[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: DDNextImage660x499.jpg (107 KB, 660x499) Image search: [Google]
DDNextImage660x499.jpg
107 KB, 660x499
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015
>>
I JUST bought the 3 core books without having anyone to play with. What have i done
>>
>>43944365
What do you guys think about this random encounter table? It is for 4 level 3 characters traveling trough plains in a elvish kingdom.

1d12 + 1d8 +2 for day -2 for night

0 2x Intellect Devourer
1 3d4 Dretch
2 1d4 Elephants
3 1 Gnol Pack Lord
2d4 Gnols
4 1d2 Owlbear
5 They find corpses of mutilated animals, a survival with DC 10 can find Gnol Tracks. If they follow those tracks for 1d4 hours they'll encounter (roll 1d6)

Odd number:
1 Gnol Fang of Yeenoghu
1d4 Gnols

Even number:
The corpses of the monsters bellow described with elvish arrows in their bodies.

6 1 Giant Weasel / 1 Weasel
7 A abandoned house with a water wheel and a perception with DC 10 can find ration for 1 day for 1d4 people.
8 2d4 Pteranodon
9 1d4 Centaurs
10 1 Goblin boss / 1d4 Goblins / 1 Bugbear
11 3d4 Acolytes
12 1d4 Ghouls / 1 Warhorse skelleton / 2 Zombies
13 1d4 Ankylosaurus
14 A caravan attacked by: 2d4 Bandit / 2d4 Mastiff
If they won this battle they'll be rewarded with 1d4 ration for each character and 2d20 GP for the group.
15 A nomad tribe of Elfs, some of them are sick and need find medicinal erbs in 1d10 hours. A survival test with DC 12 cand find those erbs, a survival test can be made once a hour and each fail it raises the difficult by 1.
If they find the erbs they'll receive a reward of the random treasure table.
16 A Obelisk with a altar for offerings, bellow it a simbol of Hands bound at the wrist with red cord.
If the characters do a offering for Ilmater, they'll have the same effect of a long rest.
17 1d4 Orange Young Dragon
18 One NPC that will help the players to find their destination. This NPC will be a random one from the DM sheets, roll 1d12, each result is a different sheet and class.
19 1d4 Berserker
20 1 Orc Warchief
21 1 Bugbear Chief / 1d4 Bugbear
22 1d2 Ettin
>>
>>43944403
You could always try matchmaking on roll20 or similar websites?
>>
>>43944403
Fantasy Grounds all the way down. Best online RPG software ever.
>>
Are there some general rules for converting 3.5/pf classes in 5th?

I really want a binder or a medium character
>>
>>43944808
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15PDTkBoUBlAXVgzm9YCvRrMKTLKpCFyqwNVcoz05q9I/edit
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412419-PEACH-Binder-class-(WIP)
https://sites.google.com/site/golarion5e/home
Read up on these.
>>43944600
>Best online RPG software ever.
What's so good about it? Is it just being better than RPtools and Roll20, which arguably is far from a high standard?
>>
File: 1416875251517.jpg (78 KB, 640x566) Image search: [Google]
1416875251517.jpg
78 KB, 640x566
Threadly reminder.

5E is best played as a meatgrinder.
>>
>>43945023
>If that's what your group wants
Fixed your redundant bullshit statement for you, friend.
>>
Okay, so if characters get a free object interaction, which can be used to draw or stow a single weapon during a round of combat, would you allow a player to do the following:

>Level 6 Fighter wielding a warhammer and a battleaxe in each hand, with Two-Weapon Style and TWF Feat
>Attack action
>First attack with Warhammer (1d8)
>Bonus action to attack with battleaxe (1d8)
>Drop Battleaxe (fluff it as it hits and sticks in the monster)
>Extra attack with warhammer, now wielding it with both hands (1d10)

And this goes for any combination of two weapons, including thrown weapons. Also, RAW, would you be able to hold a two-handed weapon in one hand, release a one-handed weapon after attacking with it from the other hand, and then use both hands to attack with the two-hander in the same turn?
>>
>>43945046
Yes.

All of those seem fine by the TWF rules. They state that when you attack with a light weapon, you can make an attack with a light weapon held in your other hand as a bonus action, not adding your ability modifier to damage.

The feat just removes the light requirement.

In the last situation there with the two-handed weapon, there would be no bonus action attack, but that's about it.

The first situation would work fine for one turn. You have to remember you aren't getting that much from it. You're increasing the damage die from d8 to d10, which is an average increase of 1 damage.
>>
File: 1416883248121.jpg (648 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1416883248121.jpg
648 KB, 1920x1080
>>43945033
If you want to just roleplay your single doughnut steel characters in a safe space that's fine, I was speaking from a gamest perspective.

If someone's character doesn't die, get crippled, lost or petrified every session; you're playing toddler mode.
>>
>>43945077
In the second situation, I would still get an extra attack, so it would go something like this:

>Attack with off-hand weapon
>Drop it (or it was thrown as the attack)
>Extra attack with two-hander
>>
>>43945102

>Herp derp badwrongfun

D&D 5e isn't really that grim and gritty at all
>>
>>43945102
>If someone's character doesn't die, get crippled, lost or petrified every session; you're playing toddler mode.

Oohh man you so cool, you so edgy.
>>
How do you consistently maintain sneak attack damage as a rogue every fight? Just double team people all the time?
>>
Is dexadin good?
>>
How do I make the most out of a Lance wielding Paladin?
>>
>>43945077
>The feat just removes the light requirement.
AND lets him draw both weapons at once. Unsheathing 2 weapons without the Dual Wielder Feat costs your full action. This is important to remember if your goal is to fuck someone up in round one of combat.

>>43945046
Provided you meet the prerequisites you stated, I'd absolutely allow it. Frankish Fighter a best.
>>
>>43945407
My whole goal with this >>43945077
is to see how much I'm gimping myself, or if there are any rules violation for my battlemaster dwarf, who acts like a John Wick style action hero dancing through the battlefield, disarming / picking up / dropping weapons with each baddie.
>>
>>43945153
Bound accuracy makes 5E pretty gritty, allows the DM to throw shitloads of low CR monsters at the party and for it to be quite effective.

A party of four level tens in a medium encounter against kobolds would be facing 48 or 24 flying ones, thanks to bound accuracy and pack tactics they would be able to hit the adventures.
If the kobolds don't all jump inside of a spell, they would TPK most parties pretty easily.
>>
File: 134108990953.gif (202 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
134108990953.gif
202 KB, 300x200
>>43945217
>thinking dying in D&D is edgy

Your DM must terrified of killing your character, because of the tantrum that would ensue.
>>
>>43945461

Maybe if the PCs just stood out in the open and let the kobolds dogpile them or throw javelins all day. But the reality is that decent tactics by PCs should limit the number of kobolds able to engage in melee (or throw weapons) and AoEs and Feats should enable the PCs to get the upper hand eventually.

