[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get to a Mad Max/Fallout/Rage level of post apocalyptic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 25
File: 1448489079790.jpg (881 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448489079790.jpg
881 KB, 700x1000
How do I get to a Mad Max/Fallout/Rage level of post apocalyptic by way of war without nukes? Anything else within near future science fiction is fine. Combinations of things is encouraged, I just need stuff that can compound a WWIII into an apocalypse.
>>
Massive catastrophic climate change
>>
Superbug indiscriminately kills 50% of the planet. Preppers and survivalists are equally hit as random office workers. Suddenly, no power, no water, no food. The number of dead first-worlders due to lack of sanitation and refrigeration compounds, and all those corpses mean plenty of regular diseases to thin out the initial superbug survivors.
>>
>>43933327

If nukes aren't your answer it's this. Anything else leaves too much of the modern world intact.
>>
wraeththu
>>
Set your game in Australia.
>>
File: popmap.jpg (16 KB, 406x397) Image search: [Google]
popmap.jpg
16 KB, 406x397
>>43933430
epic meme
>>
>>43933379
Bug meteors
>>
File: 1428053342580.jpg (69 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1428053342580.jpg
69 KB, 250x251
>>43933310
Unchecked Immigration.
>>
>>43933464
What does the rabbit population got to do with anything?
>>
Massive mega-meteor shower. All of the boom, none of the fallout.
>>
>>43933368
>>43933426
>>43933430
>>43933480
>>43933550
>By way of war

Though climate change could theoretically be brought on by war related stuff.
>>
People don't really remember why everything is shit, moreover they don't really care. Whatever it was, it happened a long ass time ago.
>>
Mad Max wasn't nuclear.
It was conventional war, shortages, and ecological disasters.
>>
Rabies bro... That or global warming
>>
>>43933310
Aliens fucking with the planet via weather/climate/bio weapon manipulation, taking humans to the brink of extinction by barely lifting a finger.
>>
>>43933499
>What does the rabbit population got to do with anything?
You know, the post-apocalyptic deathworld of Australia where everything will kill you immediately and everything is poison or spikes or death.

Bunny rabbits can't get enough of the place.
>>
>>43933614
I see your point.
>>
>>43933614
you know rabbits acan really fuck up entire ecosystems right?
>>
>>43933310
>Firebombing intensifies
Way before nukes were a thing, H.G. Welles wrote a story called "the world set free" which described a bomb that, when dropped, never stopped burning.
A war lead to these "atomic bombs" peppering the landscape with eternally burning hell mouths centered around tiny, bouncing, Suns. Their fire scoured everything that was near them, destroying it completely, and making a permanent very obvious area of hell on earth. Not invisible radiation, actual, physical balls of fire.
>>
The Earth becomes sentient and decides that the humans are really annoying.
>>
Just have social collapse for no single apparent reason.

Economy went down the shitter, resources started to run out, environment went bad, people stopped caring about their neighbours, government wasn't able to hold shit together, not enough food to go round, population shrinks, police become ineffective, internet collapses as the hardware breaks down and nobody can afford to replace it, people forget how stuff works...

You don't need a disaster to destroy modern society. It's so big and complicated and depends on so many things being just right... knock a few of them down and the whole thing starts to collapse. It happened to the roman empire, it happened to the Mississippian culture, it happened to the Olmecs... it probably happened to dozens of societies that neither you or I have any idea even existed.
>>
Oil runs out
>>
>>43933578

Fury Road mentions nuclear war repeatedly.
>>
>>43933564
just about ANY of the reasons listed would do the trick to START this theoretical war.

then the war happens. everyplace worthwhile to any country gets conventional or FAE bombed into a crumbly crunchy powder. resource and logistic chains fail, lots of people die, critical number dies, whole infrastructures die, apocalypse happens now
>>
>>43933578
>>43934005

That being said, I got the impression the nukes were the tipping point rather than the actual bringers of the end times. George Miller did a pretty good job of showing us that it was a combination of things and not just one that ended civilization.
>>
>>43934005

The problems in the Mad Max world started way before nukes got involved though.
>>
>>43933705
>you know rabbits acan really fuck up entire ecosystems right?
I sure do. But it's fun to point out to the ozaboos that their precious deathisland is being overrun by fuzzy wuzzy bunnies.
>>
>>43934055
I mean, it is basically useless land for miles and miles in the interior.

