[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is bronzepunk a thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 12
File: Gavel Moss SOP.jpg (427 KB, 800x556) Image search: [Google]
Gavel Moss SOP.jpg
427 KB, 800x556
Is bronzepunk a thing?
>>
No, but ___spunk is a thing.
>>
No.
>>
>>43912801
It is now
>>
Low-tech fantasy?
>>
Probably not, which means you are now in charge of creating that entire genre. Enjoy your newfound power.
>>
File: 2343634343.png (312 KB, 536x528) Image search: [Google]
2343634343.png
312 KB, 536x528
>>43912814
>>
>>43912840
Oh shit.

Megacorporations in bronze towers control the bronze trade. A few nomads with meagre bronze axe (plus the odd stone axe or cudgel to fill out the ranks) aim to take them down.
>>
>obligatory I'M SO MAD AT YOU FOR CALLING THIS X-PUNK post
>>
>>43912877
Do they have to be megacorporations in bronze towers? That's just cyberpunk with some ancient themes. You could've at least made city states.
>>
>>43912801
So....ancient China?
>>
Steampunk is about magic steam. Cyberpunk is about tech-like magic.

So... Magic bronze? That dose what?
>>
>>43912877
Nah you gotta start with the fundamental properties of bronze. It's pretty malleable, so the main reason why people would use it is because it's probably the hardest metal they can make.

Which everything below bronze on the Moh's scale is probably fair game, like gold, silver, brass, copper, aluminum, lead, etc. Taking those into account, what technology could you incorporate using your limited metals, then determine what would develop in the absence of other stuff like steel and iron.
>>
>>43912921
Well it could be between the two.

Maybe the city-states have big bronze monoliths, just because?
>>
>>43913014
Ziggurats. Bitches love Ziggurats.
>>
>>43912801
No. It's just bronze-age tech. Please don't try to be clever and think that you've invented bronzepunk when it's just bronze age in a certain culture.
>>
>>43912877
>not actual ivory towers
1 job
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 443x329) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 443x329
Stonepunk when?
>>
>>43913292
Punkpunk when?
>>
>>43913292
So Druidic magic stones? Also see hordes -circle
>>
>>43913292
That's just the fucking flintstones
>>
File: hand-human.png (163 KB, 538x351) Image search: [Google]
hand-human.png
163 KB, 538x351
>>43913292
Handpunk when?
>>
OK, it's official, -punk officially means fucking nothing now.
>>
>>43913402
Thumbpunk. Those without opposable thumbs taking down those with opposable thumbs.
>>
>>43913440
That sounds awfully like a sexual thing
"I'm gonna handpunk you so hard that you'll cry in ecstasy"
>>
>>43913440
I intentionally tried to tie the bronze element into the punk element a few posts in.

Stop assuming the worst of people, Anon. We can still have ___punk without every single person misunderstanding or ignoring the punk element.
>>
>>43913464
>cavemen with only their hands fighting against giant prehistoric beasts with claws and fangs

That sounds pretty fun.
>>
>>43913014
You are scum living in Rome kill the corrupt senator to try and change things
>>
>>43913605
Rome was iron age, not bronze age.
>>
>>43913556
The problem is that real life was already bronzepunk. There's not a whole lot you can do to bring it closer to cyberpunk themes.

Frankly, you'd be better off looking at steelpunk. When the Assyrians discovered steel, they were a podunk, second-rate empire. Overnight they turned into vengeful superpower with its very own superweapon, and cut a swath of destruction across the ancient world.
>>
>>43913723
Real life right now is cyberpunk. That doesn't mean we can't explore and exaggerate it in fiction.
>>
>>43912801
Dunno. Look out of my thread and we'll see, once bronze is discovered.
>>
>>43913402
Primatepunk.

>>43913464
Thumbs are OP
>>
>>43912801
Roman era is Humanpunk.

Spartacus and Eunus were PCs.
>>
File: confused-by-math.png (10 KB, 133x129) Image search: [Google]
confused-by-math.png
10 KB, 133x129
>>43913008
Um... no? Cyberpunk is high tech, low life. Steampunk is alternate history where Victorian predictions of the future came true. Those are the most basic definitions of the two genres. Actual works within those genres can vary from that definition, but Girl Genius* and Shadowrun are both exceptions, not rules.

