[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Say something good about the game, system or book that you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 10
File: tg storytime.jpg (33 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
tg storytime.jpg
33 KB, 500x551
ITT: Say something good about the game, system or book that you hate the most.
>>
40k is a somewhat interesting setting.
>>
I don't hate any games, systems or books. I have no enemies in all the world.
>>
>itt:repost a thread, any thread, as long as we have had it 100 times before
>>
FATE has a good idea behind the meta-abilities of the PCs.
>>
>>43952549
Who the fuck cares about a bunch of rich people from New York who don't know how to talk to each other?
>>
>>43952597
This post is writen in clear english.
>>
It led to a lot of objectively better games using the same engine.
>>
>>43952596
I wish I could be like you, senpai
>>
The artwork was nice.
>>
>>43952549
It has some interesting ideas
>>
Games Workshop, despite all else, do make some nice models.
>>
4E actually did a good job of balancing power levels across classes.
>>
>>43952549
I save up my hate for people.
>>
Not all the ideas in it were bad.
>>
>>43952549
GURPS...has some okay cover art occasionally?
>>
4e does ' squad- based tactical combat boardgame for people who want a time investment and don't mind a gamist mindset' better than anything else I've seen. I know that sounds less sincere the further you read, but I do mean it, and I make sure I give props to 4e players I meet in the wild if only to keep it going.

5e helped me realize I'll probably just never be happy with anything, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate parts of things and enjoy them in a vacuum.

Numenera has fantastic art, 11/10, and the books really do create this atmosphere of never quite getting what's going on but in a positive way, which is a good way to take advantage of an atmosphere that already relies on the abstract.

Despite how dippy this sounds, my posts are normally a bit vitriolic. I enjoy these threads a good bit, though, thanks OP. Sometimes I wanna talk opinions without a fight. Gave me an idea for a thread I'll do later.
>>
Shadowrun 4e has just about anything you are looking for in a splat book,somewhere.
>>
>>43952971
>Despite how dippy this sounds, my posts are normally a bit vitriolic
Yeah no shit. That's obvious from the first fucking line.
>>
>>43952959
>GURPS
>okay art
I'm sorry, you'll have to find something else.
>>
It was a commercial sucess. Good for her.
>>
>>43953075
And it generated some okay derivative material even if her shit was awful.
>>
Numenera has... decent roleplaying capabilities.
>>
>>43953104
>>43952971
Who the fuck's most hated game is Numenera?
>>
>>43953033
this post expresses someone's insecurities as he attacks someone else over an opinion
>>
>>43953138
It really seems against the point of these threads to passively-aggressively snipe at games. Say something unambiguously positive or don't say anything. Only the third point in that post was worth posting.
>>
>>43952666
It ain't easy being Satan.
>>
>>43952549
Shadowrun has a fun setting, but god almighty can it get boring if you have a bad DM. Combat can be ludicrously imbalanced one way or the other so combat-heavy campaigns tend to be TPKs or milk runs.
>>
>>43953114
Those two people?

But fuck them for having opinions, am I right?
>>
Pathfinder has options.
Warhammer has given dozens of autists something to do with their spare time.
>>
3.5 has a really excellent array of options and available splat books, which make it easy for the players and GM's to run the sort of game that they want.
>>
>>43952549
4e D&D is very well balanced (compared to every other version).
>>
Shadowrun...
Jesus Christ, I can't really think of anything good to say about it at all.
I guess the huge dicepools are fun to play with for the first few rolls? Just spillin handfuls of dice like nobody's business.
>>
Some of the Palladium games have some really interesting mechanics and can shine with the right GM.
>>
FATAL possesses interesting statistics and peeks into the minds of a fringe member of society.
>>
>>43952549
3.5 managed to give a convincing mechanical representation to some niche, but interesting, concepts such as incarnum and weapons of legacy.
>>
No one can say that Talislanta is just another Tolkien-clone. Its character creation system is among the easiest in the earlier editions, and the hero archetypes are creative.
>>
>>43952549
D&D 3.5 is an excellent introductory game to roleplay games.
>>
>homebrew corruption of champions

helped to spice things up with my boyfriend
>>
>>43952549
Dark Heresy has an interesting setting and the books are beautigul.
>>
>>43952549
It genuinely had some potential, which is why it's painful to see it so shit.

Basically most of the things I dislike. I'm too mild to passionately hate anything enough to remember it right off the bat. Shit, I think even Twilight had potential to be good or at least decent. It's lukewarm disappointment at best.
>>
D&D B/X is rather quick, simple and fun to play.
>>
>>43953416
Link/elaborate please. On the system, not your love life.
>>
40k is actually fun in friendly games under 1000 points
>>
GURPS can provide an incredibly exacting level of detail in character design.
>>
D&D 3.PF really managed to trim down on the unnecessary specificity in saving throws from previous editions of D&D.
>>
No. It's shit, and the industry would be healthier with it gone.
>>
>>43952549
D&D 3.5.... well shit.

