[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Age of Sigmar worth it? I want to get into Warhammer, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 13
File: sigmar.jpg (73 KB, 481x364) Image search: [Google]
sigmar.jpg
73 KB, 481x364
Is Age of Sigmar worth it? I want to get into Warhammer, and I'm willing to drop the money for it, but I was just wondering if other people play it so I don't end up just having a large army bound to eternal shelf life.
>>
>>43980038
>Is Age of Sigmar worth it?
hahahaha
nope
>>
Its alright. The OG WFB community hates it, though, so dont expect a positive response from /tg/. You do you. If you like it, play it. If you dont have anybody to play with in the area, get others into it.
>>
Trial it with friends at a local game store using a few house minis. If theyre hungry for sales, theyll accomodate. Better than dropping a couple hundred on starting a game youll never play
>>
>>43981087
This 'game' has no sense and is embarrassing. And I didn't even played WFB.
>>
No, it's an awful game. If you want to play a fantasy-ish skirmish wargame, go for Warmahordes or Malifaux instead.
>>
>>43981108
>And I didn't even played WFB

Average AoS hater right here. Every single WHFB player I know including me prefers AoS.
>>
>>43981311
The twist is that you are the only FB player of your scene. As in, it was pretty dead before AoS regardless.
>>
>>43981385
There's about 15 of us.

That's still small for UK scenes
>>
>>43981311

Er, no, I played WHFB since the 90s and I despise AoS.

Look, I could get behind it. MAYBE. If they had some sort of FUCKING STRUCTURE.

Instead it's literally one step above 8 year olds playing with action figures.

I enjoyed army composition, tactics, outthinking my opponent, etc etc.

Now it's just fucking stupid.
>>
>>43981416
Have you played it? Because there's still a ton of tactics and composition work. Just now there isn't a 500 page £50 rulebook.
>>
>>43981407
I attended an event with 15 people for the niche that is 6mm Napoleonic historicals this weekend.

That doesn't sound like a good scene for meme workshops which is supposed to be the market leader.
>>
>>43981442
Those 15 are just the people I know as a time restricted Uni student, so there might be more idk.
>>
>>43981431

Help a brother out. I'd be happy to try it.

But everytime I sit down to play, I just stop at 'Okay, time to army build. Oh wait.'

What are you supposed to do to have an even match up?
>>
>>43981458
The game tries it's best to put fun over competitive autism. There isn't a point system anymore because they want you both to choose the armies that you think would be fun to use.

Just set an arbitrary limit for yourself, something like 6 units each, or use one of the tools over at /AoSg/ that calculates wound totals and such.
>>
>>43981456
>time restricted Uni student
hmmm. Is this a meme? As a recent graduate this is likely to be the most free time you ever have and I worked during my degree, which most don't
>>
>>43981458
You're supposed to work it out with your opponent.

AoS isn't a game, it's just a simple set of 5 page rules for messing around with your minis. It's for specific scenarios you concoct. The issue is all of those scenarios could be done with the more complicated rules of the previous warhammer. But for some reason, they decided to make a version with that as its selling point, and ensure that there could be no tournament scene. The game can't be competitive because the only balance is the balance the players impose.

All in all, it'd be a nice beer'n'pretzels game, good for casual play and having a laugh with friends, enacting cool stories on the tabletop.

If it wasn't so bloody expensive.
>>
>>43981508
What degree did you do?
>>
>>43981442
And at its home ground to boot.

I haven't met a single FB player that even considered AoS after a few tries It's 8th, 9th edition and KoW all the way here.
>>
>>43981311
>Every single WHFB player I know including me prefers AoS.
You must have been a pretty strange group of warhammer players
>>
>>43981620
You're assuming there are people who collect plastic miniatures that aren't strange lol.
>>
File: dc4.jpg (9 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
dc4.jpg
9 KB, 190x200
>>43981506
Wow... just wow!
>>
>>43981660
What's wrong with what I said? I got sick of flicking through 50 pages of rulebooks and codices before FB got shat up. I'm glad I can just do what I want now.
>>
>>43981525
Good beer'n'pretzels games at least are:
-entertaining
-quite fast
-memorable
-quite cheap

None of those stands for AoS.
>>
I bought Island of Blood to build a Skaven Army. Do you guys think I should put round bases on em so I can use it for Age of Sigmar? I'm basically asking if AoS is going to be the only thing my local GW will be running now
>>
>>43981525
>AoS isn't a game
>>
>>43981638
>lol we nerdz are so crazy!1! Right guys?
People have made and collected miniatures and statuines of dubious use and futile nature for millennia, why should someone be considered strange for holding interest in a hobby like this instead of another? How is someone who doesn't hold interest in anything but the most effective means of survival and instrumentalism, on the other end of the spectrum, less strange?
>>
>>43981766
Well, games have rules.
>>
>>43981712
GW stores don't support Warhammer Fantasy any more. If you want to play in one, it'll be 40k or Age of Sigmar only.

