[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern Faerie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (233 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233 KB, 480x680
Modern Fags, what's keeping Faeries from being a tier one deck?
>>
On theory, bitterblossom is awesomesauce
in reality, it's a t2 play that feels like a timewalk, don't start to generate advantage til turn 3 and slowly kills you. that combined with the fact that faeries don't have lifegain and the fact manabases on modern are painful as fuck, makes the deck an easy prey to burn, affinity, zoo.
>>
>>43938854
Very valid points, but in the decks defense, it has a fairly painless mana base compared to some other decks
>>
File: sheep_a_beep.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
sheep_a_beep.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>43938774
you will have to offset that life loss quick
>>
File: impact goblins.png (142 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
impact goblins.png
142 KB, 223x311
>>43938956
and then make others hate you

enjoy running red-white-black
>>
>>43938774
because it is basically dimir control, but grixis control is better.
>>
>>43938774
Bitterblossom makes it a free matchup for burn.
>>
While BB, Thoughtsieze, Cryptic Command and Vendilion Clique are powerful cards, none of them require a Faeries shell to operate in. The tribe has received zero tribal support since Lorwyn, so the cards that used to be played in Faeries are better used in other decks with more support from the card pool.
>>
File: image.png (281 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
281 KB, 640x1136
They have some really great and powerful cards, painfree lands for U/B as well as cool utility lands, and synergy for going full fearie tribal
I think that this is their main problem, IMHO, but I've never played much faeries so take what I say with a grain of salt.
>>
>>43939371
where pic related is the best of the list for a turn 1 creature.
Idk maybe with aether vials this point could be null.
>>
File: image.png (120 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.png
120 KB, 223x311
>>43939463
>>
>>43938774
Because its slow for a very aggressive metagame. I've been running a traditional dimir build and the worst card I'm running Ive found is Scion of Oona, its just too slow. Spellstutter is not doing that much work either. I think adding at least 3 Snapcaster Mages and more kill spells would help.

>>43938854
I dont run fetches or shocks and it works fine.
>>
>>43939650
Do you run aether vials?
care to post list?
>>
>>43939871
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Scion of Oona
3 Mistbind Clique
2 Vendilion Clique

4 Bitterblossom

2 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Cryptic Command
2 Mana Leak
3 Remand
1 Dismember
3 Go for the Throat
1 Jace Beleren

4 Mutavault
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Secluded Glen
2 River of Tears
3 Creeping Tarpit
5 Island
3 Swamp
>>
>>43938774
It looks really good on paper, but BB slowly kills you, and those 1/1 fairy tokens are surprisingly easy to deal with. Honestly, I'd rather play Bob on turn 2 and draw a random card at the cost of potentially more life, than always lose 1 life and get a 1/1 flying critter.

Fairies are still fun in casual, tohugh, although you don't want to have too many copies of the rough cards like BB and Mistbind Clique. If you play those every single game people will hate you, so only use 1 or 2 copies.
>>
>>43940101
Ty sir
>>
>>43939650
>>43940468
Seconding these guys after trying to make my old faeries deck work. It's a wonderful slow control deck, but unless you drop a BB t2 you probably won't win and the faeries take too long to kill the opponent in most cases. The life bleed doesn't seem bad, but for the amount of burn cards prevalent, you are giving away a few extra cards to them.
>>
I actually actively play Faeries in Modern so here's my opinion.

Faeries is utterly outclassed in Modern. The main thing it lacks is card draw, it empties its hand very quickly and then can't refresh it. The best draw spell it maindecks is fucking Cryptic Command. There is a good reason nearly every online advocate for Faeries starts off saying 'I loved this deck in Lorwyn or Extended'.

Bitterblossom is fun to play and is pretty tiltworthy due to reputation but it's utterly outclassed as token generation by things like Lingering Souls, which is also a bitch and a half for your deck to deal with. This ain't Extended buddy, you're never going to build up a mass of tokens to swing with. No joking, when I board this is the card that normally comes out.

Cryptic Command is not good in this deck. As weird as that sounds it's simply not worth its pricetag or its mana, particularly when you want to be activating your Tarpits more often.

On the plus side Vendilion Clique still rocks and Modern being so aggressive means that Spellstutter doesn't actually need many/any faeries in play to be useful.

Mistbind is what wins me games, though the Champion effect when I can't consistently say I'll have a faerie seeing as all my tokens end up under Goyfs, my Blossom gets murderised and so on is painful.

My actual wins come when I scrap off my fairly traditional list (more or less >>43940101, I run less Scions and a pinch more discard and counter along with 2 less swamps, 1 urborg and 1 tec edge) and go Grixis Faerie Aggro, where I pack in 8-10 burn spells, drop all but 1 Cryptic, run 2 Mistbind, 3 Spellstutter, 3 Vendilion, 4 Delver, 6 mixed discard, 4 Mana Leak and 4 Serum Visions.
>>
>>43942674
Alternatively junk the discard and the mistbind from the aggro list and run 4 scion, 4 phantasmal image
>>
This is why
>kay, so I pay 2... for this synergy counter... that can be played around and...
vs
>I remove 99% of this game's permanents. No questions asked. For two mana. No counterplay ;)

>I tap all of your lands once and lose a creature
vs
>EoT-Tap your land. My turn, I win the game.

>I play bittermeme
vs
>I play a 2+/3+, no downside.
basically your "tempo" plays are dogshit.
>>
>>43938854
The loss of life isn't what makes Faeries bad. When Bitterblossom was unbanned, Delver was a much bigger thing, so Electrolyze was everywhere. Electrolyze fucking OBLITERATES Bitterblossom. Because of this, Faeries is likely better positioned now than when it first disappointed everyone and dropped off the scene.

But yeah in general the problem with Faeries is that Modern is a much faster format than Lorwyn standard, so you can't afford to be tapping out on turn 2 for an enchantment that not only does nothing, but feeds Goyf 2 card types he doesn't usually get hold of. Man, Goyf is so good against Faeries.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.