[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of being immortal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: kanji_immortal.jpg (16 KB, 325x400) Image search: [Google]
kanji_immortal.jpg
16 KB, 325x400
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of being immortal in a modern world?
>>
File: The_Boat_of_a_Million_Years.jpg (42 KB, 269x412) Image search: [Google]
The_Boat_of_a_Million_Years.jpg
42 KB, 269x412
>>43926098
You ever read this book, OP?
>>
>>43926098
Mercury poisoning and other accumulated heavy metal toxicity, enjoy being a twitching mess old man!
>>
No retirement.
>>
>>43926098

Depends on how far you stretch the Immortality. Are they just extremely long lived, or is there an aspect of regeneration/healing involved to keep their body in peak condition?

If not, enjoy slowly becoming a feeble mess.

Another issue that's occasionally overlooked is the human capacity for memory. Longer you live, the more hazy they become. I can imagine an immortal entirely forgetting their first few epochs given enough time.

As for advantages?

Well, enjoy your long term investments I guess. Depends on the setting. If it was our modern world you'd probably have to keep a low profile or expect to be experimented upon.
>>
>>43926098
Advantages are that you can live at your leisure since earning enough dosh won't be a problem with unlimited time to learn various skills.

Disadvantages are that you have to make up new identities to cover up the fact that you are an immortal.
Also expect hundreds of private companies and governments hunting you to discover the secret to immortality.
>>
>>43927949

Immortality does not bestow the urge to learn new skills, odds are an immortal is extremely lazy.

Imagine being a shoemaker for 300 years because you happen to find the job easy and well-paying.
>>
Capture becomes even worse then death: all that time you could have spent is purposefully denied to you because of majority rule; YOU'RE the constant, YOU'RE the earthshaker. Literal ants that piss on your fun.
>>
>>43926098
Anything less than immortality is a waste of time.
>>
>>43926098
you will have to see reboots of loved movied
>>
>>43928007
>Imagine being a shoemaker for 300 years because you happen to find the job easy and well-paying
>then suddenly you realize no one is paying you to make shoes because a toddler can make them more cheaply using a machine
>mfw homeless immortals
>>
>>43926098

Advantages:
>long lived, even prisons can't hold you forever
>do whatever the fuck you want since nobody can kill you
>do any drugs you want with no consequences
>could start a cult proclaiming you're a god or other divine being and change the world

Disadvantages:
>no money since you'd have to go off the grid, someone's gonna wonder why you haven't died yet after 100+ years or even your job
>forced into the black market and underbelly of society living in shelters or ditches
>can never be rich or comfortable because of no official identity
>unless we can travel to other universes at some point in the future, you're gonna live to see the heat death of the universe and ultimately every atom of your body slowly torn to shreds and be conscious enough to experience it
>>
>>43927755
a human is believed to be able to store somewhere between 10 and 100 terabytes of information, it would take a long ass time to "run out of space" so to speak, and newer information isnt neccesarily prioritized.
>>
>>43926098

There was this TV special I watched a long while ago. Living Forever with Adam Savage.

They covered just about everything in it. I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>43928651
>not just shaving and passing everything off to your 'son' every half century or so

It'd be like an extra bit of taxes to put up with every so often at worst. Sure, things might get sketchy after five generations or so, but by then you could just skip the country for a few decades.
>>
File: highlander.jpg (74 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
highlander.jpg
74 KB, 736x490
>>43926098
>What would be the advantages and disadvantages of being immortal in a modern world?
On one hand, you constantly have to have sword fights in empty warehouses. On the other hand, you constantly get to have sword fights in empty warehouses. Also, cool pyrotechnics.
>>
File: d14-13e-c531.jpg (234 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
d14-13e-c531.jpg
234 KB, 1280x720
>disadvantages
You may need to punch down a diamond wall at some point.
>>
File: maisie-williams-in-doctor-who.jpg (75 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
maisie-williams-in-doctor-who.jpg
75 KB, 858x536
>>43926098
It would depend. What would your memory capacity be?
>>
>>43927755
>>43932900
If the subject is a feasible age in the modern era, he could theoretically hold out for/invest/participate in the development of the digital storage of human memories.

Alternatively, he could do the same for technology which will "tidy up" the brain and simply store memories/experiences via alternate means.
>>
>>43928537

A friend of mine once pointed something out - the core idea behind the movie Unbreakable is somewhat sound.

If you haven't seen it - long story short, the idea is if there are people who can be born with biological defects that result in them having a shorter lifespan, then it should also be a feasible idea that there are people born with biological defects that result in them having a much longer lifespan.

It would be a shit load rarer as mutations would more often than not be debilitating and not empowering, but when you're looking at a human population peaking out at about 107 billion over human history even a one in a billion chance would have happened around 107 times statistically.

So hey, who knows - there could be biologically immortal people roaming around out there.

Though I doubt it would do anything to stop them dying of disease or injury.
>>
File: Jessica Jones Luke.png (2 MB, 975x1219) Image search: [Google]
Jessica Jones Luke.png
2 MB, 975x1219
>>43936259
Hm, interesting...
>>
You could finally finish your backlog.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.