[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any DnD lite games simple enough that I could indoctrinate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1444327266204.jpg (89 KB, 600x491) Image search: [Google]
1444327266204.jpg
89 KB, 600x491
Are there any DnD lite games simple enough that I could indoctrinate my intellectually above average 9 year old sister with? All she plays is normal stuff like Catan and Ticket to ride
>>
>>43990000
DnD is light enough that you can have 9 years old play it, just dont go too heavy on dice rolling.
>>
>>43990000
D&D 5E should be easy-peezy for a 9-year old. Even my buddy's 6-year old manages it.
>>
>>43990054
>>43990030
But I want her to understand the rules. Moreover, I don't live in the same household as her. My mom and stepfather would need to be able to play it with her.
>>
Everyone is John is the quintessential role playing entry point for scrubs.
>>
>>43990000
Tavern Tales (taverntalesrpg.com) is a really good intro into fantasy tabletop rpgs. Even better, it's free.
>>
>>43990644
Its gonna be her first game, right? No one understands ALL the rules the first time they play a game, take it easy and it'll be fine. IF you want to make it even easier then give her a pre-made character, ask her what she wants and make it or something.
>>
>>43990000
Try Dungeon World.
>>
File: Labarynth Lord.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Labarynth Lord.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Basic D&D, or some retroclone. They're all pretty similar, but Lamentations of the Flame Princess might not be appropriate for 9 year olds
>>
>>43990000
First, nice quads

Second, I hear Mouse Guard is good.
>>
gurps

you said above average
>>
I like Tracy Hickman's XD20. It's ridiculously simple, and I have used it to introduce rping to teenagers. The DM picks an appropriate difficulty, and you roll. That's the whole thing.

If you want a bit more structure, I've used this expansion of XD20 for a campaign:

Damn, it thinks the link is spam. Google the phrase "Here's a d20 adventure game" and you'll find it.
>>
>>43990000

Disney Villains Victorious might be a good one.
>>
>>43990000
I started playing D&D at 9 years old, the party was me, my dad and sister, and the GM's daughter (my dad's old college buddy).

Instead of having us memorize the rules, it was played more narratively, with the DM taking care of most of the rolling and rules. The rules were there, but most of it was taken care of on his side, so we would explain what we wanted to do (open a door, gather information, etc) and he would handle it.

You don't need a rules light version, you just need to go lighter on the rules. As long as she's playing, and YOU know what you're doing, then she'll pick it up quickly. Also some advice, give her the ability to talk to animals. My character had that ability and it made the game really fun because kids love that shit, and it's also a really good way of keeping the game on your rails for kids because if things get too hard or complicated they can start talking to critters for help, disney style.
>>
>>43991318
Is that even a real system by now, though? I was only in the first three threads and all I can remember was fluff
>>
File: OldSchoolHack_v1beta.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
OldSchoolHack_v1beta.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43990000
Nice quads. Here is your reward.

>>43991424
This could also work pretty well. One of my old DMs started playing 1st Edition when he was about her age.
>>
>>43991490
Not the guy who suggested it, but yes the system is real and good. I use it for my games, and my friend is using it for 8 Bit Dystopia.
>>
>>43990000
You can always try D&D 5E and see if it works.
>>
File: Alexandrov fancy schmancy.png (12 KB, 280x704) Image search: [Google]
Alexandrov fancy schmancy.png
12 KB, 280x704
>>43990000
Me and my friends wanted to play DnD but we're too lazy to learn the rules so we just made our own "system". Each character gets standard skills, distribute a set amount of points between them (like in Fallout basically). Rolling is basically like this - for any given situation, DM figures out what makes most sense to roll for, and tells you to roll out of 12. Relative success is partially based on that and partially based on DM fudging as needed.

Then everything else is basically just playing. Leveling up is arbitrary (usually as a reward for doing a series of missions, being good, or having played for a certain amount of time), and awards you some points to distribute among skills.

Doesn't need to be more complex than that.
>>
>>43994930
i second this, 5e is basic enough that i think a 9 year old could play it.

you don't need too much math, just proficiency: yes or no? + whatever relevant stat, and you need to know advantage means roll 2d20 and take highest, disadvantage the same but lowest.

otherwise if you help them fill in their character its all good. but even that is simple. just pick a race, class, and then assign stats via standard array (you can make them pick best stat to worst stat and fill it out for them). you pick a background which gives you 2 skills, and most classes you only need to pick 2 more, which i think a 9 year old can understand that concept.

you might want to make a simpler character sheet with less extraneous (though useful) information on it. theres some good examples of for kids character sheets out there you could modify.
>>
>gang_rape.pdf
>>
>>43990000
Microlite 20 or Seekers of the Unknown. Main rules fit on a page or two tops, then you just need statlines for monsters and things.
>>
>>43990000
Mouseguard, it even gives instructions on how to not be a shit GM or Player.
>>
I heard there were specialty modified versions of 4e for kids
>>
>>43995593
Yeah

It's called 4e
>>
If your sister likes Mario games, then https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG is probably perfect. It's 2 parts Paper Mario to one part every other mario game.
>>
>>43990000
Is there a reason you can not do a weekly game with her? A good consistent first game is really good to have don't try to dump it on her parents to do.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.