*shut up Phil gaslamp fantasy is not a thing
>>
>>43913008
Cyberpunk is about about more then the tech. A large part of it is also in how the world has changed (or not) because (or despite it).

Also since when does steampunk require magic?
>>
>>43912814
nice meme
>>
>>43913011
>aluminum
no man, just no
>>
>>43913757
Yeah, except the function of cyberpunk is to explore our current problems. Because it's science fiction. Science fiction does that.

I suppose you could use "bronzepunk" to do something like that, but you'd have to cast a wider net, and not just focus on bronze smithing. My personal theory is that a lot of religious texts -especially monotheistic ones- are basically ancient self help books. Dudes wrote that stuff because they knew people would believe it, and figured they'd set out rules for being a good person and staying healthy and shit.

And then none of it worked. So exploring that would probably make for something decent you could call bronzepunk.
>>
>>43913818
>shut up Phil gaslamp fantasy is not a thing

THANK YOU

That shit triggers my autism so goddamn hard.
>>
>>43913855
>Because it's science fiction. Science fiction does that.

But then what about pulp science fiction? Old magazines where aliens and robots and laser guns were the point? It wasn't saying anything about current society.

I mean, this is how the term sci-fi came about. Sometimes you just want spaceships and ray guns. You could slap the -punk label on any story where there's some kind of prevailing technology (cyber, steam, bronze) and a subculture trying to take down the oppressive elite who control said technology.
>>
>>43913851
You realize that's the original spelling, right?
>>
>>43913932
-ium conforms to the way most other elements are called.

But I don't think he was talking about the spelling, more the fact that it was unheard of or extremely rare until electrolysis made it common.
>>
>>43913932
I'm meant it's impossible to even get aluminium as a workable metal with bronze age technology
>>
>>43913855
>Dudes wrote that stuff because they knew people would believe it, and figured they'd set out rules for being a good person and staying healthy and shit.
The oral tradition --> written word theory makes more sense.
>>
>>43913921
Sure, but then don't pretend it isn't shit, Anon.

I mean, you can have it either way, but if it's going to be pulp, the "bronzepunk" label essentially doesn't mean anything. You're just doing one of those vaguely historical action things that looks utterly retarded to anyone who's ever read a history book.

And that's your prerogative, but then I don't see why you would get up in arms about the whole bronzepunk angle.
>>
>>43914005
Not completely. It does exist in a native state, it's just very rare.
>>
>>43914053
whynotboth.jpg

All the rules about washing your hands, killing animals quickly, and being nice to your neighbours are a dead give-away. And, of course, we only have the word of the latest writer for it. They might have taken the oral traditions, and added their self-help stuff.
>>
>>43914070
I'm pretty sure it only exists in salts or aluminiumoxide in nature
>>
File: Cicero.png (478 KB, 1070x1769) Image search: [Google]
Cicero.png
478 KB, 1070x1769
>>43913605
Patricianpunk: The new Tribune of Plebs has become uppity after dominating the Senatorial process with his constant vetoes and populist rhetoric. There are whispers in the curia that the sacrilegious dog is advocating turning the Republic into a permanent dictatorship, and that he supports the consul who conquered Gaul for this position. Only you and 299 other elderly aristocrats stand in this madman's way.
Are you a bad enough Cūlus to save the Senate and People of Rome from the despicable yoke of kingship?
>>
>>43914067

I don't know. Star Wars doesn't say much in the same way that Harlan-Ellison-approved "speculative fiction" does, but it's damn good science fiction.

