[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snakecatcher Quest: Thread 69
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 4
File: snek.jpg (14 KB, 227x250) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
14 KB, 227x250
Previously, Cennen goes mad with a small amount of power as Hiss does her best to play Snake Civ-Quest.

Previous Threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Snakecatcher%20Quest
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OuroQM
Party: http://pastebin.com/hcK81hKL
Inventory: http://pastebin.com/kpSHTiZi
Pastebin Directory: http://pastebin.com/yYATEBvy
Thing where you ask questions: http://ask.fm/OuroQM
>>
>>43876339
The Duke towers over you, the forest rich with the scent of leaf-mould and rotting flesh. You have to admit, this isn’t exactly how you pictured the long-absent lord of all these lands. No wonder he doesn’t talk to anyone.
“Take me to your Queen. We must discuss the treaty anew.”

You remember Hiss telling you about some sort of treaty between the Duke and the old Serpent King, the two preeminent mystical powers of the forest. The King tolerated the Duke taming the land and in turn the Duke helped shield Snakehome. Wasn’t it him that protected all of this from the Sight in the first place?
But the way that Hiss had put it made it sound like he was only kept in check out of fear or respect for the King’s own strength. Strength, that to put it bluntly, Hiss does not yet have. Her victory only came with your help and was limited to a brief empowerment thanks to your wish. What would he want with her?

Your own hesitation is not shared by Orange who seems rather blase about the Duke’s sudden presence. Have they met? Probably not but it seems that the Keeper is no stranger to the residents here.

> Just comply with his request.

> Lie about the King’s death.

> Leave Orange with the Duke and run ahead to warn Hiss.

> Put on a strong front and ask him to wait or at least make himself more presentable before the Queen will deign to see him.

> Tell him he’s done a pretty shitty job actually governing.

> Ask him about your village.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Make A Wish (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43876350
>> Tell him he’s done a pretty shitty job actually governing.
>>
>>43876350
>> Put on a strong front and ask him to wait or at least make himself more presentable before the Queen will deign to see him.
The one thing Hiss has is fashion sense
>> Tell him he’s done a pretty shitty job actually governing.
>> Ask him about your village.
>>
>>43876350
>>
>>43876350
>> Just comply with his request.
>>
>>43876350
Rock already told him what happened and I bet Hiss has a plan for how to deal with him.
>>
>>43876369
>>43876389
You really think antagonizing the supremely powerful being right before negotiations is a good idea? Really?
>>
>>43876350
>> Just comply with his request.
>>
>>43876465
It is called speaking truth to power.
>>
>>43876669
I still fail to see how it will help anything in this situation
>>

You stare up at Rock but the little spirit doesn't answer. She summoned the Duke here but why? Does she want him to reign Hiss in? To topple her from her newfound throne?
You won't bother asking her just yet, not in front of the Duke himself. You need to show a unified front for Hiss' sake.

You settle for bowing as best you can.
"Of course. Please follow me, I'm sure the Queen will grant you an audience right away."

The Duke nods, looking down at you with hidden eyes. Does he even have eyes anymore? All you can see inside the thin eye-slit of his mossy helmet are grasping roots.

You orient yourself as best you can and start walking, the Duke and Orange following you. Orange is quiet, all of her attention still focused on keeping their pile of census applications safe.

As you walk you can't help but become curious.
"May I ask you a question, your Grace?"

"Speak."

"You know I'm not from around here. What has become of my village?"

"My hunters? They respect my contract with the forest, they live well and do not despoil my land. Poaching has been kept to a minimum. All is well."

"Er, I meant more the people..."

"Tell me alchemist," the Duke says. "Do I look like someone who goes among his subjects? I must hide myself away and hold the contract. If you are worried for family members or friends then I must apologize, I cannot offer you comfort."

"But they're probably safe right?"

"There have been no deaths in the past year. That is all I know."

"Thanks. I guess?"

"One question repays another. What are you doing here? This is not your place and yet you reek of serpents."

> "I'm the Royal Consort actually."

> Tell him about capturing Hiss.

> "It's a long story."

> "I fell in with a bad crowd."

> "I helped the Queen escape the King in the first place."

> Feed him some sort of lie (Specify)

> Stay silent.

> Other
>>
>>43876765
>> Tell him about capturing Hiss.
>>
>>43876765
> "It's a long story."
>I'm rather close to the Queen, or was.
>>
>>43876765
>>
>>43876765
>>
>>43876811
>>43876820
>>43876836
>saying this in front of Orange

Well shit, meet fan.
>>
>>43876853
What's the problem?
>>
>>43876465
You just have to follow the WWHD rule. What would Hiss do?
>>
>>43876890
>Human claiming to be fuck buddies with snake
remember her father's reaction?
>Capturing the Queen
Makes her entire reign suspect and puts a massive target on our back.
>>
>>43876853
the snakes in general will find out at some point regardless
>>
>>43876946
and the later it is the less of a hit to HIss it is for the "Fucks with humans for fun" front although she may never touch us again depending on backlash.

The capturing her bit makes every snake either after us or after her depending on their loyalty.
>>

You clear your throat, unsure on how to best handle this.
"I'm the royal consort actually."
Behind you, Orange nearly drops their papers again.

The Duke seems a little confused as well.
"That is not an official title I recall the King having. In fact, I was not under the impression that any of you had titles at all."

"The Queen is different. She's been looking at a new way of doing things."

"Is that so? I hope none of them are too...aggressive. The King was always very respectful of my requests that Snakehome stays as it was."
Oh dear. You hope Hiss is at least a little secretive about her ambitions. Thankfully Orange doesn't start prattling about the war though they are looking at you strangely.

"So tell me, how did you ever come about this most prestigious of positions?"
You can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not but you're starting to get the idea that he's taking the piss out of you just a little.

"I was the one that helped the Queen escape from the first place."

"Hrm. I recall the King telling me about her disappearance. By the time he came to me she was already out of my grasp. So far she sounds quite hot-headed."

"I'd refrain from telling her that to her face."

"So she is?"

"There's nothing wrong with the Queen," Orange says. "She's been instituting this new census program which I LOVE. I really need to thank her for it."
She's still completely under your wish's thrall as far as you can tell.

"A census? Of Snakehome? Why would she need to do that?"

Orange is more than happy to have somebody to talk to about her new obsession.
"We need to get a good idea about everyone's Art you see, understand our collective capabilities. It's very important."

The Duke rumbles.
"Why would she need that?"

> Lie

> Tell him about Hiss' plans.

> Change the subject.

> Interrupt Orange before she can reply.

> Make A Wish (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43877108
Her father was not happy with her, and she wants to know what all her subjects are capable of. The royal throne is a literal hole in the ground.
As soon as rock is out of earshot we need to burn a wish for Orange not to blab to everyone.
>>
>>43877108
She wants to get organized information about each of her subjects in order to better rule them. You'll have to ask her for further details.
>>
>>43877108
>>43877155
This works.
>>
>>43877108
>> Interrupt Orange before she can reply.
She cares to know who her subjects are. She is a snake of the people
>>
>>43877155
They're following us directly to hiss, getting out of earshot is impossible.
>>
>>43877108
>Tell him about Hiss' plans.
Rock probably told him already, besides, it's not like we're completely on board with it
>>
>>43877108
> Change the subject.
bring up Bart and what he plans to do about him
>>

Orange opens their mouth to probably blurt out literally everything he knows about the census but you interrupt her before they can say anything.
"Because the Queen cares to know who her subjects are. She is a snake of the people. And besides..."
You lean in as if imparting some great secret.
"Some snakes have been less than happy about the way she has assumed the throne. Best to know what everyone is capable of, no?"

