[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure these will fly off the shelves!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: varangur.png (491 KB, 955x602) Image search: [Google]
varangur.png
491 KB, 955x602
I'm sure these will fly off the shelves!
>>
Wow those models are jewel-like... full of wonder
>>
Very overthetop and fitting of AoS' "MUCH higher fantasy than WHFB" theme going on.

Though I do still wish they did WHFB for my low fantasy cravings.
>>
>>43988434
>>43988434
Weird horses.
>>
>>43988434
>200 dollarydoos
>>
I am not sure I stand with GW's pricing on AoS stuff. Sure it's among the most detailed stuff they have made, but still...right now as a newbie to fantasy I am doing WHFB till enough stuff gets released for AoS to where it doesn't feel so new, but idk it's gonna be hard doing AoS with an army possibly costing me in the upper range of 100s closer to a thousand dollars. Even my entirely Forgeworld 30k armies which are both 2.5k points don't cost that much.
>>
>>43988587
Stop playing already you goddamn abuse victim. They didn't even release a fucking ruleset for the game this time around.
>>
>>43988434
Those models are perfectly manufactured, literally state-of-the-art Scibor-tier. Too bad they are ugly and more expensive than Scibor.
>>
File: GVzyjC3.jpg (43 KB, 540x880) Image search: [Google]
GVzyjC3.jpg
43 KB, 540x880
>>43988527
>WHFB/AoS
>>
>>43988604
I haven't played WHFB yet. Only painting a Daemon Prince and Un'Gor Raider crew right now. Though now idk if I wanna get more Beastmen since End Times rules aren't loved by many.
>>
>>43988575
Crumbs, that's huge even if it's the Oz price being listed.
>>
>>43988746
twice the price of dragon ogres and juggernauts

almost four times the price of regular chaos knights

I could almost see myself buying ONE to use as a plastic undecided lord on daemonic steed, but not at that price.
>>
>>43988434
The price is criminal.

That being said, that top one is pure sex, that fucking awesome sword stance.
I'd replace the head, but I just have a preference for closed-face helmets.
>>
>>43988434
Premium Price(tm) for Premium Products(tm).
>>
You know, with the pricing of AoS I also wonder: is this game meant to be played at a smaller scale than their other wargames? A more Warcraft 3 style game with heavier RPG elements rather than straight tactics?

If so I wouldn't mind. 40k is right now stuck between wanting to still do cool armies and running big cool units. I can do 30k for larger armies/movement tactics, and then AoS for running smaller number of big cool units.
>>
>>43988434
>yeah, they're okay, far too much detail though, they look messy, still though, might get some for that proj-
see price
>WHAT FUCK
>>
>>43989078
pretty much AOS is played on a smaller scale with games usually being played with 20 or 30 models.
>>
>>43988434
At that price, you can buy way better sculpts than this shit.
>>
>>43989192
Really? Like where? They seem to have a lot of detail to them. Enlighten me please I am new to TT wargaming.
>>
File: BukkakeBot.jpg (280 KB, 1054x1080) Image search: [Google]
BukkakeBot.jpg
280 KB, 1054x1080
>>43988527

Citadel sculptors never really got the hang of equines. (Only their canine animals look worse.) These new cav are awful, though. I suspect giving CAD terminals to hourly Citadel employees has let them milk each "brief" until they're caught malingering and stopped. Each new fig seems smothered in stupid deep layers of overwrought detail.

The photos make them seem like industry showcases made for trade magazine distribution, cos they don't look like they were created to please hobbyists.

YMMV
>>
>>43988434
And all I want is that warhammer for my chaos lord/sorcerer...
>>
File: desu dance 9000.gif (3 MB, 200x155) Image search: [Google]
desu dance 9000.gif
3 MB, 200x155
>>43988575

>1 poond, shilling and thrupence

Poor-mericans really need to be back the fuck up before they get smacked the fuck up.
>>
File: 1qfwZyT.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1qfwZyT.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
>>43988434

>GW

More like JW

>Jew's Workshop
>>
File: Empire_1_.jpg (198 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Empire_1_.jpg
198 KB, 800x534
>>43988434
So not only are we playing 3 or 4 times as much for the new Chaos Knights, but we're getting less of them per box.

I swear to god, GW is just seeing what they can get away with. For $200 you could buy the starter set for AoS.

I'm kinda glad the Empire is dead, because I hate to see what the prices for their new models are gonna be like. Probably $300 for two state troopers and a broken skull
>>
>>43988434
This is in Aussieland dollars though.

Not saying they aren't the worst priced models GW has ever released, but they aren't THAT much.
>>
>>43988914
>>43989562

MUH DETAIL. MUH WYKKED EXXXTREME.

They look like garbage.
>>
File: Varan.gif (116 KB, 573x333) Image search: [Google]
Varan.gif
116 KB, 573x333
>>43988434
Varanguard you say?
>>
>>43988434
That one on the right has an Eye of Horus on it. I've seen that style of the Chaos star before in a CSM dex.
>>43990345
That's offensive to Jews. GW out Jews actual Jews so much that Jews feel ashamed and turn a new leaf.
>>43990846
What about Kiwiland?
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 540x880) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 540x880
>>43988434
Oh boy.
>>
>>43988434
Honestly, I could see them pretty fucking well in my khorate warband.

With a few tweaks here and there, most noticeably the heads, add the backpacks, but other than that I like the style.
Here's the problem though, the few times AoS appeals to me, it's as a 40k player. I'm never tempted to try the game, just take the models and convert them.
But fuck that price.
>>
>>43988434
Holy shit.

They must be, what, £70?

Fucking Archaon is £100, Jesus Christ.

Has GW accepted that only a small circle of morons likes their new game, and decided to just bleed their over-dependent asses with these ridiculous prices?

God damn, I just spent £150 on the Dropfleet kickstarter, and I'm getting four entire fleets' worth of models, plus rules, maps, gaming accessories and random bonuses.
>>
>>43988434
I'd like to point out that right now they're at 170 australian dollars, not 200. Still an absurd price but I don't know why it changed.
>>
Jesus fuck when did GW get so Jewy?
>>
>>43991133
When Tom Kirby decided to surpass the Jews.
>>
>>43991155
I thought Kirby had not been in charge for quite some time now.
>>
>>43991189
He's an adviser now if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>43990875
Okay so you just have an opinion of not liking high fantasy. Just say that instead of saying the sculpts are genuinely awful. Shit you can still respect their skills while saying high fantasy is not my thing.
>>
>>43991210
"Adviser"
>>
>>43991129
They didn't change, OP is in Kiwi dollars.
>>
>>43988620
Eh I don't really dig Scibor. For me, Scibor goes overboard with details more so than GW, but whatever, taste and preferences.
>>
File: image.png (15 KB, 481x515) Image search: [Google]
image.png
15 KB, 481x515
>>43988434
Man I normally love all the AOS models being released, but this...

This is fucking awful. There is too much going on in each miniature, nothing to draw your eyes to. You can't centre your gaze on anything easily because it's just angles and edges and spikes and lines and marks and symbols and oh my god stop.

It's too much. Less is more sometimes.

And fuck me that price. I know that is in upside down land shekels but they are going to be at least seventy or so.

Fucking hell. This is nuts.
>>
>>43988434
They might make good Chaos Lords on Demonic Steeds at least.
>>
Holy shit, you think GW will learn to tone down the needless details. My eyes are in pain staring at these.
>>
>>43991133
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/04/sysadmins_100000_revenge_after_sudden_sacking/?mt=1449218256053
>>
>>43991215

They are very good from a strictly technical perspective, I can acknowledge that. But from an artistic perspective, it just fails completely. It's not even "high fantasy," Warhammer Fantasy was already high fantasy enough.

