[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever had to do something in game that you didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11
File: papyrus.png (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
papyrus.png
5 KB, 299x168
Have you ever had to do something in game that you didn't want to do out of character?

I have a pretty solid group. Been playing for years now. Like the gang quite a bit. In our current campaign, we are similarly bros, and my character genuinely believes in their character.

Then I found out from an NPC that when I was sleeping one night, they went out and committed genocide for loot. Legitimately cut the throats of every man, woman, and child in their sleep. For whatever gold they had on them. And never told a soul. I even verified the NPC's claim magically.

In character, I can't overlook this. Not morally. In fact its my public responsibility to administer the law. Obviously death is the only option. They're too powerful and too dangerous for exile- or even direct confrontation. But I'm absolutely sick about it... I believed in you guys... and I've known you long enough OOC to know you aren't That Guys... so I don't understand why... I thought I knew you.

Its just surprising because it actually upset me IRL. Like I'm genuinely sick to my stomach at the thought of killing my IC friends. One of them even spent hundreds on a present for an NPC... I don't understand.

Anybody had experiences like this?
>>
File: 1447945686401.png (87 KB, 444x431) Image search: [Google]
1447945686401.png
87 KB, 444x431
I think you've been taken for a ruse, friend.
That seems strangely sudden, you should verify this. Hard. Like investigate the shit out of it. Your final resort should be to kidnap each of them, and wearing a mask and magic voice changer thing, interrogate each one. See where the stories don't add up and go from there. Last but not least, check yourself. Maybe someone's mind controlling you so you'll flip out on your party?

Oh and if you find out that they really did commit genocide, make sure they geeettttttt dunked on!!!
>>
>>43886964
GM already verified that they bluffed (and failed) me. NPC cleared sense motive. Magical verification backed it up too. I don't have the resources to even mount an effective direct confrontation, much less independently kidnap them with successful restraints and without arousing the suspicion of the other. There's only so much I can do at this level to investigate this. If I can get one helpless, I plan to interrogate, but... the thought of running my sword through their heart just breaks mine.
>>
File: 1435867256816.jpg (71 KB, 457x431) Image search: [Google]
1435867256816.jpg
71 KB, 457x431
>>43886933
>>43886997
If they've done evil, smite them. Second chances are for wusses
>>
>>43886933
All the time. That's what roleplaying is about. You play the character, and if it gets difficult for you to do that, you play the character even harder. If it makes you sad? That's fine! If every story was happy, then happy would just become nothing. A little bit of heartache is the best polish to make the good times shine all the brighter. That's just how storytelling works, man.

Never lose track of the line between the story and reality, though. That's how you end up in therapy.
>>
>>43886933
Take that feeling of being torn into character. If you can't handle killing them, maybe your character can't handle it either. Murder is not an easy thing. By all means set it up where you run them through, but hesitate, give them a chance to react. Play it from there. If you have to, die a tragic death.
>>
File: treason.gif (617 KB, 664x550) Image search: [Google]
treason.gif
617 KB, 664x550
>>43886933
You should try spinning.
>>
>>43887109
I can't die... people are counting on me. I have... responsibilities. It just isn't an option.

>>43887083
I guess that's what's bothering me. Getting worked up about a story. I know its just in game. But it just... caught me offguard.
>>
>>43886933
>I found out from an NPC
>GM already verified that they bluffed (and failed) me
>I know they aren't that guys

This might just be the GM fucking with you. I say wait until you have real confirmation that isn't GM-provided. Don't do anything until you notice them acting like murderhobos.
>>
>>43886997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNsxBL-OeI

"Sans once told me that the moment he stopped caring would be the moment everything started to fall apart. At first, I thought he was talking about our relationship, and so I always tried to give him a reason to care about me. But now, I understand what he meant, and it's too late to tell him I'm sorry for not understanding sooner. It's a funny thing, isn't it? The more you hate someone, the easier it is to make them stop living. But no matter how much you love someone, you can't bring them back from being dead. Sans is gone because he stopped caring, but I refuse to do the same. I care about so many things. I care about myself. I care about this world. I care about everyone you've taken from me. But the one thing - the ONLY thing - I no longer care about is you. I'm not going to give you a 'bad time.' Someone like you, who has taken so much, does not deserve to be given *anything.* The only thing someone like you deserves is an equal. Someone who is willing to protect, with every ounce of the same determination you use to destroy. So, human. You are not going to have a bad time. Instead, I'm going to have lots. Of. FUN."
>>
>>43886933
Ask them straight to their faces if they did it. Invoke anything of importance or measure of your friendship, like calling in a life debt they owe you or asking them to swear on the sword you forged together. Look them straight in the eye, and make sure they keep eye contact. Call them out if they lie, with absolute certainty in your voice. Then give them a choice: redemption or punishment. Attack them. If they want redemption, they will fall by your sword, and let you atone for their sins. If they want punishment, let them slay a dear friend. And leave them with words of pure disappointment.

