[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questiongs aboot Teeg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1311763417814.jpg (79 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1311763417814.jpg
79 KB, 720x479
I've been lurking for quite a while, yet there are some things about this board and it's subgroups that still remain unanswered.
Mostly because these things are too overwhelming to really get into.
So, answer me /tg/, what's the deal with:

>GRUPS-fags? What is grups like, who does it appeal to and why do these people keep suggesting it everywhere?
>40k? It's such a huge part of this board and all I can see is very grimdark lore, a number-crunching game and huge money sinks. What am I missing? Why does it have so many fans?
>CYOA-threads? What do you do with those? Lot's of charts to make characters or stuff for.... What exactly?

I'm honestly, honestly not trying to flame a huge shitstorm. I don't want to hear people talking shit about other peoples interests, I'm just wondering what makes them interesting
>>
File: 1244105978.jpg (215 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
1244105978.jpg
215 KB, 800x640
>>43908587
>GRUPS
>>
>>43908587

GURPS is a simple system that has splatbooks for pretty much any setting you could want to run a game in, it's advantage is in having one single system for every setting, but this is also why it sucks.

40k is the reason /tg/ exists, we were created to get the warhams threads out of /b/.

CYOAs are cancer, they serve no purpose and belong on another board.
>>
40k has so many fans because it's been around for quite a while, resulting in a "famous for being famous" (or in this case, popular for being popular) kind of deal.

A lot of people already play it. It is likely that newcomers to the hobby will get introduced to it through 40k, and the fact that there are many players also affects that people are more inclined to pick it up over other games in the genre.
>>
I started playing 40k in when the 3rd edition came out. I enjoyed building models and working with model railroads as a kid, as well as reading lots of scifi and being super into miltary history.

I enjoy modeling mostly, playing for fun with "fluffy" or themed armies. I am almost finished building my bugs, going all melee and a terrible list, just so friends can do things like take plasma pistols and veteran sargeants with power swords and not auto lose.
>>
>>43908587
>>CYOA-threads? What do you do with those? Lot's of charts to make characters or stuff for.... What exactly?
I asked the same thing in one thread once.
Inspiration and fucking around with ideas to produce other ideas is the only real productive point to them.
The fact that none of that usually seems to happen is just a byproduct of 4chan usually being the antithesis of productivity.
>>
>>43908587
How long are you calling 'quite a while'?
>>
>>43913034
I've been popping in here and there for the past several (4?) years and I have the same questions as him.

I've had the 40k lore explained to me. I've watched people play it at th lgs. I tried a different war miniature game myself. I don't get the appeal. Especially the lore, good god what a nightmare.

GURPS is ?? To me. I *think* people are making fun of it, but I can't tell. Is it like FATE in that regard? For that matter, what is FATE actually like?
>>
>>43913927
>>43908587

well you seem to have no problem with the 40k concept then, theres just alot of 40k fans on this board so they make threads....thats about it
but outside of the relic games I find the tabletop overprice but I get why people play it

most of the gurps jokes are usually about the random shit people try or pretend to try and do with gurps more then anything

and CYOA is just more or less a structured game of pretend
>>
>>43913927
Like all memes, 'use GURPS' isn't even making fun of GURPS. It's making fun of the fact that GURPS always gets suggested, and the people saying it rarely even know what they're talking about.

It's Generic system that's made to be able to run a lot of different thinks.
FATE is a more narrativist system. I've never actually looked at it, so I can't be sure. You've tried reading up on them, right? Like, reviews and stuff?

>Not getting the appeal of 40k.
You either like it, or you don't. There's a lot of different aspects to the lore for one to get into, but if none of them grab your attention then you just won't be able to get into it. This is true of pretty much everything. It's pretty popular on /tg/ because it's one of the most popular /tg/-type things around, and probably acted as a gateway for a lot of people here.
>>
>>43914037
I tried reading reviews that I found through a quick google. The few I read were by terrible writers who couldn't really communicate anything about the system through their thick and endless layers of sarcasm and shit-slinging
>>
Are schools closed today for some reason?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.