"I see. That does make sense."
The Duke seems to have bought it for now.

As you begin to draw closer, the Duke speaks again.
"This is not the way to Snakehome. You are leading me towards the neighboring village."

"Snakehome itself took heavy damage during the Queen's chosen method of succession. She has set up office in the village for now."
That's even true and it prevents you from having to talk about how she's probably doing it to better oversee the organization for war.

"You mean the battle between her and the King? Aye, I witnessed it from afar as her rattles broke the sky. So you need not continue dissembling with me, I know she has terrifying power."

> "Yeah she's basically the strongest thing in the world." Play it up, play it up.

> "She's not as powerful as that fight made her look."

> Don't say anything else.

> Try to lead Orange aside once you're near the village so you can talk with them in private.

> Try to talk to Rock.

> Other
>>
>>43877464
> Try to talk to Rock.
>>
>>43877464
>> She has her moments
> Try to talk to Rock
>>
>>43877464
> Try to talk to Rock.
>>
>>43877464
> Try to talk to Rock.
promote Orange to interim lead census taker and send her off
>>
>>43877464
> Other
Have Orange go ahead of us and anounce the three of us are coming
>>
>>43877464
> She has her moments

> Try to lead Orange aside once you're near the village so you can talk with them in private.
>>
>>43877613
it might be better to keep her with us to prevent her spreading the whole royal consort thing around before we talk to hiss about it
>>
> Try to talk to Rock.

You tap Orange on the shoulder, making her fangs pop out for just a moment. She quickly calms down, her large stack of applications still clutched tightly.
"Yes?"

"Orange, I might be busy for a while. You're promoted to lead census officer in the interim. It's your job to take them."

Her eyes light up.
"Thank you!"
She scurries off ahead, ready to visit bureaucracy upon other unwilling souls.

That just leaves you and the Duke, who does not comment on this exchange. You get the feeling that he's more of the silent type. So instead of trying to start another conversation you just peer up at his shoulder where Rock is sitting.
The spirit seems to be avoiding your gaze.

"Excuse me your Grace, do you mind if I speak to the spirit?"

"Naturally. I understand the two of you to be friends of a sort."
The Duke brushes Rock off, sliding the spirit down to you.

Rock lands on the tip of your index finger, fidgeting her seven legs.
-I understand this looks bad. And relax, he can no longer hear me.-

You walk until you hope you're out of earshot of the Duke following you.
"What the hell are you doing?" you hiss.

-Cennen, you cannot believe that what Hiss plans is right.-

"That doesn't matter right now, why did you tell him?"

-He was going to find out sooner or later. And do not worry, I have not told him about her true intentions. He will serve as a harbinger to her, a wake-up call from a very unpleasant dream. She must learn that there are other powers beside her that cannot be swept aside and forget her dreams of conquest. Let her be happy ruling over her brethren but no further.-

> "It's not your place to interfere."

> Disagree. You've struggled with the idea yourself but you want Hiss to rule.

> Agree.

> Agree but tell Rock that it doesn't matter, what Hiss wants is what's important.

> Other
>>
>>43877897
>>
>>43877897
>> Agree.
She won't go for it though. She's more stubborn than anyone either of us have ever known.
>>
>>43877897
> "It's not your place to interfere."
>>
>>43877897
The constrictors of Quedesh are a threat to our people. Our leaders think we have a treaty with them but it's a farce. A country led by Hiss has a better chance against them when war inevitably comes. I believe I can keep her away from the path of true evil.
>>
>>43877897
>>43877950
kind of in this vein, obviously we would prefer she not go around killing innocents for soul food, but it is clear that even without her the outward colonial pressure has been building in this community. It won't be easily stopped at this point, and the solution will have to be nuanced

cennan probably wouldn't say it that way though
>>
>>43877897
>>
>>43878070
Anon you are a fucking moron. Quedesh is on the other side of the world. They'd have to march across a lot of nations tor each us, and have no desire to so.
>>
>>43877932
>>43878070
>>43878105
All this "Hiss can do no wrong" Apologists.

She's setting up the same damn system we criticized Aash's home for.
>>
>>43877897
> Agree.
>>
>>43877897
> Agree.
It's stupid and greedy and will get her stabbed in the back, as well as cause lots of suffering. But she's too stubborn to listen.
>>
This is retarded. We've been totally fine with it whenever she mentioned her plans for conquest but now you guys are suddenly completely against it.
>>
>>43877897
>>
>>43878253
>Being this fucking wrong.
>>
>>43878126
even though im in the agree crowd this isn't precisely necessarily true. We know there are powerful constrictors who keep their eyes on the outside world and it's clear their political environment is cutthroat.

In such circumstances its not at all unreasonable to think that a country in possession of an overabundance of long lived supernatural masterminds might not have some parties who look to colonial conquest to stake their territory
>>
>>43878282
Those parties would lose all their standing in the court, which would be a death sentence. Since they'd lose everything. Quedesh is even more inward focused than Snakehome, and it's created a caste system that it religiously enforces to maintain the status quo. The only serpents who might try would lack the backing to do so. Especially since any serpent who sends major forces, would be VERY vulnerable to all their enemies at home.
>>
>>43878336
The fact that some foreigners destroyed their holy site might be a catalyst for holy war or at least widespread anti-teln sentiment
>>
We've seen a snake ruled country is shit. They don't need to live in a society, and in fact I think most of them aren't fit to do it. Thing is, having to live in hiding has forced them to do just that here in Snakehome. I believe that most snakes would choose to keep to themselves instead of butting in human bussiness, and what Hiss should do is find a way for them to be able to live out of hiding.
>>
>>43878406
Snakehome snakes are entirely different from quedeshi snakes.
>>
>>43878396
and? The nobles would never go for it. They don't care about the holy sight except as a way for power. If ANY of them sent major forces, that'd be a perfect time for their myriad enemies at court to off them. Furthermore since they don't fight themselves Teln which has a much better military with alchemic and wizardly backing would smoke them.

>>43878424
Both still look down on humans as inferior. One's just more condescending than the other.
>>
> Agree.

"You're right," you whisper. "It's stupid and greedy but she's more stubborn than either of us combined. I doubt this will convince her."
And besides you've been getting the feeling that she wasn't the only one seeking conquest, Snakehome had fallen behind her far too quickly. There are a lot of snakes who clearly think that this has been a long time coming.
In hindsight, having Aashenpreet around to talk to them about Quedesh's age-old serpentine dominance probably wasn't great either.

-But we have to try.-

"But why bring him into it? You could have just asked for my help!"

-Because she has you wrapped around her finger Cennen.-

"That's not true."

-Is it? She only has to speak and you fawn over her. You have a collar around your neck but you delude yourself into thinking you hold the leash.-

"I'm glad you think so highly of me."

-I'm sorry Cennen. But where you are going, I cannot follow.-

The Duke sweeps into the village as the sun sets, humans and snakes alike backing out of his way. Your census rampage was not so long ago but if the large number of beautiful women confounds the Duke, he says nothing.
You lead him through as best you can, the Duke leaving a snail-trail of rotting leaves and dried blood behind him.

Hiss is still within the chieftain's house, consulting with her council of serpents. She doesn't even blink when the Duke appears on her doorstep, snapping her fingers.
"Everyone get out."

The house empties itself with surprising speed, a tide of snakes erupting past your legs and ankles. Orange, who's reached the house long before you, grabs one of them and abducts it for census-taking.

> Stay as Hiss and the Duke talk.

> She probably wants you to leave too. Go help Orange instead.

> Pretend to leave but eavesdrop instead.

> Other
>>
>>43878336
i was sort of implying the people who would do it were those without much standing.

