice. You might be able to slip out too, if you wanted to. Alternatively, there are still a few empty tables you could sit at by yourself.

>Sit next to the friendly group of kids.
>Sit next to the kid with the DS.
>Follow the weird girl, where is she going?
>Slip outside and eat on your own, it's too loud in here anyways.
>Find an empty table and sit by yourself
>>
>>43994650
>>
>>43994650
>>Sit next to the kid with the DS.

He playing anything good?
>>
You said we are 10 and in grade four.
Did we fail two grades or are we actually 8?
>>
>>43994650
>>Slip outside and eat on your own, it's too loud in here anyways.

also is this from Monsters and Other Childish Things?
>>
>>43994737
May be the difference between UK and American.
Age 5-6 Kindergarten
6-7 1st Grade
7-8 2nd Grade
8-9 3rd Grade
9-10 4th Grade...etc.
>>
>>43994737
No, you haven't been held back but you are 10. Typical age of a 4th grader in the U.S. is 9 or 10 years old.
>>
>>43994650
>>Sit next to the kid with the DS.
>>
>>43994762
Brits start school two years late?
That explains how the labor party got elected.
>>
>>43994650

See >>43992624
>>
Forgot to answer,

>>43994750
Yeah, this quest is based off of MaOCT. Monsters and Other Childish Things Quest sounded to long and unwieldy though.
>>
>>43994792
>>43994789
Nevermind I just misremembered.
Fuck that was so long ago.
>>
>>43994650
>Sit next to the kid with the DS
>>
>>43994650
You decide to go sit next to the kid with the DS. Sitting by yourself would just be lame, and you would feel weird just sitting down at the other kids' table when you don't know any of them. Besides, you're kind of curious to see what he's playing.

You take a seat across the DS kid. He looks up from his game to look at you curiously.

"What do you want?" He asks cautiously.

"I just needed a place to sit." You tell him honestly. "Uh...What game are you playing?"

The kid Lays his DS on the table so you can see the screen. It looks like he's playing Pokemon.

"Oh, Pokemon?" You ask.

He nods. "Yeah. I was just about to beat the game."

"Wait, you've almost beat the game?" You ask, surprised. You never could finish any of the Pokemon games, you'd get pretty far and then just lose interest most of the time.

"Yeah. It's not that hard, you just have to level up your best pokemon a lot."

You take a closer look at the screen. It looks like he's in the middle of a battle, fighting some pokemon you don't recognize with a Charizard. You notice his Charizard is at level 93.

"Wow, you must play this game a lot." You say, genuinely impressed.

"Yeah." The kids says, seemingly starting to warm up a little. "I usually-"

His sentence is cut off when a milk carton suddenly hits you in the head. This one, however, is still half full, and spills some of it's contents onto your clothes. The table next to yours roars with laughter at your expense.

>Throw something back
>Demand to know who threw that
>Let it go. There's more of them then there are of you.
>Flag down a teacher
>Other
>>
>>43995110
>>Throw something back
Milk war now
>>
>>43995110
>Throw something back
Take our food off the tray and throw the tray at them.
>>
>>43995110
>Throw something back
Fuck it. Give a shit eating grin when you do it too.
>>
>>43995110
I think I remember why they don't serve sodas in cafeterias now. soda grenades are pretty devastating.
>Throw something back
>>
>>43995170
my middle school was a war zone before they took away the vending machines.

Also the little shits that would sneak up and drop a mentos in your fucking soda. Thought that was funny
>>
>>43995110
>Throw something back
But specifically the applesauce. If it's one of those weird schools who don't serve sealed cups of apple sauce, milk carton.
>>
>>43995110
>"Yeah. It's not that hard, you just have to level up your best pokemon a lot."
Hope you have some ethers when you get to the Elite Four kiddo. I made the same mistake when I first played Blue/Red too.
>>
>>43995110
>he's a charizard kid
Abort friendship attempt
>>
>>43995252
>ethers
Same, well it was yellow but still.
>>
Who Blastoise here?
>>
>>43995110
Truth be told, you're not a very violent kid. You tend to be fairly quiet unless you're around friends, but you are by no means meek, and you are not going to sit there and do nothing after someone threw milk at you.

You grab the unopened cup of applesauce on your tray and peel the lid off. While the jerks at the next table are still laughing, you turn and throw your applesauce back at them.

>Hands (3)+Shop (2) roll! Roll 5d10, best of three.
>>
Rolled 8, 7, 10, 5, 7 = 37 (5d10)

>>43995321
>>
File: 1355446514276.gif (437 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1355446514276.gif
437 KB, 500x500
Rolled 7, 2, 4, 6, 2 = 21 (5d10)

>>43995321
>>
>>43995277
>>43995305
>Asstoise
>Bulbasore
ftfy
>>
Rolled 9, 2, 6, 4, 8 = 29 (5d10)

>>43995321
>>
>>43995321
>2x7 - Success!

