[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M/TG/ Standard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 16
File: mtgchandra.jpg (154 KB, 640x447) Image search: [Google]
mtgchandra.jpg
154 KB, 640x447
>Standard thread
>Worst format thread
>Stale asshole thread

Can we mix this up already? Any 4 colour discard decks? R/U/B combo? U/R tokens?

I really don't care anymore as long as it has a reasonable to expect plan to enact.

Also, why did no one like Origins besides our continued molestation of baby jace? At least Chandra and Liliana were worth getting a deck flowing. You act like we won't get bolt within the next two blocks.
>>
>>43977758
Why is Nissa still like 20 bucks? Where is she seeing play?
>>
why were Arabian Nights cards so popular when no one had them?
>>
What kind of prizes does your LGS give out for FNM/Standard/Draft?
>>
>>43978050
boosters and fnm single promos
>>
>>43978392
only for winner or top 8?
>>
>>43977951
U/G control is real and real boring. mana gorgers with counter and tokens.
>>
>>43978400
boosters top 3, anything extra for winner, top 8 get something
>>
>>43977758
So we're gonna get another Kozilek coming up?

Are there any Legendary Eldrazis other than Kozilek, Emrakul and Ulamog in the lore that we haven't seen a card for yet?
>>
File: 写真 2015-12-04 17 52 31.jpg (502 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
写真 2015-12-04 17 52 31.jpg
502 KB, 1600x1200
I love using waifu cards as token creatures
>>
File: 写真 2015-12-04 17 55 06.jpg (456 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
写真 2015-12-04 17 55 06.jpg
456 KB, 1600x1200
>>43980466
Attack formation!
>>
File: 1448796995928.jpg (25 KB, 400x438) Image search: [Google]
1448796995928.jpg
25 KB, 400x438
I've got old friends coming over from out of town this month who want to play standard with me. I haven't played standard since RTR block. How hard would it be to build a deck on the fly? What's the current meta like?

I really like black.
>>
>>43980480
where did that blazeblue counter card come from??
>>
>>43980859
meta currently says "Play black/white/X". almost all midrange swingers.

I'd say just draft. BfZ is only fun in limited formats like draft.
>>
>>43977977
No one had them because they were popular. The small print run was not as big an issue at the time, the player bases was still very small.
>>
>>43980466
>>43980480
>GobRins
>>
>>43977758
Fine, I've got 3 chandras and 1 liliana. Tell me how to make this viable tonight.
>>
>>43980964
BfZ draft isn't even that fun though
>>
If I exploit a Sidisi's faithful to bounce an Anafenza, the foremost does faithful get exiled?
>>
>>43985191
Yes, assuming it's exploiting itself to do it. Sac is part of the cost of the exploit, which in turn immediately goes to the grave which in turn exiles it, then Anafenza gets bounced.
>>
>>43985529
Alright that's what I thought

Thank you
>>
Touched up some stuff tonight, r/b aggro and u/g combo.

>>43984113
That's what's in my r/b aggro. The idea is to keep the board open and just rage swing through. Duststalker, Languish, Ultimate Price, Impulse, Titan Strength, Monstary Swiftspear, Blood-Soaked Champion, moonglove
>>
>>43977758
Does anyone have experience with B/U aggro?
>>
Bringing naya allies a la gideon, planning on make any esper players my bitch tonight
>>
Any sites where I can get a booster box for less than 90? where do you guys go?
>>
>>43980480
Where do I get a nazi flag playmat?
>>
>>43990834
That looks like one of those Kancolle ship girls underneath that guys hand. So try looking through some Ship girls playmats.
Otherwise you could get that shit custom made, I think.
>>
>>43980859
put temur battlerage and become immense in a deck and attack with dudes until you win.

