[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you get into Warhammer 40K brothers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: tgeom-24786.jpg (281 KB, 766x992) Image search: [Google]
tgeom-24786.jpg
281 KB, 766x992
How did you get into Warhammer 40K brothers?
>>
>>43926358
Choose any army then spend all your money
>>
Dawn of war: winter assault. And the books.
>>
>>43926408
Try reading again.

>>43926358
DoW Dark Crusade. Never owned any miniatures nor gave a fuck about TT rules outside of the RPGs.
>>
>>43926358
A very avid fan I met. I'm not very talkative and he admited he wasn't either but could talk someone's ear off for hours about 40k. I had a lot of time to kill so I told him to go for it. He wasn't joking.
>>
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.
>>
>>43926358
i was staying over night at my brothers house when i was thirteen when he had some friends over. They let me play with a spare Eldar army but i loved how his friends Nids played so i bought them when i was getting my own army. Been eating every worlds ever since
>>
>>43926358
One summer day, long time ago, my brother told me of a game he played with his friend about armies of fantasy races, magic and motherfucking dragons.

I got into fantasy.

As I lovingly collected and played with my fantasy army I got to discover the fluff and all the other miniatures and games, I observed 40k for some time, reading about the differences and the similarities in both fluff and game, but only recently I decided to get into it, funnily enough, with the army I most loathed at the first glance when found out about 40k: Tyranids.

And this is how I got cruddace'd.
But goddamm if I don't love them anyway.
>>
Lurking and I think some one posted the story of had thee Astral Knights defeated the World Engine. I just had to read up on more awesome shit like that. Bought some books and suddenly became 40k fan.

Haven't got into the models yet though.
>>
let me guess your considering switching to AOS BEACUSE OF THE MODELS
>>
Better question. What turned you off 40K, gentlemen?

For me it was the newcrons. At that moment I realised that GW has jumped the shark and it's time to move on.
>>
>>43926677
>switching to AOS
Ishygddt
>>
>>43926689
The end of fantasy was what definitely killed my interest in the hope of good rules, fluff and miniatures for the future.

I'm planning to restart anew with what I already have with a purely hobbyist and homebrewer approach.
>>
>>43926358
My father bought Ian Watson's Space Marine.
>>
Dawn of War introduced me to the setting, but Thousand Sons locked me in.I find the warp and psykers the most interesting thing of 40k.
Later, when I discovered TS would become their own legion in HH game, I opted to not play any kind of Marines in 40k... and went to Tau. I'm a sucker for mechas and clean technology lines
>>
>>43926358
friend showed me one of the rulebooks when I was a kid. Thought the artwork was bretty good then I got some orks and shit.

I now live in a cardboard box made out of the smaller boxes all my Tyranids came in
>>
>>43926358
As cliché as it sounds I literally blame /tg/ I started with Warhammer Fantasy and 40k were just hanging somewhere in the background. Spending enough time on /tg/ slowly eased my into 40k. I do not own any miniatures mind you but I did dig into the lore and some rulebooks.
>>
I made friends with a guy in my high school in Egypt. He was a Texan expat from Amoco with the Codex: Angels of Death book.
It was total bullshit, he suggested I get 3rd edition so we could split the minis, except this means my first army was Dark Eldar and I routinely got BTFO. We also never finished a game because we got bored and started watching TV instead. Sadly we had a falling-out in high school and don't talk anymore

I moved to the US for college, gifted my army away to some half-Japanese guy in the dorms, took a 5 year hiatus, then Warhammer Wednesday on /b/ made me stop by a GW.
I just painted individual minis for a few years, but it was the AdMech release that made me start assembling an army again.
>>
>>43926763
I feel bad for everyone that got to 40k from DOW. They just came to see GW killing the franchise.
>>
Peer pressure.
>>
Mordheim.
>>
>>43926358
/tg/. funnily enough. I came here for RPGs, and then I really found out about 40k.
>>
Heard of it first through a friend. First started collecting Tau in 2003 (when I was a massie weeb), then went onto Imperial Guard, now I'm collecting Eldar. Heaps into the novels - read them all through my teenagehood
>>
>>43926358

I didn't because its shit.
>>
This video. Specifically around the 1:10 mark, where there's some cool 40k art going on, and that got me curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bxjAj2-54

I learned as much as I could about the lore from the Lexicanum, started getting into the minis, and came on /tg/.
>>
My wife played it when we were still dating; she had some old DA models from HS, & I always thought Orks were hilarious. We'd visit friends for a game where she'd play & I'd just shoot the shit w/ everyone until our buddy fatefully said, "[Anon], would you play if we got you a starter army of Orks?"

