[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG: Standard General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15
File: hangarbackwalker.jpg (49 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
hangarbackwalker.jpg
49 KB, 265x370
So /tg/, what are you

>Building

>Playing

And whats the meta at your LGS like?
>>
File: 12.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>Building
My LGS has a Tiny Leaders scene so I'm building Kemba voltron deck. Kemba best 3 mana waifu.
>Playing
BU Aristocrats, pure fun.

We have a pretty small and casual LGS, we have 2 Jeskai players and 2 Abzan players. Everyone else is unique and we get ~12 players at FNM so it's pretty fun. Last FNM was won by Hardened Scales player.
>>
Thinking about building R/B Eldrazi Aggro after Khans rotates. I know that's in the future and we still have to see that Oath gives us, but it looks very solid without using any Khans cards outside of fetches.
>>
>building
Mono Blue mill (?)
tell me what yall think

Creature (21)
4x Benthic Infiltrator
2x Guardian of Tazeem
3x Mist Intruder
2x Murk Strider
1x Ruin Processor
3x Ruination Guide
3x Salvage Drone
2x Silumgar Sorcerer
1x Void Winnower
Instant (12)
2x Calculated Dismissal
2x Disperse
2x Horribly Awry
2x Negate
4x Spell Shrivel
Enchantment (5)
2x Illusory Gains
3x Sphinx's Tutelage
Sorcery (2)
2x Dreadwaters
Land (20)
20x Island
>>
>>43935987
I play atarka red and have like 3 or 4 decks I tinker/build with. I have a B/W allies deck that uses march and rally and the husk/haruspex setup, a UB eldrazi processor deck that runs mostly control elements, some janky 5 color BtL deck that I can never decide on a core for, and a U/W awaken deck that I sometimes change around into an enchantment deck that uses sigil of the empty throne.

My LGS has like 3 mardu players, 2 esper players, a GW goodstuffs player, and 1-2 abzan players, and someone running esper tokens and another running monowhite tokens but is going B/W tokens soon.
>>
>>43935987
>>Building
nothing

>>Playing
4c landfall aggro

>And whats the meta at your LGS like?
abzan, jeskai, ramp (eldrazi and u/g turns) and atarka red
>>
File: a3ZxOqc.jpg (175 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
a3ZxOqc.jpg
175 KB, 500x380
Building: Nothing

Playing: Mono-white Aggro

LGS: the worst! Game store owner was worried about loosing long time players due to poor cards in this set, so he opened FNM up to Theros block as well. This is working out quite well for the older players, but has shot everyone who joined in the last year right in the foot. That might not sound too terribly bad, except that the store has only been open for eight months.
>>
>>43940587
Your lgs owner is a god damn retard, and his "long time customers" will have to learn that standard rotation happens and denying it will only make it sting more. He should be pushing modern / legacy / edh instead.

Also Theros a shit.
>>
>>43940877
bfz a bigest shit
>>
File: forced laughter.jpg (13 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
forced laughter.jpg
13 KB, 500x281
>>43935987
>He plays Standard
>>
>>43935987
>playing
Esper dragons
>brewing
Grixis tutelage
My meta is composed by the freaking rich netdeckers:2 jeskai black, 3 abzan, 1 gw megamorph, 1 mono white, 1 atarka red, 1 bw warriors and 1 Mardu dragons
>>
>>43939274
I think you should include some monastery siege to help with the tutelage triggers
>>
>>43941333
I'm building for post rotation at the moment, otherwise siege would defo be in
>>
http://deckstats.net/deck-8440903-3009e556c7327eae504b8d23e8740267.html First time building a standard anything, thoughts?
>>
>Building
Naya Allies a la gideon

>Playing
U/B eldrazi and U/B control

No idea what the meta is at my LGS I have a semi good group except for this brendan fraser looking douche who insists on metagaming with any deck he plays and complains that me and this other guy don't netdeck. Sorry I like making my own decks
>>
>>43935987
Friend of mine is trying to build a standard milling deck around sphinx's tutelage. Are there any particular must-have cards for that kind of deck? At the moment he gets completely destroyed by my aggro deck and I want to give him a hand to make it better. And yes he has his mind set on milling for some reason.