The setting literally became something out of this world, and the style has followed accordingly. It's too bad, but GW thinks this was the way to go. Oh well. Just keep adding more spikes and teeth and biggererer weapons.
>>
>>43988434
>200$
they are not even trying anymore
>>
>Look at the Chaos Warriors webstore because I have a sudden urge to imagine a possible army to paint
>It would ne fairly cheap to do it

What the hell happened? I can get a sizeable force for the price of these 3 fuckers.
>>
>>43991328
Thing about Scibor's detail is that they know when enough is enough. These things just scream overdone.

just look at the first guy in the front.
The chaos star on the horse's chest is nearly unrecognizable because the star needs to be embedded in middle of an ornate plate, and the star it self is decorated with 8 holes/gems and then it has an eye smack dab in the middle of it.

When the chaos star is hard to identify in a chaos model, you've done goofed
>>
>>43991536
How does it fail from an artistic perspective? You yourself said that the setting has become out of this world, and the overthetop feel of the world is reflected on the models, too. Warhammer Fantasy was decently high fantasy, but had quite the things grounded low fantasy style. Here nothing is grounded it's a much higher form of fantasy. Higher doesn't mean better, but it doesn't mean worse either. It's different.
>>
>>43991500
That's just pure gold.
>>
So, 200 kiwicoins = 100 'muricoins = 1,700 mexicoins = 22 minimum wage, 8-hour workdays in fucking third-world Mexico.
Gotta be either filthy rich or starve to death to be able to afford this shit.
>mfw
>>
>>43991579
True enough.

I just realised why I like the Bullgryns/Ogryns new models when I tend to dislike nex releases. It's because they're so damn simple. Exactly why the new Nork always looked weird to me, it's too busy.
>>
>>43991708
Honestly mate, if you're at minimum wage in a 3rd world country, trying to get into a 1st world country expensive hobby is just suicide.
>>
File: Archaon.jpg (28 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
Archaon.jpg
28 KB, 500x359
>>43991582
>How does it fail from an artistic perspective?
There is absolutely no flow for the eye. Where the fuck am I supposed to look at this miniature for?

Posting an actually good model for comparison

Look at Archaon. Everything flows toward the helmet. The bright cape goes toward the only brass part, the helmet. The thick velvet reign also lies framing the helmet. The horse legs and head also is directional toward Archaon's helmet. The helmet itself also has two horns that curve toward the forehead.

The entire mini screams, "look at this motherfucker in the eye"

These varanguard... where the fuck am I looking at? The front guy has axe handle curve away from the body so the focus can't go there. The "horse" head has a spike drawing the eye upward to nothing. The chest horns go both directions so there's no focus either.
>>
>>43991743
Yeah, minimum wage here is both a joke and a full blown tragedy.
I got a nicer job though, but I'll definitely pass on 'em or wait for chinaman.
>>
>>43991751
>These varanguard... where the fuck am I looking at?

Fucking this.
It's like looking at a magic-eye picture.
>>
>>43991215
>>43991582
He's right though. From a technical perspective they are excellent, very high detail.

From an artistic perspective... Jesus fucking Christ where to begin. It's a goddamn joke. Whoever designed these doesn't seem to get basic design. They need to be easy to look at, and have a point that draws the eye to it.

These models fail at that. It almost hurts looking at them, you are struggling to make detail out because there is so damn much of it.
>>
File: Son reject.png (8 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
Son reject.png
8 KB, 380x380
>>43991751
>>43991888

God forbid a Chaos unit look cluttered and confusing to behold amirite
>>
>posts nz prices
>guaranteed replies
I merely saw the thumbnail and I knew what you were trying to do.
>>
>>43991937
I just... what?

You know exactly what they meant. Fuck off.
>>
>>43991937
No good chaos model look cluttered.
>>
File: 1422594389727.gif (461 KB, 460x350) Image search: [Google]
1422594389727.gif
461 KB, 460x350
>>43988434
>3 chaos knights on horseback
>they cost $35 dollars more than Archaon
>they cost $5 less than an entire Stormcast Eternals army
>or the new Khorne army for that matter
haah waaw
>>
>>43991958
>they

Obvious samefag m8

Also nice rebuttal.
>>
>>43989078
>is this game meant to be played at a smaller scale than their other wargames? A more Warcraft 3 style game with heavier RPG elements rather than straight tactics?
You just described exactly what aos was meant for. That's why I like it. I have 40k for my mass battles game, and this for my skirmish narrative gaming.
>>
File: image.png (510 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
510 KB, 1242x2208
>>43991987
Fuck off shitposter.
>>
>>43991903
This. These models are exactly why camouflage patterns work, your eyes struggle too hard to find the actual shape, contour and detail.
A good sculpt needs better balance, not oversaturation, also a pose that's accurate and dynamic but not unnatural or forced. Over-the-top heroic just looks bad to me.
>>
>>43991582

My "out of this world comment" was meant meant to be disparaging. A certain sense of groundedness is necessary, otherwise... "who cares?"

I said it fails artistically because it represents this view (demonstrated in the prices and promotional comments) that more detail and "dynamism" is somehow better. That's not to say that simplicity is necessarily better, but detail and elaboration (and exaggerated features/equipment) should only be included if they CONTRIBUTE to the work. This is just throwing in more detail for the sake of having lots of detail.

More generally, GW has said they're a model company before a game company, and their releases over the years have shown this. There has been a greater emphasis on large centerpiece models, and these have been getting larger and ever more fiddly and elaborate. Some people think this makes them better, but past a certain point you have to recognize that these are no longer game pieces, but display figures.
>>
File: such-shit.jpg (28 KB, 501x181) Image search: [Google]
such-shit.jpg
28 KB, 501x181
>>43991987
God forbid, two separate people actually have taste
>>
>>43990745
It's new Zealand prices you idiot. And they're each about the same size as a Lord celestant on dracoth, so they're pretty big, way bigger then chaos knights
>>
File: 1433824907794-0.jpg (105 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
1433824907794-0.jpg
105 KB, 500x487
>Okay we need to market a $200 model to man-children who spend their days obsessing over tiny toys
>how should we design it?
>just clutter my shit up
>>
>>43988659
>>43991064

I'm pretty sure those aren't even supposed to resemble horses. I mean, they have fangs and multiple eyes and I think one of them just straight up has claws instead of hooves.
>>
>>43992163

Normal horses, I should say.
>>
I remember the one defense Warhammerfags had to defend GW against other miniatures company was that they were cheaper on a per model basis even if you had to buy a lot of them for a standard army size.

Pretty sure End Times and AoS has just fucked them on that one.
>>
>>43992163
>I'm pretty sure those aren't even supposed to resemble horses

I disagree, they're clearly not horses and not meant to look like horses, but their is definitely supposed to be a resemblance to a normal horse so you can appreciate how grotesque they are. The models still look like garbage though.
>>
>>43988434

I'm still laughing at the idiots who fell for the AoS hype, and after all the shit GW has done with the game they went with the 'dont worry, everything will be better in the future approach'

no drones, everything is getting worse each day, like it did durng the release haha
>>
Why did they cram so much pointless detail into the smallest space possible? It's like Jurassic Park.
>We were so concerned with whether or not we could, that we never asked whether or not we should.
Visually their new models are as bad an experience as being eaten by a T-Rex would be.
>>
>>43991575

AoS happened
>>
>>43992022

nice, you like paying more for less models

I think you are the ideal GW customer
>>
>>43991751
Thank you. This was the answer I was looking for. An actual explanation instead of "this is new and different so I must hate it". Since you seem knowledgeable on the subject, can you also post a good example of a good model that's absurdly detailed and overthetop but still good? Something that you think AoS should take inspiration from since AoS is also trying to be super overthetop and detailed?
>>
>>43991751
Also where the hell do I buy this version of the model it seems GW doesn't make them anymore.
>>
>>43988512
There are Gamezone, Lead Adventure, Russian Alternative, AoW and Mantic doing minis you could use.

