[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallen London
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 2
File: Fanghat.png (12 KB, 100x130) Image search: [Google]
Fanghat.png
12 KB, 100x130
Hello delicious friends,
I want to use FL as setting for a campaign. Has anyone already done this? Which system should I use?
>>
>>43985588
Nice doubles.
Never used it as a setting, but it opens up a wide variety of possibilities and could be used in just about any system for any angle.
Band of prison-free fighters on a quest to kill shit? Sure.
Sleuths searching for the source of the rubbery men? Sure.
Stealing shit? But of course.
Bandaged gentlemen looking for their next target and wooing them at a ball? Got it covered.
Shit for the masters, always an option.
>>
File: Blades in the Dark.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Blades in the Dark.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43985738
>>43985588
I think Blades in the Dark might be what you are looking for. Attached is one of the early versions.
>>
>>43985588
I've been in a play-by-post game once, technically still am. It's on infinite hiatus, though.
We used FATE, which works well, but it isn't all that mechanically interesting to me.

I would probably just use Paranoia. It's easy enough to adapt, as chaotic and opaque to the player as the Neath, you can keep most of the cheap death and conspiracy stuff, and the players don't need to prepare.
>>
>>43985588
What's everyone's destiny?
>>
>>43985588

I'm running a game based on FL. The players got their souls stolen at an in-game Christmas-expy celebration, and have trailed the spirifer to the fallen city. Right now, they are running errands for a devil who has worked with the spirifer in the past in exchange for info. As for the system, I'm using Unknown Armies, which seems to be a good system for it.
>>
>>43989849
How are you handling the effects of soul-loss in game?
>>
So, what did everyone think of Flint?
>>
>>43990019
It had some good lore, but honestly, for the amount they hyped it up as the biggest and best thing they've ever done I'm a bit disappointed.

Also I resent the fact that I'm invested enough to be paying.
>>
>>43990040

Straight up. I hoped for a lot more on the Presbyterate.

Maybe a reference to the destinies

>tfw I lost my deputy.
>>
>>43990105
Who was it?
>>
>>43990019
The Knapt and the Word of Caution were underwhelming for how much hype they got in Part I. Actually, most of Part I was underwhelming once we actually got to Part II, it kind of didn't matter which way you went.

The Bleeding Forest was cool but the mechanics were awkward. Caution and Apis Meet were interesting but ultimately just kind of curiosities. Drinking from The Wound and talking to the Bishop at the end were probably the most informative parts.

I'm glad I didn't accidentally permanently statue-ify my Forger.
>>
>>43990120

The Woman in Yellow. The snuffer from part I.
>>
I just used a cut-down version of FATE (i.e. whatever rules I could remember and scribble down on the train journey).

The Skills were replaced with the four cardinal stats. Aspects were renamed Qualities, though we still just called them Aspects - everyone had a Name (High Concept), Trouble, Profession, Affiliation and Ambition.

Mental Injuries were Nightmares, Social Injuries were Scandal/Suspicion, Physical Injuries were Wounds. Being "killed" in any of those meant you were taken to the asylum or dream-lands/shipped off to the tomb colonies or jail/died, and were out of play for the rest of the story (in theory - didn't actually happen). You could make a new character, and then bring your old one back - suitably traumatized - for the next story (or not).

That was pretty much it.
>>
>>43990161
Mechanically I would't worry too much, she isn't that great.
>>
>>43990207

She's not, but it troubles me from a role-playing perspective.

I just wanted to save her.
>>
What's everyone's ideal outcome for the story? My character is trying, against all odds, to get the passion destiny to pan out.
>>
>>43990281

He wants his wife back.

And he wants revenge on the Masters.

I think The Road destiny would also be pretty in-character.
>>
>>43989978

Sorry for the delay. I'm making them dependent on jade, consuming it to delay a wasting effect. It won't kill them, but slowly becoming a withered husk with horrible stat penalties, which will crumble if they leave the 'safety' of the underground isn't pleasing in their eyes.
>>
>>43990328
Well, dying if they leave is going to be an issue soul or not.
>>
>>43990306
The Road may involve hanging out with the Master's though.
>>
>>43990386

True. The Oath may be more fitting.
>>
>>43985588
I haven't played that since it was called Echo Bazaar.

I couldn't ever really figure out what to do, and the "you did three things, come back tomorrow" kind of turned me off.
>>
>>43990407
Or whatever the Eaten ending is. "A reckoning will not be postponed" and all that.
>>
>>43990410
The format is mostly pretty crappy and confusing, but I love the lore and world building so I keep coming back for more.
>>
>>43990427

That's true. I also picked an attempt to assassinate Wines during the exceptional story with the sunlight trade. The one that takes you to Paris.
>>
>>43990281
My Character's? Do whatever it takes to make the world a decent place for everyone, even if it means chumming around with and subsequently betraying anarchists, space bats, or star-gods of inviolable law.

Mine? Basically the same, except keep making darker and worse compromises until they become what they hate. Then get hit right in the hubris and gutter out like a (potentially literal) dying star.
>>
>>43990455
Wines is so adorable.
>>
>>43990281
To unlock all of the secrets man was never meant to know, and then steal their, most likely metaphysical and spontaneous-fire-causing shit that man was never meant to own.

