[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tabletop Mazes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Color Maze.png (71 KB, 1058x806) Image search: [Google]
Color Maze.png
71 KB, 1058x806
How do you make mazes fun for players instead of just immensely tedious?
>>
>>43986873
>How do you make mazes fun for players instead of just immensely tedious?
I would also like to know this.
>>
The only realy way is if your players are just into it, and know what to expect.

Have outside portions of the maze, and lots of variety inside, as in not just stone walls and floors the whole way

Also if they dont map it as they go, they will never enjoy it
>>
>>43987416
This.
One of my ideas was a sanitarium of sorts, with the corridors twisted and blocked by the insanity of the residents, and some rooms scattered with mini-bosses that are supernaturally representative of their mental diseases.
>>
>>43986873
Make a scratch card which the players have to scratch through, one tile at a time.
Have special numbers or icons for monsters/traps/treasures.
>>
>>43987557
How does one make a scratch card?
>>
File: HcBa9R5.jpg (218 KB, 710x947) Image search: [Google]
HcBa9R5.jpg
218 KB, 710x947
>>43986873
>How do you make mazes fun for players instead of just immensely tedious?
Why would I want to do that?
>>
>>43986873

I just tell them it's a maze. No grid-map, no retracing your steps, none of that. I let them know it's a maze by narrating how long they've been wandering around in it, and the wrong turns they've taken. I tell them how it smells all moldy and how humid and gross it is, and that they pass skeletons just lying propped against a corridor wall with no marks on them. I describe scratched messages on the stone tiles at doorways that just say "dead end" or "wrong turn". I tell them how they've lost track of what day it is, and that they're running low on rations or whatever.

But in reality, it's just a series of encounter-rooms strung together by narrative. I would never, *ever* actually put my players in something as tedious as a grid-based maze and expect them to actually grope their way out of it. That sounds like the opposite of a good time--both for them as players, and for me as the bored-out-of-my-mind GM. Fortunately, with the magic of imagination, I can put their characters in a maze without putting the players in one.
>>
>>43987575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xDwDYC4Hw
>>
>>43987935
Neat, I may give that a try
>>
>>43986873
Use a deck of cards...
Declare one card as an exit - like the Ace of Hearts or something. Have the players draw cards until they find the correct one.
You could assign other cards values such as traps, monsters, etc.
You could be a real dick and put the exit card at the bottom of the deck.
>>
>>43986873
You don't run them as mazes, but narratively.
>>43988262 is a good idea, if you are playing a system that doesn't allow for complex scene resolution.
>>
>>43988262
Bonus points if you use some slight of hand to make then THINK it is randomized but the exit is at the bottom anyway
>>
>>43988262
Well, if you think of the cards as symbols - or, even just use index cards instead, you can do a lot. One could use only a few cards - not the whole deck, for simpler mazes.

Okay, here's another idea (please don't laugh) - a Battleship style of resolution. Instead of merely randomized stuff, give your players a sense of choice. Create a grid - key it with various shit - one cell is the 'exit'. Grids are simple, don't require anything but a piece of paper and their complexity can be controlled by the number of cells.

Complex resolution is relative. Some cards / cells could be the 'dead ends' and 'wrong turns'. Others could allow players to pick again, or get injured, etc.

Personally, I got tired of maps a long while ago.
>>
>>43987471
So..... Silent Hill?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.