So mount them on square bases, find an LGS and play Fantasy there instead.
>>
>>43981937
Does AoS support Skaven? Is AoS actually alive compared to fantasy and will be played regularly?
>>
>>43981850
I was making a joke, bloody hell mate don't take it personal.
>>
>>43980038
To op and everyone, if you want constructive advice, head to /AoSg/ >>43946550

1st thing 1st you need a community to start with, if your flgs ain't friendly to AoS, I don't recommend you start.

However, if you are miniature painter, AoS really worth it, at least the start set have the best value on market(price and quality).
>>
>>43982275
Best value as the price has been slashed due to no one wanting it

And I don't see how a game where there is true line of sight bases can overlap can be especially friendly to modelers

Your best bet OP is to just buy GW minis and use them in Mordheim or KoW, so you don't have to use fan made rules for balance.
>>
>>43981525
>>43981506

But... even the most basic beer-and-pretzels games have at least SOME semblance of balance. Because a game is a test of skill against you and a friend. All games don't have to be competitive.

This isn't a game.
>>
>>43982381
It's a "Storytelling mechanism."

Oh, what's that? You wanted a competitive and balanced game? Well I suppose you could buy our books, with have a small selection of balanced out missions for you to play. What's that, you don't have the specific type of models in the specific number required for the mission? You'd better go buy some then! You mean you and your friend don't play those two factions that this mission was made especially for? Well this is a good time to start! Go buy a bundle!
>>
Look at it this way, OP.

WHFB, which was around for years, already had a shrinking player base to the point where GW thought it was worth taking the risk pissing them off by completely revamping the rule set and dropping an atom bomb on the setting to remake it as AoS.

It's dead. It's fuckin' dead.

If you want to get into the Warhams, just get into 40K. Even then, I wouldn't do that, since my local 40K scene is dying out. Oldfags getting older and no young blood to replace them.

GW seems to be funneling as much money as they can into video games right now (back to back to back releases of games, hoping to churn out a good one).
>>
>>43980038
If you think a wargame needs actual army composition rules then you won't like it.

Also the AoS community is hyper sensitive to criticism and will continue to insist wounds are a valid balancing mechanic. Or that having to discuss and agree beforehand in pickup games what you can use is okay.

There are two page PDF games designed for children to use with army men that have more structure and less leeway for arguing than AoS, its pretty inexcusable.
>>
>>43982381
There is balance though, but it's on a unit per unit basis.
>>
>>43982370
Don't put your word on me, the start set is nice even without "slashed", but that show you are classic aos hater. You try very best to pick something to "proof AoS is bad". How pathetic.
>>
>>43982475
No one claimed that "wounds are a valid balancing mechanic" in /AoSg/, this is nothing but your imagination. AoS have problem, you don't need to create one.
>>
>>43982561
Yes, anybody who does not like those crap models is a 'typical AoS hater'. Why are you people so offended whenever someone dislikes your game.
>>
>>43982591
Either you are a massive liar or you have not paid attention.
>>
>>43982597
Read between the line, there is nothing about model, actually it is not limited to AoS, most Internet hater act like you.
>>
>>43982620
Wound is vaild as a quick way to start a game, but no one insisted that is "vaild balancing", you are the massive liar here.
>>
>>43982628
He called the starter set crap, what else would he be talking about other than the models in it?

>>43982652
No, its not valid in any sense. And I have seen people say you do not need points because of wounds multiple times. Calling people liars for having problems with your game and pointing out the absurd lengths people go to defend it is just sad.

Thanks for both proving my point about AoS fans if nothing else.
>>
>>43980038
You could just find some a rulebook for the previous version of WHFB, you'd have a lot more fun.
>>
>>43982767
Don't move the goal post, the original line is"will continue to insist wounds are a valid balancing mechanic" and this is nothing but his imagination, he is lying about that line, don't move it to suit your word.

Anything new? Since your hobby is bashing someone else instead actual /tg/ related, so you have something to say, right?
>>
File: 4th-Battle-for-Maughtrond-Pass.jpg (211 KB, 747x513) Image search: [Google]
4th-Battle-for-Maughtrond-Pass.jpg
211 KB, 747x513
>>43980038

It all depends.
All you will ever get from /tg/ is a bunch of personal opinions of people getting their favorite hobby ripped from them after decades of spending time and money on it.

Some people adapt, and chose to go with the flow. And some people simply refuse to let go. Most of the time though, you will see the internet hate for GW and all its products has grown even larger with the start of AoS.
And as always, there isn't much of a thinking process behind the haters, they don't need to. Anyone spending 20+ years on a hobby that goes down the shitter has a right to be angry. I was angry to at first!

Now, back to the question at hand. Is it wroth spending money on?
Well, what are you looking for? If you're looking for a hobby which has the miniatures in its focus, where the goal of the game isn't to net-list you're WAAC gameplay to fit the local meta, but instead to simply field cool models you have painted to the best of you're ability. Then AoS is for you. Its that simple, if you know you will be spending 80-90% of the hobby in you're hobby room painting, and like the esthetics of the latest GW releases, you will have a blast with AoS! If you enjoy putting together custom scenarios where the goal of the game isn't who wins, but to enjoy the time spent playing, then again AoS is for you. If you're tired of gaming board games where you field ugly models because they are the better option, and simply want to have fun with friends, yes you know it, AoS is for you!

