[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
valkyrie profile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: lFVgpe3.jpg (139 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
lFVgpe3.jpg
139 KB, 600x575
what system would you run it in? iron heroes sounds pretty good, but i dunno if there would be a better system to run a VP-themed game in.
>>
>>43883006
Wait, is this the same franchise the current Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid anime is from? Or is the reference to Valkyries pure coincidence? Kasumi is best girl, just sayin'
>>
>>43884968
One has nothing to with with the other. Valkyrie profile is about being a valkyrie and recluting dead warriors to make them eiherjar to fight in Ragnarök.
>>
For people that missed the boat on playing this, what is the game about?
Checking out the game's wikipedia page doesn't necessarily mean we'll "get" what makes this game feel like Valkyrie Profile and what you would need translated to a tabletop version.
>>
>>43885175
Not OP, but the game is basically about recruting heroes who had tragic deaths and using their souls as army to do the will of the gods.
well, actually you use 3 at a time, not much of an "army". Also you have to keep sending some of this warriors to valhalla for them to preprare for the ragnarok.
It's a pretty nice RPG with it's micro-stories about the tragic heroes and their drama, nice exploration in dugeons and an unusual battle system.

however I have no ideia on how to properly describe the "feeling" of the game and I don't have any suggestion about what system to use. Sorry OP.
>>
>>43885251
Maybe he's after a system that handles over the top JRPG combat where everyone is wizards and also you rack up combos for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBspCjTvb-4
>>
>>43883006
I think the PS1 and the PS2 can handle it.

PS3 as well.
>>
>>43885175
>For people that missed the boat on playing this, what is the game about?

Suikoden with Valkyries
>>
[Obligatory GURPS memeing]
>>
>>43885883
Eh, although Valkyrie Profile is over the top and has a bit of "everyone is a wizard", I would say is less than most JRPGs.

The video that you showed is a fight against the game ultimate enemie in the non-canon post-game dungeon, with a party that is just impossible to have in the actual story of the game, with special characters and stuff, is possibly the strongest party possible (since is fighting agains the ultimate enemie of the game*), in wich case the party consist of two goddesses, the world strongest wizard, and the king of vampires.

In the game most of the characters are normal humans with heroics deaths (and yes, some wizards) that gaines more power becoming spirits in service of the gods.

It still is over the top, but really not so much as it would seem by the video.

*(I guess the strongest enemie in the game was a bunch of hamsters in this same dungeon as an easter egg, I'm not sure)

Anyway, if OP just want over the top JRPG stuff I guess most people would recomend Anima.
>>
>>43886002
IDK senpai even the mêlée dudes get up to some wizard shit desu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfBjR1xYEE#t=2m
>>
>>43886104
Yes, as I said, I agree that it's a bit over the top and "everyone is a wizard", I just wished to say that it's not SO MUCH as in the other video.
>>
File: lenneth.jpg (62 KB, 736x598) Image search: [Google]
lenneth.jpg
62 KB, 736x598
Am I... just a death goddess?

Have you thought about FATE? It's abstract enough to handle a demigoddess and several einherjar fighting Loki or a dragon or somesuch and the characters' motivations are a factor.
>>
>>43885974
Except it plays nothing like Suikoden.
>>
File: eirin diagnosis, autism_1.jpg (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
eirin diagnosis, autism_1.jpg
102 KB, 600x600
>>43886183

>Wow that one sentence summary sure was inaccurate. Why, it doesn't even have the Stars of Destiny!
>>
In terms of what Valkyrie Profile is aesthetically, the videogame was primarily a combat-oriented dungeon crawler with a somewhat unconventional way of acquiring characters, which had fuzzy personality traits that you could refine, as well as combat skills that governed special skills. Weapons determined how many attacks you had, and all characters would be able to limit break once a combo meter was charged up (allowing you to chain multiple characters basic attacks and combat skills together in a timed combo, culminating in a Big Move that also filled up the combo bar for other people to use Big Moves).

>>43886002 I have participated as a player in Anima games before and I found the system to be a bit too clunky for what I'm looking for - see below:

In particular, the concepts I'm interested in would be fast-paced crunchy combat (set up your combos and then combine them with other party members) - exploring each party member's final moments before they're chosen to become a member of the einherjar by a valkyrie may also be something I am interested in, but there may not be a system out there that places that specific style of narrative into mechanics while also having a robust combat system.

>>43886176 suggested FATE as a good starting point, and I'm inclined to agree for the traits portion (which, really, was never truly relevant in the video game, but I'd like to see more of it in a tabletop version). People have explained to me how FATE uses traits and that could be potentially interesting, but the mechanics are still a bit dry (due to their simplicity).

>>43885988 suggested GURPS as a joke but it can play pretty fast and a character points-oriented system would work well for incremental advances (award character points per encounter on the spot, EXP "Crystals" that can be discovered which also yield more advancement points, a smorgasboard of powerups in the Dungeon Fantasy series and a robust non-tactical map reliant combat system in the core game).
>>
>>43885883

I think I would be more after a system that has fast but meaningful combat where teamwork takes priority but leaves room for individual heroism, but also isn't reliant on a tactical grid. The narrative aspect of the game is somewhat tricky since you take the role of a valkyrie who flies around the world collecting the souls of interesting heroes, but I imagine in a tabletop setting the role of the "Valkyrie" is relegated to an NPC (unless everybody agreed there was a specific player who is going to be de-facto leader and also a divine being in anime-norse mythology setup). I feel like deciding on the combat system first would inform the remainder, though, so a system designed for throwin dice and doing cool combos in combat is the most important thing to help emulate a style close to the videogame's aesthetic.
>>
I've filed something like this away for use as a surprise to my players, only telling them that they should "keep their dead characters' sheets for the memories".

One day, when we finish the current game? The end of days for my setting will be coming, and only the dead PCs were bad enough dudes to stand a chance in hell at putting a stop to it.

The end of the world is only the beginning of their adventure.
>>
File: tenshi KILL ME_1.jpg (158 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
tenshi KILL ME_1.jpg
158 KB, 600x849
>>43886465

>TFW I've lost more characters due to the game simply petering out and dying instead of the characters themselves actually dying
>>
>>43885914
Don't forget Nintendo DS with its tactical approach.
>>
>>43885988
It would actually work well considering the strange rooster of characters that you have and how everyone have certain degree of access to magic-like skills-
>>
File: wineheadache.jpg (42 KB, 470x594) Image search: [Google]
wineheadache.jpg
42 KB, 470x594
>>43884968
>is this the same franchise the current Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid anime is from?
>>
File: 1445183961496.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445183961496.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1080
>>43884968
Unfortunately no.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.