[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: The best systems you've ever played. Pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: pic516746.jpg (239 KB, 812x1077) Image search: [Google]
pic516746.jpg
239 KB, 812x1077
ITT: The best systems you've ever played.

Pic related, I love the Storyteller System.

Also this thread is inspired by >>43930668

P.S.: I want to try new systems.
I want something exciting, but Storyteller was my first RPG system, and I'm not sure what to play next.
>>
File: gsegs.jpg (391 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
gsegs.jpg
391 KB, 1536x1152
>>43966320

Some extra info about my choice:

Storyteller gives a good balance between crunch and fluff, rules and freedom.

While I know many people hates it because the GM has too much power to decide what to do in unique situations, I have no problem with this whatsoever.
Every game has issues like this.

Also Storyteller was a good system for a beginner like me.
It's just comfy.

When I read D&D and Pathfinder books, I saw limitless rules - and every little action required too many rolls.
When I play I want to have fun.
And Storyteller is just perfect for that.
>>
>best systems you've ever played
Meet the best universal system for lapsed wargamers, people with huge miniature collections and people who just wish all the polyhedrals in a set got more love.

Also, I happen to think nWoD's rules are far superior to oWoD's. But going further into it would be too negative for this thread
>>
>>43966442
>Also, I happen to think nWoD's rules are far superior to oWoD's. But going further into it would be too negative for this thread

Not at all.
In fact, I'm open to discussions like this.

I usually say that cWoD's fluff is superior to nWoD's, but it's possible that nWoD's crunch is the superior one.

My only problem is with nWoD books is that they're ugly (yes, it's an aesthetic problem) and a bit confusing.
I like simplicity.

But no further problems from my part. :)
>>
>>43966442

Also please tell us more about your Chosen One!

So is this a board game?
I mean you need miniatures to play, right?

I've never played board games light 40k - as I said I'm a minimalist and pen and paper style RPGs were always my favourites.
>>
>>43966510
>I've never played board games like 40k

fixed
>>
>>43966442
Nwod is a better system than Owod in my opinion. The metaplot of Owod is also not up my alley, I like that the Nwod splats are more of a toolbox for storytellers to create interesting settings and tell unique stories.
>>
>>43966479
I don't especially enjoy the fluff from oWoD either in some cases (Immortal blood-drinking horrors that've been there since recorded history and your best explanation is "God did it"? Seriously?) but frankly since there's translation guidebooks for the big three lines which fluff and rules you like best isn't a big problem.

I had great fun mish-mashing stuff from old and new into my last game, like letting a nWoD vampire from the Mekhet clan develop Tremere blood magic, or setting a converted Nexus Crawler on the party near the end of my campaign.

>>43966510
Savage Worlds is an RPG, and it can be played without minis and a map grid, but it uses templates for a lot of area effect attacks so the general assumption is you'll be using them. There's stuff in the main corebook on going without.
It's very fast, very fun, and strikes a good balance between realism/lethality and being easy to get to grips with.
>>
>>43966545
>I like that the Nwod splats are more of a toolbox for storytellers to create interesting settings and tell unique stories.

Where should I start if I want to get into it?
>>
>>43966572
>There's stuff in the main corebook on going without.

Is the core book that 20-30 page pdf you posted before?
>>
>>43966479
Honestly outside of Vampire pretty much all the nWoD fluff is a huge improvement over the old lines as well. Changeling the Lost beats the absolute shit out of the Dreaming, Awakening is a lot whole more coherent and straightforward than Ascension and Forsaken got rid of all the narrow and two-dimensonal hippy enviromentalist shit that bogged down Apocalypse so you can get more done with the spirits and tribal politics.
>>
>>43966922
Nah, that's the free quickstart rules. The Deluxe core rules are like ten bucks/pounds/whatevers.
Definitely worth it if you like what you saw there, though.

>>43966877
Core book for humans, X: the Y books for turning those humans into whatever the fuck your chosen X is.
Stay away from 2e/God Machine Chronicles books though, those are shit
>>
>>43966572

Does Savage Worlds have a setting? I feel like I always hear that it's good as a modular system, but I don't know of any setting like, say Eberron.
>>
File: Rippers back cover fixed.jpg (311 KB, 824x1062) Image search: [Google]
Rippers back cover fixed.jpg
311 KB, 824x1062
>>43967982

(Let's try that without losing all the text.)

While there's no default setting, Rippers is pretty cool.
>>
File: World of Darkness.jpg (126 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
World of Darkness.jpg
126 KB, 1024x770
I LOVE the storyteller system, but I have to say that FATE does the World of Darkness better than ST does.

WoD really feels like its trying to be narrative with all its fluff but its system comes off as too gamey and defined where abstraction is perfect for it.

That being said I love incorporating ST into custom settings all the time, or just making ST characters for the sake of it.
>>
>>43966320
The best system I have played is violence the game
>>
>>43968182

I heard someone once say that Storyteller is actually a superhero system with a coat of gothic paint.
>>
File: sw chase rules.png (1 MB, 1194x770) Image search: [Google]
sw chase rules.png
1 MB, 1194x770
>>43966442
I too love Savage Worlds.

