[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Treat with the fey instead of burdening yourself with nails?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12
File: mad gains.jpg (456 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
mad gains.jpg
456 KB, 2048x1536
Why doesn't /tg/ like feys?
In the tales I was taught, feys like to make human dance to death (or at least make them skip some years doing so) but that's pretty much all of it. Distracting them with riddles is enough to calm them until the sun rises again.
And if you bring drinks, treats or something they'll party less hard.
Of course you shouldn't eat food from them until you're in the human realm and not at night. But I'm told most of the fair folk are beneficial.

I'm from brittany, is your folklore just different or are you just hating on the fair folk?

Why not enjoy a party with the korrigans instead of warding them with nails?
>>
>>43907773
>that picture

why does it make me want to puke?
>>
>>43907773
You don't fool me, fae asshole.
>>
>>43907794
Probably because it's just butter and sugar (and like two tablespoons of flour).
I leave some in the atre for the domestic spirits.
>>
>>43907773
Go to hell, Airy.
>>
>>43907773
>I'm from brittany, is your folklore just different or are you just hating on the fair folk?
Slavic folklore has very similar imaginery: "fey" creatures, such as Rusalka, Víla, Samoděva are usually associated with the customs to trick, sometimes seduce, and then either dance to death, or drown humans, particularly male ones. I think there is something very universal about this kind of image, and can be traced down to plenty of different cultures.

As for "fey folk" being beneficial: the thing is, in classical polyteistic religions, most creatures that are more-or-less forms of natural spirits (which is the case of most "fey", fairies and elves) are generally viewed as potentially dangerous, but natural part of the world, sometimes associated with the chaotic, but creative and important power of wild nature (such as forest or a river).
Also, you have to realize that our contemporary vision of them is distorted by decades of re-interpretations, from christianic ones which generally had the tendency to associate everything pagan with evil, to the romantic reinterpretations, which in contrast tended to over-glorify and celebrate all nature-worshiping and often local pagan folklore motives.
>>
File: FF8Room643.gif (233 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
FF8Room643.gif
233 KB, 320x240
>>43907773
>trusting feys

No thanks
>>
>>43907773
Feys are not evil nor good. Its the same concept demons used to have before christianity made them pure evil.

They like to mess with mortals, and most of the time its nonlethal trickery.

Unless the mortal is stupid/greedy and deserves his bitter end.

I love trickster/fey stories.
>>
>>43907873
Wait, so demons used to be like the Jinn from Islamic folklore?
>>
>>43907885
Yes. Its all the same "trope"
>>
>>43907885
>>43907873
Jinn, demons, fey, they all die if you shoot them enough. That is all that matters.
>>
>>43907901
It's okay anon, we know you don't go to that smelly website, no need to put the word trope in quotes :^)
>>
>>43907924
Jinn are made of air and fire. I don't think mortal weapons really work as well as you'd hope.
>>
>>43907938
Just throw some dirt over it, problem solved.
>>
>>43907938
holy water extinguisher anyone?
>>
>>43907924
>This is what Meatsuits actually believe
>>
>>43907885
>Wait, so demons used to be like the Jinn from Islamic folklore?
Not sure what you mean by that...
"Demon" is a transformation of greek word "Daimon", which actually means a lesser supernatural being or spirit, probably derived from an even older word, "daemon" meaning "knowing" or "wise"...
As for "jinn", the word is actually only known with Islamic texts, including Quaran itself and they are generally described as both good and evil ones.
I don't really see the connections you tried to draw there.
>>
>>43907860
>>43907873
Precisely, if they are neither inherently good nor evil, why not befriend them when all it takes is genuine genrosity?
>>
>>43907987
Because a thing doesn't need to be malevolent in order to be harmful.
>>
>>43907950
I was going to debate this, but I think if it's from sacred ground it might actually work.

>>43907954
And this is why a demon invasion would never work in this era.

>>43907980
I was making a comparison between attitudes, not attributes. If Demons were more akin to neutral spirits than vile monsters, then they're similar to the Jinn; a neutral party created by Yahweh/Allah.

>>43907992
Which just means you need to handle it with care.
>>
So, how do I fend off feys?
They're still breaking into my house and steal my food.
>>
>>43907987
Just leave them alone, don't deal with them, dont provoke them.
>>
>>43908002
put all your food in iron containers
>>
>>43908002
Leave them a tribute outside.
>>
>>43908002
They dislike iron in a lot of stories. I think some flowers drive them away too. You could also try leavign a little out in a dish especially for them; they seem to prefer receiving gifts than stealing.
>>
>>43908004
>not leaving broil and biscuits aside the chimney to befriend the house fae
>>
>>43908000
>Which just means you need to handle it with care.
Why? I don't want something harmful near me. Why would I need to handle it at all?
>>
>>43908000
>Which just means you need to handle it with care.
what about people who don't know anything about fey?