This thread doesn't assume anything about "bronzepunk". It could be hardcore social commentary revolving very strongly around bronze and punks. The opening post makes no assumptions, yet you're making a whole bunch.
>>
>>43914153
And before anyone complains, Cicero's family had no influence, so that basically makes him a plebeian, so he satisfies the -punk part.
>>
>>43914152
I'm pretty sure you can google this and see for yourself in less than one minute desu
>>
>>43914107
>All the rules ... dead give-away
Have you ever interacted with a superstitious culture before? Oral tradition can easily pass down complex, strict sets of rules. In the case of things like the Mosaic Law, that religious literature was literally legally binding. I don't think it's unrealistic at all to say that the people who wrote the law down were just recording what people were thought at the time.
>>
>>43914209
>it's damn good science fiction
>Star Wars
Do I like Star Wars? Sure. It's a lot of fun. Is it even barely science fiction? Nah. Shit's fantasy.
>>
>>43914209
>it's damn good science fiction

Not really. Again, unless you stretch the definition to mean nearly goddamn anything that fits a very vague definition. Star Wars is considered science fiction because it has spaceships and laserguns, but it isn't GOOD science fiction because it doesn't use any of those elements to tell its story. They're just windowdressing. Star Wars itself is a fairly bog standard story conforming to the typical hero cycle. It has more in common with Fantasy than with Science Fiction.

>The opening post makes no assumptions, yet you're making a whole bunch.

Oh, for fuck's sake, first I say there isn't anything in the first post, and the OP points me towards a post that clearly aims at aping cyberpunk themes, and now I'm the asshole for going on with that?

Yeah, Anon, I make assumptions because a title like "bronzepunk" elicits them. it communicates that the OP wants to incorporate certain themes, and you're here going "but it could be anything".

Frankly, I get the feeling you're being contrarian for its own sake. I tried to play ball with the theme, and then you basically said the theme doesn't mean a goddamn thing. So what are you even doing here?
>>
>>43914339
Well out of interest, and perhaps you've posted about it already, what would you do with "bronzepunk"?

You're given that label and you have to do something with it. What kind of world and story do you create?
>>
>>43914275
I did and it can occur natively in active volcanoes and at the bottom of the ocean, which is almost worse than it not occurring at all if some bronze age fuckwit wants to get some!
>>
>>43914310
Kind of ignores the whole prophetic aspect. At least two of these stories (the most popular ones) focus on one dude spreading these teachings.

But in the end this is a moot point. You're getting autistic over just one way of looking at things. I said, if you want to explore a bronzepunk type setting, this would be a good way of exploring religion in the typical acerbic, bottom-up style that -punk tends to imply. It doesn't need to actually have happened that way, Anon.

Not that you know what actually happened, mind you. So you can lose the condescending attitude.
>>
>>43914384
It still exists. It might be rarer and more valuable than platinum, but it's still there.

People in real life did in fact have access to it before we started producing it with electrolysis you know.
>>
>>43914429
in 1825, in an impure form.
It's literally impossible to get for people with bronze age tech
>>
>>43914378
Sort of explored it here: >>43913855

Like I said, you need to cast a wider net than just metallurgical technology. Just like cyberpunk is more than just computers, but also implies a dystopian society where corporations rule everything. Or how steampunk not only implies steam engines, but Victorian English society and impossible technology.

This can be anything that fits the histoical period, from the earlier-mentioned Assyrians discovering steel and kicking ass, to beaker-culture nomads sitting on their asses drinking all day.

Say, take the Epic of Gilgamesh. It's a work a ruler commissioned to show what a badass he was. Now look at that from a -punk angle. What would it be like to live under the rule of such a guy? How does a bronze age guy who believes in gods and demons filter all that information about the presumed supernatural nature of a ruler like that? How does that jibe with every day life, where some dude sends you a clay tablet saying you still owe him for the pots of beer he sent you?
>>
>>43914488
>It's literally impossible
Uh. Do you know what the words literally and impossible mean?

Some primitive chemist could stumble onto a way to reduce aluminium, it's not like it's complicated to do so.

They could also find it in a mine. It wouldn't last long as a surface deposit, but under the right conditions they might find a lot of it just buried there.

So no. It's not "literally impossible". It's not even figuratively impossible. All it is is unlikely.
>>
>>43914581
Not that guy, but what would they even use it for?

The only reason we care about that shit is because we can make airplanes and cans out of it.
>>
>>43914624
If that were the case nobody would care about precious stones either.

