[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: asventuring_party_by_artikid.png (232 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
asventuring_party_by_artikid.png
232 KB, 600x580
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Previous thread >>43866872

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

What are some classes, if any, you'd like to see added to 5e?
>>
>What are some classes, if any, you'd like to see added to 5e?
Proper artificer.
>>
>>43897599
I've always been a fan of psionics, and it seems that it won't be quite as not-magic judging based on the UA.

Other than that, i would actually prefer more archetypes for core classes, generally speaking, than entire full new classes, unless they have really good ideas and unique mechanics.
>>
Don't really want any new classes, except maybe psionic stuff for people who like that sort of thing. Some new subclasses could be neat.
>>
>>43897763
This, or maybe an alchemist. Really I'd like a class that can heal without it being explicitly divine magic.
>>
>>43898342
there's always bard
>>
A reminder that Bardic Horsecasting works, but only deals one instance of damage, as per Combining Magical Effects PHB 205.
>>
>>43898561
>A reminder that Bardic Horsecasting works
>>
>>43898342
>Really I'd like a class that can heal without it being explicitly divine magi
Any class with the Healer's kit.
>>
>>43898646
All the healer's kit does is stabilize a dying creature without requiring a Medicine check, unless I missed something.
>>
>>43898714
Ah, I meant the Healer feat and mistyped. The feat lets you expend a charge of a healer's kit to heal 1d6+Wis, though a creature can only be healed in that way once per short rest, iirc.
>>
>>43898823
Oh okay. That sounds a bit more useful, then.
>>
>>43898823
1d6+4+ max number of hit dice

Dumbass
>>
>>43897599
Pepsyonics
>>
Level Adjusted races: yay/nay

Frankly I do find it odd that all races are 'balanced'.

Minotaurs being weaker than Dwarves is probably the most egregious example.
>>
File: 1349649618315.jpg (50 KB, 404x267) Image search: [Google]
1349649618315.jpg
50 KB, 404x267
I don't have any wild magic users, nor have I dealt with the mechanic before but I am toying with the idea of introducing it for a particular part of the game. Specifically: I thought it might be interesting to have my players pass through a valley where casting a spell auto-triggers a wild-magic roll.

I bring this up because any time I see wild magic mentioned around these parts it seems to be as a part of shitting on it for either being an awful mechanic or being used to play stupid characters (I think.)

Should I avoid this altogether or tone it down so that there is only a chance of a wild magic effect? (Or implement it with some other modification?)
>>
>>43899999
I find it a bit odd as well but mechanically I hate them as much as I do prestige classes. It depends on the setting I guess but I don't think races should have that much impact. An elf npc wouldn't necessarily have higher dex, nor fey ancestry and the other class features, those are just the suggestions for adventurers. By the book that's not entirely the case though.
>>
>>43899999
>Level Adjusted races
Fucking never.

>>43900013
It's actually a pretty widely-used mechanic in Out of the Abyss. I'd say go for it.
>>
File: 1250891889207.jpg (15 KB, 577x359) Image search: [Google]
1250891889207.jpg
15 KB, 577x359
>running the Starter Set Campaign
>me and my mates hyped as fuck to FINALLY have the time to play
>using my place
>my heat
>my teabags
>I'm working all week
>get home of an evening and pore over the story, rules and monsters
>buy Italic pens and write out lists and stuff for them
>type up scripts and stuff I feel would help move it along
>hyped as fuck to DM
>get tuesdays off
>for the sake of giving me time to put it all together we do it every other tuesday
>4th session, exploring Phandalin
>pick up side quests and get to read out all the scripts I'd made for the NPC's
>have fun and feelin fine
>all part ways and all is well
>next day two of our group tell me something
>the long haired manchild who lives with his folks tells my mates behind my back that I shouldn't be part of their next one because I take so long between sessions
>mfw
He wants to play an edgelord Tiefling in our next campaign.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. I don't want him fucking up the next one by just killing everything.
>>
>>43900013
It depends on how big the area is and how high level the PCs are, if they are low level and won't stay there for longer than a day then they're not going to cast more than about 5-10 spells so having an effect on each is fine. If they would cast 50 or something then that would be tedious. As a side note I'd love to play that, rolling for wild magic (especially with the d10000 table) is great fun.
>>
>>43900144
To be fair, you do take too long writing a story on here.
>>
>>43900127
>Used in OotA
Ahhh, good to know. I'll take a look at how they implement it.

>>43900165
They are sixth level and it should probably last a session (with a chance to spill over into a second session.) I was considering using the PHB wild magic table but I do have the d10000 table you're referring to... I'll maybe have to do a handful of side-by side rolls to see how I feel about what the tables will end up doing.
>>
>>43900289
I used the d10000 table for a one shot and as long as you moderate how long the effects last then it's fun. In that session gold became invisible to them for 3 days and their hands, feet and head became invisible for 4 hours I think. He's quite the pussy though and is always paranoid (like when I didn't tell him the effect of the first roll he was really scared) so if you have easier going players you can have more lasting effects which should be interesting.
>>
File: speedfactor.jpg (359 KB, 457x1596) Image search: [Google]
speedfactor.jpg
359 KB, 457x1596
Why aren't you using speed factor yet? Do you hate fun or something?
>>
>>43901038
Because rerolling initiative every round is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>43901038
I would love to try out Popcorn initiative but if that doesn't sit well with the group and me this is probably my go-to.

>>43901069
Just do that for the first round then?
>>
>>43901069
Not really, waiting for people's turns is a bigger pain in the ass, and since delaying doesn't exist as RAW, turn order never changes.

You'll be surprised how much faster players go when everything is declared, and how much more alive it makes combat feel.

>>43901244
Look up Speed factored side initiative, 2E Combat & Tactics book has some interesting rules for that. Every round each side rolls initiative just once, ties result in an event; 1s and 10s can make the whole side slower or faster.
>>
File: mcmillan.jpg (62 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
mcmillan.jpg
62 KB, 630x420
>>43901038
>at the cost of speed of play
>>
>>43901438
>since delaying doesn't exist as RAW, turn order never changes
Speed factor has rerolling every turn.

>Once everyone has acted, the process repeats. Everyone in the battle selects an action, rolls initiative, and takes turns in order.
>>
>>43900144
He sounds like an ass but you don't need 2 weeks to prep a session especially not a pregen
>>
>>43901702
>I'm working all week
>get tuesdays off
He could be spending nights as well but if not then he is spending a day prepping, excluding weekends. Writings scripts does indicate he could cut down on the prep time though.
>>
I want to play the highest damage class I can next time I play, what should I reroll for?
>>
>>43902538
Fighter or paladin.
>>
>>43897599
I would love to see a Necromancy based class or an inquisitor class if they ever decide to make any new classes, but I don't think that will happen. Tbh Idk if they will make any new classes at all since they can just make archetypes instead.
>>
>>43898342
I would love to play an alchemist with the healer feat and just basically become some kind of doctor. Rp wise my favorite character I have ever made was a German doctor I made in a 3.5 campaign. (It was a weird campaign)
>>
File: 1426092319300.jpg (80 KB, 478x555) Image search: [Google]
1426092319300.jpg
80 KB, 478x555
Guys, I have an obsession with the Trox race from PF. Anyone able to convert them to 5e D&D? I'm so sorry.
>>
>>43902905
I could take a crack at it. I have 8 hours to kill at work. Could you post everything stat wise about the race or post the stat block?
>>
>>43901038
I would love to use it but I don't think my players would go for it.
>>
File: 1384924527554.jpg (233 KB, 618x746) Image search: [Google]
1384924527554.jpg
233 KB, 618x746
>>43902953
THANK YOU I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK
>>
>>43902991
XD no need for that.