On a more related note though, how come I can't see these in the online store? Are they only up for preorder in New Zealand of what is going on?
Currency exchange rates tell me it would be around 123€ I just want to see if the pricing is consistent. Cause for that kind of money you can get shit tons of other minis that actually look like a designer worked on them.
>>
>>43993116

any KD models literally
>>
File: 1432280051697.jpg (332 KB, 857x1210) Image search: [Google]
1432280051697.jpg
332 KB, 857x1210
>>43988512

To be honest these seem reminiscent of early Chaos illustrations. Makes you wonder if older plastic Chaos models in Fantasy looked as they did because they were supposed, but because of lack of technology and the need to rank up.

I don't get all the bullshit again about Chaos being "simple" either. Look at this illustration or various other ones from either Realm of Chaos book and tell me anything in it is simple.

Once again you're left with the impression that a lot of the complainers are historicalfags who somehow missed the big fucking FANTASY in between Warhammer and Battles and simply played the game because no one else around could be fucked to actually play historicals.

>>43990745

They're not new Chaos Knights, simply elite versions.

It doesn't matter how many you get per box because there is no minimum required for a unit, you could buy one box and field anywhere from 1-3 units out of it.

This roughly equivalent to the same type of shit companies such as PP, CB, Wyrd have done. You need less models to play the game, but in return you pay more per model for them.

>>43992163

Correct, the description even says that they were once horses but have been changed by the power of Chaos.

>>43993234

Ebay, recaster, etc. GW stopped producing it a week or so before they released the new Archaon model.

>>43993427

Only up in NZ and other countries.
>>
>>43993460
>It doesn't matter how many you get per box because there is no minimum required for a unit, you could buy one box and field anywhere from 1-3 units out of it.

totes, this is AoS, just buy the $100 for 3 models box, make them 3 one man unit, and you will have a real army!

they will be a majestic warforce, don't forget to buy them!

did I mention to BUY the models?
>>
>>43993460
>I don't get all the bullshit again about Chaos being "simple" either. Look at this illustration or various other ones from either Realm of Chaos book and tell me anything in it is simple.
I get your point but you have to take into consideration that you are comparing a black and white 2d illustration to a 3d sculpture painted in color.
There are a bunch of different rules that apply here.
And even though I like those old illustrations, the one you posted does have composition for example. The entire image is framed by the arch and the pillars are symmetrically arranged. The orbs in the upper part of the image also mirror each other. The whole image is designed to make you look into the distance. There is a visual flow that you can even see from looking at the thumbnail.

Can't say I see any of that in the models.
It's something that started happening a few years back with the design studio. The miniatures lack one 'main view', which is why they often photograph poorly, but look decent IRL.
It's all about composition. And the amount of details plays a part in that as well. By increasing the density of surface detail on any given surface you make it more busy and give the eye more information to soak in. On a very basic level for these minis the mounts should have less detail than the riders, so the eye does focus on them by itself.
>>
>>43993589

haha, this is actually the most hilarious of the Sigmar arguments for me. the 'you can have an army with one box!'. well, that's not an army brother. not even a force.

and of course you can, but why the fuck would you do that? hell, you can play with proxied gi-joes, why even buy any models?
>>
>>43993616

If you don't like the model that is fair enough, there have been some recent GW models were even I didn't like all the detail. At least you're giving good reasoning for why you don't like it and not falling back on shit like character or CAD.

I guess I was really speaking to the people who think Fantasy had to be purely historical or that 40k should be sleek and undetailed. If that is what someone wants in their models then either certain ranges or the games themselves are not for that person. 40k and Fantasy seemingly have an artistic basis in making shit as baroque as possible.

>>43993623

I never said you could have an entire army just by buying one box, merely that this isn't a situation akin to Fantasy where you're forced to buy a certain number of boxes so that you can even first meet the minimum and then actually have said unit be able to do something.

By all rights a unit of three Varanguard could fail to meet the second criteria. I'm no expert in how well their stats translate into survivability or if only fielding three will see you getting punished by Battleshock.

When all is said and done they're big models with multiple bits made out of polystyrene plastic and thus the asking price for them has a plausibility to it. If you don't like them, don't buy them, it's no skin off my nose.
>>
>>43993883
Given that the game literally has no rules minimum unit sizes don't matter, but conversely units period do not matter. AoS models can only be valued in how good they work in other games, because the game they're made for its literally less mechanically complex than Risus.
>>
>>43993116
I think gw already nailed it once, but gone full retard and went overboard.

as the other anon mentioned Kingdom death stuff is fantastic for detailed, yet clear look. Scibor is also good.

To me, pic is the best chaos model ever made from GW. It's subtle, but not static, and everything builds toward the top. The details on the center mass is also heavily contrasted against the flat, blocky ends of the juggernaut.
>>
>>43993460
>it doesn't matter how many there are

You don't seem to understand that we buy models because we like owning models.
>>
>>43991937
You're legitimately retarded if you think you can ignore composition of an artistic piece because the subject matter is "chaos".
>>
>>43991751
I think the paint job exasperates this more than anything along with the over design of the newer models. Looking at that archon you can see 4 distinct sections, body, helm, steed, and blade, all painted in contrast to highlight this. In comparison, the entire new models are painted in a consistent confusing mess of gold black and flesh without a single color concentrated in any one place save perhaps the horse's faces. This means your eye isn't draw anywhere on the model, there isn't anything on it less aggressive to your eye than anything else, the entire piece demands the same amount of attention which is just bad art.
>>
>>43994016
This is definatly one of the best peices they have ever produced. Great contrast, high detail without being over designed, great composition. The only complaint I have is the pose of the lord himself makes him look very small.
>>
>>43994016
>>43994435
This looks exactly like op's pic
>>
>>43988434
Too busy. I like detail but thats a bit harsh.
>>
>>43992136
Who is the semen demon?
>>
>>43994498
It's no wonder GW can sell this shit if people like you can't see the difference.
Holy shit. If you are not just trolling but sincerely mean it I kinda feel sorry for you.
>>
>>43994498
confirmed for literally being color blind or possibly just normal blind.
>>
File: 1339636752352.gif (493 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1339636752352.gif
493 KB, 200x133
>>43994498
>>
File: 1448860194582.png (129 KB, 670x809) Image search: [Google]
1448860194582.png
129 KB, 670x809
>>43994498
This explains why gw can stay afloat producing this garbage.
>>
>>43994498
You're joking, you must be, none is that retarded
>>
File: 1449182799503.gif (1 MB, 478x360) Image search: [Google]
1449182799503.gif
1 MB, 478x360
>6 times the price of chaos knights per model
>not really as good looking
>>
blood knights 2.0?
>there was a time when I thought 20 dollar per cav was stupid
>these are about 40
>>
>>43994381
The paintjob's problem comes from the minis themselves though. The reason it's a clusterfuck of black and gold is that they both occupy same real estate in the mini,

The hammer guy is the least offensive of the bunch because he has a big ass shield that at least consolidates the black on the mini. The fucking glow effects kill any semblance of cohesiveness though.
>>
Okay.
Not a fan of AoS high fantasy aesthetic but I'm not as opposed to the steeds of chaos with fanged jaws and reptilian tails and stuff. But yeah, armour is too WoW style, just like everything in AoS.
>>
>>43995091
Hell, even WoW knew how to consolidate palettes and understood form.

