[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your worst experience with a terrible GM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Terrible GM.png (524 KB, 1259x4429) Image search: [Google]
Terrible GM.png
524 KB, 1259x4429
What is your worst experience with a terrible GM?
>>
>>43888048
Y'know, I read OP, and now I don't even feel like posting, because it won't even compare at all.
>>
>>43888084
Come on anon, it doesn't have to be an Ultra Giga Asshole levels of awful.
>>
>>43888170
Standard shit.
DM was railroady as fuck, insisted on his custom setting that was basically an excuse to do whatever he wanted, threw in an awful dmpc that was some lvl 60 demigod or some shit.
The game came to a halt when the DM broke trust, we roundly called him out on it, and he quit.
>>
>>43888048
We had a GM once who had a, let's call it, videogame approach to railroading.

Every NPC that wasn't directly involved with THE QUEST was incapable of communication.

Example:
Innkeeper tells us about the town's goblin problem and mentions that a city guard X knows more about it.

We try to get some more info from the inkeep
>"I dunno"
We try to talk to a random villager
>"Yyyyyhhhh" [untranscribable retard noises]
We try to ask guard Y
>[untranscribable retard noises]
>>
>>43888048
I had a GM in college who was this tiny anorexic austrian dude (I live in Australia). He started about a dozen or so campaigns which inevitably crashed before he was deported back to his homeland. He was studying a creative writing degree, and I remember seeing his room once - it stank of semen and there were hentai posters on the walls.
Due to a shitty childhood, he had a weird Oedipus thing for his dead mum and a savage hatred of men ('except you, you're not so bad') stemming from his abusive neonazi father. He had some pretty sad gender issues, in that his hatred of men and idealisation of women meant that to be okay with himself, he had to appreciate himself as a woman despite identifying as a man.
During one memorable campaign, I was playing a human-centricist (read:recovering racist) in a post-apoc setting. Other members included a pureblood human hunter/trueking (think aragorn with a sniper rifle), an aquatic mutant doctor looking for his family, and a harpy woman with telekinesis.
The first session was me and the doctor running away from my homeland after I was unable to kill him as a rite of passage into not-nazi society.
We met up with several others as we travelled south, and skirted a fallen techno-city which was under the control of the nanite zombies.
We fought a ghoul, taking on pretty bad wounds and giving me a kind of technovirus/uncontrollable pyrokinesis thing.
Key moments include being literally unable to crush not-kobold eggs (your leg doesn't want to raise itself) and fighting a blue dragon.
>>
He scheduled an early morning game and while driving there I got t-boned by a 18-wheeler and died instantly.
>>
>>43888344
The campaign ended when not-aragorn's past was revealed and he convinced us to help him retake his homeland from his usurper uncle (rather than wander aimlessly through the wilderness fighting monsters).
The GM said he couldn't accept us derailing his plot anymore and came back next week with a new setting.
>>
File: Why.jpg (25 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
25 KB, 288x499
>>43888359
>>
>>43888344
>Key moments include being literally unable to crush not-kobold eggs (your leg doesn't want to raise itself)
Yeah, I can see why he was uncomfortable with you mass aborting babies (even if they were lizards).
>>
>>43888359
Why? Why remind me of that post.
>>
>>43888525
It was explained that we had ingame reason to think they were territorial animals. This was reinforced by both major NPCs and the tenets of various deities (which we had to worship).
If there was a major quest of discovery with lofty moral questions, I could roll with that. If a nearby animal den has been killing the village's chickens, then the path is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>43888232
Maybe your DM is an asspie and can only make conversation when its rehearsed hours ahead of time
>>
>>43888721
>Be me
>Finally find some cool friends who make me feel normal
>Run some games for them, spend hours creating and running dialogue so they don't notice my condition
>They love it
>After they leave I tell my mum about it and show her my happy dance
>My life is finally improving, thanks to the support of my TRPG friends

:)
>>
There was the time I first started RPing in the Song of Ice and Fire system. Playing an apprentice Maester who was also a Warg. Our GM, when she actually turned up to sessions, overhauled rule systems that she deemed too complex or took too long, turning most encounters into a single roll for each player for what they wanted to do, followed by "It works."

It didn't help that another player accidentally made a character that was absolutely busted due to how the rules were overhauled. He eventually got a Dragonbone Longbow which had a property which meant that any shot he landed on a target was a lethal wound. The way this played out was the party rushing into combat, to have an arrow lodge itself in the targets leg, killing them instantly. On another occasion we entered a local festival which had several tournaments going on.

This lowborn archer enters the archery tournament and bets 5 gold on himself. He proceeds to win the tournament after a few rolls, with no one getting anywhere near his. In total he won 200 gold, more money than a peasant sees in their lifetime possible, and the dragonbone longbow.

The game fell apart shortly after that due to the GM not turning up and not telling anyone.
>>
>>43888048
For my first or second game ever I created a trickster wizard with illusions and mindcontrol. In retrospect, I probably had come off as a That Guy to the DM, but I didn't get to do anything ThatGuyish (or much anything at all) since right at the start of the game my character was robbed, enslaved, freed by another PC and put into a crushing debt to him, imprisoned for completing a quest, raped by some supernatural bitch (and I was told by the DM that my character feels nothing but respect for her afterwards), broken out of prison and put into more crushing debt by another PC, had all his charm and illusion spells fail without explanation, then, as the last straw, when he tried to earn some money by guarding the walls of a city that was nightly besieged by horrible monstrocities, the wall guards demanded he pay them for hiring him.
That was the only roleplaying group I knew in my city. Thankfully, that campaign died soon after.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.