[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: greatestkoboldwhoeverlived.jpg (884 KB, 1106x1500) Image search: [Google]
greatestkoboldwhoeverlived.jpg
884 KB, 1106x1500
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

What monster races would you like to see going forward/have you used?
>>
official goblin race?
>>
>>43924861
Seconding goblin, half goblin would be cool too.

I want to play a centaur.
>>
>>43924861
on wargs or on foot? i think the wargs would make for a better race but on foot is less likely to end in goblins being eaten by horrifying wolf creatures.
>>
File: spookytruth.jpg (50 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
spookytruth.jpg
50 KB, 480x360
Being restricted to one Path was designed to an optional rule, you can actually select whatever feature you want of the same level and it won't break the game.
>>
>>43925598
Picking features from different classes?
>>
>>43925735
Same class.
>>
>>43925598
1) citation needed
2) you got a GM who allows this horseshit? I wouldn't.
>>
>>43925245
Kek
>>
>>43925747
Nope, doesn't work. Some paths have their strongest features at different levels, cherry picking is often going to open up a superior set of options.
>>
>>43925868
Alright, roll a character that way. Go for the most broken build imaginable.
>>
>>43925598
multiclass
>>
>>43924898

My dream is to one day be able to play a centaur... :/
>>
>>43925989
Maybe when I'm off work. Some other anon pointed out the specifics I'll have to go over things again.
>>
>>43925989
Battlemaster fighter.
At 3rd level take Champions improved crit instead of student of war.
At 12th level replace relentless with superior crit.
At 18th level take the Champions super regen instead of turning superiority dice from d10s into d12s.
Almost strictly better.

And how do 1/3rd spell casters progress in your magical christmas land?
>>
>>43925989
I can't think of any reason to ever not take the great old one's create thrall over any other patron's 14.
>>
>>43926269
Not him, but I suppose it'd be a level 3 feature. If the game were actually designed around the idea anyway.
>>
>>43926269
Without student of war, you'd have to pick up the feat instead to get any maneuvers.
That's honestly not a broken build at all, you just made a straight champion with some upgraded superiority dice really.

>And how do 1/3rd spell casters progress in your magical Christmas land?

You're talking about eldritch knight I'm assuming.
Pick up the spell casting feature at level 3 or you don't. The features can still work with magic items, so they're not useless.
>>
BATTLERAGER, what the hell is this shit?
>Known as Kuldjargh (literally "axe idiot") in Dwarvish
Really?
More stereotype pls WoftC, pls we need it...
>>
>>43926299
Or you could just cast Charm on prisoners you haul around, since they always die, like a normal evil wizard.
Unless you really like a certain NPC I guess.

The feature doesn't really allow to do anything special other then give you a waifu charm.
>>
>>43926395
Student of War is proficiency with one type of artisan's tools of your choice. Combat Superiority is what gives you maneuvers.

This is bullshit because lots of classes have features that let you gain proficiency in one thing, when instead you could get something far more powerful from another archetype.
>>
>>43926471
Should be "spiky idiot".

Weak class features reliant on weird equipment. Brilliant. Still better than the level 3 tiger totem though.
>>
>>43926589
barbarian = idiot
dwarf = axe
>brilliant
I say stereotype
>>
>>43926626
That kinda defines class systems themselves, though
>>
>>43926476
This is a permanent charm though, that effectively turns another humanoid into your familiar with no save.
>>
>>43924558
That pic is probably my favourite piece of drawfaggotry on /tg/.

Sure, there are many other well done pics, but this just somehow pulls all the strings except the sexual ones.
>>
>>43924558
Goblin would be nice but I really want to see an official Minotaur race. The one posted in the UA is cool but they could definitely make improvements to it before official release. Also full orc would be cool. Last time I played a full orc I had a blast.
>>
>>43926500
Oops yes, it's called Combat Superiority.
Strange, they have Student of War as another instance of a feature you get at 3rd level. It's intended to be a package deal, or just a bad single choice.

>>43925845
>1) citation needed
PAX prime Q&A panel, 2014 I believe. They mentioned it as optional rails for new players, but they opted to not mention that in the books. They snickered and said the creative groups would take them off rails eventually and were already doing it in the playtesting, so they weren't too worried.

>2)you got a GM who allows this horseshit? I wouldn't.
All the classes have objectively best paths for certain roles already, very few players chose a path for a single ability, so maybe that one good feature might see the light of day for once.
>>
>>43924558
December's Unearthed Arcana when?
>>
File: Thamos The Alchemist.jpg (10 KB, 174x289) Image search: [Google]
Thamos The Alchemist.jpg
10 KB, 174x289
I've been thinking, and I've realized I would love to see an inquisitor or an alchemist class. Do you think either class will ever be made or are these fruitless dreams? Also When is the next official 5e book / product set to be released?
>>
>>43927034
Just refluff a Wizard to use potions instead of spells.

Instead of a spellbook, you have a recipe book.
Instead of casting Burning Hands, you sprinkle a potion forward, creating a burst of flame.
>>
>>43927056
Very true. There would be a lot of ways to refluff a wizard to make an alchemist, but I still hope they make an official alchemist. To me at least, refluffing never feels quite the same as playing the real thing.
>>
>>43924558
>What monster races would you like to see going forward/have you used?

gnoll
hags (various types)
orc
hobgoblin
goblin
changeling
medusa
gargoyle
minotaur
hill giant
harpy

Coming back to D&D after a long break, not sure which of these are already implemented in 5e. Wanna play around with idea of Drooam from Eberron for my setting with adding some more historical realism, guess this won't work out tho.
>>
>>43926639
Thralls are good for RP, although it could make your character evil depending on the NPC you're controlling. However, In combat it could get dispelled by a very simple low level remove curse, fairly common and cheap to get. You'll probably won't want the thrall to be too powerful of a humanoid, just encase you run into something like that and he start bashing your face in.

Hurl through Hell is better for straight powergaming I'd say, it's one of the most powerful and reliable single not-spells in the game.
>>
>>43927056
That's all well and good, but what stops you from giving everyone in the party a powerful spell to clusterfuck the enemy all at once?
>>
>>43927342
I think trying to avoid this situation was exactly why the UA Artificer was so shit.
>>
>>43927342
And that right there, is why alchemists and tinkers are game breakers or gimps.