seriously though, this standard's iteration of red deck costs like 400 dollary-doos to build from scratch. caveat emptor.
>>
>>43991757
>Kancolle
>small c
>>
So im pretty new and one of the friends im playing with says that when my attacking creature is blocked its power goes down Based on the toughness of the blockers for that turn. I thought the damage was to all attacking and blocking things simultaneously so my attacker does damage to all its blockers equal to it's power. Im pretty sure im right but i dont know. What he is saying is that if my 5/6 is blocked by 6 1/1s that i will only kill 5 of them because i wont have any power left to kill the 6th one.
>>
>>43994059
you assign the amount of damage you deal to each blocker. you can't assign more the creature's power. he's right, you'll only be able to kill 5 of them.
>>
>>43984174
Don't want to derail this into a draft thread, but my experience has been: I draft a deck that's a trainwreck I'm certain is going to get stomped and lose horribly, then somehow win because every other deck is somehow worse. Has anyone else felt this while drafting BfZ?
>>
>>43994403
this is literally how I feel about every draft deck I've ever made
>>
>>43994239
So it isnt 5 to everything you are just spreading your power out to kill as many things as possible? What if i use hunt the weak to kill something and then swing without blockers would my guys power still be lower because he fought a creature that turn?
>>
>>43994585
you divide the total power as you choose among the blockers. if 5 creatures block a creature with 5 power it can do 1 to each, 3 to one and 2 to another, 5 to one and 0 to the rest, etc.
>>
>>43994585
oh and to make sure you don't misunderstand dealing damage doesn't "reduce" the creatures power any. it remains the same total number so fighting doesnt lower a creatures power any
>>
>>43994612
Oh okay. Does it stay that way till the end of the turn or just till the end of the combat phase?
>>
>>43994666
Oh okay thats what i was wanting to know. We have just been playing by the little rule sheet that i had from an intro pack and looking up rulings and such as we went. I had to find out since i hate being called a cheater. I will probably just get a rulebook or something since it is pretty annoying trying to find answers online.
>>
>>43994612
actually I need to correct myself on one part. from the comprehensive rules:
>510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns no combat damage. If exactly one creature is blocking it, it assigns all its combat damage to that creature. If two or more creatures are blocking it, it assigns its combat damage to those creatures according to the damage assignment order announced for it. This may allow the blocked creature to divide its combat damage. However, it can’t assign combat damage to a creature that’s blocking it unless, when combat damage assignments are complete, each creature that precedes that blocking creature in its order is assigned lethal damage. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. An amount of damage that’s greater than a creature’s lethal damage may be assigned to it.

Your attacker has to assign lethal damage to a creature before it can assign damage to the next creature

And as to what your thinking of, dealing damage doesn't cause that creatures power to be "lowered" but taking damage does mark that much damage on it until end of turn and effectively "lower" it's toughness. if a creature with 5 toughness fights a creature with 3 power, then takes 2 damage in combat, it will be destroyed. the same is not true for power.
>>
Our store has started to do the following recently.

When you go to fnm, you buy a booster that gets opened and drafted at the end of the night. So basically we pay for other people with better decks than us to get better cards.

What he has started to do is upon buying booster foe said purpose the staff collects it and it is then randomly given to other players to open.
The owner claims he is doing this because people are getting good prizes and then dropping from events.

Our events typically have 10 players and most I have ever seen was about 50 for origins prerelease and even still the store uses I'd matching so that higher win rates get better choice.

My silent protest so far has been attending less events buying less of his shit and selling my cards to him. Also buying sets with shit rares and mythics so that I'm not losing out.

Am I wrong and shop has every right to do this because of low turn out and dropping players or should I be saying fuck you this shop sucks and not spending a dime there.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43996111
I'm not understanding what is happening.
The store owner is making you buy packs as an additional fee to play fnm? Packs someone else gets to open, and then a another party gets to keep?
Their rationalization doesn't even make sense.

that sounds shady as fuck, and the owner knows it
>>
>>43996187
The pack *IS* the entry fee.

If you want to enter you buy a pack.
From there it gets given to owner who then mixes them and randomly gives them to players to open.
Then based on your ID you get choice based on how you did at the end of the night.

The argument he uses is that people open money and then drop.
>>
>>43996239
The easy solution here is to just not do payout at all until the tournament is over. Is the owner retarded?
>>
>>43996239
>pay entry fee
>a pack of whatever is added to the prize pool
>prize pool packs are distributed back to players and the opened packs are 'drafted' according to rank after the event concludes
that's just fucking stupid.
>>
>>43996239
>Drafting prize packs based on ranking
>Drafting prize packs at all

tell the owner that's retarded, and that your going to take your business elsewhere
>>
>>43996380
Just to be clear by "drafting" what I mean is there is 12 people (example) 1st place takes choice of an opened pack then 2nd etc until Timmy gets 50 cent rare because he can't afford 400$ decks.

