[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to make a monster for an upcoming game based on this quote.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Neecheh.jpg (258 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Neecheh.jpg
258 KB, 1920x1080
I want to make a monster for an upcoming game based on this quote.

Idea 1: A flesh monster with regeneration and absorption that slowly flesh-fuses with an opponent every round that they both damage eachother. If the monster completely fuses with the opponent before it is killed it, adds HD and flailing bladed arms to its roiling fleshy body.

Idea 2: A monster that fights like a generic demon but possesses any opponent that kills it, similar to that guy from WH40K.

Idea 3: An amorphous void-monster which attacks foes willpower. Those who succumb are fixated on the void and drawn into it. They emerge as negative energy shades. As a secondary attack, the creature can burn an opponent's psyche from the inside out, leaving a brainless husk.

I could also just combine all three. I don't want to inflame edition wars by saying the system, but if anyone cares its a level 7 DND 3.5 one shot with players who are skilled at min-maxing and character building.

What do you guys think of those? Also if anybody else wants to share concept ideas for new monsters that would be cool.
>>
>3.5
>>
File: carluts.png (315 KB, 1130x900) Image search: [Google]
carluts.png
315 KB, 1130x900
>>43878277
Goddammit man, come on.
>>
>>43878240
>Idea 1: A flesh monster with regeneration and absorption that slowly flesh-fuses with an opponent every round that they both damage eachother. If the monster completely fuses with the opponent before it is killed it, adds HD and flailing bladed arms to its roiling fleshy body.
>Idea 2: A monster that fights like a generic demon but possesses any opponent that kills it, similar to that guy from WH40K.
>Idea 3: An amorphous void-monster which attacks foes willpower. Those who succumb are fixated on the void and drawn into it. They emerge as negative energy shades. As a secondary attack, the creature can burn an opponent's psyche from the inside out, leaving a brainless husk.
I have one problem with all of these monsters: they only become interesting once they've killed a PC. Your obstacles shouldn't only be interesting post-PC-Death. That's a fundamental flaw.
>>
>>43878240

A spirit of malice that cannot be fought directly at first, and returns after a while every time its slain.

The trick is that during their struggle with the entity, players are tricked into making decisions and impossible choices that result in as much death and misery as the spirit has caused by itself.
>>
>>43878314

>Hey Fryman, you gonna help me with my campaign or what
>>
A monster that has the ability to swap out or steal memories and replace them with bland ones.

Like all the king remembers doing is signing boring documents but in reality he helped knight several Player characters and now the monster knows there identities.

It would look like a Mindflayer but more "focused" if that makes sense
>>
>>43878240
Idea 3, if you're okay with being lethal. Let them fight it blind if they want a bonus to the willpower rolls.
>>
>>43878240
Retarded/10

Make the players fight off a group that looks like bandits, then when they come to the next town they realized the fought and killed a mercenary group that was loved by the people. The town declares war on the group and they are forced to kill, steal and ravage the townspeople.

Now they are the monsters.
>>
>>43878414
I'm thinking the absorption/ void consumption abilities will take a few rounds, similar to how a mindflayer's brain devour works.
>>
>>43878683
Well I think that would come closer to the meaning of the quote (though not capture it precisely) but its an encounter I'm designing here, not a story arc.
>>
>>43878240
I don't think that quote works too well for a one-shot. I'd probably make a monster from which you can harvest a consumable item that gives stat boost.
But as you keep using the item you become addicted to it, start loosing your mind, etc. until you become one of those monsters as well.

The three monsters you made don't have anything to do with the quote, they just have some general mind control/absorption theme.
In general, I don't believe Nietzsche's philosophy can work within DnD, they are pretty much the polar opposite.
>>
>>43878240
The Void itself should be the monster. Instead of making up another Hollywood monster for your players to slay effortlessly, let them go through a near-death experience. Spend an afternoon on /x/ if you find yourself lacking inspiration on how to do it.
>>
File: sadorc.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sadorc.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1080
>>43878889
But alas, it will be a one-shot, this much I can not change.

>>43878914
I do visit /x/ on occasion, although the /pol/ influence on /x/ makes it less entertaining these days. A pyschotropic monster that makes the players traverse some kind of etherial dimension though... hmmm, that is interesting concept. I might work with the Aura of Lassitude monster there and make some changes.
>>
File: wizzard.png (161 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wizzard.png
161 KB, 480x360
>>43878429
It's just one encounter not a whole campaign.

>>43878645
I'm going to start it off with some shade minions who were previously absorded to burn off (hopefully) some of the PC's resources. If the PC actually fails and dies well then they deserve it. I'm thinking the encounter can be set in an arena with numerous columns and a single bright light source. The shadows cast by the columns will provide cover for the shades so I can get a "STAY IN THE LIGHT!" kinda feel.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.