[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Delta Green
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: motdeltagreen.jpg (58 KB, 768x529) Image search: [Google]
motdeltagreen.jpg
58 KB, 768x529
In case you missed the kickstarter, there's open preorders available on backerkit
So, has anyone played the beta? how was it?
https://delta-green-the-role-playing-game.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

>Quickstart kit + adventure
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uen96o0fj9ytswm/Delta%20Green%20RPG%20Quickstart%20Kit.zip?dl=0

>Core rules official beta
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OogZHpifybUFvdSi9lCpttF50hkiRPGw3J-Efiax-YQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Podcast
http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/

>Shotgun scenarios + wiki
http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios
>>
>>43940560
Prepared but not played.
>>
>>43940560

Aw shit son I'm all signed up for this shit, I'm in a roll20 game on Saturdays and trying to get an IRL one going because fuck whatever else I was going to do on weekends, time to make other humans feel sad and small in the cosmos wow that kind of sounds bad when you say it out loud.

Anyway.

I've noticed that the Cthulhu Mythos skill has been replaced with Unnatural. Is that just a symptom of divorcing from CoC? Trail has Mythos as a skill though so it's not like Petersen can claim copyright or whatever over that. Or are they going more towards making their own mythos and just trying to get away from Old Man Squidface?
>>
>>43941125
Unnatural is a sanity track, it informs you how hardened your character is, not how savvy.

Occult should cover Mythos, the distinction is only relevant in the classic 1920s setting. In the world of DG the difference between arcane magic and knowledge about greater beings is slim.
>>
>>43941313

No, Unnatural is a skill as well as a source of SAN loss
>>
>>43941359
I stand corrected
>Occult
Base rating: 10%.
The study of the supernatural as understood by human practices and traditions,
including things like conspiracy theories, fringe science, and cryptozoology. This may encompass elements
of the truly unnatural; but to confirm their true significance you need the Unnatural skill. Among other things
you can use Occult to examine and deduce the intent of a ritual or to identify occult traditions, groups,
grimoires, tools, symbols, and legends. Failure means incomplete understanding.

>Unnatural
Base rating: 0%.
Knowledge
of the fundamental, mind-rending secrets of the universe. Use it to remember,
recognize, or research facts about the things humans consider unnatural. This goes
far
beyond the occult,
insomuch as Unnatural represents things that are
real.
Use it to sift through the darkest parts of myth and
folklore and recognize which of it is true. Such knowledge is corrosive to the human mind. Your SAN score
can never be higher than 99 minus your Unnatural skill rating.

Must have been thinking of Nemesis.
>>
>>43941125
>Or are they going more towards making their own mythos and just trying to get away from Old Man Squidface?
I wouldn't say that, maybe they're just trying to downplay it.
>>
>>43941125
>trying to get away from Old Man Squidface
DG has always had its own spin. It doesn't exactly contradict Lovecraft lore, and it definitely references it. But it goes beyond it and oftewn invents whole backstories and details about the creatures agents deal with. Like Mi-go Grey, Hastur entropy, or the Esoteric Order of Dagon in the modern world. My fav is a non canon twist of the Tcho-tcho on Fairfieldproject.
>>
What are some themes you would like to play with in DG?

I have been thinking about it since the Monday Group + Waco thread. I'm not waiting a year to see what has been published as scenarios. We have to make a few. So what should they be about?

>Archaeological dig in Jerusalem
>Stolen artifacts in Syria
>Refugees on the Balkan route
>Undercover in Iran
>Mall attack with hostages in India
>Pirates
>Sakawa in Ghana
>The Scott Amundsen station, I just like that place
>Some kind of submarine
>Lower Earth Orbit
>Mars
>The Tuttle family
>Evil Weed dispensary
>Fukushima
>The great Pacific garbage spyre

Now I realize these touch on hot topics. But Pagan has never been one to shy away from extremes, just don't color it too much. DG is not about right or wrong. Morality is utilitarian, not esoteric.
>>
>>43941650

God, I hated the parts about the Mi-Go and Hastur in the books. "The Mi-Go worship energy! They like humans because our brains are special and we can do intuition, making up super-special!" That's drek and it really spits in the face of cosmicism. Their Hastur stuff feels more like it belongs in Neil Gaiman than Lovecraft/Chambers. (Not disparaging Gaiman as a writer, just that his stuff is far more whimsical etc and that's what DG Hastur makes me think of)