But... If you want to spend you're nights building cool army lists, discussing the usage and tactics of units, feel the adrenaline pump when you see you're up for a win, go to local tournaments, join you're local gaming club for weekly games... Then AoS isn't for you!
>>
>>43980038
You should have asked this question on the general >>43946550
You are mostly going to get a negative response outside of the general.
>>
I guess you could use Stormfront Eternal models for KoW Elohim if you like the aesthetic (lol). But there are cheaper angels out there
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 500x268
>>43981975
Depends on location, but Age is auite unpopular and stores have a hard time unloading starters.

Yeah, you can Skaven. You can anything, AoS has no army restrictions you can take any model in the game you want in the same force.

Check out the Mierce Miniatures ratmen for proxies by the way.
>>
>>43982421
GW doesn't have anything to do with making the Vidya.

They only license the IP to whoever wants to make it.
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 1274x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 1274x1024
>>43981506
>trying to excuse shit
>>
>>43983636
I fucking wonder why that is!
>>
>>43984193
Those models are ugly, cover a tiny fraction of the skaven range, and aren't even cheaper. Why do people make stupid suggestions like this?
>>
>>43981508
This. Computing grad, dissertation in my final year, worked as well, can't honesty say I was ever rushed off my feet.
>>
>>43984193
Proxies? Also I suppose it might be better to use square bases then if AoS fails to take off and they revert to FB
>>
>>43981525
To be honest if I wanted a beer and pretzels wargame (which this isn't as such a thing doesn't exist) it'd be BFG or that excellent Warhammer Skirmish scenario set they did.
>>
>>43984352
>and they revert to FB
hahahaha, not gonna happen. If anything they will drop fantasy entirely, moving 100% toward 40k and 30k. AoS was the last ditch effort before deciding to can fantasy entirely. If AoS doesn't work, then they can fantasy.
>>
File: image.png (631 KB, 774x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
631 KB, 774x750
>>43984314
Because the GW Abomination model is shit tier. Anything is better, which is horrible since playing Skaven you basically need one.

Anything is better. That's why there's more proxies and kitbashed home pieces for that than any other Warhammer model.

Plus Scar-skrath makes a better Verminlord.
>>
>>43983202
#1 post here. This is the best summary for whether or not you want to get into AoS or not.
>>
>>43984352
Even more reason.
Square bases will let you play other ranked wargames.

Round bases are for skirmish games, but by their nature the base doesn't matter in a skirmish game.

So you can't go wrong with square bases.

Try AoS if you like, I won't say its a bad game, but if you're looking into formations if troops and a complex wargame like tabletop Total War like I was when I jumped into Fantasy four years ago, then AoS doesn't work in any way.
>>
File: 1376370302754.jpg (337 KB, 791x1187) Image search: [Google]
1376370302754.jpg
337 KB, 791x1187
>>43984380

> which is horrible since playing Skaven you basically need one.

See, this is why they made AoS. Because stupid ass players "needed" to field models they found ugly.
Now you can fuck the Abomination if you dont like it, and only field the stuff that you want.
>>
>>43980038
No. but, get some pieces of paper or something, write labels on them for what piece they count as, and try a game with the rules without the investment just in case you enjoy it. The game is pretty garbage but some people seem to like it so give it a try, just don't let GW rapemurder your wallet just to try.
>>
>>43981311
I hate AoS and have 3 over 10k point WFB armies. My entire 40+ man gaming group hates AoS. I know 5 people who play it but still prefer WFB.
>>
>>43985706
Worth noting I enjoyed reading it until I tried it on the tabletop with a wound balancing mechanism. It was garbage for balance. We even tried 5 subsequent games with different players and me adjusting to try and make it balanced and it still came out with garbage one sided games where I either won with no effort or lost with them taking like 1/12th casualties. HE for example can shit on an entire ogre/empire army especially if backed by an ice phoenix, phoenix guard, and teclis.
>>
File: Kings-of-War-Sneak-Peak-Cover.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1687) Image search: [Google]
Kings-of-War-Sneak-Peak-Cover.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1687
>>43981712
Put them on the bases they came with and play Kings of War instead.
>>
Ask in AoS general, you'll get a decent reply there. All youre getting is austistic grognard saying MUH FANTASY BATTLES.

Game is fine. Its fun to play, its not competitive even slightly, but its possible to have a fairly balanced game. You can't play with shitheads who play to win. I played it a lot before the scene died when BaC came out.