"..."

"Yes, goddammit."

I now have more points than I can count of Orks & just started Necrons. For all the bitching about Newcrons, the fluff for your own army is whatever you want, so my dudes are still cool.
>>
My dad.
>>
Older step brother showed me his tyranids, asked if I could read their codex. Was hooked on the world, that Christmas got a load of GW stuff, coincided with mid teens (little responsibility, free time) so on reflection it's a very bright part of my past.

Then I read the Dwarfs BL novels and got into fantasy hardcore, I was never really about playing the game I just enjoyed making and painting the figures, the lore was a huge part too.
>>
>>43926358
A bunch of ponyfaggots, funnily enough.
>>
I started out my wargaming hobby when I began to play the Lord of the Rings strategy game. And after about a year I had started to look into the other games, mainly 40k, and then I talked to my friends and we bought a battleforce for the army we thought looked the most badass
>>
A friend in highschool gave me the orks from 2nd ed starter set, minus all the nob arms that he wanted to use to convert his space marines to look super buff with. Still have a bunch of ork bosses each with a missing arm.
>>
Warhammer 40k is my life... It is literally 90% of what I think about in my day, I am that level of autist.... It all began in the 3rd grade when I saw someone on my school bus reading a white dwarf magazine, it had a chaos lord from fantasy on the cover and looked cool so I asked him what it was, he told me it was warhammer and that was my first encounter with it, my second was when my family would make frequent trips to the local mall and on the top floor in the corner of the large building there was a games workshop, I remember staring at it and being intrigued and my father looked down and saw my interest and said "lets go have a look", when we walked in it was a world of beauty, 3rd edition I believe, battle for macragge on a table and boxes full of minis everywhere. That christmas my parents bought me the dawn of war 1 game which had just come out and i played the ever living shit out of that game and convinced all my childhood friends to get it too, we all go into 40k together and started collecting the models giving them 4th grade paint jobs and playing the game half understanding the rules, I remained a huge warhammer fan all the way up until grade 8 and had bought all the succeeding dawn of war games beating them with every race on the highest difficulty but when high school hit I had forgot my past passion and became consumed by trying to become popular and using drugs. And then. One day in the end of grade 12 my friends who I had no idea liked warhammer were arguing about who would win in a fight "a space marine or master chief" and they asked me, space marine.... why does that sound familiar? space marine.... i know that word... I went home that night and did mountains of research and bought all the new games. I'm in university now and I have a 2000 point imperial fists army and play games with my university friends when I can or retribution and the space marine game. I love warhammer more than anything in the whole world.
>>
>>43926358
Reading some of the lore online. The horror and grimdarkness is what got me into this. At first I wasn't rooting for any of the factions, execpt maybe the Imperium because I thought they were the lesser evil of the bunch that wasn't naive to about the galaxy, but as I learned more about the lore I've grown to like the Imperium more and that there are some few glimmers of hope for humanity.
>>
Dawn of War circa 2008.
>>
Dawn of War got me into warhammer. But after seeing models I started Warriors of chaos for fantasy. After a while started with space marines. HH was the next logical step, really.
>>
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade reeled me in and kept my interest for years. Finally got INTO the game and minis with the Tau Empire in late 5th edition.
Age of Sigmar, however, has shattered any love or interest in the fluff and game. It was like finding out that the love of your life has been fucking your brother all along. Total emotional shutdown. GeeDubs really fucked up.
>>
>>43927655
why would you give a shit about AoS if you're into 40k?
>>
Dawn of War here. Was an excellent RTS at the time and really got into the lore from there.
>>
>>43927769
AoS made me realize that GW was more than willing to kill of decades of established beloved lore.
>>
>>43926358
I was five years old and my cousins said they would give me a terminator model, but only if I played Ultramarines. So I did and 17 years later still do.
>>
I walked into my local GW and asked what they do. I quickly became hooked and started my first space marine army.
>>