And, y'know, win the Marvelous, just to see what happens.
>>
>>43990541

Knowing them it'll be what your HEART desires. Not what you yourself desire.

Or some other humorously misworded thing.
>>
I played a one-on-one campaign using FATE as the core system, but with a shitload of modified attributes.

It was just easier to go rules light and see where things became useful than to try and use a re-skinned rule system.

I think the player still has three points of 'Creeping up on Old Ladies' that he doesn't know how to spend yet.
>>
>started playing just a bit before halloween
>ended up with the Gloom destiny through one of the cards
I feel like this is a bad thing but I don't know enough about the setting of why.
>>
>>43985588
I'm starting one soon, I'm gonna probably be focusing more on the Zee, I'm using GURPS.
>>
Here's a good wiki for sunless sea lore http://thefifthcity.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fifth_City:_the_Neath%27s_Lore_Wiki
Also what would yall say are the abilities of the Devils of the Fallen London, they're obviously very powerful but i've not found anything that goes in depth on which ways they are powerful, I need to stat up a racial template for GURPS.
>>
>>43991938
The way I see it, Devils can't -actually- do anything to anybody who hasn't already agreed to it... it's their major restriction.

But if you even IMPLY they're allowed to do something to you, then they probably -can- and -will-. It's why the iron republic is supposedly so dangerous, it's an anarchy where ANYTHING is permissible, even bending the laws of nature.

So Devils will either be super easy to beat, or super hard, depending on what the players do. And remember, the social contract qualifies as agreeing to certain things, so attacking a Devil is usually implicit agreement that they get to attack you under the social contract you're both abiding by.

It's weird, and I'm not even sure this is fully correct as it's something that me and some friends on Echo Bazaar cobbled together about 3 years ago when we still played.
>>
>>43991938
They're bees, made of flame and hiding in husks of wax and paper, evaders of the boat man. Leave them flowers.

They live on the edges of Parabola, enemies of the Fingerkings. They seek the star spores, possibly to forge their own Judgement, to make the Is-Not, Is.
>>
>>43991938
>>43992066
The devils should also have better gear thanks to their time shenanigans.
>>
>>43992084
That's more the New Sequence and the Dawn Machine though isn't it? Devils are more interested in the absence of laws.
>>
>>43991742
What's the gist of Gloom again?
>>
>>43992066
Don't the Devils partake in some sort of hunts in the Forgotten Quarters I remember that if you got caught you'd get hurt, surely you haven't agreed upon that.
>>
>>43992159
You have a family in card form. Your goal is to make your family as unhappy as possible (with each card you place down you have to tell a bit of a story), before killing them.

Your goal is to make your opponent's families as happy as possible and killing them so that they can't be made unhappier.

A happy family member is negative points to your final score, unhappy family members are positive points. The game ends when the first player has killed off his entire family, and then points are only totaled up from DEAD family members. No one else counts.

>>43992192
I think the laws of Fallen London PERMIT that to happen in the Forgotten Quarter, they're not ILLEGAL, and so anybody going into the Forgotten Quarter implicitly agrees to allow it to happen to them.
>>
>>43992192
Devils can be pretty dangerous, they just seem to like talking people out of their souls for mysterious reasons. Also they're bees, and may just be dressed up as devils to fuck with people.
>>
>>43992129
The devils are extremely interested in the Correspondence (the language of the Judgements) and have been collecting souls (star spores - infinitesimally small portions of Judgement). I'm not sure what else they would be doing with it. Potentially destroying laws by creating an artificial Judgement to make Is-Not into Is, all known knowns into unknown knowns and known unknowns, etc. seems like it could work. It'd also win their turf war with the Fingerkings.
>>
>>43992225
No, the destiny.
>>
>>43992225
Really? Because that's not at all what was implied by the sequence that earned me Gloom during the halloween card.

I was killing the Mountain. Or the thing in the Mountain. I can't quite remember. I was at the head of an army in the Elder Continent.
>>
>>43992066
I like this. Though there is the obvious way to get around it in that while they can't do anything to you without your permission, they can get others to do something to you so long as they get the permission from them.

I love the way the devils are portrayed in Fallen London, the quest chain with the exiled deviless in Sunless Sea is among my favorite parts of the game.
>>
>>43992275
Uh, that's kind of bad depending on your perspective. The Mountain is the entity that exudes all the vitality that makes the inhabitants of the Neath be able to come back to life. Also why the Elder Continent is pretty darn immortal.

It/She is also the daughter of the Bazaar and the Sun, and is sometimes called Stone.
>>
>>43992328
>daughter of the Bazaar and the Sun
No no, Mountain is not that. Its heavily implied that the shameful daughter is imprisoned /within/ the Mountain.