A race that forces you to know about them to not have them be harmful to you AND are not particularly well documented is more likely to run afoul when meeting with strangers than having a beneficial encounter.
>>
>>43908002
I'm told they really hate it if you jizz on everything.

Fey in the modern era would just start a prank channel on Youtube.'Hey guys, SoFeyAntonio here.'
>>
>>43908002
Get a Cat.
>>
>>43908034
Harmful things can be beneficial. And fey can be really nice guys if you befriend them.

>>43908037
That's those guy's problem, not mine. If they can't be arsed to learn about local spirits then its their own damn fault.
>>
>>43908058
>Harmful things can be beneficial.
And they can also not be beneficial.
>>
File: 1371252884136[1].jpg (60 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
1371252884136[1].jpg
60 KB, 500x401
>>43908000
Look at those trips, dang it.
>>
>>43908058
>Harmful things can be beneficial.
Yeah, when they happen to the other people.
>>
>>43908065
That's not an excuse to outright destroy it. Especially if its sentient.
>>
>>43908065
>my neighboor could be lending me some sugar a day I need it if I go and greet them the day they move in
>but they are able bodied humans so they could murder me in my sleep
>oh well, back to the basement, speaking to other people is scary
thinking like you is the way to live without being alive
>>
>>43908058
and travelers? You can't honestly expect to be an expert in every region you travel. Do you not understand the concept of hospitality?

"Be polite" is too vague of a general strategy to not fuck up when it comes to fey. If you're dicks to any old fart that visits, why is it a surprise that everyone hates you?
>>
>>43908071
So that's OP's plan then? Make the fey go after other people so they leave him alone?

>>43908074
Who said anything about destroying it? Just keep it away. Destroy it if it doesn't stay away.
>>
>>43907938
Mud pies. Earth & water, man.
>>
>>43908086
Except humans are known for being pretty okay most of the time. Meanwhile fey are known for being incredibly dangerous even when they are nice.
>>
>>43908087
really from the british isles to italy, all feys I've heard about are pretty chill if you bring food/drinks, they will appreciate the intention even if they are already dining on otherwordly wonders provided you brought something nice and not just picked booze at the supermarket.
All the scary shit I've heard about is in the actual realms of the fae, not the shared territories, they visit at night.
>>
>>43908087
Simple answer is jsut ask a local. Or, you know, don't disturb anything you don't have to and keep peace offerigns on your person at all times?

>>43908092
Then you have Fey who resent you for not being hospitable. This is not something you want.

>>43908107
Just phrase everything carefully around them and you'll be fine.
>>
>>43908024
>>43908015

Why do they dislike iron?
>>
Black from the cataractian nights they rise, singing of death. Humanlike beings of shadow, the pale servants of the winter king. In their wake are the dwellings of men left barren, before them stalks the chill of the void. Finally they find him whom they seek; he comes and embraces them all.
>>
File: lain laughin'.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
lain laughin'.gif
295 KB, 700x704
>>43908107
>humans are known for being pretty okay most of the time
>>
>>43908065
We only have some stories about changelings and some forest-gnome things.

And some mythical creatures like elvetritches and wolpertingers , with the sole purpose of keeping the kids busy "hunting" them at night.

There isnt much left of german folklore.
>>
>>43908127
>Then you have Fey who resent you for not being hospitable. This is not something you want.
You're right. Just kill them outright.
>>
>>43908142
They've left you healthy and sane long enough to learn how to be a good shitposter. Clear evidence that they're alright.
>>
>>43908130
I'm not sure. Some stories specify "cold iron", although no one's entirely sure if that means iron forged at lower temperatures or just a freezing cold iron bar.

>>43908159
And now you have the Seelie pissed off at you. LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID, ANON.
>>
>>43908159
sşmh tşbh fşam
>>
File: 12.jpg (333 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
333 KB, 610x406
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mets%C3%A4npeitto

reminder
>>
>>43908173
>LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID, ANON.
Exterminated almost all the fey so that they only remain as distant legends, keeping humanity safe?