The Arabian desert has a lot of cats, but no one would ever want to walk or even drive across it because it's a fucking barren wasteland.
>>
>>43934005
The original Mad Max film, which was called 'Mad Max' implied a gradual decline into lawlessness with no real reason given. The later Mad Max films had nuclear war become a more prominent theme, with the third and fourth opening with explicit shots of mushroom clouds, IIRC.

So it's technically correct to say that 'Mad Max' didn't have nuclear war because the film 'Mad Max' didn't mention it, but it certainly is part of the background to the Mad Max franchise. Whether said war happened before the first film or after and how much it was responsible for the decline of civilisation or a result of it is open to question.
>>
>>43934016
>>43933310
the real trick to accomplish this however is that MORE countries have nukes, not less.

because the factor of nuclear Mutually assured destruction would stay the hand of all but the most deluded dictator.

you can combine that with Armageddon cults like ISIS popping up everyplace and get a whole shit-ton of destruction accomplished conventionally.
>>
>>43933310
Massive EMPs followed by targeted attacks on power providing systems on an absolutely massive scale.

Destroying the heads of government with synchronized terrorist attacks worldwide.

Removal of other important services on a massive scale by X.

You could localize or lessen any of these in specific regions to have vastly differing power/class/technological struggles.
>>
>>43933310

Have the world end before 1943, or very shortly thereafter. Maybe they had half the oil reserves in this magical world and they ran out faster than we will.

Either way, the end is the same. There is no recovery from the end of the world.
>>
>>43933310
>How do I get to a Mad Max/Fallout/Rage level of post apocalyptic by way of war without nukes? Anything else within near future science fiction is fine. Combinations of things is encouraged, I just need stuff that can compound a WWIII into an apocalypse.
Extremely vicious artificial pathogen that disrupts RNA transcription and can replicate within both living and dead organism and manages to be carried across wind and water.

Not only will everything suddenly get cancer, you also end up with plant life dying rapidly which in turn leads to massive conflagrations which in turn makes living conditions even harder.

Extremely high tech filter mechanisms might work out, but this in turn will require adequate preparation, and after a while supplies will run out.

Ideally have the pathogen be dropped onto/near population centres and rapidly deteriorate mental faculties.

TL;DR: Super cancer Alzheimer.
>>
>>43934168
>EMPs
he said no nukes.

>>43934091
Completely wrong. Just because the mad max films are based on a movie that nobody thought anyone would like, doesn't mean it doesn't have a convoluted and nonsense history to its world.
>>
>>43934092
ISIS is no different than the american colonists who started murdering their fellow men because tea taxes were too high and they had to share their houses with soldiers.

ISIS at least has a proper justification.
>>
File: Weather Machine.jpg (168 KB, 825x943) Image search: [Google]
Weather Machine.jpg
168 KB, 825x943
>>43933327

This. Look up the conspiracy theories surrounding "HAARP", then extrapolate that to a fictional war where weather manipulation technology gone out of control replaces nuclear disaster.
>>
>>43933310
There are a couple options:
Climate Change
Some type of asteroid impact
Super Volcanos
>>
>>43933564
Plague could be biological warfare.

As for bug asteroids, have you even SEEN (or read) Starship Troopers?
>>
>>43934216
...EMPs dont have to be nukes...
>>
>>43934278
Maybe the earths core stopped rotating like that one movie
Maybe the moon got blown up like in the Time Machine
>>
>>43934287
Yeah, but I mean war between humans on Earth. Not war between humans and aliens or humans and space humans.
>>
>>43934294
Yes they do. Name an existing device that creates an EMP.
>>
>>43934278
>>43934326

Those are extinction events, not happy-go-lucky let's all drive around in complex synthesized hydrocarbon powered cars.