Honestly, they should be crafts instead of classes.
>>
>>43927374
A sensible, balanced artificer needs to be its own class, period. Otherwise it's a dabbler, broken or a plain mess.
>>
>>43927342
>You have to drink a spell to use it, if you're not trained in it it's magic is wasted
>Several potions need to be mixed in the right order, requiring careful timing and precise mixing to deliver the desired effect, otherwise the effect fails

Oh, wait, that's almost the same as casting a spell.
Which it is.
>>
>>43926471
WotC actually didn't invent that at all.
It's from R.A Salvatore's Drizzt books, one of the dwarf characters is the original Battlerager and later there's a unit of them.

Also, though he's known for his dark elf hero I'm pretty damn sure dwarves is Salvatore's favorite race; he has more dwarf characters then any other type in his fantasy books, and they're often fairly memorable characters with weird schitcks (the dual flail-wielding dwarf....professional assassin? the communication-impaired/possibly mentally retarded dwarven druid?) and generally drive a lot of his plots forward.
>>
>>43927453
Think about what you're suggesting this guy is running around doing in combat. It's nonsense.
>>
>>43927518
Components (of spells):

Verbal (V)
A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.

Somatic (S)
A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand.

Material (M)
A material component is one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

Copied strait out of 3.5, although it works pretty much exactly the same in 5e.
>>
>>43927518
So if waving your hands in a wacky manner in the middle of combat. Drinking and casting a spell take the same action. I see no problem with this.
>>
Rate my magical item?

Bracers For Impact

Magical bracers created specifically for Dwarven Shocktroopers who would either be flown over or hurled over enemy lines to disrupt forces.

Requires Attunement
Resistance to Bludgeoning, Halves Falling damage.
>>
>>43927493
And like half of them have amusingly horrible names.
Ambergris
Pikel Bouldershoulder
Dagnabbit
Dagnabbet (Dagnabbit's daughter)
Thibbledorf Pwent
Bungalow Thump
>>
File: 1448830267050.jpg (145 KB, 969x969) Image search: [Google]
1448830267050.jpg
145 KB, 969x969
stat him/her
>>
>>43927738
Salvatore's names in general and pretty crappy I think, but I do believe he deliberately likes giving his dwarves goofy-ass names on purpose.
>>
>>43927797
-4 Str
Level 1 Commoner
Rank 1 Perform : Retarded looking dance
>>
>>43927645
Halving falling damage isn't going to do a lot of good unless you're close to the ground or high level. Resistance to bludgeoning is useful in certain niche situations, so I'd probably rate it as a Rare item.

You could just use Rings of Feather Falling instead, they mitigate falling damage better and they already exist so no homebrew needed.
>>
>>43927034
AFAIK, the next campaign which will come out next year.
>>
>>43927432
I say it's a good candidate for a prestige class.
>>
>>43928073
>prestige class

I may have to cut you
>>
>>43928100
If you could go ahead and use conversation to disagree instead of oblique threats of violence, that'd be great.
>>
'Tis the season /5eg/!

How to you stat Santa Claus as a PC in 5th edition? I'm torn between Oath of the Ancient paladin for that cheer and immortality and a Beastmaster Ranger for that Rudolph companion.
>>
>>43926299
All of the level 14 patron features suck, it's like comparing trash to garbage.
>>
>>43928125
Prestige classes are fucking terrible design, and unless you were suggesting it as a jest, you need to be conditioned pavlovian style to never, ever consider including it in a game.
>>
>>43928191
Stick to the Paladin and refluff Find Steed for your Rudolph.
>>
>>43927374
While I will complain about the affront that is UA Artificer incessantly on visible forums where WotC (might) look and derive feedback from, most of the time I try to pretend that it doesn't exist.
>>
>>43927034

Make it a Wis based caster with the cantrips create/conjure flame and control fire, create water.

And give them a focus on transmutation spells.

Two of these proficiencies: Perception, Insight, Survival , Healing.

They get to create pills which have temporary or at higher levels permanent effects on the body like fire resist, regeneration etc.

Explosive devices (mainly used for projectiles or trap devices so they are also Dex based).

Make sure they have a bit gimped in combat casting abilities making them prepare out of combat or go with the route of making them monks so they have to use Ki to cast.

Items made by them only by those with the required knowledge or perception so put a requirement of Wis 13 to use one of their items (prevents the barbarian from raining the battlefield with alchemists fire).

Basically monk who relies on poison, fire and magic pills which is kinda closer to fantasy monks how the Chinese portray them.
>>
>>43927797
Scout, MM p. 349
AC13, 16hp
Nature +4, Perception +5, Stealth +6, Survival +5
Two Shortsword attacks +4 (1d6+2 damage)
>>
i'm gonna play a barbarian/bard character, am i totally mad/DUMB?
>>
>>43927797
With that goo hanging about and taking those impractical poses i think Goo-lock Blade pact?
>>
>>43928297
But that goodberry
>>
>>43928254
We're well aware of the pitfalls of prestige classes, and if you're careful to avoid them the mechanism *can* work.

That said, alchemy belongs somewhere you can take it from low to high level.
>>
>>43928423
can bladelock have 2 "blades" from the pact?
>>
>>43928503
Not unless you invent a new invocation for it.
>>
>>43928418
You can't cast spells while raging, so two of your primary class mechanics are not compatible.
If you split them 50/50 you will be an ineffective Bard half the time and a Barbarian made of glass the other half.
If you dip Barbarian and go primarily Bard, you get a handful of features that aren't really important and you won't use effectively. I can only imagine that you want to be able to melee, in which case just be a Valor Bard and call it good.
If you dip Bard you get some spells that you'll only use when you're not fighting. Also perform.

Be a Barbarian and get Perform from your background and take the Magic Initiate feat. Or be a Bard and enter the college of Valor.