Well the only sad thing is we have to shrink them since player characters aren't allowed to be large races but outside of that is seems like a straightforward conversion:

> str +2, con +1, darkvision 60, speaks common and primordial
> speed 30, burrow speed 30
> skill proficiency w/ athletics
> advantage on athletics check to grapple someone
> Frenzy: once per long rest you can enter a frenzy for one minute. During this time you gain advantage on attack rolls and gain temporary hp equal to your level, but enemies have advantage on attack rolls against you.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43901038
I really wanna try it out but currently I'm in a group with 8 players and the DM, it takes long enough to get through combat as is.

Have you actually use it? And how did it go?
>>
>>43902538
What do you mean by "highest damage"?

Highest single target burst?
Highest single target over time?
Highest AoE burst?
Highest AoE over time?
>>
>>43903184
>Would it be better tomake Primordial into Dwarven or Undercommon?
>Burrow Speed 3p sounds like too much, what about 20?
>Atletics and Intimidation?
>Can I still Grapple an extra person?
Otherwise, gimme yo digits, i'm gonna drain you
>>
>>43902538
Well depending on what you mean by highest damage and depending on what level your campaign caps at your best bet would either be a fighter or Paladian, or a wizard. Paladians can deal more damage early levels but after you get to level 20 fighters can deal the highest dpt. Either way you need to use a greatsword or mail and use the gwf fighting style. Then at level 4, or level 1 if you go variant human, get the gwm feat.

Wizards are just op. Just get to late level and warp reality.
>>
Why so few feats in 5e? They finally made feats super fun and then they made them nearly impossible to get
>>
>>43903250
It would not make sense to change primordial to dwarvish or undercommon. The race speaks terran so primordial covers that and the other elemental races. If you really want to you can change primordial to terran but that's a bit of a self nerf.

Burrow speed 20 works just fine and may be more balanced. Idk how broken burrowing could get so I just matched the burrow and walk speed since fly speeds for pc's usually match walk speed.

Yeah athletics and intimidation proficiency seems fair since otherwise they get very few class features.

No you can only grapple one person at a time.

I'm posting my phone number here. If you really wanna talk outside of tg my email is [email protected]
>>
A grappling druid is the most broken thing in the game. Giant eagle for dem 20d6 damage is helllllaaaaa broken.
>>
>>43903413
Because they fear feat abuse, which is a legitimate fear for them to have. A lot of feats are really powerful if used right. Especially GWM.
>>
>>43903521
nigga dats dedication right there
although this is the internet so you might wanna take that down real quicklike
>>
>>43903521
I'm not posting my phone number here*

how did autocorrect fuck that up?
>>
>>43903547
>grappling anything of worth with a +3 modifier
>then spending nearly 3 full rounds of dashing to get up that high
>meanwhile the creature can attack you with impunity
>26 hit points, 13 AC
>you then drop and take the same amount of falling damage

Fuck it. If they get them up that high and don't fall themselves, they deserve it.
>>
>>43903564
Fuck I really do not care but I probably will. My email is worthless to hack but I don't wanna deal with hackers either.
>>
>>43903611
Also
>nothing stopping the grappled creature from grappling you or knocking you prone themselves so you take the falling damage even without dropping wildshape form
>>
>>43903619
nah man i just mean fuccbois spamming you
>>
>>43903750
>>43903619
Or tracking you down, finding out about your FA campaign with all the inflation art in your favorites, and telling your entire family on Facebook about it.
>>
>>43903822
wat
>>
>>43903750
Spam is nothing I care about, plus this ain't /b/. I doubt any really harm will come of it.

>>43903822
What is a FA campaign?
and I don't have any inflation anything.
>>
File: these things happen.png (96 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
these things happen.png
96 KB, 500x525
>>43903822
>>43903838
>>43903920
*FA account

Shit.
>>
>>43903920
oh, well, alright
>>
Working on a setting, what are some good traits for a plant PC race?
>>
>>43903942
Yeah.

I actually just reported the post to try to get it removed. Hopefully it will work and won't get counted against me.

>>43903956
I think there are some plant races in the monster manual. Most are vulnerable to fire but have solid dex and con. I think.
>>
>>43904060
>I actually just reported the post to try to get it removed. Hopefully it will work and won't get counted against me.
Click the check box next to the post, scroll to the bottom-right of the screen and hit "Delete."
>>
>>43904075
I'm on mobile. I see no check box. The only options I saw were report and hide, and hide only hides it from me.
>>
>>43904060

Right now I have +2 to dex or the entire race, and +1 to charisma and +1 to intelligence for the two different subraces. Fire vulnerability isn't thematic and if it was they'd be the only race with a vulnerability.
>>
>>43904113
Does dex really make sense for a plant race? In general I think they'd more +con and +wis. That depends on the type of plant race though, I guess.
>>
>>43904113
Very true.

Another thing, they would need lots of water but no food and they would have either nature or survival skill proficiency since they are literally plants.
>>
>>43904146
You are literally a human but you aren't a surgeon
>>
>>43904133
>>43904146

They're humanoid and based off carnivorous plants, so I don't have trouble imagining them being limber and running around like any other PC race.

Nature/survival proficiency is a good idea, for the entire race I have mundane disease immunity and halfling's poison resistance.

For the first subrace (flowering) they have radiant damage resistance, and for the other subrace (co-existing with fungal species) they have darkvision and necrotic damage resistance.

I'm fine with the base racial traits but I need more for the subrace traits.

They're plants but they aren't more in tune with nature than other races, and they don't have any formal religion so wisdom is out.
>>
>>43904187
But a human can chose any one skill proficiency they desire, including medicine, so a human can be a surgeon, or a wrestler with athletics, or a jester with performance.

A plant, who would most likely grew up with plants surrounded by plants in a more natural setting, probably close to an elven city, would probably have solid knowledge about plants and nature. Just my opinion.
>>
>>43904235
You mean the Dwarven poison resistance?
>>
>>43903207
Round-Robin is terrible with big groups, especially noobs. You end going as fast as the slowest player, everyone overthinks their turns and overacts because "it's their time in the spotlight" after waiting nearly half an hour.

While with speed factor, thanks to the declaration round, eventually you'll end up going as fast as the fastest player, decisiveness is contagious. Also, everyone RPs at the same time for the most part, it turns into a kind of talking phase; very popular with my groups.
Speed factor puts a lid on trying to time everything perfectly, people butting in on other players turns and nerfs offensive casters somewhat.
Power gamers that like timing everything perfectly will get mad(but they're mad delaying isn't in 5E anyways), but a vast majority players in my groups like it a lot once they actually play it, because it makes the fight feel more like a battle and everyone is engaged.

In terms of time, it's a wash really. You save time because of the declaration round though, and you spend that time everyone doing something, rather than waiting around for your turn.
If you really want to save a bit of time, you can also use it with side initiative, that can cut down on rolls if you're worried about mass combat. One roll(after declarations), everyone just adds their modifiers to it, it works out alright. 2E Combat & Tactics explains side layered speed factor, if you're interested in something crunchy and fun tables.
>>
File: 1448515988676.gif (10 KB, 197x168) Image search: [Google]
1448515988676.gif
10 KB, 197x168
>>43904291

I'm not even including playable dwarves so I keep forgetting that they have it.
>>
>>43904364
Interesting. Ok then.
>>
File: undye.gif (350 KB, 540x620) Image search: [Google]
undye.gif
350 KB, 540x620
Stat me /5eg/
>>
>>43904475
Sahuagin monk? fighter? maybe paladin?
>>
File: 1448603959241.jpg (190 KB, 700x1182) Image search: [Google]
1448603959241.jpg
190 KB, 700x1182
>>43904475

Paladin multiclassed into Undying bladelock.

EB are spears.
>>
>>43904317
Do you have a PDF of Combat & Tactics? I'd love to check it out.

And how do you think I should try and get my group to get it a whirl? Most everyone views it with some amount of trepidation.
>>
>>43904475

You know, I've been avoiding as much info on that game as I'm able, and all these pics and gifs of the characters have been pretty hilarious sans-context...

Is that some rythim game of undyne achieving orgasm? Cause that's what I'm imagining there.

