[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, can we get a thread for first timers or your first time gaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: sweating.jpg (22 KB, 240x312) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
22 KB, 240x312
So, can we get a thread for first timers or your first time gaming experiences? I'm just starting my first pnp RPG. And my god is this shit fucking confusing. I had thought "it's just imagination, can't be that hard", but holy fuck I don't know about other systems, but Pathfinder is rough. I've got feats out the ass with no idea what to pick, skills and ability points, various ways to determine ability points, it's just a mess for me. Thank god I've got a dude helping me through this shit.

And looking through character sheets for other systems, it looks just as complicated to me as this one. Pic related. It's how I was just trying to comprehend this shit. And for pathfinder I was just going by the core rulebook. Much less all the third party races, feats, and all that shit.

And people think Path of Exile is complex? Fucking character creation in this game is more complex than the entire skill tree in that game. I was spoiled by video games and I'm really fucking feeling the burn trying to get through this.
>>
>>43885382
Pathfinder/ D&D is a complicated system for a newbie.
>>
I usually make new players spend the first few sessions under the table sucking everyone's dicks until they get used to how the game works.
>>
>>43885391
This. This this thisthisthis.
D&D/Pathfinder has a lot of exposure so it tends to be nearly everyone's first system, but it's status as "newbie friendly" is total shit. Whether you think the system is solid or broken, it is complicated as fuck. Also, for some reason D&D/PF is fucking inescapable; every system has its diehards but I don't think any other has such a large percentage of its playerbase that refuse to try new systems.
>>
>>43885445
If you need D&D go for 5e to teach people with.
>>
>>43885468
D&D 5e was made for nostalgic fatbeards, and is hard for newbies.
>>
>>43885382
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77nb34DB6Gs
Try to watch this an the eps that follow.
>>
>>43885702

Then go with Basic D&D. That was made simple enough that 10 year olds could play it.
>>
File: 1430198214197.jpg (700 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1430198214197.jpg
700 KB, 1024x768
>>43885702
It's drastically simpler than any post-2e DnD though, and anything before that line gets off on killing players and it's discouraging for newbies. So your choice is discouraging, complicated, or 5e, if you're arbitrarily limiting to dnd/pf, which is pretty bad but that's the discussion being had.
>>
>>43885382
>Pathfinder is rough
Pathfinder is rules-heavy and somewhere between bad and terrible for beginners. See this character sheet? That's an entire character in Barbarians of Lemuria. I mean, obviously you'd want an equipment list, but that's all the stats.
>>
Has a complete newbie who's just picked up 5e, I don't think it's that complicated.
Sure, you've got to consult the books a bit at first, but by the time we've hit level 2, it all basically makes sense. Who would really struggle with this?
>>
My first time, we used FATAL.
It was my last time, I'm only here for the 40k threads.
>>
>>43888253
>Using FATAL for anything else than a joke
wew lad
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.