Or be a Bladesinger from SCAG.
>>
>>43928503
>>43928512
I miss double weapons.
>>
File: safety first.jpg (51 KB, 689x720) Image search: [Google]
safety first.jpg
51 KB, 689x720
what do you guys think of this homebrew: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Swashbuckler_(5e_Class)
>over powered
>under powered
>Vanilla class/multiclass X and Y does it better
>>
File: dworffort.jpg (159 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
dworffort.jpg
159 KB, 500x596
When was the last time one of your characters died /5eg/?
>>
>>43928191
Custom NPC Fae Deity or go home. Fuck Tim Allen, my Santa Claus is a demigod that rewards goodness at a time arbitrarily near Jesus's observed birthday- not some faggot in a magical suit.
>>
>>43928838
I was playing in a charity game a few weeks ago, and some of the stream watchers offered 100 dollars for a TPK. the GM engineered an encounter where ghosts were spooking all of us, and long story short, the fighter used the gnome as a bludgeon to one-shot my beloved horse, then rolled an amazing bluff to make us all think he had gone mad and was trying to kill us. The gnome got pounded, and tried to save himself by throwing up a wall of wind around himself. My dragonborn sorcerer, losing his shit, fired a souped-up fireball right in the middle of all of us, which conflagurated the wind wall and turned the whole area into a spinning tornado of fire and death.

that one round netted us 250 dollars. Felt pretty good, though I really miss playing Vibrantio.
>>
>>43928775
Eh, I'd just make a Swashbuckler Rogue.
>>
>>43928898
That sounds fun. Got a link to a recording or anything?
>>
>>43928838
last campaign. I lost a rogue/warlock and a fighter( my friends lost 2 fighter, a barbarian a monk and a rogue). DM wants op characters. So we go 2 druids, 1 sorcerer, 1 wizard, 1 life cleric, destroying evrything DM throws to us.
>>
>>43928191
I'm making an adventure where you have to save Santa Claus and the Winter Maiden, so winter comes and freezes all the orc invaders.
>>
>>43928913
I don't think so. we just used the GM's twitch URL that he normally uses to stream art he's working on. he didn't record any of it. :\
>>
>>43928906
why? What makes it better?

genuinely curious here, trying to decide between the two.
>>
>>43928465
Magic Initiate? Choose Druid, take Druidcraft for snowflakes and Control Flames to make fancy light shows.
>>
>>43927317
Thralling doesn't make someone your slave. It just means
>They can't hurt you.
>You can always talk to them.
>You have advantage on convincing them to do stuff.

In other words, it makes you that annoying friend.
>>
File: image.jpg (312 KB, 1600x1147) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312 KB, 1600x1147
>>43927199
Minotaurs for PCs exist in an unearthed arcana. The one about pirates forget what it's called.

Changelings exist (and are pretty broken) in the eberron unearthed arcana.
>>
File: sexy solaire.jpg (128 KB, 929x1249) Image search: [Google]
sexy solaire.jpg
128 KB, 929x1249
Looking at the Unearthed Arcana PDF, I can't help but feel that the Undying Light Patron is kind of overpowered? It seems like it would be nearly impossible to kill them given that they have 'searing vengeance', especially since they get it at level 6 (which is relatively low for such a useful skill imo). Obviously they can only use it once per long rest, but even if you could use it more than once, it would be very rare that you'd ever be reduced to 0 HP twice in one day.
So is it just me not accounting for something or is sun warlock OP?
>>
>>43928204
Um excuse me undying warlock can stick his or her limbs BACK on their body after they've been cut off, which as you know comes up A LOT in games run RAW.

So why don't you derelicte my fucking balls
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x694) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x694
>>43929267
A lot of unearthed arcana is unbalanced
>>
>>43929235
Guess it's this one: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (361 KB, 346x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
361 KB, 346x700
>>43929333
I blame 5e players though for all the "you die... but wait!" abilities of late. Everyone must of been writing in about how deadly 5e is (at low levels) and wotc really must of taken that to heart.
>>
>>43929367
That's the one!

Anytime friend, the Minotaur they did is pretty cool. It feels powerful without feeling overpowered. Interesting spin on the lore imo, or at least a spin I haven't seen before.
>>
>>43929367
>https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

is the rogue swashbuckler in this any different from the later, 'canon' version in that sword coast book?
>>
>>43929446
The wording for some of the features was tightened up significantly. Other than that, no.
>>
>>43929333
Guess I'll ban unearthed arcana in my campaign then, which is kind of a shame. I like most of the concepts they have but the more I read of them the more it feels like it's going to PF levels of unbalanced-ness (shut up it's a totally word). I hope they don't continue doing stuff like that, one of the main features that drew me to 5e was the fact that it's relatively balanced and yet has enough spell slots and good enough cantrips for casters to have something to do after the first 3 rounds of combat.
>>
File: the woods.jpg (55 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
the woods.jpg
55 KB, 736x460
What would be some good encounters in a Barovian forest?
>>
>>43929466
solid, so long as the mechanics aren't changed or added too, I should be fine building my character directly off the PHB and that UA article?
>>
>>43929489
I would just use discretion.

I think in 5e they set out to make a pared down game which appeals to more grognardian sensibilities. But since they made it, despite excellent reviews and what not, I imagine the user base for 5e is still mostly looking for things like laser warlocks, unkillable shadow sorcerers, etc. So I'm sure in part power creep is just because people want more and more crazy abilities. I can't blame them because it's their fantasy game, as much as it is anyone's. Idk maybe I'll just start playing Lamentations of the Flame Princess or something.
>>
>>43924558
>What monster races would you like to see going forward/have you used?
Shifters that aren't fucking shit
>>
>>43929636
The 3rd level sneak attack change was changed slightly. The creature you're attacking has to be the only creature withing 5 feet of you in order to get auto-sneakattack going.
>>
>>43929489
>unbalanced-ness (shut up it's a totally word)

Imbalance maybe? It's odd when regular words become game terms or slang, because then other regular, related words don't seem to fit.
>>
>>43929798
Imbalance would have been the right word, but it's 3am so I'm not thinking at full capacity right now lol.
>>
I need to make a d20 table of random encounters for 4 level 3 players in a Elvish kingdom, the group will travel in plains, forests and barren.

Please tell me tips to build this table and how to apply it in game.
>>
File: image.png (632 KB, 469x675) Image search: [Google]
image.png
632 KB, 469x675
>>43929579
Redcaps or other fey, demons, vampires, hags, some kind of beast men or lycanthropes, any kind of evil arcane casters or Druids, black guards, mad Knights, highwaymen, some kind of forest sculpture gargoyles or something else weird and uncanny, savage wolves, mysterious grave robbers, ghosts, will o whisps, ghouls, ghasts, wights, zombies, giant skeletons, animated suits of black armor.