The only way this setting works is if you ignore reality the entire time.
>>
File: 1402625321939.jpg (283 KB, 1131x1164) Image search: [Google]
1402625321939.jpg
283 KB, 1131x1164
30 years in the future, a much larger International Space Station, and all the various biohazards, experimental plants and pathogens, and volatile fuel, is rammed into the Earth's surface due to an error in the AI (caused by hackers on either side of the war). Technology is rolled back to taste due to distrust of the tech that ruined the world, difficulty to salvage needed machinery, ect.

A long stalemate between two sides in a world war is dragged to a sudden and worldending halt when both sides manage to invent a weapon at the same time that devastates the crops of the other side. The war fades into distant memory as for almost a whole generation fighting breaks out across the whole human race simply to feed themselves.

Supervolcanoes and rising sea levels. At the same time.
>>
>>43934350
Electric motors, Power lines, the CHAMP Missile...literally anything that can repeat or switch electronic pulses
>>
>>43934382
Magic.

You could have just said magic, since it doesn't matter how you justify the magic, it's just magic.
>>
>>43934350
OP did also give the examples of Fallout/Rage/Mad Max. So I don't imagine realism is too central in the setting.
>>
Rocks call from space. That's really all it would take, and we have no real way to stop it right now. A meteor strike is like a nuclear detonation, so if a big enough one hits...
>>
>>43934350
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator
>>
>>43934398

No, sorry. The CHAMP missile doesn't exist.
>>
>>43934436
...okay...
>>
>>43934418
Then just say a wizard ended the world. Why all the appeals to "real events" that could only occur through literal magic?

Why mince words?

>>43934434
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

And what's the range on those? ten feet?
>>
>>43934464
How did you get so autistic anon?
>>
>>43934458

It doesn't. It's a hush-hush prototype that probably doesn't even work, it's just a ploy to scare countries that are working on real shit like hypersonic missiles.

Let me guess, lockheed has mr. fusion too?
>>
>>43934476
It's called an education. You owe everything in your life to "autistic" people.
>>
>>43934378
>The only way this setting works is if you ignore reality the entire time

now thats just rude, senpai.

lets see... it could be an interstitial period in the time's global warming whatnot, and so most of the planet's desert but there's still tech around... sort of.
>>
>>43934483
So, do you think any Sci-Fi setting that isn't 100% grounded in real existing technology is equivalent and may as well be replaced with magical fantasy?

Do you hate Fallout? Do you hate Star Trek?

In any case, you've proven to me that your opinion is garbage and I no longer care.
>>
>>43933310
Asteroid mining, we fucked up, crashed a bigass rock into all the things.

Or, the rocks could just kinda happen, as rocks are wont to do, but that's a little more handwavey, which may not be to your taste.
>>
>>43934407
But if there's magic after the apocalypse, why would everything be shitty?
>>
>>43934515
>So, do you think any Sci-Fi setting that isn't 100% grounded in real existing technology is equivalent and may as well be replaced with magical fantasy?
Yes.

>Do you hate Fallout? Do you hate Star Trek?
I don't really care about LCD video games and tv shows. They're not worthy of hate since they don't matter.

>In any case, you've proven to me that your opinion is garbage and I no longer care.
If that was true, you would have erased your post. Try to be honest next time.

>>43934522
>Asteroid mining
Oh lol, i thought /x/ had funny ideas.
>>
File: kudzu example.jpg (161 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
kudzu example.jpg
161 KB, 1024x769
Dire Kudzu.
Would probably looking something like pic related, if it were actually growing on the building and not just a perspective trick.
>>
File: 1448637839320.jpg (95 KB, 681x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448637839320.jpg
95 KB, 681x1080
>>43934483
That's a very autistic thing to say anon.
>>
>>43934603
>posts anime fapbait
Oh the irony!
>>
>>43934547
Because this is already devolving into "for the sake of plot" drek writing.

