[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a cyberpunk fantasy game out there that doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Glory.png (1 MB, 1017x1611) Image search: [Google]
Glory.png
1 MB, 1017x1611
Is there a cyberpunk fantasy game out there that doesn't have the ridiculous bookkeeping and character mastery of Shadowrun? There's 0 chance I'll be able to keep some of my current players interested in SR because of these factors, so I'm looking for an alternative.
>>
>>43908877
Most of the answers you get won't be satisfying. I would recommend Savage Worlds with a combo of fantasy and scifi splatbooks combined however fits best for your group.
>>
>>43908877
GURPS

Nah just kidding I love GURPS but it probably rivals Shadowrun in terms of bookkeeping

I second Savage Worlds and just combine stuff from the fantasy and scifi books. Savage worlds is really rules-lite.
>>
File: CPunk14.jpg (129 KB, 1161x1600) Image search: [Google]
CPunk14.jpg
129 KB, 1161x1600
>>43908913
>>43908931
Thanks, friends.
>>
>>43908877
Does Nova Praxis Clint?
>>
>>43909065
Check out Interface Zero for savage worlds.
>>
>>43908913
There's a cyberpunk fansupplement for SW.

I opened the thread to recommend it.

You could also run a generic narrative system , like *World games or Strike!.
>>
>>43908877
If you don't mind blowing your brains out cause d20 you can try d20 modern with the urban arcana and sci fi books.
>>
>>43909080
... Damn auto correct.
>>
>>43909198
Isn't d20 modern particularly terrible, even among d20 stuff?
>>
>>43909365
Yes
>>
Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>43908877
I really like the setting and themes of Shadowrun, but I find it quickly becomes an unplayable mess. Mind you, I haven't played since 3rd edition so I don't know if I'm missing anything exciting?
>>
>>43908877
Ever hear of a game called Torg? One of the BBEGs was the Cyberpope.
>>
>>43911713
I think there's a remake of TORG in the process.
>>
>>43908877
Interface Zero.
>>
>>43911650
I played SR 5, and the biggest things that bog the game down are
a) the fact that resolving combat actions, especially burst fire, just takes forever with the amount of roling involved
b)shopping and moneykeeping is very, very down to detail and a lot of items grant so many little things you should look up all the time it's not even funny anymore
c)even though they tried to include hackers to the frontline, it still get's a mess if you have meatspace, astral and matrix initiative overlapping each other. It's basicly 3 encounters with their own ruleset at the same time which slows down things even more.
d) just like in PF you need to add up modifiers for 2 minutes and doublecheck you didn't forget anything before rolling because there is just so much going on.
>>
>>43913572
A more streamlined ruleset would be great.
>>
The Sprawl is an apocalypse world hack. Shit's pretty streamlined.
>>
>>43908877
Technoir. It's more noir than punk (as the name suggests) but the amount of bookkeeping is pretty much the polar opposite of Shadowrun.
>>
>>43913488
Don't do it it's a trap
>>
>>43908931

GURPS might work if you strip it down some. Abstract range, lots of wildcard skills, and simple advantages with no power modifiers.

Shadowrun's complexity is mostly in the catalog, whereas gurps's equipment list is pretty straightforward.

But I agree that out of the box it's pretty complex.
>>
>>43918686
>I agree that out of the box it's pretty complex.
I don't. It's mostly giant lists and optional rules, what's complex about that? Boot up Lite.
>>
>>43908877
Fucking christ I know what you mean.

Just last week taking down a dozen mooks plus vehicle took nearly three hours.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.