It has a nice setting- no wait it cookie cutter lowest common denominator shit, literally any other fantasy setting is more interesting.

The rules are- oh wait right they're a horrible mess of unbalanced shit and completely unnecessarily complex shit for no mechanical gain with no redeeming qualities.

It's good for new pla- oh, right, wait, no, because the game literally teaches new players to meta game to ridiculous fucking degree that doesn't translate at all into basically any other decent system, and again the rules are complex without being mechanically powerful.

At least the art i- no wait I was thinking about any other system, the art is fucking garbage.

I mean at the VERY LEAST it has to be a good hack-and-slash, dungeon-crawling, fantasy combat simulator, right? Wrong. There are strictly better options even for this category.

I'm sorry, but as a reasonable person, I've got nothing. I couldn't argue for D&D 3.5e not being the worst RPG system of all time even if my life depended on it. It's not even a shitty system in a funny way like FATAL is. It's got fucking nil going for it. Literal fucking dogshit.
>>
>>43953253
You could at least say something like Cyberpunk is cool or that the concept of PCs being so paranoid/actually down the fucking drainpipe to such a degree that arming yourself to the teeth and setting up backup plan upon backup plan just to go to the toilet is a pretty funny idea, even if it never translates to gameplay well at all.
>>
>>43954527

The Tome of Battle was kinda neat?
>>
>>43954527

You've failed the exercise.
See me after class.
>>
The Storyteller System, uh... Is attached to lots of really cool fluff? Shame about literally every other component of it.
>>
>>43953346
underrated post
>>
>>43953114
> ITT: People who haven't played numenera
>>
GURPS sourcebooks are often a good read. I like using their historical settings as references when playing a real game like FATE.
>>
>>43952549
Iron Kingdoms has a fuckawesome setting and tone, and I was legitimately upset when the RPG ended up being ass.

Brb, statting warjacks in 5e.
>>
>>43954527
You're far too critical of the Art. It's not amazing, but it's not garbage.

The Art is decent.
>>
>>43954926

Man, I tried the IKRPG, and the system just felt... Eh. People bitch about 4e being wargamey, but at least it was interesting. Unless you're a Warcaster you're basically a gimmick unit from the tabletop wargame. You either suck, or you build to have a single powerful Thing you can do and suck at basically everything else.
>>
RIFTS looks like an amazingly fun setting to play around then.

I'm glad it's being ported over to Savage Worlds.
>>
>>43954963

I houserule that you can only take Warcaster as a third class once you advance in tier, but you still have the issue where it's still a pretty no brainer choice.

At the least the PCs don't get to start with Warcaster armor that way.
>>
>>43955230

Even then, it feels kinda broken from the premise. If you have Warcasters alongside non-warcasters, the warnouns will just be outright better than the other characters. If you ban warnouns, you severely lack the number of interesting options each character can have, but if everyone is a warnoun then the system becomes clunky as fuck because everyone needs to take at least three turns. I feel like the entire premise of that RPG system is just fundamentally flawed.
>>
>>43952549
bloodbowl is pretty hilarious and way more appropriate for the extreme cheese and camp of the setting
even if there isn't a slaanesh team
>>
>>43954623
Cyberpunk is cool.
Shadowrun's version of cyberpunk isn't. And the shadowrunner version of paranoia just annoys me.
>>
>>43952596
Breathe Deep, Seek Peace fellow Zen anon.
>>
>>43954527
Come now, anon. There's stuff you can praise. I for one liked some of the fluff about the Gods. The Blood War, Olidammra's stuff, St Cuthbert.

It was the birthplace of some good stuff, like Eberron, Kingdoms of Kalamar, etc.

The OGL, while spawning a bunch of shitty games, let companies profit off those shitty games to make better ones.

>>43952549
The closest I've come to hating a book is Zir'an/Mage The Ascension.

And those books seem like fun games, it's just the metallic under-text ink gives me a headache in like, 5 minutes.
>>
>>43952549
3.5 has a lot of items
>>
Age of Sigmar showed that GDubs wasn't as afraid of change as we thought
Unfortunately they are still as incompetent with handling that change as they ever were
>>
JJ Trek wasn't boring.

The Battlestar Galactica reboot was great at setting a gritty, desperate mood and had some really good acting from the older actors in particular.

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings has a rich and historied world.