But not all at once. I think of it as very sparse. A kind of ingrown and old land that is certainly haunted and unkind to outsiders. They should probably come across strange skeletons strung up in the woods, maybe a mass grave, an ancient grave yard which seems to have been plundered, the ruins of an old town, a mysterious cottage out in the woods, see a far off castle and hear weird noises, see a very very spooky cave, find a random treasure chest in the woods which is tantilizing but most certainly cursed, see an old woman weeping blood who might try to eat them, find an evil Druidic circle with Blair witch style signs surrounding it, a cult to the wolf God, towns which have too smal of populations who shutter themselves indoors at night and aren't trying to give the PCs a place to stay, but they might need to break in and hide themselves for something comes creeping in every night.

It should be blanketed and smothered by something.
>>
>>43929985
Stop using random encounters
>>
>>43929985
Make a list of 14 encounters, numbered -1 to 12. Roll 1d10.

Add +2 to the rolls at night, and -2 to the rolls during the day. This gives you encounters that only show up at night and encounters that only show up during the day. adjust numbers as you see fit.
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 1600x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 1600x540
>>43929579
>>
>>43929704
roger
>>
>>43929985
Isn't "Sylvan Forest" one of the random encounters tables in the DMG? You could use that.

It's a shame there aren't more random encounters tables.

>>43930018
What's wrong with random encounters? The party are travelling through a forest for a few days, there's a chance each day they'll run into a certain group of enemies. It's a sensible use of randomness and abstraction that keeps things interesting and dynamic (instead of "nothing happens" or "on the third day, you have to run into this encounter I made").
>>
>>43926874
Monday the 7th.

Here is a teaser https://mobile.twitter.com/mikemearls/status/671448661604343808
>>
>>43930174
>it includes spells

Thank goodness. We need more spells.
>>
What do you hope to see in DMG II, /tg/?
>>
>>43930344
more magic items

I'd rather get another Monster Manual or a setting book (Planescape, Dark Sun, or Ravenloft
>>
>>43930344
A billion and one variant rules for using 5e in different settings and genres.

Better CR calculation rules, maybe easy-to-use CR shifting rules.
>>
>>43930375
>darksun
yeeees,,,, yeeees!
>>
>>43930280
If they're for elements monks and rangers then yeah why not

>as if that would ever happen
>ever
>>
>>43930344
Are we even getting 5eDMGII?
I was pretty happy with the first one, its my all time favorite DMG, but we can expand, for sure... but so soon?
>>
>>43930441
Probably not any time soon.
>>
>>43930344
Support for various other campaign worlds that have been used in D&D's history, other than FR. Like maybe a page or two on running a 5e campaign in Eberron, Grayhawk, Ravenloft, Planescape, etc.

More optional rules for crafting monsters and better calculations for building well-balanced encounters.

List of magic items that can be found in various settings.

List of unique monsters or characters in D&D's past that have updated stat blocks for 5e.

Optional rules for epic level gaming, including class progression, 10th level and higher spell-casting, and epic level feats.
>>
>>43930452
good, I like to take it slow.
>>
>>43924558
Is it too much to ask for a Djiinblood sorcerer?
Hell, we can even make a whole combo of it, like element domains, for clerics.
>>
>>43930524
If you expect something good, then yes, it is too much to ask.
>>
>>43928775
Way too strong and overloaded. Just use the swashbuckler from the SCAG. It's fun and balanced.
>>
>>43930432
>Why WotC includes rangers in their games if they hate them so much?
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 636x358
>>43930633
It is weird in drizzy drizzit edition that they would have ranger be so whack. How does that work?
>>
Any tips or guides on how to make a valor bard (skald)?
>>
>>43930685
>yfw drizzit is a bard now
>>
>>43930690
sure
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427508-Player-s-Gonna-Play-A-Bard-s-Guide
>>
So my character is extremely racist towards orcs, and our party is currently on their way into orc country.

I feel unsure of how to play this out because being just overly hostile and racist and possibly violent towards all the orcs we're inevtiably going to see, while in character, is extremely "that-guy"-ish.
>>
>>43924558
I have a quesion, do racial spells, such as the drows dancing lights require material components?
If so, it sucks, if not, it still sucks because high elf can pick any cantripm, but not as much as needing materials.
>>
>>43930784
play as you imagine a racist redneck white guy visiting some poor urban black neoghborhood.
>>
>>43930685
Dritzit is a fighter with the Two-Weapon Fighting style and a magic item. The Beast Master ranger is a trap option to punish players who just want to be Drizzle.
>>
>>43930736
Thanks that helps alot but still abit unclear about the ability scores if i should go CHA or STR or DEX?
>>
>>43930940
Whats your race/background/stats?
>>
>>43930940
dex over str... always
>>
>>43930940
Go CHA >= Dex > Con > Everything Else unless you have heavy armor proficiency and then you can wear that and replace Dex with Str if you want.
>>
Even as a valor bard i want DEX over STR?
>>
>>43931133
yes, better armor, better initiative, better save, better ranged options
>>
>>43930784
Just don't relax, and insist on chastise belts for all the female characters.
>>
>>43931133
You use finesse weapons, they gain attack and damage bonuses from dex OR str, whatever you choose.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 420x240
>>43930940
Dexterity takes less work to make good, but if you don't want a finesse weapon obviously you need strength.

If you go strength you want to ideally either:

1) start with 14 dex to take advantage of medium armor, as medium armor caps out at +2 from dex

and/or 2) to take the heavy armor feat at level 4 (completely dumping dexterity will make your defenses kind of suck for a while though so be careful, probably still want dexterity)

Honestly Bard isn't bad for this as you can get by with not a max charisma score as your spell list is mostly buffs and healing. The bard in my party fights with weapons a lot and it's good because it lets him conserve slots for clutch plays throughout the adventuring day.

What race are you thinking of going? It kind of changes what's possible for your character stats wise form an optimization point. But I will say optimization isn't the most important thing and you should just go with what seems fun or interesting for your character.

If you go dex based I'd try to have 16s in dex and charisma, and your third highest stat in constitution.

If you go strength based you want at least 14 in strength dexterity and charisma. So if you had standard array so a 15, 14, and 13 to apply, a high elf could have 16 str 14 dex 14 con, and still have a 12 left for con. If you wanted to go the absolute madman route and pick 13 13 13 12 12 12 you could have 15 strength or charisma and 14s in the other star and dex, and at level 4 heavy armor feat gives you +1 strength. if you focus on weapons for offense and casting for buffs and healing you'll still be powerful. I hate negative stats.