Clear win here. Would do it again.
>>
>>43907987
>why not befriend them when all it takes is genuine genrosity?
Because people who wondered into forest alone often ended up dead, that is why. Those things aren't your friends, they don't give a fuck about you. Those things just are. You can try to keep them on the good side, by giving them treats and being considerate, and they might decide to leave you alone or even repay the favor, but they are never really your friends, they don't care for such sentiments, and they can kill you if you give them the opportunity.

>>43908000
>If Demons were more akin to neutral spirits than vile monsters, then they're similar to the Jinn; a neutral party created by Yahweh/Allah.
Except Demons in Christian folklore never were neutral spirits. They borrowed the word from Greek, and in the process also tried to undermine the older worship of Daimons by identifying them with the priciple of evil, but the christian Demon is not the same creature as the greek daimon.
And I still don't see any bloody comparison here: Jinn are not evil, Demon are pure evil, Daimon are neutral - each is a different concept entirely.
>>
>>43908127
>Simple answer is jsut ask a local.
and if there aren't any? If some coincidence meant that you just happened to not pass by any?

>don't disturb
and accidents happen. Humans at least try to protect the stuff they want protected, but Fey just expect absolute reverence for each slightly special object every 20 paces.

>>43908126
if they're chill, that's fine, but if they aren't, there are problems whether you're human or fey.
>>
>>43908169
So did the fae, despite me loosing myself countless times on the lande.
>>
>>43908130
There was a thread a while back where they discussed this. One of the agreed points was that it might mean simple worked iron or steel.

What makes it effective is the fact that it's not natural. It's a symbol of man taking nature and forging into a tool for his own use, for demonstrating their dominance over the world. Plus sharp, pointy things tend to hurt no matter what you are.
>>
>>43908149
Well except from the Grimm stories and Krampus.

But you barely hear stories being told about lokal beings
>>
>>43908215
I like this explanation.
>>
>>43908092
>So that's OP's plan then? Make the fey go after other people so they leave him alone?
Well, one way to deal with a problem is to solve it, the other way is to make it not your problem, so I guess that works.
>>
>>43908235
As OP, I don't have anything in mind regarding rewards, sincerity being a key factor in befriending them.
I just think having one as a friend would spice up life a lot. And if I ever get something from them, it's definitely gonna be intresting.
>>
>>43908254
Most people don't want interesting things of that sort in their lives.
>>
File: faun2.gif (918 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
faun2.gif
918 KB, 400x300
>>43908269
where's your spirit of adventure
>>
>>43908215
>>43908130
"anything manmade" is rather overpowered, so I considered a few alternatives

>magnets
They just hate large changes in magnetic fields. Technically they have no trouble with iron, as long as they move slowly when in close proximity to them, but any major shift in magnetic fields messes them up.

This may or may not make them weak to EMPs.

>coldforged
The iron itself has an antimagical effect that is lost when heated, so you need to coldforge it to as best a purity as you can manage. That might mean that meteoric iron doesn't work, though.

>Symbol
It's not the iron itself, but its stability. Iron is effective because of how stable it is, in the same way that stars mostly end in iron and the earth is largely iron.

And if you add in the stuff from Discworld, "steeling" your mind with stability and strength has the same effect.

>Corpse
maybe iron is just the corpses of fey, and it's really off-putting and demoralizing to be whacked with your dead grandma?
>>
>>43908285
>"anything manmade" is rather overpowered,
Yes, because folklore is made with balance in mind. Also, a lot of that stuff stems from the medieval period, when there was a lot more nature around. You ever wonder why the only people who see fairies are nutters who live in the woods?
>>
>>43908285
So... Shooting them with bullets hurts them right?
>>
>>43908344
Iron shot is more viable than silver shot if that's what you ask.
If not, it depends on the degree of mortality of the form they assumed.
>>
>>43908309
it ain't an interesting modern story if the fey don't have a significant powerbase to work from.

....unless the story is about "habilitating" fey without it ending in massive piles of fey corpses.
>>
>>43907773
You just don't understand the fae, I guess. They're all sociopaths, every single one of them. They really just don't give a fuck about you and will follow their nature regardless.

Which is bad when their nature consists of the compulsion to fuck you over if you break one of ten billion arbitrary rules, often rules that they will trick you into breaking or not adequately explain.
>>
>>43908285
>maybe iron is just the corpses of fey, and it's really off-putting and demoralizing to be whacked with your dead grandma?

