[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone run a successful campaign based on the Naruto universe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: 1603.jpg (222 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
1603.jpg
222 KB, 1600x600
Has anyone run a successful campaign based on the Naruto universe? What system did you use?
>>
>>43938109
Yes. Fate.
>>
No. GURPS.

Game fell apart due to two of the five players acting (I hope they were acting) like complete man children over their special snowflake rainbow hair ninjas. The other two besides be and the man children flaked after the first session. I then left after the second session.
>>
>>43938234
Can you tell me more about your campaign? Did you DM? How many players?
>>
>>43938337
I was the GM, two players.

It was a competitive game used as a trial run to see if we could make it work. Player A was to retrieve some information, Player B was a guard.

A decided, rather quickly, to abandon subtly and attempted to acquire the information with threats and violence. B intervened and a fight insued. A dominated the fight with little effort thanks to demon chakra, but got overconfident and tried to finish with style instead of pragmatism. B knocked A out of the fight with a single counterattack and A was rescued by a comrade.

It was pretty good honestly.
>>
>>43938234
>>43938312
I've only ever heard of these systems, never actually used them. Is there a specific edition you'd recommend?
>>
>>43938445
Fate Core
>>>http://fate-srd.com/

You don't even have to buy it.
>>
>>43938109
http://www.narutod20.com/downloads/

Naruto d20 is actually fucking amazing. I don't even like Naruto, and I wanted to keep using the system. It has a fuckload of bonus rules for adding in shit from Rurouni Kenshin and other shounen anime.

It's exhaustively specific, covering pretty much every jutsu/bloodline/technique.

Seriously, I often consider setting aside a week to scrub all the Naruto flavor from the game engine and using it for generic Kung Fu campaigns. It was so much fun.
>>
>>43938506
>1100 pages of pure content, including over 1000 techniques, more than 20 new advanced and prestige classes, and over 70 new feats, including meta-chakra feats, a new and improved chakra and technique system.

>1100 pages

Jesus christ.
>>
>>43938434
Sounds like this was meant to be one session. Was it? The group interested is 4, including myself. I'm intending to acquire enough knowledge to bring it up to our usual DM and maybe I'll co-DM. We only truly are used to DnD 4e.
>>
>>43938469
Sweet. Is it easy to pick-up?

>>43938506
As I made this thread I found that. I'm glad to know that it's a good source if I can't get into anything else. Can you tell me more about your campaign?
>>
>>43938531
It was meant to be one session, a test run to see if we could make an actual game out of Naruto.

I intend to go back to it later now that I've refined my approach a bit.
>>
>>43938569
>Sweet. Is it easy to pick-up?
Depends on you, Fate seems to be a Love or Hate system.

I learned it in a night, using Star Wars.
>>
>>43938569
Basically all of the players agreed to be runaway genin from their respective villages. They weren't criminals or missin nin per se; just runaways. They decided to erect their own village innawoods and were basically a roaming group of bounty hunters. They basically used the bingo books from their home villages to grab low level rewards to work on funding, and then started producing goods to create an economy.

It eventually fell apart as infighting occurred and people started slapping curse seals all over themselves and hulking out with Chidoris.

Chidori is incredibly effective.
>>
>>43938719
>runaway genin
>They weren't criminals or missin nin per se
What exactly does it cost in your setting to be a missing-nin?
>>
>>43938822
Tsunade wasn't a missing nin when she left after the Second Shinobi World War.

In my setting, you're not branded nukenin unless you're a piece of shit that kills someone from his own village/steals dank ninja secrets/etc.
>>
>>43938929
Tsunade was ALLOWED to leave by the Hokage.
>>
>>43938992

Most hokage have better shit to do than worry about a single genin not showing up for a dog-catching mission. They're unlikely to go full ANBU HUNT THIS NIGGA DOWN AND KILL HIM RIGHT NOW. Shit, most of them couldn't even be bothered to deal with Akatsuki, who were directly declaring war and rubbing their dicks in everyone's face.

Sasuke left Konoha and was gone for years without being declared missing nin. It wasn't until he went maximum shitlord that they decided maybe they should do something.
>>
>>43938719
I assume though that there's enough wiggle room to create your own Jutsus, techniques, etc.
>>
>>43939087
Most kage don't worry about they're missing-nin, that's what they have subordinates for, that's the entire purpose of hunter-nin existing and they got on the Akatsuki the moment they started causing trouble. They left them alone when they were just acting as mercenaries, except Onoki who hired them a couple times, because unless the Kage want to go handle it themselves there's little you can do about a group of S-Rank nin. Itachi dropped the four strongest Jounin in Konoha by looking at them.

Sasuke was only kept off book because nepotism is the most powerful force in Naruto and Konoha specifically.
>>
>>43939190
Easily, but there's over a thousand jutsu, so good chance what you wanna make already exists.
>>
>>43939199
The point is, there's about a million different reasons for villages to not give a single fuck about their missing nins, whether it's fear, nepotism, greed, nonchalance, etc.