Specifically we know that tanni has sent forces to fight in foreign wars, its not beyond the realm of reason to think she might surreptitiously support a foreign adventure backed by snake with nothing to lose. With Teleran itself embroiled in a foreign adventure it might be militarily weak ot such conquest

that's all a hypothetical but what im driving at is that i do believe snake integration into the teleran ruling system could ultimately be a net positive, it just has be handled carefully.
>>
>>43878479
>> Stay as Hiss and the Duke talk.
>>
>>43878424
Yeah, that's why I think most of them would rather be left alone instead of living amongst humans and engaging in meaningless schemes with the other snakes.
>>
>>43878479
>> Pretend to leave but eavesdrop instead.
>>
>>43878479
>Stay as Hiss and the Duke talk.
>>
>>43878479
>> Pretend to leave but eavesdrop instead.
>>
>>43878479
Ask if we could be allowed to attend too
>>
>>43878479

>>43878499
Still it'd be relatively few troops and even fewer snakes. Teleran ahs lots of alchemists, wizards, and land magic users. Furthermore most of the snakes would be weak, almost laughably so if they're young and lacking standing.. Think Aashenpreet, strong with shapechange but naught else. Dangerous yes, but crossbows kill giants too, as would a simple explosive.
>>
>>43878548
Aash is from the weakest group of snakes possible.
>>
>>43878479
> Stay as Hiss and the Duke talk.
We're the royal consort god dammit!
>>
>>43878548
What type of snake is more dangerous to fight in war? The Snakehome ones are all deadly venomous while the Quedeshi are inhumanly strong giants. Just counting their 'base forms' that is, obviously art like scales throws it all off.
>>
>>43878479
> She probably wants you to leave too. Go help Orange instead.
no fun allowed antiwar fags are the worst
>>
>>43878479
>>
>>43878569
and? Any other aspiring conquerer would be weak compared to it's elders. and young meaning lacking many arts that would make it scary.

>>43878596
Open battle? Constrictors
Anywhere else? Snakehome.

Do keep in mind you'd only run into experienced snakehome snakes, where as any constrictors outside Quedesh would be young and weak. Making snake homers even more dangerous.

>>43878625
Why don't you try and nobble every snake again?
>>
Calling the vote for staying. Writan
>>
>>43878625
Apparently they want to sit around in Snakehome for the rest of cennens life.
>>
>>43878625
It's not really a matter of 'fun'.
This whole quest is about Hiss wanting to prove herself to her father and believing the only way to do it to cause mass slaughter for no real reason. I mean, she was sad after her father's death and shows that war is not actually what she wants.

This tale is ending badly if we keep encouraging Hiss.
>>
>>43878548
sure but we can't forget that quedesh has its own wizards and a surfeit of extremely skilled soldiers.

The point im making isn't quite in agreement with the original because i don't think we imminently need hiss to conquer teleran for defensive reasons although i think its not implausible to be worried about unchecked magical superpower which might well prefer to conquer an economically powerful but geographically isolated location such as teleran

Rather I just think there might be advantages to involving the snakes in the rule of the country in which they live, its just their lust for dominance and souls that could prove difficult.
>>
>>43878625
Yeah we agreed with Hiss that we would follow her to greatness. Apparently that means being a resident of a village next to a big hole in the ground.
>>
>>43878596
It really depends on what arts they have available, but constrictors have the advantage of being somewhat harder to nobble.
Though speaking of war, I relly think Hiss is underestimating Human capabilities. The conquest of quedesh happened a long time ago, Teleran has made great advances. Plus there's the issue of the wishbond, every snake caught is a soldier lost for Hiss and gained for the humans, plus they'd be unable to lie if questioned
>>
>>43878696
without the war there will be no snakecatcher quest. there's hardly anything left to do.
>>
>>43878781
Speaking of wishbonds, I want to nibble a squad of snakes before a battle and use the wishes to command and empower them.
>>
>>43878742
>>43878781
>>43878810
I think we can agree that we can at least try to satisfy Hiss and clearly the larger snake community's desire to increase their status and standing without endorsing wholesale slaughter and bloodshed or obstinately arguing for living in a hole in the ground
>>
>>43878874
nobble*
Also they would be immune to further wishbonds with this method
>>
>>43878883
>Sell lots of unique alchemy
>Buy lots of raw materials and labor
>Build a massive complex so every snake gets warm bathes, and nice sunning rock and freshly prepared food.
>>
>>43878810
Obviously, the war is likely to happen now that there's nothing to do.
I just thought the quest was going to end with confronting Hiss' father and culminating in her maturing as a person and not needing to conform to some bullshit standard she made up.
>>
>>43878937
this^ So much this.
>>
>Stay as Hiss and the Duke talk.

The Duke ducks down and still barely scrapes his way through the door, leaving a mouldy residue around the doorway. You edge in behind him, taking up a seat next to Hiss. You're the royal consort damnit, you should be a part of this! You ignore the fact that the title of 'Royal Consort' is one that you have entirely bestowed upon yourself.

Hiss glances at you irritably as you sit beside her, having evidently meant you as well when she told everyone to get out. She says nothing however, not willing to show flaws in her authority while in the Duke's presence.
As the Duke somehow squeezes his bulk into the chair opposite her, she takes your hand in hers beneath the table.

"You are the new Serpent Queen?"

"Indeed, your Grace. And I am glad to welcome you and grant you audience though perhaps next time it would do you well to announce yourself first."

"Forgive me for my hasty arrival, your Majesty. You look smaller than when I saw you last."

Hiss tries to keep her face blank.
"Of course. I can't very well expect to take that form for long, I would crush my own subjects."
She hardly wants him to know that the Snake Empress that he witnessed was not her own power after all.
"Now what is it that you want?"

"Firstly, to offer condolences for your father's death."

"Accepted," Hiss says a little sharply. "I understand that the two of you had a rapport."

"You could say that. And that is the second reason for why I have come. I would like to renew the treaty that I made with the King, may his rest be unbroken."

"Gladly. You have been our long ally and your magic has helped protect our solitude."

"Then we have an agreement? Keep in mind that there exist several stipulations for our arrangement. First and foremost among them is that Snakehome remains as it is."

Hiss grits her teeth just a little.
1/2
>>
>>43878937
Dude her people are tired of living in a small village and want to reclaim their ancestral homeland. If they were humans with the same desires you would wholeheartedly support the war effort.
>>
>>43878986
They've lost it for centuries if not longer, and have no real claim to it besides, "Dragons once ruled the whole world, we're descended from dragons, thus it should be ours." Which is shaky at minimum, stupid at worst. It's be the same as America trying to reclaim England.
>>
>>43878986
It's not so much about the war and the snakes as it is about Hiss and what she wants, and she has dropped hints(getting cold feet before facing off against her father, crying after this death.) that it isn't what she wants at all.

Besides, the snakes have a crippling weakness in the wish bond and stepping into the spotlight is just going to end badly for everyone.
>>
>>43878982
"Why would it be anything else? My father and his fathers before him have always preached isolation. We have never wanted anything with human lands."

The Duke nods, antlers scraping against the wall. Why would he bring that up so quickly? Does he suspect?

Hiss herself seems to be coming to the same conclusion and she does the only thing that comes naturally to her. To strike back.
"Tell me your Grace, how goes your holdings in Melire?"

The Duke is silent.

"I thought so. It seems to me that you should make sure your own house is clean before you start making implications."

You think you see the Duke's eyes for just a moment, mere glitters behind the thorns.
"You know of my usurper?"

"Know? He's attacked us! Did you think that we would not recognize your work?"