This question is rhetorical.
>>
File: 1447466169808.gif (882 KB, 540x600) Image search: [Google]
1447466169808.gif
882 KB, 540x600
>>43904587
>>
>>43901038
>Why aren't you using speed factor yet? Do you hate fun or something?
We tried it and we hate it.

It takes forever to re-do initiative and suss out everyone's turns at once. Also, it makes us feel like our characters are being played by retarded video-game AI since all their moves are determined in advance, and not responsive to changes that happened in the past six seconds. Like my archer will just stand there like a lemon if all the enemies in range were cleared out before his turn came up.

>>43904587
>I've been avoiding as much info on that game as I'm able
If you have ten bucks and a good... 10 hours to spend, you can just play it. Even if you only bother to get one or two of the endings, as long as you pay attention you'll be good on most of the spoilers. I've gotten through like 4 or 5 playthroughs in 53 hours, and I've been playing pretty casually.

>undyne's O-face?
Not a spoiler, but that's actually supposed to be her frustrated face. She's mad because the green heart is blocking all of her attacks. Her hand's animation does make it seem like a sexual thing in that gif, but that's not the way it is in-game.
>>
File: Race - Plantfolk (Johan) v0.2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Race - Plantfolk (Johan) v0.2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43904235
I made this quite long ago, dropped it quite quickly but there's some ideas you can steal maybe.
>>
>>43904956

Blend in and never truly asleep are are pretty good ideas, thanks. But that still doesn't give me any traits for the subraces.
>>
If I really want a bard with mage armour and GFB/BB, should I dip 2 Warlock for the invocations and pact slots, or 1 dragon sorcerer for scales?
>>
>>43905065
Well the Dragon sorcerer dip would work quite well but you could also go variant human and get the magic initiate feat. Chose to get your spells from the sorcerer list so the cantrips use cha.
>>
>>43905056

Alright, I figured it out. I'll give the sleep awareness to both subraces, blend in to the flower subrace, and some kind of variant on armor of agathys but with poison damage to the fungal subrace.

How should it work? Maybe scale temp HP and damage to prof + con mod x a number kind of like dragonborn breath weapon?
>>
File: 59580104[1].jpg (176 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
59580104[1].jpg
176 KB, 500x500
>MFW the jackass that whined to the store owner until he forced me to let him play in the group starts to act suicidal with his fucking nartuo tier cleric/rogue/monk build.
I have never wanted to intentionally kill off a character before this.
>>
>>43905113
Magic initiate would only give protection for 8 hours a day, and if I'm going lore bard, I doubt that'll cut it forever. One level will grab me 2 spells, including things like magic missile I normally couldn't access, 4 cantrips, permanent scaly mage armour, and draconic plus expertise for charisma checks with dragons.
>>
>>43904870
They were playing like retarded AI because your group was retarded, and didn't read the rules. You skipped a phase pretty much.

You can change targets(2E and earlier wanted type usually) and movement isn't declared. Ready actions more often if you want to get some coordinated wombo-combos going.
If your players can't remember a single number, you can put some bent index cards on the DM screen or make them into a deck.
>>
>>43905201
Do it. Bait him into a honeypot and then have him die horribly. Just make sure to avoid killing the party in the process
>>
>>43905210
You really don't need it for more than 8 hours a day unless your DM is running you through the gauntlet. But do as you will, either way works just fine.
>>
>>43905201
Cursed item time? Cursed item time.

What class is he?
>>
>>43905408
>What class is he
Trickery cleric 2/Rogue 2/Monk 2
>>43905362
I don't want to actually take that step over to being that asshole. If he dies I want it to be because he was an idiot not because I set it up.
>>
>>43905467
Well you could always throw a cursed item at him that has the potential to kill him but also can be overcome if he actually tried to overcome the curse instead of embracing it like a masochist.
>>
Has anyone had any/put any thought into mass combat for 5e? I've been looking at the Battlesystem from UA, but I'm not sure if it's the best method.
>>
>>43905467

Rule of thumb is if you're not a smart enough DM to trick him into killing himself legit, you deserve having to deal with the idiot.
>>
>>43905201
If its an AL thing you should have let him play unless like 7+ players already
>>
>>43905855
Its not AL but there already were 6 players and they had all previously made their characters. I had everything ready and we were about to get started when he asked me if he could join. I told him that we had enough people and any more would just slow down the game. He whined to the store owner about it and the owner said all games must be open invitation. I asked if he would be fine waiting until next week and he demanded to play today.

I ended up having to sit down and waist 45 minutes rolling him up a character taking away from my players time because he was being a brat.

>>43905849
Once again its not that I am not smart enough to trick him the fucking idiot jumped into a pool of water that he knew had two aggressive water elementals inside it even after the party realized they wouldn't leave the water to attack them. He decided there "MUST BE TREASURE IN THE WATER" and dove in without bothering to try to see any from the surface.
>Mfw the party beat the elementals and the idiot asked what he got from the pool

I don't want to be that DM that just does stuff to spite a person I don't like. That is a slippery slope I don't want to fall down.
>>
>>43905833
Page 250 in the DMG.
>>
File: thats the trash can.gif (3 MB, 525x524) Image search: [Google]
thats the trash can.gif
3 MB, 525x524
>>43905944
>I don't want to be that DM that just does stuff to spite a person I don't like.

That's your job though, kill the characters that are stupid and annoying. Eventually the players will make good ones.
>>
Have I understood correctly, that at level 5 a monk can, by spending 2 ki points, do 2 normal attacks, and up to 4 flurry of blows attacks?
>>
>>43905944
Everytime he does something in game, ignore him. wait for the last few minutes before your session is scheduled to end to address him. When he talks shit about it, apologize profusely, but claim you already explained that you can't handle a game of seven players.
>>
>>43905944

Ok, well there seems to maybe be more to this story than you're telling us.

You said he whined to get in? That sort of implies nobody wanted him in the first place? Do the players want him there? Is his character ruining everyone's fun? Why do you care so much about being impartial in this case if the player is an actual problem?
>>
>>43906018
just 2 flurry attacks. It still costs a bonus action.
>>
>>43906023
It sounds like he doesn't want to get a bad reputation at this public gaming venue.
>>
>>43906037
Sounds like it's already ruined, he let one person hold the group for 45 minutes with a snowflake character. Should told him make a straight non-caster or use a pre-made.
>>
File: latest[1].png (162 KB, 511x556) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
162 KB, 511x556
>>43906023
>You said he whined to get in? That sort of implies nobody wanted him in the first place?
I didn't want him there because the group was ready to play and I had everything balanced for six players. I had to change shit on the fly as well as losing almost an hour to helping him make a new character.
>Do the players want him there?
They don't really seem to care but his shitty decision making did piss them off while playing
>Is his character ruining everyone's fun?
A little. I have dealt with worse players before. He is however ruining my fun by being annoying and slow.
>Why do you care so much about being impartial in this case if the player is an actual problem?
Because I don't want to be a cunt to this person just because I was forced to include them. Me being hostile will do nothing but kill the fun for the other players and piss off the store owner. I don't like the guy and think his character is fucking retarded. Mainly I just want to punch the guy because he was being a pushy twat that wouldn't take a polite no for an answer.

>>43906020
I will not be a petty cunt and get banned from running games at this store.

>>43906061
I didn't want to limit what he could play because I didn't do it for the other players.

>>43906008
No my job is try to set up a fun world for players to have fun in. Going out of my way to kill annoying characters is not part of my job as a DM.
>>
>>43897599
>What are some classes, if any, you'd like to see added to 5e?
Alchimist
>>
So when playing a great fighter or a polearm fighter, which archetype do you prefer?