It's a really rare metal. Think about it.
>>
>>43914581
>Some primitive chemist could stumble onto a way to reduce aluminium
not unless hundreds of other advances are coincidentally stumbled upon. It's pretty complicated for a random alchemist.
>They could also find it in a mine.
They could not

It is practically impossible, if you want to be that pedantic.
Why would the genius, coincidence-favoured, alchemist alchemist want to make a workable amount of aluminium anyway?
>>
>>43914703
>They could not
Yes they could. The stuff is there, all they'd need to do is go get it.

>Why would the genius, coincidence-favoured, alchemist alchemist want to make a workable amount of aluminium anyway?
Why not? I mean, you do know the sorts of things they tried to do, right?

If you want a concrete reason then the fact that it's a rare as fuck metal who nobody else would be able to create could give him fame and fortune. All the other alchemists would flock to him and tell him how amazing it is that he created a new metal and ask him stupid questions about why he didn't just make gold instead.
>>
>>43914697
Fair enough, but then it still doesn't fill a narrative purpose.
>>
>>43914875
Eh, just bullshit something up.

The king wants aluminum cutlery but it doesn't keep an edge well.
>>
>>43914824
>Yes they could.
except it doesn't occur in the crust in its native state
>>
>>43912801

It's called Sandal and Sword. And yes, there are bronze-clad everything and slaves and gladiators trying to win their freedom to stick it to the man who appeases the masses with bread and circuses.
>>
>>43914899
To me it seems cut out for being considered an expensive "junk metal", and the only people who care about it know they have something interesting, but have no idea what to do with it. Kind of like how people burned gasoline as a waste product until they figured out a use for it.
>>
>>43914936
Yes it does. It's produced in volcanoes and under the sea. Both of which are theoretically reachable.

It even gives interesting plot hooks.

>The nearby sea has just fully drained a few years ago, and explorers are reporting an exotic metal only found on its bottom.
>>
>>43914944
Shame all that stuff is Iron Age.
>>
>>43912801
Runequest.
>>
>>43915038
>Both of which are theoretically reachable.
With magic?
>The nearby sea has just fully drained a few years ago,
which leaves you with oxides. Cold seeps are also not something you're liable to find in a sea that will dry up

Seriously man, go with the alchemy supergenius if you're hellbent on having aluminium
>>
>>43914875
It'd fill the same narrative purpose as gold.
>>
>>43915200
even though you can just have gold?
>>
The elements of punk include anti-authoritarianism, promoting freedom. It's often associated with nihilism, at least in the early days, and with Cyberpunk a dystopian feel.

Therefore, I say set it during the Bronze Age collapse. Droughts, famines, little ice ages. Great civilizations falling, volcanos erupting.

Everyone knows the gods are dead. Man killed them with bronze swords, and now the world is dying with it.
While the kings and nobles who burned Troy are long gone, their descendants huddle on their thrones surrounded by their guards.

But while heroes are gone, heroism isn't. Young men are fighting back within the cities, defying the soldiers. Running in the shadows beneath the smoke crowned sun. Spreading the new idea, this philosophy. For if the gods are gone, their descendants, the kings should too.

Character archetypes could include:
Street Hoplite (Armed with a mass produced spear, or even one of those new swords, if you're rich)
Freedom seeking slave (if wanting a cyberpunk feel, treat them as if they're a replicant)
Scribe (You know how to write, and can access the great libraries which store more information than a man could ever hope to know)
Physician (An anachronistic philosopher. You swore off personal possessions to dedicate yourself to understanding the world.)
>>
If you were going to have an alchemist creating aluminium, then you could have him using giant variations of the Baghdad Battery. These giant clay urns being tended to by a hundred slaves, topping up the acids and resealing them with bitumen. Even though Iron as a metal is far more useful for weapons and armour than aluminium
>>
I guess the only real issue is that the divide between bronze and iron ages wasn't technological, it was resource based. They did iron thousands of years before the actual Iron Age. Bronze was just easier since it can be melted at lower heat, they only switched because they didn't have the know how to extract the tin they needed to mix with the copper and just simply ran out.
>>
>>43915038
>Both of which are theoretically reachable

>active volcanos
>bottom of the sea
>reachable
Nigga we can barely go there with modern technology, what makes you think bronze age technology can get you there?
>>
>>43912801
No, but Exalted used to try to be this.
>>
>>43915494
They could probably do the "bottom of the ocean" in a modified Vernes steampunk.
Except switching out steam-power for being powered by an irrigation-system.
>>
>>43915494
>ocean
Either wait for it to happen naturally or just make a dam. You're there.