You throw the cup of applesauce at one of the kids at the next table. It hits one of them, a fat kid with short black hair, right in the face. The applesauce spills all over his face, sliding down and messing up his shirt as well. The laughing at the next table stops almost immediately. Looking closely, you notice his tray does not have a carton of milk on it.

"Why you...!" The fat kid says, seething in anger. He reaches over to another kid's tray and grabs a half-eaten cup of applesauce, then throws it back at you.

>>Chose one of the following:
>Block - Use your tray to block the applesauce. You'll lose the rest of your lunch, but it won't hit anyone else.
>Dodge - Duck to avoid the applesauce. You'll keep your lunch, but that applesauce is going to hit someone...
>>
>>43995462
>>Block - Use your tray to block the applesauce. You'll lose the rest of your lunch, but it won't hit anyone else.

WE WILL BE A WALL THAT NEVER FALLS
>>
>>43995462
>Block - Use your tray to block the applesauce. You'll lose the rest of your lunch, but it won't hit anyone else.

After that turn to the guy next to us.
"You might want to pocket that DS, just in case."

Applesauce on a handheld would fucking suck. Sticky as shit for god knows how long.
>>
>>43995462
Block if DS kid is behind us
Is DS kid behind us?
>>
>>43995495
>Sticky as shit for god knows how long.
8 years and counting
>>
>>43995502
The DS kid is behind you, yes. He'll get his own chance to dodge though if you dodge, and if he does then it'll hit the uninvolved table behind him.
>>
>>43995520
>>43995502
Oh wait, no I take that back. The jerk kids' table is behind him, and you're sitting across from him, so he's actually in front of you. The applesauce is aimed directly at you though, so if you dodge it'll just hit the kids behind you.
>>
>>43995495
>>43995507
>not knowing how to clean your DS
>being that kid who had a smudgy as fuck bottom screen
>>
>>43995536
It was my SP I got the DS a little after that so I just never bothered
>>
>>43995462
You dump out the food on your tray, and hold your tray up to block the incoming applesauce. Your lunch is now ruined, but the kids behind you won't be getting hit at least.

>Hands (3)+Blocking (0) Roll. Roll 3d10, best of three.
>>
>>43995462
>Dodge - Duck to avoid the applesauce. You'll keep your lunch, but that applesauce is going to hit someone...
Food fight! food fight!
>>
Rolled 4, 2, 10 = 16 (3d10)

>>43995560
>>
Rolled 5, 7, 9 = 21 (3d10)

>>43995560
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 10 = 17 (3d10)

>>43995560
>>
i'm doing the math, and holy sword each die means a lot to the chance of success.

This is a pretty cool system
>>
>>43995560
>1x10 - Partial Success

You pull your tray up quickly, but you fail to position it quite right. The cup of applesauce hits the top of your tray, sending some of the applesauce splashing onto your hair, but the cup itself and most of the applesauce hits the tray rather than you.

The rest of the fat kid's table starts to reach for something they can throw as well, when one of the teachers come running to stop the food fighting.

"What is going on here?!" Your teacher demands angrily. Quickly, the other kids let go of their food, pretending they were uninvolved. You and the fat kid, of course, aren't able to pretend you weren't involved, since both of you are covered in food right now.

"He started it!" The fat kid lies.

"I did not, you threw food first!" You shout back.

"Both of you, to the principal's office, now!" The teacher says angrily, cutting off your argument.
>>
>>43995989
-------
You and the fat kid are taken to the principal's office immediately. Currently, you are seated in an empty office while the principal and the fat kid talk in the next room. Apparently, he wants to separate the two of you so he can get your stories individually.

"This sucks." You complain. The zipper to the small pocket of your backpack starts to unzip itself, and Oscar pokes one of his heads through.

"Yeah, this does suck." Oscar agrees.

You groan. "First day of school, and I'm already in trouble. Dad is going to flip."

"Well, fatty did start it. Just tell him he threw the first milk, dad will understand."

"I hope so."

"In any case, you've got bigger problems here than some fat kid that likes to throw food." Oscar says, poking his two other heads through the hole now.

"What do you mean?" You ask, confused.

"I'm sniffing a lot of monsters in that class of yours. Probably five of them or so."

"Wait, five of them? Are you sure?"

"Positive, my noses never lie."

"Okay, well which of the kids in my class have them?" You ask. Besides Oscar, you've only seen two other monsters back in Virginia. One of them belonged to a friend of yours, the other didn't have a kid and tried to eat you (though that one was taken care of by Oscar). Hearing that there are five monsters in your class makes you both curious and cautious.