We are NOT actually literally drafting packs for another event.

Certain most understood this just wanted to be 200% clear.
>>
>>43996430
Yeah, that's still fucking shady as hell
Additionally it would drive away players faster
>>
>>43996430
I would NOT play at a store that did this. Ever. I wouldn't even purchase from said store. I'd rather give my money to a business that has earned it
>>
>>43996430
wait so just to clarify the store is holding a constructed fnm event where the prize is packs which are opened and you get to choose from based on ranking?

>The argument he uses is that people open money and then drop.
Do people normally open their prize packs before the event happens?

I really do not understand how this works
>>
>>43994403
I really hate how in this format one person with no idea what they're doing can very effectively ruin multiple archetypes at the same time while ending up with a useless deck so everyone loses. The other day I was in a pod with someone drafting U/G landfall bears/control
>>
>>43977758
How about Esper Starfield control? Too lazy to put it on tappedout

It's shit but fun

Creatures x4
2x Felidar Cub
2x Wasteland Strangler

Spells x14
2x Disperse
3x Dig Through Time
1x Dark Petition
2x Languish
1x Crux of Fate
1x Silumgar's Command
2x Ojutai's Command
2x Utter End

Walkers x1
1x Ob Nixilis Reignited

Enchantments x15
4x Silkwrap
3x Stasis Snare
3x Monastery Siege
3x Demonic Pact
2x Starfield of Nyx

Lands x26
4x Flooded Strand
4x Polluted Delta
3x Sunken Hollow
3x Prairie Stream
3x Shambling Vent
2x Mage Ring Network
1x Swamp
1x Island
5x Plains

Sideboard:
3x Dispel
2x Negate
1x Utter End
1x Monastery Mentor
1x Silumgar's Command
1x Self-Inflicted Wound
3x Surge of Righteousness
2x Languish
1x Crux of Fate
>>
>>43996760
The way I have always seen it done is

Show up

Buy pack to enter.

Get seated.

Open pack.

Put on counter along with the other open packs.

Play as normal.

End of event.

1st place chooses 1 pack then 2nd then 3rd.....

Promo card

Roll d20 for binder with 20 pages that has assorted promo foils. Unwanted buy a box or game day promos. May
May or may not get to do this. Seems to forget it alot.

I just don't see why have this prize.

Funnier yet one of the staff was looking at prizes last night and noting that some of us were "cheaping out"
>>
>>43997022
That seems really weird... like how every other place does it is

Show up

Play event

Get some packs, more if you win more less if you win less

Open your packs and keep the stuff

>The argument he uses is that people open money and then drop.
Like if they do it the normal way this is not a problem because people get the packs after. And if someone wants to pay to enter an event just to get a pack they could buy normally then open it and drop that seems good for the owner anyways

this whole thing seems really stupid but i dunno if its intentional, the owner might just have no idea what to do
>>
>>43997022
>Open pack.
>Put on counter along with the other open packs.
wat
WAT
SHADY AS FUCK

>Funnier yet one of the staff was looking at prizes last night and noting that some of us were "cheaping out"
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
>>
>>43997022
That doesnt seem legit to the way FNM is supposed to go. I wouldnt go to that game store and I only do pre releases.
>>
>>43990206
>not support your LGS
Why?
>>
>>43997199
>paying $120 usd plus california tax
that's why
>>
Does your lgs only give prizes on fridays?
>>
>>43997310
we have prizes every day there's like paid events
>>
>>43997247
In AUS boxes are around $200 or more
>>
>>43997247
>>43997516
Well damn. I only pay $100 for my boxes.
>>
>>43990206
You can get boxen for super cheap at GPs, if there's any nearby.
>>
>>43997886
GP?
>>
>>43997889
one of the magic tournament thingies
>>
>>43997889
Grand Prixs
>>
>>43997886
I thought only pro players can go to those
>>
>>43997930
these ones are open invitation, and they have a bunch of side events you can play in if you drop from the main tourny
>>
>>43997930
Nope, you're thinking of the Pro Tour. Anyone with a deck legal for the appropriate format can participate in a GP, and you can enter the venue and buy cheap sealed product even without participating in the main event. Side events are a tonne of fun too, and aside from the big ones, not at all competitive.
>>
>>43997941
dope. the oakland grand prix is coming up, I might just go and draft. How much are the boxes usually?
>>
>>43997022
We have something similar, We each buy a pack, it goes to the prize pool. After the event packs are opened, content laid out on the table and we get to each pick something (1 rare, 3 uncommons or pile of commons, foils count as rares). First place picks first, second second etc. I personally like it this way, it ensures first place always gets the best cards and everyone gets something, even if it's a crappy rare noone else wanted.
>>
>>43997947
Here in Europe they're typically 70~80 yuros at a GP, whereas they're 95~100 if you buy them at an LGS. GP Brussels also had a seller that sold full sets of C15 for 100 EUR.
>>
>>43997516
Lol what? Even fucking gamesworld sell them for $175. Other local card stores sell for $175-160.
>>
>>43996380
>>43996430