I have a great fighter written up as champion, and a pole fighter as battlemaster.
>>
>>43906110
Battlemaster goes in all fields.
>>
>>43897599
I want them to finish the Mystic, and I'd appreciate the Artificer getting a full-class overhaul by the time we're officially in Eberron.
>>
File: littlekingjohn.png (60 KB, 413x451) Image search: [Google]
littlekingjohn.png
60 KB, 413x451
>>43906088
You're also the judge and the game world itself. You have to decide what does and doesn't belong in your game.Being able to recognize cancer characters before they crash your campaign with no survivors, is an important skill to have as DM.

Believe me, I used to think like you once. This advice will save you a lot of grief and will improve your players.
>>
File: 105binding[1].jpg (53 KB, 362x423) Image search: [Google]
105binding[1].jpg
53 KB, 362x423
Why is magic circle so shit in 5e
>Only lasts an hour
>Not a ritual
>No special rule for keeping creatures bound inside
>No way to make a permanent one
>Creature can attack through the circle with impunity save for disadvantage
>>
>>43906141
>When you cast this spell, you can elect to cause its magic to operate in the reverse direction, preventing a creature of the specified type from leaving the cylinder and protecting targets outside it.

I think the reason for its weakness is they don't want using Planar Binding to be easy.
>>
I've been thinking about making a full complement of 'variant' races to match the variant humans (viz. losing certain racial features and gaining a feat of your choice) how many/which racial traits should each race lose to make the feat not horribly unbalance them?
>>
how compatible is the final playtest packet with the published 5e? i'm just getting back into it and i don't want to have to use the horrible UA warforged, among other things.
>>
Is seeking immortalit evil? I was going to have my character's motivation for adventuring being finding immortality. He wants to experience everything of life (everything, good, bad, inbetween whatever) and he knows he can't do that in a single lifetime so while he travels finding new experiences he's also searching for a way to never die.
>>
>>43905944
Then don't use the store space
>>
>>43906406
Honestly this sounds like a true neutral character. He does not seek one goal but many smaller goals and works forwards one goal to achieve all other goals, and these goals balance in terms of what alignment they would be favored by. Also I'm willing to bet this is a wizard because this sounds like a goal a wizard would strive for.
>>
>>43906468
>Honestly this sounds like a true neutral character
Exactly right.

>>43906468
>I'm willing to bet this is a wizard because this sounds like a goal a wizard would strive for.
Actually a lore bard but he's pretty much just a charismatic not-wizard.
>>
>>43906493
Sounds solid to me. Lore bards are pretty cool.
>>
>>43906398
Honestly if it's a home game just talk to your DM about reworking the UA warforged. I tried to find the latest Pdf but I couldn't find the one with the warforged. The UA warforged is able to be salvaged and fixed without too much hassle.
>>
Is there a guide to the character sheets somewhere? I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to go in "additional features & traits" that's a huge box for something that I can't even think of. I already put passive traits in the smaller "features & traits" box
>>
>>43906716
Basically that's where your class and race features go, like if you have sneak attack or if you have fire resistance. Stuff like that. You can also put feat details in there if you ever pick one up.
>>
>>43906863
Yeah but on the character sheet (official) it has a second box on the second page. Am I supposed to put the entire description of the traits or something? Seems like way too much space.
>>
>>43906879
Some people write in bigger print, some people have a lot of stuff to write as they get to later levels, some people write in detail what their features do to remember . That's my guess at least
>>
File: 1370982823891.gif (1 MB, 360x260) Image search: [Google]
1370982823891.gif
1 MB, 360x260
>>43906716
>>43906879
Best character sheet coming through.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234
>>
>>43907095
Are you talking about the sheet printable file there? Cause
>doesn't have pdf forms
Dropped.
>>
>>43907106
You fill it out in excel in the start tab, it's pretty fancy; has drop boxes and everything.
>>
>>43907146
Oh I take it I was supposed to download the generator .zip file then. I'll give it a go.
>>
>>43906110
Are you a half orc? Otherwise, battle master.
>>
>>43907516
Human, always human. But isn't the battlemaster entirely reliant on the superiority dice? So once those are gone don't you start to have a bad day?.
>>
>>43907779
You get way more superiority dice than you'll roll natural 19s between short rests. Being a champion really only helps when you roll that 19, because everybody crits on a 20 anyway. Are you really going to roll four 19s before taking a short rest? You'd have to make about 80 attacks for that to be likely.
>>
>>43907927
>>43907779
Not to mention, 19s come at random, so the champion is going to waste a lot of them exploding kobolds or similar instances of overkill. Battlemasters can choose to use their superiority dice when it matters most.
>>
>>43907927
>>43907982
Talking early levels I agree, but doesn't the additional fighter style give a bit more credence to some builds?
>>
>>43908077
So does the regen later on, but what really sells me on Champion is >>43907982's exploding kobolds. Half-orc just makes it likely to be numerically beneficial sometimes too.
>>
>>43907927
Increasing the threat range is extremely powerful in 5E, and very rare, thanks to advantage. Out of the gate, battle master is better, around mid level and some items, extra-attacks and buff spells later-- champion will out scale the battlemaster. Even if they get short rests between each encounter and use all their dice for each battle.

>80 attacks

80 dice rolls you mean. If you could have advantage on all of those attack(with support, barb dip, and selecting your targets well, it's very possible), that would mean you'd only need 40 attacks.
At level five you get an extra attack, so twenty attack actions. Toss in a opportunity attack every round, that's 3 attack rolls per round, with advantage that's 6 per round.

13.3333 rounds of combat with advantage at level 5 would get those 19s in an ideal world. That's about medium encounters or a real long one I'd say.
>>
>>43900013
Wild magic is only not a great option because there's hardly any non-randomlul bonuses early on.
>>
>>43908228
Combine that with Half-orc, each crit is 2d8 or more, and it's very possible.
>>
build me a cool barbarian. Not the big stupid smasher, something cool to play.
>>
>>43908451
Do it yourself.
>>
>>43908486
i can't...
>>
File: Dresden.jpg (29 KB, 400x608) Image search: [Google]
Dresden.jpg
29 KB, 400x608
Got a new character concept I'm trying to make and I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest something that represents it well mechanically.

So here goes:
The character is a former spell thief, stealing magical enchantments and spells and selling them to the highest bidder, removing acing scrying impediments like obfuscation and wards, or tracing, identifying, breaking, or altering any kind of "legitimate" magic at all really. Once he stole a spell he would either scribe it to a scroll to sell it or just examine the spellcraft of the spell itself (massive stacking of Arcana and Religion skills) to learn everything possible about the one who crafted the spell. He eventually got busted for his crimes, but cut a deal and started working as an investigator with law enforcement using his particular talents to find renegade mages or magically inclined criminals and to expose other people like himself.

So mechanically my first thought is Arcane Trickster Rogue, but they don't actually get spell stealing until extremely high levels. Lore Bard might be another good fit thematically, or even Diviner or Abjurer wizard with ranks in Stealth and Investigation. Hell, even a mage-hunter paladin might work as a stretch. Background is easier with either Criminal or Spy being a good fit.

I'm not really familiar with the Unearthed Arcana content or the new supplements but I'll look over those next to see if there's a better fit but a nod in the right direction might help.

Is something like this possible within the system or am I just creating a character too broad in scope?

TL;DR: Best mechanical representation for an Occult Detective, Mage Private Investigator, or Bounty Hunter of Wizards.
>>
Archivist.
Though it would make a good wizard tradition.
Because fuck clerics for getting magic domain.
>>
Fisherman Sailor Totem Barbarian with Aspect of the Whale (Bear mechanically) that uses a Glaive styled as a long Trident with Polearm Master/Sentinel (optional Great Weapon Master).