I guess it won't lack for company, eh?
>>
>>43934055
You do realize that the majority of ausfags don't actually care, the ozzie death island is a joke Australians perpetrate because it helps prevent foreigners doing stupid shit with actually dangerous wildlife

Also it makes it funnier when the Native cuddly ones fuck up someones day
>>
>>43934294
yeah, they pretty much do. Unless you wanna go sci-fi
>>
>>43934569
>Incredibly popular television and video games don't matter
>On a board for the niche adults who like to play with army men and do make believe with their friends

Why are even here?

Moreover, what do you even like?
>>
>>43933310
The world erupted into violence and man fought man until there was nothing left to fight over.
>>
>>43933310
Why don't you want nukes?
>>
>>43934660
>waah, get out

Why is /tg/ so allergic to reality? What are you escaping from? What possible first world problems could warrant such a divorce from the real world?
>>
>>43933310
Zombie apocalyose. No other way to go with it.
>>
>>43934692
>1: I feel like the world would be more likely to kill itself with war if nukes weren't around
>2: I wanted to see what could be come up with if you take away the most obvious thing
>3: I felt like being a contrarian special snowflake
>>
>>43934728
>Why is /tg/ so allergic to reality?
Because it's a board dedicated to escapism?
>>
File: 084.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298 KB, 600x512
>>43934728
>Why is /tg/ so allergic to reality?

I don't even know where to start with this statement.
>>
>>43934747
>>1: I feel like the world would be more likely to kill itself with war if nukes weren't around
it's inevitable either way.

>2: I wanted to see what could be come up with if you take away the most obvious thing
Magic. What did you expect? Scientific literacy does not exist on /tg/. so all you're going to get is what other people have told them is true.

>3: I felt like being a contrarian special snowflake
Not really.
>>
>>43934757

Wait, what? Since when does playing games with friends once a week mean you're escaping reality? Since when does roleplaying mean you let it take your life over? Monsters and Mazes was meant to be a parody of Tabletop Players.

I think you take it much too far if that's the case. What you need is therapy, not enablers. You have a problem with your life that you need to sort out. Please, seek help before you hurt yourself.
>>
>>43934464
>>43934728
Damn, man. I doubted that they existed but you did prove me wrong. Now i can without any shred of sarcasm i can finally do this. All thanks to you anon. All thanks to you.
*tips fedora*
>>
>>43934808
No, it means that we don't need our escapist fiction to be 100% realistic, otherwise what would be even the fucking point?
>>
>>43934624
You wound me sir. Any scenario that causes the apocalypse in such a complete manner is mostly for the sake of plot.
>>
>>43934850
Can you reiterate that? I can't understand your argument that "100% of people play games to escape reality, instead of just having fun with friends"

What sort of state must your life be in to make that kind of assessment? Are you saying that you would NEVER play ANY game that was 100% realistic, like a sport?
>>
>>43934909
Non-nuclear ones, yes.

Otherwise, it's an inevitability that it will end that way.
>>
>>43934932
>Are you saying that you would NEVER play ANY game that was 100% realistic, like a sport?
You mean one with actual ball and shit? Hell yeah i do. It's fun. But realistic pen and paper simulation of kicking a ball around would be boring enough to make potted plants die out of boredom.
>>
>>43933486
Epic
>>
>>43935037
So you'd never want to play a full racing sim? You'd never want to play a full space sim or milsim? It's not about experiencing things that you can't afford, it's about experiencing things that cannot be?
>>
File: rub my belly onii-chan.gif (600 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
rub my belly onii-chan.gif
600 KB, 400x225
>>43934728
you're a funny guy, anon.
>>
>>43933310
Take away the Manhattan Project. Germany waited longer to turn on Russia. World War II runs much, much longer and the nations are more likely to burn themselves out.
>>
>>43935104
It's both?
>>
>>43935104
>So you'd never want to play a full racing sim? You'd never want to play a full space sim or milsim?
If they are 100% realistic? You do realise how much they would suck, right?
>>
>>43935122
Horseshoe crabs are so neat/gross.
>>
>>43934091
The first mad max film mentions resource shortages and wars over the. (water and oil IIRC) as the reason for societies slow collapse. Going by the later films said wars got nuclear between films 1 and 2.
>>
File: riot.jpg (76 KB, 666x960) Image search: [Google]
riot.jpg
76 KB, 666x960
>>43933310
Social unrest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