Timmy needs to git gud.
>>
>playing fnm for prizes
literally the worst.
>>
>>43998029
I mean, sure, playing Magic is fun in any case, but I'd rather have fun and prizes than fun and no prizes.
>>
>Jace, Vryn's Prodigy banned
>Jace, Vryn's Prodigy reprinted in a duel deck

Which of these is more likely?
>>
>>43996111
Where is this at? I will actually call them and rationally explain why they're fucking idiots.
>>
>>43997022
This is pretty antithetical to the concept behind FNM and is predatory. If you have other options, go there instead.
>>
You people play with Jews. Our tournaments are six bucks, we get a pack up front (pop it whenever, it's ur fuckin pack) and a pack gets added to the prize pool. Top 8 get promos. 1st gets half the packs, 2nd and 3rd split the other half. Spots old promos to top 3 if the crowd was one of those sad 8 or less.

Maybe rednecks are just nicer to each other but yall gettin screwed.
>>
File: 1437840322749.png (2 MB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
1437840322749.png
2 MB, 1600x899
>Tfw on a run in standard where it feels like I can't win matches no matter what I do

Opponents forever seem to be top decking the spells they need and drawing gas while I continue to flood. I always try to be critical of my play but it just feels like my luck isn't in at the moment and it's killing my confidence.
>>
>>43999840
Too much chance that it backfires and irl drama happens.
You could say anything, doubt you would but this is the Internet.

Not out for a personal army or vengeance but had to vent my frustrations.

I am about ready to sell off all of my shit and just only play free commander there.
>>
What the hell is this Great Aurora deck I keep hearing about? Last I heard Great Aurora was shit. Did I miss something?
>>
>>44002835
I've seen it before but didn't realise people were playing it again, it's basically a ramp deck that uses the Great Aurora to reset the game and start way ahead of the opponent.

It's a janky deck at best, not even tier 2.
>>
>>44002835
it's a 9 mana sorcery that doesn't fucking throw your enemy into THE NEXT DIMENSION, of course it's shit
>>
>>43997022
Well, the first part they do might just be another way of giving out prizes. Instead of giving out sealed boosters they give out opened boosters. The difference is that 1st place can chose the best booster. I just don't understand why YOU open the booster and then put it on the counter, instead of the owner opening boosters and putting them on the counter.
How much is the entry fee besides buying that booster?

I only know 3 LGS so far and in one there was a line of prizes on the counter: 3 boosters and a FNM promo; 2 boosters and a FNM promo; 2 boosters (any recent set); 1 booster (any recent set); 1 FNM promo and 2 rares; ...; last was 1 FNM promo. 1st place chooses first (usually the 3 boosters + promo), then 2nd place, ... and the last place gets the rest. I like it because everybody gets something.

But your store seems very shady and, if there is another place to play, I would never go there again. Perhaps you could write down exactly what they are doing and ask WotC/DCI if that is allowed.
>>
I'm thinking about building this deck. Looks pretty fun. Could it be at least semi competitive?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cold-hands/
>>
>>43979679
Those are the only three
>>
>>44005173
>no fetch lands
BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

good luck
>>
>>44005198
that we know of. every new block will introduce a new "lost" eldrazi titan MaRo said it will keep cohesion in the storylines and an overarching, ever present threat.
>>
>>44003200
Lmfao, I remember when my opponent used a Great Aurora deck and I ended up drawing 3 counterspells in my new hand and wrecked his shit
>>
>>44005173
Seems cute, doesn't really seem like the right answer to the "Planeswalker decks loaded with five-drop bombs are dominating my local meta" that that guy is talking about as its not going to go under them, especially with that pact. And it just dies to atarka red and abzan topdecks.