Also can someone explain rotation briefly to a new player? From what I've gathered, the old set gets kicked out when the new set comes yes? So in this case Khans will rotate out at the same time as Oath comes in, or is it a time based thing (ie. rotates after 12 months or whatever)?
>>
>>43941648
see
>>43939274
>>
>>43941648
Standard rotation used to be the two most current blocks and the core set(for example m15 was the core set and Theros and Tarkir were the most current blocks) with the release of origins they aren't doing core sets anymore and blocks will be reduced to 2 sets instead of 3. What it means when OGW is out I have no idea, someone smarter than I will clarify on it
>>
Building: W/B Warriors with a blue sideboard (from the Channel Fireball deck of the day)
Playing: Crushing Nerds with B/G Cutthroat on Modo.

I seem to have misplaced my second Ally of Zendikar for the warriors list. Any ideas for a last minute replacement?
>>
>>43941648
Read this
http://mtggrind.com/2014/08/25/initial-reactions-new-block-structure-and-rotation-schedule/
>>
>>43941756
Nothign will rotate out now with ogw. When the next edition comes out, khans and fate will drop.
>>
>>43941395
Rotation is only in March... you should live in the present :)
>>
>>43940587
>LGS: the worst! Game store owner was worried about loosing long time players due to poor cards in this set, so he opened FNM up to Theros block as well.
That's fucking disgusting. Could you imagine G/R devotion nykthos ramp with Ulamog as a finisher?
>>
>>43941787
Another Sorin, Stasis Snare, Complete Disregard, or maybe an Arashin Foremost.

Foremost is still a good card against any non-red deck.
>>
>>43935987
Waiting for Innistrad. I sold my Standard deck and used that money for modern. I liked this standard but it is too expensive and I'd rather have my money in cards that have a better chance of holding value
>>
>>43940953
If you can't play according to the rotation, you're the shit friend.
>>
>>43940953
I was playing Abzan control before rotation and I lost a lot but I still think standard is awesome at the moment.
>>
File: aylieternalpilgrim.jpg (37 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
aylieternalpilgrim.jpg
37 KB, 265x370
>>43944850
What do you think of pic related in an abzan shell. Keep saccing any creature that's targeted or going to die and gain life? Not to mention a 2/3 with DT? Seems good imo.
>>
>>43944966
Meant to ask to the thread not specifically that anon
>>
>>43944966
The card is good, but it can't selfsacrifice, maybe it sees some play.
>>
>>43945014
To me you take out 3-4 hangarback/heir of the wilds in the typical Abzan deck. People are already running Heir as their 2 drop I feel this card is almost strictly better
>>
>>43945147
Yeah, but it's legendary, so maybe 4 of is too much. Also, bw mana curve on turn 2 might not be that consistent
>>
>>43945308
True but so is Anafenza. I guess it would be a bit tricky to make it consistent but perhaps with a bit of adjustment to mana idk
>>
>>43945014
They've given BW lifegain a lot of good tools recently, I'm convinced lifegain decks might actually make tier 1.5 or higher after the next rotation
>>
>>43941648
For a good tutelage, you can build around good ones existing, like Cuneo or Majors did.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=10214&d=258631&f=ST
I played it at the France WMCQ and I did 5-3 with few changes : Jaces in side, Alchemist's Vial main deck, +1 whelming wave, +1 monastery siege and no Alhammarret's Archive.
I did not played it seriously after BFZ, but there were some "obvious" replacement like radiant flames on anger of the gods and Displacement Wave instead of whelming wave.
I played against some friends and it was obvious that it wasnt as good as before, even with Dispel to protect us against Dromoka Commands.
I suggest to play UB or Esper Control with Tutelage in it if you REALLY want to mill your opponent.

>playing
Esper Control, my own list close to Blohon one on GP Brussels.
As the field around my town is very control, I think I will put in side 2 Tutelage and 1 Ulamog. What do you guys think ?
>>
>>43936511
Kemba is nice but not very techy
you know what 3-mana waifu is nice and techy?
Alesha
Alesha and her crew of legendary <4-drops go to the mall to get new shoes
and bought swords
>>
>>43947113
Naya/Jund company with Alesha when?
>>
>>43947111
I don't think tutelage is what you want against a heavy control field. They'll get to delve whenever they want, have a better idea of what they'll pull from their digs, and you're turning Jace's second hand into an open library.

