[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Century Z - A DBZ system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
After a lengthy playtest, (which was pretty much a whole campaign) we feel the system is finally ready to be shown to a wider audience.

DCZ is a Dragon Ball Z-themed system based very loosely on Battle Century G. The idea was to create simple, fun battle mechanics that would emulate the fights of DBZ, but also maintain a fast pace, without excess crunch.

Though we initially started out on the system with just our campaign in mind, we feel it would be a waste not to share it with others. We had our fun, made mistakes, learned from them, and applied fixes where necessary. Now, we'd like to ask you for your input.
>>
>>43934099
seems interesting, i'll have a look. how'd your game work out?
>>
>>43934662
Combat rounds were resolved quickly most of the time, RP worked out decently enough for the most part. I say for the most part because one player almost seemed to go out of his way to "unintentionally" find major exploits in the way rules were worded to make certain combinations unbeatably broken. I've got a graveyard of at least 5 major version revisions.

Barring that, the game went incredibly smoothly. Though the rules are very barebones so if you're the GM, you kind of have to just get creative with how you stat things sometimes.
>>
>>43934662
>>43934790
What he said. Ultimately, that player helped us polish the rules further, so it was a win either way.
>>
File: BabidiDBZ.png (319 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BabidiDBZ.png
319 KB, 640x480
>>43934099
looks neat. given it a once over, currently on my proper read through. seems like a nice, short, casual-fun thing good for the feel of the show.

kind of thing i might run as a one shot to see if the series fits my group.
>>
>>43934853
>for the feel of the show

Thank you, that is exactly what I was going for.

For reference, as far as XP goes, it seems a scale that tops at 1000 is where you'd want your players to be if you were doing some Battle of Gods or Resurrection F shit. Or fighting Uchiha Madara.
>>
>>43934099
>>43934853

question: on the page 5 table for effects of difference in power level, its rather unclear if the effects on the table are granted in favor of the higher or lower powered character.
>>
>>43934991
The one with the higher PL gains the bonuses, while the lower receives penalties. It's pretty self-explanatory, but we can edit the wording to avoid confusion.
>>
>>43935025
its okay. thanks for clarifying. i mostly inferred that was the way things go, but ive seen too many homebrew/houserules where people try to adjust for differences of power because they're afraid of imbalance, so i didn't want to assume.

especially since DBZ is BUILT on imbalance.

incidentally i just peeked at that spoiler up there and gagged a bit. as a reformed former edgelord teen fan of that particular... thing... i just need to keep that shit far away from my DBZ.
>>
>>43935114
>especially since DBZ is BUILT on imbalance

Exactly. The original creator of the system was going for a recreation of the show, and I went for maintaining that when I took over and rewrote the book while GM'ing the playtest.

The way the power level mechanic is intended to work is to allow for a strong single target to still pose a considerable threat to the group of PCs or to help your hand in guiding the plot along. This is especially important because the stat scale is rather small and odds are the difference in stats between most characters won't be very large.
>>
been through a couple times. did a ctrl+f. i don't see any explanation for the terms advantage or disadvantage. ie "gain and advantage on all rolls"

is this a die-altering mechanic from the original game?
>>
>>43935344
Oh, yes. An advantage for a 1d10 roll basically means rolling 2d10 and picking the better result. The opposite for a disadvantage. That's another thing to add.
>>
>>43935421
okay, so similar to the 5e thing. i gotcha. and it actually feels like it fits in a dbz game.
>>
>>43935114
>>43935344
>>43935485
Please do continue, I've already made the mentioned edits.
>>
>>43935787
if anything i ask about is something in the book that i simply missed, feel free to lambaste me with no end.

1. i assume that what "level"/tier whatever the players are on from that 1-5 scale continues to be arbitrary from the gm after character creation?

2. when calculating power level, you add the stats, then multiply by tier/level multiplier, then by any bonus multipliers from transformations, zenkai, and power ups etc?

3. >Maybe Doctor Gero had a sexbot
cool character concept. Ive always wanted to RP as android 19.
>>
>>43936020
1. Yeah, the tier list is totally arbitrary and just a way for the GM to determine who's who in terms of raw strength before any other modifier.