Though rite of undoing is really cute and I might steal it for my pact deck
>>
>>44005207
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cold-hands/
i play no fetches and top 3 out of 30 in a competitive meta. it's always gonna be better but it's not always gonna make a difference.
>>
>>44005173
you need card draw in hand destruction otherwise you're investing more than you can afford
>>
I just posted this in the Modern general, one anon suggested I ask here. I'm just copypasting because my question and intent hasn't really changed:

A friend and I both want to start playing MTG.

However, we both know that it can quickly become a pay to win money sink.

My question is, would a starter deck and say 5 boosters be enough to build a reasonably tight deck? By which I mean a deck that supports itself in a well defined playstyle.

We were thinking of making that the limit of our investment for each of us, and we'll be trading cards with each other so we can each get a deck more like we want.

We'll only ever be playing against each other, we just want to do it for fun.

All this is just to say I don't care what you think is a good deck in terms of high level tournament play.

Neither of us know enough about the game to be concerned with specific optimizations, or care enough to spend 5 dollars on a single card.

So to reiterate, what would you recommend as a good beginners "Starter Package" for people who want to keep the cost of investment into the game as low as possible?

I'll make this extra clear since someone in the Modern thread didn't understand:

We are only looking to play casually, not competitively. For fun, not to win tournaments.

Thanks!
>>
>>44008364
play Pauper

Standard is too expensive to get into for new players.
>>
>>44008457
I keep getting pushed to different versions,

What is MTG Pauper and how do I find it?
>>
>>44008364
for fun, i'd say get an intro deck each you both like.you get 2 boosters in them anyway. get more boosters if you want more fun. then later, if you want to start playing at your LGS, think of tweaking here and there. If you're both happy with just playing each other, get more intro decks / boosters / fatpacks / clash pack decks
>>
>>44008582
Thanks this is more in-line with what I was asking about

How many do you think is enough to give us some good initial choices and customization, as well as the ability to play around a little later, and trade with each other?

We don't want to buy anything after our initial purchase.
>>
>>44008617
you might as well just buy the intro deck by themselves really, in those say 10 packs you get total you might get like 10 cards each you might want to add to the deck and then just be left with 90% of it as useless stuff that doesn't fit into your decks
>>
>>44008651
That sounds pretty good to me, thanks
>>
>>44008617
if you don'twant to buy any more after initial purchase. then i would suggest buying an intro deck and a fat pack each. if it is for fun, then go wild and buy an intro deck and fat pack from any set.
if you think one day you may want to play strangers, probably best to get intro and fatpack that is currently in standard, ie, bfz/origins/dtk/ogw

with an intro and fat pack you'll get a 60 deck with a theme, 11 boosters,1 dice,1 deck box, 1storage box and a pack of 20/25? lands ofeach colour. more than enough to offer a ton of customization and crazy decks.
>>
>>44008708
i think you also might want to consider getting a set of duel decks maybe, its a set of 2 decks for playing against each other, slightly more powerful than intro decks im pretty sure which gives them more replay value
>>
>>44008767
Thanks, I'm going to use this as the basis of my research

>>44008771
I think we'd each like some choice at least in what kind of deck we have. The most fun we both have had with these games is having a strong theme of our own meant to counter the other persons playstyle
>>
>>44008483
Pauper is a format that uses only cards that was printed as a common at any point. The most expensive thing you might ever buy in Pauper is the sleeves.

You can read more about it at http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper
>>
>>44008909
I did some research after I asked, thanks though.

So now my question is, do I need to like, plan and build a deck in advance and then look for each card individually at the store? Or is buying an intro pack considered Pauper?
>>
>>44008364
For players just starting out I always suggest Starcitygames's 1000 card gold bundle. You get a crap load of worthless cards of varying rarity. But you get to see a huge cross-section of all the different magic sets.

It's exactly the kind of thing I would of wanted when I started magic and if you and your buddy just do like cube sealed decks out of it, should keep you entertained for a long time.
>>
>>44008996
Not exactly considered pauper if you buy an intro deck, but buying it isn't exactly a bad idea if you do want to get involved with Standard. I just recommended Pauper because it's super cheap and is played primarily for fun, which is what you wanted.