The Duke seems to diminish, almost shrinking.
"I am truly sorry. I wanted to keep it a secret, I was unaware that they had used my power against you."

"It is your job to shepherd the land," Hiss snaps. "And what a great job you've done so far."

> Continue to let this unfold.

> Suggest that we may be able to help the Duke.

> Ask Duke what he can do to make it up for you.

> Tell Duke more about Bart.

> Make a wish

> Other
>>
>>43879143
>> Suggest that we may be able to help the Duke.
> Tell Duke more about Bart.
>>
>>43878986
heh, lets no bring complicated real life politics into the matter, we can simply recongize that even in the real world such efforts have historically been controversial.

Still its quite understandable that snakes want something more than a hole in the ground. The only problem is they aren't going to be easily convinced to see humans as equals or even lesser partners in governance. And humans probably won't want to cooperate with soul eating monsters.
>>
>>43879143
Hiss has a plan. Let's not interfere.
>>
>>43879166
Letting him know about our involvement with Bart is completely idiotic
>>
>>43879143
>>
>>43879143
>> Continue to let this unfold.
but be prepped to intercede before anything truly final occurs
>>
>>43879143
>Suggest that we may be able to help the Duke.
> Ask Duke what he can do to make it up for you.

My angle here is to get in good with the Duke and expanding the borders of Snakehome without going to war if possible.
>>
>>43879333
You're really planning to sabotage Hiss' negotiations?
>>
>>43878986
REMOVE POTION remove potion you are the worst human. you are the human idiot you are the human smell. Give bak our clay we will crush you like soul of pig, Snakehome strong Snakehome greatest country
I can't be arsed to do the full thing

In other news, vote called for continue to let this unfold.
>>
>>43879143

Hiss is on a roll.
>>

You decide not to say anything just yet, Hiss probably has some sort of plan with where she's taking this and jumping in might just undermine her authority in the eyes of the Duke.

Hiss suddenly stands up, taking a posture of strength over the slumped Duke.
"Thanks to your mistakes the royal bloodline was nearly snuffed out forever! Are you aware of what kind of crime that would be? To cut a thread that has been spun since the Creation of the world?"

"Protecting your genealogy is not one of my many duties."

"Then what is, pray tell? Because as far as I can see, you have been negligent in all of them!"

"Once again, I am sorry for the actions of my usurper."

"Words are empty without action to back them up. Reparations must be paid."

"And just what would you have in mind?"

"Renew the barrier and kill the one who threatens us both."

The Duke is silent for some time.
"I cannot. Whoever they are, they remain within the font of stolen power. I can no longer enter their grove and when I do, all I can do is linger like a shadow on the boundary. I can only walk within my land and the land there has forgotten me."

"Then what good are you? Why don't you send your vaunted foresters to kill him then?"
Hiss leans over the table, intent on staring the Duke down.

"I have. None have returned."

"Then your servants are as weak as you."

"Perhaps. But your kind are strong, are they not?"
The Duke appears unfazed by Hiss' posturing.
"I can arrange for those of your choosing to find their way to Melire. And if they kill our mutual enemy then all will be well. The treaty will be renewed and your scryguard empowered."

Hiss blinks first.
"Deal. Cennen, get to it."

> "What, just me?"

> "Aren't you coming too?"

> "I need to brew first."

> "At least let me get some others as well."

> "I think this is a bad idea."

> Make a wish (Specify)

> Other
>>
File: sortoflookslikethedukeiguess.jpg (179 KB, 637x799) Image search: [Google]
sortoflookslikethedukeiguess.jpg
179 KB, 637x799
Sorry about the delay by the way, I was on the phone with work. Turns out they DO want me to come in tonight after all, change of plans. I'll still be able to run for 4 or 5 more hours or so, just fair warning that I won't be running for as long as last thread.
>>
>>43879622
>> "What, just me?"
Yup, She's taking us for granted.
>>
>>43879622
Speak with more respect than usual though
>>
>>43879622
>> "Aren't you coming too?"
>> "I need to brew first."
>> "At least let me get some others as well."
>>
>>43879622
>> "I need to brew first."
>> "At least let me get some others as well."
>>
>>43879622
What are we getting out of this, don't agree to anything without negotiating terms. Bart might be our problem too, but we're cleaning up after the Duke.
>>
>>43879692
She's trusting that we're strong enough to deal with it without her. Don't try to turn everyone against her just because you're butthurt about the war.
>>
>>43879622
>> "What, just me?"

>>
>>43879622
It will be done, your majesty.
>>
>>43879756
>Getting this defenseive

C'mon anon you know it's true. She's ignored what we said, mind raped us when we've spoken or acted out, and pushed us away ever since she's taken the throne.
>>
>>43879622
>>
>>43879822
She's been busy organizing shit and wants to look strong to her subjects and the duke. You're just trying as hard as you can to stir shit up.
>>
>>43879622
>"I need to brew first."
>>

You can't help but feel that she's taking you at least a little for granted. You don't let it show.
"It will be done your Majesty. I just need some time to prepare first."

Hiss nods approvingly and the Duke rises from his seat.
"Then with your leave your Majesty, I will be waiting in the forest."
He somehow squeezes back out of the door, his footprints leaving spots of mildew and new shoots sprouting from the wooden floor. Only those and the lingering scent of rot and dried blood let you know that he was here at all.

Hiss pats you on the head after he leaves.
"Thank you Cennen, I know you can do it."

"Hold on Hiss," you say. "At least let me get some others as well. And will it be fine without you?"

"I trust that you are capable without me, you've proven it in the past."

"No I mean more in the wishbond way. What if I get hurt while away?"

Hiss purses her lips.
"Point taken. I've been meaning to ask you to break this wish-bond anyway."

> Make a wish (Specify)

> Ask her to just secure herself down or something.

> "I think you'll have to come with me."

> Use Potion (specify)

> Other
>>
>>43880039
>Wish for another sample of her strongest Venom
>Wish for as many scales, and skins as our pack can hold, and that she would not suffer from deleterious effects.
>>
>>43880039
> Make a wish (Specify)
Wish for her to give us a bottle worth of of blood and a few hairs
Then wish for a good luck kiss with no poison
>>
>>43880039
>Wish for reagents
and seconding
>>43880100
>Then wish for a good luck kiss with no poison
>>
>>43880100
This. We can always get more ingredients from whichever snake we bring. If possible we should ask her to make the ingredients as strong as possible but idk how that would work
>>
>>43880039
>>43880100
Sure.
>>
>>43880039
>> "I think you'll have to come with me.
>>
>>43880081
She just got a lot more powerful so I bet our own venom is pretty badass now too.
>>
>Wish for reagents
>Wish for a kiss.

You nod, trying to think of what sort of wish you could make. But then again, why not just go with the classics?
"I wish that you'd let me fill a bottle with your blood and take some of your hairs."

She smiles as you take out your pack.
"Granted."
Harvesting the blood goes quickly and she doesn't complain as you pluck a few glossy hairs from her head.

"And I wish for a good luck kiss. One without venom preferably."

Hiss pulls you over, taking you within her arms and kissing you as hard as she can. She grips you tight enough to hurt and you can feel her tongue brush against yours.
And then she lets you go, brushing herself off as if nothing happened. You think your lips might be bruised or something.
"You really are much too considerate with your wishes. Don't worry though, that's a good thing. It means I've trained you well. Now off you go."

She slaps you on the butt and pushes you out the door, leaving you alone with your pack. Time to brew you suppose. Your head is still spinning.