2. Add stats, multiply by tier, then passive modifiers like Unlock Potential or Zenkai are put together additively (Zenkai Boost + Full Power Super Saiyan would be something like 12 if your Zenkai Boost were a *2), then that is multiplied by any active modifiers like states which are also combined additively (so Super Saiyan+Kaioken*20 is 45).

Base stats * Level Modifier * Passive Modifiers * Active Modifiers.

3. That was one of our characters in the playtest. She was based on Stocking and was absolutely hilarious.

That way you can end up with numbers up in the billions like they seem to love to imply.
>>
>>43936020
I can post a few of the character sheets from the campaign to give you a better idea of how one looks, if you want.
>>
>>43934099
ANOTHER DBZ system?
>>
>>43936195
People want DBZ and there's no official system for it. So we home brew.
>>
>>43936182
please do.

>>43936195
yeah. for a total of 2. unless you're the only person other than me who still has a morbid love/fascination with the R.Tal fuzion game.

besides you can never have enough. i have like 3 or 4 ways to play transformers scattered somewhere around my hard drive.
>>
>>43936195
The earliest draft of our system is from around the beginning of this year. For a good while, we were unaware another homebrew on /tg/ even existed.
>>
>>43936277
It's getting good, still a few issues here and there. But the design doc has some great solutions (and some shitty ones), so here's hoping the devs pick them up for the next version.
>>
>>43936195
The two games as far as I can see have different aims and approaches.

>>43936255
I've made some edits to reflect those issues and make things a little bit clearer. I'll export and post a new version within a few hours.
>>
>>43936255
Here's one: http://pastebin.com/5mgN72jV
Features some traits not listed in the book, but they're mostly just BoG-tier multipliers.
>>
>>43936460
Oops, pastebin removed some of the formatting. The states part should look like this:

- Super Saiyan God (x120)
------- Skill Focus (30)

We added a single trait slot for SSJG, which none of the earlier Super Saiyan states have.
>>
>>43934099
It says Spirit is used to dodge ki beams and balls.

In ki blasts, it says you dodge with 1d10+Skill+Tension-X. Skill, not spirit.

Under reaction actions, it says you dodge energy attacks with 1d10+Spirit+Tension

Nothing in energy techniques for beams and balls mentions this.

Does this mean ki blasts are not energy attacks?
>>
>>43936550
No. it seems to be an oversight. Edit made, it's spirit to dodge those.
>>
It costs 10 XP to open a technique slot, but techniques need a minimum of 15 XP in traits. Does this mean the cheapest technique costs 25 total XP?
>>
>>43936623
Yes, unless you're using a free slot granted by one of the racial traits.
>>
Does the Power Level table provide bonuses to the fighter with a higher power level, or the one with a lower power level?
>>
>>43936790
See
>>43935025
Will be clarified in the next draft.
>>
What are Advantage and Disadvantage?
>>
>>43936870
See
>>43935421
>>
>>43936255
Three.

Don't forget the DitV hack.
>>
File: Babidilaugh.jpg (11 KB, 200x157) Image search: [Google]
Babidilaugh.jpg
11 KB, 200x157
>>43936886
someone made a dogs in the vineyard hack for dragonball z? i... i think ive gone insane. that cant be real.
>>
>>43936221
Actually there is an official DBZ RPG, it's just.... Really, REALLY bad. Like almost unplayable.
>>
>>43936881
What happens when you have Advantage or Disadvantage and you do an Ultimate Attack?
>>
>>43936988
You'd make that enormous roll for the attack twice if you really felt the need to. Though most of the time an ult is enough to end any enemy.
>>
>>43936221
>No official system.

Well, there is actually. It's based on the Fuzion system and it's incredibly hard to find. It's shit through and through. Interesting to study, though.
>>
>>43936988
In the case of multiple dice, you roll an additional set for every advantage, and pick the best set. For instance, for a 3d10 resulting in 5+6+3=14 and another one resulting in 8+5+10=23, you pick the latter. If it's a disadvantage, you pick the lower, which is the former.
>>
>>43936951
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oTq1TU-_zMdTRR4IoJ9VXu5vvq4lzSm2GNZ1-tU6lvs

The idea originally was to say "fuck it" to trying to mechanically emulate the show and instead concentrate on competing for narrative control and how the things characters can do affects that.