"Well, one of them is with that kid you were hanging around during lunch. Another was with some girl at the table that fat kid was sitting at. Two of them are with a couple kids you never really messed with, and the last one is that weirdo you're sitting next to in class, though she's a bit...different."

"Wait, the kid with the DS has a monster? And what do you mean by 'different'?"

"I mean that girl is a Weirdkid."

"I know she's weird, what about her monster?"

"No, no, not a 'weird kid' like two words, I mean 'Weirdkid' as in one word."

You raise an eyebrow in confusion. "What's a Weirdkid?"
>>
>>43996000
"They're kids that got possessed by one of the Weird. The Weird are monster like me, except they're small and can't fight on their own. They still need a kid to live in this world though, so they climb in their ears and give them all these powers so they can fight like me. It makes the kid really weird though, the stronger they get the easier it is to spot that something's not right about them."

"Soooo, you're saying that girl IS a monster?"

"Not entirely, but she can fight as good as one. If I were you I'd change seats soon as you can, if not to keep your distance than so I don't have to smell that girl anymore."

You think about what Oscar's said. It sounds like life here at your new school is going to be a lot more complicated than you originally thought.

"...Hang on a second, how could you see who has monsters if your were in my bag all day."

Oscars head stiffen as he realizes he's been caught. "Uh...well, I might have peeked out just a little bit. Just to see where those smells were coming from, you know?"

You're about to get onto Oscar for not staying in your bag like he promised, but it's around now that the principal comes in and says it's your turn to talk.

------
After the principal hears your story, he decides to let you off just this once with only a warning. You still end up getting a long lecture from him though. Once the principal is finished, he sends you back to class. Apparently, classes here have recess right after lunch here, so you head out to the playground and find your class there.

Recess is already halfway over, but you can still have fun while you're here. Alternatively, you could go check out the other kids Oscar said had monsters, see what you can learn about them.

>Find the DS kid, talk to him.
>Look for the weird girl, see what she's doing.
>Look for the girl from that group of jerks.
>Look for the two other kids Oscar mentioned were here.
>Just go play and have fun. That sort of stuff can wait.
>Other
>>
>>43996015
DS kid
>>
>>43996015
>food. hungry.
>>
>>43996015
>>>Find the DS kid, talk to him.
>>
File: DSKid.jpg (311 KB, 850x575) Image search: [Google]
DSKid.jpg
311 KB, 850x575
>>43996015
You figure you should go find the DS kid, talk to him. He didn't seem like a bad person, so you don't think you'll have to worry about him attacking you with his monster.

You find him sitting under a tree in the playground's field. He looks up from his DS when he notices you approaching.

"You didn't get in trouble, did you?" He asks.

"No. The principal gave me a lecture, but that's it."

"Oh. Well, that's good. Sorry you got dragged into that, by the way."

"Dragged in? Dragged into what?" You ask.

"Those guys were Charlotte's friends. She likes to pick on me, so her goons take any chance they can to mess with me. They probably only threw milk at you because you were sitting next to me."

>"Why do you let them pick on you? You have a monster, why not fight back?"
>"You really should get one of the teachers then. How long have they been picking on you?"
>"Yeah, well, that fat kid certainly learned his lesson."
>"Why not just punch them if they keep messing with you? You can't just let them keep messing with, you should do something about it."
>Other
>>
>>43996176
>>"Yeah, well, that fat kid certainly learned his lesson."
>>
>>43996176
But
>"Why do you let them pick on you? You have a monster, why not fight back?"
>>
>>43996176
gotta keep our monster hidden
who's betting the charizard is the manifestation of his monster
>>
>>43996176
Is this the "she likes you" kind of pick on you, or the "she hates you" kind?
>>
>>43996176
"Yeah, well, that fat kid certainly learned his lesson."

The kid laughs. "Yeah, I guess he did, didn't he?"

You both laugh a bit at the fat kids expense. Just then, you feel your stomach start to rumble, reminding you what you sacrificed to get back at the fat kid.

"Man, I wish I hadn't lost all my food though." You admit

The DS kids snaps his fingers like he just remembered something. "Oh yeah, that's right! I didn't eat my sandwich at lunch today, but I held on to it since I thought you might want it."

The kid reaches into his backpack and pulls out a packaged peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He offers it to you, and you accept.

"Dang, thanks...uh..." It occurs to you that you don't know this kid's name.

"Tyler." The kid says. "And not problem, I thought it was the least I could do.

>Relationship die earned!
>Relationship dice represent friendships and close bonds you make with other people. They give you a pool of dice that can be added to any roll to help you succeed, so long as the subject of your relationship is somehow related (For example, you might use relationship dice you have with your father on a roll to pass a test, since you want to get a good grade and make your dad proud.)
>Be careful! If you fail a roll while using relationship dice, you lose one of those dice until you do something to strengthen your bonds with that person. Monsters can use your relationship dice as well, but if they fail a roll while using some of your relationship dice, you lose all the dice that you shared with him until you strengthen your bond with that person.