Also WoW had the excuse of trying to run the game on a toaster and they opted for blocky cartoon style over realism. What's AOS's excuse?
>>
File: 1401298677956.jpg (182 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
1401298677956.jpg
182 KB, 600x441
>>43988434
I actually like the insane heavy metal ultra high fantasy look that AoS is going for. Never gonna buy it, but whatever.
>>
>>43995164
Fair enough.

But seriously, fuck AoS, I want my fantastified high middle ages and early modern period, you fuckers.
>>
>>43988434
And they wonder why their sales volume continues to slip.

This much for 3 horsie riders? Fuck off GW, ya cunts!
>>
>>43994498
Excellent bait, well baited
>>
>>43989952
I wish it looked like that.
>>
File: PossessedChaosSpaceMarines.gif (39 KB, 400x256) Image search: [Google]
PossessedChaosSpaceMarines.gif
39 KB, 400x256
This is the same company that has released absolute turds (pic related) on a regular basis. I'd take a dump over GW HQ because of their prices, but models like these still make me think "fuck maybe I should make a chaos army?"

The models look good, hands down. Those complaining that they didn't "frame" the models well, kek okay. If that's the worst thing you can complain about a company like GW then they've done something right.
>>
File: chaos lord.jpg (41 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
chaos lord.jpg
41 KB, 600x620
>>43994016
That one is cool, but I prefer this one.

But then again, I am in love with Chaos undivided.
>>
>>43994435
Gonna be honest, as much as I adore that lord and juggernauts in general, the pose on the undecided lord was better (even if it's just notdeathdealer).

storm of chaos archaon is also better than both, pose-wise
>>
>>43995164
Trying to run the game on a retarded dog's brain. New markets, you see.
>>
>>43995164
In WoWs defence, they did an amazing job of making the game beautiful on the smallest of specs.
>>
>>43995429
>pic
those are like 20 years old sculpts
>>
File: belakor.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
belakor.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>43995436
Also, hail Belakor!
>>
>>43994728
>>43994747
>>43994842
>>43994845
>>43994961
>>43995415

Anon is somewhat right, don't try and tell me with a straight face that the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut doesn't have some of the same shit that people are complaining about with regards to the Varanguard, particularly the Khorne Lord itself. The big difference is the paint job and that one is old and the other new.

>>43995091

The armor is not much different from the style of Chaos armor that has come before.
>>
>>43995510
>doesn't have some of the same shit
That's not the point being argued.
Holy shit. I can't even fathom how you could not understand or be able to distinguish between that.
Composition is what people are talking about.
I.e. where you put something, not what you put there.
>>
>>43995695

The Anon made no specific reference to composition.

Some people in this thread obviously view the Varanguard as cluttered, which is an accusation you could also level at the Khorne Lord.
>>
>>43994016
Damn, desu GW has been doing a good job with AoS models. It's only really been the Archaon and this Varanguard thing so far that have been shit. Which is awful because I am a Chaos guy in 40k and 30k and was hoping to join AoS once more Chaos was out that wasn't just Khorne based :(
>>
>>43995788
The posts he quite were in reply to posts mentioning composition though.
That aside you can clearly see what this is about if you compare the amount of griblees on the Khorne Lord mount to the plastic kit.
The Khorne Lord reads much better visually.
The plastic kit is a cluttered mess.

Sure if you like them that might not bother you, but from a technical point of view in terms of craft they are clearly much worse. Which should be pretty obvious to anybody who ever spent a modicum of time in a creative capacity.
No, glueing models together and painting them does not count.
>>
>>43995489
They were released during the EoT campaign last I remember. Sure it was quite some time ago, but even then they were uncharacteristically bad for what GW had been putting out. The Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince was older, and that thing still looks good.

These horsemen might be over detailed, maybe not ideally framed (a laughable complaint seeing as your comparing them to HQ units worth that extra effort) but their still fucking sweet looking unlike some of the utter turds GW has pushed onto the fanbase in the past with no alternative.

I mean sure models like Archaon were framed well, his proportions are weirdly big though, and his armor was pretty plane, mostly flat broad surfaces. The details on these guys are cool though, those unique horned helms, the detailed shield, that combo axe/sword, etc. All awesome stuff to check out while your paining them. Honestly any complaint about framing is moot until there is a 360 view available.
>>
>>43995961
>and his armor was pretty plane, mostly flat broad surfaces.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with flat, broad surfaces. It's a good thing to have, so as to contrast the more detailed portions.
>>
>>43988434
Nice work listing the NZ price studmuffin

That said, they are ridonk expensive no matter the currency
>>
>>43995961

360 is available on GW's website for 3-4 different combinations.
>>
>>43988434

They do look B0$$ as fuck
>>
>>43996013
Yea but there's barely any on him. They had to paint his armor back, with extreme red highlights to bring it out. The generic lord at least has rivets, belts, iconography, etc. Just look up the LE unmounted archaon model and you'll see just how boring the model is without his steed covering up most of him. Honestly it's the studios work on that steed that really makes that model.
>>
>>43991751

That's just the paintjob though. You can paint any model to look confusing as fuck by using nothing but bright primary colors.
>>
>>43995905
They are very similar composition wise as well hell any heavy armored calvary chaos has had has been a mess i just don't see how people's hatred of AoS has made equally blind and hypocritical
>>
You know, honestly at first I didn't think much was wrong with the models. But I decided to go on GW to take a closer look and I honestly kinda feel embarrassed I was supporting the models. The real problem isn't necessarily the colors or the details, it's the fact that the damn models have way too many spikey-esque sharp points on them caused by both having spikey looking horns and from attempting to have too many standout pointy parts. Compared to that Khorne Bloodbound lord, the lord has pointy spikey parts, too. But the Lord's parts are restrained. You see the spikes on the Juggernaut's head, and on the sides. Most of the rest of the surface is flatter so both the spikey parts and the flat parts complement each other. Use pic as a reference.

>>43994016
>>43993456
Word Imma check out some Kingdom Death. Though that Khorne lord's making me wanna buy an AoS starter set.

>>43996032
Not OP, but shit I do hope that nobody actually thinks these are USA prices. $134 is still pricey for three guys but shit you must be crazy if you actually thought they were $200.
>>
>>43995429

Fuck you nigga, I have all of these models and they are great with appropriate paintjobs. Here they're all grey but bottom right is clearly nurglite as is bottom left. The shit paintjob on these does not reflect how good these models are.
>>
>>43996092
Thanks for that, apparently not on the US site yet. Lazy buggers.
>>
>>43996154

GW has been rolling their website updates out based on when their stores in the respective country are open or shortly afterwards for months now, for example the US site is updated at 1PM EST.

In a way it's a boon if you live in the US and have any interest in limited products because you can get a full view and decide if they're worth buying or not.
>>
>>43996124
No, if that was the case, there's no way for any Slannesh model to look good, or any non-ulthwe Eldar. The paintjob's not even using primary colors. It's literally black legion color scheme and it's gaudy and confusing as fuck.
>>
>>43996147
Props to you if you could paint them up decently enough to look good. Post them and lets see if anyone else agrees.
>>
File: Damn you all to hell.png (556 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Damn you all to hell.png
556 KB, 720x540
.>>43988434
>$200.00
>3 Models
>>
>>43995436
>>43995498
I love you people
>>
>>43988434
>gods specific weapons
>no slaanesh

I'm not even surprised anymore.
Sleep tight dark prince
>>
>>43988434
>3 Chaos Pony
>200 dollars
WUUUUUUTTT????
>>
>>43988434

Try not setting the price to AU if you want to not be a retard.