>volcano
Same thing. All you need to do is dig a hole and hope the stuff is close to the surface.
>>
>>43915686
Do you understand the difference between the bottom of the ocean and just the ocean?

Do you understand the difference between a dormant volcano and an active one?
>>
>>43915131

The difference between an Iron Age Sword and Sandals campaign and a Bronze Age Sword and Sandals campaign is the color of the gear and maybe a slight change of scenery.

It's really not hard to adapt them.
>>
>>43915686
>just make a dam
>through the ocean
>with bronze age tech

>Just dig a hole in the volcano to the hot part
>>
>>43915734
Neither of those things matter.
>>
>>43915785
It doesn't need to be an ocean. It can be any deep body of water.

It doesn't need to be an active volcano, just one that was active geologically recently.
>>
>>43915814
>It can be any deep body of water
no man it needs to be near a cold seep. That's the see floor.
>It doesn't need to be an active volcano,
It does if you want native aluminium, otherwise it's just minerals
>>
>>43915920
>no man it needs to be near a cold seep. That's the see floor.
They could occur anywhere there's a combination of deep underwater and volcanic activity.

The thing that makes the aluminium is anoxic bacteria. There is no mystical quality that makes those incapable of survival anywhere except the deep ocean.

>It does if you want native aluminium, otherwise it's just minerals
Does not, it doesn't break down that soon.
>>
>>43915982
>They could occur anywhere there's a combination of deep underwater and volcanic activity.
Name places where that occurs
>it doesn't break down that soon.
A volcano doesn't cool that suddenly
>>
>>43916033
>Name places where that occurs
The fantasy bronzepunk world that's the topic of this thread :^)

>A volcano doesn't cool that suddenly
>suddenly
Sure. Just wait a few thousand years. That's why I said geologically recent.
>>
File: fetchlands.jpg (76 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
fetchlands.jpg
76 KB, 600x418
/tg/

Tectonics and Geology
>>
>>43916086
>a few thousand years
by that time it will have broken down
>>
>>43912801

Sandalpunk is the term I remember.

Alternately "classical aesthetic".
>>
>>43916136
It doesn't break down depending on time, but on the circumstances it's in. If it's solid enough to form a protective film of oxide it will stay intact. If oxygen doesn't enter its vicinity it will stay intact. There's a lot of possibilities, anon, it seems pretty absurd you can't see a single one.

I also don't understand why you're bringing time into this. This isn't some radioactive isotope with a half life you know.
>>
>>43916181
You brought time into this. I can't see these possibilities because they're both highly unlikely and unprecedented
>>
>>43916304
Something being unlikely means that it *is* a possibility, not that it isn't. I think you're having difficulty with either the term or the logic behind it here.

As for precedent, you don't need exact precedent if you have it in general. We have bacteria forming aluminium in an anoxic environment. This shows us that they can do that. Do you have any reason to believe the ocean has some magical quality that makes it impossible to happen anywhere else? Please state your theory if you do.
>>
>>43916400
>Do you have any reason to believe the ocean has some magical quality that makes it impossible to happen anywhere else?
it being the habitat for these bacteria.
You couldn't recreate those conditions with modern technology.

As for logic, when something is abundant but does not occur in a certain state except for very specific conditions you can be damn sure that's with good reason. After all it "is" possible that you're making a serious argument
>>
>>43914421
>condescending attitude
>>
>>43916530
>You couldn't recreate those conditions with modern technology.
Sure you could. Just make a high pressure chamber, fill it with water, and vent in the same chemicals.

But I don't see why you're bringing artificial recreation into this. We were talking about natural occurrence.