War drags on, economies break down, social order collapses.
>>
How plausible would a "water levels everywhere drop dramatically oh shit" scenario be? How would you explain it?
>>
>>43935210
>If they are 100% realistic? You do realise how much they would suck, right?

You think that's an objective fact? I would love both, because I KNOW i will die without ever experiencing the real thing. Any realist will admit this.
>>
>>43935357
>Any autist will admit this

And I will never get to be a elf/robot/post apocalyptic raider. I can do both.
>>
>>43935398
>Autist

Are you?
>>
>>43935353

Water levels just randomly dropping would be a hard one to explain, unless you tried to pull off something like 'Massive earthquake leads to a hole in the crust that all the water falls into' but I'm not big enough into geology to explain what that would cause.

A better rational is that the water is tainted, undrinkable. Poisoned by something.

>>43935283

Oil was the big one for the first Mad Max. The world was in a tension state, but it wasn't until the Nuclear weapons started getting used that shit went down hill. It's the 'Pocky-Lips' that the kids and Max talks about in Beyond Thunderdome.
>>
File: peak-ff-1x.png (31 KB, 975x450) Image search: [Google]
peak-ff-1x.png
31 KB, 975x450
>>43936739
They called it the Pox Eclipse. Even though they make no sense unless max is in his 60's during Thunderdome.

The world fell in much the same way as Fallout's did and ours is going to. No gas = gotta get more gas = give us your gas = global thermonuclear war.

"inb4 Jim'll Fix It."
>>
>>43937672
Regarding the time span in Mad Max movies, I believe Miller has basically said "Fuck it" when it comes to continuity.

Max is at least in his late 20s in the Original film before the bombs, he might be in his 40s by Road Warrior, but by Thunderdome there's no way a man of his age should look and behave the way he does. Not to mention the fact that enough of society has degenerated that people have genuinely forgotten what happened.

Then Fury Road comes along, and again, there's no way Max is past his 40s.But again, civilization has collapsed to the point where old women barely remember what TV was and the language has started to become broken.

So either Max is some kind of ageless mutant, the movies are just random legends with the main character named Max because he's become a folk hero, or somehow people are transformed into the Road Warrior when they put on the jacket and find the car. (my personal theory which I know is total bullshit)
>>
>>43933310
Meteor impact.

Set the game after the nuclear winter has subsided.
>>
>>43937978

Isn't there an argument that "the road warrior" is just a random person at that period in time who does crazy shit, and it's not the same person in each film? Makes sense seeing as they didn't get gibson to do fury road.
>>
>>43937978
It's been a while, but aren't Road Warrior and Thunderdome reveled at the end to be stories being told?
>>
>>43938083
Yeah, that's the common one. The various wasteland legends are now just attributed to Max. Whenever something badass happens and people don't know who did it his name gets slapped on.

Though again, Miller has basically come out and said he'll do whatever he wants with timelines because he makes the movies to be cool/fun/badass. So it's just bullshit fan theories.
>>
>>43937978
>the movies are just random legends with the main character named Max because he's become a folk hero

I believe this has been confirmed by Miller, but I don't know for sure. I love your theory though
>>
>>43938103
That's the best possible policy to have.
>>
>>43938110
Miller said that each movie is disconnected. Said something like "they're each stories in the Wasteland".