Point buy you can tweak everything a bit better. That's all an example of one race. You can make it work with other races but you might want to just sit down and think about what to prioritize.

Just plan for whatever you're going to do at level 4, that's like your right hook to nail your character into place stats wise and melee versus casting capacity wise.
>>
File: image.jpg (265 KB, 1174x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265 KB, 1174x1920
>>43931257
Also as a follow up on this, get really comfortable with what your options are for bonus actions you can take. Learn which spells are bonus actions and lean on those while still swinging swords.

If you can I'd definitely start with a 16 in charisma because that can carry you pretty much the whole game while allowing you to spend level 4 and 8's ASI/feats on boosting your combat and defense abilities.
>>
>>43931257
Was thinking of half elf or (drow) (high elf)

And can i use finesse weapons with a shield?
>>
>GM uses Errata and Sageadvice to prove he's right when it suits him
>Doesn't accept them when it suits you
Fuck this shit I'm out of here
>>
>>43929991
thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>43931409
I don't see a problem with this if he makes it clear in advance.

I use those for clarification when necessary, but I'm also happy to waive certain rules or make a ruling that contradicts them. Two-weapon fighting for example. Without a feat, you can't pull out both daggers from your belt at once? It takes an action? Fuck that, you can just do it.
>>
>>43931380
Yeah you can use finesse weapons with a shield.
>>
>>43931380
Yes.

Bear in mind, however, that if you have one hand holding a shield and the other wielding a weapon, you won't have any free for gestures, arcane foci or component pouches.

Luckily, Vicious Mockery and Healing Word only have verbal components, but Cure Wounds, for instance, has a somatic component.

This may become more relevant later on when you gain additional spell options.
>>
>>43931548
Mmmk thank you this helps alot!
>>
>>43931409
Rule 0 friendo. You sound like a rule lawyer.
>>
>>43928191
What started as a halloween joke ended up with the party fighting the Great Eggplant (pumpkin), then The Dire Turkey of Tunfaire. For christmas I was thinking MechaSanta or creating a Krampus.
>>
>>43931573
>Rule 0
Rule zero is rule of cool, not "rule of whatever the fuck I say because I'm the GM and the rules agree with me, and when they don't, I'm still the law"

You can't use something to prove your point and then dismiss it when it doesn't fit your agenda.

If it were Rule 0 he would have allowed me to use my non paladin spells with smites because:
1. It's cool
2. It's in the fucking Errata
>>
>>43931847
You just seem butthurt that you can't play your mary sue character
>>
>>43931847
>rule of whatever the fuck I say because I'm the GM and the rules agree with me, and when they don't, I'm still the law

This is part of being a GM, yes. You sound like a faggot, so I don't really have much sympathy for you even if the ruling he's apparently making is that retarded. Perhaps talk to him and figure out why he won't let you use any spell slot for smites when the errata states that it's legal?

Maybe he just doesn't like you. I can't blame him.
>>
>>43931921
I already talked to him, his reasons are "no, you can't because I don't allow it", yet when other stuff is stupid as fuck (like micromanaging actions, casters full hands occupied still hasting with somatic components, etc) he uses Sage and Errata to prove that stupid stuff is how is meant to be.
>>
>>43931409
It's called double standards, your GM is a woman? they're masters of that shit.
>>
>>43931847
>Rule 0 is that the GM is always right
>Rule -1 is that everyone is supposed to have fun
>>
>>43932082
No, Golden Rule is The GM is always right
Rule 0 is the rule of cool
>>
>>43932168
Says fucking who?
>>
>>43932236
Global consensus
>>
>>43932262
Prove it, faggot.
>>
>>43932168
Have you ever considered that your GM is trying to enforce a setting?

Riding a multicoloured pony while playing a guitar and firing arrows at my opponents with it's strings might be cool as fuck to some people - But for your DM, you're shitting all over his Grimdark Old Times Fantasy Setting (which you agreed to play in, because you are in the game) because you want to be "cool".
>>
File: download (13).jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (13).jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>43932262
[citation needed]
>>
File: Flowey the Flower!.jpg (37 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Flowey the Flower!.jpg
37 KB, 1920x1080
>>43930820

No they don't. It's not said anywhere that they cast in the same way as a spell, and I'm pretty sure any DM worth his salt will not make you carry bat shit or whatever around just to cast your inborn magic.

But that's ok! Because I'm your best pal! Flowey, the Flower!
>>
>>43932298
>Grimdark old times fantasy setting
>The multicolor-haired gnome can somatic spells even though he has both hands occupied with two staves and a wand because Errata/Sage says so
>I can't smite with my sorcerer spells because reasons

I didn't sign for this faggotry, I sign for a "fun game", and that's why I'm leaving.
>>
>>43932571
Thank you for your service Anon, it takes a strong man to admit he's not right for a group.
>>
>>43932363
uh..... ok, thanks.
>>
>>43932571
Anon I agree with and support your position fuck that guy

I've had to argue with my DM a few times about basic shit but luckily there's another player who backs me up on most things so it's gone okay but it makes me worried for the future.
>>
>>43929375
I don't know. I think the 4E epic destiny abilities that trigger when you die were all great.
>Once per day, when you die...
Is just a great line to have on an ability, I say.
>>
>>43932571
>Throwing a bitch fit because he can't play his special snowflake
kek
>>
I'm hearing a lot about UA being unbalanced/bad. How unbalanced is it now? Should it be banned from the table before it turns the game into PF?
>>
>>43930784
Be civil, but make offhanded comments about their culture and their savagery.
>>
>>43932651
The joke is Flowery is a little shit and is giving you bad advice, mate.
>>
>>43932992
UA isn't uniformly balanced or unbalanced, it's a mixed bag. Ban or allow what suits your game.
>>
>>43932992
Some stuff are ok, other are obviously broken, either underpowered (Shifter, Artificer, etc) or overpowered (Changelling, Ambuscade Ranger, Shadow sorcerer)