Further Mt. Nomad is the Bazaar's granddaughter. Possibly the father being the Thief-of-Faces.
>>
>>43992328
And is the mother of Mt. Nomad.
>>
>>43992406
New guy
I dropped out of Echo Bazaar a while ago, but played the crap out of Sunless Sea, and I'm pretty sure the mountain in the Eldar Continent is implied to be Stone.
>>
>>43992406
>>43992439
She is.

http://thefifthcity.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mountain_of_Light
>>
>>43992439
Stone/Mountain is probably one entity. Its also almost assuredly prison for the daughter of the Sun and Bazaar who is one of the least talked about major figures of the setting. Everyone important seems to have agreed to never talk about it, too shameful.

The daughter may be the glowing stone(s) within Mountain.
>>
>>43990019
Ecstatic because I've had a bit of a crush on the Bishop for several months now
>>
>>43992883
Any word on if there will be any more spouse options in the future?
>>
>>43992490
>least talked about
that doesn't always mean the one we know the least about.
The Drowned Man is talked about a lot, but very little is said.
>>
>>43992490
The Mountain has a ton of fluff, probably the most of the three zee gods. Salt is by far the most enigmatic.
>>
>>43993357
Salt's from space, sent to investigate the Bazaar.
>>
>>43993384
I didn't say we know nothing. Salt is probably another Judgment, sent by White who had to change somehow to enter the Neath. Instead of investigating all the Neathy weirdness, it ran off East for some unknown purpose.
>>
>>43993412
No, Salt's almost certainly not a Judgement. Potentially something closer to the Bazaar's position on the chain. A true Judgement in the neath would invalidate the neath. That's why the Dawn Machine/New Sequence is so horrific.

Powerful certainly, but not enforce reality with your light.
>>
>>43993452
I can't remember exactly, but I think Salt was fundamentally changed getting into the Neath, so it may not be a Judgement anymore.
>>
>>43993452
So who would win in a fight, Mt. Nomad or the Dawn Machine in it's current state?
>>
>>43985588
What's Fallen London? Sell me on it.
>>
>>43993541
My money's on Nomad since if its getting into a proper fight with anyone, daddy's behind it and Thief-of-Faces ain't no one to be fucked with.
>>
>>43993568
Forgot to lose the name.
>>
>>43993568
Free-to-play browser "game", which is really more like an enormous choose your own adventure book. Kinda frustrating grindy mechanics, but the lore is super cool.
>>
>>43993577
>>43993541
Eh, I don't know, it's possible for the player character to hurt it, the Dawn Machine is a psuedo-Judgement, and it has control of the New Sequence. Plus the Thief-of-Faces already wants to kill everyone.
>>
>>43993568

Cosmic Comedy/Horror setting, in a sunken London just upstream from Hell. Populated by the Dead, the Living, Rubbery things and Golems, as well as Devils who may just be bees pulling the worlds biggest con.

Half the fun of the game is finding out the setting first hand.
>>
>>43993591
The mechanics? What about combat? Is it mainly focused on adventure? Sell me on it.
>>
>>43993634

Percentage system. You have core skills that slowly rise up the more you use them. Different tasks effect the change for success. Then the RNG decides if you succeed or not.

Gameplay is slow.

You get 1 action every 10 minutes, capping at 20 actions that you can hold onto.
>>
>>43993634
It's not really a game. You basically just make choices in the world to do stuff, and you succeed or fail depending on how good your stat in that area is. There are 4 stats: dangerous, shadowy, watchful, and persuasive which cover combat, stealth, observational skills, and charisma type stuff.

The part that makes it is that succeed or fail, you get well written flavour text and a really interesting setting.
>>
>>43993629

This. The game itself is a frustrating timegate browser game.

But everything in it is astounding and horrifying and hilarious.

My character's been in a whirlwind romance with a girl he met in a dream-opium den, literally came within inches of having his soul stolen, spends his evenings murdering members of his amateur murder club and is currently trying to pluck up the courage to seek an unknown monster and beat it to death with it's own teeth

And that's not even a big deal.
>>
>>43993707
>>seek an unknown monster and beat it to death with it's own teeth

Beware the Vake, Anon.

That well goes deep, and there is something very hungry at the bottom.
>>
>>43993620
Yeah, but you can't /kill/ Nomad.
Dawn Machine you just have to smash it. The real danger to Nomad would be the fleet protecting it. They could potentially fuck it up enough to make it submerge and consider that the whole affair isn't worth it, uncle Fathomking is making cookies.
>>
>>43993634
It also has some great literary influences and references. There's some T.S. Elliot, G.K. Chesteron, and Italo Calvino.
>>
>>43992883
>>43993035
Well, the Anglican Church allows marriage...
>>
What tips would you give new players?
>>
>>43990207
Yes, but why not save someone who would per a-die?
>>
>>43993634
if you like the setting but are in the mood for more of a game, you can try Sunless Sea.

Don't get quite as much story, though it's heavily story based, and focused more on the things around Fallen London than the workings of Fallen London.

>>43993707
Sunless Sea: I had to flee to the East in a Zeppelin I stole from apes, because I unleashed box full of revolution in London in order to gain the ape king's trust so I could steal his Zeppelin.

And that wasn't the weirdest thing I did that day.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.