Mastery of the unseen is a better source of free-ish pressure imo, but an Ulamog sounds nice.
>>
>>43947167
i'd say Jund personally
what does white offer in this standard that isn't better served by black?
>>
>>43948220
Thanks for the answer.
Against a control field, I saw on scg.com that some players put painful truths and ob nixilis to have better chances on mirror matches.
What do you guys think about it ?
And what about splashing green for Dragonlord Dromoka ? Or maybe it is too much, idk.
>>
>>43941920
and it's only a dollar, there is no reason to not pick up a playset. I would if I were building around Tutelage.

>buildan
Nothing. I pick a shitty standard deck and run with it as hard as I can for as long as I can.
>playan
Zada Arcbond. Running a critical mass of lifelink creatures means that Arcbond isn't a dead card. There are difficulties in that if they have instant speed removal or a sac outlet they can prevent any combat damage, and I'm not always entirely sure the outcome of slapping an arcbond on zada.
>>
>Building
None
>Playing
G/R Eldrazi ramp
And whats the meta at your LGS like?
A lot of abzan, and Jeskai Black. Some Atarka Red. Most of the time Ramp beats both jeskai black and abzan mid range. Biggest problems are the aggro decks. If I don't have ugin or radiant flame it's pretty much a guaranteed loss
>>
>>43940587

If he's registering the tourneys as Standard and allowing non-Standard legal cards I'm pretty sure WotC is gonna shit a brick if they find out.
>>
>>43944785

My standard dropping brother. Same here.
>>
File: 1409101404023.jpg (634 KB, 960x1299) Image search: [Google]
1409101404023.jpg
634 KB, 960x1299
Any hints/tips for a first time draft player?
>>
>>43949607
All three cards mentioned are good cards for a control field.

Self-Inflicted wound is coming back due to the resurgences of Abzan and Ojutai, you may want to hold off on Dromoka as its answers are waxing.
>>
>>43945308
>inconsistent mana
>this standard

ha ha ha oh wow
>>
>>43950488
Good point, thanks !
>>
>>43950429

Dont play for bombs unless you pull something like from beyond in your first packs. Play for synergy, check your curve, dont play too many colours, or cards that require double colors (example stasis snare) if you are tri-colored.
>>
>>43944785
good move anon

never EVER take part in a standard format where decks are $800

Standard decks should be $200-$300 AT MOST and anything higher is just bullshit that no one should do
>>
>>43951650
You can brew your own for $200-300, especially low to the ground aggro decks. If you must netdeck, Big Red is cheap and good right now.

Spend a while tuning just about anything and you can make it work in Standard.
>>
>>43951650
i can beat jeskai black most of the time with G/R Ramp.
>>
>>43935987
>building
actually nothing at the moment, just some kitchen table. i'm a fairly new player still, my first deck was RB minotaurs. think kragma warcaller/ragemonger.

>playing
Jund Dragons. it's built around Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, just splashing green to hit Atarka World Render. early game is shit like Draconic Roar and Kol's cmnd to keep their pants on before i start damage racing. when i start damage racing though you'd better have flying also yeah rakdos is my favourite colours did you guess

>meta
bits and pieces, it's australian and real small time so nothing major. standouts are Mardu Removal (seriously it's 90% crackling dooms), WU control, sultai goodstuff (not that good desu) and an Atarka Red. I love the last matchup because all it needs to shut it down is a kill spell in response to their become immense. i do have a bad time against net decked Jesper though.
>>
>>43949787
shit a brick
hahahahahahhahhahahhahaaha
>>
>>43935987

>Building

U/R Thopter Spynetwork with Goggles. Hopin some decent shit printed in next set or it's just a pipedream.