That being said, planning ahead is something you should generally try to do with any deck in any format. Just figure out what colors you like running and go from there, really.
>>
>>44009105
Yes, but I mean if for example I wanted to play Pauper exclusively, there's no packs or anything like that I could buy for that?
>>
>>44008996
>Or is buying an intro pack considered Pauper?

Nope so the first one is true.>>44009097
>>
>>43978402
Lmao no it's not.
>>
>>44009323
Pauper is a format. It was just mentioned here because it is cheap. You can't buy pauper decks, because pauper is what you build with the "otherwise useless leftover common" cards after you took the "good" cards for other decks.
Since you just want to have low-budget fun, just take all the cards you have after your first shopping tour. There will be some good cards of "rare" rarity as well. As other anons said, the event decks make for a good start, they are prebuilt with some inner consistency. Intro decks are similar, but of lower "quality", which shouldn't concern you much with your plans. I don't have any experience with the Duel Decks, but they seem to be okay. To any of those decks you can later add other cards, when you get bored with the same old same old.
>>
>>44009573
Thanks, this helped clear it up. I think I'm ready to move forward now
>>
>>44009097
>a crap load of worthless cards of varying rarity
Do you mean actually worthless or worthless for anyone playing competitively against strangers?
>>
>>44009806
Nothing in the lot would be worth $, but not worthless in actually playing the game.
>>
>>44008483
Pauper is not a beginner format guy. It's more fouled up than modern, and almost as degenerate as legacy and vintage.
>>
>>44010154
Okay, thanks
>>
>>44010211
Do you have any real actual reasons or are you just going to keep using vague buzzwords?

Fouled up how?

What is the word degenerate even supposed to mean here? How would a beginner know why legacy and vintage are also degenerate?
>>
hey standard. played at my first standard event in 2-3 years with abzan rally. 4-0'd it with ease.

i guess playing actual formats in the mean time make you a pretty good player. :U
>>
File: no.jpg (142 KB, 1249x684) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
142 KB, 1249x684
>Standard is fucking shit right now
>LGS rarely has anything else at FNM
>>
>>43987140
is Naya Allies even all that good? I figure Mardu or Abzan allies would be much better all things considered.
>>
>>44012049
Modern?
Even my LGS started doing EDH but not on FNM...
>>
Deck im playtesting right now, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/narsetty-rebound/
>>
>tfw been interested in the game since Scars but still haven't gotten into it
>missed my chance to attend Origins prerelease
>BfZ is a heaping pile of shit

Will the SOI prerelease be a good starting point for a newbie?
>>
>>44012049

Standard is alright. Just find a deck you like playing and Jam with it. It's the upside of having no "Best Deck." You can play whatever you want and as long as you know how to play it well you'll do reasonably well.

Hell the only undefeated player at the current SCG Open is running 4x Pitiless Horde in Abzan Aggro to combat the Control Matchup.
>>
>>44011961
let me guess.. you play vintage?
>>
>>44016540

highlander!

not edh, like, actual highlander.
>>
Ban this sick filth.
>>
>>44017908
Though it still sees play in Legacy and Vintage, it would drop the price a lot as standard players try to shift off their now useless playsets rather than try to invest in older formats
>>
>>44017908
as a rally player I don't lose to this.

I only lose to atarka red decks and "playing Anafenza the Foremost".

not Abzan mind you, just Ana, and the second I have the easy answer to her, its back to winning the game easy again.
>>
>>44015427
Yes. You're gonna get spoiled cause it's gonna kick ass but yes.
>>
>>43978050
Boosters, promos and holiday gift boxes/ intro decks
>>
>>44017562
why?