I'm so stealing this
>>
File: 1448757472977.jpg (705 KB, 1200x1840) Image search: [Google]
1448757472977.jpg
705 KB, 1200x1840
Relevant. Love this sequence.
>>
>>43908591
What about domovoïs?
>>
File: 1448757508628.jpg (668 KB, 1200x1840) Image search: [Google]
1448757508628.jpg
668 KB, 1200x1840
And part 2.
>>
>>43908756
Hellboy was a fucking great comic.
>>
>>43908285
I once read a story about that, it was years ago, so I might be way off mark, but here it goes:

>It told that the earth herself blessed the fey with wondrous magic, in exchange for protection for the forests and creatures within them, but the fey used it only for their own enjoyment and left the places to be, at the mercy of men and their iron happily frolicking knowing that men could not cause them any harm.

>The earth, enraged, planned and instilled a hate and fear of the fey within the hearts of men, then she blessed the rough iron of the mines, for men were now to wield it against the fey.

>The fey suddenly realised that men could harm them, even kill them and were forced to defend their grooves once more, living with the consequences of their betrayal.

I kind of like it.
>>
>>43908283
I don't know where it is, but it's aroused.
>>
>fey
>feys

IT'S SPELLED FAE YOU GIANT FAGGOTS. THE PLURAL IS ALSO FAE
>>
>>43908944
No it's fé, the plural is fés, the feminine is fée and the plural feminine is fées.
See? I can be a dickwad too.
>>
>>43908906
yeah, he's pretty hot isn't he
>>
>>43908971
Go back to France you prancing la-la homoman.
>>
>>43908971
>muh fée fées
>>
>>43908971
>French

Never again
>>
>>43908999
No that's actually a girl, despite what the internet has trained you to expect.
>>
>>43907773
The fey are pretty universally enormous douchenozzles.

One of the old folk tales has a midwife hired in the middle of the night to do her midwifery and anoint the new baby with a particular ointment, but not to get any of it on her eyes. She forgets for a bit, rubs her eyes and discovers that she's in an old tree and EVERYONE else there is a fairy.
She manages to fake not knowing, gets her pay and goes. Then the guy who hired her in the first place comes up to her, goes "which eye can you see me out of", and when she answers, he blinds her in that eye.

Fairies are ENORMOUS dicks.
>>
>>43908042
Only works if it's a Greebo-esque cat.
>>
>>43908000
>I was going to debate this, but I think if it's from sacred ground it might actually work.
What about ghilan, though? I mean, they're corpse eaters. Do they just eat bodies buried on non-hallowed ground, or do they dig up bodies in consecrated graveyards too?
>>
>>43908127
>Then you have Fey who resent you for not being hospitable.
...is that where hospitality customs came from? Just in case the random visitor just happened to be a monstrously powerful eldritch being that's pretending to be human, rather than, you know, a regular human?
>>
>>43908173
Cold iron could be cold-wrought iron, i.e. meteoric iron. Sky iron is intensely magical stuff in most stories.
>>
>>43908971
Fé isn't a word you colossal retard.
It's fée, and féetaud.
>>
>>43909639
Pretty much, yes.
>>
So I get that the fey are untrustworthy jerks at best, demons are obviously bad, angels are Good but terrifying slaves to divine will. Are there any kinds of supernatural being that could plausibly be genuinely friendly?
>>
>>43907773
Some fey are pretty nice. But then you got things like redcaps, who kill people to dye their hats in their blood, or the nuckeavee, which is a horrifying monster that looks like a skinless man fused to a (also skinless) horse and goes around spreading pestilence and plague.

Generally fairies aren't really bad, though, but they are unpredictable and liable to screw you over becuase what they consider a funny prank may have serious consequences for a person, and if you accidentally piss them off they're prone to overrreact and burn down your house or something. It's best to just be polite to them but not get involved in whatever they're doing.
>>
>>43909888
No. Supernaturals are all assholes, humanity is all assholes, pretend like you like them or they'll eat your face.
>>
>>43908130
Because fey are associated with nature. Native (ie. non-oxidised) iron is not found in nature. It's found as useless oxidised stuff that is turned into iron metal through the use of technology (in contrast to metals used before iron, like copper, which could be mined more or less pure and just forged into tools). As such iron has symbolic value, representing the triumph of civilization over nature, and thus hurts spirits of nature.