Calls himself the rock upon which the tides of their enemies shall break. Begins every battle by taking up a position in a bottleneck or by just being a wall for his friends to stand behind. Uses his action to Ready an additional reaction attack if nothing is in range, then stops enemies in their tracks as they approach him and trapping them inside of his range (and his rage). Optional throwing tridents with ropes tied to them or even nets to force enemies into engaging you since extra attack gives you two throws per turn (though not with nets for some reason). DM might even let you try to drag them into range with an opposed athletics (strength) check if they are restrained by the net or if you "hook" one with a trident.
>>
>>43908834
Should be referencing
>>43908451
>>
>>43908820
>Archivist, Artificer, Alchemist
Add in an Anatomist and I'd be mostly sold on making these the actual wizard archetypes and killing off schools outright.
>>
>>43908834
cool
>>
>>43908851
Well I agree for making Artificer a tradition too silly. But for Archivist it would make sense.
>>
Anyone have any decent 5e Lizardfolk stuff?
>>
>>43909032
Check out Southlands Heroes, there is a Lizardfolk race.
>>
File: Lizardfolk.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lizardfolk.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43909032
>>
File: Transmogrifist.jpg (353 KB, 400x554) Image search: [Google]
Transmogrifist.jpg
353 KB, 400x554
>>43897599
I'm going to go out on limb here with an odd one:

Master Transmogrifist

It'll need a new name from the old prestige class but essentially I want an Arcane version of the Moon Druid that is limited to humanoids, magical creatures, monstrosities, or aberrations. I just like the idea of transforming as a class feature rather than a few devoted polymorph spell slots and concentration checks all over the place. It becomes especially neat if you keep the flavor from the prestige class and let the player mix and match aspects of different favored forms to create their own Frankenstein creation creature forms. Really feels fitting in worlds where horrible wizard creations gone wrong already walk around.
>>
>>43908878
As much as artificer as a Tradition doesn't replicate the Eberron artificer, I've always thought the Eberron artificer was kind of nonsensical.

Infusions, great at magical engineering and, well, artifice: Rad as fuck, makes perfect sense for Eberron.
Also having armor and weapon proficiencies: out of fucking nowhere, there's simply no narrative justification for that being part of the same suite of abilities. It's just...tacked on.

Archivist's the one that was from a horror supplement, right? The Dark Knowledge stuff doesn't really translate well out of a Lovecraftian or gothic horror setting.
>>
>>43909068
Yup, Heroes of Horror.
I don't know why the Archivist was included in that book, it was a wizard that casts divine spells with gimmicks. Should've been included in PH2 instead.
>>
>>43909068
>gothic horror setting.
I really do hope they bring back the Forbidden Lore specialist in Ravenloft 5e (forgot the name, Divination and Necro dual specialist with Bardic Lore as a class ability)
>>
>>43897763
>>43898342
I also want Artificers/Alchemists.

I'd also like to see a focus on more non-caster classes and variants of extant classes with supernatural, clearly magical powers but no spell lists. Magic is neat and making everyone have some level of magical aptitude makes sense in the heroic fantasy D&D is designed to support, but just slapping a spell list on everyone feels unpleasant. Something akin to Invocations (in the sense that you gain them as you level and pick from a list that grant powers, at-will spells and the like) would be rad.

I'd also like to see Race-As-Class options; not so much "To be an Elf you must take the Elf Class at 1st level" but "To take the Elf Class you must be an Elf" and it gives a series of proficiencies, ribbons, and powers that are common to that race's archetype in the world.
>>
>>43909197
>I'd also like to see Race-As-Class options; not so much "To be an Elf you must take the Elf Class at 1st level" but "To take the Elf Class you must be an Elf" and it gives a series of proficiencies, ribbons, and powers that are common to that race's archetype in the world.

Like the dwarf Battlerager and the elf Bladesingers in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide?

I know a lot of people hate racial feats but I think racial archetypes are a pretty good idea, especially when they fit the flavour of the campaign setting.

Although I still hope they find a way to upgrade Warforged without forcing it into a class feature. Maybe every ability score increase they can instead select an upgrade?
>>
>>43909197
I remember that either 3.5 or 4th ED tried to do the Race-as-class thing with a special "Racial Paragon" class or something. As I recall it ended up with some of them being way too narrow in scope and some of them just a horrbile monk-esque mishmash of ideas with no synergy (human specifically). It seemed to be built for flavor and role-playing ability with very little concern for mechanical ability (except for races who are only known for being warriors like orcs). Might have been fun in a campaign where everyone played a paragon, but mostly a trainwreck by my assessment.
>>
>>43909319
>Maybe every ability score increase they can instead select an upgrade?
You mean warforged specific feats? Because even though they have done this it is a very slippery slope to start down. And they've been avoiding adding new feats so far it seems.
>>
Hey guys, I'm a recent refugee from Pathfinder Society OP which has got me looking at 5e in my area. I picked up the PHB yesterday at my FLGS and I played a few sessions to get my character to level two, and I'd like to ask for some advice.

I'm planning on making a Ranger 3 and then going full fighter, with archery as a focus but TWF as a backup option. Dex build of course.

Is this a good call? My Pathfinder experience makes me want to take something as underwhelming as the ranger and try to make it super good. I'm envisioning taking tons of shots with Break the Horde and Action Surge, each doing an extra 1d6 from Hunter's Mark and clearing the board. Thoughts?
>>
>>43909132
Yeah, a Ravenloft adventurer's guide would be pretty awesome.

You wouldn't even need entirely new archetypes: there's a ton you can do just by saying "replace this level X class feature with this unique Ravenloft sweetness".

In fact I hope that's what happens, as it would really refine the rules for the setting.

Cleric Variant: Archivist where it uses a payer book and has a Dark Knowledge channel divinity? It's basically one-and-done to convert it.
>>
>>43909377
imo you should never multiclass a martial that gets extra attack before you get extra attack. It's too huge of a power leap to ignore that. Remember that ability score increases as class features as well, not something you get automatically every few levels.
>>
>>43909197
>>43909319
I think race-as-class is a perfect sort of prestige class for 5e's outline of it. You could call it "Dwarf Paragon", "Elf Paragon", etc.

...in fact, I think I've seen someone do a Dwarf PrC for 5e at some point in the past two months. I'll try and dig that up.
>>
>>43909377

As a pure archer Battlemaster Fighter > Ranger

Rangers key advantages are primarily via exploration and non-combat utility.

Multiclassing Ranger/Battlemaster just doesn't do that much good.
>>
File: svirfneblin_magic.png (137 KB, 427x294) Image search: [Google]
svirfneblin_magic.png
137 KB, 427x294
>>43909375
They did this in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, it seemed to bother a lot of people although I don't understand why (I guess racial feats just carry a stigma because of 3.5?).

The Keith Baker Warforged is a lot nicer than the Unearthed Arcana one, but they do need to find a way to add in Warforged upgrades. If the variant human can forgo ability score increases for a feat, and variant rules allow any character to forgo ability score improvements for a feat, why not have a "variant" Warforged with either racial feats, or something baked into the racial traits?
>>
>>43909426

Oh shit, you're totally right. I hadn't considered that.

So...

Ranger 5, full fighter? Instead of more dex I may just pick up Sharpshooter; that feat's amazing. Feats and cantrips are exceedingly strong in this game, by the way. If I were taking the easy build route, I'd make a human fighter pikeman with great weapon fighting, sentinel and polearm mastery. It actually makes battlefield control with a reach weapon good.
>>
>>43909426
Your opinion is good.
>>
>>43909319
Kind of, but more as a whole class that maybe only has a few levels (Like 4-5) so you can't just be an Elf 20.

