[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yu Gi Oh/card based combat rpg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1446428588790.webm (1 MB, 450x226) Image search: [Google]
1446428588790.webm
1 MB, 450x226
I'm yearning to run/play a Yu Gi Oh RPG or any other game that can replacate the retarded idea of solving conflicts with children's card games.
Does anyone know about a system that I can use for this?
Does anyone has any experience running such a thing?
>>
File: 1447199251706.gif (578 KB, 448x505) Image search: [Google]
1447199251706.gif
578 KB, 448x505
pls
>>
There's a Japanese RPG called Card Ranker that's exactly what you're asking for. Unfortunately, it's untranslated.
>>
File: 1403066854992.jpg (25 KB, 611x832) Image search: [Google]
1403066854992.jpg
25 KB, 611x832
>>43937065
dammit
>>
>>43936155
Run a normal game and make everyone own a deck or 2 made from starter decks or with a cost cap and let them play in RL as a former of combat. Bonus points for special cards gaining in-game abilities
>>
File: 51730121_p0_master1200.jpg (258 KB, 728x522) Image search: [Google]
51730121_p0_master1200.jpg
258 KB, 728x522
>>43936155
I was wondering if DOR rules would work
>>
>>43938809
>DOR rules
?
>>
>>43939211
The videogame
>>
>>43936155
FATE, if on;y to ignore the shear idiocy of the system.
>>
>>43936155
There was a /tg/-made MtG tabletop game where you played as a Planeswalker. A fun little gimmick of the system was that you used actual card from MtG as your spells and abilities and your stats determined which spells you were able to cast. It was a bit clunky and didn't get enough attention to work out the kinks, but it was pretty neat.
>>
>>43939317
And if you are interested, here is the link: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic%3A_the_Gathering_RPG
>>
>>43936155
>>43938535

We had a similiar thread a while ago, and it came down to the following:
Just ripping skillchecks from whatever game you like to run and playing the actual cardgame as combat won't cut it, as not very much people will be able to have decks as flashy as in the series. Especially since the plays won't be as flashy and the GM would need like another deck for every encounter.
>>
>>43939564
good point, a digital medium might work like dueling network, but yah that's a shit ton of work for a GM to do. Also would make sessions take forever
>>
one last bump
>>
I'm running a game like that, albeit rather a crude one because my players aren't great (read: they are bad).

Definitely recommend using duelingnetwork, I've done a few of these over the years and they worked out far better after DN came to exist. There's no obligation to own all the cards that way, no tedious looking-up of proxies. Sucks that players don't get access to duel logs because the owner of DN is a jackass, but there you go.

There is a good chance your players will get pissy if you ask them to make weak decks, players like to feel strong, so avoid that starter deck idea unless you all agree in advance that that's the best way to do it (if you have good players up for it, it totally could be). Also suggest imposing additional limitations on yourself, not using cards that are un-fun to face (Solemn Warning etc), because players getting salty over particular cards is a common risk, and that ruins the fun when it happens.

Be ready to build a ton of decks that you'll probably only use once or twice in most cases, unless you plan to severely limit the number of disposable enemies you'll be facing.

Don't have a hard system to suggest unfortunately, aside from using fate points to allow miracle draws. I do it in basically freeform but with me in heavy control of what goes on, with card games to decide conflicts.

S'all I got really, rest depends on how you plan to structure it.
>>
>>43943133
One could rule that players can unly use pauper cards and stick to a banlist.
>>
>>43943378
Well in YGO defining pauper cards is a bit weird, and doing something like that would be frustratingly limiting to players used to having relatively free reign over what they use in their decks.

Banlist, 100% necessary because of how YGO is. Pauper list just makes things unnecessarily complicated.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.