>>Current Relationship dice:
>Dad: 3
>Tyler: 1
>>
>>43996456
For the rest of recess, you and Tyler sit by the tree and hang out. You see him successfully defeat the Elite Four, and then he lets you play for a bit. When you head back inside, the teacher begins teaching another subject, this time English. You take your seat next to the weird girl again, though you wonder if tomorrow you should pick a different seat.

As you're sitting there listening to the lesson, a crumpled up piece of paper falls near your desk. You look up and see the fat kid from earlier, along with about four other kids are looking at you.

Leaning down, you pick up the crumpled ball of paper and open it up. Inside, you find a crudely drawn picture of you, with buck teeth and a big head, covered in milk. The kids start chuckling once they see you've opened it, but try to keep it down so the teacher doesn't notice.

>Raise your hand, show the teacher the drawing.
>Draw something on another piece of paper and throw it at the fat kid.
>Ignore them, you have a lesson to focus on and you don't want to risk getting in trouble again today.
>Let Oscar out of you bag, let him do something sneaky to get back at those kids.
>Other
>>
>>43996461
>>Other
Critic it and give him tips on how to both improve his art and be more insulting, throw it back
>>
>>43996461

>Ignore them, you have a lesson to focus on and you don't want to risk getting in trouble again today.

For now anyway. We can get back at them later.

Alternatively, I *guess* we could snitch. They already got us in trouble once, right?
>>
>>43996461
>participate in class, get more focus on yourself and let them get themselves caught
>>
>>43996461
>>
>>43996461
You ignore them for now. You already got in trouble once today, you're not going to get in trouble again over something stupid.

They throw two other crumpled up notes like the last one, but you don't even bother reading them. They try throwing a third one, but the kid throwing it aims too far to the left and ends up accidentally hitting the weird girl next to you in the head. The girl looks at the crumpled piece of paper on her desk, looks up at the the kids that threw it, and the grins on their faces immediately disappear. They all turn around immediately, and do not throw anything else at you for the rest of class.

Seems like they're scared of her.

Finally, the school day comes to an end and everyone is allowed to leave. Some of the kids start heading towards the bus loop, others go to fetch their bikes from the bike rack outside. Meanwhile, you grab your bag and head for the car loop, to wait for your dad.

You don't have to wait very long. Your dad is one of the first adults to pull into the car loop. Once his car reaches the front of the line, you open the door and climb inside, setting your bag in the back seat.

"So, how was your first day of school? Anything interesting happen?" He asks.

>"It was good. I made a new friend today."
>"It sucked. I got in trouble for throwing food today."
>"Some kids started picking on me. I got them back, but still."
>"There's this kid that sits next to me, she looks really weird and she smells really bad. I wish I picked a better seat."
>Other
>>
>>43996672
>>"It was good. I got in trouble for throwing food today."
It was a good throw
>>
>>43996672
>>"It was good. I made a new friend today."
>>
>>43996672
>Mixed results. Got praised in class, got in a food fight, made a friend.
This quest seems cool sparks, don't know why there are so few players right now.
>>
>>43996672
"It was good. I made a new friend today."

"Did you now?" Your dad says, smiling. "See, I told you that you'd start making new friends here."

You decide against telling him about what happened in the cafeteria. Your dad has a lot on his mind already, you don't want to throw that in there too.

"Next time you see your friend, ask him for his parents' phone number. Maybe you two could hang out sometime after school."

You tell him you will. Tomorrow, you'll probably need to learn more about the other kids with monsters too, figure out if they'll be a threat or not. Oscar said one of the monsters he smelt was with a girl in that group that was picking on you and Tyler today, you might need to learn more about her in particular since you've already gotten on her bad side.

Five monsters, at least one of which belongs to a kid that probably hates you now. Something tells you this year is going to be pretty rough.
>>
>"It was good. I made a new friend today."
>>
>>43996886
I see I was not direct enough with how I modified the choice.
>>
Alright, it's getting late and I believe most of the players are asleep by now, so I'm going to call it a night here. I'll be running this quest again on Tuesday unless something gets in the way, and this Friday I'll be running HSQ. Keep an eye on my twitter in case anything changes.

I'll stick around a bit to answer questions if anyone has them. Thanks for playing folks, hope to see you all again next thread.

Oh yeah, and since I didn't list them at the start of the thread:
QM's twitter: @sparkthetgqm
Ask.fm: ask.fm/sparksqm
>>
>>43996910
Oh, shit. I just read the part that said "It was good" and counted it as a normal vote. My bad anon.
>>
>>43996931
'scool
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.