Each being a different person entirely is cool too, might adopt that as my head canon.
>>
>>43933845
That's kinda what happened in "Ready Player One"

America / the world is undergoing a kind of collapse, probably accelerated by the fact that the world's greatest videogame / MMO / VR life replacement simulation is 100% free to play, and more people live online than in the real world.
>>
>>43934023
That's one of the things I really liked about the first Mad Max movie. It always felt to me like it could be happening in the same universe as Blade Runner. The same decay of civilization, just in the Australian outback instead of an American metropolis.
>>
>>43937978
my theory is that its a sort of dread pirate roberts thing. 1st and 2nd film is the same max, but thunderdome and fury road max are new people. Probably the feral kid grown up and having adopted the name and identity of his idol. Since he had no name of his own.
>>
>>43933310
The tactical redirecting of space rocks to crash in to the enemy
>>
>>43934464
This anon, though agressive, makes a point.

Remember this is about Tabletop Games, and in a RPG, any part of the story, apart of being interesting, must be gameable:

How does the end of the world, and most related to this, the events that lead to this affect the PC´s or the gameplay? what options does it give to the player, what kind of enemies does this make, what kind of enviroments and problems create to the PC´s to solve, if nothing of the like its made from this event, this event and thinking about it its irrelevant and better left out to pseudo-literary wankery.
>>
File: actually anon.png (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
actually anon.png
19 KB, 200x200
>>43933614
>>43933660
>>43934055
Do you even realize how ecology works? I hate the "Australia is le death world xDD" shit too, but your map does nothing to disprove it. In fact, if anything it kind of supports it, as the really venomous parts of Australia, IE the north, are where the least rabbits are.

And why would the fact that the presence of an invasive pest species with few natural predators do anything to show Australia is any less dangerous? The fact that rabbits are fuzzy and cute? So are koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, and a ton of other shit that's considered cute by most people.

Shit son, I agree with you that people need to quit the memeing, but you need to get a better argument than this.
>>
>>43933310
Water shortage.
>>
File: 1444947075044.png (445 KB, 807x700) Image search: [Google]
1444947075044.png
445 KB, 807x700
Just take bits and pieces from Suisei no Gargantia, climate change leads tonone faction building super weapons of the direct energy variety and the other through bioengineering and trans-humanism. People caught in the middle until the two factions decide to leave earth when the new ice age occurs. A couple thousand years later, Earth is either an ice world, or a water world.
>>
File: 1anc1207.jpg (73 KB, 615x480) Image search: [Google]
1anc1207.jpg
73 KB, 615x480
>>43933310
>I just need stuff that can compound a WWIII into an apocalypse.
The war just never stops
>>
meteors
>>
File: elemental of tornado.jpg (79 KB, 800x548) Image search: [Google]
elemental of tornado.jpg
79 KB, 800x548
the very earth produces huge monsters on a random basis that asolate cities. This may or not be a result of hatred against humanity. Civilized tribes build walls and other protections against this monsters; meanwhile wilding, nomad tribes have adapted to their biorrythms and know how to avoid them, deal with them or even use them in their favour.
>>
>>43943306
This, or a huge solar storm.
>>
>>43941818
>argument
That post was clearly a joke, bro
>>
File: Rabbit_of_Caerbannog.jpg (12 KB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
Rabbit_of_Caerbannog.jpg
12 KB, 420x240
>>43934055

Death awaits you with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

>>43937672
>>60's during Thunderdome.

Yeah, I can by this. My dad is in his 70s and still active as all fuck. I can believe, with a little bit of a stretch, that Max is in his 60s by Thunderdome.

As for Fury Road - I've always thought that it was supposed to be The Feral Child from Mad Max 2 grown up going by the name of Max.
>>
>>43933327
Won't bring down satellites. So long satellites exist, there can be a global communication network, and hence oversea trade.
Kessler syndrome theory needs to happen, or something causing us to be unable to launch into space.

You also need the global Internet cables to go down somehow, since it will take down telephones and lots of stuff alongside with it.

Massive climate change will just result in Western world declaring war on wherever its safe, to forcefully build harvest fields.
Rising sea level will just result in a Inland relocation.
>>
File: 03Sj4 - Copy.jpg (22 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
03Sj4 - Copy.jpg
22 KB, 300x450
>>43934382
>Technology is rolled back to taste due to distrust of the tech that ruined the world
So we go back to electric boats and non AI tech? Thats not a huge change. Even today nothing is really AI run, and automated process robots are just tools.