>>43909348
I didn't like the paragons because they were spread too thin and didn't have enough effect, yeah. I thought like, I'll use Elf as an example, you might get a ribbon that extends their lifespan with each level, but then add actually useful things in each one. Maybe (and this is out my ass, but feel free to critique):

Elf 1 - Able to treat Elf Weapon Training melee weapons as Finesse. +1 to Attack with EWT ranged weapons. Learn Elvish (if not already learned), a couple skill proficiencies, and proficiency with the herbalism kit. Lifespan increases by 100 years.
Elf 2 - EWT ranged weapon damage bonus +2. Speak With Animals at will. Treat Charisma as +2 when speaking to Elves and Animals. Learn Sylvan (if not already learned).
And so on, Iunno. Something that would best be used for a multiclass with something that complements, but wouldn't be absolutely useless when mixed with another class if you wanted to make an Arcane Archer by being an elven Elf/Wizard, for example.
>>
>>43909446

I'll take a look at that, thanks. I may just retrain my levels.
>>
>>43909197
>>43909429

I really like the idea of race-exclusive archetypes. The Battlerager and the Bladesinger were a good start, especially the way Bladesinger recreated the Elf Fighter-Magic-User of older editions.
>>
>>43909458
Keep in mind that extra attack from multiple classes don't stack. Two levels of fighter is good for some extra nova, but you might be better doing something like two levels of rogue for more versatility, or just sticking with pure hunter ranger so you can take sharpshooter and boost your Dex earlier. Hell, even druid levels might be good for extra versatility, spells, and slots.
>>
I'm currently working on my own take on prestige classes. Rather than whole classes that you multi-class into, I prefer the idea of a prestige archetype that replaces your existing class archetype (either permanently or for however many levels the prestige archetype lasts.) That way you remain a mono-classed character, but you get a range of exciting new powers. The compromise is that you retain your class features, but miss out on archetype features.
>>
>>43909605
That's a hard fit since subclass progression is unique to each class. Which means a different progression for each class. At which point they might as well just be sub classes.
>>
>>43909637
The idea would be for prestige archetypes to be linked to base class, although you could still have prestige archetypes that applied to multiple classes. In this model, your Soul Blade (Fighter) would be slightly different to your Soul Blade (Paladin) to match the base class's progression.
>>
>>43909480
>>43909197

I like 5e's role for prestige classes--that they're broad while archetypes are focused, as well as being applicable to different classes/archetypes--so while race-restricted archetypes are welcome I think there could easily also be archetypes catering to that.

I also really like the inherent sort of pacing: because score increases are class features prestige classes have license to be a lot more concentrated as you trade that for a specific sort of specialization. And on top of that, the fact that prerequisites are way more firm and explicit now.

And as I mentioned, here's that Dwarf prestige class.
For the most part solid, but I'm not too sure about spellcasting being a big focus, the slot progression, or those new spells.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5efO4hwzMAHU3otaUdBSlllVVk/view?pli=1
>>
>>43909681
I don't know if codifying a new subsystem is really necessary for that. You could simply have a list of alternate archetype features, so certain levels or features, at your/the DM's option, might be more like Fighting Styles.

Which I know seems like mostly a nominal difference from what you're proposing, but this sort of presentation thing can matter. That sort of thing is why 4e is regarded as it is.
>>
>>43909693
is the dwarf pc official?
>>
>>43909693
Hm. Actually, looking at this again, I realize that it's "Dwarven Spellcasting", not simply "Spellcasting"--which means that it might not interact with normal spell slots or spellcasting at all, and be a separate set of resources/abilities.

Which would change things.
>>
>>43909752
Nah, it's homebrew. Probably the best presented homebrew I've seen.
>>
>>43909693
>Spell that gives proficiency in a given armor type for 10 minutes
Good thing you'll be proficient for just long enough to don it
>>
>>43909197
>>43909319
>prerequistes
Simply stupid
>>
>>43908451
Play any combination of totems

>Polearm master + mobile feat eagle barb that runs around recklessly attacking, never getting into range of harm

>Old Wolfbarb with sentinel and high wisdom that always fights shoulder to shoulder with his comrades

>Tigerbarb that jumps over everything they can whenever possible
>>
how do you handle the change in constitution for monsters?
players get their health increased/decreased by the change in their modifier multiplied by their level, but how do monsters' health pool change?
>>
>>43910192
It's per hit die they have I'm pretty sure.
You could probably check the DM's guide on adjusting monsters for a better answer though.
>>
>>43910011
View it from an outside-in approach, rather than an in-outside view.

You have to meet the "prerequisite" of being a fighter, paladin, or ranger to get the Fighting Style class feature, but that doesn't feel restrictive because it doesn't use the word "prerequisite". It's just a feature available to some classes, in the same way the Battlerager and Bladesinger are an archetype available to some races.
>>
>>43910390
Yeah, then lets add feats that need other feats as prerequistes, that would be so tubular.
>>
>>43910390
>feat chains
Just no
>>
>>43910551
Why not? 7-8 feats to be slighly ok at something minor as fuck is awesome.
>>
>>43910551
As long as they're a linear progression, I'm fine with it.

Otherwise it gets confusing. Like message boards that use nested posts. I have no idea why anyone thought that was fine.
>>
>>43903223
Single target burst or overtime
>>
>>43910712
The fighter is a cuisinart, the paladin is a walking nuke, overtime isn't that much of a thing.
>>
Any ideas for a boss encounter for a 8th level party that's investigating a spooky cemetery?
>>
>>43910882
Two wraiths and four shadows, wraiths are a king and queen/husband and wife/twins/etc. that talk and are creepy as fuck.
>>
Hey what ever happened to the guy who was playing a half-tarrasque-half-dwarf monk/druid?
>>
>>43904235
Constitution and Wisdom are literally perfect for plant race

I'd say switch wisdom with strength or someshit for tankplant
>>
>>43910882

Skeletal Warrior because spooky scary skeletons

Or maybe a mummy if they are buff.
>>
Do you think Virt is actually Spoony?
>>
File: marine.jpg (52 KB, 358x330) Image search: [Google]
marine.jpg
52 KB, 358x330
>there are people in this thread right now
>that don't roll six characters 3d6-straight
>then select what character you want to play
>the rest are your alts characters tied into the first character's background
>if you want more playable characters, you have to win NPCs' loyalty to convert them to PCs

It's like you expect not to die.
>>
>>43911257
3d6 straight down, you can swap two ability scores. It's more fair than in previous editions since there are only racial bonuses, no penalties.

Hopeless characters (e.g. overwhelmingly negative modifiers) can reroll from scratch.

Create two characters this way, play the first one. If he dies, you play the second one. Work her into the story as usual, no sense in "retainers" who also happen to be 3rd-level wizards but didn't help with the dungeon crawl and now suddenly they want to.
>>
>>43911257
Thanks Akainu.
>>
>>43910882

Make a grand staircase a souped up, powerful mimic. Arms sprout to grapple / restrain / punch the fuck outta them. The steps shift upwards (basically an escalator) towards a giant, horrifying maw filled with rows upon rows of teeth at the top of the staircase.

They have to do enough damage to the mimic before they reach the top where they'll be torn apart / eaten.

If fuckers try to fly, the sprouted arms go full Strawhat Luffy and stretch to yank them out of the air (maybe a Dex save to dodge).
>>
>>43911453

Wait, you said cemetary. I though I read spooky mansion for some reason. Whoops.
>>
Creating a Mobster enforcer character, short fused/unhinged hitguy

So far I'm taking a 2 levels of barbarian, the rest rogue, but I'm not sure which subclass to pick.

Do I go Mastermind, assassin or swashbuckler?
>>
>>43911257
>3d6-straight
What's this overpowered animoo bullshit? real men roll 1d4-3
>>
>>43901038
Easy
>all init = 10+ dex mod + action modifier
done.
>>
>>43897763
Not sure how to make them distinct, but i would like to see Psions make a return. With options to be classic, Wilder, or ___. Soulknives as a new monk variant?
>>
>>43911769
Psion will be its own class called the Mystic. The playtest was released via UA earlier this year.
>>
File: RockyHighlands.jpg (2 MB, 3452x2402) Image search: [Google]
RockyHighlands.jpg
2 MB, 3452x2402
>>43897599
Any one have a link to a website selling good grid maps to use?

some thing like pic related with squares, preferably bundles so I don't have to buy a bunch of them for a dollar each
>>
>>43911777
Will probably. No guarantees.
>>
>>43911630
Trying too hard.