I think it's at it's strongest when it's about humans intersecting with the mythos, sure. The Skoptsi, the Children of the Worm, the Tcho-Tcho drug syndicate. To a lesser extent, the Cult of Transcendence and the Karotechia. They're pretty good at coming up with fucked-up things humans do and tying Mythos things to it. I just don't particularly like some of the wholesale Mythos stuff they come up with.
>>
>>43941419
Such fine distinctions in skills are not useful. Most players and GMs would not be able to agree on the where the line between Occult and Unnatural stands, making this a completely arbitrary - and worthless - distinction.
>>
>>43945149
>failure to comprehend read text
Occult: Man's history of imagining things
Unnatural: Actual things
>>
>>43945149

I don't really agree that you couldn't agree on a difference - Mythos is occultism that works and "true" cosmology, metaphysics etc. Occult is "weaker" in that what it deals with might be true HISTORICALLY (ie "there was a weird cult in 14th century Yorkshire") or in terms of belief structures ("the weird cult believed whippets were sacred"). But you couldn't do "real magic" with Occult like you could with Unnatural/Mythos
>>
I really want to run DG, but I'm more of an improvisational gm and DG seems like lots of planning is required for a good experience
>>
>>43946417
Not at all. In fact the premise preempts a lot of problems you run into with CoC. You should understand the conspiracy, beyond that it's a free for all. Look at the Shotgun Shells, add goon stats and you're ready to go.
>>
Favorite creature or enemy? I'm a huge fan of the Hounds of Tindalos
>>
>>43946808
Why?

In game terms they're pretty useless. They cannot be beaten or killed, they never leave off a prey they started hunting, they bridge space and time... It's basically the equivalent of giving a character cancer. Roll for metastasis.
>>
>>43946451
>goon stats
Fuck that noise. If they put a shotgun slug or some 00 Buckshot in the guy he is dead.

The real question then becomes how do they react when he gets back up, black oily goo dripping from ragged exit wounds that work as a window into his hollowed out torso.
>>
>>43947142
Then it's just storytiem. No, you should roll when the characters can fail. Kill damage does what you want, no need for pretend OPFOR. Have real challenges to overcome, and kill those who fail.

Otherwise what's the point of rolling dice?
>>
File: scully_cig.gif (499 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
scully_cig.gif
499 KB, 500x341
>>43946808
>>43947142
Fucking "basement wizard" tier cultists. Let me explain: Lets say Johnny Fugazi lives a relatively normal life, normal for a former NEET, or whatever passes for normal in the 21st century. He stopped being a complete shut-in when he realized he would need more than the neighbors cats to sustain the thing he summoned from his grandfathers scorched journal remnants.

>>43944764
>Mi-Go created the Greys as bioroids
Total fucking waste of my time. Although it really makes no difference since most agents will never find out this terrible secret. Still, I decided if anyone gets close to figuring it out, it turns out it was just another lie.

The truth is far more dangerous than the shit A-cell lets you know.
>>
File: 1387279710531.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1387279710531.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>43947197
>implying without stats for squishies its storytime
>arguing that murderhobo is the way to play CoC/DG
>thinks good GM'ing involves the phrase "The cultist has 3 hit points left!"
>thinks players should be able to know all the metagaming bits, like the stats for some unknowable horror from beyond this dimension

Go back to pathfinder you worthless fucking murderhobo apologist
>>
>>43948996
Kinda lost on your own track there, son.
>>
>>43949093
Kinda lost up your own ass there, human.
>>
>>43946910

To be fair, there's an argument to be made about an unbeatable foe being appropriate for cosmic horror. But honestly most use of Hounds I've seen has been that they're hunting major NPCs, not PC's
>>
>>43949269
Yes, they are more of a plot device than a creature to face.
>>
>>43946808
I'm pretty partial to Tcho-Tcho for a weird and dangerous enemy that can still be beat by more conventional means. Also Adepts from The Fate if I'm feeling in an Unknown Armies mood.
>>
>>43948996
this poster is a star spawn
>>
File: 1446213022517.jpg (730 KB, 2132x1839) Image search: [Google]
1446213022517.jpg
730 KB, 2132x1839
>>43950748
>>
>>43948996
>implying he's arguing that murderhobo is the way to play DG
>implying GMs have to describe HP loss numerically
>implying he said at any point that players should be able to know how many HP anything has, goons included
I'm all for a narrativist focus on things like investigation, minor skill checks and talking to NPCs but Delta Green has combat rules and hit points for the same reason they recommend making a Demolitions check when trying to disarm a bomb on a countdown.
>>
File: 1428130046954.jpg (113 KB, 600x882) Image search: [Google]
1428130046954.jpg
113 KB, 600x882
>>43951030
We were not having a discussion, he made a strawman of my position and I purposefully misinterpreted what he said.

Goddamn, is this your first day here?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.