[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despair Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: despiar.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
despiar.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
I'm roadblocked to hell and back and now I'm at the point where I'm overthinking things. I'm running a Traveller game and I need a soft/hard science type of space travel that's faster than Jumping.

If you have a roadblock post here.
>>
>>43916043
>I need a soft/hard science type of space travel that's faster than Jumping.
That time-space "folding" engine thing from Event Horizon?
>>
>>43916043
So you need something that is faster than jumping to the speed of light that is still grounded in science somewhat?
>>
>>43916229

sounds plausible at least. My players like to think they are very logical in their thinking but you know...players. I've sorta murking about with the 'shadow on the moon moves faster than SoL'
>>
>>43916043

You could always use the "hole in space" trope.

Have something like a gateway that allows objects to cheat relativity by "falling through" spacetime when they go through it.

It's not super-scientific, but it's just theoretical enough without becoming too fantastical.

Plus it introduces elements you can add in the game, like who controls these gateways? Does anyone control them? Are there tolls to go through them? Do pirates hang out near them? Where do they go? Are there mystery ones that haven't been discovered yet?
>>
File: event-horizon15.jpg (87 KB, 772x397) Image search: [Google]
event-horizon15.jpg
87 KB, 772x397
>>43916155
Because that worked so well
>>
>>43916320

I want something that's not so easily accessible bandits would patrol them or even be public knowledge. My premise is that the players had a misJump on an epic level scale and they ended up a kiloparsec away on another tendril of the galaxy and the players can either (a) spend the rest of their lives making countless Jumps back or (b) find another type of faster than light, faster then Jump travel.
>>
>>43916372
So OP either makes the engine work as intended or switches gears to horror, big whoop.
>>
>>43916463

Also I have to mention that in one desert adventure I totally put Graboids in as desert enemies and my friend called me out on it incessantly so I want to avoid cribbing off of any other Hollywood movies.
>>
>>43916300
OH ho, so you need plausible sounding bullshit? That's my specialty!

-Hyper-conductors. After study showed that the speed of light could be reduced by refracting it through specific materials, some scientists, motivated partly by Futurama jokes, started searching for a crystal matrix comparable to a electrical superconductor. The eventual result was dubbed the "hyperconductor", and has had some startling effects on travel, as the unprecedented energy output results in a distortion of space-time dubbed the "Corales effect", where, essentially, the ship is coalesced into a temporary wave function in this universe, its matter shunted into a quantum dimensional tangle.

Precautions have to be taken to leave at the proper point of amplitude in the wave function, or matter-distortions occur. This makes the drive useless for pinpoint maneuvering, as it's unlikely to reach the point of amplitude at the exact location, but it's useful in getting you near enough to the target more conventional engines can compensate.

Another option:

The "Coal-Miner" Drive. Essentially a supercomputer with an incredible power supply, and a contained vent port for particle analysis, this device exploits quantum tunneling effects to traverse great distances, by following quantum tunneling elections and other subatomic particles closer to the destination.

While individual jumps are faster-than-light, the drive has the issue of erratic velocity. In short, the ship is stationary until an appropriate quantum-tunneling particle is located, then the ship tunnels behind it. As such, the ship might make a single jump directly to the location, it may make a series of jumps moving ever closer, it may sit unmoving for two days, jump two feet closer, wait a week, then make a inter-galactic jump. It's impossible to predict when particles will tunnel and to where until the event is occuring, so the travel times vary wildly. This makes supply estimates and planning nigh-impossible.
>>
>>43916671

Anon.
My nigger.
Mah nigga.

Just enough words and BS that will cause my players to nod their heads in confusion.
>>
>>43916043
You can start by spelling your filenames correctly.
>>
>>43916817
No problem, man. I once made a friend essentially $100 just by listing various ideas at him. He was interested in working on a potential app for some new Google tech that knew its own exact position. GPS AND elevation, and Google was accepting proposals to be given the toolkit (normally $100) to see if your app had potential. I just threw out the first 5 or 6 ideas I had to use that kind of tech, and he took one, proposed it to Google, and they sent him the kit.

NOW, for my roadblock:

I'm working on an adventure/campaign for a couple friends, probably going to run it online. The big issue I have is, so far, the group is a little...well, weird, for the game idea. Now, if I got a couple other players, I'm certain we could get a mix capable of handling "normal" stuff, but , as it stands, I don't know how to build to this.

The specifics: My friend wanted an "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" style game, because he and I like the show. (Mostly. The show has quite an erratic quality level.)

Anywho, the base idea seems easy enough. SHIELD Agents taking on Super-crimes and stuff, working in the Marvel universe. I got myself a nice Commander for the team to answer to, I worked out a potential arch-villain, and grabbed a system I thought would fit the setting. (Spycraft 2.0. Yeah, it's a fiddly crunch-fest, but I think it fits the "near-future" tech level of the setting)

Then, the first two players turned in a midget Detective, and a super-scientist as their characters.

I'm just kind of at a loss on how to really make adventures that cater to those two. Like, My sketch of the first adventure is:
-Called to investigate a crime scene to determine which super, if known, did the crime.(this plays to the Detective, Scientist can use some skills to be helpful)

-Locate the Silver Samurai (the criminal who did it) and hunt him down. (Again, this is pretty inside their wheelhouse.)

(cont)
>>
>>43917122

I dunno about Agents of SHIELD but a detective should easily be hired by various agencies trying to find dirt/weaknesses/information on mysterious superpowered people. Or maybe he's called onto cases that have a supernatural element to the case, obviously something outside the scope of regular cops. A scientist can easily create some sort of super prototype that higher ups may find useful but the scientist stipulates that he's the only one allowed to field test it.
>>
>>43917122

That's where things get wonky.

See, the logical next step is "Capture or convert the Samurai". But neither of these guys have very good social skills beyond intimidate, and, without researching how strong gadgets get in combat, I don't think they're very good in a fight. Sure, I could have it be like "Set-up a series of traps", or "call in some SHIELD cops to handle it" but that feels a little distancing.

I'd also like some sort of daring chase/intrigue section, where they have to transport or hide the Silver Samurai while his (potentially previous) allies try to take him back (or out).

I just worry that they're going to have trouble contributing to the higher-action sections, and therefore feel left out, but I don't know how to keep exciting action with a team that, well, isn't good at physical action.

I think I'm just over-reacting because I haven't made a third character with the other player yet.

But, should he pick something a little out there, how do you make things high-intensity, while being stuck to things like "hacking/counter-hacking", "Researching cures to biological agents", and that sort of thing.
>>
>>43916300
Node Drive. They can travel much faster than jump drives but only to places that are connected via cosmic string nexus.

>>43917296
Do you have netflix (or torrent)? Watch the show Fringe. FBI agent girl, roguish guy, and his father the mad scientist try to stop superscience terrorists.
>>
>>43916043
I've toyed with a sci-fi propulsion based on the principle of quantum tunnelling. The idea is that if a particle has no fixed place and then neither has an entire ship.

The drive element is two fold. First a computer simulates a universe that is identical to our own aside from the difference that the ship is at it's intended destination, it works back from this to determine the appropriate boundary conditions of this universe.

Secondly, a strange entangled particle on the ship is manipulated to so as to make the minor change so early in the history of the universe that the result is that the universe we all inhabit is the same as the one initially simulated.

Ran into problems when I realised that this would be an effective civilisation destroyer as well as an neat mode of transport.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.