Every time these faggoty threads are made it's always set to AU.
>>
>>43992074
>so they're pretty big, way bigger then chaos knights
Skullcrushers box still cheaper.
>>
>>43996920

How are any of their weapons god specific?

Slaanesh also gets mentions in both the Everchosen battletome and Everchosen painting guide. There are also at least two Varanguard who are pretty clearly Slaanesh aligned.

>But what of the missing forth Chaos god, Slaanesh? While the whereabouts of the Dark Prince remain shrouded in mystery, both Archaon's shield and Dorghar's breastplate are nonetheless adorned with the god's symbol, alongside those of the gods who are very much in evidence with Dorghar's twisted physiology. This curious detail, effectively an acknowledgement and tribute, only deepens the intrigue surrounding the absentee God of Excess.

>None stand above Archaon in the hierarchy of Chaos save the Dark Gods themselves. Under his upraised blade the minions of Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh bow low, the multitudinous legions of Chaos united into a single terrifying entity intent on the destruction of the Mortal Realms.

>Archaon embodies not just the might of a single god, but all four. In him, the servants of each of the powers see their paragon. He is the blood-drenched axe of Khorne that harvests the skulls of empires. He is the perpetual plague of Nurgle, which infects the realms with its rampant corruption. He is the impossible grand scheme of Tzeentch, which twists and turns in upon itself. He is the murderous excess of Slaanesh that drives men into fits of terrifying madness and homicidal ecstasy.

>Laelshy the Depraved fights for the Second Circle, the Souls of Torment. The gilded blue-steel plate of his armor panoply is synonymous with a circle infamous for its unspeakable acts of terror and brutality.

>The name of Fyrgorn Drak of the Souls of Torment is known from the Soulshade Reaches of Ulgu to the Giant's Midden in Ghur. Few are possessed of such monstrous conceit, and the fathomless cruelty to match it.
>>
File: dog with horse mouth.png (358 KB, 500x1370) Image search: [Google]
dog with horse mouth.png
358 KB, 500x1370
>>43988659
Don't forget part two.
>>
>>43992195
On a model-per-model basis, GW used to be good around the time 7th edition was out. The models were technically good and artistically good, and you could have them for relatively cheap (current Mantic prices, more or less).

Nowadays there is no reason to buy GW except if you really like the design, because the prices are higher than the high-tier other sculptors out there (which are better quality and better design), and there is much better competitors for the rank-and-file infantry.
>>
File: 1444471702858.jpg (95 KB, 811x594) Image search: [Google]
1444471702858.jpg
95 KB, 811x594
>>43989952
>>
>>43988659
>Tumblr
>>
>>43997308
>and artistically good,
>tau
>centurions
>taurox
>sigmarines
>good
>>
>>43997349
I like the bew design of tau warriors, and they did good with the crisis suits, simply modernizing it.

I kinda like sigmarines as well apart from the heads and the fact that they look the same.

Taurox gets shit on mostly because of its impratical design.
>>
>>43997382

>Taurox gets shit on mostly because of its impratical design.

Which is an asinine reason to hate anything in 40k when you think about it.
>>
Ya know, this is pretty much exemplary of why I stopped buying GW as a models hobbyist - never played any of the wargames but did like the attached lore. They're trying to increase their 'model quality' and failing at giving me something I'd actually want to paint. Not only are they less appealing, but they're edging into the pricing territory of the much higher quality display models that other companies already have them beat for both quality and price.

I've since transitioned to doing perfect-grade military models. Currently working on a 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair that I had to get imported from Japan, through their agent halfway across the country from where I lived, and it still cost less than what GW is charging for these models. That's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>43997401

>I've since transitioned to doing perfect-grade military models. Currently working on a 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair that I had to get imported from Japan, through their agent halfway across the country from where I lived, and it still cost less than what GW is charging for these models. That's fucking ridiculous.

Gee, maybe pushing little men around on a board isn't as mainstream as /tg/ makes it out to be nor is GW really that big of a corporation.
>>
>>43997396
Yeah that's what I'm saying.

I like the Taurox because it's "cool" which, really, is the whole point of 40k. Rule of cool people.
>>
>>43996128
It's not just AoS. GW took a nose dive in general in the last few years.
Doesn't mean the criticism towards AoS is unjustified in any way though.
>>
>>43997417
>something even more niche made by an even smaller company produces better quality for lower end consumer costs
>its not GW's fault that they're bad at their job and are incapable of acknowledging their own core consumer group
>>
>>43997289
>How are any of their weapons god specific?
>>
>>43997485
A few lines of fluff does not replace absence of modeling support, especially for kits like these that are supposed to last long and represent GW future intentions.

Slaanesh is slowly going away and it is sad.
>>
>>43997382
Anime+WoW shiteater combo.
>>
>>43997463

Can't say for sure about the company because one isn't named, but considering the general interest shown in such things I have a bit of difficulty believing model airplanes are even more niche than Warhammer.

>>43997479
>>43997485
>>43997494

Eh, fair enough, I was aware of the Nurgle sword and the Tzeentchesque spear, but not the Khorne sword.

That doesn't mean Slaanesh is going anywhere though and thoughts of such are the same old case of the GW fanbase making mountains out of molehills. It's more likely the case that Slaanesh simply doesn't have a favored weapon. All that really come to mind would be some kind of thin sword.
>>
>>43990939
I got it
>>
>>43997349
>centurions
>taurox
>sigmarines

>2010
kek
>>
File: dwarf_on_war_bear_2_p_01.jpg (252 KB, 700x878) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_on_war_bear_2_p_01.jpg
252 KB, 700x878
>>43989562
Yes, they are detailed, state-of-the-art detailed. They also have a shitty composition and artistically retarded. >>43991751
>>
>>43988434
> AOS
> 3 goofy ponies
> more cluttered than my garage
> $200
> not 40k chaos
Sounds like a smart move GW, can't wait to see the stocks drop!
>>
>>43997524
>It's more likely the case that Slaanesh simply doesn't have a favored weapon. All that really come to mind would be some kind of thin sword.

How about a whip? Or torture devices?
>>
>>43997720

Whip also came to mind, or a flail.

I can think of a few reasons that might explain why they didn't do a weapon that could immediately be associated with Slaanesh, but his removal is not one of them.
>>
>>43997524
A quick google search for 1/32 scale models of that aircraft from a japanese company make it likely it was one of two model variations produced by the Tamiya Corporation. Compared to what I can find, GW does likely have a decent edge in how many people it employs and revenue. Somewhere between 10-25% total personnel difference, its hard to find data on GW's overseas manufacturing staff. However GW loses about half of that manpower advantage to those people being strictly retail, whereas Tamiya ships directly to model companies that purchase their products or operate through agents in various countries where the demand for specialized products is too low for regular sales.

So GW /is/ a larger company than what is one of the most award winning and diversified model companies in an extremely competitive market that has been established for almost 70 years. However that company has an effective 2:1 manufacturing scale advantage that despite using a costlier material (almost all their products are metal rather than plastic or resin) they beat out GW massively on a money for detail basis. The complexity of these models are orders of magnitude greater than anything GW produces.

GW is the larger company technically and does overcharge for their products, but I doubt they could reach the economy of scale of these guys sitting in niche positions atop a general market while also operating their own shops. The competition and prestige in maintaining that position for Tamiya probably doesn't hurt the consumer either.