>Anti crop virus
This just ends with countries with seed vaults taking over the world. Not with resource shortage.

Sure you are looking at the complete collapse of the larger cities in India, but for the civilized world? Not really.
>>
>>43934591
Dire Kudzu, if its cold resistant, and resistant to forest fires, would be a real threat to civilization
>>
>>43933705
Show those furry bastards the glory of myxomatosis.
>>
>>43937672
>They called it the Pox Eclipse. Even though they make no sense unless max is in his 60's during Thunderdome.

What? The kids hanging around the crashed plane are in their late teens aren't they? And it's implied they were young children during the apocalypse, when the plane crashed? So the war was maybe ten years before thunderdome, fifteen at the very most.
>>
>>43944760
>>And it's implied they were young children during the apocalypse, when the plane crashed?

It's implied that their parents were around when the Apocalypse happened. It's never clear when the kids entered the scene - either before the plane crash or years after it.

It was turbulence that brought the plane down, though that may or may not have been caused by the apocalypse.
>>
>>43934569
Why are you on tg...?
>>
>>43943428
It has silly spindly legs :D
>>
>>43933310

Potential Ideas:

- Grey Ooze
- Meteorites
- Virulent Plague that affects all living creatures
- Increased Solar Output/Massive global warming
- Poisoning of the water supply planet wide
>>
>>43945161
>Why are you on tg...?
He enjoys playing the most traditional game: insulting other people because their incorrect tastes and preferences are different from his correct tastes and preferences.
>>
>>43945450

Which, funnily enough, could eventually lead to a Mad Max-esque setting.
>>
File: 1516930.jpg (106 KB, 450x289) Image search: [Google]
1516930.jpg
106 KB, 450x289
>>43934591
>>43944702

Thats actually good idea, just add to the temperature resistance an ability to be eaten and cause hallucinations without killing you.

Make it some government project for militar uses/ sheer unluck left into an abandoned facility by lack of funds, and from there it spread around the world. People found it and tought was just common kudzu, in the end spreading the shit around by the form of seeds or little examples. Any place the plant goes, it slowly but surely covers in its entirety, be it cities, plains or even fucking montains, making the only places where it cant grow the really extreme biomes (deserts of both ice and sand) and very rocky montainous areas. the rest is all doomed.

Animals can survive in there, but they are a little crazy from the hallucinogenic, and humans could eat that type, sometimes being the only thing to eat in kilometers/miles around then and go into a weak lsd trip state. Thye still can work, fight or do shit, but their perception is randomly changed enough to make then look crazy or a little junkie.

Technological advances end only being held into very closed facilities and vault like structures that end also covered into vines, making it hard to find around the green wasteland.

There is still trade as some areas had more luck and still havent got infested, but the caravans need to pass the chaotic green environment and defend thenselves from the drugged marauders, crazy animals and other people trying to take their stuff or just in an crazy delusional state break their things up out of sheer confunsion.

In a place like that you can have technological advancement, but it is a little fucked. People can roam around but marauders and things might attack then and it's hard to think on a wayto make the wourld go back to the age before after it started rolling. There. Theres an wasteland.
>>
>>43945889
Cities end up being made into these places, using old igh mintenance technology from a time network lines were a thing, machines slowly get broken, many from pure caculated life time by old dead enterprises and even if people know how to repair then, theres no place to get pieces back, nor materials or production factories to build then in time. Sattelite lines could still work, but the cities would end so far away that even if it worked, it would take days or months for shit to happen.