But yes in a flat open plain with no terrain features or cover and no AoE spells low CR foes can generally dogpile assuming no feats like Heavy Armor Mastery which pretty much makes Fighters immune to Kobold shits.
>>
>>43945023
>5E is best played as a meatgrinder
This.
You just have to throw CRs -5 or higher at your group to kill them.

5e is trully the dirty farmer dying against domestic cats edition.
>>
>>43945461
> gritty == high character attrition
Gb2 4e
>>
>Fighter1/Rogue Assassin with Xbox Xpert
>DM that lets you use shields with hand xbows
>Cunning action every once in a while
Can you be more operator?
>>
>>43945642
>decent tactics by PCs should limit the number of kobolds able to engage in melee
If your DM doesn't play the carousel of death
>>
>>43945102
Fuck you. That was the worst downtime RP EVER.

Who the fuck ever even heard of arbitrary status effects as random encounters? WHEN YOU'RE SITTING AT HOME AND NOT ON THE FUCKING ROAD?
>>
>>43945102
If someone's character die, get crippled, lost or petrified every session you probably need to play something easier, like bouncing a ball.
>>
>>43944365
>Radiant Warlock

All we're missing now is a cantrip laser.

That's all we needs.

Just some lasers.

Surely WotC won't let us down?
>>
>>43945865
>Cantrip laser
What do you mean? warlock is already a laser turret spamming EB+Hex everywhere.

If only Undying Light made the melee option viable with GFB.
>>
>>43945741
That's sadly one of the things that makes me feel kinda bad about the impression most people have of DS is 4e. I don't mind 4e, I think it tried valiantly to solve the problems of 3rd and failed because it worked on a lot of the same worldbuilding assumptions.

I feel like 2e darksun, while it was deadly, could still be open to something narrative and relatively contemplative.
>>
>>43945902
EB is magic missiles. It's Force
It is not radiant.
It is not a laser.
>>
>>43945962
Ah, ok, I thought you meant pew pew, not light amplification by stimulated emition of radiation.

Grab magic initiate and that damage cantrip from cleric's list, I think it deals radiant damage.
>>
>>43945284
As long as an ally is within 5' of an enemy, rogues get sneak damage. So, a fighter has two enemies engaging in melee with them, but the fighter is focused only on one, a rogue can sneak damage the other enemy.
>>
>>43946004
>>43945962
Sacred Flame is Radiant.
However it is neither an attack spell (for purposes of spell sniper,etc) nor actually very good, at 1d8 with a dex:negates save. Makes it dangerously inaccurate, that.

So yes, there could be plenty of room for a "sunray" or the like.
>>
>>43945102
Lost?
>>
New to 5e, is this like in 3.5/PF where the description of classes lied straight to your face about their competency at different fields? like telling you are awesome at combat when in reality you fucking sucks, etc?
>>
>>43945284
Sneak attack is fucking easy.
AT picks familiar, boom, you can sneak attack always.
Friend is near enemies? boom, sneak attack any of them
Surprise? sneak attack
Hide with cunning action? sneak attack

I think that's why you can only sneak attack once per turn (but not per round, use your AoOs well) in this edition, because is fairly easy to sneak attack, specially with ranged weapons
>>
>>43946254
No, it's mostly up front, the only classes that are especially weak are Monk and some archetypes (Beastmaster and Wild Sorcerer mainly)
>>
>>43946082

I typically let Clerics take Firebolt instead of fucking Sacred Flame. Yeah it's technically probably too good of a cantrip for Clerics but the fact that fire resistance is fairly common makes up for it.
>>
>>43944913
Fantasy Grounds is the best software for RPGs, is very automated, it can do 99% of the work if you know how to use it.

>>43944469
BTW, what you guys think of this table?
>>
>>43945102
Hey Virt!
You are indeed the best gamer this board has to offer, no biggie, etc, etc.
>>
>>43946109
Just getting the fresh thread warmed up and some statements answered
>>
File: world hunger solved.jpg (185 KB, 805x512) Image search: [Google]
world hunger solved.jpg
185 KB, 805x512
How many calories is goodberry juice and why hasn't world hunger been solved in high magic settings yet?
>>
>>43946508
Because druids are assholes.
>>
>>43946508
Because druids are very rare
>>
>Warlock made a deal with a friendly devil
>Gained his power and is quite happy with the arrangement
>Goes around with pamphlets that he hand made that describe how to summon the devil that he serves
I really did not expect this. My parties warlock is a door to door devil salesman.
>>
>>43946508
Because druids are very rare assholes
>>
>>43946688
> archfiend is unable to perform fiendish duties due to involuntarily relocating every 5 seconds
> starts delegating responsibilities to imps
> Bureaucratic Evil
>>
>>43947057
DESU, bureaucratic evil is already the heart and soul of Baator.
>>
>>43946508
>How many calories is goodberry juice and why hasn't world hunger been solved in high magic settings yet?
Because enforced stasis.
>>
>>43946334
I think you should stop using random encounters.
>>
>>43946508
Because druids are very rarely assholes.
>>
>>43947132
I sincerely doubt that 10% of people even in a high magic setting can case the spell, let alone multiple times a day.
>>
>>43945340
Yes, as long as you can deal with the right starting equipment you'll be fine. I believe your potential damage won't be as high as the dude who does reps for jesus but you'll be fine.

>>43945392
Use your mount from find steed. Duelist fighting style, Oath of Devotion, use sanctuary on your mount until you get access to the mounted combatant feat. Alternatively, one dip in fighter for TWF style and oath of vengeance. Dual-wield lances with Advantage to fish for crits with your d12's all day.
>>
>>43944403
Welcome to my world
>>
>>43944403
Join the club
>>
>>43944365
Whats the best path for the sorcerer, of you exclude dragon. It can be chaos, dark, storm or favored soul.
>>
>>43944365
What cool magic items are there in OotA to grab?
Othen than the waifublade.
>>
>>43944469
4 Elephants would be deadly to a party of lvl 7 Characters.
Lvl 3s are going to get slaughtered.