To me this is saying, GW really needs to re-think their business priorities. I don't think they have the experience or infrastructure to produce comparable products to the other high-end products that they are entering the price range of and will be compared to, even if they exist in different appealing consumer niches. With their greater distribution overhead I am not sure they can maintain revenue with the more sporadic purchases of these kits.
>>
>>43991410
It's almost like... Chaos.
>>
>>43998154
>It's chaos so it's above criticism! It's supposed to look like a cluttered shitheap!

Fuck off.
>>
>>43998154
>it's, like, chaotic and shit

That's a shitty excuse, as stated earlier in the thread. Hell, GW:s vision of chaos has rarely, if ever, been very chaotic in actual sense of the word as far as visual material go. A single painting of Hieronymus Bosch contain more true chaos than all the skulls and spikes GW has to offer.
>>
File: And a-one-two-shit-crunch.jpg (144 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
And a-one-two-shit-crunch.jpg
144 KB, 873x627
>>43988434
The one on the left looks like its seconds away from face-planting.

>FUCKING HORSE STOP IT AAAAAH
>huuuuuuuuurrr

Its as bad as the synchronised tripping on the Witch Elves.
>>
>>43991579
This.
Technically perfect, but they added details over details not because it looks good on the miniature but simply because they can do it.
Like they want to show off and demonstrate that their miniatures have the most details of all, no matter how retarded the final product might look like.

I`m won't even start to talk about the price, its just as over the top as the whole miniature.
>>
>>43992022
I like their intention as well. Their setting they choose for it (while killing WHF) is what i dislike.
>>
>>43993234
Ebay.
Its metal, so you can buy the worst "propainted" one you might find and it will still be just as new.
>>
>>43995436
This one looks awesome. Not a fantasy nor chaos player so i see it the first time.
Let me guess, its OOP right?

Has it a special name or was it simply labeled as "Chaos Lord"? I might want to pic one up from ebay.
>>
>>43995489
They look like 20 years old, but they are rather new. Shockingly new actually.
>>
>>43997720

I'm seeing a censer like the old Skaven Plague monks had. But full of drugs.

And there was a demon weapon back in....40k 4th ed? That was a giant-ass needle embedded in the wielder's arm.

I don't really see Tzeentch having a specific weapon either, really.
>>
File: Black_Legion_Possessed_Marines.jpg (84 KB, 570x408) Image search: [Google]
Black_Legion_Possessed_Marines.jpg
84 KB, 570x408
>>43998751
Nope, this are the "recent" possessed.
>>
>>43988434
They look pretty good, the paintjob is just shit. Not painting the horses fucking white and not using pretty much the full spectrum of colors on the models would solve most of the models problems.
>>
>>43989952
>The photos make them seem like industry showcases made for trade magazine distribution, cos they don't look like they were created to please hobbyists.

This. I spend altogether too much time installing Autodesk products and modern GW sculpts remind me of those abstract extremely bitty shapes they show off on the loading screens, they don't serve any practical purpose and exist just to show off the crazy CAD shit you could do if you wanted.
>>
File: Fall_of_Medusa_V_Vostroyan.jpg (184 KB, 729x627) Image search: [Google]
Fall_of_Medusa_V_Vostroyan.jpg
184 KB, 729x627
>>43998751
They came out during the Fall of Medusa V campaign in 2006 alongside the Nurgle demon prince and Lucius, so they're about nine years old.
>>
>>43998824
Indeed. Shockingly new if you ask me. Because they really look like some kind of rogue trader era abomination.
>>
>>43998788
Those aren't their strongest miniatures either.
>>
>>43998824
No, the ones who came out during medusa campaign were >>43998788.
>>
>>43998858
Nope. The plastic ones were released with the 4th ed codex.
>>
>>43998858
He's right, the ones here >>43995429 are from the Medusa campaign. I still have the WD.
>>
>>43988587
Through years of playing various nerdgames and trying to get people into the various kinds I can honestly say tabletop wargames are the toughest pitch, part of the reason being the price. People are happy to chuck £20 odd at Magic to start playing (the fools), it's surprisingly easy to get people to try a roleplaying game because it's free for them as long as people don't mind them not having a rulebook. Wargames take hours to play though, have what are apparently fiddly rules (I've been wargaming for near 2 decades so I have to take this on trust), aren't social and cost way, way more than any other entry level nerdgame. I don't jsut need to encourage soemone to borrow my midrange deck or rock up with a character sheet, I need to get them to build and paint models, spend a shitload of money doing it and spend hours stood round a table. Even low price games suffer from this so price isn't the only barrier but it's very useful jsut to be able to throw a starter box witha few models at someone and tell them to get going. In my opinion the easiest wargames to introduce people to have a £35/$50 starter box and army cost tops out around £200/$300.

£60 for 3 knights just ain't doing it.
>>
>>43998848
Yeah, they're not that great and the stock-photo paintjob doesn't make them look any better.
Hell, I'd be hard pressed to pick 40k ChSM unit I actually like.
>>
File: EoT map.jpg (737 KB, 2033x1513) Image search: [Google]
EoT map.jpg
737 KB, 2033x1513
>>43998842
Considering how the newest Chaos characters are from the same era I'd agree. I just didn't think it was quite that long ago. Where did the time go?

That said, I did always quite like the gurning one with the giant hands and red hair. It's like he's been possessed by a Muppet.

>>43998901
Me too. Probably got the supplement that came with it somewhere. And the Eye of Terror issues.
>>
>>43998933
The nurgle marines in the same era were great, the Vostroyans too. I even have four squads worth of Vostroyans, even if I don't play 40k.
>>
File: dv_chosen01.jpg (71 KB, 410x321) Image search: [Google]
dv_chosen01.jpg
71 KB, 410x321
>>43988434
I think the composition is the only thing that doesn't work.

I think, I KNOW that Chaos stuff looks best when it's cluttered with spikes and textures. If you go back to the RoC illustrations you'll find out that a lot of them were EXTREMELY busy and complex.

What often prevents busy designs from working is :
1- the details are too blocky, thick and not sharp enough, so they look simultaneously cumbersome and weightless, like a shitty LARP costume made out of rubber and styrofoam

2- the composition is neither coherent nor readable. You can give them weird poses as long as it accentuates the details and makes them visible, or you can make the miniature very compact and static, but either way, there shouldn't be stuff getting in the way of other stuff

The problem with those miniatures is the second point.

By contrast, a lot of recent chaos releases have had very lumpy, blocky and plastic-looking sculpts, but those look way more refined and realistic. In a way they remind me of the Dark Vengeance Chosen, who were the pinnacle of Chaos miniature design as far as I'm concerned, except that hose had readable and cool poses.
>>
>>43991751
I like knights in op better. Archon horse looks fugly.
>>
>>43998953
They are, yeah. I kind of regret not getting a few of the Vorstroyans, even if I didn't collect IG and they were expensive even for the time.

It just made the Possessed release even more baffling. GW was clearly capable of designing good miniatures with a strong theme and evocative (but not overwhelming) details, and then they put out those things.
>>
>>43998990
Confirmed for worst taste.
>>
>>43998999
>I kind of regret not getting a few of the Vorstroyans
Personally it's the Ork Kommandos, same period.
>>
File: chaos-templeasfa-3001.jpg (585 KB, 517x720) Image search: [Google]
chaos-templeasfa-3001.jpg
585 KB, 517x720
>>43988434
I love the top horse's head. It looks straight out of an old Ian Miller illustration. If there's one thing that redeems this mess of a kit, it's that head.
>>
>WoW
>Arthas's faithful horse dies
>Deathknight Arthas raises his horse from the grave to serve him again

>WHFB
>Archaon's faithful horse dies
>Everchosen Archaon forces a shapeshifting daemon to take the form of his loyal dead horse

Is this a common trope or is someone stealing from someone?
>>
File: Ajax2.jpg (34 KB, 700x386) Image search: [Google]
Ajax2.jpg
34 KB, 700x386
>Tfw There was a time i thought Vampire blood knights were the height of expensive models
>Tfw I was once shocked to see the 'recent' SM Librarian cost £18 on his own

I mean...If you accept that a plastic clampack character costs about £20+ now it's not that bad, 60 quid for basically 3 Mounted Chaos Lords.