Ban it? I dunno, I'd probably work with my players till we reach a consensus, I don't like to simply ban a source because a few stuff is broken.
>>
>>43932992
UA basically isn't playtested. Some of the shit is overpowered in the hands of optimized build powergamers. Most of it isn't in practice. If you don't have any one powergaming, or your DM is unwilling to nerf abuse cases you probably shouldn't use UA.
>>
>>43933063
So.... the DM should ask for components for natural spells?
>>
>>43933122
Sorry, fucked up the last sentence. Should be "if you have someone powergaming, or"
>>
Am I crazy or is the new UA not up yet?
>>
>>43933162
the first Monday of the month

yesterday was the 30th

the 7th brah
>>
File: CUHP0lVUAAEfaYc.png-large.png (460 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
CUHP0lVUAAEfaYc.png-large.png
460 KB, 400x800
If I wanted to create an evil wizard as a monster for the party to fight, how would I CR that? How would I even create it? Would it be just using a normal PC wizard or using the MM rules? If the former, how would I figure out its CR.
>>
>>43933140
Oh, shit, no, I miss-read. Damn it, Pavlovian response is a hard thing to break.

No, the advice there is dead on.
>>
>>43933301
Do not use a PC wizard. Look at the wizard in the MM and change it as needed.
>>
File: fiendish sorcerer.jpg (63 KB, 514x600) Image search: [Google]
fiendish sorcerer.jpg
63 KB, 514x600
/tg/, I'm designing an alternate hellfire sorcerer bloodline for a friend. I know the go to move is to refluff the Draconic mechanics into whatever, but I love giving options to players, and this seems like a good opportunity to stretch some creative muscles. So far I got:

HELLFIRE BLOODLINE
Your innate magic springs from your abyss tainted blood. Most hellfire sorcerers trace their lineage to ancestors who cavorted and bargained with dark powers, or meddled in the realm of fiends itself.

FIENDISH ANCESTOR
At 1st level, you speak, read, and write Abyssal. Additionally, as an action, you can sense dark and light beings. Until the end of your next turn, you know if a celestial or fiend is within 120 feet of you, unless they have magically concealed their identity and their level or CR is higher than yours. You do not know the type, number, or location.
If you sense alerts you to any fiends or celestials, you cannot use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

I'm thinking of adding a mini helish rebuke. Any ideas are appreciated.
>>
>>43933291
Yep! I'm insane!
>>
>>43933330
Does a wizard made as a monster use a tome of spells? Like a PC wizard does? Trying to figure out how exactly they work.
>>
>>43933332
That's a pretty shite first level ability for a sorcerer, m8. Unless you were planning on that being the ribbony party.
>>
>>43933301
Take the Archmage out of the MM
Change the name to Evil Wizard
Change the spells if you want

You did it!
>>
>>43933340
Absolute madman!
>>
File: wizard.jpg (173 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
173 KB, 1067x1600
>>43933301
>how would I CR that?
depends on your group. use the Xp. refer to the chart on page 82 of the DMG.

> How would I even create it?
stating up an NPC/enemy as a character is a pain in the ass imo.

the MM has an appendix for human npc/enemies starting on page 342. Archmage (CR12) and Mage(CR 6). use those as a template and tweak spell list, skills, stats, etc as desired
>>
>>43933392
Probably not the same way but you can make him value his spell book. Spell books are only used for rituals which the party won't ever see most likely in a mechanical sense (maybe they stop some dark ritual) and for preparing spells, which NPC evil wizards don't really need to do and if they do it won't rly ever effect the parties interactions with him.
>>
>>43933392
Usually, if only so the PC wizard can crib it/the party can sell it. Unless you swap his Int and Cha and call him a sorcerer.
>>
File: Mike Katz.jpg (27 KB, 365x460) Image search: [Google]
Mike Katz.jpg
27 KB, 365x460
>>43924558
Hmm I need some help, I'm going to be DM'ing a game and I really need to know how many encounters a group can handle before a long rest.

I don't want to give them too many long rests but i'm ok with short rests.
>>
>>43933401
I'm planning on adding a second 1st level, all the sorcerers do. What do you think of a 1 sorcery to do something along the lines of hellish rebuke?
>>
File: Flowey The Dickface.png (2 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
Flowey The Dickface.png
2 KB, 128x128
>>43933323

In this world... IT'S POST OR DON'T POST
>>
>>43933332
For this, you may want to refer to the Modifying Classes UA. Indeed, one of the classes they modified as an example was the sorcerer. Some of their comments were as such:
>[...]at 1st level, an origin provides not only the explanation for the source of the sorcerer’s power, but also a flourish on the way that character plays.
Therefore, they gave the Favored Soul an expanded spell list, with the proviso that other features wouldn't expand it further. They also gave it weapon and armor proficiencies since it's supposed to be martially-oriented.
>At 6th level, the other sorcerous origins provide features that have an impact on the character’s combat abilities. Looking at the bard class, we can see that the College of Valor gains the Extra Attack class feature at the same level, and we decide to give that to the Favored Soul to further enhance its martial bent.
>At 14th level, the sorcerous origins provide some measure of utility, with little direct impact on spellcasting or combat capabilities.
So they slapped on Draconic's wings.
>At 18th level, the sorcerous origins provide options that are both potent and strongly linked to the origin’s central theme. Since the sorcerer will have access to higher-level spells at this level, and the feature we gave it at 1st level to provide some cleric spells won’t have as much of an impact, we decide to tie this class feature to those cleric spells
So they threw on self-healing when a spell poached from the cleric list is cast - a shitty capstone like all the other sorcerer subclasses have.

So, for most of the features, you want to have something that is at least somewhat helpful in combat.

What sort of feel are you hoping to achieve with this bloodline? Hard-to-kill fiendish resilience? Self-harm for massive damage? Contracts, deceptions and other indirect effects?
>>
>>43933610
Depends on their level really
>>
>>43933758
>>
>>43930018
I don't see why.

>>43930035
This is a awesome idea ideed.

>>43930092
Thank you.
>>
>>43933765
then you should allow them to take a breather from time to time.
But it's all up to you
>>
File: X Party X.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
X Party X.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>43933610
Depends on the party size, party level, party gear, and what type of characters they are.
If you have the standard 4 person party with a healer, a caster, a bow user, and a tank, it could range between 2 and 4 encounters before they need a long rest. Higher levels with better gear could push this up to a range between 3 and 7.
Luck also plays a fair factor. if people are rolling very good they could push on an extra encounter or 2.
>>
>>43933725
That's a lot of good advice thank. As for feel, I'm thinking something along the lines the movie Carrie, but I would like to tie into the teifling background, as in you have made the same pact that cursed their own lineage.