>Choose four potions to brew. You can select multiples of the same kind.
>>
>>43880438
Potence, Weakness, Ko cloud, Regeneration.
>>
>>43880438
shapeshifting brew
soulsight
soul guise
antimagic
>>
>>43880459
we already have super strength, why brew potence?
>>
>>43880543
Because Potence takes us from peak human to BTFO Anything other than Aash, and maybe even her?
>>
>>43880518
This, but replace soul guise with something else unless Melire has a seer. We're probably still wanted in Melire so a shapeshifting brew is necessary. Also Ouro, you need to add shapeshifting to our pastebin.
>>
>>43880438
Antimagic * 2
Shapeshifting
Snakebreaker
>>
Do we have a permanence potion?
>>
>>43880604
We already have 3 antimagic brews
>>
>>43880608
No I don't think so
>>
>>43880608
No. Huh wonder if we can permanence antimagic?
>>
>>43880608
http://pastebin.com/kpSHTiZi
Nope. It would be bad in this situation though, any spells Bart uses on us would become permanent.
>>
>>43880665
Yes, but it'd still last only 1 hit. Also

>Fighting a wizard with magic Permanent
Bad idea.
>>
Looks like Soulsight, Shapeshifting and Antimagic are ahead of the rest so I'm going to count them as being locked in.
Just one more pick.
>>
>>43880665
I would permanence anti magic, regeneration, and potency.

>>43880676
Assuming anti magic brews would prevent his spells from permanently affecting us.
>>
>>43880759
Rather if that is the case, I can see why it wouldn't work that way.
>>
>>43880738
Another dispel wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>43880738
How about a Champion Elixir?
>>
>>43880738
Knockout brew
>>
>Soulsight
>Shapeshifting
>Antimagic
>Knockout

It doesn't take you long to brew up all the potions you want, your hands now long-practiced at brewing quickly. You have all the reagents you need too, using the last scrap of Aashenpreet's old snakeskin as you brew.

The Duke will be waiting for you, ready to help you to embark for Melire by means unknown. But you won't be going alone. Hiss' royal decree still applies, allowing you to recruit anyone you please into extremely aggressive census duties.

>Oster

>Aashenpreet

>Orange

>Ellesander

>Eold

>Reggie

>Who says you need to know them? Use the census to locate the best snakes.

>Other
>>
>>43880978
>>Who says you need to know them? Use the census to locate the best snakes.
>>
>>43880978
>>Aashenpreet
>>Orange
>>Ellesander
>>
>>43880978
>Oster
>Ellesander
>>
>>43880978
Get rid of the wishbond with Orange first too
>>
>>43880978
>Orange
We atleast need to break the wishbond after we calm him down
>>
>>43880978
>>Oster
>Ellesander
>Reggie
>Orange
>>
>>43880978
>Oster
>Ellesander
>Aashenpreet
>>
>>43880978
Bringing too many would be suspicious
>>
>>43880978
>Oster

Aashenpreet can come but I don't want to involve her if she'd rather not. Ellesander is an interesting option too.
>>
Looks like votes favor forming a strike-team of people you personally know. Oster and Ellesander in particular.
>>
>>43881311
How about those two plus one more from the census?
>>
>Oster
>Ellesander
>Census

You think you know just the people for the job. Oster would probably be up for it and as for Ellesander, maybe she could just consider it practice for her duties in the vanguard?

You find the two of them still in the memorial grove, still waiting for his other students to perform their duties. Aashenpreet is no longer here and you can't help but wonder where she's gotten off to.

"Hey mate," Oster says as you get close. "What happened to your little helper? Finished the census already?"

"Hardly. Something more important came up."
You tell them about the Duke and his meeting with Hiss.

Oster sucks his breath in.
"I didn't figure we'd be doing that so soon but...it makes sense I guess. Of course I'm up for it."

Ellesander seems ambivalent.
"The Queen seems to have so many demands these days, doesn't she? I think I'll have to go have a little talk with her after this, just so she understands what it means to be polite and not have her lackeys continually make requests in her place."

You sigh.
"Are you coming or not? I still have her decree to recruit whoever I want for the census. And this is LIKE the census. Sort of."

"Yes, I'll come. It should be a fine test."

"Right. I think we could handle one more as well, we just need somebody really good. You two stay right here please, I need to go find Orange."

It doesn't take much searching to find Orange, still marching about with her stack of forms and nearly half a dozen wriggling snakes held in her hands. It looks like she's been quite tyrannical.

She lets go of the snakes as you approach and they hit the ground with a soft thump, eliciting hisses of disapproval but not much else. The snakes seem quite tolerant of her eccentricities.
"Cennen! I've been doing the census, I think I'm nearly done."

And she's still completely under the emotional thrall of the wish you made. Come to think of it, won't her wishbond make her a little crazy if you get hurt on your mission?
1/2
>>
>>43881515
You don't really want to take him with you.

"Orange, I want a list of the best snakes you have recorded for combat. Not necessarily the best or the oldest, just the ones best for some sort of strike team."

She ruffles through the stack with gusto, scanning each one. It only takes them a few minutes to give you a list of their names and what Arts they had that were notable beyond the usual shapeshifting and soul-eating.

> Zigzag: Scales, Dragon Scales, Hungry Scales, Artskin, Hunt-Sense, Precise Fangs, Cockatrice

>Snouty: Gorgon Eyes, Camouflage, Death Rattle, Mesmerizing Rattle, Last Rattle.

>Knot: Scales, Camouflague, Shroud, Unseen Hunter, Ambush, Amphibious, Sea Snake, Prey Scent

>Slither: Consummate Predator, Last Gasp, Scales, Dragon Scales, Growth, Worldbreaker Coils

Additionally

>Just leave Orange behind.

> Make some wishes to break Orange's wishbond.

> Take Orange
>>
>>43881743
>Zigzag
>>
>>43881743
>>Knot: Scales, Camouflague, Shroud, Unseen Hunter, Ambush, Amphibious, Sea Snake, Prey Scent
> Zigzag: Scales, Dragon Scales, Hungry Scales, Artskin, Hunt-Sense, Precise Fangs, Cockatrice

Wish you had a male form that you can remember
Wish for some more reagents.
>>
Needless to say, these are all snakes that Cennen has inflicted names upon.
>>
>>43881743
Male form
complete census
>>
>>43881743
>Knot: Scales, Camouflague, Shroud, Unseen Hunter, Ambush, Amphibious, Sea Snake, Prey Scent
Stealth would be super useful
I'm not 100% sure what a few of these arts are though
>>
File: name wizard.jpg (224 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
name wizard.jpg
224 KB, 760x596
>>43881743
>>43881812
We give the best names
>>
>>43881743
>>Knot: Scales, Camouflague, Shroud, Unseen Hunter, Ambush, Amphibious, Sea Snake, Prey Scent
>>
>>43881743
>>Slither: Consummate Predator, Last Gasp, Scales, Dragon Scales, Growth, Worldbreaker Coils
>Just leave Orange behind.
>>
>Zigzag
>Make some wishes to break Orange's wishbond

"Thanks, Zigzag sounds cool I guess. Magic immunity is probably the most important quality I'm looking for."

Orange nods, hopping from one foot to another while you study the list.
"Can you give it back now? I'd like to go back to finishing the census."

"I should probably free you too, huh? You're just going to be awkward otherwise. Firstly I wish you had a male form you could take."

Orange transforms almost immediately, flickering between their normal form and sending shed skin flying. They look...almost exactly the same, down to long orange hair in the ponytail. But their chest is flat so you guess it worked? You can't really tell. You decide not to question it, maybe it just took the path of least resistance.
"And for the third wish, I wish that you would complete this census. The wishbond will be broken once you do."

Orange starts to look a little manic, the desire to finish the census now double imprinted by various wishes. He runs off the moment you hand the applications back.

