[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you know good dark/horror fantasy settings?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Do you know good dark/horror fantasy settings?
>>
They're a dime a dozen nowadays.
>>
>>43919142
Meh. Fantasy is heroic, horror is not. You can have horror flavored fantasy, although Victorian steampunk appears more popular atm. But fantasy flavored horror? Scifi flavored horror is a more natural fit.

I know Ravenloft, I wouldn't call it good. Played it to death when that Photoshop Dracula came out.

There's Invictus, but beyond the Mythos stuff it really tries to portray Roman times historically accurate - not really fantasy.
>>
>>43919142
Does Hellboy count? I feel it'd be a great setting to play in.
>>
>>43922992
I agree, partly because it just kinda takes parts of other settings/myths it likes and sticks it in.

It's a lot of fun.
>>
File: LotFP Rules Book (no art).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Rules Book (no art).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43919142
>>
>>43923341
This is not a setting, dood.
>>
Counts Bloodborne as Dark Fantasy?
>>
>>43919142
MtG Innistrad?
>>
>>43922928
Darkest Dungeon does the Lovecraftian Fantasy thing pretty well.
>>
>>43925900
Absolutely. You don't have to be medieval to be fantasy.
>>
>>43923341
>Races as classes
>>
My preferred setting is low-magic fantasy horror. I really love gritty, shitty dark stories. I guess this is why I really loved old WHFB. There's something really satisfying about the feel of the stories. There's no fantastical battles, no glory and riches. Just a bunch of burnt out, rough and tumble men and women trying to find something they can own in this shitty world. And will risk life and mind for it because "being dead is better than the alternative"
>>
>>43925967
This, if you like fabulous hats.
>>
File: bloodbrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bloodbrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43919142
I made up this one, you can use it if you want.

it's not done but people seem to think its okay...
>>
File: 2014-09-19-674256.jpg (176 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-19-674256.jpg
176 KB, 750x1000
>>43919142
Gormenghast
The Night Land (far future post-apocalyptic
Innistrad
Castlevania
Vampire Hunter D (post-apocalyptic tech as well)
Ravenloft
Hellboy (Esp. Edward Grey, Witchfinder-"In the service of angels" is amazing)
Nightbane, if you ever want to go maximum 90s
D. Gray-Man
GURPS Cabal
GURPS Infinite Worlds:
-Leviathan, where mankind circa 1812 fights a losing battle against a hyper-advanced race from the deep
-any of the more medieval Gotha parallels, where zombies are a never-ending problem
-Nergal, where Assyrian priests use dark sorceries and mass sacrifice to slowly pry open the gates of hell
-Tsarevich, where things are downright weird and a sky-beast lives 20,000 feet above the alps, corrupting airmen into its service (basically all the horror movies)
-Duzakh, where persia faces off against an onslaught of vampire etruscans
-Taft-1, where in 1927 Stalin "signed his name in the book of Azathoth" and now menaces the world with strange powers. (much of this backstory is secret)
>>
A good setting is the Legacy of Kain setting.

Don't know what sort of system you would use to play in it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.