In any case, comments: How many encounters do you run per day? Your encounter seems to be very high up in the deadly-end of the scale (p. 82, DMG), so if you're planning them surviving more things you'd might want to tone it down a notch.
>>
>>43947501
Favored soul is op. Also better than dragon one
>>
>>43946508
because the effects only last 24 hours and why the fuck would druids want to mitigate starvation when it is a major factor in population control of civilizations
>>
>>43947554
waifublade is da best
>>
>>43947622
why not just play cleric?
>>
File: 133009532525.gif (144 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
133009532525.gif
144 KB, 126x126
>>43947554
>winning the roll on waifublade
>mfw elf wizard

Wand of Globs is neato, it's basically a glue cannon.
>>
>>43947554
not much if the dm dosent throw u a bone
>>
Are the new Adventurer's League expeditions in the mega folder?
>>
>>43947699
doesnt it picks a player?
>>
>>43946050
The rogue would get sneak damage on either enemy.

>>43946288
AT also gets the thing where they can use Mage Hand with their Cunning Action to gain advantage on an attack, and thus sneak damage. You don't get that until level 13, though, whereas a familiar is available from level 3.
>>
>>43947699
I bet your party had a ranger and a cleric/druid to make fresh water.
If so: pussy.
Although you played a wizard in oota: not so pussy
>>
>>43944365
Know what?
I always see people talking about character builds, but never about party builds.
There, I said it.
>>
>>43947758
Water is the hardest thing to get and the one that fucks the party the most.
1 exaustion level /day, you dont recover from all the levels when you drink it.
and a fucking gallon per day is just too much, imo.
>>
>>43947211
10% of humans could be Variants and take that initiate feat. Freeing the rest of human society from having to fuck around with agriculture at all would be a HUGE advantage.
>>
>>43947813
>humans unable to defend themselves by making fruit are enslaved by a warrior race blablablah
>>
>>43947813
>why wont all the big boobed chicks get hormones to produce milk all the time and feed the starving
>>
>>43947813
>actually using player mechanics on the bulk of humanity
you disgust me
>>
File: Elemental Evil.jpg (638 KB, 1600x1224) Image search: [Google]
Elemental Evil.jpg
638 KB, 1600x1224
About to play Princes of the Apocalypse for the first time. It's my first time playing as a player in many years so I'm pretty stoked. But then the DM told us we should each make our characters in a vacuum without talking to each other about them or worrying about making a balanced party composition.

I'm trying not to back-seat DM but this strikes me as something that might cause trouble if this campaign is as lethal as some 5e adventures I've heard about. Should I be worried or am I just overthinking it?
>>
>>43947609
There is a 1% chance of trigger the elephant encounter, that's why I put it so hard, they would have to run or something.

Also I plan to run the table once a day.
>>
>>43947713
Really?
Fuck!

>>43947853
this guys gets it.
>>
File: FEF_Mock_up_Thumb.jpg (119 KB, 250x316) Image search: [Google]
FEF_Mock_up_Thumb.jpg
119 KB, 250x316
Anybody got a download of pic related? I don't see it in the Mega.

>>43947768
I don't like to let my players know what the others are playing before they meet. It just feels too meta to pick your character's class based on filling a slot in a group.
>>
File: spookycheezeits.gif (1 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
spookycheezeits.gif
1 MB, 540x540
>>43947768
Because they don't actually care about effectiveness nor do they actually die. They're obsessed with OC doughnut steel power fantasy.

Groups only start thinking like a team when they realize it's serious business, and there is an actual risk of progression loss.
>>
>>43947854
Nah, but try to cover your bases well.
Dont shy out of optimizing your build, you never know when another player will be a fuck up and you will have to compensate.
>>
>>43947874
hey >>43947854 its your DM!
what a happy reunion!
>>
>>43947874
Well, having redundant character can be boring as fuck as well. Personally, I dont mind filling the slots, specially since most people dont get it quite right and only do a shallow version of what it really could be.

>>43947911
I like you, anon.
I like the sexy way you think.
>>
>>43947914
>you never know when another player will be a fuck up and you will have to compensate.
Thats my group in oota!
We have to compensate for the sorecerer with his shitty build.
I mean.... there is ok, that would've been fine... but the thing his made looks like its there just to fuck the party.
>>
>>43947768
Not much to talk about. Other than themed-party builds like a stealth oriented party or a Full-Caster lynch mob the ideal party is pretty varied and just tries to cover all the bases.
>Try to have every skill between the full party
>A party face that is good at negotiations
>A stealthy scout, trap finder/disable guy
>A fast guy that can take advantage of positioning or terrain/activateable objects
>An emergency healer
>A couple front-liners to keep the flimsy ones safe
>A heavy-damage-to-one-target guy to beat down dangerous supporters
>A utility caster that can dispel magic, grant alternate movement methods, deal with large groups of weak enemies effectively, and/or create or remove obstructions and choke-points. Basically whatever fills in the blanks the other party members don't already fill or that supports their roles.

Everything else seems to come down to tactics but usually more options is always better.
>>
>>43947854
Be a Paladin so that you know the party has both a front-liner, and some emergency healing. Since the campaign is scripted he's probably not going to be tailoring the encounters to your party.
>>
>>43947874
>download
second this....?
>>
>>43948016
>Paladin
>tank, hitting, healing
Paladin, what else?
>>
>>43947931
Hello DM. How goes the planning? Gotten anymore input or news from the other players? Or a tentative session date?
>>
>>43948058
Take persuasion and athletics so you also cover breaking and talking.

Another option that'll allow you to competently cover multiple basses is Bard, which has less tanking and hitting then the paladin, but gives great support to whatever your allies makes, and utility. Go Lore Bard and you can pick up more choice spells in case you're missing a wizard or cleric.
>>
>>43947961
>Well, having redundant character can be boring as fuck as well.

This. In one session I had to do this as a DM.

I had three brand-new to the game players show up as Paladins. They were fine mechanically and effective but each of them felt like their concept was getting stepped on by the others even if they all had wildly different philosophies. It came down to the point where they found their ideologies to just be opposed to one another and couldn't work past it without compromising their characters. Turned some of them off of table top role-playing games forever...
>>
>>43947999
Notice that a bard can functionally fill any and all of those slots.
>>
>>43947961

Even if multiple people take the same class, subtypes, backgrounds, and racial abilities should be able to diversify them enough that they're not too redundant.
The biggest exception is Ranger, whose abilities tend to benefit the whole party anyway and only has one good subclass to begin with.