>>43908173
Cold iron is a figure of speech, like "eat hot lead". As in "..but iron, cold iron, must be master of men all" (ie. it doesn't matter how wealthy or powerful you are, you still die if stabbed. Or alternatively, superior military force > anythign else).
>>
>>43910069
>you still die if stabbed.
Not for very much longer.
>>
If one were to get the opportunity to fug a fae what would be the proper precautions to take to make it as safe as reasonably possible?
>>
File: 1417341014904.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1417341014904.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
>>43908093
>earth... and water?
>you'll find plenty of that down there.
>>
>>43909554
I read a nice comic based on that, the midwife was replaced by a midget med teacher.
>>
>>43910925
Make sure they actually love you.
Be sure it's ok for them to move in the human realm or make up your mind about moving in the fae realm.
Marry it.
Love them and potential offspring.
Do not poke it with iron.
If they pose a condition to your love respect it for the love of all that's worth something to your eyes.
>>
>>43912774
>"You have to wash the dishes every day."
>"...That's it? Sure."
>Much, much later.
>"Damn, is it midnight already? Whatever, I can stay up a little longer. Still, I feel like I'm forgetting some-"
>"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>"Oh, shit."
>>
>>43912843
eh, I know at least two tales where the wife just goes and comes back every full moon to see the kids.
In one version she watch the kids at night, in the other, the father and the kids get to see her appear in a lake (but no touching)
>>
>>43907773
Homegrown Potatonigger here, I'm just sick and bored of fairies. For some reason the word fae/fey really annoys me. They're fucking fairies, just call them fairies, calling them fae/fay doesn't make them any cooler or spookier or hides the fact they're fucking fairies. At least call them Sidhe or something, because our Potato Fairies seem to be some of the more famous.

They are unanimously just shitty and weird and incomprehensible, better left alone, but sure, they'll just fuck with you regardless because they're obsessive, over-emotional, egotistical, smug assholes who people basically lived in fear of. In all the stories, there's always something shitty they do, they enslave SOMEBODY, curse SOMETHING or keep human souls in lobster cages or steal your children or whatever the fuck.

I'm also just burnt out on them because I worked in a folklore museum for a while as a tour guide and the stories are basically some of the most boring folklore tales out there, at least to me.
>>
>>43913091
I want to bone a selkie
>>
>>43913339
You'll just die, or your dick will shrivel off, and it'll be terrible, just like it is boning anything else in this country.
>>
>>43913339
>>43913430
Can confirm, Don't bone the Irish, it never ends well

This is my fetish
>>
>>43907873
Demons and daemons aren't the same thing, I don't think.
>>
>>43913546
Daemon is just the Latin of Daimon, which is where we get Demon, isn't it?
>>
>>43913546
Yes they are, daemon is just the way to spell démon in english since you don't have é.
Demon is your own take on the pronounciation.
>>
>>43913448
But why, in God's name? I'm Irish, I can tell you, my girlfriend does not enjoy any of it.
>>
>>43908743
Why dont they steal orphans?
>>
>>43913546
They are just different ways to spell it. RPGs sometimes use them as different things because apparently they can't use anything better than a minor spelling difference for inspiration.
>>
>>43909934
Oh nuckeavee,oh nuckeavee~
>>
File: 1265817353940.jpg (85 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
1265817353940.jpg
85 KB, 600x414
Most of what I learned about fey, comes from Rien Poortvliet's book on leprechauns, and the related cartoon.

Other fey fell by the wayside, here. We live in an artificial land, and we have shaped it since times long past. Without our works, half this place would be underwater. I don't think any fey live here.

I should watch that show again. It was pretty rad. Beats the shit out of most modern cartoons.
>>
>>43913874
Because then you can't blame the fairies on down's syndrome and cot death and any other amount of problems newborns can face, because that's what changelings are - kids with any amount of problems that don't act or look like what a peasant thinks babies look like.

Fairies were used an excuse for basically anything, and I mean anything. When you say 'I'm hungry' in Irish (what we call our version of Gaelic), you're actually saying 'The hunger is upon me', because the fairies put it there.
>>
>>43912686
Nice try, skeleton.
>>
>>43914442
http://www.bedetheque.com/serie-3460-BD-Algernon-Woodcock.html
>>
>>43909888
Some gods can be pretty nice, same with the occasional spirit of some kind.
>>
>>43907773

/tg/ thinks fairies are cute.

/tg/ thinks pixies are faggots.

/tg/ thinks fey are horrifying abominations on-par with daemons.
>>
>>43913091

"Fairy" typically brings a specific image to mind that isn't the sort of creature that /tg/ typically hates when talking about the fey. It's like using the word "Human" when talking about how a man of the Niger region stole your bicycle.