I kinda dig the mutant horse thing, certainly a billion million times better than the awful Archaon model
>>
>>43998999
They still sell metal vostroyans btw.
>>
>>43999083
>Is this a common trope or is someone stealing from someone?
WoW and WHFB have been taking turn stealing from each other for past two decades.
>>
>>43999083
Odin i think
>>
>>43999107
Odin's horse came from genderbening bestiality mpreg.
>>
>>43999103
>WoW and WHFB have been taking turn stealing from each other for past two decades.
Cite me one example of WHFB ripping off WoW that isn't the strange and oversized armours and weapons that brought the AoS
>>
>>43999125
The design of Nagash.
>>
>>43999133
Also banshees.
>>
>>43999095
yeah, their horses are way cooler than that horrible WoW-ish dragon Archaon now has.

I mean, fuck, who did they hire to design that thing? Genzoman? I wouldn't even be surprised if they announced that half of their recent miniatures came from this guy's mind. It all looks so fucking plastic, like it's from Invader Zim, they made every surface look like an early 2000s tribal tattoo, like a mallgoth's idea of how "evil" translates into shapes.

I'm multiplying the references so you get where I'm coming from when I say that in spite of the dynamic pose and extreme stylization, it still looks fucking silly. The new Archaon model just fucking screams "tryhard edgy". That would have made more sense six or so years ago back when everything dark wasn't labelled as edgy, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

By contrast the new knights actually look somewhat fucked up and grotesque but in an impressive way, not in an ineffectual and clumsy way like Archaon, his huge cartoony horns and his cartoony dragon.
>>
>>43999125
Phoenix, dwarves hellicopters (new one) and rifled cannons.
>>
File: Cover+Book+-+copie.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1476) Image search: [Google]
Cover+Book+-+copie.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1476
>>43999099
Oh that's neat.

To be honest though, I'm kind of done with it all. I've been trying to keep enthusiastic about /tg/ stuff for a while, but between AoS, Beast and some other stuff I'm just kind of reached the end. I'm currently trying to find time to audit all my stuff and then find people to buy it. I've got models I'm never going to use and probably never going to paint, so they'd be better off with someone who actually wants them. Assuming I can find a buyer. Not sure anybody wants old Rackham Confrontation and Hell Dorado stuff any more, to say nothing of the Warhammer models.
>>
>>43999133
>>43999138
How so?
The concept of a banshee is not new nor reinvented, while nagash retains the traits from his older model except for having bigger shoulderpads and more decorative vertebrae and columns
>>
>>43999177
Jesus Christ that is some awful art.

Who constructed this abomination?
>>
>>43999177
All the oldfags who love what made Warhammer unique and engaging (the original art, the fluff, the crafting and converting) now play Inq28 and Mordheim, man. You could give it a try, if you don't live in a shithole.
>>
>>43999205
Hey fuck you Rackham was some tight shit, it perfectly encapsulated the early 90s 2000AD artstyle GW has only managed to instill into orks and skavs.
>>
File: Banshee.jpg (68 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Banshee.jpg
68 KB, 600x450
>>43999202
>How so?

Read the posts again. No one is arguing about the 'concept' of a Banshee
>>
>>43999177
I haven't played any GW game in almost 10 years, but i would never sell my old and beloved metal miniatures.
I still buy miniatures (old, metal ones from ebay that is) simply to have, paint and collect them.
>>
Is 'but its good for high fantasy' the new defence of the AoS fanboy or something?

You had the same idiotic argument being trotted out to justify the new Archaon looking awful in comparison to the old one.
>>
>>43999227
So did Rob Liefeld.

That doesn't necessarily make it good.

The 90s were a fucking horrid time for comic art.
>>
>>43999247
Exactly. Not the concept is stolen, but the design.
Maybe not stolen, but "inspired", just like the tyranids changed their style after starcraft was released.
>>
File: golemnain.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1350) Image search: [Google]
golemnain.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1350
>>43999205
Edouard Guiton, I believe. I like his work.

>>43999214
I'll bear that in mind. I might keep a few bits and bobs I really like and rehome the rest. Same with the RPGs. There's no sense sitting on a horde if all its going to do is moulder in the attic.

>>43999251
A lot of them are still in their original boxes, untouched. I had hoped to do more modelling and gaming with them, and I held on as long as I could, but finding other people and then simply the time to do anything with them just became too much of a problem. At this point I'd much rather they went to someone like you who can love them properly. I must admit some extra cash would be helpful too.
>>
>>43999270
Ok now that's a good picture.

Maybe it's just that one image.
>>
>>43998742
just chaos lord on daemonic mount
>>
>>43999253
No he didn't. And the 90s were quite possibly the BEST time for comic art, because, guess fucking what, there's more to comic books than DC and Marvel.

I LITERALLY brought up 2000AD and yet you fucking mention Rob Liefeld. Sure, Rob might have taken inspiration from the surreal and angular style of Simon Bisley and such (not sure) but you're comparing two different traditions.

In the 90s, tons of underground and alternative comics were getting widely published and new competitors to the big two arose, it was the time where Dark Horse was up and coming with all their licensed IPs (if you've never read Aliens comics, kill yourself) and with Hellboy, and even DC had their vertigo line which was had some genuinely artistic stuff in it, like, I dunno, fucking Sandman.

Great comic writers and artists far outnumbered Liefeld and his copycats in the 90s. And Rackham took inspo from the good side.
>>
>>43999282
Thank you. Hopefully i can find him soon.
>>
>>43999270
Do you have a list of your stuff you want to sell?
>>
>>43992022
Except there was a skirmish mode of Warhammer Fantasy. With better models, better rules, and a better setting.

>>43993460
>Once again you're left with the impression

No nobody is 'left with that impression', that is just a tired old troll argument you people trot out whenever someone dares to point out the appeal of WHFB for many was armies of normal men holding back the darkness. Not wanting a poorly designed over the top mess does not make you a historicals player.
>>
>>43999304
http://wwwebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-BNISB-Chaos-Lord-on-Daemonic-Mount-Metal-Excellent-Con-/391329941728?hash=item5b1d1508e0:g:x2oAAOSw8-tWV5at

Boom done.
>>
>>43999329
Thanks, but shipping from GB is almost as expensive as the miniature itself.
Don't worry, i'll get my hands on him soon enough.
>>
>>43999299
Holy shit so close to a get.

Anyway why does everybody fixate on Rob Liefeld anyway? If what you said is true.

Also I'm pretty sure my cat has read Aliens comics. Wasn't there a superman and batman Alien comic or some shit?

Different anon btw.
>>
>>43999370
Everyone fixates on Liefeld because some artists who worked for the "big two" tried to copy his style, so it was popular for a short time. But NOW everyone fixates on it because he's become a meme due to some guy who made an angelfire page about him or something.