In my game, it just so happened that 4 runaway genin that no one gave a fuck about were the PCs, and it was not a big deal.
>>
>>43939250
Any faults of the system? Also, I noticed some books have to be bought. Did you buy any?
>>
File: kenshiro virus infects naruto.gif (783 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
kenshiro virus infects naruto.gif
783 KB, 500x279
Haven't run one, but I'd like to, or play in one.
>>
>>43938109
We used some free system called Naruto d20 which was a fucking mess and a mistake off the bat. This was back before Shippuden, when OGL was all the rage.
>>
>>43939624
Another anon in this thread loved it, so can you explain why it was a mistake?
>>
>>43940177
Everything wrong with d20 Modern, with several levels of complication added on top to manage the learning and use of jutsus, as well as an exhaustive compendium of every jutsu that had been shown, and all the ones that the designers and probably fans had made up, which were not only impossible to balance against each other, but also impossible for a GM to even become familiar with a fraction of what he'd be running into. The guy upthread mentions how the group fell apart because of self-curseing and everyone throwing Chidori's at each other. That's bad.

The rules in Naruto are made to be broken, but any Open Gaming License system it going to be bound by very strict rules, the goals are conflicting. The anon above acts like being exhaustive is a good thing, I consider it to be the opposite.
>>
>>43940439
What would you recommend instead?
>>
>>43940593
Maybe Mutants and Masterminds, which is still broken but more obvious about it, and thus, easier to fix. Or something lighter/ more narrative. Like FATE, which someone mentioned above.

I dunno, take a look at Naruto d20. If you're a fifteen year old retard like I was you'll probably have a blast with it. If you've played a bunch of different games since then you'll probably have issues.
>>
>>43940726
I'll take that into account. Thank you.
>>
File: [HELP] distorted_1.jpg (606 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
[HELP] distorted_1.jpg
606 KB, 456x628
>>43938506
>>43938522

Anon... you're tempting me to pick this up.

Please. Please tell me 1100 pages will actually be worth reading.

This might be more than I can handle.
>>
>>43941984
If you like reading the spell chapter in DnD then you'll love reading up on Naruto d20 Jutsus.
>>
I wouldn't call it successful, because we were all ages 11-14, but hey, fun was had.
>>
Wild Talents made a damn good Naruto campaign. It was fun, fast, and just as ridiculous as the show. It took quite a bit of fiddling to rename stuff and set up how the Jutsu's were balanced.

But it worked better than other clunky systems we tried.
>>
>>43938522
>1100 pages
So, it can make Madara Uchiha? And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I’m not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano’o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’sDNAimplanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu
>>
>>43944204
I'm also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyūseishu Futarime no Rikudō Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushōdō, Shuradō, Tendō, Ningendō, Jigokudō, Gakidō, Gedō, Banshō Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sōzō) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Fūton, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yōton and even Onmyōton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai(capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujō because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’sDNAand face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudōdama floating behind himAFTERhe absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudō Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kōtan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu. I’m definitelyNOTTalking about sagemode sage of the six paths Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Super Saiyan 4 Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Rinnegan, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, and Geass doujutsus, equipped with Shining Trapezohedron while casting Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as his Susanoo, controlling the Gold Experience Requiem stand, having become the original vampire after Alucard, able to tap into the speedforce, wearing the Kamen Rider Black RX suit and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’sDNAimplanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu and having eaten Popeye’s spinach.
>>
OP here.

See, we don't want shonen-level power level like in the show, but I doubt we want to be all gritty and stealthy because lots of Naruto's flare is about being flashy with the moves and such. So something in the middle between flashy and stealth/gritty. We don't have enough experience with tabletop games to really know what fits that niche.

Everyone in the group only knows about the idea. Since I came up with it, I'll do the decency of getting all the material organized for with we do go along with this. Thankfully, no one is a weeaboo, but since 2 out of 4 people doing this have no experience with tabletop games, I want to make this as fu as possible.
>>
>>43944222
I’m talking about sagemode sage of the six paths Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Legendary Super Saiyan 4 Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Rinnegan, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, and Geass doujutsus, equipped with his Shining Trapezohedron while casting Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as his Susanoo, controlling the Gold Experience Requiem stand, having become the original vampire after having absorbed Alucard as well as a God Hand, able to tap into the speedforce, wearing the Kamen Rider Black RX suit, with KryptonianDNAimplanted in him and having eaten Popeye’s spinach while possessing quantum powers like Dr. Manhattan and having mastered Hokuto Shinken.