Either way, makes for a great story.
>>
>>43887117
Is this a reference to something? Because it feels familiar.
>>
File: Smug Sheev.png (8 KB, 359x291) Image search: [Google]
Smug Sheev.png
8 KB, 359x291
>>43887210
It's a good trick.
>>
>>43887159
It's shit and out of character.

Fucking edgy youtube comments.
>>
>>43887289
K. Thanks for the input bro. Isn't even mine.

https://soundcloud.com/anime_sonicmega/genocide-papyrus
>>
>>43887289
It's an AU.
>>
>>43886933
Murder your friends. Murder them so hard. Relish that the GM has given you an ample opportunity to murder them. Rub your murder boner out on all of their faces. Listen to music while you plot how to elaborately murder them. Should you pay a wizard to mind control their loved one and have said love one fatally stab them? Endless possibilities!
>>
>>43887372
It's still shit.
>>
>>43887395
Oh anon. Don't be upsetti.

Have some spaghetti.
>>
>>43887159
I like the speech itself, but I think it's too out of character for Papyrus. I can't hear it in his voice.
>>
>>43887372
>AU fanfiction
Worse than horsefuckers.
>>
>>43886933
If it was always easy to do the right thing, everyone would be good.

Do the right thing. This cannot be allowed to continue.
>>
File: Bronies, this is your mindset.png (26 KB, 307x156) Image search: [Google]
Bronies, this is your mindset.png
26 KB, 307x156
>>43887561
What about AU undertale horsefuckers?
>>
>>43887571
There is a special place in Hell reserved for that.
>>
>>43887561
I'm going to write fanfiction about your right now.

"Anon made a post that was constructive and improved the thread. Everybody was glad he had done so. Sailor moon was there."

It's an AU. Please rate it's my first try.
>>
File: Patient zero.png (61 KB, 573x426) Image search: [Google]
Patient zero.png
61 KB, 573x426
>>43887577
Just remember
no matter how special the hell
we're all gonna burn for letting it start.
>>
>>43887571
What? Barneyfag going after Undertale now?
>>
>>43887561
That's neither true nor remotely fair. The horsefuckers have a shitty AU fanfiction that was not only made canonical, but resulted in 2 theatrically released feature films.
>>
>>43887159
>that giant speech about how much you don't care about someone
>>
>>43887604
In that shitty speech he does care. He just hates the person enough that he's going to enjoy killing them. It's a very strong statement of care, just hate.
>>
>>43887612
Except he EXPLICITLY SAYS he doesn't care about the person he's talking to.
>>
>>43887618
Have you ever done that one thing where you say one thing but mean another? It's like that.
>>
>>43887618
The care is in a different form of context.

he 'cares' about his friends in a good way. he does not share that same sense of 'care' for frisk. but hate is a form of caring.
>>
>>43887626
>frisk

At that point in a genocide run, doesn't chara essentially have complete control?
>>
>>43886933
You just feel guilt because you killed Goatmom...
You sick bastard.
>>
>>43887631
Yeah but its almost 7 am and I don't fucking care.
>>
File: Oglaf_Overthinking.jpg (153 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
Oglaf_Overthinking.jpg
153 KB, 760x596
>>43887604
>Undertale monsters are good at hiding their true feelings
>>
>>43887651
They can hide all they like. Anyone who stands against me must die.
>>
>>43887665
Go fall off a mountain, chara. Oh, wait...
>>
>>43887696
>waah my friends
They were not obedient. There is no place for them in my world.
>>
>>43887745
There's also no place for you in the good ending.