Mechanically I'm thinking of using sorcery points to enhance hellish rebuke ans spells of that nature.
>>
>>43933725
I really like how this advice is basically made up with no relation to what the sorcerer's origin abilities actually do or are good for.
>>
>>43933901
>everyone is white
>>
>>43934494
And?

>>43934251
What advice would you give then?
>>
>>43934494
What
>>
>>43934539
>all the girls are wearing skirts
>>
Visiting a friend in a few days and hopefully playing in a one shot with him and a few randomers, can anyone recommend something fun to play for that short time?
>>
>>43924558
What is the best route to take in underdark?
My party is almost getting to the black lake.
>>
>>43934574
DnD 5e
>>
>>43934565
Ease of access?
>>
>>43934574
Level?

Regardless I recommend the half/third casters (Ranger, Paladin, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster). You won't play long enough to get bored of you limted casting, but you'll also get the joy of potent mundane combat.
>>
>>43934494
The ox is brown.
>>
>>43934611
Preach it brother!

>>43934494
>The halfling is wearing boots

>>43934565
>all the girls are female
>>
File: TheMoreYouKnow.jpg (132 KB, 549x362) Image search: [Google]
TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
132 KB, 549x362
>>43934494
Black people rarely complete the college education the market requires of adventures these days leading many of them to seek other employment such as town guard or mercenary.
>>
>>43934601
Sloobludop, then Gracklestugh, then Neverlight Grove and finally Blingdenstone. It's a logical progression based on what's closest to where you are currently, and it'll set you up on the route you need to get to the surface while also having all the information you want for the second half of the adventure.
>>
>>43934574
Pick a adventure from the adventurers league, from OPs link.
Pickone that fits your taste.
>>
>>43934672
Arent bards just singing hookers?
>>
>>43934677
Gracklestugh is the duergar city, right?
We just got the waifublade, but I kind want to be better equipped, since Im notthe one using it and our equippment is still mostly shit.
Are there lots of magic items there?
>>
I am currently running a Warlock (10th level) and in most fights the bulk of my damage is coming from EB (which, as far as I know, is the right way to play warlock, but feel free to enlighten me). Between stats and other stuff, my damage is usually as follows:

1d10 force + 1d6 necrotic (hex) + 6 necrotic (agonizing blast) + 1 poison (random item I picked up along the way, my DM is pretty cool).

Given this damage breakdown, what situations/enemies is my EB not going to be a very useful tool? I don't have a great knowledge of the MM or anything, so I don't know off the top of my head if zombies don't take necrotic damage or something like that. I'm gonna dig through it in a little bit, but in the meantime I was hoping people here might have input.
>>
>>43934748
There are a few magic items there's also a pet red dragon if you play your cards right but the city is a major metalworking settlement so there's also ample opportunity to get your hands on regular armour/weapons for yourselves and your companions. If your DM is like I was and kept the player relatively starved of equipment and mostly improvising or using whatever they found then it's a wonderful opportunity to get some gear worth a damn. Then again I also gave them a fair bit of treasure from encounters.
>>
>>43934766
At level 5 you do two beams level 11 three beams and level 17 four beams
>>
>>43933610
I have a similar but entirely different problem. How the fuck do I MAKE my characters not take long rests for 6-8 battles or whatever the fuck the dmg suggests?!
>>
>>43934766
The answer is 'almost none'

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage
>>
ayy yo, anyone got that picture of that one guy looking at a sheet of paper saying "shit son, you've only got 1 int"?
>>
>>43934766
>Given this damage breakdown, what situations/enemies is my EB not going to be a very useful tool? I don't have a great knowledge of the MM or anything, so I don't know off the top of my head if zombies don't take necrotic damage or something like that. I'm gonna dig through it in a little bit, but in the meantime I was hoping people here might have input.

One of the strengths of EB is that it's almost always useful, Necrotic resistance isn't that common except on higher level undead and celestials.
>>
>>43934807
Yeah, we are starving, thisrty and poor, we will barely able to rent a boat in sloobladop.
Thanks for the advice, anon!
>>
>>43934851
>we will barely able to rent a boat in sloobladop.

I wouldn't worry about renting a boat there, stealing one should be easy enough. Without giving away spoilers there's a major distraction that comes up and you could take advantage of it to nab a vessel.
>>
>>43934817
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to prevent your party from taking a long rest between every encounter.

This depends on your adventure design and how you stage your encounters. In a dungeon (or similar) where they're making along a path with an encounter every few rooms you should interrupt long rests with enemies or punish them by increasing the difficulty. The rest of the dungeon has been alerted to the adventurers at some point in that eight hour interval and now they ambush them while they sleep (spoiling the rest) or set up better defensive positions/traps.
If your encounters are isolated from eachother, put a time limit on the objective which prevents them from taking a fifteen minute workday.
>>
>>43934766
>>43934841
Yeah, as far as damage applicability goes warlocks are set. There's a whole ONE creature in the monster manual that has immunity to Force damage (which your eldritch blast deals) and no enemies resist it.
So long as your blast deals respectable damage (and it will - Warlocks get to add their modifier to each individual ray, so your blast goes from 1d10+CHA to 2d10+2*CHA and so on) you don't need to worry about whetehr you'll have a useful damage ability.
So just focus on your utility.
>>
>>43934766
How are you doing 6 damage from agonizing blast? The max you can get from it is 5 when you charisma is maxed out.

Also eldritch blast gets multiple beams past level 5, and each beam can trigger hex on its own, so you should be doing double that each turn.
>>
>>43934494
It's because shield dwarves are shit.

Get it together, Wizards.
>>
>>43934494
That's probably the most random thing anyone has every responded to my posts with.
>>
>>43934810
I did know this, I was just referring to damage per beam in the hopes of achieving clarity.

>>43934825
>>43934841
>>43935090
This is kinda what I figured. We're going up against some undead stuff next session (or at least have the opportunity to) and I want to make sure necrotic damage isn't going to fuck us up or anything.