D&D 3.x had lots of cool options and it was fun to make up characters for it.
>>
>>43952549
3.5 does allows for clever customization.
>>
>>43953399
The gateway drug.
>>
>>43952596
This.
I'm too nice and forgiving a guy to hate things, as much as I'd like to.
>>
>>43953070
GURPS has awesome art, what are you on?
>>
>>43959877
if you consider heroin a gateway drug.
no one who fucking plays it will move on from it.
>>
File: GURPS art.png (158 KB, 332x333) Image search: [Google]
GURPS art.png
158 KB, 332x333
>>43959949
>>
>>43959955
You say to a guy who started on 3.5e and moved on.
>>
>>43953114
People who hate Monte Cook because of maymays and so therefore must justify hating everything he touches.
>>
>>43960091
and sometimes rehab works
>>
>>43953114
>Numenera
every time i see this word i think of Noumenon and i can't retrain myself to not think that
>>
File: It was a good day.png (53 KB, 1636x396) Image search: [Google]
It was a good day.png
53 KB, 1636x396
It got virt b&.
>>
>>43952549
The HERO system makes a really good paperweight.
>>
>>43959940
People hate what they don't understand, it says a lot about nice people.
>>
>>43960257
Was a good thread
>>
im sure there was something i liked about 5e but all i can come up right now is consultant-gate was entertaining.
>>
>>43953114
>>43954880
>>43960147

Guys, guys, I get you like it but you have to realize that Numenera is not that great of a game. It has Monte Cook's ideas of what makes a good game everywhere, the setting has some great ideas that are often executed poorly, and it's mostly a rehash of old fantasy tropes in a new coat of paint.
There's nothing wrong with liking it, but most people don't give a shit about it.

But to keep with the spirit of the thread, it has good art.
>>
>>43960710
damit this should not be this hard there must be something i liked about it
>>
>>43952549
pathfinder was relatively easy to explain to my first time pnp players.
>>
Pathfinder has pretty good support for ToB classes and even some more schools of maneuvers. Also gunslingers are kind of cool and they definitely improved the skill system from 3.5
>>
>>43952549
I... I don't hate any system.
>>
>>43952596
I'm working my way there.

3.5 created a lot of useless errata that only served to bog down the game with math and numbers, but it also had some of the best fluff and the idea of endlessly supporting a game with nearly constant updates is not only cool but also healthy for the hobby in its entirety.
>>
>>43953166
>only extremism is acceptable

Or just take the good from it instead of focusing on people pointing out why they find it bad for clarity.
>>
>>43952549
Traveler has a very tight and indepth rules system.
>>
File: heh.jpg (51 KB, 448x488) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
51 KB, 448x488
>>43954527
>implying rules have to be balanced
>>
>>43952549
There wouldn't really be a pnprpg hobby for me to enjoy if Dungeons & Dragons hadn't gotten the ball rolling.

Which I guess is a bit like thanking the Japs for murdering the fuck out of the Chinese because without them my slanty-eyed girlfriends grandparents wouldn't have emigrated, of which I'm also very grateful.
>>
>>43953188
>All opinions are good
>Doing sarcasm outside of greentext
>>
D&D 3.5 did some alright things I guess.

Tome of Battle was good and some of the classes were decently balanced.

>>43962679

I mean it's at least something you should aim for. And I don't think 3.5 was designed to intentionally be imbalanced they just got there through incompetence.
>>
FATAL has given all of us something to laugh at.
>>
File: 1448249870982.jpg (451 KB, 1748x1816) Image search: [Google]
1448249870982.jpg
451 KB, 1748x1816
>>43952549
>hating a game
>>
Hating non-harmful inanimate objects is for children.
>>
>>43962800
>And I don't think 3.5 was designed to intentionally be imbalanced they just got there through incompetence.

You didn't read Monte Cook's article, did you?

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=13812.0
>>
>>43952596
Not so fast. I don't like your attitude. You're my enemy now.
>>
Burning Wheel is very well organized. It also has an interesting approach to fantasy races.
>>
File: shit book.jpg (31 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
shit book.jpg
31 KB, 329x499
The historical-fiction book The Company by K.J. Parker gives an interesting look at pike-warfare and the struggles of colonization.

But god damn I am still salty about reading that book all the way to the end, after being told how good it was, waiting for some sort of payoff, and realizing that nothing changes.

It's just an entire book of unlikable characters being either assholes or idiots, until it suddenly ends with them all being locked in a house and set on fire.

From an TRPG perspective, you could say it's a story of five moderate that-guys and a lackluster GM, fucking around wasting time until everyone gets bored and burns everything down so they can switch to Shadowrun or something.

SALTY

Still though, reading about the pike battles was cool.
>>
>>43952549
Rolemaster, despite being a pedantic clusterfuck of shit, has an interesting damage/hit-location chart separated into slash/blunt/puncture/etc. damages.
>>
GURPS has a nice bell curved base mechanic and the splatbooks are exceptionally detailed.