>Playing

Dark Jeskai Super Friends

>Local Meta
Little bit of everything from Esper Control to like Eldrazi brews. Esper is probably most dominant though, think we got 4 or 5 dudes playing it.
>>
>Oath designed to be more friendly towards Two Headed Giant
>Kozilek, the Great Distortion leaked mid-November
>This scan from the Zendikar artbook pops up online yesterday

Something tells me we're getting another prerelease event with alt art cards similar to the Ugin's Fate thing.
>>
>>43952965
i like it lad

>>43952810
>U/R Thopter Spynetwork with Goggles
i thought the izzet artifacts from origins was a fad, desu i don't think Oath will have much for artifacts, unless devoid floats your boat. for my lgs that deck died when Scissors/Darksteel rotated out. that's gotta be my favourite part of Theros dying, not being hit by indestructible 5/5s all the fucking time, or flying 5/5 thopter turn 2

What are your plans to make it work?
>>
>>43953024

I had it build running like a dream before rotation with darksteel citadel. You basically just keep the board clear with counterspells and burn until you had goggles into play to shrapnel blast for 10 or have enough 1/1 fliers from network to overrun them. Using I had used the creatures before, but they're super underwhelming and just got shat on by everything in the format. I'm hoping to get a darksteel citadel reprint and some burn that isn't shit and I'll make it again. It also had Jace in it, which I moved to the superfriends list.

One of my favorite memories of the deck was some dude playing abzan and slammed a rhino then wingmate roc with raid. Only to be followed with a goggles activation of anger of the gods. Hadn't seen that much salt in a while.
>>
>>43935987
>building
waiting for KTK/FTR to rotate before I brew anything new

>playing
modified event deck. CoCo + lots of fodder for nantuko husk and a set of cutthroats. also some smother abominations and tasigurs for fattie beaters. it's what I use when someone asks to play standard and also what I use for kitchen table players to kind of gauge their deck's power level.
>>
>>43953154
Don't hold your breath for another darksteel citadel reprint. now that there aren't any more core sets I have no idea how they're going to reprint plane specific cards without revisiting that plane. the likely answer is that they're just not going to.
>>
so i've read the uncharted Realms.

and I have no idea how the hero's can win.

for those of you who didn't know/read it, they imprisoned Ulamog in the Hedron Network, for about 30 seconds.

Ob Nixxy fly's overhead, uses Lithomancy he learned over millennia , and a small hedron, to "hijack" the network and use it to Re-ignite his spark.

then, while he's full of mana, he shuts down the prison, then he calls out to Kozi and Kozi literally tunnels out of the ground a few hundred yards away, turning the ground into Bismuth along the way.

mind you, that was their win condition, with the prep-time to do it, now they have a broken army, no where to run to, and two titans coming at them from literally a hairs breath away.

yet this set ends in.. Victory? how? Gideon is going to have to really give a fucking Kamina speech or some shit, someone is going to have to do something overpowered or something.
>>
>>43954005
are you five?

have you never read a fiction book before?

>>43953444
coco pops and fatties don't play well together. inevitably you're going to get a mix like land-instant-abomination-land-land-tasigur
and you will have only done it to yourself.
>>
I haven't played Standard for a long time, but tonight I'm screwing around with it on cockatrice with a friend. What deck should I make?
>>
File: 1444793553964.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1444793553964.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
>>43955681
>>
>>43935987
>Building
Nothing

>Playing
Abzan Aggro
>>
>>43944966
Seems like more of card for Rally rather than the Abzan midrange decks, easy to send creatures to the yard and get extra value out of Sidisi's Faithful.
>>
>>43955460
there is no Deus Ex Machina, they literally already used it, and it failed due to Demon Planeswalker Ob-to-the-Nix.

2 Titans should now be unstoppable, everything we have been told about the Titans has painted them to be beyond conflict.

even the Titans you see on Zendikar are just an "extension" of their true power/form from the Blind Eternties.

Ulamog is just a finger of Real-Ulamog.

how do you kill something like that?
>>
File: 1443569422612.png (15 KB, 278x510) Image search: [Google]
1443569422612.png
15 KB, 278x510
I'M ANOUT TO BUY A FAT PACK
WHICH FAT PACK DO I SELECT
THANKS
>>
>>43955991
it will be in both, in Abzan its a 2/3 deathtoucher with other value abilites that might do something.

that is literally enough, motherfuckers are playing Snapping Gnarlid they are so thirsty for two drops.
>>
>>43956555
Origins

nothing to get in BFZ but Gideon.
>>
>>43956594
Just traded my lone Gideon. What about dragons? The rares seemed to have spiked pretty nicely
>>
>>43956571

The best 2drop is jace tho
>>
>>43956545
>Deus Ex Machina
not mentioned by anybody. stop the memes and think. moreover, the hedron network is hardly a deus ex machina, it's been there since original zen, and it's what nahiri & friends used in the first place.