>>43985768
Is wrong, its easy to play a balanced game. If youre having trouble try one of the comp systems, you'll fine them in the OP of any of the AOS general posts. I prefer the clash fo swords comp pack.
>>
>>43986041
Most of the comp systems seem to favor some armies. I'll give that one a try with a match but I wish GW had actually just kind of made a functional game.
>>
>>43986041
I've found with the comp systems i was getting a more exciting and balanced game than i ever did in 8th. goes to show even the fans make a better points system than gw.

i think gw knows this, which would be one of the reasons why they abandoned it

>Most of the comp systems seem to favor some armies
And gw's point system didnt? youre a fool if you think an official point system would do a better job. They have yet to do it in any of their current games
>>
AoS is way too new to determine whether it's good or not. I am new to Fantasy Warhammer period, and honestly I am just waiting for AoS to have more than just Stormcast Eternal and Khorne Bloodbound support.

In the meantime I have been slowly working on a Grand Legion Of The Everchosen Army cuz shit a Chaos army with Warriors, Daemons, Beastment, and Skaven is cool as shit.
>>
>>43986133
having "official" rules has the perk that it's much harder for opponent to start bitching about shitty rules
>>
>>43986429
>having "official" rules has the perk that it's much harder for opponent to start bitching about shitty rules
aahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

implying nobody bitches about shitty official rules

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
>>
>>43986041
> You can't play with shitheads who play to win.

Why play a game if you're not trying to win? Because some combos are cheap or some units accidentally op? Wouldn't it be better to have balanced rules so you can actually try to out think your opponent on the battlefield?
>>
>>43982628
And a ching-chong nig-nog to you too
>>
At the end of the day, nothing made me hate AoS more than actually giving it a fair go.

I'd been in the hobby a year at the time, and even then? It's nothing less than a personal insult that this thing even happened. If you can't see that, you're a goddamned moron.

This release soured the entire community. It's barely played here, at Scotland's most active branch of GW, even if it does have a small handful of diehard converts and poor dumb kids walking through the door to get sheparded to wasting their money on it.

Even the pure 40k guys took a huge hit to their enthusiasm for the hobby got the most part. The local non-GW clubs I track barely touch GW games at the moment.

Even discontinuing their fantasy range entirely would have involved going out with more dignity.

Ultimately, if I had to summarise AoS in a single phrase, it'd be "relentlessly depressing".
>>
>>43990867
That's interesting. It rejuvinated fantasy in my area. More people play it now than they ever did warhammer fantasy. About 3 or 4 of us play a game or 2 each week. We're collecting and painting warbands. We find it more interesting than fantasy ever was. We use SDK for balance and dont give a fuck. One dude is planning a tournament/event early next year. Still there are more 40k players, but that's always been the case.

This game is just great for existing hobbyists to get into. Since rules are free, all they need to do is buy the minis, and they don't need to buy very much. There is more to it than meets the eye for sure, and we discovered that.

Ultimately, if I had to summarize AoS in a single phrase, it'd be "deceptively good".
>>
I'm a completely shit new player, and so is my brother. We both bought army books for our respective armies, and are planning on playing with normal army structures and point values. In the mean time, while we build and paint armies that we can use for WHFB, were planning on playing AoS so we don't burn out/lose interest/whatever. Since AoS is more freeform, he and I can kinda use it to get a rough feel for units before we have a tournament eligible army.

I dunno I'm a newfag and stuff but I can see its merits.
>>
>>43992509
Hey man, if it works, it works. AoS is definitely free'er form for play. It's simple and good fun.

You pointed out using original prices, and that's a good way to do it. My first game played we did that and had a decent run.
>>
>>43984953

Hey man, I bought and painted this Nagash and really want to play him because he's cool.

...wait, what do you mean you don't want to because summoning is broken as shit?
>>
>>43981431

no, instead you have $100 for 3 models
>>
>>43993106
Right, because ALL models in AoS are priced at $100 for 3 models.

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>43982561

it isn't nice at all. the most expensive out of all the recent warhammer starters, with the least amount of miniatures and the least amount of detail on those miniatures

dark vengeance or island of blood are both way way better deals. not to mention literally ANY miniature kickstarter completely destroys the AoS box on a value basis
>>
>>43993206
>not to mention literally ANY miniature kickstarter completely destroys the AoS box on a value basis
Just this in, other miniature companies price their stuff cheaper than GW. More news at 11.
>>
>>43993155

no, the old WHFB models aren't, but they will be phased out. look at what's happening with the battalion boces of the DE warhost. the DE warhost could mad the third of your 2400 points fantasy army with 47 models for 75 squids, now you are getting three models for that price

check out all the new releases. everything AoS brought are way more expensive model-per-model bases than WHFB or even 40K is

of course the shill excuse is 'but but but you can play AoS with a single box!!4!!4!'. yeah fucker, have fun playing with your 3 models 'army'
>>
>>43993290
>However, if you are miniature painter, AoS really worth it, at least the start set have the best value on market(price and quality).

fail to see how this sentence is GW exlusive. Also, the box has the WORST value of actual recent GW starters too, so your point is moot anyway
>>
>>43993340
>but they will be phased out.
Right, like how the lizardmen plastic boxes were all phased out huh?