>>43935095
I don't know if this is strictly by the books, but in our campaign, our DM has played by the rules that 20 is the max that a stat can be naturally, but an item could boost above that. I've got a pirate hat granting +2 to CHA, getting me to 22 and therefore a +6. He's also making sure we can't just go out and buy whatever magic item we want, which another DM of mine (3.5, which makes it worse) is basically hands off on - if we can afford it, we can buy it. I didn't realize how immersion-breaking that was until I played in a campaign where the only things you could just *buy* in town were the things listed in the PHB, and not even all of those all the time.

tl;dr: It's either a different interpretation of 20=max or just a regular houserule.
>>
>>43935095
>>43935295 (me)
Also worth noting that we played with a more powerful distribution available than normal. I think everyone started with an 18 in one stat, or at least had the means to if they wanted it.
>>
Hey guys, I used the monster creation rules in the DMG and applied them to monsters in the book. Apparently goblins are actually CR 1?
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 253x121) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4 KB, 253x121
>>43935373
Math here
>>
>>43935373
The MM's CR is derived from playtesting and the DMG's math is (I assume) averaged out from there. There are a fair few stat blocks with the wrong CR, but most of them are at least pretty close. It gets foggy in the CR 1/8 to CR 1 range most often.
>>
>>43935248
As much as it's shitposting, there is kind of a point since FR elves are supposed to have weird skin colors.
>>
File: k72vxiT.jpg (132 KB, 689x1000) Image search: [Google]
k72vxiT.jpg
132 KB, 689x1000
Gentlemen, what is the ritual to turn a PC into a lich?
Do their stats change or do they just turn immortal?
Do I have to be evil? I just want to read books forever
>>
>>43935610
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>43934539
I like the advice. I just wonder where this advice was when they designed the dragon sorc and wild mage paths in the first place.
>>
Why is 5e so casual?
>>
>>43935610
>Gentlemen, what is the ritual to turn a PC into a lich?
Varies from wizard to wizard, all involve phylactery.
>Do their stats change or do they just turn immortal?
There's no template for it in 5e so /shrug
>Do I have to be evil?
Nope, becoming a lich is frequently an evil act though.
>>
>>43935610
Well, in 3.5, there were basically two requirements.

1) Be Humanoid.
2) Be capable of creating a phylactery.

The Lich’s Phylactery

An integral part of becoming a lich is creating a magic phylactery in which the character stores its life force. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a lich for sure is to destroy its phylactery. Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death.
Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.
The most common form of phylactery is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed. The box is Tiny and has 40 hit points, hardness 20, and a break DC of 40.
Other forms of phylacteries can exist, such as rings, amulets, or similar items.

There's tons of of other ways to become a lich in other settings though, like a curse/blessing from a god.
>>
>>43935610
Stat changes :

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.
Armor Class: A lich has a +5 natural armor bonus or the base creature’s natural armor bonus, whichever is better.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2. Being undead, a lich has no Constitution score.

And then a buttload of supernatural abilities, natural attacks, etc.
>>
File: 1441766184706.jpg (152 KB, 570x855) Image search: [Google]
1441766184706.jpg
152 KB, 570x855
Hey guys
I have a DM question: How do you guys deal with mapping?
I mean, I have the full map of the dungeon behind the screen, secret doors and notes etc, and every time the PCs enter into another room I grab their map and overlay over my own and draw the contour of the room and mark obvious doors.

This feels clunky as shit, and doesn't really work well on non-square rooms (think irregular caves).

Any ideas?
>>
Quick Dumb Question:

If you were to built a character for a one off PvP event which Class/Race would you roll.

For fairness let's assume everyone is level 12
>>
>>43936022
Probably any Paladin, maybe Open Hand or Undying Monk

What sort of PvP? Group? 1v1s?
>>
>>43936022
Wood Elf Rogue, because I've heard it's overpowered.
>>
>>43935971
tell them to map their own map by just your description, and when you're satisfied with what they think is the map, you continue and pull a "you didn't check the wall dipshit"
>>
>>43936022
half Orc vengeance paladin. Hold person and smite

I guess halfling moon Druid has an ok shot, or any other race but halflings don't get to roll 1s... But Druids are probably hard to get through all those animal HP even without level 20 onion druidiness.

I want to say a barbarian has an okay shot but a player would have a really good shot of preventing them from raging effectively.
>>
>>43936216
Group like six man free for all, think Battle Royale
>>
>>43935971
One player takes the role of the mapper. Their character has parchment and a pencil. You hand them a sheet of graph paper and say, "The ten-foot wide corridor continues on for thirty feet, then opens up into a thirty-foot by thirty-foot room."

Mapping is one of those D&D sacred cows that still exists, but newer editions are afraid to explain. As a result, it puts more pressure on the DM to come up with something. Just have a dedicated mapper, problem solved.
>>
File: Tarkus The Juggernaut.jpg (19 KB, 236x431) Image search: [Google]
Tarkus The Juggernaut.jpg
19 KB, 236x431
>>43935971
My Dm draws the whole map ahead of time if its a big dungeon that will last the entire session and covers it with sheets of paper, moving and removing them as needed.

>>43936022
I would make a Human Battle Master Fighter.
Assuming I could get to my opponent in 1 turn I would be set.
>>
>>43935749
Curious, so the player lowers their own xp about 5000 to make the phylactery? Will that lower their level if it goes under a level threshold?
>>
>>43935811
All those things are wrong though.

Especially no Con score, what? What is wrong with you?
>>
File: Rolen Nailo The Magic Nobleman.jpg (220 KB, 1045x956) Image search: [Google]
Rolen Nailo The Magic Nobleman.jpg
220 KB, 1045x956
>>43936247
In that case, I would make a High Elf Bladesinger Wizard. Use AoE spells at the beginning to knock everyone low and use haste and mirror image to make myself really hard to hit while being able to spam cantrips and attacks.
>>
>>43936247
If it's a free-for-all, just teleport away or become undetectable until everyone else is dead.
>>
File: fullmap.png (546 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
fullmap.png
546 KB, 600x600
>>43936254
>Mapping is one of those D&D sacred cows that still exists
Mapping is absolutely essential what are you on about?

>we made a left then a right then went on for 40 yd then left then across a room..
>hurr durr theater of the mind
>>
>>43936392
None of it is wrong. If you followed the chain of comments, you'd realize he was talking about 3.5, which has the most Lich documentation available at the moment.

>>43936314
Yes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.