[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CitySphere!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Building an urban D&D setting for my next campaign.

It's a spherical demiplane with an artificial light in the middle of it, city around the outside. The "sun" is in fact the souls of everyone who has died in the city. The gods have no power or voice within the city.

"Adventurers" are not necessarily that special, they're just freelancers who are willing to take on dangerous jobs for money. Think Shadowrunners.

So there's the physics and the general setting, now I'm looking for some stuff for the plot. It will be a city of factions, and I will have the factions all working toward various goals, and the PCs can get involved in whichever plot threads they want. IE Sandbox/Node-Based Campaign on a timeline.

It will be a bit like a Ravnica or Sigil, but only in that it's going to be a big city-plane setting focused on factions.

Here are the factions I've got thus far.
>A cult that believes the demiplane is an egg. They think if they feed the plane enough souls the demiplane will become a god, itself, so they will do a combination of lots of ritual sacrifices, and kidnapping from other planes.
>A magic-research guild ruled over by a Wan-Shi-Tong type creature. They want to hoard knowledge and learn. (More Motivations/Goals here).
>An Anti-Guild faction that either secretly or overtly seeks to overthrow the guildmasters.
>A group of doomsayers who object to what the cult is doing, not on moral reasons so much as because they think the plane will get overfilled and explode if they keep importing and killing more souls.
Conclusion/Summary
>I'm looking for some ideas for factions and plot ideas for my urban D&D campaign I can use. Any Ideas?
>>
>Factions

Las Familias
Criminal import/export gang. It' a bunch of gangs from separate places treating this place as their center of operations. Obviously, quest hooks write themselves here.

Magicians of the Realm
Exactly what I am implying, but slightly different. The rich and the famous hiring advenurers to get things they want for reasons you don't want to know unless you like vomiting. Pays well, but you will always be dirty. Always.

The Hive
Pretty big insect people spreading the gospel of the Queen. They're actually quite nice, and working for them nets an improvement for everyone that isn't a douchebag. Which is a lot of people. You'll anger a lot of folks doing the right thing with them.
>>
>>43900908

So is it daytime 24/7?
>>
>>43901202
Less bright, but yes.

More like it's well-lit with slightly bluish LEDs.

>>43901159
Nice.
>>
>>43901512

A nice little detail to include would be something along the lines of everybody's circadian rhythm getting fucked with, so people can go something like 20-30 hours without sleeping but then they just collapse unexpectedly and sleep for 16 hours straight.
>>
>>43901595
I like it. This will definitely be a plot point.

>>43901159
>Magicians of the Realm
I will probably take a less "magical realm" on this, and change the name, but I do like the idea of someone with the shady dealings and collections of artifacts.

>The Hive
This is pretty cool. I really like it.

>Las Familias
So they're interplanar smugglers? That could be neat. Will require more mapping outside the kingdom, but still.

Anyways, three more for the list. :)
>>
>>43900908
The White Temple
>A "Religious" faction Largely Centered on spirit/ancestor worship. They can channel the dead. They are the ones who tend them.
>>
>>43901826
Horizon
Druid terrorists who see the place as completely unnatural. They bring in monsters to wreck the place, if they don't transform into them themselves.
>>
>>43903319
Hmm. I like it.

What might allied druids, who can appreciate their fabricated demiplane and tend to via nature, be like, in such a world?
>>
>>43903382
Pretty close to scientists. The whole place seems like a controlled environment, so you'd get a wacky Druid who creates weird plants and animals.

Also, one more faction.

>RAINBOW
A derogatory term for the local police. Either people in uniform or citizens who take up arms to protect their districts, they aren't liked by many but it's better to have them. Will give jobs to hit local gangs. Inadvertantly leads to more chaos as others come to fill the vacuum
>>
Just a note of interest. So far all art in this thread is from Magic the Gathering's setting "Ravnica" which is world cowered in huge city, governed by Ten Guilds. You might want to check it out for inspiration and sick urban fantasy art.
>>
File: Poops.png (14 KB, 707x583) Image search: [Google]
Poops.png
14 KB, 707x583
A transport tycoon is building an elevator system that takes advantage of the spherical nature of the plane to make transport from one district to the other easier, faster and more comfortable. The lines that pass closest to the sun are also somewhat of a tourist attraction for the lower classes.
In actuality, he's building a network of manaconductors along a three-dimensional web of leylines in order to [focus the sun into a death ray/steal all the souls for himself/open a portal/other].
>>
>>43901595
That, or people force sleeping schedules in their daily routines. Like in Norway and that thing that happens when the sun is up in the sky while it's like 3 PM
>>
Can't have a cityplane without an underground infestation of ratpeople clogging up the sexer!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.