Stay mad, butthurt child.
>>
>>43887762
>the good ending.
>living nonhumans
>good ending
>>
>>43887769
>waah muh nonhumans
>>/pol/
>>
>>43887772
If skeletons were meant to walk, humans would not have flesh.
>>
File: f06.png (813 KB, 1280x963) Image search: [Google]
f06.png
813 KB, 1280x963
>>43887776
>>
>>43887778
Keep rattling skellyman.
>>
>>43887776
>Implying things not being "meant" to happen is a valid argument
If you were supposed to be here, shitposting on this website, you would've been born knowing the English language, the internet would be a naturally occurring phenomenon and your computer would've grown from a tree. Something not being "meant" to be done never stopped us before.
>>
>>43887790
>your computer would've grown from a tree.
Is yours not?
>>
Reminder that this games entire backstory is basically this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYbgjqWWm4
>>
Anand decent rp thread died due to shitposting.

op investigate a bit more, find evidence other than confession of npc - mind control, he might believe it was true(while it wasn't) and a lot of other stuff . Maybe dead bodies, loot itself, research it and be a detective.
>>
>>43887778
All that pasta needs is an asterisk, some "NYEH HEH HEH", and references to puzzles and japes.

>I HAVE OVER THREE HUNDRED CONFIRMED PUZZLES AND JAPES
>MY PUZZLES WILL CONFOUND YOU WITH... UH... CONFUSION, THE LIKES OF WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE IN THE UNDERGROUND
>YOU'RE JAPED, HUMAN. NYEH.
>>
>>43887831
>NYEH.
MYAAH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N132JqqWhHo
>>
>>43887289
This is the only "genocide Papyrus" image or video I've ever not disliked. It's still kind of edgy but I think it still grasps his character. Pretty much everything else is right-out though.
>>
>>43890944
Fuck, that's not the whole image, I saved the wrong thing.
>>
File: 1447715689360.png (1 MB, 540x4045) Image search: [Google]
1447715689360.png
1 MB, 540x4045
>>43890944
>>43890961
This is what I meant to post, like I said kind of edgy but I think it fits.
>>
>>43891048
I don't see it. If anything, that seems out of character for him. Dude remains calm, to the point that he makes a pun, if you get all the way through his fight showing him mercy, only to betray him in the end. I have a really hard time believing he would break down sobbing.
>>
>>43891124
We've never seen him without Sans though, remember Sans breaks his composure in the judging scene if you kill Papyrus. I think that's why it's alright for me.
>>
Seriously though, is this an online game? Because if it's an in-person game, then don't kill your friends. If it's online, do do it.

Trust me.
>>
>>43886933
>knows all his friends don't usually act like that
>suddently ALL of them conspired while he was sleeping and acted in a totally unexpected way
>only proof is from an NPC who may or may not be lying, since you only checked once and probably didn't use much to check how true it is

Trust me, as someone who sometimes DMs, that's far to likely to be a set-up by him to cause a dispute inside the party than to be true. Either way, try to act IC and check, and be sure no matter what, about what they're up to, it's far too weird for something like this to happen to a whole party, unless they had planned this from the beginning.
>>
Kill them all in their in their sleep while you cry and whisper " sshhh, its okay" over and over.
Then commit suppoku.
>>
File: meteor.jpg (97 KB, 457x243) Image search: [Google]
meteor.jpg
97 KB, 457x243
>>43886933
>mfw morality stat is low enough that the GM can't stop me from murdering the problems away
>>
>>43886933
Approach them about it. If it turns out to be true or they are acting fishy about it, then you have the duty you must uphold.
https://youtu.be/twdma6QXisY
>>
Its not genocide unless its against an entire population of a peoples
>>
>>43899717
It was though. An entire village, ethnically cleansed.
>>43894631
Its an online game.
>>43894931
It wasn't ALL of them. Just half of them.

>>43886933
Its resolved now. Basically... I just misjudged them. They thought what they were doing was right. That its ok to kill civilians if you think they'll be a threat later, and not tell the rest of the party because you know they'll disagree

There was no compulsion, but in order to prevent a campaign ending TPK, the GM offered to retcon so that there was compulsion, with the assurance it actually did fit into the storyline and its totally something the BBEG would do, with the intent to kill the party. Because...

>>43895164
This is more or less what went down without the retcon.
>>
>>43886964
I saw that Tales From The Borderlands reference.
>>
>>43886933

If you've made sure of it, one thing you can do if it's to big for you is take this info to a higher power. An order of paladins, bounty hunters or a king does nicely.

All those dead people don't exist in a vaccuum. They have family, friends, children, parents, masters, ect. Who are probably wanting some creamy, delicious JUSTICE.

Be there when their crimes catch up to them, join the force that comes to take them and tilt the balance further. Make that moment amazing!
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.