You find Zigzag crouching in the grass. She's the same as you remember her from when you named her and forced her to take a human form from the census. A very petite looking girl messy black hair wearing a white blouse and black trousers held up by suspenders. She's not the greatest at the human form, her mouth fanged and her eyes blank snake-slits at all times.
You actually have no idea if their original bodies are male or female, having been one of the ones you just threw the fashion catalogue at all. She hasn't been complaining so you didn't ask.

"Hi Zigzag."

She doesn't turn around for a few moments.
"That's my name, isn't it?"

"Yes. Yes it is. Now, I'm here to invoke my royal decree once more. The Queen wants you to-"

Her hand suddenly strikes at the patch of grass she had been crouching over, dragging up a rat and forcing it into her mouth. You can actually watch it slowly slide down her throat.
1/2
>>
>>43882254
She maintains eye contact the entire time. She doesn't seem to have realized she's interrupted you.

"As I was saying, the Queen wants you to help me on a very special mission. We'll be going into human lands and-"

"Can I kill humans? Can I eat souls?"

"What?"

"I want to eat humans. Will I get to eat humans?"

Some snakes, you reflect, take to being human less well than others.

> Yes. At least one.

> Only if you stay behaved.

> No.

> Tell her it doesn't matter what she wants, its a royal decree.

> Nobble

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43882336
Have you ever tried a wizard soul? I wonder what they taste like. You can have it when we kill him. Only if you behave and don't kill other humans though.
>>
>>43882336
>>We're about to fight a wizard who got his hands on landwell and wants to kill or enslave every snake he sees. A bunch of soul less humans would tip our hand, and he has way around magic resistance. If you MUST have a human soul you can try to take mine after this is over, deal?
>>
>>43882336
Ooookay, so she's a weirdo

> Yes. At least one.
JUST ONE
>>
>>43882372
This
>>
>>43882336
> Yes. At least one.
>>
>>43882336
> Yes. At least one.
> Only if you stay behaved.
> Nobble
We don't want a snake on the loose that wants to nobble Humans till we break it in.
>>
Calling for
> Yes. At least one.

Writan
>>
>>43882336
how about if we inevitably get opposed by fools, but not just willy nilly whoever you want.
>>
> Yes. At least one.

"Yeeees? At least one. But only one, do you hear me?"

"If I did not hear you I would not be having this conversation."

"It's a metaphor."

"What's that?"

"A human thing."
Having to explain all of this reminds you of when you and Hiss had just begun your travels, when you had to tell her several times what things like 'money' and 'property' meant.
Zigzag seems a lot calmer and more secure than Hiss however, despite faint similarities between their chosen human forms. She's a lot...grungier and feral.

"So I get one human?"

"Yes. But no more. Do not eat anymore. Or kill anyone without needing to."

"Okay, that sounds like fun. But if I don't get to eat a human, I'm going to eat you instead."

"Was that a threat?"

She looks blithely unconcerned, just stating facts. If she's making an effort to intimidate you, she isn't trying very hard. The fact that she's like, five feet tall doesn't help.
"No, just talking. I know the Queen won't like sharing prey but I'm going to eat a human today."

> ..."Sure, welcome to the team."

> "If you don't get anyone to eat you're welcome to fucking try."

> "On second thought, maybe someone else will be better."

> Nobble.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43882610
> Nobble.
Preemptive Nobble to show who's boss
>>
>>43882610
How about a wizard soul instead of a human?
>>
>>43882610
>>
>>43882610
Other humans might be but thinking of me as prey is a mistake.
>>
>>43882638
>>43882687
Guys. No. Resist the nobbling urge.
>>
>>43882610
> Nobble.
>>43882756
Why?
>>
>>43882768
Because we're making enemies of every snake we nobble.
>>
>>43882610
> ..."Sure, welcome to the team."
> "Why do you want to eat a human soul so badly? Haven't you done it before?"
>>
>>43882610
>> "If you don't get anyone to eat you're welcome to fucking try."
>>
>>43882768
Why nobble in this situation?
>>
Calling for telling her to bring it on if she can't find any.
>>
>>43882849
>>43882610
> ask why she wants to eat a human so badly

Maybe she can get what she wants another way?
>>

You sigh. You really want to nobble her right now, teach her the proper way to behave. But it probably isn't worth making an enemy of her and besides, she's in human form and is immune to any magic you don't literally force down her throat. It's probably more trouble than it's worth.

"Fine. If you don't get any you're welcome to fucking try."

"Your agreement was not required but yes. This is acceptable."

She falls in behind you and lets you lead her towards the grove where Oster and Ellesander should be waiting.
"Why do you want to eat a human soul so badly? Haven't you done it before?"

"Sure I have. There's a village not far from here, sometimes they have very small humans. Thought that they'd be small enough to swallow whole so I went in while the other humans weren't there."
She looks regretful.
"Soul was fine, body still too big. I nearly split myself open. And these days the Duke won't let us anywhere near that part of the forest."

You're not sure how to take that.
"Then why do you want to eat more?"

"Because your souls taste good. Bodies still much too big, even for this body. I should probably get bigger at some point."

"All of the knowledge and stuff in human souls must be good huh?" you say, still desperately trying to make small time while you walk.

"No. I always rip that stuff up and digest it quickly, boring. Are you sure it can only be one human?"

"Yes!"

"Okay. I'll just wait until the Queen expands our hunting grounds."

Oster and Ellesander are still waiting for you, Oster's sword back in its sheath. His face still seems naked without a brand.
"You're bringing HER?" Ellesander asks.

From there it's only a short trek into the forest, the Duke waiting for you in the trees. He is as still as the trees he emulates, moss spilling out from where he stands and coating the ground.
"Are you ready?"

"Sure. How long will it take to reach Mel-"

1/2
>>
>>43883051
> "You're bringing HER?" Ellesander asks.
Fucking weirdo even by snake standards
>>
>>43883051
The Duke is somehow flat against the background, like a two-dimensional drawing or a shadow. The details around him fade away, leaving a Duke-shaped hole in the world.

When you finally tear your eyes away from him, he is no longer in front of you but standing behind you. And the woods have changed, trees becoming thicker and filled with brambles and thorns. This isn't the same forest.

"Welcome to my old gardens. It was here that I first discovered the heart of the land."

"Wait? Are we in Melire already?"

"Yes. But I cannot bear you further. Here I am simply a shadow, nothing more. The usurper lies within the center. Goodbye."

"Hold on a minute," Ellesander demands but the Duke is already fading into the background.

"Just speak my name when you are ready to depart."

"But...I don't know your name," you say to the empty trees.

"Now what?"
Oster throws his hands up.
"Should we just go straight for it?"

> Straight for the center.

> If you recall correctly, the ducal mansion is just beyond. Bart might be able to call for help from the guards. You should probably take those out first.

> Send out some members to scout ahead first.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43883141
>> If you recall correctly, the ducal mansion is just beyond. Bart might be able to call for help from the guards. You should probably take those out first.
>>
>>43883141
Oster be ready to intercept the guards
>>
>>43883141
>>
>>43883141
>> Send out some members to scout ahead first.
oster and MAYBE ellesander, also we should ask her about how psychopathic zig is considered by snake standards
>>
>>43883141
Have oster do some recon.
We still have the danger flask, right?
>>
>>43883141
Give Oster an antimagic and tell Oster about where the guards may come from. Let's keep the element of surprise as much as possible.
>>

No, it's best to preserve as much of the element of surprise as possible.
"Let's just go for it. Oster, the guards might start coming from the behind so be ready."
You throw him an antimagic brew and he drinks it, drawing his sword as he does so.

