[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /tg/, I've been running Rise of the Rune Lord's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1447181318103.png (877 KB, 650x716) Image search: [Google]
1447181318103.png
877 KB, 650x716
Dear /tg/,

I've been running Rise of the Rune Lord's module for a group of friends and it's been a lot of fun, still learning some of the mechanics of the game but it hasn't been a problem so far. At this point of the campaign they found out that there's a goblin raid coming to town with 200+ of the little shits expecting to burn the place down. I've dropped some pretty big hints in game that they should strike at the goblins before the raid commences, but they are stuck on the idea that they should fortify the town and use what little recruits they've been able to get on top of the town guard to fight them off. They spent a week in game doing such and showed no signs of leaving town until the raid commences, which does sound like fun but that's where the problem comes in. I have no idea how to run a city sized battle with that many units.

Please help a new DM out and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
>>
just concentrate on their fight and make the rest up. Have consequences for them not leaving fight them before.
>>
Either fiat the battle one way or another where the players aren't involved, better still make it so if the players don't accomplish some objective (kill the gobbo general, defend the gate, some climatic thing) then the the town will be overrun. Do this if you want the PCs operating pretty much independently from the guards. Puts lots of flavour in for the battle happening all around though.

Or just do one-roll checks for units of 50ish gobbos vs guards. If the PCs are leading troops this is a better option are leading troops, have them add leadership or fighting or some single skill to their unit's roll. Again, lotsa flavour, go re-read your favourite novel where the heroes are in the middle of a big battle.

For a new GM I'd definitely advise option #1 though.
>>
>>43901259
>>43901678
Thank you both very much and a future thank you from the party, I was ready to have them roll all night for this game.
>>
>>43902194
just make notes of what happens in other places. Don't kill yourself trying to DM all that.
>>
you can look to a later book in rise of the runelords where sandpoint is attacked for ideas. i think the general idea is to break up the army of goblins into more cr appropriate sizes and have the party fight those.
>>
>>43903373
Do you recall which book it is?
>>
What level is the party?
>>
>>43903397
its book 4: fortress of the stone giants
>>
>>43903422
Only level 4, I wouldn't except them to live so I didn't plan for this to happen. I figured they would have thought the same thing.
>>
>>43903497
Thank you good sir.
>>
Ah, runelords. I remember my friends party wiping to the goblin commando under the floorboards twice.

Good times.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.