Mistrust and commerce would help in it, as a piece got off, they could ask other settlement for the thing, but it took two weeks of wandering the wasteland to get that plane engine, and the green people from south are starting to get mad at us from slacking our next potato shipment. And at the time the engine came, the plane is already destroyed because a ton of marauding druggies wave attacked the city, tried to took the half working plane and made it crash against a building. The surviving ones said their leader was going to get then flying to paradise soon. Their leader is a fox that makes gibberish sounds after taking a bit of the vine.
>>
File: ship--article_image.jpg (49 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
ship--article_image.jpg
49 KB, 620x350
>>43946026
Some cities might liv over water in boats, or in deserts and completely frozen places, with some islands being paradises as they havent been infested by the vines. comunnities roam the rives and oceans in half working ships that are running out of fuel in search for these places, literal floating cities, with plants being grown in then and relatively working comunitties.

They would have problems with common real world pirates as we have today in search not so much of money but resources and food, sneaky thieves that come in the middle of the night, and some more insane marauders who just roam further from the coast.

As for marauders, they migt help vine spread by actually liking the drugged existence. it doesnt kill then, give then food and make then hear pretty colors, so it might as well be a good thing no? They might try to sneak into other communities to cause hidden hyper kudzu infestations, and destroy ecosstens of paradise isles. Some might make catapults simply to throw as much vine crowns as they can in the inside of a not roofed city, the amunition is infinite after all...
>>
>>43944601
Naw, it's max. Fury Road happens really close to thunderdome.
>>
>>43946150
The effect of the vine on a human body is low, but cummulative depending of how much of it you eat. The eatable part itself is a very inneficient sustenance, making someone need to eat like a monkey every once in a while, making the effect who was just fading off from their mind actually stronger. People werent crazy from the first day foward, but after the long term consuption, the intoxication is almost an natural part of the outsider wanderers of the green wasteland. to stop the effect after months or years of comsuption might not be as easy, and some permannet damage might have already be done to the brain and senses of the individual.
>>
File: 1449065615712.jpg (254 KB, 1630x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449065615712.jpg
254 KB, 1630x1080
>>43933310
Asteroid strike, with the ramping down of nasa and space corporations not growing fast enough, the international project to redirect the Asteroid failed.
Nukes failed
The Asteroid wipes out 80 percent of all life, only the elite and the insane survive

>dusty winter
>feudalism by the military remnants and surviving elites of various nations
>picking through ruins for useful tech
>military remnants going Rogue and becoming roving bandits

All in just 20 years after the strike. Don't go hundreds of years after, civilization will have rebuilt by then.
>>
>>43933310
Alien invasion. We manage to fend them off, but not before they drop a massive meteor on us.
>>
>>43935353
>How plausible would a "water levels everywhere drop dramatically oh shit" scenario be? How would you explain it?

The issue isn't just water levels dropping. It's clean/safe water sources that are easily/economically obtained dropping to a certain threshold that matters.

Because water right now is relatively cheap, but getting more expensive. If it ever starts getting the point where it's as valuable as oil, however- when you can't take a bath, wash your car, flush a toilet, have a soda/beer, or take advantage of any of the countless industries made possible by copious amounts of extremely cheap clean water.

And available clean water can be lost through pollution/contamination, desertification, or rising salinity in coastal areas.

All this- and more- is kind of how the world of Mad Max ended up having a nuclear war to begin with.

I say go with a meteor strike, though. It'll kick up debris into the atmosphere, blocking out lots of sunlight and killing off a lot of oxygen producing plants, which starts a systemic collapse/readjustment of the atmosphere/ecosystem.
>>
>>43946570
Except water has been more expensive than oil for quite a long time now. An American oil baron sold off his business and is now known as the water baron, like some kind of Fallout character.
>>
File: 1438358223434.png (269 KB, 970x688) Image search: [Google]
1438358223434.png
269 KB, 970x688
>>43934250
>>
>>43938567
I think the tech discrepancy is too high, but the idea of films that are about decaying societies all being in the same world is interesting.
>>
File: collapse.png (151 KB, 354x499) Image search: [Google]
collapse.png
151 KB, 354x499
The original Mad Max film wasn't about nuclear holocaust, but a sustained energy crisis that turned the global economy to hell.

It wouldn't take as much as you think.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.