A shame about everything else though
>>
File: 1346827971468.png (19 KB, 291x317) Image search: [Google]
1346827971468.png
19 KB, 291x317
>>43952549
Golarion is redeemable, I guess?
>>
Age of Sigmar explores interesting type of fantasy,not ripping of tolkien like everybody
>>
4e has decent spellsword options.
>>
>>43965623
Wow, there's a book I never expected to hear about ever again.

I congratulate you on your grudge bearing ability, and picturing it as a story about a dysfunctional rpg party made me laugh.
>>
>>43962800
>Tome of Battle was good
It's interesting you say that, because that was also some of my favorite content in 3.5.
>>
>>43952549
RIFTS allows you to do an awful lot
>>
>>43952549
Pathfinder's Not!Arabia is pretty neat.
>>
>>43952549
3.PF has served to vastly increase awareness of the medium, and for that reason alone it is probably not Hitler.
>>
>>43966053
It got tumblr aware of it.
>>
>>43952549
>Eberron is still better than Twilight.

best I can do. Truth is I don't really hate all that many systems, most negative I get usually is a strong disinterest. But being disinterested in a system is a long way from actually hating it.

like, I have no doubt that 5th is a good system, but I'm not interested in learning it. I got my Pathfinder for High-Mid Fantasy campaigns and I'm happy with it. If I want to get really fancy with the setting there are 3.5 independent books that mesh well-enough and if I want to go more modern I can switch over to Corporia or Shades of Earth, depending on the tone I want to go for.

Hell, I don't even hate 3.5 or 4.0 (yes pathfinder is different from 3.5, it's just really subtle, and requires you to actually read both books to catch it) I'm just not interested in them.
>>
>>43952549
The most fun I've ever had in a game was D&D 3.5.
>>
4e generates good tactical thinking
>>
>>43965309
An enemy is a selfish thing.
>>
>>43952549
I learned of kintsukuroi from this thread. My grandmother loves it when I learn things about her heritage even she didn't know about.
>>
>>43952549
D20 Modern has a really nice gun selection and they put a lot of effort into making them realistically statted
>>
MAID is great for when the entire group just wants to fuck about and gives no shits.
>>
>>43966226
THOSE BE FIGHTING WORDS
>>
>>43960202
But anon, the thing in itself is inaccessible to the subject, transcendental as it may be.
>>
>>43952549
Apocalypse World is great if you don't like playing games.
>>
>>43953442
But what system(s)? How are we supposed to know what isn't worth the time if you don't share what your opinions are about?
>>
>>43952775
this. also while some of the older sculpts might not be the best they can produce the most product and poses the infrastructural to get it to market
>>
>>43952549

ITT: Backhanded Compliments
>>
>>43967011
Is this b8
>>
D&D and PF have a lot of players.
>>
File: 025.png (509 KB, 986x1400) Image search: [Google]
025.png
509 KB, 986x1400
>>43952596
>>
>>43952549
D&D 4e books make for excellent coasters
>>
>>43969484
That's not true. They're too big and the cover design makes the surface uneven.

It's a lot better to use them to play.
>>
D&D has really brought a lot of new people to the RPG genre & helped spread cultural awareness.
>>
>>43966053
Yeah, but at the same time, this awareness means a lot of them refuse to play anything else.

I'd say that's still in the neg.
>>
File: Christmas came early.png (439 KB, 1909x866) Image search: [Google]
Christmas came early.png
439 KB, 1909x866
>>43960257
>>43960324
Being one of the first responses is my proudest /tg/ moment.

...unfortunately
>>
There is no evidence that GURPS has actively given anybody cancer...I'm struggling to think of anything else good to say about it.
>>
>>43952549
>Nobilis
It's got an interesting premise.
>Blue Rose
As far as d20 systsm go it's not that bad.
>>
>>43952549
5e is really good at running gritty world-exploration focused games about PC's who are distinctly within the expected norms of what their world would be expected to produce, and who feel more like real fragile people without any fate/destiny than the protagonists of a fantasy novel/movie, scrambling from trasure-filled deathtrap to treasure-filled deathtrap, desperately trying to amass enough wealth to retire in a world where risking your life is the only avenue of social mobility in a feudal system.

I just happen to have no interest in running that sort of game.
>>
File: 1444965046628.jpg (20 KB, 384x511) Image search: [Google]
1444965046628.jpg
20 KB, 384x511
Pathfinder was functional and playable enough to tell the story I wanted to tell and allow my players to tell the stories they wanted to tell.
>>
I like how open ended FATE is, even though mechanically it feels quite bare bones to me and it only seems good for quick one offs.
>>
>>43953508
GURPS character creation is like half the reason I play it
>>
Rifts has a batshit insane setting, in a good way.
>>
>>43953416
>>43953474
Seconding request for link
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.