No wait, that's right, you're still a fucking idiot.
>>
>>43993340
to be fair, that's all across the newer model range, not just aos. all new releases come with a price hike, including 40k.
>>
>>43993340
*boxes and *or DE, way too tired sorry
>>
>>43993368

please kindly point me to the lizardmen battalion

oh, you can't

also, they will be phased out once the new, more expensive models arrive. now they are just repacking them and raising the prices. for instance, the skink box was $30 for 24 models, now $35 for the same amount. never knew round bases are so much more expensive
>>
>>43993442
You're still a fucking moron. Battalion boxes were being phased out long before AoS hit. This is not unique to AoS.

You seem to have the delusion that all the pricing and everything wrong here is AoS fault. It isn't. Your hatred has made you blind.
>>
>>43993491

no, no battalion boxes weren't phased out, they were changed to boxes like the warhost of naggaroth, dwarf battleline or the defenders of the forest, which were still pretty fucking good value

you seem to be not following fantasy at all, probably a new aos-drone, maybe a 40k convert. your GW-bias has made you blind
>>
>>43993565
So what GW is doing is taking existing models, repacking them with round bases?
>>
>>43993565
No, you got it wrong. Just because a few of the boxes still existed, doesn't mean they continued them. Before AoS, they still had a few of the boxes up, but not for every army. They were phasing them out. Even during End Times they were getting phased.

But it's pointless arguing with you because you're just a blind aos-hating moron. It's cool. You can think you won this argument. I will be getting nowhere with it.
>>
>>43993579
yea, for the most part they are staying the same price with the same models. a few cases they get a slight price bump, and a few cases a slight price drop. but nothing is changing in the kits other than different bases
>>
>>43993624

I got it right. The only battalions that were phased out were the DE, WE, and dorf one. all of them got replacements.

the lizard (sorry, 'seraphons') release is the first when a battalion box disappears without getting a new box
>>
>>43993649
Nice, I'm starting an army for FB so I don't have to worry about buying all new shit if I wanna try AoS, neato.
>>
>>43993672
not him, but gw was leaving the batalion box thing behind earlier this year, in favor of bundles. they had a few remaining, but they were just selling them out
>>
>>43993721
note they are removing the square bases and putting round ones in instead. not all the existing kits have this yet, though
>>
>>43993749
An easy conversion though, and I doubt any AoS players will care if my models have square bases instead of round ones.
>>
>>43993722

again, the only three battalion boxes that were left behind all got replacements. army boxes disappearing never happened until AoS, you are just talking about rumors
>>
>>43993793

putting them on squares is the smart thing to do as you will be able to use them in WHFB/9th age/KoW too. the issue is tho that that's again an extra price tag on the boxes, buying the extra square bases. I guess you can sell the round bases which come with the boxes effectively breaking even
>>
>>43993798

not surprising senpai, you can't justify the fucking piece of wall for 60 squids when that price can buy you an ogre battalion
>>
>>43993840
This is why I plan on buying a battalion now while they are still a "FB" battalion, before they get a new box and different bases.
>>
>>43993206
Price hike is general GW bash, nothing to do with AoS starter. DV, IoB are proof nothing but price hike, however all 3 starter set are good value when they launched.

For sure DV and IoB beat AoS in price, but not the quality. Seem that you only care about the price, right? I was talking about the value to "miniature painter" don't move the goal post.
>>
As a newfag, what edition rulebook should I buy for WHFB?
>>
>>43994402
technically the newest is 8th most people say 6th is best.
In practice you should ask the people you intend to play with though.
If you are new enough to not know that WHFB is dead by now I have bad news for you...
>>
>>43994238

the quality? you mean the shitty bland sigmarines versus the detailed sea guard sculpts? the retarded-legs dragoncat versus the griffin? is this some subtle joke?
>>
>>43994865
>opinions vs opinions
>>
>>43994973

well, >>43994238

was the one who started that argument. if you discount that the only thing that remains is DV and IoB beating AoS, so the 'best value starter' just isn't true
>>
>>43995244
"if you are miniature painter, AoS really worth it, at least the start set have the best value"

Stop moving the goal post, my original line was talking about miniature painter. In term of quaility, unless you enjoy to paint that 40 clanrat form IoB. I don't think any painter would love so.

DV somewhat is arguable, however you keep ignore that line is speaking to painter instead gamer, at this moment I ain't sure you are just stupid or troll.
>>
>>43995912
>at this moment I ain't sure you are just stupid or troll

when someone deters to personal attacks it is a pretty clear sign he is out of arguments

anyways, I think a unit of 20 detailed clanrats with full commands are better to paint than 5 bland liberators. More details, more models to paint, the unit looks better (the last one ofc is subjective)
>>
File: IMG_20151204_205521.jpg (987 KB, 2592x1458) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_205521.jpg
987 KB, 2592x1458
>>43996016
Show us your work, stupid troll that like moving goal post, now personal attack.
>>
>>43980038
Don't listen to crybabies on /tg/. Rule Set is tight and well balanced, miniatures are a pleasure to look at and the setting is a true breath of fresh air to be enjoyed by all.
>>
>>43996040

yeah, you completely lost

to make you even more mad: I have just checked the clanrat unit from IoB, with the details like little rats, different shields, different rags, different armor, different weapons there aren't two that are the same of the 20-strong hw/shield unit. meanwhile, two of the liberators are literally the same
>>
>>43996079
This is bait
>>
>>43996040

what does the guy's work have to do with his argument?
>>
>>43996099

this is a serious image board anon, only CMON top 50 guys have rights to comment
>>
>>43981712
AoS measures from the model, round/square bases don't matter
>>
>>43996084
Yeah because declaring yourself winner in an argument ongoing is a sure sign of maturity. You obviously don't know how sprues work.