There was Batman vs Predator, and Superman vs Aliens, actually.
>>
>>43996121
>boring

The dismounted Archaon looks great. Detail is not a substitute for quality.
>>
>>43999202
Nagas does look very similar to Warcaft liches. Although "floating bone guy in robes and fancy headhear" isn't the most difficult design to come at independently. I don't think he shares much in common with the original Nagas model aside from being big skeleton man with robes, staff and an extremely fancy hat (although the hat on the new one is completely different style than the original model).
>>
>>43999247
Do you even know that the design of an ethereal looking screaming ghost with flowing hair is not new? Warhammer had it since 4th edition at least, way before world of warcraft was a thing?
>>
File: apostat4Boss.jpg (759 KB, 1000x1431) Image search: [Google]
apostat4Boss.jpg
759 KB, 1000x1431
>>43999314
Still going through it. Its difficult finding the time to do it all. Its probably something like a couple of hundred blisters of Confrontation figs and some of the plastic 4th ed sets that killed the company, some boxes of the old Asmodee Hell Dorado figures, most of Chaos Marine force (still on the sprue), Space Crusade, Hero Quest, all sorts. Found some Bryan Ansell dwarves from the early 80s the other day.

Were you looking for anything in particular?

>>43999278
He did some nice Chaos warlord types as well, and did the concept art for a few factions in AT-43. I think this was from the same faction as the snake man you hated.
>>
>>43998988
I found myself wishing new versions of the Space Crusade CSM while playing the other day.
>>
File: MVMA05_Janos.jpg (189 KB, 500x775) Image search: [Google]
MVMA05_Janos.jpg
189 KB, 500x775
>>43999423
And some undead.

Captcha, espresso is not a milkshake.
>>
File: MVSP06_02_CON-grey.jpg (179 KB, 500x684) Image search: [Google]
MVSP06_02_CON-grey.jpg
179 KB, 500x684
>>43999430
>>
File: smug Mari.gif (370 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
smug Mari.gif
370 KB, 500x465
>>43999370
>700 off
>so close
>>
>>43999452
That reminds me I need to watch the third rebuild.
>>
>>43988434
What the shitting fuck? That price can't be right, tell me it's not right.
>>
File: ali6.jpg (144 KB, 500x683) Image search: [Google]
ali6.jpg
144 KB, 500x683
>>43999442
This was one of the Therian commanders from At-43. The actual model came ended up being quite close to the concept art.
http://i.imgur.com/PiEokg3.jpg

I'll stop derailing now.
>>
>>43999483
It's kangarooville dubloons.

So no.
>>
>>43999470
Don't do it son...
>>
>>43996129
You're still thinking in terms of art composition actually going into current GW's overengineered miniatures. From the weird swirly bit that supports the flying Stormcast lord to this, they're all made with the sole purpose of keeping recasters from copying their stuff. They're not even actual sculpts anymore, just 3D models run through CAD.
>>
>>43999508
>They're not even actual sculpts anymore, just 3D models run through CAD.
You can really see where they're recycling CAD assets and even whole sculpts in their recent stuff. The skull tumours that all the recent Chaos stuff has is particularly obvious.
>>
>>43999546
And while CAD by itself isn't a guarantee of bad quality, it's the shitty way GW uses it that makes the new miniatures awful. Because there's no physical sculpting done, there's no expectations of ease of painting or transporting, vital qualities for a miniature to be used in actual games. Even basic concepts like line of action are tossed aside in the search for uniqueness and copyright protection - what the fuck is that first chaos pony doing? Why is that second one doing a front wheelie?

This is what leads to shit like the Sotrmcast archer, the single worst archer miniature GW has ever produced, especially in comparison to their own previous offerings.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757634-News-on-WHFB-9th&p=19319850#post19319850
>>
>>43997382

Taurox gets shit on because it looks like a tonka truck.
>>
>>43998742
Not OOP at all. Just webstore exclusive, meaning you can get it at your house or order it at your nearest GW if you want.
>>
>>43988434
HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT IS THIS MEME? HOW IS ANYONE STILL DEFENDING AGE OF SHITMAR?

Fucking seriously, you can get Gamezone mournful knights in metal that look 20x better than these for like £5 each. How the fuck can anyone be so brazen that they can do this even if people will pay it?
>>
File: ExemplarVengers_WEB.jpg (363 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ExemplarVengers_WEB.jpg
363 KB, 600x600
>$200

No it doesn't, more like $100 USD so stop being this retarded /tg/

In Sweden they are 720 SEK,which actually is more like $72, now thats $24 each, for GW´s latest and greatest semi-large multi part plastic model. Compare this to you're average blister with a sizable hero character from just about any range and you will find about the same price.

So stop being such fags /tg/ and stop and think for a moment before you post.

>Its ugly!

Well, thats a personal perspective posted as "facts". My personal opinion is that they look rather cool, a bit much details and a bit over the top, but all that suits the new esthetics of the latest AoS releases.
But I in no way see my opinion as facts.

>>43993460

This post right here! This man gets it more than most in this /tg/ whine-fest. Most of GW´s recent releases pictures many of the really old concept art in models. But kids these days, that didn't spend their youth drooling over pictures such as these when flipping through really old army-books, just cant see what its like to finally see it become somewhat a reality.

>GW´s latest release turns in to a hate raid

Well, no surprise there. We are in wargamer hipster central after all, hate all things new cus I'm so speshul...

And finally, a comparison from someone who spent more time playing alternative games, among them Warmahordes.
This is what the competition has to offer. Its a 5 man box, I give you that. But with only 3 mono-posed metal models, so you get two copies and one Sergeant. All for the "fair price" of $90. And remember, these aint new models by a long shot, its a "re-box" from old models they had lying around. And the Warmahordes community are GRATEFUL, because "at least they didn't use the standard horse that looks like a clubbed seal for this one".
And you have to remember, that this is from one of the bigger competitor in the race of largest miniature wargame!
>>
>>43999508
Forgive me as I said initially I am new to the miniature war gaming part of this hobby, but what do you mean by CAD here? It's not combined arms detachment
>>
>>43991215
This isn't even nearly high fantasy you jackass, GW has no one left who has any idea what high fantasy means. This is warhammer grimderp stripped of charm and loaded with bullshit and you're happy to pay through the nose for it.
>>
>>44000147
Computer Aided Design, in this case.
>>
>>44000152
Oh god it's one of you faggots again who actually believes in the "they are copying 40k" shit. If you did your reading you would know it's nothing like it and has more similarities to extremely high fantasy like Starjammer and Planescape, but nope it's much easier to be an ignorant degenerate who'll shit on things without knowing a damn thing about them.
>>
File: standing ovation.gif (977 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
standing ovation.gif
977 KB, 500x240
>>44000152
>This is warhammer grimderp stripped of charm and loaded with bullshit
You managed to put into words how I felt about AoS.
Thank you.
>>
File: Stryker_WEB_0.jpg (397 KB, 520x676) Image search: [Google]
Stryker_WEB_0.jpg
397 KB, 520x676
>>44000096

And to ad to it, here is another comparison from Warhamhordes. A single character, mono posed metal miniature for $60. He is roughly the same size as most cavalry models. A good looking fig, but you just cant compare the latest multi part plastic, which btw goes together like Lego. This model on the other hand you have to put together with tooth and nail (like most metal sluggers) to make sure it wont break during games!

I personally think this whole "pricing" question has gotten out of hand here. We have to remember you don't even need to spend money on rules these days! Yes, remember? GW actually gives us that for free these days, nothing no other competitor but Corvus belli´s Infinity does to my knowledge! You don't need a $50 rule book any more! You don't need to complain about a $35 Army book! All you need to get now are the actual miniatures, and still you complain.

This hobby is going down the shitter, mostly because its audience is a bunch of kidults with little or no idea of how to plan a simple budget.
>>
>>44000169
I see. Now how do you know that they are copy pasting particular templates/assets? Wanna give examples please?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.