>>44018076
I'd love to play in an lgs where creatures resolve.
>>
>>44018076
Aren't the Abzan decks running Hallowed Moonlight now?
>>
Rate/10
deck tk/0tFx5DWD
I enjoy it.
That one local guy who plays jeskai blyat also enjoys playing against me.
>>
Is golgari dead? Are there any viable golgari decks?
>>
>>44020421
Aristocrats come to mind.
>>
>>43980964
Barley fun in draft too
>>
File: gurmagangler.jpg (37 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
gurmagangler.jpg
37 KB, 265x370
>>44020421
Here is what I'm trying to make work. I've been trying to make it work. It's not very good, because it gets fucked by mantis rider, which is all over my meta right now, and I don't know how to get reach into the deck.
>>
>>44020569
The solution is simple
Murderous cut
>>
>>44020605
I have 4 in the deck,
>>
>playing mtg
>not playing card fight vanguard
>>
>>44020635
wot about plummet?
>>
File: Abzan Aristococorally.png (228 KB, 701x1854) Image search: [Google]
Abzan Aristococorally.png
228 KB, 701x1854
Thoughts?
>>
File: tempo.png (2 MB, 1868x847) Image search: [Google]
tempo.png
2 MB, 1868x847
thinkin' bout surrak dragonclaw as a 1-2-of in the board.

deck kinda loses to tron because 'exile two things on cast' but other than that it's been bredy gud. flash dudes and bullshit triggers are definitely in my wheelhouse.
>>
File: 1387604401449.png (302 KB, 363x321) Image search: [Google]
1387604401449.png
302 KB, 363x321
>>44018516
i've been on moonlight for weeks now. it only prevents rally blowouts, the deck itself functions just fine without rally.

>>43978050
store credit. lots and lots of it.

for example, our legacy night drew 16 people and paid out 32, 24, 16, and 8 at 5 bux a head.

modern is about the same at 3 bux.

standard runs 5 bux with door prizes based on attendance (intro packs, fat packs, booster box, etc.), plus you get a pack for signing up.
>>
>>44019491
Please respond.
>>
>>44020920
I don't remember my exact decklist, but I played a deck like that

Purely anecdotal, but in my experience it was very *very* good at not dying, but was absolute dogshit at killing. Therefore, games would go way too long to be enjoyable

I had some Exile things, and I played Ulamog Nullifier, but otherwise my list was similar. The Surrak that you mentioned was often the only way I could win, so I recommend it (though I recommend against the deck)
>>
>>44021950
I've heard that the Rally decks are trimming copies of Rally because it isn't essential, but the deck still seems so vulnerable to sideboard hate. Not to mention that Anafenza is a blowout if you don't have an immediate answer for her, which most of the Rally decks don't pre-board.
>>
File: indignation cliff.jpg (64 KB, 361x520) Image search: [Google]
indignation cliff.jpg
64 KB, 361x520
How did /tg/ react to picture related spoiler?
>>
>>44023363
Shit artwork
Shit effect
>>
>>44023363
Yeah Im gonna need a source on that one
>>
Got 4 Origins fatpacks for $15/ea at Fry's today.

What should I do with them?
>>
>>44017908
He's going to lose value once fetches rotate.

He'll be much harder to flip early game when you want him to.

Also once he rotates he'll probably drop to $20-25
>>
>>44023608
open jayces
>>
>>44023363
I wasn't here when it was spoiled, but IMO it's no surprise that they'd continue the cycle after Lumbering Falls and Shambling Vent. I'm pretty sure that there will be BG and UR manlands as well.
>>
>>44023608
They sell cards at frys? how long is the sale?
>>
>>44025538
No idea how long. I've never actually been to one before today.
>>
>>44025781
what were your pulls?
>>
>>44026104
Didn't open. I'm going to draft with my buds. (If they're not down, I'll probably open though)
>>
>>44020863

Hey anon. I'm the person who 4-0'd my Standard event, I played Abzan rally too. Here's the list I'm currently on, I'd love to discuss it with you.

4x Blisterpod
4x Carrier Thrall
4x Elvish Visionary
4x Zulaport Cutthroat
4x Catacomb Sifter
4x Nantuko Husk
3x Grim Haruspex

3x Rally the Ancestors
4x Collected Company
2x Murderous Cut

1x Plains
2x Swamp
2x Forest
2x Canopy Vista
1x Cinder Glade
1x Smoldering Marsh
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Sandsteppe Citadel
1x Evolving Wilds

I'm still tweaking the numbers. Like I said, I've only entered 1 tournament and 4-0'd it.

Some general thoughts on your list: Sifter needs to be a 4 of, Husk NEEDS to be a 4 of, Rot Shambler is garbage. Executioner is dead in a lot of matchups so it's more of a sideboard card. I tested Ascendancy and hated it. It's the definition of winmore. The scenarios where it helped me win and I wouldn't have already won were very few, and I sided it out every match.