All parts within the same sprue may be unique, but when you have multiples of the same sprues, that's when you get duplicates. Because the stormcast eternals are much bigger models, there are less of them per sprue, meaning more duplicates.

The clanrats, however, are much smaller and more are able to fit on a sprue, so it would appear to have less duplicates.

On top of that you have the theme of the armies. Stormcast Eternals are regimented disciplined units all wearing the same uniform armor and wielding the same uniform shields and weapons. So it would appear to have less variety bits-wise. It is the style of army. I would actually be disappointed if all their armor and shields were unique.

Clanrats are rabble hurrily equipped with junk they use to poke things with. So it makes sense that each shield and sword would look different, because theyre not a disciplined uniform force.

But none of this matters because you have obviously declared yourself winner. I'm not even the guy you are arguing with, btw.
>>
>"The sky is falling!"
>>
>>43996216
I remember when people used that to argue how GW wasn't going to scrap Fantasy.
Turns out the sky actually does fall every now and then.
>>
>>43996233
Scrapping fantasy would mean they cancelled their fantasy miniatures and products line, which they didnt do. Nothing's been scrapped, bro.
>>
File: AoS fans.gif (3 MB, 315x236) Image search: [Google]
AoS fans.gif
3 MB, 315x236
itt
>>
>>43996204

nope, the guy completely lost when started to bring up things like his paintjob and shit which has no correlation to the matter at hand

also, you are arguing against a strawman. never said that there aren't reasons that the sigmarites are more bland. only said that they are more bland, which you promptly strengthened while calling me stupid
>>
>>43996040
>>43996204

most obvious samefag this week
>>
>>43981850
Collecting miniatures may not be strange (it is), but your response was so disproportionate and ranting that it's obvious you're the weirdo who gives other well-adjusted tabletop players a bad reputation.
>>
>>43996084
Lost for what? The original goal post is "if you are miniature painter, AoS really worth it, at least the start set have the best value", you just keep skipping thisbline and claim yourself won?

I post model pic, because I enjoy my hobby via painting and gaming maybe, the pic is proof of my word. However, all you can do is nothing but your hobby is shiting on internet, instead anything related to/tg/.

So, anything new? I'm helping you to develop you hobby, shitpost on internet. ;)
>>
>>43980038
Just buy Dark Vengeance.
>>
>>43980038
>I want to get into Warhammer

40.000, son.
>>
>>43988245
>Why play a game if you're not trying to win?
Of course you're going to try to win. It's a matter of degrees. It's less fun facing or being the guy who took only the best units for his army.

... Though to be fair sometimes it would be fun to do a Helm's Deep kind of thing.
>>
>>43981937
Gotta love my GW, where there is still a shitload of Fantasy stuff in here.
>>
>>43980038
Some GW employees here will say it's fun but really it's not. My group tried to like it but we all hate it
>>
>>43980038
If you are looking for a wargame, as in more than 50 minis on the field, go for Kings of War or WHFB.

If you are looking for a skirmish game, go for Warmahordes, Malifaux or Mordheim.

Even if one may like the AoS minis design, the ruleset is absolutely retarded and the billion of special rules make the game slow down to a crawl all the time.
>>
>>43981680
Sorry most things require thought
>>
>>43994703
I intend to carry the torch
>>
>>43998606
There is a bunch of loonies that are doing 9th edition on their own.
Google 9th age, that should give you their inofficial set of rules.

To be fair you can also play WHFB using KoW rules, which supposedly is much more balanced and a better set of rules all around.
>>
>>43994402
What other people play. If you intend to start a group, 7th edition rulebook and 6th edition army books.
>>
So since I'm just starting out, is WHFB seriously going away? Is GW going to stop producing minis? Should I just quit before I've even started?
>>
>>43998844
There's just something about ranks of night goblins and units of troops with melee weapons that does something for me that nothing in 40k does
>>
File: zxl58Pv[1].jpg (109 KB, 1280x764) Image search: [Google]
zxl58Pv[1].jpg
109 KB, 1280x764
>End Times

>Age of Sigmar

The End Times and the resulting Age of Sigmar was basically Games Workshop's big middle-finger towards everyone that enjoyed Warhammer Fantasy, and they used it to basically discontinue Warhammer Fantasy, but to keep using the brand name for a new setting.

If you want to get into Warhammer Fantasy, do so, but ignore everything after and including The End Times.