Everyone always shouts GURPS for recommendations, and while its nice having a rule/sourcebook for everything. Savage Worlds works because its few simple rules function on such a large scale.
>>
>>43968224
oWoD yes.

nWoD everyone's too fragile to be superheroes.
>>
>>43966320
Mutants and Masterminds 3e. Because it's the best game I've played yet.

Maybe something will change someday, but for now I like it.
>>
>>43968393
M&M is the best d20 system and I don't even care for superheroes.
>>
>>43966320
The story teller system is horrid.
Love the settings though. I've probably played more V:TM then everything else put together. W:TA is the same outside of V:TM.

But the system is TERRIBLE.
>>
>>43966320
>Roll more dice if your better
>Rolled 1s cancels any successes (8+)
>More dice = more 1 = less successes
Nice one WW
>>
>>43968798
It kind of makes up for it in that for most rolls there is a mechanical advantage to get more hits.

If we both roll for damage for example and I roll 5 dice and you roll 10 it's possible you can one shot kill me, I just can't do that to you.
>>
File: gkui.gif (906 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
gkui.gif
906 KB, 500x349
>>43968213
>violence the game
>>
File: 1485.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1485.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>>43968798
>sometimes you're not lucky in a game
>it's the dices' fault
>>
>>43968798
>>43968827

I've always felt that Storyteller makes a lot of actions realistic.

Yeah, you can be a skilled fighter / politician / scientist, everybody makes mistakes.

Even if you're a professional MMA fighter, you can have a bad day, a wrong move and that's it... shit just got real.

This also makes sense in magic: you have a bad day and Paradox fucks your shit up.
Or a younger Tremere just has a lucky moment.
Anything, really.
>>
>>43967952
>Stay away from 2e/God Machine Chronicles books though, those are shit

Is 2e that bad? Really?

Damnit - I thought the idea of the God Machine is pretty cool.
Isn't that a Lovecraft-themed game?
Can you even mix it with vampires and mages?
>>
>>43968798
Do you not understand that it's to constrain the growth of number of successes?
>>
>>43966320
Ironclaw.
>>
>>43966442

>Click
>First word I see is Lankhmar

You have made this anon a happy anon today, anon.
>>
>>43970593
>Ironclaw.

Why?
>>
>>43966320
I like cwod's system alright but oh god I hate combat in it. So much rolling. SO much rolling.
>>
>>43967982
Deadlands its the closest as a setting for it, but it has some good ones around, also it is the system that the new Rifts will use, if glitterboyz, technowizards, actualwizards and pyschic cyborg cowboys float your boat.
>>
>>43966439
I like MtAs, too. Just make sure you have like-minded GM/Storyteller. It cuts like 90% of problems you'll face.

Alternatively, play Technocratic Union.
>>
>>43971120
>So much rolling
>Only 1 more roll on average than DnD
>Combat lasts only 4 turns on average
>>
>>43977076
>>Combat lasts only 4 turns on average

So does in dnd
>>
>>43977112
Uh what. Combat in DnD lasts like a lot more than that once you get past level 5.
>>
If you hate rolling so much, the best system for you would be the One Roll Engine.
>>
It's a tough call, I've been enjoying Hero system lately though it definitely has flaws, and I've had some great times with FATE as well, but I'd say overall the best RPG system I've played would still have to be DnD 4e.

As for storyteller, I played some Hunter and it was crap but that might have been the STs fault, not the system. I did kinda hate how rigid the "dots" system actually is for a game that clearly wants to encourage creativity.
>>
>>43977076
>Only 1 more roll on average than DnD

Modern D&D is a fairly roll-heavy system already, so being "only a little" heftier than D&D isn't saying much.
>>
>>43977246
>I did kinda hate how rigid the "dots" system actually is for a game that clearly wants to encourage creativity.

Hmmm.

How would you fix that?
I'm really curious, because I like MtA and I'd love to upgrade it.
>>
>>43968484
My nigga
>>
File: why I hate FATE points.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
why I hate FATE points.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>43966439
Well you're right. DnD and Pathfinder are bloated with rules.

My favorite systems would be FATE, New World of Darkness, and Savage Worlds. I also think I like Apocalypse World, but I've never had the chance to play it. I know my group well enough to know it would be a disaster.

If you are looking for new systems and coming from Storyteller, I'd recommend FATE, Atomic Highway, or any of the One Roll Engine games. They are all somewhat similar in mechanics to White Wolf, are very narrative focused, and don't stack up pages and pages of rules the way a lot of games do.
>>
>>43968224
Well, Scion certainly is. It's also one of the biggest trainwrecks of a system I've ever had the displeasure to play.
>>
>>43968182
>FATE does the World of Darkness better than ST does
Honestly, FATE does a lot of things better than the systems meant for them.
>>
File: Ba Dum Tssh.jpg (18 KB, 398x343) Image search: [Google]
Ba Dum Tssh.jpg
18 KB, 398x343
>>43968484
>best d20 system
>>
>>43970993
Furries.
>>
>>43966320
best game i ever ran used Apocalypse World. Been in love with the system ever since.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.