>how do you kill something like that?
really we should all listen to that fag ugin, he seems like the smartest dick in the box. seems killing them ain't the way to go.

don't panic about the story, see what happens. if zendikar is fucked then it's fucked, bad luck see you on the next plane. if not, congrats to the oathbuddies, you go tiger.

>>43956555
BFZ if you want full art lands. i'm a fan of DTK but i'm a fag.

>>43956668
not everyone can play blue ok
>>
I sold my 2 Jace for $170 (dollarydoos)
How badly have I minced it?
>>
>>43956777
>$85 apiece
for a card that's currently $75, you done good kid. really it's the buyer that is the pie chef here, even if he was desperate it's probably cheaper in other places.
assuming USD though
>>
>>43956777
that is almost exactly what they are worth.

unless they were foil.

actually you got MORE money than 2 jaces are worth.
>>
File: 1421953701989.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1421953701989.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>Tfw playing against Esper dragons with Abzan is such a disheartening experience

It feels like they have all the answers at all times.
>>
>>43956571
Heir of the Wilds still seems better, it's easier to cast and can reliably become a 3/3 on turn 3.
>>
>>43944785

>Selling your standard deck and going into Modern

But anon why would you sell all your fetches if you're going into Modern?
>>
>>43956864
$170 AUD man. Just took that offer as I have no intention of playing Jace in standard. Just saw a few Legacy lists with him included though so I freaked out a bit.
>>43956869
Yeah, non foil pham
>>
>>43956777

Jaces are starting to see drops so you may be ahead of the curve there. He should stabilize to around maybe $55 at the lowest in several months.
>>
>>43956777
>>43956864

>dollarydoos
>assuming USD

Literal Flanders dollars
>>
>>43957111
But Anon, Flanders uses euros.
>>
>>43957024
warden of the first tree

it's a 1 drop 3/3 that is attacking on turn 2, AND it's in Abzan colours. gimmicky as hell though.
>>
>>43956999
YOU wanted to sleeve up midrange against control (with dragons!) guess what mister Rhino, you best star belivin in countered decks, YOUR PLAYIN ONE.
>>
>>43956999
now you know how most aggro players feel playing agianst you.

heck I play "Abzan Rally" (its about as Abzan as a fucking hole in the ground) and your deck counters mine accidentally with Anafenza.

I have to remind each of you braindead rhino-lovers that she does the thing that stops my deck, and you always go "oh I don't read the cards"
>>
>>43956668
Are you saying that not everyone has the required skill? or are you saying that not every deck can run blue? Because both of those statements are wrong. there are fetchlands + tangolands, every deck can pretty much run every color if they really want to.
>>
>>43957463
meant for
>>43956734
>>
>>43957412
I know full well that it's a bad matchup, it's just a really disheartening experience where you reach a certain stage in the game where it's impossible for you to win.

>>43957460
Abzan players get a bad press. Sure, there's not much strategy to turning four lands sideways and slamming a Rhino, but playing the deck optimally requires just as much skill as any other deck.
>>
>>43957591
no it doesn't, it curves out on creatures and then you play removal and more creatures.

its so braindead that all the pro's are tired of it, the viewers are tired of watching it, and people are tired of playing against it, even with the advantage.

they get a "bad press" because any idiot can play abzan, and idiots know they can play it and flock to it.

if I handed my Rally deck to an abzan player at my store he'd shit himself with the decisions he'd have to make.
>>
>>43957770
cont'd.

he'd also shit himself with all the triggers he'd miss and expect me to let him get them back.

seriously i've done it, so I know, they play abzan since khans for a reason, complexity is beyond them.
>>
>>43957770
Abzan is hardly the only deck that plays creatures and removal though. Like I said, it's easy for brain dead players to pick up and do okay with but playing the deck at the top level requires just as much as any other deck. "Complex" decks like Rally might require more practice to learn exactly what it is you're trying to do with the deck, but playing the deck at the highest level requires no more skill than a run-of-the-mill Abzan deck.
>>
>>43957870
except it literally does.

when I cast rally, literally 20 some odd triggers can go on the stack, and I have to decide, right now, how they resolve, and if I fuck up, I lose.

there is NO fucking comparison, you play a creature a turn and then you play removal spells.

there isn't any fucking complexity, you either have the removal spell or you don't.