I personally love Warhammer Fantasy and will never understand why they chose to can it, and to can it in a way that irrevocably damaged it. It's hard to find freely available information that hasn't been contaminated by End Times/Age of Sigmar, these days.

Even Lexicanum treats End Times/Age of Sigmar as canon, which is a fucking joke. For all intents and purposes, it's a new setting.
>>
File: imasamefagapparently.jpg (20 KB, 380x153) Image search: [Google]
imasamefagapparently.jpg
20 KB, 380x153
>>43996359
>>
>>43980038
It should be pretty obvious you are going to get mixed reviews. Best thing to do is this:

If noone plays it in your area, like with any game, try something else.

If people play it in your area, try before you buy.
>>
>>43981311
I'd be willing to try it with it's simplified rules so long as it actually had a fucking structure to it, but it's just like "HADURR BRING YA MODELS WHAT ARE POINTS VALUES"

It's great for casual fuckery and dicking about having silly games, but if you and a friend really wanna go head to head and have an intense skirmish it just isn't happening here.
>>
>>43992951
Nagash is not broken if you use it without spamming summons. The problemi is not him, is the two hundred other models you bring.
>>
Nope it's literally min/maxing the game.

Spend ridiculous money on a few op units that can tank someone who tries and builds a big whfb type army on the cheap
>>
>>43980038
Games are only worth it if their are other people that are playing that game, Vampire the card game might be really great but no one plays it around where I live so dropping 50$ on it is a pretty dumb investment.
>>
>>44004448
"But you told me I need just one box, Mr. Redshirt, why I need all those summon units too? My Mom only give me $100 a week and I need new Xbox too."
>>
>>44004650
"Are you literally retarded kid? I just said the opposite. What part of Nagash is not broken unless you bring two hundred other models you didn't understand?"
>>
>>43998898
You know what would have been good for a post-End Times setting?

A sort of WHFB Fallout setting.

Here is my basic idea

The Chaos Loonies came out of the north, the Lizards came out of the south and the big slave rebellion happened at the same time and the Dark Elf society did not survive. The stupid thing was that the Dark Elves weren't even on the immediate fucking your shit up list for either Chaos or Lizards. They were just in the way. By the time the northern Lizards and the Chaos warbands finished hacking each other to pieces Naggaroth was a very empty place. There are coastal settlements left, a few river villages. Its about the only place where elves and humans live in sort of peace together. Both former slaves. The slave masters either learned to run and hide and assume new lives or they were hanged if they were lucky.

In turn the Lizards were royal fucked up by Skaven who suddenly turned out to be everywhere. They took a hell of a toll with them and they id survive, barely, so yay for lizards. All the Slaan over the 5th generation are dead and so are most of the 5th. Disturbingly a new generation has been spawned in the light of a blood red comet and the death of a moon.

The High Elves are holding on but they are not so high now. Their island sunk. The magical sink hole in the middle comploded and the whole land mass dropped about half a mile. Some of the taller mountains remained above the waves and what survivors that there were managed to build some sort of life on those new islands.

Breton? Kislev? The Empire? WTF are they? Old names of dead nations in dusty old books half forgotten and mostly irreverent. Humanity doesn't go to far into the forest anymore. It is not theirs. They have the riverbanks and coastline and some islands in the Old World. If you can see the sky uncovered you are probably safe. Or at least safe from the forest. Or at least a bit safer. Best to be back in the village walls by sun down.
>>
>>44004866
There are no human nations left. Some holy orders remain, such as they are. Under manned, under equipped and over worked. Grim and bitter and without mercy or humour. They keep the roads at least occasionally passable.

There are no halflings left. The Moot is a wyrd stone studded crater deep in the forests and far beyond where people go now.

The chaos doorways at the poles are sealed. This allowed at least some sort of world to endure. without it closing the gods would have stepped through in all their glory. It also cut off the demons on this side. So cut off they are barely above human and indeed many of them possess the chieftains of warbands for their own protection as much as anything. They are stuck and not even death is an escape and they are desperate for a way back home.

The warband themselves are changed. They can't rely on just pillaging and raiding all of the things now to sustain the good times. For one thing there aren't enough people left to pillage and raid. For another the gods are more distant. Their blessings are weaker. They are, much to their own disgust, becoming ever so slightly civilized. If that is the right word. Not that this is evident to the poor bastards they skin alive and hand from the trees. Their attitude towards anyone not them has not changed.

The forest of Athel Lorain is out. When the chaos door slammed shut, the moon exploded, the elven homeland sunk and the big ass ward stones shorted out and crumbled. Its influence has spread now across the entire Old World. It is maybe reasonable and not to bad in some places but in others even the Wood Elves don't go.
>>
“It is the purest folly to believe that an individual can save Armageddon. Wars are not won by heroes, they are won by firepower and force, and the application of strategy and tactics.”
-Commisar Yarrick

Then tell me Commisar, why are GW's games getting further away from such tactics and closer towards individual poster boys that don't actually win wars?
>>
>>44004830
"I don't care if it's broken, I just want to beat Timmy! So how many zombies I need? Or should I get skeletons?"
>>
>>44005102
Wood Elves are the most populous of the elder people and their numbers, much like their forest are on the rise. Of all the old rulers only their Queen survived.