>>43948066
Next Friday at 2 sound good?
>>
How does CR work for NPCS with class levels? The handful of humans in the back of the MM are woefully inadequate.
>>
>>43948066
Dennis.
Dennis, my boy.
Now you listen to me, Dennis, and you listen good.
I dont care how many game hours you had at your old group, or how much fun you guys had.
Here you are going to play by the book. My book. Is either that or.... well, the door is right behind you, kid.
You really think that I see you asking these "anons" for help will be seen with compassion by the board? They will eat you.
Eat you, kid.
I work hard, I play hard. So you better get your ass ready for some hard work too, Dennis, every xp, every cp, you're gonna have to earn it.
I remember playing with this guy... one of the best, if not the best gamer this board has to offer... that was something else. The guy raped an orc to death once. Got paid to have sex with a princcess too. I rmember it well, he said it was "no biggie". I dont expect this from you, Dennis. No, no, no.... anon.
I will see your expactations burn.
I will have your blood, sweat and tears, Dennis. After that, and not before, you will have my permission to have fun.
>>
File: perkins.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
perkins.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqCXuS8n8g

>roleplaying in a computer game with people in the same room

Why haven't you joined the future, /5eg/?
>>
>>43945865
Play a Sun Monk and shut up.
>>
>>43947697
Because they're totally different. Wtf do you mean by this question.

>hey guys I'm thinking of playing a paladin
>why not play fighter?

>hey guys I want to play a nature cleric
>why not play Druid?

>hey guys I want to play a lore bard
>why not play wizard?

Wtf was the point of your post
>>
>>43947853
>>43947871
This guy gets it is right
>>
>>43948571
There should be only two classes, zero subclasses, zero options beyond those two classes.
>>
>>43947874

Why it's pretty much completely shit
>>
What class would be better for a two handed sword? Fighter, barbarian, or paladin?
>>
>>43948707
Fighter hands down.
>>
>>43948707
Yes

Seriously though, they all work fine. Barbarian arguable benefits better from great axe than sword though because of how crits work.
>>
What are the best maneuvers for a ranged battle master?

Right now I'm thinking Trip Attack for all dem advantages on attacks, Precision Attack to make the -5 attack option of Sharpshooter easier, and Goading Attack to give my targets disadvantage to hit the meatshields in melee.

Not sure what else to fill my maneuver slots with.
>>
>>43948707
Depends, both work fine with 2hd weapons.
Fighter has more attacks and action surge, plus maneuvers if you pick battlemaster, he's the single target damage king.
Paladin has auras, some nice spells and smite, probably better at novaing.
Barbarian can survive almost anything and also hits ok.
>>
>>43948707

I think the math currently favors Dueling + Longsword over Twohanded Sword for Fighters.

Half-Orc Barbarian would be my personal choice for Two-handed style.

>>43948747

Mainly in regards to Half-Orcs with savage attacks.
>>
>>43948639
Right, and I'm sure there's a retroclone like this that thinks just having fighting-man and magic-using-man is very Gygaxian. I'd rather a game that doesn't skew as heavily towards the fedora side of the playerbase.
>>
>>43948747
>Barbarian arguable benefits better from great axe than sword though because of how crits work.
Not till you have at least 3 extra dice with brutal critical (or 2 and savage attacker from half-orc), less than that and greatsword is better hands down.
>>
>>43948795

If the game was modular enough that you could build a skirmishing light fighter with the fighting-man or build a healbot with the magic-user I could live with that.

But honestly D&D will never go back to completely modular we have GURPS for that shit.
>>
>>43948857
When has D&D ever been completely modular (please don't say Basic, Original or either edition of Advanced, that would be complete bullshit)
>>
>>43948764
You wouldn't get advantage on prone targets with a ranged attack unless you were in melee range, in fact you'd have disadvantage.

Pushing Attack, Evasion Footwork, Precision Attack and Goading.
>>
>>43948920

Honestly it never has been without a ton of homebrew. OD&D with mages having access to healing spells might be as close to it gets.

Let's be honest until 2e Thieves might as well be a NPC class.
>>
>>43949003
>You wouldn't get advantage on prone targets with a ranged attack unless you were in melee range, in fact you'd have disadvantage.
Oh dang, I apparently can't read. Thanks for the correction and advice.
>>
>>43948920
>please don't say Basic, Original or either edition of Advanced, that would be complete bullshit

Mind explaining why? Large parts of those games were optional rules (like non-weapon proficiencies in Advanced).

B/X doesn't formally organize everything into separate modules, but functionally that's how it plays out. I mean, you don't have to have the Expert Rulebook to play Basic. Higher levels and wilderness encounters really are optional add-ons.

Even in Basic itself, you have optional rules like rolling under ability scores, plus a whole section with "optional suggestions" like miniatures and handling monsters differently.

Maybe it's not completely modular, whatever that might mean, but B/X is definitely a solid core game that different books and adventure modules add on to.
>>
>>43949033
Trip Attack is cancer, you'll make all your ranged buddies cry.
>>
>>43948654

Well if it's that bad then I guess it's not a big deal, but more 5e content is good and at the worst I can still use it for inspiration.

What's so terrible about it?
>>
>>43949065
B/O are incredibly unflexible, and AD&D didn't really become flexible until 2e had its GURPS phase which everybody mostly ignored (the only semi-core splatbook stuff that even BG uses amounts to kits, a few spells, and grandmastery)
>>
File: 1429773750979.png (283 KB, 623x469) Image search: [Google]
1429773750979.png
283 KB, 623x469
So I wanna try D&D 5e, but I'm afraid of people optimizing too much. What are this edition's mechanical flaws which can be abused with comparable ease? Are there any good homerules already covering this?
>>
>>43949433
There isnt much you can do to break the game. Just outlaw the 2-3 level warlock dip for sorcerers. Even at its worst however that isnt all that powerful.
>>
>>43949337
Well I'm of the opinion that the fewer rules (plus a few guidelines or add-on options), the more flexible it is.

Take a game like Lasers & Feelings which is one page. You could add a 200-page economy system to it if you like. It's not like D&D where a lot of rules are baked into (and assumed) in the system itself.

5E hits a nice sweet spot. The Basic Rules alone would make a fun game. But the core rules plus the optional ones (like feats and almost everything in the DMG) are useful tools you can pick and choose from. Two entirely RAW 5E campaigns can be completely different, depending on the rules used and how those rules are applied.
>>
>>43949433
>What are this edition's mechanical flaws which can be abused with comparable ease

Liberal DMs that don't read the fine print.

For example, druids summoning 8 pixies when the spell clearly states the DM gets to decide what the stats/creatures are.
>>
>>43949433
Not really much to abuse beyond simulacrum and wish.
If you feel like something is overpowered chances are player or you are misreading stuff.
>>
>>43944403
Why would you buy three to begin with? You only need one. If you really need every player to have one obtain some digital copies from the links above.
>>
>>43949864
He meant the DMG, PHB, and MM you idiot
>>
>>43949717
No it clearly doesn't.
>>
>>43949891
From sage advice.
>When you cast a spell like conjure woodland beings, does the spellcaster or the DM choose the creatures that are conjured?
A number of spells in the game let you summon creatures. Conjure animals, conjure celestial, conjure minor elementals, and conjure woodland beings are just a few examples.

Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster chooses the creature conjured. For example, find familiar gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.

Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from among several broad options. For example, conjure minor elementals offers four options. Here are the first two:

One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower

The design intent for options like these is that the spellcaster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what creatures appear that fit the chosen option. For example, if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two elementals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.

A spellcaster can certainly express a preference for what creatures shows up, but it’s up to the DM to determine if they do. The DM will often choose creatures that are appropriate for the campaign and that will be fun to introduce in a scene.
>>
>>43949886
Ok then, I still reiterate that the link above would save you a lot of money.
>>
>>43949996
I ban electronics at my table so I like to have the physical copies for reference while we play.
>>
>>43950026
>I ban electronics at my table

Good man.

Sadly I fell for: "But I just got an app that makes it easier to find my spells!"

Funny how often that app changes to Facebook or some other game.
>>
>>43949433
The game is very balance in most people opinions. If optimizers are that big of an issue in your game then ban multiclassing and limit the number of feats people can have to 2 or 3. A variant human fighter can get max str and 2 feats by lvl 8, which is a lot to have at that level.
>>
>>43950063
I print off each of my players spells and have them in a rulebook. Anytime I make a special ruling about that spell I write it down and add it as an addendum to the bottom of the page then reprint it.

I made the rule in the first place because I had a player that was constantly getting distracted and thereby distracting others.
>>
>>43950026
If my player s get distracted with generally punish them harsh for it, mostly because every detail is important in my campaigns. If it's not important or interesting rp then it's glossed over as quickly as possible.
Moreover I would hate to constantly flip through the monster manual for varying enemies so my computer having everything is perfect for me.
But I will agree that some of those apps do lead to problems, but they usually don't involve Facebook.
>>
>>43949456
>>43949717
>>43949818
>>43950095
Thanks.
>>
is there anything official that deals with rules for ships, ship combat, and general sailing stuff? checked the sword coast book, and didn't find anything.

also the 'nautical adventures' homebrew has a fuckton of rules, and isn't super clear on things...hoping to find something more streamlined, preferably if it's Wizards official.
>>
>>43950026
>>43950063
>>I ban electronics at my table
I don't understand people doing that.
Why just not playing with people who can't manage it correctly?
>>
>>43950536
DMG
>>
>>43949891
>when the spell clearly states
Again, it doesn't clearly state it.

>>43949921

That's fine and dandy as intended and all, but our group (I DM) just ruled it as the caster gets to decide, because it makes sense.
>>
>>43950681
Oh I agree. It makes absolutely no sense (save for some balance issues) for the DM to decide. I treat it as a privilege for the players. If they abuse it they will be punished.

>>43950602
I play with my friends. They are great people but they have short attention spans. Once something gets slightly boring they start screwing around and its hard to get them back on track.
>>
What are folks' experience with fighters (all types)?

They seem very back loaded to me, like many of their distinguishing features don't come until later (extra stat points/feats, 3rd and 4th attacks, regenerating hp in the case of the champion). Adrenalin is certainly nice but its only for that one (or two) rounds and second wind gets really weak really fast.

It just feels like if you want to play a super cool fighty dude you'd be better off with a barbarian or a paladin levels 1-11 and right about the same with a fighter for the rest of the run.
>>
>>43950602
>Why just not playing with people who can't manage it correctly?

Friends. Twenty years later and it's still awkward to say, "Sorry Derek, you can't play with us, because you're shit."

At least as children we had bullying to fall back on.
>>
>>43950814
Well, action surge is pretty great, and champion also gets those unique-ish maneuver things by 3. The middle is pretty barren tho.
>>
>>43950778
>Once something gets slightly boring they start screwing around and its hard to get them back on track.

Drop round robin turn orders, 5E really doesn't need it with it's action economy.
Declaration keeps the entire group engaged.
>>
>>43950814
Fighters are the best damage dealers in 5e.
Champion- Simple and fun. Great choice if you want to focus on RP but still want to be useful in fights.
BM- Fun interesting combatants who have a lot of options. They suffer greatly in groups where short rests are few and far between.
EK- Arguably these have unique abilities thanks to their spells but I only ever see them use their spells for shield and absorb elements. Easily the hardest fighter to kill with the right spell selection.
>>
I'm going to be DMing a game soon, and I'm wondering about how the Spell Point variant actually ends up in play for anyone who's played with it.
>>
>>43950638
still frustratingly vague. I'm tempted to just go with NA, but lop off a bunch of ship HP and DT, or beef the hell out of the ship's weapons.

Because as written, ship-to-ship combat would take fucking years to end decisively.
>>
>>43950874
>Fighters are the best damage dealers in 5e.
Best single target damage dealers
>>
>>43950874
>Great choice if you want to focus on RP
Nice fallacy, could you point out where it says you can't focus on RP with the other two subclasses?
>>
>>43951022
Good for RP=/=Others being bad for RP

It lets you focus on RP without having to worry about combat abilities or anything. It makes it easy to focus on the RP side of your character when the mechanical side requires little thought behind it. Does it make it better for RP than the others? Not really but its a good subclass for those that don't care about combat.
>>
>>43950814
Champion is a lot of fun if you like rolling big, starts getting good at 5. Two-Hand Champs are the highest DPS in the game and get crazy with magic items and support.

>>43951009
They can actually select different targets, while moving, for all of their extra attacks. So, one attack action hitting multiple enemies makes it technically AoE!
>>
>>43951071
The stormwind fallacy is strong in this one.
>>
>>43951261
>Stormwind fallacy
Go home Virt. You're drunk.
>>
>>43951071
Just saying:

Having less mechanical features =/= having more/better RP options

They in fact aren't related at all
>>
>>43951293
>Says that only if your class features are weak you can trully RP
>Calls others Virt
Nice dissuasive maneuver, Virt, for a moment I believed I was you
>>
>>43951508
>Putting words in others mouths
>Deflecting being called Virt
Nice try virt. You are so easy to spot.
>>
>During a fight in the middle of nowhere an unknown NPC appears
>Doesn't talk or reply to our questions
>He's the same race as the creatures that are attacking us
>Flanks us giving us more reasons to believe he's an enemy
>We attack him and kill him in one hit
>DM "The fuck are you doing?! you fucking killed the key NPC for this campaign, fuck!, game is over, now I have to come up with another campaign, fuck you, guys"
Sorry, GM, if your special snowflake NPC didn't want to be killed maybe he could have introduced himself as an ally, or, I dunno, at least fucking talk instead of act like an enemy
>>
File: 1445281566242.jpg (62 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1445281566242.jpg
62 KB, 500x498
How easy is it for a Warlock to free himself from a demonic patron? Can it even be done at all? Can he retain his power or does it all come from the patron?
>>
>>43951938
>How easy is it for a Warlock to free himself from a demonic patron?
Depends on the GM, I guess
>Can it even be done at all?
See above
>Can he retain his power or does it all come from the patron?
Can a fighter retain his powers if someone removes his sword?
Just because warlock has a patron doesn't mean he loses his powers the moment he goes against his patron's wishes
>>
>>43951938
Warlocks abilities, while granted by a patron, are implied to be part of their innate abilities once they're granted that power.