Zigzag beholds the horrendously overgrown gardens that you have found yourself within blankly.
"I don't like this place."

"Easy now," Oster says. "It's just trees."

"Bad trees."

The four of you start your advance, going slowly so you can pick your way through the thorns without making a ruckus. Oster is by far the best at this and Ellesander moves with almost complete silence. You're only third best, with Zigzag being just a little worse than you and probably only because she's not used to her boy.

You find the time to walk next to Allesander, letting yourself be carried in her wake of picked apart thorns and small trees.
"Hey," you whisper. "What was that about Zigzag? How psychopathic is she?"

"Psycho-what? No, not at all. I didn't think she'd come. She's quite admirable I think, hews very close to her essential nature. Too many of us eat humans and let ourselves become something else. But her? She is a snake's snake."

You feel something twisting around you, once more heading towards that special within that you've only trespassed on once before. It's a lot easier than last time. Where once stood a locked door is now only an empty doorway, smashed down through brute force.

You peer into the clearing while doing your best to remain hidden.

Where once the Duke's bizarre totem once stood, a gnarled ghost gum is growing. A bare tree with no leaves and rimmed with constantly melting frost that forms a shallow pool of meltwater around its roots.

You can't see Bart anywhere! Nobody else can either, by the looks of it.
1/2
>>
>>43883453

>Looks like you've caught him while he was out? Enter the clearing and investigate.

>Attack the tree, it's probably the source of his power.

>Call his name out in a challenge. That'll get him to reveal himself.

>Flee

>Send only some people in to attack (Specify)

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43883472

Dispelling brews?
>>
>>43883472
>> Use Potion (Specify)
Soul sight look for janky wizard souls.
>>
>>43883472
Dispel the tree, drink a soulsight and then an antimagic and look around while both of the snakes take defensive positions around us.
>>
>>43883453
>>Attack the tree, it's probably the source of his power.
>>
File: cennen plays bloodborne.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cennen plays bloodborne.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>43883472

Dispels
>>
>>43883453
You feel something twisting around you, once more heading towards that special within that you've only trespassed on once before. It's a lot easier than last time. Where once stood a locked door is now only an empty doorway, smashed down through brute force.
What?
>>
>>43883472
>Send only some people in to attack (Specify)
Zigzag should be immune to his shit, we should send her in first in case it's an ambush
>>
>>43883616
The last time you were here the inner gardens where the totem was protected by a magical meddling with directions, requiring you to walk in a direction that did not exist. It was only Bart's staff that lead you through it. Keeper spatial warping stuff.

But now that's Bart has firmly taken up residence and takes people in and out of it all the time (most notably Iana), it's been eroded away so walking to it is simply a matter of walking towards the middle.

Calling it for attacking the tree btw
>>

You don't trust any of this. Your memories of the fugue state when you carried the staff here are scratchy but you think it wanted to be planted here? Maybe that tree is what become of it? It's been a while.
Either way, it doesn't belong here. You signal everyone forward, something only Oster understands. Ellesander is quick to follow however and Zigzag eventually gets it.

Oster walks around the tree uneasily, never touching the boundary of the pool of water around it.
"How are we supposed to kill this? Cennen, get over here."

You walk forward into the clearing hesitantly, looking about for any sign of the enemy. And that's when you see what Oster's pointing out.

The pool of water around the white tree is shallow but the ground itself is hollowed out so it's a little deeper than it looks. Deep enough to hold a person.
A woman is lying beneath the water, her arms crossed above her chest as if she was sleeping. Her mouth is open and her chest rises and falls, breathing without air.
You recognize her, though not well. It's Iana, the mayor's niece. What the fuck does she have to do with any of this?
"A hostage?"

"If so," Oster says, "I don't think he understand who he's up against. Do you want me to just stab her now?"

> "No!"

> "...Okay. Do it."

> Poke the water with a stick.

> See if you can just reach in and grab her.

> Ask someone else to grab her.

> Ignore her, blow up the tree.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43883910
>> Use Potion (Specify)
Dispel on her.
>>
>>43883910
>> Poke the water with a stick.
For gods sake Oster! Have you never heard of the scientific method?
>>
>>43883910
> "...Okay. Do it."
don't care about her at all
also drink a damn antimagic cennen
>>
>>43883910
>>43883986
>>43883964
poke first then dispel
>>
>>43883910
Drink Anti-magic
> Poke the water with a stick.
>>
>>43883910
Drink a soul grasp and then
> "...Okay. Do it."
I think he's using her body as a vessel for his soul. He'll try to leave it when she dies but we can grab him.
>>
>>43883986
>>43883998
>>43884005
what will poking accomplish? are you people serious? waking her up will do nothing beneficial
>>
>>43883910
> "...Okay. Do it."
>>
>>43884055
We're poking the water, not her. I'd rather not get a faceful of sword sharpnel if there's some sort of protection active
>>
I was wondering whether we were going to have a tie rolloff or not. And for such an important decision, too!

Evens for poking, odds for swording. You're drinking the antimagic either way.
>>
>>43884132
Still, what are you trying to accomplish by poking the water?
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>43884151
aw fuck, here's the dice.

>captcha asking me to identify bodies of water.
It knows what's up
>>
>>43884179
Poke>>43883986
>>43883998
>>43884005

Sword>>43884009
>>43884119
>>
>>43884179
We're doing the soul grasp thing too right?
>>
>>43884256
You missed the first sword vote
>>
>>43884347
It's 3v3. Learn to count.
>>
> "...Okay. Do it."

You suppose she only ever did what she thought was right and Hiss was pretty nasty to her. But eh, you were never particularly fond of her and well...sometimes you just have to harden your heart.
It's not like how it was in Pataliputna. Not the same.

You drink an antimagic flask before backing away.
"Do it."

Zigzag leans in, eyes fixed on the girl.
"Can I have her afterwards?"

You don't dignify that with an answer and Oster brings his sword up and then down, stabbing into the water and into Iana's chest. A bloom of red suddenly taints the water as he pulls the sword free.

She twitches, her eyes flying open and she starts to choke. Whatever was letting her breath down there has been broken and she seems unable to move, bleeding out and drowning at the same time.

You still don't see the wizard anywhere so it's almost a surprise when the pool of water explodes outwards, catching you all in a frozen curse!
Well, it tried any of you. The freezing droplets are repelled by yours and Oster's antimagic, breaking them in the process. Ellesander and Zigzag stand unaffected, the two of them looking around wildly for their attacker.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT," a voice like thunder booms. Ah, that's a wizard shout alright. You recall Old Bart being quite fond of them.
"FIRST YOU THREATEN A CHILD, A BABY, JUST TO KILL ME. AND NOW YOU DEFILE AN INNOCENT? HOW SICK ARE YOU?"

The tree shakes and something is standing in it that wasn't there before, a bark-skinned humanoid not unlike the wizard mannequin you and Hiss defeated in Taldenral. His ire seems to be fixed upon you and you alone.
"WHERE IS YOUR DEMON-GIRL, ALCHEMIST? I HAVE BUSINESS WITH BOTH OF YOU."

Zigzag is looking at the thing, seemingly unable to figure it out while Ellesander also remains still. But she's doing it for a purpose. Oster is slowly stepping in behind the tree, bloody sword raised.

Bart seems to think that because you haven't moved, his bone-numbing cold has worked.

1/2
>>
>>43884411
>Talk to him, stall for time.

>Taunt him, stall for time.

>"What the fuck is this?"