The Orcs and Beastmen are in a constant war of attrition neither can seemingly win or loose in the twilight realm under the leaves. They are innumerable and stuck in a war off attrition that has left most of at least one continent uninhabitable to anybody else. The wood elves do what they can to direct them away from settlements ant towards each other but it's a thankless task but they know that if their fail they will have failed forever. The unholy war must continue. If there is ever a victor the whole world dies.

The last patch of semi-civilization is the Stirland and Sylvania. It's also a good example that not all civilization is worth the effort. It is ordered and protected but only at the behest of its blood drinking lords and ladies. Rumor has is that Vlad von Carstein is not quite so dead as many would wish. His battle with Nagash at the end of the world was maybe not so final. lad von Carstein, king of the living and the dead, may very well be sleeping and recovering.
>>
>>44005479
Not sure what do do with the dorfs, skaven or ogres.
>>
>>43998844
>So since I'm just starting out, is WHFB seriously going away?
It's gone. I have no strong opinion regarding Age of Sigmar (I like some minis and the concept of a mythic age fantasy mini game but dislike other minis and am leery of the rules, not having tried the game) but that's what's taking WHFB's place.

There MIGHT be a re-reboot of WHFB at some point, but from a sales viewpoint it's a saturated market and WHFB was hardly selling to anyone below the age of 30 and had a high entry cost with a fairly stagnant player base which was partially toxic to new players.

> Is GW going to stop producing minis?
No. But they may end up getting entirely different sculpts depending on your faction of choice.

>Should I just quit before I've even started?
Really depends. If you're interested in fantasy miniature games you can still buy the minis (new or old) and play WHFB with people you recruit/find. You can also find decent fantasy minis from others like Mantic, sometimes cheaper. I doubt WHFB will stick around much longer without good fan revisions, as the rules have almost always been lauded as unbalanced. Without new releases its fanbase should be dwindling, regardless of AoS's success.

Option B is other fantasy games. You could play Age of Sigmar or you can play 40k if you're alright with space and mostly in it for the GW sculpts. I also believe Mantic's Kings of War fills much the same need and has more generic fantasy models for a cheap-ish price than you can shake a stick at. Warmachine has steampunk robots, Malifaux skirmish-level fantasy/steampunk cowboy stuff. There's probably some stuff I left out here, but that's fantasy alone.

It's not an easy choice.
>>
File: stone-dwarf-2.jpg (175 KB, 487x611) Image search: [Google]
stone-dwarf-2.jpg
175 KB, 487x611
>>44005563
Skaven would probably be openly feasting on the world's rotten corpse. The chaos moon crashing means that warpstone is plentiful, the shattered nations of Man can't resist the tide of rats so well and the sudden glut of resources means that millions more rats can survive to adulthood (forcing them out of their warrens from the sheer pressure and coincidentally giving them the courage to be seen out of the underworld in large swarms). The only thing keeping the world drowning in rats is the constant, constant backstabbing (and frontstabbing) at all levels of society. The most powerful Skaven Lords have set up mini empires for themselves, but sheer paranoia keeps them from expanding too much and prevents them from delegating effectively or working with the others of their race.

Ogres become a diaspora spread throughout the world and work for whoever will keep them fed. There's probably a lot of Chaos ogres, if only because there's a lot more mutated flesh to go around. Ogres in general would probably start going after the Skaven eventually - lots of tasty ratflesh to go around, and Moulder especially would cause grudges by preying on them for Rat-Ogre fodder.

Some Dwarves would remain in the few surviving holds out of sheer spite, probably closing all entries and exits with magic or sheer tonnes of rock. They would probably end up a bit like Vaults in Fallout - isolated and developing really weird cultures as a result of the cabin fever, high technology Runes, occasionally throwing out groups when they need something really specific. The rest of the Dwarves I suspect would take up the Slayer Oath - they'd failed their Gods, their kings and their culture by failing to prevent the apocalypse, so now they would set out to murder every last horror in the post-apocalypse. Ever dwindling numbers, but becoming increasingly elite over time.
>>
>>43980038
First of all check to see if anyone plays it in your area.
It was received well in some countries better than others. You won't find any AoS players anywhere in NZ, but I've heard it was more popular than Fantasy in a few areas in the Netherlands for example.
Then look at the Age of Sigmar line of models. They're different stylistically to WHFB so you may or may not like them.

If there's local players and you like the models then check the ruleset (it's free.) If you think it's something you'd enjoy playing then get into it, if not don't.
>>
>>44002107
>>43998898
>>43997572
>>43990867
>>43983202

Switching to AoS is kind of like switching from D&D to a rules-light system.
You think it's a downgrade, but then you realize that all the obnoxious minmaxers that sucked all the enjoyment out of playing in stores won't come near it and that it's pretty fun.
After a while the worst thing you can say about it is that the switch didn't happen sooner.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.