>very specific conditions
The conditions are less specific than you're claiming them to be. You already had three examples in this thread I believe, yet you're still harping on how it's *impossible*.
>>
>>43916698
>high pressure chamber
And how would you be able to make that with bronze-age era tech?
>>
>>43916732
Why would you need to? They're draining a lake, remember? :^)
>>
>>43916698
>Sure you could. Just make a high pressure chamber, fill it with water, and vent in the same chemicals.
Nigga there are limits to what humans can make right now.
>The conditions are less specific than you're claiming them to be.
I fucking gave the 2 examples, both of which are highly specific.
>>
>>43916776
>both of which are highly specific.
They're not specific enough to make bronze age people mining aluminium from them inconceivable.
>>
>>43916827
No they'll just plunge into the active volcano wearing damp rags and walk to the bottom of the sea with air-filled goat bladders
>>
>>43916867
The volcano doesn't need to be active. There are many ways that aluminium can survive for a long time.

The bottom of the sea bacteria can also conceivably be in any other anoxic environment. If a metabolic process creates a metal in one environment, then there's no reason to think it's impossible for it to do the same thing in another environment where the bacteria feeds on the same thing.
>>
>>43916934
Why are you being such a faggot about this? Aluminum is not useful at all to a bronze age society and it has no intrinsic worth otherwise since it's quite reactive
Why must you try to force aluminum into a place it doesn't belong?
Yes it could be interesting as an eccentric hook but it's retarded in every way
>>
>>43917046
Why are YOU being such a faggot about this? All I said is that it isn't impossible for them to have aluminium and then gave a few examples of why I thought so.

What does usefulness have to do with it? Why does X not belong in a fantasy setting, how does that make sense for anything?
>>
>>43916934
>There are many ways that aluminium can survive for a long time.
but those never happen. Being able to think of something doesn't make it actually possible.

Bacteria aren't a fucking machine they're lifeforms. Ones that needs certain conditions and habitats to live. Most bacteria can't actually be grown in labs, especially ones from marine environments.
>>
>>43917121
He's another guy m8.
Your examples are stupid, That's why I'm being a faggot. Also I enjoy arguing
>>
>>43917128
>but those never happen.
Yes they do. What the fuck are you talking about.

>Most bacteria can't actually be grown in labs, especially ones from marine environments.
All of them can be grown in labs if you spend enough effort on recreating their environment.

>Bacteria aren't a fucking machine they're lifeforms.
A metabolic process is a pretty simple thing. It doesn't even need to be the same bacteria living off it. The fact that a metabolic process where aluminium is the product exists is enough proof that this is possible. Is it probable? I don't know. But it definitely is possible.
>>
>>43917187
>Yes they do
But they don't there is no aluminium lying around in dormant volcanoes
>All of them can be grown in labs if you spend enough effort on recreating their environment
No man They can't, not without tons of advances in microbiology. Really, go to your local college and take a course in microbiology.
>A metabolic process is a pretty simple thing
It is bloody well not
>>
>>43917265
>But they don't there is no aluminium lying around in dormant volcanoes
Yes there is.

>No man They can't
Okay, then they can't. Why is this relevant? You keep coming back to this, even when you said yourself that bronze-agers wouldn't be doing things like that.

>It is bloody well not
I could nitpick that it's more simple than many actual machines, but it wouldn't get us anywhere. Okay, then it isn't simple. What about the rest of that line that you forgot to quote? Did the other part make you uncomfortable?
>>
>>43917342
> Yes there is
Fucking where, nowhere that's where
>I could nitpick that it's more simple than many actual machines
You literally have no idea, There's a lot more to it than a reaction and the name of a handful of enzymes.
>Did the other part make you uncomfortable?
The fact that some bacteria CAN metabolize something into aluminium? No it doesn't, but you need to realise this is something incredibly specific
>>
>>43917514
>Fucking where, nowhere that's where
In dormant volcanoes.

>You literally have no idea, There's a lot more to it than a reaction and the name of a handful of enzymes.
And some machines are incredibly complex too. I don't think you're really considering the scope of the comparison here.