Master race:

>Start with 10 in each ability.
>Straight down the line, for each ability score:
>Flip a coin. Heads = positive, tails = negative.
>Roll 1d6.
>On a 6, roll 2d6, ignoring another 6.
>Add this to your ability score of 10 (for heads) or subtract it (for tails).

Advantages of this system:

>Average character will have a mix of good and bad stats.
>Average character will have one thing they're really good or really bad at, which makes for an interesting character.
>Average character will have a level balance of stats instead of being skewed one way.
>Minimizes dice rolling (4d6 for each stat is ridiculous).
>Cheat dice or trick rolling won't help much, since the outcome could be positive or negative.
>>
>>43911908

>will have one thing they're really good or really bad at

Well buster, you're forgetting that a coin flip is a 50/50 chance. So statistically someone will have three utterly fucking atrocious stats and three excellent ones, at best.
>>
>>43911928
Hence
>>Average character will have a mix of good and bad stats.
and
>>Average character will have a level balance of stats instead of being skewed one way.

>>Average character will have one thing they're really good or really bad at, which makes for an interesting character.

is based on the fact that you have six stats, and rolling a 6 on 1d6 means you get to roll 2d6. That could be a 17 in Strength, or a 3 in Intelligence. It creates some fun role-playing and character possibilities.
>>
>>43911257
I personally always roll 3d6 down the line, but I allow a more forgiving method for my players. 5d4, swap one.
>>
Set my players up against a Vampire and some minions last session. The minions were no issue, but when it came to actually destroying the true vampire?

"The vampire scatters into it's misty form and beats a hasty retreat back to his sarcophagus. He materializes in an unconscious state, what do?"
>Stake to the heart, problem solved
>I make a check to be sure he's destroyed, shouldn't he be turned to dust or something?
"The stake doesn't destroy him, but he's pinned and completely unable to free himself. You could seal him in."
>No, can't risk him coming back later. Gotta figure out how to destroy him forever
>I cut off his head. That's how it works sometimes
>Copper over the eyes?
>I start getting stuff together to burn him
>Maybe it's sunlight?
>We got here at sunset, we're not really going to have to sit here for another 8+ hours, right?

There was a source of running water outside but I mean, c'mon. To drag the vamp out of the dungeon and across some water (after staking, beheading, and burning the remainder mind you) is a bit much to ask. I had read the statblock and thought it was interesting until I had to put it into practice. Not to mention, would the vamp not technically be stuck in a "out of his coffin, at 0 HP, reverts to misty form, flies back to coffin" loop until he regained 1 HP?

I eventually had the cleric perform a small ritual with a religion check, but it felt pretty cheap to tack on at the end. Everyone failed to make a relevant check to determine how to destroy a vampire without sunlight. Was there a better way to handle things once I realized my group was not going to figure out the stated "proper" method?
>>
>>43911579
So, a sneaky rage tank? Thief is actually pretty good for that.

Fast Hands is really good at shutting down targets with wondrous items, magic component pouches and ammo. Depends on your DM though, might be crap if your DM demands a perception check for each target.

Climbing and jumping everywhere is good, being in the right spot at the right time is kind of a big deal for tanks.

Sky is the limit for Use Magic Device, but most importantly it allows you to use one of the best tank armors in the game. Robe of the Archmagi gives you advantage on ALL saving throws against all spells and magical effects.

Thief Reflexes is a god-tier path capstone, two turns in the first round is hard to beat.
>>
I just let my players write down whatever they want in the attribute score boxes. It makes char-gen a lot faster and they don't have to worry about their character concepts like "A smart fighter" being ruined by being suboptimal because of physical scores being too low.
>>
>>43910770
>cuisinart
a home appliance brand?
>>
File: timf.png (191 KB, 600x638) Image search: [Google]
timf.png
191 KB, 600x638
>>43911257
I actually really want to play AD&D in a completely stereotypical dungeon-crawl fashion, rolling for Surprise and shit.
And having life expectancy counted in hours.
>>
>>43912073
That's far too liberal. You just know some power gamer will abuse it.

Me? I write down what the real-life players stats would be. Then I hand those to them, but let them swap with any other player.

Only downside is that I usually end up with a party of wizards.
>>
>>43911961
>Str 21, Dex 7, Con 7, Int 7, Wis 7, Cha 7 is average
>>
>>43912062
Saving the rages for when something really gets under his skin.

Party is currently level 6 and not going to be getting to level 13-17, I'm currently leaning towards mastermind because I could attempt to come across as a businessman
>>
>>43912346
You flip a coin for each ability score. Ending up with those stats is incredibly unlikely.
>>
>>43912259
This would be really interesting with my group.
>Astrophysicist working for NASA who is a tiny stick of a human
High INT, low STR
>Bodybuilder that owns a roofing company
>High STR/CON, Low CHA/WIS
>Overweight mortician that also runs the veiwings, must work with the families in their period of mourning
High CHA/DEX, low STR/CON
>Army vet working in intelligence collection
High CHA/CON, Low DEX/WIS

Now I want to run a campaign with this setup.
>>
>>43912045
The more time you spend behind the screen the better you get at anticipating these moments and plan accordingly, minimizing the chance of something like this happening again.
How, and when, would you have acted differently, had you known then what you know now?
>>
File: 3076106361_1e0320d70c.jpg (169 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
3076106361_1e0320d70c.jpg
169 KB, 500x334
Planning a homebrew. What sort of things would you like to see in a monk discipline focused Sabers, Spears, Glaives, etc. An armed kung fu style.
>>
>>43912647
I would have still had it go to mist form and retreat, still alive at 0 HP. That's fairly believable for a vampire, the whole disappear and go to recover deal.

I'd have changed so any of the methods they described would have worked. Staking the vamp, burning the remains, or beheading should have been perfectly acceptable.

When they listed suggestions and I said none of them worked in the way they wanted them to, I realized immediately that it was a terrible idea to have them go find a source of running water, or wait until sun up with a dangerous vampire slowly regaining health.
>>
What's the best way to play a berserker?
How can I reliably overcome the exhaustion that comes with using its class features?
>>
>>43913128
The answer to both your questions are "Cocaine".
>>
File: 012.jpg (43 KB, 590x324) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
43 KB, 590x324
>>43912759
Solid answer.
>>
>>43913162
I should have known. I might actually be able to get the dm to include some kind of upper drug in the game that I can get my barbarian addicted to.
He's a shadowrunfag, so he loves that shit.
>>
Is there a list of spells that are sorted by school of magic or by spell level? If so, can someone provide me a link?

I don't think there's one in the Mega link, but maybe I was blind and missed it?
>>
>>43913128
>druids can turn into bears twice every short rest at minimum
>barbarian has to long rest to recover rages, berserkers may have to rest for fucking days

explain this fucking bullshit
>>
>>43912212
Something that slices and dices wizards and uses the fourth attack to make very pleasing julienne fries out of the spellbook.
>>
>>43913128

By playing a Totem Warrior instead, basically. Greater Restoration can remove 1 level of exhaustion per cast, but that's a 5th level spell. Meaning your party's bard or cleric has to be 9th level before you can use your 3rd level ability effectively (and they probably won't be happy they have to use their best spell to keep you going).

A Potion of Vitality removes all levels of exhaustion, but those are Very Rare.
>>
>>43913255
Martial characters have always gotten the short end of the stick.
>>
File: BRS lays it out.png (75 KB, 372x383) Image search: [Google]
BRS lays it out.png
75 KB, 372x383
>>43912259
If you're choosing a category of game that runs on cooperation, imagination, and where the guy controling the entire world wants you to succeed as your outlet for highly competitive effort, you're a fucking retard.

It's like training all year to dominate at the parents vs kid softball game. If you want to powergame and focus on WINNING there are bajillions of better outlets for it, so doing it in D&D or whatever is a sign of some kind of retardation.