Obviously the relationship can be modified to fit a character concept or story needs, with patrons being able to freely strip or buff their warlocks as they see fit, but nowhere does it say that if you have a bad relationship with your patron do you lose your powers.
>>
>>43951686
dm a retard did you all explain to him in slow and small words why that was retarded?
>>
>>43950814
I love fighters. I always have. So I'm bias when I think they are fun to play at any level, but I will admit that they have a somewhat less than stellar mid level. Between level 8 and 12 there is not much you get, but I'm ok with that because I can still charge into a room filled with enemies and be perfectly fine.
>>
>>43951938
You're completely wrong. Not even "about a few things", no, just, so much wrong that you yourself have become wrong.

Warlocks are NOT "I sold my soul and now the price" characters.
>They do not gain power faster than any other adventurer class
>They do not gain more power - in fact they're one of the weaker classes - than other adventurer classes
>They do not have any special soul protections that "someone else already owns it" would generally confer vs curses, soul-traps and leprechauns that make you wish for shit.

Warlock patrons are their *teachers*, or at least research subjects. Warlocks get their abilities through study and practice just as much as any wizard - which is why CHA is questionable for them compared to INT or at least Wisdom. They are not seducing Shub'Nigurath nor diplomancing it into teaching some tricks. They don't even need to fight against some sort of soul erosion or the like. They need no more charisma to become a warlock than that snotty jerkass needed it to convince some old beardy pervert to take him in as an apprentice. You learn different magics and different abilities because you're learning from something that operates reality differently. In some cases you might be copying some ancient eldritch horror that doesn't even understand you're there.

A Fiendish patron is not something you're beholden to. It means the one teaching you magic is that kind of inhuman being. Most likely? You're family. Evil doesn't mean one can't have things they like or even love, after all, and many sentient entities adore and spoil the fuck out of their grandkids at any opportunity.

The only person who'd wish that demon would stop what he's doing with your warlock was probably the warlock's exasperated mother.

>Damnit dad, everytime he comes home from your layer he starts running around with some new hell magic and doesn't want to eat his brussel sprouts. Stop giving him all those imps!
>Aw come on, look at that face, how can I say no to that!
>>
>>43951686
Any chance you're playing HotDQ?

Similar thing happened with my players except the character just died and that was that. There aren't really repercussions though, it's just now that NPC isn't around to impart information.
>>
>>43951686
I'm sure there are some key details missing but he should of done more to identify him as an ally. I have my own lil pack of murder hobos and I know from experience you have to make allies very obvious when combat is in progress and you have to make certain NPCs very strong if they are going to do anything that the party does not approve of, if they are key to the story at least.
>>
>>43952406

Interesting, I'll have to do some more reading on them.
>>
>>43951938
Warlock don't exactly lose their soul. Tbh I doubt any real contract is make unless you are a devil worshiping warlock. It's more of a "I will serve / worship you of you give Me power" kinda deal. You can always chose to terminate it but you will not be able to gain anymore warlock levels. But desu it's all flavor really so it's DMs decision.
>>
File: sigilscene.jpg (220 KB, 1600x957) Image search: [Google]
sigilscene.jpg
220 KB, 1600x957
Is Sigil in 5e?
>>
Stat him
>>
>>43952663
It's mentioned with the Great Wheel and the Outlands in the DMG. It depends on your DM and your campaign, of course, but by default it's part of the official D&D meta-setting. I mean, Sigil was even in 4e, and if ever it was going to be written out of D&D it was then.
>>
>>43952663
That's an unusually tidy neighborhood. There isn't even any razorvine crawling over everything.
>>
>>43952785
It's mentioned in the PHB, although that section is pretty much copy-pasted in the DMG.

Also it gets a mention in the PHB right at the start of Chapter 2: Races.

They do this kind of thing with Athas and Eberron too, so I don't know if it's just "hey this is part of D&D" or teasing future products.
>>
>>43952769
fire based dragon sorcerer with handaxe and unique focus.
>>
>>43952406
While what you're describing are valid ways of playing a warlock, the deal with the devil thing is also perfectly valid.
>>
What's the worst feat?
>>
>>43953164
savage strike
>>
>>43953164
Probably durable or dungeon delver. Both give very situational and lackluster bonuses. Imo skulker is terrible too but I've heard other people like it a lot so yeah
>>
>>43952603
Actually the 'pact' is you and a lesser thing; either weapon binds, a worthless familiar that apparently gives you NOTHING of its special abilities (so it really is quite useless) or a ritual book that lets you all the rituals plus a few extra spells from wherever for maximum useful.
>>
File: spookyghosts.gif (443 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
spookyghosts.gif
443 KB, 500x343
>>43953106
For some BBEG that's gone from shit to powerful in 6 months flat, sure.

But mechanically, and by the Warlock fluff in the book itself, no, they're not making a soul-deal with the devil.

The only ones that WANT it to be that are "and the paladin falls" level THAT-GMs who pic-related themselves at the thought of forcing a massive, terminal and/or puppet-state condition on a player as a price for abilities that are less than those of others in the party. Oh yeah, oh YEAH he's gonna PAY. If I use completely arbitrary definitions from other games or systems and fuck him over royally for his class choice, he's gonna fucking PAY... HHHNNNNNGGGG CREEME FREEESH
>>
>>43953360
>a worthless familiar that apparently gives you NOTHING of its special abilities (so it really is quite useless)

>invisible flying imp you can cast spells through, that has poison damage on its attacks, is fully expendable, loyal, and can be resummoned for free if it dies

I mean, it doesn't scale well but at low levels it's amazing.
>>
File: ExpctdDmgVStargetToHit.png (98 KB, 1120x425) Image search: [Google]
ExpctdDmgVStargetToHit.png
98 KB, 1120x425
>>43948805
I have done the math. Great axe beats great sword with just one extra dice for crit.

Image shows a table that indicates expected damage versus target to hit given extra weapon dice on a crit (WD) with three groupings: standard (no extra WD, no advantage), extra WD and ADV, extra WD but no advantage.

The advantage bit is thrown in there since attacking with advantage makes crits more likely.