>The fact that some bacteria CAN metabolize something into aluminium? No it doesn't, but you need to realise this is something incredibly specific
Not specific enough for it to be implausible in similar circumstances such as the examples in this thread.
>>
>>43917586
>In dormant volcanoes.
Nah m8
>And some machines are incredibly complex too.
They are, certainly. I simply wanted to reinforce my point.
>Not specific enough for it to be implausible in similar circumstances such as the examples in this thread.
What examples? The lake with cold seeps on its bottom that will dry up soon?
>>
>>43917735
Or any other similar environment. Use your imagination a bit.
>>
>>43917763
> other similar environment
Yeah, but that doesn't exist. If this is a world with wizard 'n dragons and shit, fine; but it's an alternate bronze age.
In my book that means earth rules
>>
>>43917833
Well all this was based on the idea that it's a fictional setting. May or may not be a fantasy one. And it definitely is an RPG setting. So yeah.
>>
>>43917898
Honestly I don't consider settings with actual magic to be proper steampunk.
Now that I think about it certain hot-springs might release the same compounds but I am very unsure of this and my geology knowledge is limited to one elective years ago and wikipedia
>>
File: 24601.jpg (52 KB, 473x337) Image search: [Google]
24601.jpg
52 KB, 473x337
>>43912981
Any pre-iron civilization, really. A good chunk of ancient Egypt, Sumerian/Babylonian states, China, certain early Indian cultures, early Greeks, etc.

Is the genre covering the era before OP's question pic related?
>>
>>43913316
Never. Punk and by extension, punkpunk, died a long time ago, in some back alley behind a bar, with lipstick on it's dick, enough alcohol in its system to sedate a bear and a bullet through it's brain because it was too cheap to pay the pimp.
>>
>>43912801
>___punk
>>
File: band has 2 drummers.jpg (11 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
band has 2 drummers.jpg
11 KB, 392x243
>taking any old material or time period and sticking _punk next to it makes it a setting
anyone want to help me with my new woodpunk homebrew setting?
>>
>>43913316
Punkpunk == punk
>>
>>43913011
Look at some of Archimedes' inventions, note the ancient Hellenes had designs for a horseless chariot and spice with Talos the Bronze man style contracts.
>>
>>43917898
Well trolled.
You threw the whole damn pole in the water and /tg/ dutifully ate that shit up.
You, Anon, are awarded 40of the toppest keks.
>>
>>43914153
You are a lion amongst men.
>>
File: 1374267482252.jpg (53 KB, 541x681) Image search: [Google]
1374267482252.jpg
53 KB, 541x681
>>43915761
>The difference between an Iron Age Sword and Sandals campaign and a Bronze Age Sword and Sandals campaign is the color of the gear and maybe a slight change of scenery.

please no

Bronze Age (pre-rise of the Greek city-states) was marked by a strong palace economy, animistic religion, the initial development of writing, and the rise of the urban environment. After the rise of the Greek city-states, and moving into Classical Antiquity, you had a major diversification of economic and governmental systems, ranging the gamut from pure democracy, dominated by philosophers and demagogues, to traditional totalitarian states. Gladiators are a Roman thing, anyways, which is very post-Bronze Age.

In the Bronze Age, cities were few and far between, and those who could write were extremely rare (there may have been only a couple dozen writers in all Egypt during the earlier dynasties, so I've been told by an anthropologist; this is cool information, but it lacks a source). After the Greek Dark Ages, the population had built up enough to support urbanization on a scale that had not been seen before.

I'd definitely make the argument that iron age is not readily transmutable into bronze age unless you disregard a lot of worldbuilding and overarching thematic elements.
>>
File: the-flintstones.jpg (110 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
the-flintstones.jpg
110 KB, 560x315
>>43913384
Shit, now I want Flintstonespunk.
>>
>>43920140
Flintstones is 1950's with the stone age look, basically. Basically take the googie architecture and make it hewn from boulders.
>>
>>43917966
...that was the entire idea too. Nice that you realize it after I leave.
>>
>>43912801
Sword and sandals, bruh.
>>
>>43913573
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that literally what Kingdom Death's Monster is about?
>>
>>43912921
>Do they have to be megacorporations in bronze towers?

thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>43922520
make a fantasy world in the bronze age rather than bronzepunk?
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.