Last weekend I bought the Dark Vengeance starter pack. Got the shit glued together and took it on a test run with a buddy. That first game took us 5 hours and we probably each had 3 turns each, as we read the rules as we went. Ended up calling a stale meats as we didn't fully get assaults and were taking way too long on them and got bored.
Had another match and went much better, set up terrain and that changed everything. Started painting last night. Shits dope. Gonna get a next on army and he's gonna go space wolves.
>>
>>43926358
Watched a battle report on YouTube of Warhammer fantasy, then spread out to 40k, Flames of War, 30k etc.
>>
File: Alpha-Theta_II_Annihilator_Team.jpg (321 KB, 774x866) Image search: [Google]
Alpha-Theta_II_Annihilator_Team.jpg
321 KB, 774x866
I had played some of the vidya and read a bit of the fluff but it never really caught my attention in a big way until I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTTSfN8wpsE
as it was linked from TB's channel.
From it I found out about the Adeptus Mechanicus and it really captured my imagination. I read almost all the lore about the faction which gave me enough knowledge to become interested in the other factions.
The rest is history and a pile of money spent on plastic cyborgs.
>>
>>43926358
When I was young (about eight or nine years old), I was part of a group called "The Boys Brigade" - it was kind of like the Scouts, but we had a really stupid uniform and they also taught you how to play the bugle for some reason. Anyway, while it was supposed to be sort of about being outdoors and active and all that jazz, it was also organised and ran by a bunch of adults who were really into Warhammer 40k. Every week, a whole bunch of us were led through introductory games - Squats versus Orks in glorious Rogue Trader action - and even our camping trips away often involved day long games at church halls.
>>
I saw a lot of memes about it, so I decided to read about it.
>>
Space Marines appealed to me and I always wanted to play the game. I did not like the Ultramarines vs Orks start box but as they sold Dark Vengeance, they got me into it.
I guess Dawn of War 1+2 did their thing to help with this decision.
>>
dawn of war, the original.
>>
>>43926358
Played Dawn of War and decided to check more of the lore behind it.
A few months later, I was gathering minis.
>>
My brother got into it when I was 5 or 6, and I learnt advanced reading pretty much from White Dwarf, from 1995 until they switched to weekly format, never missed a single issue, so I've been immersed in warhammer for most of my life, but only just started painting three years ago, and just starting to get my first proper 40k army ready to go recently, been a long time coming really.
>>
>>43926358
Bought a White Dwarf out of boredom while waiting for the train. It introduced new craftworld eldar miniatures as well as a few pages about space wolves.
>>
File: Flesh Tearers - Terminator.jpg (99 KB, 713x935) Image search: [Google]
Flesh Tearers - Terminator.jpg
99 KB, 713x935
I only got into the lore, not really interested in the game.
>see all this awesome art on /b/ and /wg/
>start reading the threads and find all this cool shit
>notice it's also all over /k/, /pol/ and /v/
>decide to check it out
>get recommended Gaunt's Ghosts and DoW
>read more books, start participating in threads
>discover /tg/
>realize all the potential in autistic arguing over 40k
>stay forever
>>
I initially got into the Star-Craft games, then realised it was merely watered down WH40K.
>>
>>43931259
It's not too uncommon. I've been inching towards the game for a while, but I never seem to have time to finish my DA army. And the sudden switch to 7th has made me reluctant to continue, in case they change the rules by the time I'm done and I can't use the Monster Slayer of Caliban or a Land Speeder Vengeance or something.

Have you played one of the RPGs or the games?
>>
I believe it was in a closet of my uncle's that was full of his stuff a couple years after he moved out, but I found a really old little flyer/booklet thing for the game. Probably just marketing purposes, it was only a few pages but it was in full color and showed off a few of the armies and products for sale.

I had no idea what it was though, and it looked so fucking cool to 10 year old me. I took it to school and showed my friends and we all went gaa-gaa over it. Eventually like a week later of getting hyped about it, me and my friend went to a comic/hobby store and bought a space marine squad box set. We got home totally stoked and opened the box to find that the figures come unassembled and unpainted. We felt totally deflated and disappointed, though we did have fun trying to assemble the squad with some old super glue and a nail-clipper/file.