Brad Nelson, all of the, complain that Abzan is binary as fuck and creates a "brain drained" player, as there is very little "choosing" in the deck, you simply play it, and if it isn't enough you lose
>>
>>43957938
As I've said before, Abzan is a good "pick up and play" deck but eking out the small advantages takes as much practice as you'd need to master any other deck, just as how you need to practice sequencing your triggers when a Rally resolves.
>>
>>43958043
there is no "practicing" each rally requires an entirely different setup solely based on my current situation and opponent.

it isn't "remembering which creature to dromoka's command" like you have to deal with.

playing abzan is simply playing the highest value creatures and removal spells and then wondering why people eyeroll at your victories.

there isn't any grand strategy in making your rhino fight my "thing" and then attacking, or playing Gideon and "doing anything with Gideon"

"oh i'm playing against aggro, i'll clog the board with so many creatures until I can oneshot him or remove everything he plays" isn't strategy as so much as simply grinding your opponent down until he's got nothing left.
>>
>>43957463
not every deck *should* run blue

what if i want to play monocolour?
>>
>>43958161
in this format? why ?
>>
>>43958088
*grinds you down*
>>
>>43958161
Then you splash for Ojutai's command
>>
>>43958088
I'm not saying that Rally is a difficult deck to learn (although the suggestion that you can't practice playing the deck is ridiculous). What I am saying is that when played at the highest level, a deck like Abzan will require just as much thought and decision making from the pilot as any other standard deck.

It's exactly the same as when people complain about mono red being an easy deck to play, but clearly that isn't the case at the highest level.
>>
>>43958291
except your retarded, not all decks are "equally hard to pilot" and the pros themselves go into detail about this.

they have agreed, almost uniamously, that Abzan is braindead and pretty awful for the game.

and Mono-red (or now, Atarka red) is incredibly hard to play compared to what people suggest, as you have to play against shit like Abzan or whatever was that format's Abzan all the fucking time, where you play one too many creatures or one too few and you lose.

its a constant numbers game you are setup to lose.

and, seriously, you don't know what you are talking about with Rally, you can practice the deck.

but resolving the triggers is entirely situational for the boardstate, the life totals and your opponent and what they are capable of.

I have more going on, with one resolved Rally the Ancestors, than an Abzan's entire FNM night.
>>
>>43958291
*I'm not saying that Rally ISN'T a difficult deck to learn
>>
>>43958291
not him, but i think he's talking about a local level, not high level pro tournaments where every move is high pressure

not highest level here
>>
>>43958417
even then, Abzan only has so many options, you have removal spells and you have creatures and you have planeswalkers.

there are only so many combinations of hands and mana curves, they deck has been designed to this point that almost every turn till turn 5 you are playing a spell on the curve, most of the time.

the major choices is "what to remove" and "how much to attack with" and its all situational from there, but the plays are almost always obvious, remove the best card, attack with the best creatures.
>>
>Building
Nothing in particular. Thinking of building a budget BG crats.

>Playing
Grixis dragons control. Light on the red, heavy on the blue and black with a stockpile of removals to stall the game while I go for the kill with Silumgar DD + dashing Kolaghan. Been pretty fun so far, and I eat aggro decks that isn't Atarka red and most midrange alive most of the time.
>>
>>43958378
I'm going to need a source on all the pros saying that Abzan is brain dead and bad for the format.

As for practicing with Rally, you said that "there is no "practicing" each rally requires an entirely different setup solely based on my current situation and opponent". It's almost like you need to play the deck a lot to develop the experience to inform when you need to Rally and what order you sequence your triggers in. Just like how an Atarka red deck needs to practice in order to know the best time to combo off (if it needs to combo off at all) or how an Abzan player needs to learn how much pressure to put on the board in a given scenario.