THE ARISTOCRATS ladies and gentlemen!
Christ this copypasta gets worse every time...
>>
With a group of friends we runned a long campaign using the Exalted rules and it was awesome.
>>
>>43938434
Was it World of Five Nations?
>>
File: How I GM.jpg (25 KB, 417x675) Image search: [Google]
How I GM.jpg
25 KB, 417x675
>>43944237
>>43944222
>>43944204
What pissed me off most was when he had no eyes but still used Susanoo, which explicitly requires both eyes.
>>
>>43944237
>Hokuto Shinken

OVER THE LINE
>>
File: you are already dead.png (93 KB, 636x406) Image search: [Google]
you are already dead.png
93 KB, 636x406
>>43945439
Yeah everyone knows it was itachi that knew that.
>>
>>43944231
I'm currently running a Naruto game using Shonen Final Burst and it works quite well for the setting, though it's pretty different from most PnP. Standard playing cards instead of dice, the combat rules determine the outcome but not what actually happens and the non-combat rules are very, very bare-bones. Probably the closest you can get to it feeling like free-form without it really being free-form.
>>
File: Yeah, sorry.jpg (883 KB, 1548x1662) Image search: [Google]
Yeah, sorry.jpg
883 KB, 1548x1662
>>
>>43938109
gayer things has seldom been asked before
>>
>>43945514
Playing cards? That's a bit odd. It's interesting, but I believe the two players who aren't used to these types of games might want to experience the traditional tabletop game experience; die and all. I'll definitely look into it, thank you.

Can you tell me more about the campaign?

>>43944643
Gotcha. Thank you.
>>
>>43938109
Everyone lost interest when a fight was interrupted by someone expositing their backstory and the resulting philosophy they developed because of it for over five sessions.
>>
>>43944231
>we don't want shonen-level power level like in the show
Then you don't really want to play a Naruto game and I'd suggest you nail down your actual desire first.
>>
>>43944643
>using the Exalted rules
Dear god why?

>>43944724
Didn't decide on the nations for that one, I did make up my own villages though.
>>
>>43947848
Not him but the best part is early, around the cursed forest and especially the zabuza mission.

Everything else spirals out to ridiculous too fast
>>
>>43948126
The best part of Naruto is undoubtedly Jiraiya's infiltration of Ame. The early shit was stupid at the absolute best of times and was a giant red flag that this was going to be a story running on the incompetence of those in the know.

And none of that has anything to do with what I said, if you don't want Shounen power levels then you don't want Naruto. A fresh academy graduate could run a fucking train on normal adults for as long as their chakra holds out.
>>
File: OG Jiraiya.jpg (302 KB, 1600x1101) Image search: [Google]
OG Jiraiya.jpg
302 KB, 1600x1101
>>43948355
>>>43948126
>The best part of Naruto is undoubtedly Jiraiya's infiltration of Ame.

Agreed, best fight in the whole damn series.
>>
>>43947848
>>43948126
>>43948355
OP here.
What I meant was that I don't want to reach Kaguya or Madara level power. I'll speak for myself since I don't really have an idea of what everyone else wants. But so that the campaign can feel Naruto, it's going to need some of the flare the series has. I believe the grittier/political aspect is a gold mine and left untapped by the Kishimoto (understandably so).

I simply am not knowledgeable enough of other systems to know what best suits the Naruto universe, specifically chakra.
>>
Last week we were discussing a remake of Naruto setting. I need to make a thread later.
>>
A new good clan from that d20 game?
or from fanon?
>>
>>43950222
Yeah, I have the thread still up on my phone. I was hoping someone would make a part two to that so didn't have to make this thread, but it never came.
>>
>>43938109
No and fuck you
>>
>>43938506
>1100 pages

What the fuck
>>
>>43938506
Well, you've caught my curiosity.

A very morbid curiosity it is, but I'm going to have to read through this now.
>>
>>43940593
BESM! It's specifically meant for shit like this, and can handle most of the setting's weirdnesses without completely losing its shit.
>>
>>43938506
There

There are expansions for it. Multiple expansions. About 150 pages worth, in all

Who is making these fucking things.
>>
>>43952262
I'm seeing quite a few. Is there a specific version you're referring to?
>>
>>43947438
Actually, I think mid-fight flashbacks toexposit your angsty back story elements is a great idea if you're gonna do this properly
>>
>>43952440
>>43947438
That shit is just there because big shounen anime is deathly afraid of actually developing characters forward, so they do it retroactively instead.

It's retarded.
>>
>>43952401
2nd ed is the one I most prefer, although to be honest not a huge amount gets changed across them. I've had a lot of fun doing shonen fighting anime themed games in the past. There's an energy system in there you should be sure to enforce too
Not going to lie, balance can be an issue, but by and large you at least have to be trying to break the game to do it.
>>
>>43952563
Sounds great. Brokenness is not too much of an issue because the people I'm playing with don't play that. I'll keep things getting too out of hand, regardless.

Have you ran a Naruto campaign with this system? If so, tell me about it.
>>
>>43952491
We did a One Piece RPG once. You actually had the option to go into a flashback in the middle of a fight, and you could get a bonus for it. The more relevant and more detailed the flashback, the bigger the bonus.
>>
>>43952851
It'd probably work in that context, I was just being momentarily annoyed at the otaku fear of character development.

Only issue would be bogging things down with what would essentially be a solo segment in the middle of a group session.
>>
>>43944237
>>43944222
>>43944204
Yes, actually.
>>
>>43952377
Frankto Vinneti.

He got burnt out on Naruto, I think. Last I heard he was working on a modern hack for Pathfinder.
>>
It's anime related? Use OVA
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.