After that though we ended up just buying pre-painted and assembled stuff on eBay and had our first game like 2 months later.
>>
>>43931259
Same
>>
>>43931309
No. It's 40k with the serial numbers filed off cause Blizzard was acting a cunt and ended up getting the license pulled on their ass
>>
File: 9477234930_88614d3573.jpg (171 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
9477234930_88614d3573.jpg
171 KB, 500x288
>>43926358
>have like 7 friends into 40K
>try getting into the table top but can't
>still fall in love with the novels and fluff
>hear about this awesome chapter of space vikings who are also werewolves
>become instant favorite chapter
>friend laughs and makes fun of me
>whatever fuck it
>flash forward a few years
>start coming on 4chan in 2008
>discover /tg/
>everyone starts yelling "yiff yiff wolf wolf" at me when I say I like the Space Wolves
>ask friend who originally laughed at me why they do that
>he explains that the majority of 40K fans are spergs
>explains a lot
>mfw
>>
>>43932422

YIFF YIFF WOLF WOLF
>>
>>43926358
My brother installed the first Dawn of War demo on our computer. I randomly decided to play it one day, and I've been a fan ever since.

Wish GW would stop making shitty mobile 40k games, I doubt they are drawing in anybody to the series.
>>
File: 1425032729878.jpg (45 KB, 475x500) Image search: [Google]
1425032729878.jpg
45 KB, 475x500
>Post yfw they actually make a HH movie series
>>
I saw that pic of Hours standing over Sanguinus' body and I google image searched it
>>
>>43932544
Freeblade is actually pretty good
>>
Friends cousin told my friends about it as a kid. I heard my friends talking about it some time after and was like "hey, are you guys talking about that wargame stuff". I knew about wargames because I had seen an article about some of those in a magazine a while earlier. We got into it together, eventually played some games. We quit at the start of 5th edition and now I and one of those friends are back at it. This time with some disposable income.
>>
>>43932422
yiff yiff wolf wolf

Also they aren't also werewolves - they're just wolf lovers that sometimes turn into wolves, and never turn back.
>>
Commissar told me to hold the line

So I did
>>
Space wolves Omnibus.
>>
>>43926428
same answer
>>
>>43926562
are you me?
>>
>>43926358
I'm pretty sure it started with the Warhammer: Age of Reckoning game, which I jumped to after I got sick of WoW while in high school.

Then I got sick of Age of Reckoning pretty quickly, but I did look into the lore (well, what little there is of Warhammer Fantasy lore online), which led me to Warhammer 40,000. I felt a greater interest in 40k because I'm more of a sci-fi guy, remembered seeing those 40k novels in the bookstores, and went to try them out.

The first one was Brothers of the Iron Snake, which was incredibly dry (and I still can't stand it to this day), but then I jumped to Ciaphas Cain (my favorite 40k series to date) and Gaunt's Ghosts (didn't like it as much as Ciaphas Cain, but way more than Brothers of the Iron Snake), and moved on from there.

Didn't get into the actual wargame until a couple years ago, though, when a GW store opened in my area and I had a disposable income.
>>
File: tumblr_nvo2cfxZpt1tlrio8o1_540.jpg (112 KB, 540x755) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvo2cfxZpt1tlrio8o1_540.jpg
112 KB, 540x755
>>43927806
>>
>>43926358
Space Marine and Dawn of War.
>>
>>43926358
Space Marine.
Looked really cool, bought it, played it
Didn't understand a ton of it
That got me into Dawn of War
Which led me to reading some of the books, and even coming to /tg/

Amazing what one game can lead you to.
>>
>>43926358
Ciaphas Cain and someone mentioning Black Crusade in the thread that spawned Oinkbane.
>>
Through its older and far more attractive brother WHFB.
>>
>>43926689
The price. Casting solved that though.
>>
>>43926358
Got a LotR starter box, there was a catalogue with a bunch of 40k stuff and the Tau army release and small blurbs of fluff. I read that catalogue like a million times and never played the actual game my parents got me, DoW kept me interested until I was in my 20s and able to buy stuff.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.