All of the above requires a similar degree of thought, which can be informed by experience. Choosing to play a synergy-heavy deck does not mean that people who choose to play a deck based on individual creature power are stupid.
>>
>>43958473
are you trying to bamboozle me

from that point of view, 66% of the decks you see are simple, with no major choices. what you have just described is the basics of creature-based mtg and in this decade creatures are a big part of magic.

>>43958516
>budget BG crats.
shipping crates packed with rats, amirite?

>grixis dragons
i like the cut of your jib
the key with defeating Atarka Red is to hold your removal until they pop Become Immense, then cut their feet off with it. let them beat on you in the early game, a deck like yours is strong late. If that still dun work, try Ultimate Price as a board option.
>>
>>43958521
I have that experience, it doesn't mean that you can phone it in.

for every situation you resolve the triggers differently, for instance, just with one creature, let me tell you the choices you have.

after rallying I get back a swath of creatures, one is Sultai Emmisary, here are my choices.

I can Sac' Sultai Emmisary and then choose to, scry twice, draw twice, or manifest the emmisary.

I can't choose each one inbetween, I have to choose all the triggers first,so I can't just "scry, choose, scry choose"

I have to declare "Scry, draw, manifest, scry, draw" and it has to be the right play or I can lose the game.

just like that.

and that is one creature.
>>
>>43958595
yes we know, you're a big man with real tough choices to make
get over yourself and accept that different decks have different complexities. yes, rally has some decisions in it. no, you are not king of trouble town, master decision maker.

other decks have decisions too. just because someone is playing abzan textbook doesn't mean they are a complete zombie

t. love from a non-abzan player
>>
>>43958687
you aren't convincing me with an actual arguement how "complex" Abzan's play options actually are.

which means you probably don't actually think they have anything complex and your just arguing to be a contrarian faggot.
>>
>>43958565
BG aristocrats, actually. Pardon my language.

Although rat deck would be my first choice if it's available in standard.

Also, that's what I've been trying to do against them. I have 3 Ultimate Price in sideboard just to deal with anything remotely like Atarka red, and I play Radiant Flames maindeck just to be safe. Fast aggros make me depressed, even if I know can deal with them.
>>
>>43958720
>your just arguing to be a contrarian faggot
you caught me
5 points to hufflepuff
>>
I'm building abzan for GP Oakland all I need now are 2 more gideon and I'll be set

I don't know if I should go pure abzan for shambling vents or abzan blue for dispels etc.
>>
>>43958872
i don't play abzan but does playing shambling vent win you the game? (I really have no idea)
Or is it dispel, disdainful stroke that could be the turning point?
>>
>>43958720

>abzan
>complex

Chose one :)
>>
File: Chandra.png (139 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Chandra.png
139 KB, 223x311
Is she standard viable?
>>
>>43961198
it's more complex than atarka red or the mono red deck that everyone was playing before rotation and it's just as complex as a creature based aggro deck in rectangle cardboard warriors game can get. People are just bootyblasted it has the best creatures in the meta right now, but it isn't even the best deck, just popular because it's reasonably cheap and won the protour.
>>
>>43958595
Did you just start an argument as an excuse to masturbate yourself? You remind of those guys on MTGO with their 800$ standard decks that get pissy when I crush them with my red/green pile.
>>
>>43961399
yes in mono red aggro. Not a 4of, but definitely playable, especially if you aren't that creature heavy and just dump a shitton of burn.
>>
>>43961399
>gets knocked over by 1/1 eldrazi
>doesn't incinerate them straight away
chandra's a tool
>>
Fuck Hangarback Walker
>>
How would this deck go against my local scene, which mostly consists of Abzan aggro and Jeskai Black

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zadas-zoo-deck-45-turn-5-win-rollover-ready/
>>
>>43961781
walkers need to + themselves or cast a spell. Shes not a creature anymore anon, shes a fully developed and mature walker.
>>
I'm trying to get a grip of standard having been away since Theros/RtR, and started watching some Opens a GPs to get a grip of the format. But it's so hard to wrap my head around with all the multiple-choice commands and charms and flip-walkers and stuff. Hell, in many ways it feels like Legacy is a simpler format to grasp than current Standard.
>>
File: dedede4.png (177 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dedede4.png
177 KB, 500x375
>>43961801
nice lad i can live with this