Notice also the third column in each grouping is just the ratio of GA damage to GS damage (expected.)
>>
>>43953466
It's not free. Unless rituals ignore the 10 gp cost of summon familiar. Granted that's pretty cheap but it's not free.
>>
>>43953969
I forgot to add, I have the selector at the left to change how many extra damage die you get for higher level barbarians.

Also note that the extra "adv" grouping is sensible since barbarians can attack recklessly to get advantage whenever they'd like.
>>
>>43954030
Fuck. I should also mention this assumes Great Weapon Fighting style, so a barbarian would need to take a Fighter dip...

Drinking and posting a shit.
>>
>>43953969
>I have done the math
No, you have done the math for a fighter/barbarian, not for a barbarian. Try again.
>>
>>43954881
I already admitted that. Also, fuck you.
>>
>>43954881
I also did do the math, but I posted the wrong chart, shithead.
>>
>>43952769
>Lvl 1
>12 Str
>10 Dex
>10 Con
>10 Int
>8 Wis
>12 Cha

>1 Handed Axe
>Wand of Fireballs
>>
File: sorin.jpg (91 KB, 620x509) Image search: [Google]
sorin.jpg
91 KB, 620x509
What are his stats, gear and/or spells?
>>
File: kenku5.jpg (18 KB, 432x411) Image search: [Google]
kenku5.jpg
18 KB, 432x411
Kenkus have gotta be one of my favorite races and I played one in 4e. I'd like to bring him back. Any good homebrew ideas for being Kenku despite +2 DEX and using Mimicry etc?
>>
So I'm a really new DM, I've only ever ran the Lost Mines of Phandelver (did this twice with different groups), a couple of one-night small adventures, and a short murder mystery that was supposed to be the start of a campaign but the group fell apart due to players work schedules.

The group I'm currently DMing for just broke away from the written LMoP adventure and I'm trying to set myself up to continue the campaign as a sandbox in the Sword Coast setting. I don't have the time to devote to creating tons of encounters, making intricate dungeons, and planning out super elaborate stories and quests.

My question is, what kind of random tables do I need in order to do this? At the moment I have don jon and the DM tools from Leugren's website and these seem to cover treasure generators, NPC generators, plot hooks and side quests, dungeons, and enemy and encounters.

Am I missing anything? Is it entirely possible for me to just use these to cover my entire campaign with encounters, treasure, the random maps I might need, and settlements/npcs?

Should I be preparing more stuff? This is in roll20 btw.
>>
>>43956802
I had quickly put together a Kenku PC race a while ago, but never actually used it in a campaign nor do I plan to. I do not claim it to be balanced at all, and it probably isn't, but at the very least you can use it for ideas.

>Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
>Age. Kenku mature at about the same age as humans.
>Alignment. Kenku tend toward chaotic neutral
>Size. Kenku stand between four and five feet tall. Your size is Medium.
>Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
>Mimicry. You can mimic any sound you have heard, including voices. When mimicking voices, you can only repeat words and phrases you have heard, not create new sentences. A creature that cannot see you speak can discern that the sounds you make are an imitation with a Wisdom (Insight) check. The DC for this check is equal to 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus. You also gain proficiency in the Deception skill.
>Ambusher. You gain proficiency in the Stealth skill. In addition, you have advantage on attack rolls against any creature you have surprised.
>Perfect Forgery. A Kenku's talent for mimicry extends to its handwriting. You gain proficiency with calligrapher's supplies. In addition, any ability checks you make to forge handwritten documents automatically succeed.
>Languages. You can can understand, read, and write Common and Auran. However, you can only speak through the use of your Mimicry trait. This also applies to any other language you learn.
>>
>>43957037
You probably want to reread what you're replying to.
>>
File: wat cat 3.jpg (197 KB, 671x652) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 3.jpg
197 KB, 671x652
>>43957037
Anon....
>>
File: horse-head-mask.jpg (28 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
horse-head-mask.jpg
28 KB, 230x230
>>43957080
Y-you, too.
>>
>>43957080
Dude what.
>>
>>43957080
What the fuck?
>>
>>43947501
Wizard
>>
>>43957083
>>43957107
>>43957135
>>43957165
Some ultranigger is spamming feces al over the board. Just report and move on
>>
File: G1hMDhK.jpg (64 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
G1hMDhK.jpg
64 KB, 625x351
>>43947911
>>
>>43953980
Casting a ritual only makes it so that you don't expend a spell slot, but takes an extra 10 min.

The quasit can polymorph into another creature, though, and when it dies in that form it reverts back to a quasit. If you're cautious, it's possible it could never die.
>>
>>43957075
Whoops. Misunderstood "spell point" for "point buy". My bad.
>>
>>43950602
Good players are hard to come by, almost as hard as good dm's. Some compromises are usually made.
>>
>>43951022
>>43951508
>>43951300
I think he meant that you don't have a strong amount of how the character operates baked into class features. That leaves you with a blank slate to describe what your character's doing or how what they do sets them apart.
>>
>>43950178
I ban my players from using their electronics, but I use my laptop for my own references, and we have a big screen with a desktop so I can show them pictures and whatnot.

I usually end up ignoring my laptop until it falls asleep. Then I'm like 'shit, I need to reboot my notes.'
>>
I got roped into a new campaign of 5e.

What's the best homebrewed port of Warforged? I'm partial to Keith Baker's version from Extra Life (slight upgrade from the WotC version, which is just bad all around), but I'm not sure if there are better ones out there. FWIW, I'm aiming for a warforged wizard (it's complicated).
>>
Would it be too good to give normal humans +2 con and a saving throw proficiency of their choice instead of the normal stats? They are the only naturally evolving race so I want that to be reflected in them being more able to survive in general. Variant Human can already get prof in a saving throw and +1 in that stat on top of the +1 to any 2 stats.
>>
Is it edgy to have a BBEG who kidnaps a chromatic dragon and keeps it as a pet?

He'd basically keep it in enchanted chains and torture it into doing what he wants. He's also an elder god, so he's definitely powerful enough to pull it off.

I mainly want it for a story point later on where the characters have the option to seek the aide of a gold. If they do, he decides that he likes their dragon better and swaps them before they get there. The players then have to deal with a dragon who's seen some shit and had his pride utterly broken—after all, at least it could take some solace in being the worthy mount of this guy before, but now it's been cast aside from even that.

Then the players have to either convince it to help them or help it commit suicide
>>
>>43944469
Why is an orc warchief by himself in the middle of nowhere
>>
Just rolled up my character for my first game on roll20. Got pretty good stats compared to everyone else it seems, but not too savvy on where to go with it.

