[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best rogue like characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Hansoloprofile.jpg (184 KB, 950x1200) Image search: [Google]
Hansoloprofile.jpg
184 KB, 950x1200
what up /tg/

I'm pretty set on making a sort of rogue/assasin/thief/spy sort of character for my next campaign I'll be playing in. Anyone know of any good books (sci-fi or fantasy) that has really well done characters like this that I can draw some inspiration from?
>>
>>43987344
Not a book, but Garret from the original Thief games (you can just watch them on YouTube) is perhaps the best Neutral-aligned Rogue example EVER.

He steals from people because he likes it and because it's a job, he's a wry-minded outsider who makes dry humor comments on all the hypocrisy and bullshit he sees in The City, he looks at all the various factions and their stuck-up sermonizing and recognizes their bullshit for what it is, tries not to kill people because it's sloppy and unprofessional, and occasionally saves the city and/or kills a god or two by outwitting them and stealing all their shit.
>>
>>43987413
>you can just watch them on youtube
is the game crap or something? im looking at reviews and theyre all saying its ok. for 19.99 USD would you say its worth it?
>>
>>43988290
Well... Do you like stealth games? Because they're not going to do anything for you if you don't like the genre to begin with. There's no cross genre appeal.
But if you do, they're pretty much the codifier for the genre and classics in their own right.
Just be a little gentle. They're old, and show their age at times.
>>
>>43988290
They're old, but invented the stealth game there for modern day basically.
>>
>>43987344
Atton Rand from Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2

Garret from Thief and Thief 2

Drizzt from the DnD Drow Novels

Illidan Stormrage from the Warcraft series
>>
>>43988290
The first 2 (especially II) are incredible. The atmosphere is perfect and anon was right, Garrett is the best thief in media. III and the reboot are good in their own ways, but not quite up to par.

Also good: the Lies of Locke Lamora. Read it; you'll love it.
>>
File: 1355550673124.png (146 KB, 346x247) Image search: [Google]
1355550673124.png
146 KB, 346x247
Does pic related count?
>>
>>43988413
Atton is a really well done character. I'll probably end up digging up some video of his best lines or something on youtube. Drizzt I have the graphic novel omnibus of that i need to get around to, and im familiar with illidan. Pretty neat as well.

>>43988420
I've added Lies of locke Lamora to my good reads list. Looking forward to it!
>>43988454
Bilbo is pretty based, though not quite what im going for. Interesting twist on the whole "thief" trope if you think about it. given his nature and all
>>
>>43988454

You know, it probably does. Despite the supposed difference between "Thief" and "Rogue," Bilbo "Burglar" Baggins is actually a pretty good thief. He's resourceful, clever, naturally sneaky, and steals in a way that stops a goddamned war. The magic Ring only enhances his natural sneakiness (I'm talking about narratively, not how the Ring works) and he gets out of a lot of his problems by talking his way out. But when he's called to fight, he does do his job, wielding a sword for the fights instead of a knife all the time.
>>
>>43988290
You absolutely should play them. The world building of the series is pretty much as good as it gets, and the atmosphere is so solid the aged graphics don't matter as much as they otherwise would
>>
File: at.png (11 KB, 299x294) Image search: [Google]
at.png
11 KB, 299x294
>>43987344
>>
>rogue/assassin/thief/spy

Those are four different types of characters (also, assassin is spelled "ass ass in").
>>
>>43992319
Is a Rogue not a mix of the latter three? Or just one of the three with some fighter?
>>
>>43992350
No, a rogue isn't necessarily a mix of the later three. You can be a rogue without stealing, assassinating people, or spying on others.

Example: In the films, Han Solo was a rogue. He was not a thief. He was not an assassin. He was not a spy.
>>
>>43992495
I'm not sure what he was really. A straight up marksman with some dirty tricks? I'd go more urban Ranger at that point.
>>
>>43988413
Drizzt acts more like a paladin who knows his way in the widerness desu, not really a rogue type character.
>>
>>43992555
>marksman
Where would you get that? He shot an alien and some stormtroopers at point blank range.

Guy has questionable morals. He works for gangsters and looks out for only himself. That's rogue behavior.
>>
>>43992350
A rogue is a sturdy beggar.
>>
>>43992495
He smuggled. That's pretty thiefish.
>>
File: SoYouWantToPlaySomeThief.jpg (2 MB, 1400x3900) Image search: [Google]
SoYouWantToPlaySomeThief.jpg
2 MB, 1400x3900
>>43987344

Seconding the Thief games, at least the first two. Get the patches mentioned in pic related, though, it'll help improve the graphics.

Cugel the Clever from Jack Vance's The Dying Earth is probably my favorite rogue-type character of all time, but playing him in a game could be difficult. If not done correctly, he'd basically be That Guy -- the beauty of the stories is seeing him run into some pompous jerk and give the bastard what's coming to him, and then later we get to see Cugel get what's coming to HIM, because Cugel is ALSO a total ass.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.