I had tried to build BG aristocrats so I had the jund manabase which is why mine looks the way it does. Some lists run the Flooded Strand + Sunken Hollow package to make Strand along with Foothills (+Marsh) an Abzan fetch but I didn't want to shell out for Strands so I stuck some Mires in there which might not be as good but do the job. In testing I can fairly consistently find the 2 basics necessary with 13 fetches and 5 basics compared to the U version with 8 fetches and X basics but again, the numbers need to be tweaked. Evolving Wilds is criminally underrated in this format and 2 might be necessary.

I can see your manabase working but it's definitely less consistent. You have waaaay fewer B/G sources, but that might not matter? Iunno.

Also, I think 4x Rally is probably more correct, I was basing my list off the 4c version which has Jaces to find/recur Rallies. An argument could be made for Sifter/Haruspex doing enough digging that 3 is fine but it's debatable.

Good luck!
>>
>>44026229
Aren't the booster distributions in fat packs fairly uneven? You could end up having a draft where a dozen mythics or zero are opened.

That aside:
>Drafting Origins
>>
>>44026535
Oh really? I didn't know that about fatpacks.
>>
File: The portcullis is superfluous.jpg (33 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
The portcullis is superfluous.jpg
33 KB, 223x311
>>44026811
Booster boxes are generally better for drafting since they usually contain 3-5 mythic rares, fat packs just have a completely random set of boosters which can make for some wonky power levels between decks when you use fat packs for draft. Although the best mythic in the set isn't even a mythic rare.
>>
File: korn.jpg (7 KB, 210x250) Image search: [Google]
korn.jpg
7 KB, 210x250
>This 5-Colour Bring to Light vs. Jeskai Black match on SCG
>>
File: Zada, pretty much Izzet Heroic.png (129 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Zada, pretty much Izzet Heroic.png
129 KB, 223x311
>>43977758
Okay guys, got a Zada deck going. Tell me what you think:

3 Zada, Hedron Grinder
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Secure the Wastes
2 Sure Strike
4 Defiant Strike
2 Battlefield Forge
3 Mountain
3 Monastery Mentor
2 Dark Dabbling
3 Mardu Charm
2 Butcher's Glee
2 Titan's Strength
1 Bone Splinters
2 Vulturous Aven
1 Ultimate Price
3 Nomad Outpost
4 Shambling Vent
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Swamp
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Canopy Vista
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Brutal Hordechief

The plan is simple, as it's pretty much "Mardu Value Tokens". You either use tokens and boosting spells to slip damage through, sacrifice tokens for excellent effects, or play Brutal Hoardchief and out-clock stuff like Atarka Red.
The icing on the cake is Zada and a few voltron-cantrips. Using Zada, you copy the whole spell including the card draw, meaning that Defiant strike now draws as many cards as you have creatures.
One last note about defiant strike, don't be afraid to plant it on your opponent's Jace in the first few turns to cycle!
>>
>>44026535
hey i LIKE drafting origins
>>
>>44028722
Who doesn't?
>>
Why are there no draft generals?
>>
>>44029228
A limited general would probably stay alive at least for a while after a new set.
>>
>>44028722
Really? It was just a fight to see who could fill their decks with the most Topan Freeblades.

>>44029228
I've tried making them in the past but they've never gotten replies.
>>
I want to play mono white. Anyone know a competitive manner?
>>
>>44031731
Not sure why you'd want to run a single colour when the fixing is so good and there's not a competitive mono white deck out there. But you'll definitely want Archangel of Tithes, Wingmate Roc Knight of the White Orchid, Stasis Snare and Mastery of the Unseen to name a few cards.

ORI Gideon is good in aggressive beatdown decks, BFZ Gideon is good in more midrange strategies.
>>
>>44031854
how can i get more card draw?
>>
>>44031982
The card draw options in White are few and far between, those that do exist are clunky and/or situational.

You could always splash blue for cards like Anticipate and Treasure Cruise.
>>
>>43977758
>lol i play eldrazi

:^)
>>
>>44017562
Which Highlander? Canadian, points, banlist.
>>
>>44037502
'Just highlander' is typically German highlander, that is, 100-card singleton with no other special rules.
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.