Str - 14 Dex - 13 Con - 12 Int - 14 Wis - 18 Cha - 11

I wanted to go Wizard before we decided we were doing 4d6 down the line, but wouldn't that be a waste of that 18 Wis?
>>
Are there any spellcasters below CR 2 in any published material? I need some slightly arcane fodder in a mega-encounter coming up soon.
>>
>>43959951
That would be a really good cleric, could even whack some goblins upside the head pretty good too.
>>
>>43960082
The Black Spider in LMoP is challenge rating 2 wizard iirc.
>>
>>43960082
Also there's a challenge rating 1 "evil mage" in MLoP now that I have the module in hand.
>>
>>43959951
Cleric is good for the decent strength, otherwise Druid is also really good since they are single ability score dependent (that one being Wis).
>>
>>43960082
Acolyte is CR 1/4. Just swap spell list to arcane
>>
I'm thinkin about a paladin 6/lore bard 4/warlock undyng light 1/ lore bard 9
Can be good?
>>
should i make a monk for a fist style enemy or there is a monster like that?
>>
>>43961240
Most of the monsters in the MM beat the hell out of people with the fists/feet/noodly appendages. If thats what you mean open up the book mang.

Although my vote is for a super-intelligent gorilla that abhors tech of all kinds and just beats the shit out of your party with his bare hands. Then he tosses their gear.
>>
k so i started in 4e start pack and got used to the combat but now my group wants to run 5e

the combat and spells are confusing as fuck i just dont get the flow of combat.
>>
File: Kizmel.png (133 KB, 350x218) Image search: [Google]
Kizmel.png
133 KB, 350x218
Not that this is likely, but is there a "weaker" variant of the dark elf that doesn't have disadvantage in direct light? Asking because reasons.
>>
Help me build an investigator who works for the army.
I think valor bard with soldier bg is good.
Any advices?
>>
>>43961701
I've not looked into bard but I assume you'll want dex to be your highest stat followed by con or cha, and your tertiary stat being the one you didn't pick.
>>
>>43961693
Wood and high elf skin tones can get pretty dark too. Like, Japanese brown elves can be either quite easily.

If it's a more purple-ish complexion, that's more unique to drow.
>>
>>43961701
I'd probably make it a Rogue instead, but that seems fine enough.
>>
>>43961736
i know but my group needs a support...
>>
>>43961693
Half-drow?
>>
>>43961725
Thanks, I was considering refluffing high-elf, but was gonna look for an alternative in case there was one.
>>
>>43961701
JAG
>>
>>43948336
Just eyeball it
>>
>>43961693
Half-elf Variant.
>>
File: 1422926174435.jpg (94 KB, 773x768) Image search: [Google]
1422926174435.jpg
94 KB, 773x768
Thinking about fighter archtypes, What does /5eg/ think about the purple dragon knight?

Personally I'd only ever want to play it in a high level campaign, since levels 3-7 it's like you've not even got an archtype feature, and the expertise in persuasion is nice, but you're still stuck with a small AoE heal once per short rest until level 10.
>>
>>43962306
I'm actually pretty fond of the Banneret myself. It does what it does, and it does it fairly well. As far as fighters go, it makes for a better no-frills experience than the Champion does, in my experience.
>>
>>43945102
It sounds like you're either garbage, your player's are garbage, or you're fucking with the rules/system to make it more difficult.
>>
>>43947554
What item is the waifublade?
>>
>>43962430
The sentient Sunblade.
>>
>>43962466
Graz mang
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>43949818
That feel when a powerplayer missreads alot of shit trying to become op.
>>
>>43962749
You feel like a stuffed turtle?
>>
>>43962749
I know that feel, well, not exactly that, more like our GM misreading stuff to make creatures overpowered as fuck

For example giving all monsters invisibility at will (hide in plain sight with disadvantage to perception to anybody and can attack without removing their invisibility because), I srly don't know where did he got that.
>>
>>43962785
He could've homebrewed it. Was it a fun battle?
>>
>>43962785
Greater invisibility is a thing.
>>
>>43948336
Calculate CR as normal.

I'd suggest taking one of the NPC stat blocks and giving them features you want, then recalculating CR. Don't bother going through the entire PC building process.
>>
Do you guys feel that there is a design space in 5e for a mobile front line melee class? As I'm imagining it, they'd use melee weapons mostly, wear light armor, and maneuver around the battlefield and enemies without provoking AoOs.

I know there's elements of this type of class in the Fighter (specifically the Battlemaster archetype), Barbarian, and Rogue, but is there enough design space there to be worth exploring?
>>
>>43962306
I houseruled them to get a version of the Bard's Inspiration dice, in order to give them something more to do.
>>
>>43964192
The rogue already does that, specifically.

>melee weapons
>light armor
>maneuver around the battlefield without provoking OAs (bonus action dash/disengage)
>>
>>43964192
>>43964248
The monk is also a mobile melee skirmisher. Also, anyone with the mobile feat.

So no, not only is there no design space for this due to it already existing, but there's also no design space because as a class, it's not distinctive enough of an archetype to mean anything. It'd be like having a whole class for archers.
>>
>>43964292
>>43964248

OK, I asked mainly cause I had a weird dream about one of my players using something called a 'Slayer' class and it was just wrecking things left and right from using a sort of Cleave class feature.
>>
>>43947554
Not especially glitzy or anything, but the +3 Greatsword I picked up is rock solid (literally, it's made of obsidian). As a GWM Paladin, it was a godsend. Currently level 9, and I'm Power Attacking at +6 for 2d6+17, plus whatever assorted smite damage I throw in. Good times. I don't really foresee any weapon replacing this one until a module is polite enough to include a Holy Avenger. And the chances of that happening are probably not good.
>>
>>43959341
Bump
>>
>>43964406
Cleave exists as an optional rule in the DMG, which you may want to look into.
>>
>>43959341
>>43964473
Yeah that's fine. You're good.
>>
>>43964487
Thank you
>>
File: 1429653847643.png (237 KB, 382x597) Image search: [Google]
1429653847643.png
237 KB, 382x597
>>43962818
>>
>>43964477
No I knew that (I'm the DM for my group) but this was something else. From what I can remember in the dream, the class was something like:

>d10 HD
>proficient w/ all melee weapons, only light armor
> Move speed was 40 ft. and moving by enemies didn't provoke AoOs
> He burned a maneuver die and did a sweeping Whirlwind Attack 3 times with his 3 attacks to hit the 4 foes he was next to with his GS
> He was approx. level 12 as I remember seeing his character sheet and he had 20 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con, and 10s in Int, Wis, and Cha

Maybe my mind was just blending together the Mobile feat with Battlemaster Fighter and he was RPing the class as a swift dude with a big-ass sword.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.