Fairies use magic to heal your wounds. Fey will use magic to expand them.
>>
>>43908130

Why do humans dislike mercury?
>>
>>43915266
>>43915333
The problem with this weird distinction is these words all mean, essentially, the same thing. Fairy and fey are just different words for the same thing.

I don't know about the vagaries of Brythonic Celtic folklore and other European folklore to this extent, hell, I don't know the vagaries for the rest of the damn world in which you've got 'little people' of all kinds and sorts who fulfill the same or incredibly similar roles, from Sidhe here in Ireland to Elves in Scandinavia and little bearded men in Hawaii or penis-stealing goblins in South Africa. All mischievous, often malignant in some way, strange, aloof little people.

In my experience you can't really designate too many labels for fairies, in the strictly Celtic sense. You have to very broad categorizations for the ones who live underground/in the Otherworld and like to go around being, at best, capricious, at worst, total monsters. These are called Trooping Fairies in Ireland, Seelie in England and Scotland, we call them trooping because they go about in groups fucking with people. Then you have the creepy weird looking shit that lives by itself out in the wilds, and they came in many shapes and sizes, including literal fishmen called Merrows (some people say they're just mermaids, but folk story The Soul Cages says different), Banshees (her name comes from the Irish 'Bean Sidhe', literally, Woman Fairy, or Woman of the Fairy Mound) and Púcas (shapeshifting fairy monsters) and even Leprechauns, which are most like their trooping cousins, they just have a monopoly on the fairy cobbling market.

Really, fairy/Sidhe/Daoine Sidhe is just a word for the weird and sometimes horrible stuff that comes from the Otherworld. It's a catch all term, might as well call them monsters because it covers a vast number of different entities.
>>
>>43907773
>feys like to make humans dance to death... but that's pretty much all of it
>death... that's all
Seriously? When people survive a meeting with the fae, it's strange and alarming enough to celebrate and pass on in story to your descendants.

You just need to be more familiar with the tales from your region.
>>
>>43915476
Most humans are fascinated with mercury, actually. They tend to like it a great deal.
>>
>>43915652
Of course they do. Shit makes you immortal, yo.
>>
What are the top three Fae you have the best chance of not only surviving an encounter with, but benefiting from?
>>
>>43915900
one off the top of my head is the Domovoi, and their equivalents in other cultures.
House-spirits basically, who will safeguard the home and generally keep things tidy if you leave them little gifts and respect them.
even at worst they tend to just act out karmic justice on shitty homeowners.
>>
>>43915701
Only the special float-y kind, though.
>>
>>43915900

1. House Spirits for the reasons >>43916180 gave.

2. Selkie, since they're only prone to murder if you're a huge cunt towards them, and otherwise are either ambiguously enslaved wives or cherished members of the family.

3. Huldra, since if you can find a reasonable one and know what to say, they're either beneficial business partners or the ultimate working man's wife (they lose the tail/hollow back on marriage, but none of their strength.)
>>
>>43907773

cause the whole concept is boring and stupid to everyone who isnt a medieval peasant
>>
>>43916180
>>43917869
The domovoi of an adventuring guild would have to be pretty darn buff.
>>
>>43907873
The original Greek word "dæmon" didn't represent an older form of the later Christian demon, but an entirely separate creature. The word literally meant "spirit," and could represent any kind of spirit, benevolent or malevolent. They're all dæmons. Later religions just borrowed the word and applied it to something else.
>>
>>43915900
Korrigans might take offense on you if you refuse to party and they usually party hard enough to kill humans from exhaustion. Fortunately, they like riddles so much they'll stop dancing untill they figure it out.
>>
>>43908215
Quick question relevant to a setting I've been working on for a while:

What the hell would fairies/fey think of a robot? A being entirely made by man, and out of metal, no less?

Would this opinion change if said robot had human-level intelligence?

Should I just put this question in a new thread?
>>
>>43925744
Probably would try fucking with it, to be honest. Can they tinker with it? Control it? They'd probably try messing it up because they probably don't understand it isn't just a piece of machinery we built that you'd chuck a gremlin into to screw up for laughs. Human-level intelligence robots would probably suffer around fairies.
>>
>>43913964
>When you say 'I'm hungry' in Irish (what we call our version of Gaelic), you're actually saying 'The hunger is upon me', because the fairies put it there
That seems to be to be some straight up nonsense, substantive+prepositions is just a general theme in Irish grammar.
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.