If you think you're "good" at D&D because you can do second grade math, pick the best skills and disconnect your humanity while designing your combatmonster, encounterwarping character, you're like a person who jumps into a sandbox, aggressively builds the tallest sandcastle and screams SUCK IT NERDS at the toddlers. Yes, congratulations, you won at sandcastle, but you're missing the point and you clearly hang out with other retards so much that you don't notice how silly you are.

On top of that you have that whole mentality of people who think that any kind of effort at immersion or role-playing is for faggots and that role-playing should be like world of warcraft without graphics, and I just feel like they have some kind of condition.

If you want to WIN, just play some videogame online against other people who are trying to win so there's an actual competition, don't inflict it on your happy fun time friends who want to roll dice and experience cool stories.

The fiction is the whole point of pen and paper role-playing, because that's it's strength, you can do ANYTHING. But it's a terrible outlet for competitive urges and the people who use it for that are clearly scared of actual competition and just use it to feel better at something irrelevant than their friends are. Like, congrats, you're slightly more effective at killing orcs fast than everyone else, we're so psyched to have you.
>>
>>43913652

Hi, >>43912073 here. I was just trolling; I use 27-point buy. Please calm down.
>>
So my first session I tried to sort of take advantage of the weaknesses of the PCs, I wanted to do it more but got the character sheets so late etc. For example having charming creatures against a low wis party, enemies with high ac and weak attacks against barbarian (end rage) and so on. Is this actually a good thing to do?

Our forever-ish dm has difficulty making encounters hard and typically just gives them much higher damage, ac, hp, whatever and then we just have a straight up fight which, depending on the rolls, kills the character being attacked or still doesn't do much and there's not too much of a feeling of accomplishment since it's such a simple fight and out of our control. Which I hate, but I'm not sure if normal fights should be designed around weaknesses on top of the climax fights.
>>
>>43913652
I was joking. But it would be an interesting social experiment, look at >>43912497
>>
>>43912689
How much do you intend to homebrew? Just an extra monastic tradition or will you be taking it ground up while keeping the flavor and some of the mechanics? The animal styles are the more popular form/have the most exposure (Except perhaps Drunken) so I'd just stick with them.

You could lump the animal styles into a monastic tradition with the same setup as Four Elements, each time you gain the feature you choose from a list, but I would have each style an individual tradition.

For example "Upon taking Tiger Style at 3rd level, your attacks reflect the ferocity of the stance. Whenever you hit with the extra ttacks granted by flurry of blows you deal additional damage equal to your proficiency bonus"

"Starting at 6th level, your mastery of the monkey form allows you to maneuver in even the most difficult of circumstances. You treat difficult terrain as normal terrain, and anytime you are caught unaware you may take a single move action at the end of the surprise round."

"At 17th level you have become a drunken master, able to deftly attack and move in combat even as you stumble about. Any time a creature uses it's reaction to make a hostile interaction with you (so as to include actions besides attacks of opportunity, at the DM's discretion) you may attack that creature. Using this feature more than once causes one level of exhaustion (maximum of +1 level per turn)"
>>
File: Assuming Direct Control.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Assuming Direct Control.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>43913738
Oh, in that case, yes, true, it could be fun.

I just had that copy-pasta on the shelf and felt like warming it up. It's something a lot of people forget, so if I see a good place, I like to make use.
>>
>>43913742
Was planning on making just a new tradition, though I don't shy away from adding complexity if it seems to give more customability into it. Was already considering on doing something similiar as battlemaster, but with kung fu concepts.
>>
>>43913255
>wildshapes last for hours
>rage lasts for 1 minute if lucky
>>
>>43913802
How long are dungeons and quests supposed to last in game? Ignore the traveling to the dungeon, if its less than an hour in game, no downside to druid whatsoever.
>>
>>43913908
See page 242 of the DMG. A 1 square = 10 feet dungeon? 30 squares per minute, at a normal place.

It's fun working this out afterwards and realizing the adventurers only spent 12 minutes in the dungeon. Obviously it's the kind of thing you should never tell your players.
>>
>>43913732
Use some of these techniques, but sparingly.

The barbarian will stop having fun if his main class feature, the reason he chose barbarian and not fighter, only lasts one turn in most encounters.

Charming one or two characters in a fight can create tension. They have to watch and cheer on their friends from the sideline, as the party desperately tries to hold off the enemy until they can shake it off. If someone can reliably expect to sit out every other encounter, just because their class has no wis save and they dumped the stat, they are going to be annoyed with you far worse than your current DM.

I recommend tweaking monsters from the MM to better fit your encounters, and give the players satisfying set piece battles, especially for "boss fights."

Google The Angry DM's discussion on boss battles. I haven't looked into his other posts, but the idea of the multi phase fight to break up the dynamics is what you should be taking to heart.

Also, come up with interesting mechanics for your fight. One of my players' favorite fights was battling a boss that had minions performing a spell that was slowly infusing him with dragon essence. At first they started to tear through him, but then he became this half dragon creature and they shifted their focus to the ritualists. They managed to kill the minions and patted themselves on the back, only for him to desperately consume the magic foci (He correctly assumed they weren't going to try talking him into giving up and the ritual was botched halfway through anyway, nothing left to lose).

Things like this that makes your player's go "Oh shit I wasn't expecting that!" Shit I combined a werebear and a vampire's stats to my liking, threw it at the party and infected one with vampirism and the other with lycanthropy (ursanthropy?)
>>
>>43914055
Yeah I read his articles on it, there was no big climax boss potential in last session but I may use it next time. Thanks for the advice, really helps.
>>
>>43914016
So if the party was isnta-ported to a new dungeon with each complete dungeon, the Druid could be in wildshape for 5 dungeons at level 1, while the Barb gets 1/12th of a single dungeon at level 1. Though I hate barbarians, that seems pretty weak.
>>
>>43914016
In 3.5 we once rested in the dungeon with an amicable denizen, left the room, and ran into a tough fight at the end of the hallway.

It took 36 seconds (1 round walking down hall, 4 in combat) before we had to bust the guys door back down, bloody and bruised, to take another rest.
>>
Me and my players looking for a system where themes of exploration are very prevalent, would 5E work for this or would I be fighting the system too much?
>>
>>43913226
http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells
>>
>>43914146
In Basic, a round was ten minutes, and that was the time it took to explore and map a typical room.

Ten minutes seems like a lot, but it feels like the more they developed D&D over various editions and abandoned certain ideas while keeping others (because they're "part of" Dungeons & Dragons) the more they lost touch with what worked in the earlier editions.
>>
>>43914293
Wasn't a Round 1 minute, and a Turn was 10 rounds (10 minutes)?
In that case, a Turn makes a lot of sense for dungeon crawling.
Huh. Neat.
>>
>>43914293
A round was one minute in AD&D but in combat was explicitly stated to not be an attack.

Except it made no sense when ranged weapons were accounted for. I'm kinda okay with the switch.
>>
>>43914314
I might have had it backwards.

>>43914344
I like the idea of "zooming in" to combat, but it's become more and more specific. To the point where I see groups trying to handle running away in initiative order using 6-second intervals, or even having conversations in initiative order (I hate this so much).

At the very least, EXPLORING a dungeon should take a lot longer and not strictly follow the same rules that combat movement and actions do. In fact, doing it in real time makes more sense, since the players and their characters are having conversations. "We head down the east corridor," and heading down the east corridor might only take a few seconds, but the debate about which corridor to head down actually took minutes.
>>
>>43913551
>before you can use your 3rd level ability effectively
You don't have to frenzy with every rage to be using frenzy effectively.

Using Wolf totem to give a rogue advantage on TWF is worth about 3.25 damage per round at level 3. Using Frenzy for an extra attack is worth 11.2125 extra damage per round. So if it's used for 1/3 of the time, it's getting used effectively.

Note: Wolf totem is very dependent on party makeup and combat situation and often involves exposing additional allies in melee who wouldn't normally be there.

Berserker's problem isn't that it's shit compared to totem warrior, it's that feats overlap with all of its combat abilities, so you might as well pick something unique.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.