It still needs a lot of work.
>>
>>43936952
that would be the R. Talsorian game built on the Fuzion system. Decent enough system, the full version anyway, but the DBZ game is a glorious horror.
>>
The example for Humans refers to "Logic" as if it were a stat, but there is no Logic stat.
>>
>>43936952
>>43937032
Isn't that the same system that claims Krillin can slap Superman's shit and that even Yamcha has the potential to blow up the entire planet when he powers up?
>>
File: Krillin beats Supes.jpg (156 KB, 752x721) Image search: [Google]
Krillin beats Supes.jpg
156 KB, 752x721
>>43937090
Yes.
>>
>>43937090
Oversight, carried over from BCG. Will be fixed.
>>
>>43937131
Meant to reply to >>43937086
>>
>>43937131
There. Here's an updated draft with all of the aforementioned fixes.
>>
The word forbid is used at least twice in a place where forego would make more sense.
>>
>>43937032
>and it's incredibly hard to find
https://mega.nz/#F!fRlVjIpY!GRer6nbyBthwEln1Wxaajw
>It's shit through and through. Interesting to study, though.
This is correct
>>
>>43937430
oh hey is that the package a few of use were trying to put together a while back?

honestly the stuff in that "Llec" saga draft is the most interesting, what with the gadget rules and the suggestions to turn it into a diceless game.

every few months i get the impulse to buy a rare copy of the 3rd book and scan it, but then i remember im minimum wage and the thing is collectible-ish, for a couple hundred CAD
>>
The Unbreakable trait mentions life points rather than hit points.
>>
>>43937187
cool.

just noticed on page 5 it says "be sure not to spend all of your XP on stats. Save some for skills and custom states."

i assume this means techniques and custom states, since Skill is a stat/attribute.
>>
Anti-Armor and Ultimate Attacks mention "Guard." What is this? Is it supposed to be block?
>>
>>43937541
The Cell-saga book? I thought it was never published. Who sells it?
>>
When you have two advantages on a roll, do you roll 3 times and take the best result?
>>
>>43937735
>>43937750
Fixed.

>>43937759
And fixed.

I'll post up another draft in a couple of hours before I go to bed.
>>
>>43937780
nah. the were milking it. garlic jr/pre-cell androids got a book of their own.

at the time it was being published the product line went under since it was shit and nobody was buying it. as a result the android book was underprinted, now its collectible enough nobody wants to destroy their for scans.

years later i stumbled on that "Llec" book on a forum archive, allegedly dumped y the guy contracted to write the cell book before it was cancelled.

but yeah there are no scans for the 3rd book, preventing the historians/archivists from ever having the complete story, including some rules as to how android energy absorption works.

apparently there are some new copies still out there. and one of them is the cheapest amazon listing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/189193306X/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=
>>
When you have advances from your Race selection, are those applied before or after you purchase stats with your starting point-buy XP?
>>
File: King Furry.png (443 KB, 1000x748) Image search: [Google]
King Furry.png
443 KB, 1000x748
>>43937853
>actively accepting feedback and putting it in the book
>exporting and uploading fresh drafts so quickly

you sir are a credit to our glorious dog-man king.
>>
>>43937969
They're always applied over your current stats. Cost-wise, all stats start at 1.
>>
File: you're_alright_kid.png (230 KB, 460x464) Image search: [Google]
you're_alright_kid.png
230 KB, 460x464
>>43937969
After. They're applied as a bonus. I'll clarify in the book.

>>43938003
It's mostly just wording stuff, so it's no big deal.
>>
>>43934099
>that call out of GT at the end
my favorite part
>>
>>43938525
Here ya go, fresh off the presses. I'm gonna go work on my Moonspeak homework, but I'll be watching the thread.
>>
I like the idea of Saiyans having free states, but no modification options other than Ascended Saiyan. They have more XP to spend on other stuff that way, but it's not unbalanced because the state traits and stat bonuses others can take make up for the difference. I'd like to see more stuff like that for other races, though.
>>
>>43934099
Skill should have an effect on damage in some way,

Mercenary tao can kill someone using very low strength very high skill, in the form of pressure points.
>>
>>43941159
That's where techniques and countering comes in. High skill makes it very hard to counter your attacks, and adding Skill Focus to the mix makes it easy for you to counter the opponent's.
There's also a pressure point attack for taking out considerably weaker opponents, which relies on skill.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.