> Pretend to flee.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Other
>>
>>43884411
>>"What the fuck is this?"
interesting rhetoric from the guy with an innocent in his magical incubation business
>>
>>43884436
You're the one who involved her in this. You already knew the type of people you were dealing with.
>>
>>43884411
>"You're one to talk, there were inocents in the house you brought down in Taldenral"
>>
>>43884436

and anons are murderhoboing again.
>>
>>43884436
What were you using this innocent for? And what did you think would happen if you attacked us? You could have left us alone and use your unlimited power for good but you involved this girl in your revenge instead.
>>
>>43884517
to be fair we are in a party with 3 murderhobos, its going to be hard not commit some amoral acts.
>>
>>43884572
Cennen stopped 2 from murderhoboing and hiss only marginally less than zigzag. Also Ellsandra hasn't murderhobo'd at all.
>>
>>43884436
I guess a wizard soul can't last without a real body either. You were using her weren't you?
>>
>>43884517
He would be fighting us from inside her body if we hadn't.
>>
>>43884617
maybe, maybe not

this was another case of preventive pragmatism that might have been unnecessary, but we'll see.
>>
Gonna be really funny if he was just keeping her alive because it was the right thing to do and that was all he could manage or something.
>>
>>43884617
>assumption
This is the Courtesan murder all over again.
>>
>>43884436
If you surrender now I can still save her.
>>
>Talk to him, stall for time

That wooden doll isn't him, it's another caster-body grown from a fusion of wizardly magic and devoured Keeper rites. But where is the real Bart? Hiss kills his body long ago, where would he be now?
Iana? Would he have taken her body as a vessel?

"Like you can talk, you fat fuck."
Gotta stall for time.
"You're the one who involved her in the first place. And for what? A soul can't lost long without rotting if it isn't in a proper body right? Is that what she was for?"
And if you've forced him out of her, where is he now?

Zigzag tries a very basic approximation of a shrug. She isn't interested in talking but she hasn't found anything that she identifies as food yet.

Fortunately Old Bart is always interested in talking.
"DON'T YOU TRY TO LUMP ME IN WITH YOU DEGENERATES, BRAT! I REMEMBER OFFERING YOU AN EXCELLENT DEAL WHEN WE FIRST MET! AND HOW I WAS REPAID? A FIST IN THE FACE AND FANGS IN MY BACK! SHE LENT ME HER BODY BUT ONLY TO STAVE OFF THE ROT, IN OTHER TIMES I LET HER LIVE IN PEACE."

The wooden wizard waves his left arm at you, the one that doesn't have a hand and instead ends in a pseudolimb much like a staff.
"BUT NOW I HAVE YOU ALL TRAPPED. IS IT COLD? THIS IS ALL YOU DESERVE FOR THRICE-DARING THE WRATH OF BART THE WATER WIZARD. LORD OF THE RIVER, MASTER OF THE STORM, MAGISTE ARRGH!"

Oster jumps into the tree behind him and he swivels as if forewarned. Oster ducks beneath the staff and forces himself within his circle of reach, effectively rendering him unable to point his staff at him. You wonder if he's done this before.
He grabs hold of the wooden wizard's head with one hand and slams its neck onto his sword, sawing and hewing it over several seconds of mad flailing until the body drops into the water below.
Oster holds the broken wood head high and then his eyes widen, sensing something. He tries to leap for safety but the tree itself moves!
1/2
>>
>>43884725
A branch whips around and smacks him in the back of the head, another circling around his leg and pulling him into the air.

Ellesander hisses and charges in, Bart initially not even noticing her.
"DID YOU THINK BY BREAKING MY STAVES THAT YOU COULD BREAK ME? TAKE MY RESEVOIRS IF YOU WISH! IT IS NOT WITH WIZARDRY THAT I WILL BREAK YOU."

Ellesander, apparently bereft of any option that can hurt a tree, reaches out to touch it instead. And at that, Bart instantly reacts with yet another branch to knock her away. She's sent flying into another tree, scales protecting her from damage. But the tree she was knocked into writhes, wrapping itself around her.

But why? Why did he care about her just touching him?

Zigzag tries to shrug again. She's really starting to get it down.

> Charge the tree itself.

> Ask Zigzag to do something.

> Try to free Oster.

> Try to free Ellesander.

> Use Potion (Specify)

> Flee

> Other
>>
>>43884818
>> Ask Zigzag to do something.
see if you can snatch his soul out of that tree
>>
>>43884818
Potion Use soulgrasp, Rip him out

Touch the tree there's a soul inside!
>>
>>43884818
>>43884850
Supporting.
>>
>>43884818
There's your treat kiddo
>>
>>43884818
> Charge the tree itself.
Defend us while we attack the tree! Be ready to grab his soul!
Drink soulgrasp, put some soul drift on our blade and slash the tree, hard. Be ready to grab the soul of ZigZag can't
>>
>>43884898
This. Use her as a shield to get close. He'll probably use water from the puddle again.
>>
>Use Soulgrasp
>Ask Zigzag to do something

You pop the Soulgrasp out of your pack and drink it, calling out to Zigzag as best you can.
"You wanted a soul? It's right in there!"

Zigzag looks at you doubtfully before starting foward and you do your best to fall in behind you. You can't ask for a better meatshield.
And while breaking the reservoir embedded in his puppet may have decreased his power, that entire tree used to be staff. There's no fucking way he's out of wizardry.

And yep, the water sprays forward once more. This time he's not trying to curse or freeze you, it's just a hail of frozen splinters promising to turn you into mince, magic protection or no magic protection.
Unfortunately for Bart, Zigzag has a lot more going for her than just magic protection. The burst of ice hits her first and the shrapnel just bounces off, repelled by her scales without even slowing down.

Yes! Zigzag's in front of you so she should stop any that were going to hit you and oh wait, she's like a foot and a half shorter than you. There are still some splinters that just soared over her and they're all coming in head-height.

Roll 1d100 to dodge. Best of the first 3 accepted.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d100)

>>43885062
>>
Rolled 95 (1d100)

>>43885062
duck!
>>
>>43885084
>>43885085
nice save
>>
>>43885085
Haha shit nice one anon
>>
Rolled 13 (1d100)

>>43885062
>>
>>43885062
Well I'm definitely not rolling after that, I rolled that 1 the other day
>>
>>43885084
>>43885130
well at least we got these out of system
>>
>>43885085
You duck down, throwing yourself forward even as you do so and continuing towards the tree. Zigzag is already there, dodging over what's left of the pond and prodding the trunk experimentally.
A branch swings down to swat her away in the same way it had done to Ellesander but Zigzag doesn't budge. You can't help but feel proud of yourself. This is why you selected her! She's not only immune to most magic, she's invulnerable and immovable. And as he keeps trying to push her away with the branch, her scales turn sharp and shred through it without much effort.
She grabs hold of the trunk again, wrapping both arms around it.

Bart screams, an awful shrill sound and every single drop of water left in the grove comes rushing back around him and Zigzag. You duck again but it isn't aimed for you.

Zigzag is still by the tree's base but water has formed and frozen all around her, trapping her entire body within a ball of ice. The tree gingerly pushes her away, the bark of the trunk completely scratched off where Zigzag was hugging it.

So he's really not prepared for you when come in. You touch his trunk and reach with your soul. You catch hold of something intangible, a strange lump of something indescrible in your hand. It's already stretched and eroded by Zigzaw doing most of your job for you so it's not too difficult to start pulling.

"NO! NO! STOP!"
But his branches are either shredded by Zigzag or holding Oster, his grasp of stolen Keeper Art focused on keeping Ellesander trapped and all of what water he had left spent on freezing Zigzag. He has nothing left.
"PLEASE! I'LL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT! STOP!"

> Stop and hear him out.

> Pull that sucker out.

> Other
>>
>>43885259
> Pull that sucker out.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.