>>43961827
because you're familiar with that format, and not with the new cards. most of them are easy to comprehend once you see them once or twice
>>
File: FB_IMG_1447775323241.jpg (19 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447775323241.jpg
19 KB, 500x281
HOW MANY BOXES DOES TG BUY UPON RELEASE?
>>
>>43961952
1 box, a bunch of fat packs since there's full-arts in them again and you can resell full art land packs here for at least 20 yuros apiece.
>>
Who has the worst BO, pokemon players, ygo or mtg?
>>
>>43951650
Standards like this exist because Wizards reprints for eternal formats. Blame fetchlands.
>>
>>43952482
>a kill spell in response to their become immense
One, your Atarka Red players are terrible. Two, God I miss God's Willing.
>>
What prizes does your lgs give for drafting?
>>
>>43958521
>the best time to combo off with Atarka Red
Turn 3 on the play.
Swiftspear > Abbot > Upkeep Titan's Strength follow-up Temur Battle Rage.
>>
>>43961969
>>43961952
When's the next release?
>>
>>43962140
>God's Willing
>one mana fuckoff spell with helpful rider
worst kind of combat trick
>>
>>43935987

>Playing

Rakdos dragons.

>Building
I'm splashing white into my RB Dragons for Soulfire Grand Master, Monastery Mentor, Silkwrap (Replacing Complete Disregrard), Crackling Doom (Replacing Foul-Tongued Invocation).
>>
>>43935987
Should I just skip Standard till Innistrad rolls in?
>>
>>43963212
Probably, mostly because the most powerful set rotates out there. I wouldn't have too high hopes for innistrad, it won't be the original innistrad, just like bfz wasn't the original zendikar.
>>
File: Avacyn, Angel of Hope.jpg (86 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Avacyn, Angel of Hope.jpg
86 KB, 312x445
>>43963329
>Possible alternate version of mai waifu

Pls WotC
>>
>>43961399
She's actually really good in atarka red. People just don't use her maindeck because they don't like her lack of speed that the rest of the deck has. She's really easy to trigger turn 4 when your deck is filled with one and two drops. Anyone that knows her capability will deal with it immediately, especially when it's in a fast aggro shell like atarka red which can already get your opponent down to 14 life on turn two with relative ease. Turn 4 she'll deal 5 damage not counting the spells you use to untap her. If you actually ever get to flip her, she puts a fast clock on your opponent or at the very least draw out your opponent to answer it rather than that the fucking goblin token you want to combo out with.
>>
>>43964122
I've just put one in my mono red. Considering trying Atarka, but I'm new so I'll get the hang of this first. Would you say it's a good idea to not play Chandra unless it's possible to flip her on the same turn?
>>
>>43964212
There's no way you can being that she can't tap the turn she's summoned. If I have an aggressive start, but not a game ending one, I'd wait until after alpha strike to play her after your opponent plays their removal. Or do the reverse and use her to draw out the removal. If the board is clear, you can also attack with her, play a spell, untap then ping and transform.
>>
>>43964293
Oh true. I thought you could untap her first turn when you play red. You've shaken up my tabletop meta. Thanks for the help friend.
>>
>>43964417
If she was somehow tapped by external means, then yes, playing a red spell would untap her, but attacking and using her tap ability can't be done on the turn she is summoned unless you somehow give her haste.
>>
>>43964417
you do uptap her whenever you play a red spell. You can't tap her the first turn due to summonning sickness
>>
File: IMG_20151203_120928209.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151203_120928209.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
Average mtg player here. Why do these lands so expensive?
>>
>>43965064
they can be fetched by fetchlands.

I think you're not really an average player
>>
>>43965064
haha you fucking MAROOn how do u even frieakng BREATHE with a brain head so TINY loOOOL haeheahahah isnt it obvious just LOOK at it it's so fucking POWERFUl how can u even beat turn 1 tapped guildgate i mean sry battleland pass the turn gG G FUCKING G GAME OVER WOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>43965105
Fine, below average then. I've only really been playing since scars and mostly modern because I liked that block.
>>
>>43965150
they can be fetched by fetchlands so that every deck can be every color
>>
>>43965064
between 2 and 3€ each ... you can't call that expensive. Playing fetches with them might be expensive though.
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.